• Published 2nd Sep 2015
  • 670 Views, 32 Comments

Malum Prohibitum: Ace Equestrian Attorney - Paradox Theory



The continuing adventures of defense attorney Malum Prohibitum.

  • ...
2
 32
 670

Trial part 3: The truth will set us free.

October 31st 12:00 PM
Canterlot Courthouse
Court room number 2

Everyone was murmuring as the Judge prepared to reconvene the trial.

"We will now continue the trial of uh. . . .who is even on trial at this point?" The judge asked the court.

"Its still the case of Durum Circa." Malum answered.

"Right. The Trial for Durum Circa is now back in session, and we will now here testimony regarding the second murder case." The Judge announced. "Prosecution, you may introduce your witness."

"You all remember Bronze Goblet?" Mora asked the court. "He has agreed to tell us of the second murder."

"But he was blatantly lying before." The Judge hummed, "How do we know he'll be honest this time?"

Mora smiled. "Because he has no reason to, your honor. I firmly believe he wasn't the murderer."

"Hmm." The Judge hummed again, "I'll need more then that to sway me."

Malum cleared his throat. "If your honor would please allow it, I'd like to hear from Bronze as well."

". . . Then I suppose you may begin the testimony." The Judge relented.

Mora slammed her hoof on her desk. "Bronze, tell the court everything you remember about the second murder case and the victim."

Bronze smiled, "Will do."

"Be warned that if you are caught lying at all you will be held in contempt of court." The Judge spoke before Bronze could start.

WITNESS TESTIMONY

"Just like the first murder two years prior, Durum and I came home from another trial."

"We heard the crunch of broken glass, and sped to the study."

"Before Durum could open a door, a thud was heard, following by crying."

"There, inside the study of Mrs. Circa, was the body of a strange pony. And Miss Mora was there, crying."

"So Attorney, are you satisfied yet?"

--End--

". . . ." The Judge had his eyes closed in thought. "Was there anything strange about Miss Mora when you came upon the scene?"

"Absolutely not." Bronze replied.

"Hmmm. . .alright then." The Judge nodded, "Mr. Prohibitum? You may begin the cross examination."

CROSS EXAMINATION

"Just like the first murder two years prior, Durum and I came home from another trial."

"This trial, did it have anything to do with the trial two years before it?" Malum asked.

"Hmm. . .I believe the same mare was on trial, and this time her brother was also their. I believe an order of thieves left a magical bomb there, and ended the case early." Bronze replied.

"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" The Judge hollered. "I remember that case! But. . .the defense attorney there was . . .a Prohibitum."

"What?!" Malum gasped with the rest of the court.

Bronze sneered. "The Prohibitum in question was the father of the attorney before us."

My dad was there. . .of course he was. . . that's when he died. Malum thought before speaking, "So, what happened after that trial?"

"We heard the crunch of broken glass, and sped to the study."

"So why was the glass broken, and where was it from?" Malum wondered.

"I believe the mare had broken in through the window." Bronze stated.

"But why, why would she have any need to break into the study?" Mora hissed, "It's not like anything that was valuable was in there."

"Put simply, she knew about something in the room." Malum answered, "Which is why I know who the "mystery mare" is."

"How could you possibly know who this mare is?" Mora screeched.

"I-I agree with the prosecution. How do you know who this mare is?" The Judge asked.

"Two reasons: First, her motive for being there in Circa's study. Second, her connection to the case that happened earlier that day. This is also how she was there for the first murder." Malum explained.

"One thing at a time Malum. What was her motive?" Mora asked, "What was her reason for being there?"

"The safe." Malum simply stated. "That's the only thing in the study worth inspecting."

"How would she have been able to open the safe? Only my mom knew the combination and the location of the key!" Mora objected.

"Of course Mrs. Circa knew where the key was. She gave it to her sister." Malum replied.

"W-WHAT?!" The Judge exclaimed. "W-who is this alleged sister?"

"The sister of Mrs. Circa is Shrouded Blade. My mother." Malum answered. "Mrs. Circa's real name is Feather Dancer."

"Shrouded. . .and Feather. . . .THOSE TWO WERE TWO OF THE MOST NOTORIOUS THIEVES IN EQUESTRIA!!!" The Judge exclaimed as the entire court burst into chaos, causing the Judge to have to foricibly enact a recess.

--30 Minutes later--

"Now that we are all calmed down." The Judge spoke. "We have to ask. Why is Shrouded Blade important to the case?"

"Exactly," Bronze sneered, "All the attorney did was prove that Shrouded knew the Circa's. How does he plan to prove she had the key? After all, it's not like you found it."

The court turned to see Malum pointing at Bronze, "I have it right here."

"W-WHAAAAAT?!" Bronze panted.

"And I know it's the key because I opened Circa's safe." Malum continued. "But what puzzled me until now were the safe's contents and Shrouded being there that day. Now I understand."

Durum looked up as two mares appeared at Malum's side. He gaped as he realized who they were. The spirits of Feather Dancer and Shrouded Blade.

"Shrouded Blade and her brother Sleuth were found guilty of stealing something very very important, and when she learned that she would be forced to speak the truth. She went to warn her sister Feather Dancer, but then they heard Bronze's voice. Unable to keep the stolen item out of his hooves, Shrouded took the item with her and killed her sister. Then she returned two years later with the same item, to hide it in her sister's safe. Her last act was to teleport the key away to Slueth's hiding spot before she killed herself there in the Circa Manor. That item was finally safe and would continue to be for a few years, until Durum would rewrite his will. This is what happened all those years ago, and this is what they planned for. For that same item to be used here as evidence in another case, so that it would finally be safe with the police. And that it could never be hidden again."

The whole court sat in silence for a few minutes before a pony spoke up.

"W-WAIT!!" Bronze heaved, his usually tidy appearance now gone. "You think you figured all this out huh? You forgot one detail. How do we know it was really her body found at the crime scene? How do you intend to prove it?"

Malum stared at Bronze before looking to Durum, "Durum, please, tell me if both of the mares that were killed in your home are present in this family picture."

Durum stared at the paper for a time before looking at his daughter. "Yes. These two were the victims, my wife and her sister."

"N-N-N-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Bronze howled before falling over.

It was at this time that the Judge recovered from his shock, "Malum, may I ask what exactly you found in the safe?"

"We found two things your honor. First, a record of all the crimes committed by ponies in this city. If you read it you'll find Bronze Goblet listed several times." Malum replied, "The second item is a letter addressed to Mora."

"Hmm." The Judge hummed as he read the crime journal. "What I don't understand is why a crime organization would keep a record. . .with photographic evidence no less."

"That is simple your honor." Malum spoke, "A thief was hired to steal that information. He was hired to record it."

Bronze glared at Malum. "You don't know what you've done boy. An entire crime world is going to hunt you down."

"I don't care. I'm here for the truth. And now I have it." Malum stated before bowing.

The Judge slammed his gavel down to quiet the court room. "In light of all of this and the silence from the Prosecution. I believe I can hand down a proper verdict. Durum CIrca, may you take the sand once more?"

Durum walked back up to the witness stand as the Judge cleared his throat.

"For the murders of Quartz Wine, Feather Dancer, and Shrouded Blade. . .I find the defendant. . ."

N O T G U I L T Y

The court broke out into cheers as someone threw confetti.

"Court is now dismissed." The Judge announced with the final smack of his gavel.

October 31st, 2:30 PM
Canterlot Courthouse
Defendant's Lobby Number One

"You did it Malum." Princess Heart smiled, "I knew you could."

"T-thank you. . .Malum." Durum sighed.

"Are you okay Durum?" Malum asked, looking at the old prosecutor.

"I'll be fine. . .I'm just. . adjusting to being free from Bronze." Durum stated.

"I'm afraid you won't be free just yet." Silver Wings barked as he approached the group. "You still have to answer for concealing evidence and tampering a crime scene."

"I know." Durum smiled. "Thank you for helping them Detective."

Silver Wings's scowl soon broke into a smile. "Yeah, well, Malum here did all the work."

"Not all of it." A new voice spoke up.

"Mora!" Malum exclaimed.

"Hello Mr. Prohibitum. . . " Mora spoke, before looking at Durum and falling silent.

"Mora. . .I'm. . .words can't express how sorry I am for all of this. . ." Durum sighed. Then to his surprise Mora gave him a hug.

"I'm just glad that through all of it, I still have some family left." Mora replied.

"Well, now you and Malum should stick together. The world knows now that you two are the children of thieves." Durum pointed out.

"I know. And I'll keep in touch with him. And you." Mora smiled.

"*AHEM*" Silver wings cleared his throat. "I think it's time I escorted Durum back to the detention center."

The group fell silent. Durum gave his daughter another hug before leaving.

"Malum." Mora spoke.

"Yes?"

"I have something for you." She said, handing him the letter.

"But. . .this was. . .addressed to you." Malum protested.

"I know. But I think you should hang onto it. It was written by your mom." Mora explained.

"What? Why?" Malum asked.

"Seems she snuck into the manor to slip me an apology. It's word for word what you said today. . . ." Mora sighed, "And then she said that other skeletons of her past would soon be revealed. She left this picture behind." Malum looked in surprise as he was handed a picture that seemed to have captured another crime scene.

"I. . .don't know what to say. . " Malum sighed.

"She said if there are any contradictions, you'd find them." Mora finished explaining. "And thank you, for helping us resolve the past."

So Mora gave me a quick hug before leaving. Silver Wings soon returned and offered to take me and Princess Heart to a restaurant. But something in that picture was nagging at me. Both me and Heart stared at it for awhile as we ate, before I finally saw it. This murder was. . . .



The End

Written By Paradox Theory
Inspired by the Phoenix Wright game series.

Author's Note:

Well, it's finally done. The last chapter of the fic. I hope you enjoyed reading it.

I know, it was kinda rushed, but I couldn't keep delaying it. . .it had to be finished.

Happy New Years to you all.

Comments ( 4 )

Is this series at all related to the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney/My Little Pony crossover you can find on YouTube?

7597858 But... didn't you say in the synopsis that this is the last story in this series that you'll write?

7828633 Ehhh. . . .yes and no. Yes, this is the last part of the Malum Prohibitum series. . .but I had a sequal series called "Masked Truths" planned.

Login or register to comment