• Published 2nd Sep 2015
  • 668 Views, 32 Comments

Malum Prohibitum: Ace Equestrian Attorney - Paradox Theory



The continuing adventures of defense attorney Malum Prohibitum.

  • ...
2
 32
 668

Turnabout Thievery Day 2: Investigation

September 15, 2:30 PM
Canterlot Palace
Garden Entrance

Malum and Vivid looked around the hall. It seemed like the rest of the palace. Clean and shiny.

"So, how are we supposed to find clues here when this place is spotless?" Vivid asked.

"We're not." Malum stated matter-of-factly. "We're here to see if there's even the slightest chance the victim could've moved through here without being caught."

With that, Malum examined the hall again. There were pillars lining it, but none of them were big enough to hide behind. He also noted the curtains, all of them were drawn up. If the victim really entered the garden from the palace, he didn't hide.

"It doesn't look like there's much else we can get from here." Malum sighed, "And It doesn't look good."

"So what now?" Vivid wondered.

Malum walked towards the exit, "Guess we check the gardens."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 15, 2:40 PM
Canterlot Statue Gardens
East Side

Immediately upon entering the gardens Malum went up to the northern walls. He combed through them until he noticed the northbound hoofprints that met up with the wall. He looked closer and noticed a rust colored feather on the ground.

"Well, I sure hope that guard is a pegasus, or I have nothing that'll tie him to the case." Malum sighed as he put the feather in his pocket.

"So, are we literally done?" Vivid asked softly.

"Yup, this was my shortest investigation ever. Now I jut hope I can tie the evidence over." Malum sighed.

"I think we should go ask sleuth a few more questions." Vivid suggested.

Malum nodded, "It wouldn't hurt."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 15, 2:50

"How can I help you guys?" Sleuth asked.

"Well, I thought I'd go over evidence while asking you a few more questions." Malum said opening his bags

"Alright, shoot."

Malum picked up the first piece of evidence. The Contract. "I'd like to know more about these contracts."

"In order to keep our code of honor, all thieves have contracts." Sleuth explained, "And all thieves are told about said contract so that no one can intervene."

"Who knew?" Vivid smiled, "Thieves with honor."

"So, you knew about the Black Bandits plan?" Malum summed up.

"Yup." Sleuth confirmed.

Malum looked back to the contract. In one corner was a strange golden seal that depicted a griffon. "And this seal, is it on all the contracts?"

"No." Sleuth answered, staring at the seal, "The Contracts are blank until the one who issued it uses a seal of their own, if they have one."

Malum quickly jotted down the information in his notebook. "Ok, next we got. . .This feather." Malum said, "Did it come from a pegasus?"

Sleuth's eyes traced the feather for a bit. "Yes, that is indeed a pegasus feather."

"Alright. I think that's all." Malum sighed, "Still not much to go on."

"Malum, before you go, did. . . did you see. . " Sleuth whispered, "Did you see a mare in front of you during the trial earlier?"

Malum's eyes widened, "You saw her too?"

"I did." Sleuth answered, "She was my sister but. . ."

"But what?" Malum pressed, now aching for the rest of Sleuth's thought.

Sleuth stared in Malum's eyes, "She looked like you."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Court Record:

Profiles:
Malum Prohibitum: Me, I'm a defense attorney, what more can I say?
Vivid Dream: My friend and assistant.
Sleuth: The suspect of the crime. Claims to be a thief.
Silver Wings: The Detective in charge of this case. Smells like instant noodles.
Durum Circa: The prosecutor in charge of this case and my rival.
The Black Bandit: True identity unknown, is the victim for this case. Was hired to steal from the defendant.
Sadet: The gardener for the Canterlot Gardens.
The Judge: Just. . .the judge. I don't know what he does in his spare time.
Shrouded Blade(?): Appeared to me during the first day of the trial. Sleuth says she has some resemblance to me.

Evidence:
Attorney's Badge: Proof of my profession.
Royal slip: Gives me free reign to search the castle should one of the Princesses be accused.
Crime Scene(new): At least four sets of hoof prints were located on the scene. Two going East, one West, and one North. A feather was found by the north bound prints.
Shrouded Blade's letter: A letter to Slueth from his sister. Details a plot to hide incriminating evidence from a member of the Canterlot Council.
Contract(new): A Contract signed by the Black Bandit. The purpose is to retrieve certain items from the gardens. Bears a seal that is unfamiliar to Sleuth.
Key: An old key found in a hollowed out statue. It is unknown what lock it fits into.
Picture: A picture of Sleuth and his sisters.
Autopsy Report: The victim died of poisoning, or a stab wound. No one knows which happened first.
Knife: The knife used to stab the victim.
Feather(new): A feather, found on the crime scene. Belongs to a pegasus.