• Published 13th Nov 2011
  • 2,819 Views, 21 Comments

Ponyville Tales - Silverquill



A collection of short stories, each one covering a different member of the mane 6.

  • ...
3
 21
 2,819

Castle Crashing

The guards halted, the carriage they were pulling rolling to a stop. A light gray servant-stallion walked up to the carriage, opening the door and stepping aside with a bow. The carriage rattled around a bit as the riders within got to their feet, chatting excitedly amongst themselves. With a hop, the first pony let herself out into the cool night air.

A purple unicorn was the first out, turning and smiling towards the servant like he was an old friend. She stood aside as more ponies stepped out: An orange pony settling a hat on her head, followed by a pink mare practically bouncing out of the carriage. Following after them was a white unicorn and a yellow pegasus, with the procession finally ending when a blue Pegasus flew out of the vehicle fast enough to spin the servant around. Shaking his head, the servant brushed off his coat and closed the carriage door.

“Hey! What’s the big idea?”

Startled, the servant opened the door up again. A small, purple dragon stared back, tapping his foot. “Much better.” The baby dragon hopped out, moving to join back up with the group of mares. The purple unicorn motioned for him to climb up, and the dragon did. The group started up a set of marble stairs, approaching the famous Canterlot Castle. The dragon took in the sights of the majestic stone structure, home to Equestria’s very own diarchy, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. The group approached the shimmering white walls of the castle, approaching a large wooden door. With a creak, the door seemed to open towards the mares all on its own. The group stepped inside, chatting all the way as the door closed behind them.


Inside the castle, the pack of ponies found themselves in front of an elegant staircase inside the main hall, a hallway set on each side of the stairway. Their eyes followed the stairs upwards until they rested on the regal figure of their Princess of the Sun: Celestia.

“Welcome, my faithful student Twilight Sparkle,” Celestia greeted, the purple unicorn smiling as her name was called. “And greetings to all of her friends as well. Pinkie Pie…” The pink pony hopped up and down happily. “Applejack…” The orange pony took her hat off gave a little bow. “Rarity…” The white unicorn bowed down low, eager to show how cultured she was. “Rainbow Dash…” The blue Pegasus saluted. “And last but not least, Fluttershy,” Celestia finished, the yellow pegasus blushing and hiding behind her hair. The dragon cleared his throat and the princess smiled. “And Spike, of course. How could I forget?”

Twilight stepped forward, bowing down. “It’s a pleasure to be here, princess. But, if you don’t mind me asking… why were we called?”

“If I recall correctly, our recent gala event left a few certain ponies unsatisfied,” Celestia began. “And that is why I called you here, Twilight Sparkle, as well as your friends. What kind of teacher would I be if I were to let my student or her associates be wronged? So I invited you here to dine with me tonight, where we can see what we shall do about your issues with the gala… and come the morrow, we shall fix what has gone wrong. Tonight, if you wish, you may stay at the palace and accept my offer, or go home and be brought back again the next day.”

The ponies were in awe. A personal request to stay at Canterlot Castle, from the princess herself? “A-are you sure, princess?” Twilight Sparkle asked. Celestia nodded, smiling down at her subjects. “Well…” Twilight looked to her friends, all of them nodding eagerly at her. “…we would be honored to accept your generous offer.”

“Most excellent,” Celestia said. “I have pressing matters to attend to, but worry not, I’ll meet you all for supper within the next few hours. By all means, feel free to explore the grounds. Until then, my little ponies.” With that, the princess turned and left through the doorway behind her, the door closing with a click. The ponies watched her leave before Twilight turned to the rest.

“Okay… we’re guests of the princess… so we have to be on our BEST behavior. Okay, girls?” The other mares all voiced their agreement. “Thank you,” Twilight said. She paused and did a quick head count on the mares before her. One… two… three… four. Four?! Twilight glanced around in a panic, seeking out the missing pony. Down the rightmost hallway was Pinkie Pie, happily bouncing along the passage. “Pinkie? PINKIE!”

The pink pony paid her no mind as she headed down the hall, turning the corner as she hummed a tune. Twilight let Spike off her back and ran down the hall, looking around. “Where… how… PINKIE!” She groaned, Pinkie Pie having disappeared from sight. She looked to her remaining friends. “Stay here, girls, I’m going to go find her. Be right back!” Leaving them alone in the main hall, Twilight began her trip through the mazelike corridors of the castle, having only her memories of past trips through its confusing halls to guide her.

Rarity huffed. “Well, I have no intention of moving. We DO have to make a good impression… right, ladies?” Rarity turned to see the nods of Applejack and Rainbow Dash… but no Fluttershy.

“Fluttershy? Flutters!” Rarity looked around, seeking out their missing friend. She spotted the yellow pegasus running down the leftmost hallway, Fluttershy looking like she knew where she was going. “Fluttershy, dear, wait! Slow down! Come back! Oh dear…” The Pegasus rounded a corner and Rarity groaned, beginning to run after her. “You three stay here, please,” she called over her shoulder, “Celestia forbid we end up with ANOTHER pony to find!” Rarity turned the corner, heading out of sight.

Applejack let out a low whistle. “Well, thingss are gettin’ off on the right hoof already.” She heard the castle’s main door creak open behind her, turning to see the cause. Rainbow Dash, now with Spike on her back, was trying to sneak out the main entrance. “And where in tarnation do ya’ll think yer goin’?”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “Nopony’s gonna mind if I stretch my wings while we wait for everypony to get rounded back up. Spike wanted to come along, got a problem with that?”

“Well ah, fer one, am gonna stay right here and wait.” Applejack planted her flank firmly on the floor. “Go ahead and ignore yer friend’s request, but don’t expect me to vouch for ya when they get back and you’re nowhere ta be found.”

“You’ll vouch for me?” Rainbow Dash said, clearly ignoring the first half of the statement. “Great! Be back in a flash!” With Spike in tow, the pegasus exited the front door and let it close. Applejack heard a soft fluttering of flapping wings come from outside as her friend took to the skies. Left alone, Applejack sighed and laid down, determined to be the only pony with will strong enough to not wander off.

A minute passed… then five… then ten. “Whelp, this is borin‘. Maybe the others need mah help chasin’ down the runners.” Applejack rose to her feet, playing a quick game of EenyMeenyMineyMoe to determine which hallway to take. Landing on the rightmost path, she headed down it, leaving the main hall completely empty.


Pinkie Pie bounced through the halls, taking ‘make yourself at home’ a little bit too literally. Humming an upbeat tune, she rounded yet another corner into a carpeted corridor. She’d just begun humming the tune over again for the twenty-fourth time when a wonderful smell washed over her.

Mmmm! Pinkie’s lookin’ for some cookin’! Tracking the smell to a door farther down the hall, she pushed it open with a hoof and entered. Inside, she found herself in a tiled room, stoves and shelves all over the place. Working at numerous stations were ponies dressed up in chef outfits, running back and forth in order to prepare whatever they were working on as perfectly as they could.

“Ve need four cupz of sugar, station two! Go, go, go!” A light brown pony sporting a chocolate-colored mane, tail, and moustache, passed by Pinkie. He stopped bellowing orders and turned, noticing the intruder. “Who iz dis?” He wondered aloud, picking at his facial hair in contemplation. “Ve ‘ave to prepare for ze dinner tonight for ze princess and her guests, no time to deal with vou! Skedaddle!” The chef pony began nudging Pinkie out of the room, ignoring her protests.

“Hold on there Flambé,” called out a female chef pony from across the room. “That mare you’re shoving IS one of the guests.”

The first chef stopped trying to kick Pinkie out long enough to eye her up and down. “Oh, so it is! My apologies for my rudeness, mizz… I am Flambé, head chef of zis kitchen.” The chef bowed low, picking up Pinkie’s hoof and kissing it. Pinkie giggled, the chef giving her a curious look. “Pardon?”

“Your moustache… so tickly!”

“Oui, I suppose it is. Come, let me make it up to vou for my brashness. Let me give vou ze tour of Canterlot’s elegant kitchen!”

“Okie Dokie!” Pinkie chimed, beginning to follow Flambé around the room. They passed station after station, the head chef pointing out what each one was currently preparing.

“And zis one… zis pony right here, he makes ze best marrowroot gumbo vou will EVER taste!” Flambé rambled, his hoof around the arm of a nervous-looking chef. With a gentle push, he nudged the chef back to his station, moving on to continue the tour. Pinkie followed, but paused as the tour passed right by an ornate double door.

“Ooo, Commander Chef, the tour has a question!” Pinkie called out, causing Flambé to turn to her.

“Zat would be?”

“What’s behind this?” Pinkie questioned, pointing towards the door.

“Well, let me show vou.” Flambé moved to the door, nudging it open with his head. Pinkie looked into room and gasped. She’d found paradise.

Sweets of all varieties adorned the walls and floor; cakes and cookies resting on shelves while bottles of juice and sacks of sugar cluttered the floor. Pinkie’s jaw hit the ground, and she shoved it back into place as the chef closed the door again.

“Zat is ze sweet storage, where we keep our desserts. If vou have still have room after supper, maybe vou will get to try one of our sugary concoctions. Shall we move on?”

Without waiting for an answer, the chef walked away. Pinkie waited for him to get far enough away, checking to make sure no other cooks were watching. She gently pushed open the door with one hoof, looked around warily one last time, and slipped into the sugary wonderland unnoticed.


“Pinkie! PINKIE!”

Twilight huffed, the run through the castle’s halls starting to get to her. Not that she was a very athletic pony in the first place, of course. She opened another door, seeing if the pink pony had slipped in there. “Oh boy, another supply closet. Next…” Twilight groaned, shutting the door. “Next one has to be it…”

She ran to the next door, pausing to catch her breath. Believing herself to be ready, she opened the door.

“Oh… wow.”

Twilight stepped within, stepping closer to the thousands of books within. She’d stumbled upon the library, one of her favorite places to visit when she was a filly. Momentarily forgetting her renegade friend, the unicorn moved throughout the room, taking in the familiar sights. She crossed through an aisle, filled to the brim with Old Equestrian folklore, and found herself in a studying area. Huh. That’s new…

The new area wasn’t large, just a big wooden table and a couple silky cushions to sit on. The table was completely loaded down with books, and one was being read right now. Twilight stepped closer to the other pony in the room, who’d just noticed the newcomer.

“Luna?”

The moon princess smiled, placing a hoof in her book to mark her place. “Twilight! We…” she paused. “…I, am glad to see you.”

“Likewise, princess.” Twilight bowed low.

“Please, Twilight Sparkle, you of all ponies should know that isn’t necessary.” Luna teased. Twilight blushed and stood up.

“Sorry… I see you’ve been working on modernizing?”

Luna nodded. “All these new addendums, rules, customs… it’s enough to even make a princess weary. I didn‘t even have the time to visit the gala, what with all the studying. Speaking of the gala, I understand that the events transpiring there are why my sister invited you here today?”

“That’s right.” A realization suddenly hit Twilight. “Oh, that’s right! Listen, have you seen Pinkie Pie bounce through here? You remember her… the eccentric one?”

“Oh, yes, I remember her,” Luna said with a giggle. “But no… I haven’t seen your friend.”

Twilight frowned. “Oh.” She sighed, turning to go. “Well… I need to find her. It was nice seeing you again, Luna.”

“And you too, Twilight,” Luna replied, sounding disappointed. “Come back anytime. I’ll be here, catching up on Equestrian Arcane Theory, volume seven.”

Twilight paused, slowly turning around. “…volume seven, you say?”

“That’s right.”

“I’ve been unable to find that for months! It’s the only one in the series I don’t have!” Twilight leapt onto the cushion next to Luna, leaning forward on the table to get a closer look at the tome.

“Weren’t you trying to find your friend, Twilight?”

“Oh… right. Well… I’m sure she’ll be fine on her own for now. I won’t stay long.” Twilight pointed towards the text. “Which part are you on?”

Luna smiled, happy to have some company. “Well, let’s see…”


Fluttershy peeked outside, the garden looking just as it had the last time she’d been here. She stepped outside, staying as quiet as possible, approaching the herd of animals that were inhabiting the middle of it. She approached slowly, edging closer to the crowd of exotic birds, rare critters, and even kangaroos. Don’t you worry, little fellas, Flutters just wants to be your friend…

She made it to the very edge of the herd, finding herself right at the feet of an unaware flamingo. She tentatively reached out with her hoof, touching the pink bird’s leg.

“Hello there, little guy… I’m…”

The flamingo pulled its leg back and let out a squawk, taking to the sky. All the other animals turned to see what the commotion was, only to see the intruder in their midst. The peaceful scene went crazy as animals started to flee in all directions.

“Wait!” Fluttershy called out, raising a hoof. It was no use; the clearing was empty within moments. “I just want… to be your friend…” Fluttershy sighed, before a devious plan formed in her mind. She approached a tree in the garden and tore some branches down. “Sorry about this, Mr. Oak…” She began twisting branches together, clearly making something. She chuckled softly, the laugh slowly growing more ominous…


Rarity turned another corner. “A wonderful surprise… yet another hallway.” She huffed and began running again, already exhausted. She passed by an open door on her left, in pursuit of her friend. Wait one moment… open door?

Rarity paused and went back, inspecting the door that was open just a crack. “Fluttershy, if you’re in there, say something dear!” When she was met with nothing but silence, the unicorn took matters into her own hooves and stepped into the room.

She found herself in a bedchamber, complete with a balcony off to the left. What really caught her eye, though, was the object taking up half the room.

“…a… racecarriage bed?”

Rarity stepped closer to the bed, which was shaped like one of the bright red carriages that racers often used for the competitions in Manehatton. She moved to the side of the room, bumping into a cabinet. Curious, she looked inside, surprised to find a large number of animal plushies inside. She read the a note pinned to the inside of the door: BLUEBLOOD’S PERSONAL COLLECTION, KEEP OUT. THAT MEANS YOU, HOOVESWORTH.

This is that rapscallion’s room? She thought. She took a look at the bed and the collection again and giggled. Oh, this is too good! Wait until the ladies hear about this!

Trying to keep her giggles from becoming full-fledged laughter, Rarity shut the cabinet and walked out onto the balcony. She finally lost it, laughter pouring out of her as she tried to keep standing. After a moment she stood up, wiping a tear from her eye. Something caught her attention. Huh… what’s this? She noticed an easel seated right at the edge of the balcony, facing towards her. She stepped closer and inspected it.

This… this is… beautiful. She found herself looking at a painting, a very well-drawn representation of the night sky. Stars dotted the canvas, each one so well pronounced that they almost seemed to glow. Lightly faded lines connected some of them, forming a kind of constellation on the canvas. So this is his talent?

Rarity had to admit, for a scoundrel, he had an amazing ability for drawing the night sky. She admired it a moment longer before turning to go, satisfied that Fluttershy wasn’t here.

Click.

Rarity paused at the sound of the room’s door opening and ducked to the side of the balcony’s exit, pressing herself against the wall. Someone’s coming! What will they think if they find me in here?!

Staying absolutely silent, Rarity listened as an unfortunately familiar voice began talking. “Augh… it smells like commoner in here.” Blueblood?!

She stayed completely still as she listened to the prince walk around his room. She heard the cabinets she’d opened being investigated. “Hoovesworth! He’s been rummaging through my collection AGAIN. How many times must I tell that yokel that he can go get his own collection.” Rarity listened as Blueblood rearranged a few things. “Don’t worry, Prince Bluewhale and Rock Lobster, I’ll make sure that nosy servant is put in his place.”

Rarity pressed herself farther against the wall as the prince closed the cabinet and started walking out onto the balcony. He passed right by the hiding unicorn, not seeing her. He sat in front of the easel and grabbed the paint palette sitting next to it. Resting it on his hoof, he grabbed a paint brush and dabbed it into the colors resting on the palette. He hummed to himself, touching up his painting as he did so.

Oh Celestia, help me. I have to get out of here... Rarity took a tentative step towards the exit, apparently loud enough to get Blueblood to raise his head up and listen attentively. Hearing nothing, he shrugged and resumed his work. Oh dear… I’m a goner. My reputation will NEVER live this down…

Rarity glanced towards the balcony’s edge, seeing if there was a trellis she could possibly escape with. She found herself looking into Rainbow Dash’s face. Rarity covered her mouth, restraining a gasp, and decided now was not the time to ask why the pegasus had disobeyed Twilight’s request… or why she had Spike on her back. Help… me… Rarity mouthed. With a grin, Rainbow Dash nodded and quietly let herself off the balcony, flying to the prince’s front side.


“Hey, princie!”

Blueblood looked up from his work. “Huh?”

Rainbow Dash stuck out her tongue, shaking her head back and forth. “I never!” The prince exclaimed, completely distracted. Rainbow Dash watched with satisfaction as her stuck friend quietly slipped off the balcony and into the room, making a run for the door and escaping. Her task completed, the pegasus took off, ignoring the prince’s threats of calling the guards.

“Good one, Rainbow Dash!” Spike congratulated her, reaching down to high-five the pegasus.

“Ain’t nothin’ to it, Spike.” Though I’m sure gonna enjoy teasing Rarity about why she was on the prince’s balcony, Rainbow Dash mused. “Hold on, we’re going in for a landing!”

Spike clung to her back as the pegasus looped around, flying to the highest part of the castle. Finding an open window, the duo landed on the threshold. Spike hopped off, landing inside the carpeted room. “You were right Rainbow, that beats the hay out of waiting in the main hall.”

“Was there ever any doubt?” Rainbow Dash teased. She looked around the room they’d landed in. “Better question… where are we?”

They’d ended up in someone’s bedroom, lavishly decorated. Two beds sat next to each other; one with shiny white silk sheets, and the other covered with a dark purple blanket. Spike seemed to tense up. “I don’t think we should be in here.”

“Why’s that?”

“Taking a wild guess here… this is Celestia and Luna’s room.”

“…Cool!”

“Cool?”

“Yeah! I’ve gotta see this.” Rainbow Dash hopped off the window ledge and approached a dresser, ignoring Spike’s protests. She opened the top drawer and gasped as she saw hundreds of glimmering gems within. Spike quieted down and looked in awe at the banquet before him.

“Still think we shouldn’t be here?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“I… we shouldn’t… well, I’m sure they won’t miss one or two of these.”

“Chow down!” Rainbow Dash said. She walked over to a wardrobe next to Celestia’s bed while Spike took his pick of gems to eat. Opening it, she saw a number of accessories and garments inside.

“Boring.” She glanced up to the top shelf. Wait… is that a… Wonderbolts souvenir collector’s shirt? Ohmygoshohmygosh those are practically NONEXISTANT! Rainbow Dash flew up, taking a hold of the shirt. They won’t mind if I try it on…

She pulled the shirt towards herself, huffing when it snagged on something. She yanked it towards her hard. “C’mon… stupid… thing…” She tugged more and more, pausing when she heard a creaking. She flew back quickly as the cabinet she was infiltrating fell over from Rainbow Dash’s pulling, falling onto and smashing Celestia’s bed. “Whoa!”

Spike looked up, a load of gems filling his arms. “What’s going on?” Rainbow Dash flew to him and picked him up off the ground, causing him to drop his jackpot. “Hey! What’s the big idea?”

“No time, we gotta get out of here!” She flew them out the window, getting tangled up in the curtains as she did so. She twisted and turned until she flung them off, tearing them off the wall and depositing them on the floor. “Can it get any worse?!” Without waiting to see if it could, she fled back in the direction of the main entrance.


“You in here, Twilight?”

Applejack took her head out of another pantry. “Guess not.” She’d been going door to door, trying to find any of her missing friends. So far, no luck. Moving to the next door in the hall, she tried again. She peeked in, seeing a large pool set in the floor. A cleaner was scrubbing the floors, and he waved his hat at her before resuming his work. “Pool room… nope.”

She went down to the next room. Inside was a pool table, where a couple of staff members making use of the table gave her a fierce look as she interrupted their game. “Pool room… nope.”

Next room: A laboratory filled to the brim with vials of chemicals and testing equipment. “Lab… nope.”

Next: A room filled with a number of pets. Out of the pack came a yellow dog, who came up and licked Applejack’s face. “Lab… nope.”

She went down to the next room, peeking her head in. Someone shrieked and she exited quickly, shutting the door. “Erm… sorry, mam!” She called out, continuing down the hall. …Wait a second… we don’t usually wear clothes.

Discarding that thought, she went to the next room. She peeked her head in before pulling back and slamming the door, leaning her body against it as something pounded on the door. “Why the HAY do they have a bear room?!”

After the door stopped rocking, Applejack went down to the last room in the hall. She stepped inside…


“And after Columbine the Fifth was removed from the position of mayor of Trottingham, the fifteenth addendum was added to the city’s municipal law.”

Twilight rubbed her chin. “Fascinating, Luna… but what about the unspeakable act done by Clarity in the fifth century? Surely that would have achieved the same addendum, and much sooner too.”

“That’s a good point, Twilight, but…”

“There ya are!”

Twilight and Luna looked to see who’d interrupted their discussion. Applejack walked up to them, grabbing Twilight by the hoof. “Ah’ve been lookin’ all over for everypony! Something told me ah’d find ya in the library. Ya ever find Pinkie Pie?”

Sudden realization struck the unicorn. “Pinkie! I completely forgot!” Twilight groaned. “And the others are gone too? Just great.” She turned to Luna. “How long have we been here?”

“About an hour, I believe.”

Twilight groaned. “Sorry Luna, but we have to go.” She got up, walking away with Applejack.

“Alright, come back anytime. See you at dinner!” Luna called out, returning to her studying. Twilight and Applejack found the exit, beginning the search for Pinkie Pie once again.


“Sacrebleu! She is a MADMARE!”

Applejack and Twilight spun out as a pony in a chef outfit raced by them, followed by a crowd of similarly dressed ponies. Twilight’s horn lit up as she grabbed one of the stampede’s stragglers with her magic, halting him in his place. “Hold it one moment. What’s going on?”

The chef, a new one by the looks of him, fidgeted his hooves nervously. “The kitchen has been taken over! Some sugar-crazed mare chased everypony away when we found her devouring our entire sugar storage!”

Twilight and Applejack looked at each other. “Pinkie Pie,” they agreed. “Where’s the kitchen?” Twilight asked the chef.

“Take a right, third door down!”

“Thank you!” Letting the chef go, the two mares raced down the hall, following his directions. They ended up at their destination and entered, flinching as a sack of sugar smashed into the wall beside them.

“It’s mine! All mine! No one keeps Pinkie from the treats!” The newcomers watched as Pinkie retreated behind a wall of sugar sacks she’d arranged into an impromptu fort. Taking advantage of the momentary ceasefire, Twilight and Applejack rushed the fort, leaping over its tasty battlements. They found Pinkie reloading on pastry projectiles, the sugar-crazed mare leaping up in surprise as her friends snuck up on her.

“Candy Castle is under attack! YOU’LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE!” Pinkie Pie dodged around her friends and climbed on top of a big pile of sugar, before swan diving off it and into a pile of cakes. Twilight and Applejack looked at each other in confusion before dumping out a sack of sugar and throwing the bag over Pinkie. “Hey! No fair!”

Applejack tied the bag closed and slung it onto her back, she and Twilight ignoring Pinkie’s protests. “Alright, we finally found her, “ Twilight said. “Let’s head back to the main entrance; maybe the others have come back by now.”

Applejack nodded in agreement, and the mares set off for the entrance, making sure their sugar-overdosing friend stayed securely on Applejack’s back.


“Oh, animal friends, I’ve got a treat for you…”

Fluttershy hid behind a tree, peeking out to see her latest trap: A pitfall, where the bait was a cupcake she’d stolen from one of the rooms near the garden. All her other traps had failed… the net, the snare, even the one where she disguised herself as a rock. The animals simply refused to be caught, let alone befriend her. She refused to give in until she’d befriended at least ONE of the stubborn creatures.

She heard something coming and hid behind the tree again. Yes, nothing to fear, friend… just a little closer… She heard a thump as her trap sprung, something falling into the pit. At last!

Fluttershy stepped out from behind the tree, heading towards the pit. “Sorry for the trick, little fella, but now we can be friends and…” She paused, seeing that the thing in the pit was NOT what she was hoping for.

“I… just wanted a snack, dear… can you help me up?” Rarity smiled sheepishly, extending a hoof. Fluttershy reached down and pulled her out of the trap.

“Oh, I’m so sorry Rarity… really, really sorry…”

Rarity shuddered, noticing all the dirt on herself. “It’s… fine, I suppose. But where did you go? I’ve been looking everywhere for you!”

“I just wanted to make friends with the royal animals… I’m sorry…”

“A lovely thought, dear, but don’t you think making an animal fall into a hole might hurt them a little?”

Fluttershy hid herself behind her wing. “I… I was so desperate to get them to stop running from me, I guess I got carried away…” Fluttershy whimpered. “I… I think I’m ready to go back now.”

Rarity wrapped an arm around the yellow pegasus. “There, there, darling… you did your best. Maybe we can visit tomorrow morning… after I get a nice, long bath, of course. Let’s get back to the main hall, our friends must be worried sick.” She looked up as a rustling in the branches above them stole her attention. “…Rainbow Dash?”

Rainbow Dash dropped out of the tree and landed next to her friends, looking nervous with Spike in tow. “Good, you found Fluttershy… quick, let’s get back to the main entrance! Alibis are good!”

“What are you going on about, dear? And why are you he-?

“No time! Quick, Fluttershy, help me out here!” Rainbow Dash deposited Spike onto Rarity’s back and took her by the hoof, motioning for Fluttershy to do the same. Despite the unicorn’s protests, the four of them took to the skies, heading towards the main entrance.


Applejack gently lowered the bag off her back, Pinkie having quieted down awhile ago. They’d finally found their way back to the main hall, finding it empty upon their return. Twilight untied the sack and Pinkie Pie flopped out, looking exhausted. “Sugar rush… wearing off… must get back to… my kingdom…” she moaned.

“I don’t think you’ll be having any dessert tonight, Pinkie,” Twilight scolded. “Applejack, you stay here and watch her, I’ll go find the oth-”

The front door burst open, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash depositing Rarity and Spike on the floor. Rainbow Dash quickly leaned against the wall, inspecting her hooves and acting like nothing was wrong. Twilight blinked. “Well… alright then. Now that we’re all here…”

Twilight quieted down when the door at the top of the staircase opened, every pony in the room looking up towards it. Celestia entered, looking surprised. “My little ponies… what a surprise to see you here. I did say you could explore the castle, did I not?”

The mares all nervously shuffled their feet. Twilight spoke up, “Er… yes, but we decided we’d rather just stay here until dinner time.”

Celestia shrugged. “As you wish. Speaking of dining, it’s time for supper. Shall we wash up and go to the dining hall?”

Everypony mumbled their agreement and got to their feet, letting their princess go down the stairs and down the hall before they followed her. “You have to try Chef Creole’s tomato soup, it’s simply divine,” Celestia mused. “And for dessert, Golden Whisk makes the best cakes. By all means, try some.” Pinkie Pie perked up for a minute, before Twilight’s stern glare made her lower her head again.


Against all odds, the dinner was going well. Pinkie Pie was too tired to make a mess, and everypony else was on their best behavior. The two princesses sat at the head of the table, each finishing off their salads as supper started to die down. Butlers streamed back and forth, making sure food and drink were topped off (and steering very clear of Pinkie Pie).

Seeing everypony at least almost done eating, Celestia spoke up. “As you recall, we’re all here to fix what went wrong at the gala. If everypony’s finished with their meals, let’s begin.” Everypony else approved, while Pinkie Pie desperately tried to convince someone to get her some dessert. “Let’s begin with Twilight… my faithful student, I do have to apologize for being too busy to spare even a moment. So tomorrow morning, how about you accompany me while I perform my daily tasks? We can talk all you wish.”

Twilight grinned widely. “Princess, it would be my honor.”

Celestia smiled and turned to Applejack. “And Applejack, your goods were destroyed during the event, were they not? Do not worry, for you shall be personally repaid from the royal treasury.”

Applejack bowed in thanks, raising her glass to her princess. “Mighty kind of ya, mam.”

Pinkie was next. “You never got to experience the party you wanted. We can’t recreate a party… but Twilight has told me of your love of sweets. Maybe you’d agree to a tour of our kitchen?”

Pinkie Pie seemed to sink down in her seat. “An oki-dokie suggestion, but I think I’ll pass. Ooo, but I’ll take some dessert, though!”

Celestia shrugged and had the servants fulfill the pony’s request, though they seemed very reluctant to do so. Once she was served, Rarity was next. “I understand my nephew was your reason for visiting the gala?”

“As much as I hate to refuse an offer from royalty… if you’re going to try and hook me up with him, I think I’ll decline… but thank you, your majesty.”

Celestia chuckled. “Yes, my nephew has always been a little… arrogant. But what I was actually going to suggest was if you would like to take a few baubles from my gem collection? I’m sure there’s something in there you could use in your work, and Spike is free to take some as well.”

Rarity’s eyes lit up. “How generous, princess! We’d be delighted to accept.”

With a nod, Celestia’s eyes turned to Rainbow Dash. “And you…”

“No thanks, don’t need any reward, nope!” Rainbow Dash looked around warily. “Just glad to be here!”

Celestia gave her a curious look. “Erm… well, I was going to offer you a look at some Wonderbolts collectibles, including this one shirt I managed to come across…”

“NO! No, no reason to go to your room and get it.”

Celestia raised an eyebrow. “How’d you know it was in my room?”

“Uh… why wouldn’t it be? Common sense, hello!” Rainbow Dash gulped.

“Well… then at least let me put in a good word with them for you, since you never got the opportunity to truly spend time with them.”

“Yeah, sure, fine, that works. Thank you.”

“Excellent.” She turned to the only one left. “Fluttershy, I’ve heard you had trouble befriending the royal creatures?”

“Y-yes, your majesty…”

The princess nodded. “The animals come from faraway lands; they never really did get along with Ponyville citizens. But I digress… how would you like to spend tomorrow with a familiar face?’

Celestia pointed at the dining hall’s window as something flew in through it. It landed on Celestia’s shoulder, preening its wing. “Philomena!” Fluttershy called out, the fiery bird cocking its head towards the yellow pegasus. “If it’s okay with you, princess… it’d be an honor.”

“Well, then I believe we have everything settled out then.” The princesses got up, everypony following their example. “It’s about time everypony got some rest. Let us show you the bedchambers, and tomorrow, we’ll make sure everything is set right.”


“Here we are. The servants will clean up the room tomorrow, so feel free to stay up as long as you like.”

The ponies all yawned, shuffling into the room tiredly. “Thanks for the offer, princess,” Twilight droned, “but I think we’re all ready for bed.”

Celestia nodded. “As you wish. Sweet dreams, everypony.” She left, leaving the ponies alone in their room for the night. With six beds, three on each wall, they’d all have a place to lay their heads. They each chose one and settled in, everyone too exhausted to even consider staying up.

Twilight went to the lightswitch, flicking it off. “Tonight went… better than expected. It could have gone better, but… thanks, girls. Good night.” The others all mumbled their good nights, and everypony settled into their beds.

An hour or so later, a screech came from the highest reaches of the castle. Rainbow Dash flinched, hiding deeper under her covers.

Comments ( 5 )

So, would it be safe to say that Applejack found a bare room, in addition to the bear room?

Hehe bad rainbow dash was bad, breaking Cellys bed and letting spike eat her gems was a baaad idea :rainbowlaugh: This was great I really enjoyed it a lot :heart::twilightsmile:

I just read through all 7 chapters, they were great little stories and very entertaining. :twilightsmile:

I could see these as episodes in the show. Great work.:pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment