• Published 2nd Sep 2015
  • 666 Views, 32 Comments

Malum Prohibitum: Ace Equestrian Attorney - Paradox Theory



The continuing adventures of defense attorney Malum Prohibitum.

  • ...
2
 32
 666

Prologue

My name, is Malum. Malum Prohibitum.

One year ago, I was in my first case.

The crime: An illegal time spell was cast. The defendant: Twilight Sparkle.

After a long battle in court, I found the truth: It was just a set up by a jealous prince.

Now, I sit in my new office building, waiting for a case.

My office building is about 3 stories tall, the bottom floor is a lobby. The middle is where my office is. The third floor is where I live.

And how could I have afforded an entire office building? I was paid by none other then Princess Celestia herself.

But, it seems that Equestria is a relatively crime free place, as it's been a year since I had a case.

So, here I sit, in April 7th, waiting for a case.

Little did I know that one was coming.


April 7, 10:30 AM
Prohibitum and Co Law Offices

I sighed. There was nothing to do. My office was silent except for the ticking of my clock. As I tapped my hoof on my desk, I thought about just walking around town.

Then an idea hit me, I should check my newspaper.

Getting off my chair, I walked out of the office and to the stairs. The paper always sits in the lobby, as I leave it there incase I get swamped. As if. . .

I opened the paper and began to read. . . Twilight and her friends just fought off some monster thing that called himself Tirek. I knew that though. . . Pinkie plans her biggest party yet for a group of yaks, interesting but not what I want to know. As I continued to read, I didn't notice the mare that was about to barge in.

CRASH!

"Excuse me! Are you a defense attorney?" A light purple mare asked, flicking her dark green mane out of her eyes.

"I am, and you are?" I asked her, wondering what exactly was going on.

"My name is Vivid Dream, and I have to ask you to not defend a pony." Vivid explained.

"What?!" I shouted, "Why?!"

"Because he killed my sister! I know he did. . he's," She paused and grew quiet. "a Changeling."

I pondered it for a moment before smiling at her, "I'm going to the detention center."

"Wh-" Vivid went to say before I left the building. "Wait for me!"


April 7, 11:00 PM
Canterlot Detention Center
Visitors Room No1

I looked at the changeling through the glass divider. He was still as stone, and his face was emotionless.

"Hello." I said, taking a deep breath, "My name is Malum, what's yours?"

The changeling didn't even glance at me, "Velum"

"Velum," I hesitated before continuing, "Did you really do it?"

"No!" He growled, "I didn't! I don't even know who died!"

"Did they tell you who died?" I asked quietly.

"Some unicorn, Starry Skies, I think." Velum answered quickly.

"That's my sister! She was found dead in her apartment!" Vivid spoke up.

"I'm sorry for your loss." Velum told her, "But I never talked to her, hardly even seen her."

"Wait, so how did they tie you to this crime?" I wondered.

"Simple, I live in the same building. I have to walk past her apartment." Velum answered.

"But they could practically pull the entire building in here with only that to go off of!" I protested.

"That's what I told the police. But they found something of mine near the body." Velum explained.

"What was it?" I asked him.

"Instructions from Princess Heart, my superior." Velum answered.

"Princess Heart?" I wondered aloud, "I thought your ruler was Queen Chrysalis?"

"As if," Velum scoffed, "Princess Heart is Chrysalis's daughter."

"HER DAUGHTER?!" I all but shouted.

"Don't worry your pony head off about it." Velum chuckled, "Princess Heart wishes to undo the damage her mother caused."

"Then that brings up a very important question," I realised, "What is the motive?!"

Velum studied me. "That's what I kept telling them, I have no motive."

"Did they say anything about it?" I asked.

"They said that being a disciple of Princess Heart was just a cover. They said I worked for her mother." Velum answered with a sigh.

"Velum, I want to-" I went to say, only to be cut off.

"Are you serious?!" Vivid exclaimed, "He's a changeling for Celestia's sake!"

"I am serious, Vivid." I told her, "Velum, I want to defend you in court tomorrow." I told Velum, presenting my attorney's badge.

Velum smiled for the first time, "I needed a lawyer anyways. Why not the one who saved a princess?"

I smiled back, "All right, do you have any suggestions as to where I should look first?"

"Well, I'll let you guys search my apartement if it helps." Velum said, "I think the police are still at Skies's apartment, so I'd stay away from there."

I gave a curt nod, "Then I think it's time I start the investigation!"

Author's Note:

Right off the bat we have a changeling. . . this is going to be fun.

Princess Heart belongs to GIGA-XISBASS.

I want to say Vivid Dream was named by Wish I Was There. . . but I don't know for sure.

Court Record:
Profiles:
Malum Prohibitum: Me. A defense attorney. Wha else can I say?
Vivid Dream: Sister of the victim.
Starry Skies: The victim in this case. Was found in her apartment.
Velum: A changeling who was accused of murdering Starry.
Princess Heart: Velum's boss.

Evidence:
Defense Attorney's badge: Proof that I am an attorney.
Royal Slip: This can be used to search high security areas in the castle should a princess be accused.