• Published 22nd May 2015
  • 1,155 Views, 64 Comments

Brouhaha - Rokas



Strange changelings and Lyra drive Twilight Sparkle a bit off her rocker.

  • ...
2
 64
 1,155

The Naked Lunch

Author's Note:

The first half is mostly boring, probably, but mainly headcanon of mine I'm just working out. There's action in the second half. Also silliness.

I'm worried that I'm mixing the genres too much. There's some complaints, rightfully so, about some bodies of work that don't stick to one side of the comedy/drama line or the other. Comedies can have some drama, and dramas can have some comedy, but never in equal parts.

So is this chapter boring? Did the first part drag on? Or was it interesting to read? Am I doing well to keep it a light-hearted adventure with enough drama/stakes to keep it interesting, or am I mixing it too even to really fit into fun or serious? Let me know after reading, please. I'm trying to get back into writing by doing silly, random things like this, but if it's bad writing, then it's bad writing and I need to know that.

Thanks.

Huh, and here I thought Marephy's Law would have kicked in by now, Twilight Sparkle mused, half in surprise. She had led Bakran out of her castle only a few minutes ago, and while the pair was certainly getting looks as they walked through town, no pony had panicked.

Yet, Twilight silently amended. We haven't seen the “Flower Trio” so far, and heavens know how they react to things. She suppressed a sigh, and then just shook her head.

“Interesting feeling,” Bakran observed from his place to her left and a pace behind the mare's lead. Twilight turned her head back to glance at him, and the changeling continued. “A bit of frustration and annoyance, mixed in with a hint of pity.”

“...Yeah,” Twilight said, and then decided to vocalize her thoughts. “Just thinking about a certain, extra-panicky group,” she explained, and then turned her head back to the front. “Also I'm starting to realize how annoying it might be to have an emotion-reader hanging around.”

“Ahh,” Bakran replied, and then fell silent for a moment as he thought. “Maybe that's why changelings and ponies have been separate?” he mused.

“How so?” Twilight asked, with another look back at the changeling.

“Well, like you said, it's probably annoying,” he explained, as the two took a turn around a corner and headed down the street that led to Sugarcube Corner. “I'd imagine this could cause social friction. Not to mention the fact that being able to read emotions we could probably tell when ponies are lying or some such just from noticing when they get all nervous in spite of any outward deception.”

Twilight paused at that, and the moment it took Bakran to notice and halt with her drew them up side-by-side in the street. “That... is actually a good hypothesis,” Twilight mused, as she stared off in the distance and thought about the idea, and even began to stroke her chin with a hoof. “And somewhat ironic, that a species that deceives others could be used to uncover lies and deception.”

Bakran could only shrug at that, and he buzzed his stubbed wings for good measure. “Life is funny that way, I've noticed,” he observed.

“Indeed,” Twilight sardonically replied. “Well, it's another thing to consider,” she added, and then resumed walking towards their goal. Bakran, of course followed immediately, though he remained silent.

Thus the two walked, until finally a pegasus pony approached them. “Hiya, Twilight!” the walleyed mare said, and then blinked. “Oh, right, I mean princess.”

Twilight smiled at the gray mare. “I told you, Derpy, calling me 'Twilight' is just fine,” she replied. “And is there something you needed?”

“Oh, uh,” Derpy said, and then frowned a bit as one of them seemed to wander to Bakran, even as the other remained fixed on the alacorn. “Just, you do know there's a changeling standing next to you, right?”

The purple mare suppressed a sigh. “Yes, he's a guest of mine at the moment,” she answered. “His name's Bakran,” Twilight added, and then glanced to the male.

Bakran took the cue perfectly, and he smiled and extended a hoof. “Hello,” he greeted, as Derpy reached out to shake the proffered limb. “Nice to meet you.”

“And you too,” Derpy replied, with a friendly smile. Then she turned to Twilight Sparkle again. “Okay, just wanted to make sure there wasn't another invasion, temporal inversion, or dimensional overlap or something like that.”

This time it was Twilight who had to blink hard as her mind played catch-up. “Wait, what?” she asked.

“Okay, you two take care now!” Derpy said, apparently unaware of Twilight's question. “I've still got errands to run, so see ya!” she added, and then took off and into the sky.

The two watched her go, silent for a bit. Then Bakran spoke up. “So, do you usually get temporal inversions and dimensional overlaps here?” he asked, with a raised eyebrow.

At least, I think that's where an eyebrow would be, Twilight mused, as she briefly reflected on the changeling form. Amazing how the face is so malleable; must not be the kind of chitin we'd normally associate with insects. She filed these musings away, and then shook her head. “Not really... but then again...” she muttered, and then glanced to the side. “It might explain a few things. Like how Derpy's always around when something odd happens.”

“Hmm,” Bakran hummed, and then shrugged. “I dunno. She seemed nice. Her emotions were very open and unguarded and she was genuinely concerned about you until you introduced me, and then she was all happy and joyful.” He paused for a moment, and then gave Twilight a curious look. “You also seemed to be happy to see her, as well. I'm guessing she's a friend?”

Twilight actually managed to smile at that. “Yes, actually; she's the town's mailmare, and to be honest we're all quite fond of her,” she explained, and then chuckled. “Even if she is a bit clumsy at times,” she added. A thought crossed her mind at that, and the smile faded into a look of puzzlement.

Bakran again raised his eyebrow as he felt the change in the mare's emotions. “Is something the matter? You're getting all pensive and that has a really weird taste.”

The question broke Twilight from her reverie, and despite the question pressing on her mind, a new one boldly shouldered to the fore. “Emotions have flavor?” she asked, surprised.

“Well, yes,” Bakran replied. “I mean, sort of. We consume them, after all, so there's something like a flavor to them. Equish kind of doesn't have the right words for it, but those analogies are so close that the difference is negligible.”

Fascinating, Twilight mused, as her mind absorbed the information like a sponge. She opened her mouth to ask another question, but her stomach chose that moment to remind her of their purpose outside the castle with a rumble, and she quickly shut her mouth and looked chagrin. Right, talk later, food now, she thought and then turned and started to walk off in the awkward silence.

Bakran seemed to understand her plight, and he followed without comment. It's probably because he can sense my emotional state and thus can anticipate when either silence or encouragement would work better, Twilight Sparkle mused. That does remind me, though... “Bakran?” Twilight began, without looking back or stopping. “I noticed that you seem to adapt pretty well to reading the emotions of ponies, despite the fact you say you haven't been outside the hive before. I also noticed when you landed on my balcony that you were surprised to detect my emotions, which indicates that you can't read other changelings. So,” she added, and then looked over her shoulder and at the changeling. “How can you read emotions so well?”

Bakran felt suspicion rise again in Twilight's emotions, but he mentally shrugged it off. Can't blame her, this is just too weird, he mused. “Well, as I said, we do kind of consume emotions, so we do know what they feel like,” he explained. “Even if we've never been exposed to them directly, we do kind of get the gist of them when we eat them. Plus, we're not emotionless ourselves; we just don't leak them into the air like ponies and other species do,” Bakran added, and then managed to half-shrug his shoulders as he walked. “We know how we feel, and when we 'taste' how other species feel and it feels just like how we'd feel, we kind of get the feeling for feelings.”

A moment of silence passed, only for it to end as Twilight slowly came to a halt as her mind tried to parse the changeling's words. “That is one of the most grammatically tortured sentences I've heard this week,” Twilight observed, as she turned to face Bakran.

The male was at a loss for a moment, but soon grinned. “Well, what can I say? I'm just good at being me.”

Twilight felt a matching grin spread along her muzzle despite herself. “I haven't even known you that long, but that sounds about right,” she agreed, and then turned to resume their walk down the street. Sugarcube Corner was mercifully close, and so Twilight decided to switch topics. “Alright, let me go in first and let my friends know that you're not a threat,” she said, and then glanced back. “A couple of them are kind of known for acting first and questioning later.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Bakran replied, with a nod. Then as the two reached the steps leading up to the door, he went to the side and sat on his haunches on the ground next to the stairs. “I'll just sit here 'til you come back.”

“Thank you,” Twilight replied, with relief in her tone. “I shan't be long,” she said, and then opened the door with her magic and stepped into the bakery. Once the door closed behind her, though, she did take a moment to run another changeling detection spell to make sure he was staying where he said he would. It's like what Celestia told me about international politics; “trust, but verify”, she mused, and then turned to look for her friends once she confirmed that Bakran was staying true to his word.

“Twilight!” came a familiar country twang, and an orange hoof waved in conjunction. The alacorn had just spotted the table with her friends at the same moment Applejack spoke up, and so she smiled as she began to walk over. Other hooves were raised in greeting as the rest of her close friends—Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie—were there as well, and their faces reflected Twilight's own joy at seeing each other.

“Hello, girls,” she said, as she moseyed up to the table. “Sorry I'm late, but this morning has turned out to be more hectic than I planned.”

“Rainbow did mention that, yes,” Rarity said, evenly. “I do hope there's not a significant problem?”

“Yeah, you were really out of it, earlier,” Dash chimed in.

Twilight sighed. “Well, it's a bit of a story,” she said.

“Well then, pull up a chair and tell us about it,” Applejack replied, with a wave of her hoof towards an unused chair set against a nearby wall. “Although, I thought Rainbow said you'd have a guest?” she asked, curiously.

The alacorn could only offer a crooked, sheepish grin. “Yeah, about that,” she began. “There's something I need to tell you about him...”

* * * *

Bakran remained in place as time wore on, though constant pain of an empty stomach did make him shift around a bit. That and the ponies staring at me, he thought, as he casually turned his head to look around the area. Sugarcube Corner was indeed at a corner, but not just of an intersection; a small square, paved in cobblestone, stretched out in front of the shop and the other businesses around it. And like most such centers of commerce, ponies were out and about visiting shops and making purchases and the like.

Or they would be, if there wasn't an undisguised changeling sitting near the steps of Sugarcube Corner. Instead, the edges of the square were becoming more and more crowded as ponies out and about on their daily errands reached the location, spotted Bakran, and then froze. Are their minds broken? The changeling mused, as he let his eyes drift over the multicolored equines. How much does it take to break a pony mind, anyway? Twilight Sparkle seemed to be pretty close herself, and she's like, a princess. Well, not like a princess, she is a princess, but the point remains; are pony minds easily broken? Is it their nature as a prey species? Or is it just because this place is known for being weird?

His reverie was broken as one pony pushed her way through the crowd that was starting to block the streets. “Out of my way, chazwazzers,” the green unicorn said, as she maneuvered around a particularly obtuse specimen of ponykind, who just stood there and continued to gape. Just as she maneuvered around the stallion, though, the mare caught sight of Bakran and froze herself. Unlike her fellows, however, she quickly adapted and resumed walking forward, straight towards Sugarcube Corner.

Bakran could only raise an eyebrow as the green pony walked up to him. Horn's not lit, so I guess she's not about to blast me, he mused. Maybe she'll just kick or slap me instead?

His silent questions were answered, though, then the mare stopped in front of him and then looked him up and down for a moment. “I hate to break it to you, buddy,” she said, and then leaned in and lowered her voice conspiratorially. “But I think you're not disguised.”

Now it was Bakran who was stunned for a change, though he recovered after a few moments. “Uh, I know, thanks,” he replied, evenly. “I'm kinda not here on, uh, official changeling business or anything.”

“Oh,” the mare said, and then fell silent. Bakran himself had no idea what to say, and so the two sat there for a solid minute before the unicorn spoke up again. “Oh, uh, anyway, I'm Lyra Heartstrings,” she said, and then held up a hoof.

“I'm Bakran,” the changeling replied, and then reached up with a leg to shake the proffered hoof. “Nice to meet you.”

“Likewise,” Lyra replied, and then tilted her head once the hoofshake was over with. “So, may I ask what you are doing here? And why are you just sitting outside Sugarcube Corner?”

Bakran gave a rueful chuckle at that. “I, ah, kind of got myself exiled from my hive. But fortunately I met princess Twilight Sparkle and she's offered me a job,” he added, and then jerked his head towards the door of the bakery. “She's inside talking to her friends to let them know not to turn me into paste when they see me, I think.”

“Ah,” Lyra said, with a nod and a knowing look. “That's a good idea; some of her friends can be rather jumpy,” she added, and then sighed. “Really good ponies, but I swear Rainbow Dash might start a small war one of these days.”

“To be fair, my old queen pretty much did that herself,” Bakran interjected.

“Ah, true,” Lyra replied, pensively. “So, how'd you meet Twilight, anyway? At least,” she added, irreverently. “Without her turning you into a protein supplement on sight?”

Bakran chuckled again, this time more freely. “Well, when I said I got exiled, I mean I was literally thrown from the hive by her royal buttheadedness and I, ah, kind of landed on the princess' balcony.”

“Ah, that would do it,” Lyra agreed, with another nod. “She's never been one to turn down a curiosity, and that's certainly something new.”

“Really?” Bakran replied. His expression became confused, and she shifted on his haunches. “Because I get the feeling that she's rather put out about all of this.”

Lyra shook her head. “Nah,” she said, and added in a dismissive wave of her foreleg for good measure. “She loves new stuff. You probably just caught her at a bad time or something.”

Bakran remained silent at that as he thought over the mare's words. He didn't have long, though, as Lyra spoke up again. “So anyway, you seem like a hardy sort,” she said, friendlily, and then back-hoofed Bakran in his stomach. Fortunately, his carapace easily kept him from getting winded, but in any case Lyra went on without a pause. “If that job with Twilight doesn't work out, you come talk to me; I could always use a sidekick when I'm out and about.”

“Sidekick?” Bakran asked. “What are you talking about?”

“Oh, I guess I didn't really fully introduce myself,” Lyra said, and then shifted her pose to throw out her chest and lift her head back. “I am Lyra Heartstrings, Gentlemare Adventurer!” she proclaimed, as she brought up a hoof to press against her chest. “Explorer of the unusual, the bizarre, and the downright weird.”

I think I'm starting to appreciate her highness' attitude, Bakran thought, as he mused on Twilight's mood. “Uh, aren't all three of those the same thing?” he asked, confused.

“You'd think so,” Lyra said, as she relaxed from her pose and looked Bakran in the eye again. “But it turns out to not be that way at all.”

Bakran blinked. Then he blinked again. Then a third time and he shrugged as well. “If you say so,” he finally replied.

“And I do,” Lyra confirmed. “Now, you said Twilight's in there with her friends?” she asked, and then waited for Bakran to nod in response. “Good, I need to talk to AJ.”

“Who?”

* * * *

“So lemme get this straight,” Applejack began, and then waited for her friends' complete attention before she continued. “This here changeling drops out of the sky and onto your balcony?” she asked, and then waited for Twilight to nod. “An' he's all polite and easygoin' and open and all,” Applejack continued. “So ya scan Ponyvile to make sure it ain't a trap or plot or anythin' and ya found one other changeling, who ain't there no more, and so ya offered this Bakran feller a job an' now he's waitin' patiently outside for us?”

“That sums it up nicely, yes,” Twilight replied, with a nod.

“Are you sure he's still there?” Rarity asked, as she glanced towards the door.

Twilight lit up her horn at that, and then concentrated for a moment before she let the magic fade. “Yes, he's still there,” she answered. “At least, one changeling is, and I doubt that other one is going to wander in and change places with Bakran in the few minutes we've spent talking.”

“Uh-huh,” Applejack replied. “Now shug, ya do know that admittin' ya got a problem is the first step towards getting over it, right?”

Twilight frowned as Applejack's words at first failed to register. After a moment, though, she put the pieces together and then blushed heavily. “I am not drunk!” she protested. “Honestly, have you even seen me drink before?”

Applejack frowned back, and then tapped her chin with a hoof. “Well... to be fair, I can't say I have,” she admitted. “But still, this here sounds like somethin' a drunk would come up with.”

“Maybe she's drunk all the time?” Rainbow Dash posited, and then settled back in her seat with a neutral expression as the ponies at the table all turned their attention to her. “I mean, for all we know she's actually way more uptight sober than she normally is, and she just gets smashed every morning just to get through the day without strangling somepony?” she asked, as she struggled to suppress a grin at her friends' horrified expressions.

Twilight was rendered speechless, even as her face turned entirely new shades of purplish-red. As such it was Rarity who spoke up next. “Rainbow Dash!” she exclaimed, in a chiding tone. Though she dropped it back into a more conversational volume as she pitched her head back slightly. “It's not our place to question what royalty does in their off, or even on time. If Twilight wants to be drunk every moment of every day it's well within her right.”

Twilight finally found her voice at that. “Rarity!” she half-shouted, in shock. “I am not drunk! I do not get smashed just to get through the day! And I have not had a single drink since—” She halted at that, as her memory caught up with her mouth, and the blush on her face seemed to do the impossible and deepen even more. “Uh, I mean, I don't drink,” she continued, in a much calmer tone. The expression remained, however.

“Uh-huh,” was the repeat utterance from Applejack, though this time it was joined in chorus by the other four of Twilight's close friends.

“...And besides, I'm not drunk right now,” Twilight went on, after a moment of hesitation. The dubious looks from her friends made her sigh, and she then shook her head. “How about I just bring Bakran in and you all can meet him?” And see that I'm not insane.

“Sounds good, dear,” Rarity spoke. “We’ll be waiting for you here,” she said, and then glanced over to Pinkie Pie as the latter opened her mouth. “Patiently,” she added, with a pointed glare at the party pony. Pinkie simply smiled as she closed her mouth and nodded.

“Thank you,” Twilight said, as she shifted out of her seat and then stood. “I’ll be right back with Bakran, then,” she added, and then turned and walked towards the entrance of the bakery. Once there, she casted her changeling detection spell again to verify that Bakran was still where he was. He is; good, Twilight thought, and then applied her magic to the knob.

“...so next thing I knew she was choking the life out of me,” a familiar voice said, as the door opened. Twilight froze as her eyes registered the mint-green mare at the exact same moment her brain recognized the voice. Oh horseapples, it's Lyra.

“Is that norm—” Bakran began, but then suddenly whipped his head around as he felt a strong peak of emotions wash against him. “Oh, hello, princess,” he said.

Lyra turned her head when he said that, and then grinned widely. “Twilight! Long-time no see!” she said, as she turned her body to face the alacorn and then walked up the steps to Sugarcube Corner. Once at the top she reared back on her hind legs and then wrapped Twilight in a hug around her withers. “How’ve you been?”

“Uh,” Twilight temporized, as she struggled to get her mind into gear. “I’ve been good,” she added, as her thoughts raced. Oh horseapples, this can’t be good, she thought. I really hope she hasn’t talked to Minuette or Moondancer lately.

“That’s good,” Lyra said, as she disengaged from the hug and then took a step back to give Twilight some space. “I was talking to Minuette the other day and she told me how you got back together with the girls.”

Fewmets, Twilight internally cursed. Her recent jaunt to Canterlot to amend fences was still fresh in the alacorn’s mind, and she chastised herself for not remembering an important factor that Minuette had related to her: they visit Lyra here in Ponyville all the time, she belatedly remembered. “Well, I just didn’t want to completely forget about my past life, you know?” Twilight offered. Even though sometimes I wish I could.

“Well, I’m kind of hurt you didn’t think to talk to me about it,” Lyra replied, with a slight frown.

Twilight winced slightly, and internally she felt her panic shift into a deep, swirling pit of guilt. “I guess I forgot more than I thought,” she offered, with a wan smile. “I would love to make up for that sometime, though,” she added, even as she thought that it would be a bad idea.

Lyra’s expression lightened up, though, and so Twilight cooled her concern. “That’d be great!” Lyra said, with a wide smile. “I’ve got all sorts of stuff I’d like to discuss with you, too, like theories and ideas I’ve picked up in my travels.”

“Oh, you… travel?” Twilight asked, in surprise.

“All the time,” Lyra replied. “But we can talk about that when we have a meetup. Right now Mac sent me to find AJ, and I heard she was here?”

Another wave of surprise washed over Twilight as she absorbed her erstwhile friend’s words. Mac? As in Big McIntosh? She wondered. Then the question finally impugned on her train of thought, and Twilight managed to get an answer out. “Oh, sure, Applejack’s inside if you want to speak with her,” she relayed.

“Groovy,” Lyra replied. “I’ll talk to you later, okay? Got business to attend to right now,” she said, and then waited for Twilight to nod before she smiled once again and then walked past the alacorn and into the inside of Sugarcube Corner. She paused at the threshold, though, and then glanced back to the changeling watching from the sidelines. “Take care, Bakran,” she added.

“You too,” Bakran replied, friendlily. The mint unicorn then departed at that, and the male turned his attention to Twilight Sparkle, who was just watching the doorway with concern. What the hay is the story here? Bakran wondered. Well, guess I might as well ask; I’m already living on borrowed time as it is, so I might as well push my luck. With that, he cleared his throat to get Twilight’s attention, and then spoke when she turned her head to look at him. “So, uh, your highness,” he began, carefully. “Are you alright? You seemed to be having some kind of emotional distress while talking to Miss Heartstrings.”

Twilight winced openly, and then blushed. “Yeah, I guess you would’ve noticed that, wouldn’t you?” she asked, and then sighed. “It’s… It’s complicated,” she added, even as she shifted her gaze to look at the door to Sugarcube Corner. “Lyra was in my circle of friends back when I was a student in Canterlot. Well, as close to a friend as I had in those days.

“But the thing is, she was more friends with Minuette and Lemon Drops than she was with me,” Twilight continued, as she returned her gaze to Bakran. “And truth be told, she was always getting on my nerves the way she went on about her obsession with human myths and the like. It just bothered me so much that she would take them so seriously when they’re nothing more than…” Twilight blinked as her mind made a connection. “Old… mare’s… tales.”

Bakran frowned as he felt Twilight’s guilt, which had been a constant background since Lyra left, rose to the fore and swamped all of her other emotions. “Hey, are you alright?” he asked, even as Twilight herself slowly sat on her haunches.

“No, not really,” Twilight admitted, and then looked down to the ground. “I’ve been a horrible pony again,” she added, and then looked around the square. Fortunately much of the earlier crowd had dispersed when Lyra and Twilight had conversed near the changeling, the ponies apparently having realized that the situation was under control. Thus assured that the two shared a bit of privacy, Twilight sighed and then glanced at Bakran. “I judged Lyra so harshly, even after I learned about Nightmare Moon and got upset when nopony wanted to believe me,” she said, and then looked down again. “Here I am, supposedly the princess of friendship, and yet I still hold on to impressions and derisive ideas that I should be beyond now.” She paused, and then sniffed. “I’m a terrible pony. Some friend I am.”

The shift in the alacorn’s emotions and her sniffle set off triggers in Bakran’s male brain, and he reached out with a hoof and placed it on Twilight’s withers. “You’re not a terrible pony,” he said, somewhat hesitantly. “I mean, I haven’t known you for very long, but given I thought you were going to literally kill me when we met I’m pretty sure that it’d be hard for me to have a lower opinion of you than that,” he explained, and then gulped as Twilight frowned at him. “Er, what I’m trying to say is that given how justified I thought you’d be to turn me into paste, you didn’t. Instead you’ve been nice enough to hear me out and even offered me a job to help me get back on my hooves. And for the suspicion, well, double-checking things is a sane and rational response.” He paused, and then took in a breath to calm his nerves. “I know it might not mean much to you coming from a changeling and all, but you’ve been an exceedingly nice pony despite all of the insanity today, and I appreciate it.”

Twilight felt her guilt abate at that, and she managed to bring out a tiny smile on her muzzle. “You mean that?” she asked, and the smile grew a bit as Bakran nodded. But a new though soon entered her head, and the smile disappeared. “But, would a nice pony really be so put off about Lyra?”

“Maybe?” Bakran asked back, and then withdrew his hoof as Twilight gave him a sour look. “Look, I’m not the one to ask about friends. I barely had any acquaintances, and the closest I had to a real friend was a habitual drunk who has problems keeping her voice the same when she’s on the hooch,” he said, and then sighed. “But I do know that sometimes, beings just don’t like each other. And sometimes, they don’t like each other at first, but get over it later,” he continued, and then smirked a bit. “My friend I mentioned? She threatened to punch my face in when I tried hitting on her. Took a bar fight and getting thrown in the slammer together before she’d give me the time of day. We’re not exactly best buds now, but we talk politely and all.” Bakran paused at that, and then gestured to Sugarcube Corner’s entrance. “Maybe you won’t get along with Lyra. Maybe you didn’t get along in the past, but now you can. I don’t know, but either way that doesn’t make you a bad pony. Hay, just the fact that you feel bad about it shows that you aren’t nearly as bad as you think you are.”

A moment of silence settled between the two, though Twilight soon smiled again. “Thank you, Bakran,” she said, and then stood up. “It’s… nice to know that friendship is such a universal constant that even a being from another culture can comfort a silly mare like myself,” she wryly observed.

Bakran shrugged. “Well, it’s not like we don’t pick up on things,” he said. “I mean, I never left home before, but every time something new swept through the hive it always came from one of the collectors. So I figure we had to have picked up something from you ponies after all this time.”

Twilight smiled again. “Well, maybe that means we have a lot more in common than we thought,” she said, and then turned to walk towards the nearby bakery’s front door. “And that gives me hope that introducing you to my friend won’t result in a massive food fight.”

“Even if it does,” Bakran chimed in, as he followed the mare into the building. “That just means free food.”

Twilight couldn’t help but chuckle at that, and her light laugh echoed Bakran’s own. “Behave, now,” she chided, to which the changeling could only nod his head. Accord reached, the two walked over to the corner of the room where Twilight’s friends and Lyra were waiting.

The latter was standing by the table and speaking with Applejack as Twilight and Bakran walked up. “You’re kidding me?” she asked, and then shook her head. “Well, I guess we’d better put off the announcement; wouldn’t want to steal their thunder after all.”

“Well, where the hay have you been?” Applejack asked. Then she noticed the new arrivals, and she turned her head to first smile at Twilight, and then frown at Bakran. “Well, ya weren’t tellin’ stories after all, were ya, Twi?”

Twilight shook her head at that. “Sorry, Applejack,” she said, and then took in a breath. “Everypony, this is Bakran, the changeling I told you about. Bakran,” she added, with a brief glance back at the chitin-covered being. “These are my friends, Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and—”

“HI!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed, as she virtually exploded from her seat and bounced over the table to land in front of the changeling. Bakran flinched back at that, though that’s all he could do before Pinkie began her idiomatic rapid-fire speech: “My name’s Pinkie Pie how are you doing it’s so wonderful to finally meet you even though I only heard about you a few minutes ago and I was wondering how to greet a changeling like would I need to buzz or hiss or something because that would get in the way of saying ‘hi and welcome to Ponyville’ which I haven’t gotten to do yet because Twilight’s been hogging you all to herself even though you got her all flustered and even though that’s not hard to do because she’s like all really stressed out and today was supposed to be an off day but now you’re here so maybe she’ll relax now that you’re all introduced and we can finally have your welcome to Ponyville party soon and what kind of cupcakes do you like or do you prefer ice cream because nothing makes friends happier than their favorite flavor of ice cream so what—”

A purple aura wrapped itself around Pinkie’s muzzle then, and Twilight sighed as the party pony continued to make muffled noises through her tightly-held mouth. “…And this is Pinkie Pie,” Twilight said, tiredly, and then released Pinkie’s muzzle when the latter finally fell silent and just beamed at the changeling. “You’ve met Lyra already, of course,” Twilight added, with a nod to the unicorn.

“Of course,” Bakran echoed Twilight, and then turned to her seated friends. Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash were all giving him poisonous looks, and Fluttershy was cowering in her seat, with only the top of her head and eyes visible above the edge of the table; only Lyra and Pinkie were smiling at him politely. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, ladies,” he said, evenly. “I do realize you may not like changelings all that much and I don’t blame you. But I do hope that we can be peaceable to each other. Or at the very least I’d like it if you don’t beat the stuffing out of me,” he added, with a wry smile.

For a wonder, both Rainbow Dash and Applejack blushed slightly and looked a bit contrite. Rarity, though, was the one who spoke up. “I think we can all remain civil, dear,” she said, her tone mostly even, but with a brittle edge to it. “Provided you do the same, of course,” she added.

“Of course,” Bakran replied, with a nod. “I wouldn’t dream of doing anything to the contrary.”

“Yay!” Pinkie Pie interjected, as she moved from her position near Bakran and then began to hop in circles around the changeling. “Now that we have all the introductions and threats out of the way that means we can finally start planning your welcome party!”

Bakran took a moment to step back from Pinkie when she was in front of him, and he spoke up as she stopped hopping and turned to face him. “Wait, threats?” he asked.

“Well, duh,” Pinkie replied, happily as usual. “Rarity was all subtle about it but anypony could tell she was saying ‘make one wrong move, buster, and you’ll be sorry!’ And Applejack and Rainbow Dash haven’t said a word yet so I know they’re fuming like the loyal but prideful ponies they are which is why they’re so awesome but it can really get in the way sometimes like when Dashie and I went to the Griffon kingdom or is it really a kingdom now since they haven’t had a king in years and they’re all kind of an anarcho-mercantile association going ‘gimmie gimmie gimmie’ except for Gilda and her friend now they’re going to change the whole place one griffon at a time and that would be a great tagline for a movie or a book or something like ‘in a world where stuff happens, even more stuff happens!’ and then there’s that BWAAAA noise that every trailer has now and wait am I leaking over?” At this the party pony finished her brief barrage of wacky words, and the sudden, odd question at the end took everyone else in the vicinity for a loop. Fortunately the silence was brief as Pinkie smiled and then began to speak again. “Anyway so like I was saying, the threats are all over with and we’ve said ‘hi’ and all, so what kind of cake and ice cream do you want for your party?”

She had addressed Bakran at the last, and the changeling took a moment to think. “Uh, chocolate and vanilla, respectively,” he answered, in an unsure tone.

“Great choices!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed, with a hop in the air to punctuate her words even further. “Both are classics and go together really well!” she added, and then turned to walk towards the door to the bakery’s kitchen. “I’m going to see what we have in stock! I’ll talk to you all later!” With that said, Pinkie disappeared through the aforementioned door.

The group remaining behind all stood or sat in silence for a few long moments, before Bakran finally turned his head from the kitchen door to regard the ponies he was with. “What the hay just happened?” he asked, in a perturbed tone.

“That’s Pinkie Pie for ya,” Applejack answered, with a faint smirk. “She’ll leave ya more confused than a pig in a henhouse.”

“Considerably more than that,” Twilight wryly observed. Then she sighed and turned her head to regard her friends. “But she got one thing right; the threats are over with. Which means I’d appreciate it if all of you keep a level head in dealing with Bakran,” she added, and then took a moment to move her gaze over her friends. “I know it’s awfully suspicious and strange, but everything he’s said so far has checked out and I still haven’t found any changeling army or plot in progress, so I think it would be fair for all of us to give him the benefit of the doubt.”

“Until and unless I do something obviously evil,” Bakran chimed in.

Five of the six ponies present blinked, and then gave Bakran incredulous looks. “Wait, what?” Twilight asked.

Bakran shrugged again. “Well, look, you don’t know if I’m telling the truth or not, so it would be prudent to keep an eye out for any suspicious behavior.”

“Wait, lemme get this straight,” Applejack spoke up. “You’re tellin’ us to be suspicious of you?” she asked, bemused.

“Uh, sort of,” Bakran replied. “I’m saying, if a pony suddenly dropped into the hive, we’d all be kinda suspicious of him, even if he said he meant no harm. So it’s just fair you’d be a bit wary of me, as well.”

A stunned silence fell over the group, though it was mercifully short when Lyra lightly chuckled. “Well, makes sense to me,” she offered.

“I suppose,” Applejack slowly said. Then she turned to regard Bakran. “But it’s awfully strange for somepony to just out and out suggest others oughta suspect him.”

“Except I’m not,” Bakran evenly replied. “I’m saying you should be wary and keep your eyes open, which is a fair response to something like someone you thought was a mortal enemy dropping into town,” he explained, and then tilted his head to the side. “I mean, I could just tell you to not worry and all, but I am trying to be honest and forthright here. I am not actually up to no good, but my conscience tells me that I should at least be fair and give you tools to defend yourself, even if I’m not a real threat.”

Applejack and the others seemed to mull on this, and after a moment the farmer pony spoke up. “Well, that’s a right stand-up way of behavin’, I’ll give ya that,” she observed, with a note of respect in her voice.

“It’s one of the reasons I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt, myself,” Twilight interjected, with a nod. Then her stomach rumbled, and she blushed and offered a sheepish grin. “Well, in any case, we came here for food, and I think it’s high time we got some.”

“On that I could not agree more,” Bakran chimed in.

“Then it’s good I whipped something up!” Pinkie Pie suddenly exclaimed, as she popped out from under the table that her friends were sitting at or standing around. Every pony flinched back in surprise at this, and then again as she pulled out a covered platter from the same space she had appeared from, and then laid it on the table. The party pony then followed this up by reaching into her mane to pull out several plates and forks, which she then quickly distributed along the edges of the round table.

Bakran simply stared in utter bafflement. “Wha?” he muttered, even as Pinkie finished setting the table and then zipped around the main room and collected chairs, which she then shoved under the flanks of Twilight, Bakran, and Lyra. Stunned by the speed, the three newly seated persons meekly accepted their new places as Pinkie Pie pushed them next to the table and then stood aside for a moment, as if to appreciate her own work.

“Uh,” Twilight uttered, as she worked to get her mind to accept what had just happened in the space of only a few seconds. “What did you make for us, Pinkie?” she asked of her friend.

“Salad!” Pinkie Pie joyfully replied. Then she reached over the table and yanked the cover off of the platter to reveal a serving bowl of leafy greens and sliced carrots and tomatoes, and on the side were a bowl of croutons and a bottle of dressing. “I’ll bring out some muffins, too, when they’re ready in a few minutes.”

“Well, thank you, Pinkie,” Rarity said, as she recovered her mental balance. “But I don’t see any serving tools.”

“Oh! I must’ve forgot,” she said, and then turned and started to walk back towards the kitchen door. “I’ll be right back!”

The group watched the baker depart for a second time in only a few minutes, and then turned to each other. “Uh, was any of that normal?” Bakran asked, cautiously.

“Not for most ponies,” Rainbow Dash chimed in, as she reached forward with a hoof towards the bowl. “But Pinkie is—ow!” She was forced to interrupt herself as a light blue magic aura briefly appeared around her outstretched limb and a snapping noise was heard.

“Rainbow Dash, manners!” Rarity scolded the pegasus, while the latter hastily withdrew her hoof. “Other ponies have to eat from that plate as well, so no mussing it up with your dirty hooves.”

“Well you didn’t have to sting it like that,” Dash petulantly replied, and rubbed the afflicted spot with her other fetlock. “And for your information I do wash my hooves before eating!”

The two friends fumed at each other silently for a moment, though it ended as Lyra cleared her throat. “Uh, should I leave?” she asked of the others, as she looked around the table. “I get the impression you were all here for your own thing and I don’t want to intrude.”

The close friends amongst the group shot each other quick looks and soon came to a silent consensus. “I think I speak for everypony here in that we don’t mind you joining us,” Rarity spoke up, and her friends nodded their assent. “After all, Twilight brought a guest, so I suppose Applejack might as well have one herself.”

“Speaking of which,” Pinkie Pie interjected, as she approached the table in a far more conventional manner than last time. As such, she was not a surprise and easily garnered the group’s attention as she spoke and laid out a set of serving tongs on the salad platter. “I got a Pinkie Sense that somepony is going to need a party soon and here Lyra is and I’m betting that Big Mac finally proposed didn’t he?”

“What!” Twilight uttered, as she looked ever to Lyra in shock. “You and Big McIntosh?” she asked. “Since when?”

Both Applejack and Lyra frowned slightly in confusion at the alacorn. “Uh, since before you got your wings there,” the latter answered, with a gesture of her hoof. “Why are you so surprised?”

Twilight blushed a bit at that. “Uh, well, I guess I never saw you two together, but I kind of see you and Bonbon all the time being… really close,” she explained, cautiously.

“Like, really really close,” Rainbow Dash chimed in from her seat. A quick glance from the others at the table revealed that she had taken advantage of the situation to grab some of the mixed salad and put it on her plate, and even now she was munching on a bit of it. Fortunately for Rarity’s ideal of propriety, a pair of tongs had apparently materialized and been used, and a fluffy pink tail just disappearing under the edge of the table alluded to the cause of the utensil’s sudden appearance. “Everypony thinks you’re lesbians.”

“Rain. Bow. Dash,” Rarity ground out, through clenched teeth. “Do you have no sense of decorum at all?”

Rainbow shrugged. “I don’t know. How do you spell it?” she asked.

Rarity looked like she was about to blow a fuse, but fortunately Lyra’s heavy sigh broke the tension, and the mint unicorn brought a hoof up to rub one of her temples. “Is everypony still going on about that?” she asked, tiredly. “We keep telling them we’re just great friends!”

“Great friends that like to rub up against one another a lot?” Twilight asked, tentatively, even as she used her magic to lift some of the salad onto her plate.

“And are always looking at one another with lovey-dovey eyes?” Rarity chimed in herself, as she eagerly dropped all pretenses now that the topic was brought up. She also began to grab salad with her magic, as well, and the other ponies and changeling at the table followed suit with magic and tongs.

Lyra frowned at the two ponies’ questions. “Look… there are some very good reasons for that,” she ambiguously replied. “But that doesn’t mean we’re lesbians.”

“Yeah, but it sure looks like it,” Rainbow Dash restated.

“Trust me, Dash,” Applejack chimed in, after having finished a bite of salad. Her expression was strained to say the least. “If the noises she an’ Mac make are an indication, she’s straight.”

A blush-filled silence fell around the table at that, though it was brief as Rainbow Dash started to laugh. “Oh, wow!” the pegasus said, in between guffaws. “That’s hilarious! Is she a screamer? No no, wait,” Dash barely strained between chuckles. “I bet it’s Mac, isn’t it? It’s always the quiet ones.”

“Rainbow!” all of her friends chorused, clearly scandalized. Even Fluttershy managed to raise her voice to join the others, despite the massive blush on her face.

“Actually it’s a bit of both of us,” Lyra replied to Rainbow’s question, and everyone at the table turned to her to see a blush and a smirk both occupying her face. “Unicorn magic is great for hitting those hard-to-reach spots, and Mac’s got a tongue that would put a bard to shame.”

“Augh!” Applejack groaned, and then reached up to pull on her hat’s brim and used it to cover her face as much as possible. “I don’t want ta hear it, Lyra!” she ground out, and then let up her hat so she could glare at the green unicorn.

“…I could stand to hear a bit more,” Rainbow Dash half muttered.

“Consarnit, Dash!”

* * * *

As Applejack and Rainbow Dash got into an argument about what was appropriate to discuss about one’s relatives, Bakran leaned over to the side so he could talk to Twilight Sparkle semi-privately. “So, is this what usually happens around here?” he asked, in a quiet tone and with his head only half-turned to the princess, as he wanted to keep the argument in sight. “Because this is both is and is not what I would have expected from the stories I heard.”

Twilight heavily sighed. “Honestly? This is a new level of random,” she replied, in an equally low voice. Like Bakran, she also only had her head half-turned towards her conversation partner. “Although it’s unsurprising, considering the way my life’s been going lately.”

Bakran hesitated at this, and then looked down at his plate. “Oh, sorry about that,” he said, quietly, barely above the level of Rainbow Dash’s proclamation of Big McIntosh’s ‘hotness’.

For her part, Twilight paused to register Bakran’s sudden downward shift of mood. Then she blushed again and mentally restrained herself from a face-hoof. “No no, it’s not you,” she said, as she turned her head to fully face the changeling. Bakran, too, swiveled his head towards the purple mare, though he gave her a flat look that made Twilight offer a sheepish smile. “Well, okay, not just you,” she amended, and then sighed. “It’s just… well, how would you like it if you actually changed your entire subspecies and are now a possibly immortal font of magical energy and this was only after you defeated two madgods, a homicidal magic vampire, a chaaaaan-hostile invasion, and a whole host of strange, almost comical events in your day-to-day life?”

Bakran managed to smirk as Twilight tripped over her own words. She’s cute when she’s trying to not be offensive on a topic that isn’t really offensive in the first place, he mused, and then shook his head as she finished speaking. “I guess I can’t really imagine it,” he admitted, and then shrugged. “When you put it that way, it sounds like your life has been rather interesting lately,” he added, and then turned to munch on some of the salad on his plate.

“Interesting is certainly one word to describe it,” Twilight half-muttered, and then turned to her own plate and delicately took a bite. “Sometimes I feel like I’m in some strange stage production,” she added, after a proper chew and swallow.

“Fine!” Rainbow Dash shouted from her position across the table, which prompted both Twilight and Bakran to return their attentions to the argument. The multi-hued Pegasus had sat back in her seat in a huff and petulantly crossed her forelegs in front of her chest. “I won’t talk about your brother like that anymore!”

“THANK you!” Applejack half-shouted back, and then sighed and settled back in her seat. “The last thing I need is horrible mental images runnin’ through my head,” the farmer added. She then seemed to think for a moment, and then winced. “At least, not any more than this’un’s gone and ruined my brain with,” she added, with a wave of her hoof towards Lyra.

“Hehe, sorry about that,” Lyra sheepishly said, and rubbed the back of her head with a hoof. “We’re not trying to traumatize anypony, just kind of get carried away now and again.”

“Well just so long as y’all don’t get caught by Applebloom and mess her up for life, we’ll call it even,” Applejack replied, with a huff.

“I’m glad that’s taken care of!” Pinkie Pie interjected, as she seemed to appear from nowhere to pull a seat up to the table between Bakran and Lyra. She then quickly sat down and promptly began to grab salad from the bowl with the serving tongs. “Now we can all get to eating so we can all calm down and ask Bakran all sorts of things!”

Bakran suppressed a sigh at that. And here I was hoping they could all start to relax around me, he thought, as the ponies around the table returned their attentions to him. He also felt their returning suspicions as well, though it was to a lesser degree than before. I guess being honest and on good behavior really does help, the changeling mused.

“So Bakran,” Rarity began, her voice in perfect control despite her earlier anger and the slight blush that remained on her face. “What can you tell us about yourself?”

“Well, there’s not much to tell,” Bakran began, after a bite of food. “I was born to two middle-caste workers, and I have two siblings, a brother and a sister. After I gained my majority I was assigned as a builder and I’ve been doing that for the last seven years.” He shrugged at that. “Not much more to say, really. Oh, aside from the fact that yesterday I really ticked off the queen and she exiled me,” Bakran added, nonchalantly.

“Yeah, about that,” Rainbow Dash chimed in, now recovered from her pout. “What did you do to get literally thrown out of your home, anyway?”

Bakran blinked, and then looked to Twilight. “You didn’t tell them?”

“Well, I told them you were exiled for offending Chrysalis,” Twilight replied, evenly. “I figured if they really wanted to know, they could ask you,” she added, and then turned back to her salad and took a bite.

“And I’m asking,” Rainbow added in, as she leaned forward and rested an elbow on the table. “What the hay gets a changeling exiled, anyway?”

Bakran sighed. “Well, I got a bit drunk last night,” he began. “And when the queen was walking by the bar on a tour of the hive I kind of called her out and told her she was a terrible queen and she screwed up the economy and ticked off Equestria.” Bakran paused as the ponies who didn’t yet know the full story worked to absorb the story. He felt their disbelief, but it didn’t trouble him. I’d have a hard time believing it myself if I didn’t live it, he reasoned. “The guards descended on me at that and started beating me, and it probably would have ended there, but…” Bakran trailed off and then hesitated for a moment as he reached up to rub the back of his neck. “I, uh, kind of panicked and thought I was gonna die anyway, so I really let her have it and said she was also fat and stupid and smelled like moldy cheese.”

Twilight’s ears perked up at that, and she turned to regard Bakran with a stare composed of equal parts of irritation and questioning. “You didn’t tell me that part,” she said, accusingly.

The changeling uncomfortably chuckled. “Well, I’m not exactly proud of panicking and all,” he explained, wanly. “It’s not really something I’d want to remember.”

A quick moment of silence followed that, though it was soon ended by a quiet voice. “Which sibling are you?” Fluttershy asked, finally breaking her shy-spawned muteness. “Oldest, youngest, middle?”

“Oh, oldest,” Bakran replied, evenly. “My sister came next, then my brother.”

“Actually, that brings up a question,” Twilight Sparkle interjected, with an apologetic glance towards Fluttershy. The latter simply smiled and nodded her assent to the unspoken request for primacy, and so Twilight pushed on. “While we’re on the subject of families and all, how does changeling reproduction work? You look so much like insects that it’s hard to imagine you being born like ponies.”

Bakran nodded. “Well, that’s because we’re not,” he replied, and then took a moment to munch on a lettuce leaf as the others around the table took on looks of confusion. “We hatch from eggs.”

Silence once again met this statement, during which the looks on the various pony faces ran the gamut from flabbergasted to disgust. Except for Fluttershy, whose face suddenly brightened. “Oh, how does that work?” she asked, her voice a bit louder and more relaxed. “Are you like bee hives where the queen lays all the eggs? Or are you more like mating pair insects? Are they fertilized before or after laying? Hard shelled or soft? Any growth after laying?”

“Uh,” Bakran muttered, confused at her sudden and intense interest that he could not only see, but feel as well. And is that…? Oh boy. “Well, when a mommy and a daddy changeling love each other very much, they kind of do the horizontal mambo and then lay eggs. At least, that’s how it’s described to me,” he carefully replied, with a profound blush on his face. “As for the rest, soft-shelled and there is actually some growth after laying so they’re generally kept in a nutrient solution until hatching.”

“OKAY!” Applejack suddenly burst into the conversation, her face sporting a curious shade of green. “I want to know how the hay we got into this sort of topic over a meal when some of us would like ta eat?”

“Also, why do you know so much about insect reproduction, Fluttershy?” Twilight added in, as she looked towards the aforementioned pegasus.

Fluttershy blushed heavily at that and seemed to shrink down into herself. “I, uh, help out insects too sometimes,” she replied, very, very quietly.

Yet another bout of silence fell upon the gathering as every pony turned their heads to give Fluttershy curious looks. Bakran, though, simply coughed and turned his head to the side. “So, uh, where is miss Pinkie Pie?” he asked, as he looked around the main room of Sugarcube Corner. “It’s been a while, hasn’t it?”

“I’m sure she’s fine, Bakran,” Rarity chimed in, as she turned her head away from Fluttershy, and the changeling could sense a hint of gratitude from her. “But tell me, darling, do your people wear any kind of clothing, or have any sort of fashion?” she asked, the curiosity thick in her tone and emotions.

“Well, we have some clothing for certain jobs where you need extra protection,” Bakran replied. “As for fashion, I sometimes hear some upper caste office workers talking about that sort of thing, so I guess there’s some kind of fashion going on. But I couldn’t honestly tell you about it as I never saw any of that myself.”

Rarity seemed to sink back and pout a bit, but Bakran could sense she was only mildly disappointed, and so he took no umbrage. It was not her who spoke up next, however. “So what’re the fangs for?” Applejack asked.

Bakran slightly balked at the sudden topic change. “Well, for fang stuff,” he replied, cautiously.

“Fang stuff?” Applejack repeated, while she gave the changeling her distinctive deadpan expression. “Care ta explain that?”

“I’d rather not,” Bakran responded, and shifted in his seat. “I mean, you got disgusted over the egg thing, so I’m not sure how you or the others would like me explaining fang stuff.”

“He eats meat,” Lyra interjected. This garnered everyone’s attention, of course, and the beings around the table all looked to see her giving them an amused expression even as she levitated a fork with leafy greens on its prongs. “There are places outside of Equestria where it’s a common enough thing, especially since it’s only in Equestria that we have enough ambient magic to raise the level of animal intelligence to basic sapience.”

A chorus of blinks met this declaration, and was followed by an exclamation: “Cool!” Rainbow Dash said, from her position opposite of Bakran. “So you eat that stuff?”

“Er, at the hive, yes,” Bakran replied, even as he had to again shift in his seat. The disgust coming from half the ponies here is not doing wonders for my digestion, he sarcastically mused. “Like miss Heartstrings said, animals outside of Equestria’s magic field tend to be pretty dumb and we don’t mind eating them since it’s not like eating a person or anything like that.”

“Oh, it wouldn’t be,” Fluttershy managed to speak up again. She shirked down a bit as everyone’s eyes turned to her, but she managed to steel herself and continued. “Many of the animals I take care of tell me how it is outside of Equestria and even the Everfree; not enough magic and their counterparts there are just like empty shells to them.”

“Huh, so I guess it ain’t like you’re eatin’ some poor sap with a family, then?” Applejack asked of Bakran, as she turned her head back to the changeling.

“Indeed,” Bakran replied, and mentally sighed as he felt the disgust at the table wane. “Most of it is butchered long before it gets to our dinner tables anyway, so all we see are the cuts of meat.”

“So how’s it taste?” Rainbow asked. She then learned forward and rested an elbow on the table as she awaited the reply.

“What, meat?” Bakran asked back, and when she nodded, he could only shrug. “Like meat. It doesn’t really taste like anything else that you’d find in a vegetarian diet, not even cheese or eggs.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” Rainbow said, with a wave of the foreleg that wasn’t propping her up. “I was—am friends with a griffon,” she said, hesitating only to correct herself. “She’s told me that, but I mean, what’s it like? Every meat-eater I talk to acts like they’d rather lose a leg than stop eating it, so what’s so great about it?”

“Rainbow, must we have this conversation now?” Rarity interjected, with a frown at the addressed pegasus. “It's bad enough that bit with the, well, you know,” she she said, and then waved a hoof dismissively. “But now this?”

“C'mon, it's just food,” Dash countered.

“Maybe miss Rarity is right, though,” Bakran spoke up, and he waited until he garnered the arguing parties' attentions before he continued. “I can feel the discomfort coming from other ponies here and so it might be a topic for another time and place.”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes at that, but she sat back in her seat and huffed. “Fine,” she ground out, reluctantly. “But you and me are having a chat later,” she said, and pointed a hoof at Bakran to add weight to her words.

“Okay,” Bakran replied, cautiously. He paused for a few moments, during which he and others took bites of the lunch they'd been neglecting, but soon spoke up again after a swallow. “I didn't realize you all would be so curious about changeling stuff.”

“Well, changelings are pretty reclusive compared to other races,” Twilight replied.

“And ya had to have expected a question or two 'bout things,” Applejack added in.

Bakran shrugged. “Well, sure, but I didn't expect the Royal Inquisition.”

A sudden slam was heard and made everyone at the table jump. Then a voice shouted loudly from the front of the room: “NOPONY expects the Royal Inquisition!”

As one, the group at the table turned heads and bodies alike to view the source of the outburst, and we to a being shocked to see three changelings had burst through the front door to Sugarcube Corner. All three were dressed in red robes, and the one in the lead wore a broad-brimmed hat. He apparently had been the one to shout, as now that he had the attention of everypony in the room he began to speak again. “Our biggest weapon is surprise. Surprise and fear,” he added, quickly, as if he had just remembered something. “Our two weapons are surprise and fear.”

“Wait,” one of the changelings next to him spoke up, and the leader turned his head to regard his compatriot. “What about our ruthless efficiency?”

“Okay, right,” the leader said, and then turned back to the room at large. “Our three weapons are surprise, fear, and ruthless efficiency.”

“Yeah,” said the third changeling. “And an almost fanatical devotion to queen Chrysalis.”

“And our almost fanatical devotion to queen Chrysalis,” the leader echoed, without looking back. “Our four weapons—no, amongst our weapons are such diverse elements as surprise, fear, ruthless efficiency, and an almost fanatical devotion to queen Chrysalis.”

A heartbeat of silence followed that, and then the second changeling spoke again. “What about the snazzy uniforms?” he asked, with a look to the back of his leader's head.

At this, the leader blinked, and then face-hoofed. “Augh! I forgot the snazzy uniforms,” he said, and then lowed the hoof. “Okay, wait, we'll come in again,” he said, and then turned around and started to lead the robed changelings towards the door they had burst through.

Said door, however, was suddenly surrounded by a purple aura and slammed shut in their faces. “Bakran,” Twilight growled from where she remained seated at the table. Her head and vision were affixed to the door she held shut in her magic and the three now-confused changelings at the front of the room, but she could still see the addressed male out of the corner of her eyes. “What is this?”

“Uh, it looks like the Royal Inquisition,” Bakran replied, bemusedly. “They're Chrysalis' enforcers in the hive and are widely feared, but, I have no idea what they're doing out here.”

“You expect us to believe that?” Applejack grumbled herself, even as she and the other ponies began to get up from their seats.

All save one; Lyra remained seated with a frustrated look on her face. Strangely enough, it was her who spoke up next. “Oh for eff's sake,” she said, and then face-hoofed herself. “Will nothing ever escape the Monty Python Singularity?” she asked, and only then started to climb out of her seat to join the others.

This garnered confused looks from the rest of the group, but any further conversation was interrupted as the changelings at the front of the room started to pound at the door. “Stupid pony door,” the leader grumbled. “No one told you to close!”

“I don't think it's the door, Larry,” the changeling on the left said. Unlike the other two he had turned his head back to look over the room, and he was now locking eyes with the angry ponies (and one confused changeling) who were now starting to walk over.

The leader of the dressed group turned around at that, and then gasped. “The traitor!” he shouted, as he raised a hoof and jabbed it towards Bakran. “I should have known you'd be in cahoots with the anti-Changeling forces!”

“Traitor?” Twilight echoed, and then turned her head to look at Bakran, who himself was starting to frown. “What's this about?”

“He spoke out against our righteous and glorious queen!” the leader, Larry, heatedly answered for Bakran. His hoof was still raised and now was being waggled at the aforementioned confused changeling. “And now we see he is collaborating with our political enemies!”

“These guys are feared in your hive?” Rainbow Dash asked, as she turned her head to Bakran.

“Feared, yes, because they can have you arrested and executed by the guards for any reason,” Bakran replied. “Respected? No. As you can see, they're pretty dumb,” he added, and then leaned towards Twilight Sparkle a bit and lowered his voice just enough to seem like he was being circumspect, yet remained loud enough so that no one had trouble hearing him. “We think it's the upper caste inbreeding,” he noted.

“Insolence!” Larry shouted, and then shook his raise hoof at Bakran. “I see exile was not enough! Truly now we shall unleash the full wrath of the Inquisition upon you!”

Bakran gave the snazzily-dressed inquisitor a deadpan look that was eerily mirrored by Twilight Sparkle and the other ponies in the group. “You and what army?” Bakran asked, caustically. “If you haven't noticed, we aren't in the hive anymore and you don't have guards to help you.” He then blinked, and glanced over to Twilight. “Uh, they don't actually have an army, do they?”

Twilight frowned, and then cast her detection spell again. “No, not an army, but—the kitchen!” she suddenly interrupted herself, and then spun around and ran towards the back of Sugarcube Corner. Surprised, the other ponies and changelings all stood there in dumbfounded silence for a few moments before Rainbow Dash launched herself into the air and chased after the alacorn, followed immediately by the other ponies and Bakran.

Save Fluttershy, who just slowly sat down and looked at the inquisitors. The changelings looked right back, and then glanced to each other briefly. “Uh, aren't you going to run, as well?” one of the two followers asked.

“Oh no, I'm not really fond of excitement,” Fluttershy replied. “Also I think that Twilight and the others might want to question you later, so I'm going to keep an eye on you so you can't leave.”

Larry chortled at that. “Hah! You? Even in the hive we've heard of your meek demeanor, oh Bearer of Kindness!” he said, in a mocking tone. “Do you think that three of Chrysalis' best will... be...” His voice trailed off at that, as the look Fluttershy gave him suddenly intensified in a way he couldn't comprehend, and a sudden, overwhelming urge to appease the pegasus filled him.

“I think it's time to be quiet now,” Fluttershy said, evenly. “Please sit down and wait for my friends to come back,” she added, and then smiled when the three inquisitors rapidly sat on their haunches. “There's some good changelings,” she said. “Now, would any of you like a snack?”

* * * *

Twilight burst through the door to the kitchen and was immediately struck by the disarray the room was in. Pots and pans and baking sheets of all kinds were strewn about, and coatings of flour, sugar, and various other confectionery ingredients were liberally spread over every available surface. Several small appliances had been uprooted and seemingly thrown about, and one of the ovens was even slightly on fire. Even the back door had not been spared, and it lied flattened on the floor.

Worse than that, though, she saw both Carrot and Cup Cake tied up and gagged on the floor in the middle of the kitchen, both giving her pleading, panicked stares. Without a thought Twilight ran over to them and used her magic to remove said gags. “What happened?” she asked, worriedly, as Dash and the others started to file into the room.

“No time!” Carrot Cake shouted. “Changelings grabbed Pinkie and took her out the back!”

“What!” Rainbow Dash shouted, and then without waiting for a reply shot off immediately to fly through the broken rear entrance and into the alley behind the bakery. “There they are!” she shouted, and then disappeared in a polychromatic flash.

“Rarity, stay here and help the Cakes,” Twilight ordered, and then ran out the back, with Applejack at her heels. Surprisingly, both Bakran and Lyra were following as well, though the alacorn simply filed that away for later as she reached the alley and turned the direction Rainbow had disappeared down. Although the alley was long empty of the speedy pegasus and the ones she pursued, a quick cast of her detection spell revealed the direction and approximate distance of the three other changelings who had apparently absconded with her friend. “Hang on,” Twilight said, as she slowed to a halt, prompting the others to mirror her. “They're heading for the main road out to the farms bordering the Everfree; I'll teleport us there,” she added, and then charged her horn up.

A flash and a sudden feeling of the world turning inside-out for a moment washed over the group, followed by a brief moment of disorientation as their minds worked to resolve the unnatural discontinuity of suddenly finding themselves on a dirt road just outside Ponyville. Twilight, naturally, recovered first, and she scanned the area around her for the kidnappers; a task made easy as there were no ponies in sight on the road, or amongst the occasional house, garden, or unused plot of forested land that lined the path. Thus the dust cloud the kidnappers threw up as they came roaring down the road was easy to see, as was the rainbow contrail that followed them at an altitude that would be considered suicidal for most pegasi flying at that speed.

“Well, that was easy,” Applejack said, as the black blobs in the cloud closed in and resolved into the shapes of three changelings in some kind of odd, thin plate armor, one of whom had a squirming, hog-tied and gagged Pinkie Pie on his back. The latter were not oblivious, though, and soon came to a rapid stop as the saw the party waiting for them.

“Oh horseapples, Applejack,” Lyra groaned, from where she lined up with the other ponies and Bakran across the road. “Did you really have to say that? Now they're going to do something unexpected.”

The apple farmer blinked, and then turned her head to give a bemused look at the minty unicorn. “What the hay do you—?”

“Wait, they are doing something unexpected,” Twilight Sparkle interrupted, and the three ponies and Bakran all focused their attention to the kidnappers. The one carrying Pinkie Pie said something to his compatriots, who then turned around and started firing off offensive blasts of magic back at Rainbow Dash as she closed in on them. This kept the pegasus from moving into an attack run, and also allowed the apparent leader to take something spherical out from a pouch he wore around his neck. “What are they up to?” Twilight asked.

She was answered, but not by a pony's words. Instead the leader of the kidnapping changelings fiddled with the object he had pulled out and a sudden, piercing whine started to emanate from it. It started off very low and quiet at first, but started to build rapidly over a period of four seconds into an ear-aching volume that almost, but not quite covered up the shocked gasp that came from Lyra. Then the noise raised up a few more decibels and reached a crescendo that sounded like a mix of an explosion, breaking glass, and a waterfall, while a sphere of blue energy appeared around the kidnappers and their prize while the world around them suddenly looked bleached of all color. Then a split second later the odd energy ball disappeared as the odd booming-breaking-falling noise sounded again and color returned to the world.

Twilight blinked her eyes, as the scene had hurt to look at, yet had happened so quick she hadn't thought to look away. When she looked out after her vision cleared, she was startled to see that the kidnappers had completely disappeared. “What the hay?” she uttered, in shock. “Did they teleport?” she asked, even as she cast the changeling detection spell again and, to her shock, found only Bakran nearby.

“No,” Lyra answered, in a steel tone. The sudden word, spoke so surely, brought Twilight, Applejack, and Bakran out of their surprise and they all turned their heads to see the unicorn giving the area where the changelings had been standing a hard, angry look. “That was a chronosphere. I recognize that distinctive effect.”

“What the hay is a chronosphere?” a new voice asked, and the group turned their heads again to see that Rainbow Dash had approached them and landed.

“I think there's an even more important question,” Applejack interjected, and then turned, raised a hoof, and punched Bakran across the face. The changeling was completely unprepared for an attack, and he grunted in pain and fell to the ground as a result. Before he or anyone else could react, though, Applejack had already advanced and now pressed the hoof she had hit him with against his throat to keep him on the ground. “Namely, why in th' name of Tartarus did your buddies kidnap Pinkie?” she asked, of the changeling.

Bakran yelped a bit as the hoof landed on his throat. “I don't know!” he replied, in a mixture of confusion and surprise. “I'm as surprised as you are!”

“Lair!” Applejack shouted, and then dug in her hoof just a bit. “You expect us ta believe that a changeling who drops from the sky into Ponyville ain't connected to the other six that start a ruckus and kidnap one of our best friends on th' very same day?” she asked, heatedly. “I'm a farmer, boy, but I ain't stupid!”

“I'm not lying!” Bakran replied, with a bit of panic in his voice now.

“I don't think he is, AJ,” Lyra said, even as she moved to stand directly in front of the earth pony as the latter kept pressure on the changeling. Lyra made sure to meet Applejack's eyes as she continued. “The three buffoons in robes were clearly a diversion, and the ones who grabbed Pinkie Pie were the real team. But Bakran already had us alerted to the possibility of changeling plots, and Twilight had her detection spell all ready to go, which she wouldn't have if Bakran hadn't landed and stirred things up.”

The group paused to consider this, and Twilight made a small gasp as she had a realization. “That's right,” she said, as her eyes looked off into the distance. “I hadn't used that spell in months, and I actually had to brush up on it a bit after Bakran landed just to make sure I was using it right.”

“And it was Bakran who turned to Twilight and asked if those inquisitors had an actual army waiting, thus prompting her scan,” Lyra added in, even as she continued to meet Applejack's stare. “If it wasn't for him we might not have noticed Pinkie Pie's abduction until the kidnappers were long gone, and we would have had no lead on finding her again.”

What lead?” Rainbow Dash interrupted, and all the group turned their heads to her. The pegasus had taken to hovering in the air just above the ground, and was using her forelegs to help express her frustration as she threw them wide. “They disappeared into thin air!”

“And that wasn't any kind of teleport spell I know,” Twilight added in. Her face was scrunched up in concentration as she started to simultaneously run through her memories of spells, as well as casting a few of them as she spoke. “Nothing about magic teleportation mentions effects like that, and none of my tracer or changeling detection spells are tracking anything.”

“That's because it's not magic,” Lyra replied. “It's a quantum foam wormhole expanded to transport the targeted subjects using a brute-force method that requires lots of energy, but no magic. That's why your tracing spells aren't working.”

Twilight blinked as her mind processed the unicorn's words. “How would you know this?” she asked, confusedly.

Lyra shrugged. “I told you, I travel.”

“Uh, ladies?” Bakran spoke up, and the mares around him all looked back down at the changeling, who still had an orange hoof on his throat. “I don't mean to be rude, but could Applejack let me up now?”

Applejack shot looks to the other ponies at that, and then grimaced a bit when she saw all three of them giving her a tired look. “Sorry,” she said, as she quickly removed her hoof from Bakran's neck. “I'm just a little on edge.”

“It's alright,” Bakran said, and then coughed as he pushed himself up to sitting on his haunches. He then rubbed his throat with a hoof and continued. “I understand, your friend just got abducted and it looks suspicious, I get that.”

“Dude,” Rainbow Dash said, in a bemused tone. “You're taking this way too easily.”

“Well, I did say for you all to be wary of me, didn't I?” Bakran replied. “Plus, I'm putting myself in your horseshoes. I mean, if a pony suddenly appeared in the hive, and then a second group of ponies came in and abducted my sister, I'd think the first pony had something to do with it, too.”

Applejack blushed a bit at that. “Er, Pinkie's not my sister,” she said.

“Well, you certainly seem to consider her to be one,” Bakran said, and then seemed to roll his eyes as Applejack gave him a suspicious look. He then reached up and tapped the side of his head. “Changelings are emotivores, remember? I can feel all of your emotions, including how you all feel like sisters to one another,” he said, and then looked over at Lyra. “Well, except for her, but I think that's a friend dynamic thing.”

A light cough sounded over the group, and they all turned to regard Twilight Sparkle, who now seemed to have regained her bearings and had assumed a somewhat regal-looking stance. “As interesting as this conversation is, we're wasting time,” she said, with a mild form of urgency in her voice. “We need to find out where they took Pinkie Pie, and why, and get her back,” Twilight added, and then looked over to the unicorn in the group. “Lyra, you seem to have some knowledge about the situation, so I'm going to have to ask you to assist.”

“Of course, your highness,” Lyra respectfully replied, and then gave a brief bow that mortified Twilight slightly. “Even if you didn't ask, I'd insist; the use of a chronosphere here signifies a threat I cannot ignore.”

“I... suppose,” Twilight said, somewhat confused as her air of regality faded. “You're going to have to explain more on that, and why it's so significant.”

“Gladly,” Lyra replied, and then turned to look towards the center of Ponyville. “But first, I think we should question the over-dressed ninnies back in Sugarcube Corner.”

Twilight blinked at that. “Oh, shoot!” she exclaimed, with a frown. “I forgot about them; they're probably miles away by now.”

“Heh, I doubt it,” Rainbow Dash interjected, and everyone turned to see that she wore a smirk. “I saw Fluttershy walking towards them even as I flew into the kitchen, so I'm pretty sure she's got them waiting for us.”

“Fluttershy?” Bakran asked, surprised. “She doesn't seem the type to hold back inquisitors. I mean, yeah, they're dumb, but they're also ridiculously aggressive and prone to being physical even without guards to back them up.”

“Trust me,” Twilight said, as she started to share Dash's smirk. “They'll be there.”

* * * *

The scene that Bakran witnessed befuddled him to no end, as he walked in after Twilight Sparkle and her friends to see that the three inquisitor changelings were sitting peaceably near the front door, with Fluttershy sitting in front of them. The two cronies were munching on something and making small talk with the buttercream pegasus, though their leader silently fumed as he held his forelegs crossed over his chest. “How the flip did she do that?” Bakran muttered.

“Dear Fluttershy can have a way with even uncooperative guests,” Rarity spoke up, from where she was waiting in the middle of the room for her friends' return. “The Cakes are upstairs and resting from their dreadful ordeal,” she added, as she spoke to Twilight with a hopeful look. It soon soured, though, once she saw the frown on the alacorn's face. “I take it you couldn't stop them and get Pinkie back?” she asked.

“Unfortunately, no,” Twilight replied, and then sighed. “But we'll get her back,” she added, and then glanced over to the other unicorn in the group. “Lyra, do you have any suggestions how to proceed?”

The addressed mare nodded at the alacorn. “I do. Let me start,” she said, and then waited for Twilight to nod back. At this Lyra turned back around and headed towards the trio of captive changelings, with Twilight following just behind her. Lyra tilted her head back as she approached, and when she spoke next she heavily emphasized the Canterlot accent she normally worked to suppress. “Hello, quislings,” she said, to the confusion of every other being in the room. “And who might you be?”

The two minions looked to their leader, who simply frowned and stared up at the unicorn. After a few moments of this, however, Fluttershy cleared her throat and made eye contact with the hat-wearing male. “It's not nice to ignore a question,” she said, sweetly.

Yet something she said seemed to affect the leader, and he flinched. “Er, yes,” he said, and then returned his gaze to Lyra with a slightly less offended expression. “I'm Larry,” he said, and then turned his head to gesture to the changeling on his right. “This is my brother, Darryl,” he said, and then turned his head to the other minion. “And this is my other brother, Darryl.”

Twilight Sparkle blinked hard at that. “You have two brothers named Darryl?” she asked, and then frowned when she received nods from all three changelings. “Doesn't that get confusing?”

“Not really,” Larry said. “Watch,” he said, and then cleared his throat and looked forward. “Hey, Darryl?”

“Yeah?” the changeling on his right asked, after he finished a bite of the cupcake he'd been munching on.

“See?” Larry asked, as he turned his eyes back to the princess.

Twilight's face twisted into a mien of confusion. “But, what if you wanted your other brother?”

“Oh, watch,” Larry said, and then cleared his throat again. “Hey, Darryl?”

“Yeah?” the changeling on his left asked back, after having nearly swallowed a chocolate chip cookie whole.

“See? Not a problem,” Larry said, with a wave of his hoof.

“Yes, we do see,” Lyra said, even as she shot a glance over to Twilight Sparkle, who remained somewhat confounded. The alacorn nevertheless got the message, and then nodded for the unicorn to continue, which Lyra did after returning her gaze to the lead inquisitor. “Now, why did you storm into Sugarcube Corner?”

Larry frowned and crossed his hooves against his chest again. Darryl, though, spoke up after he finished another cookie. “Queen Chrysalis ordered us to storm in and abduct the pink one,” he said, matter-of-factly.

His brother and leader shot Darryl a nasty look, but Lyra and Darryl both ignored it. “Really?” Lyra asked of the more talkative changeling, and when he nodded she pressed on. “Did she give you these orders herself, or did she pass them down the chain of command?”

At this, Larry finally seemed to stir a bit, and he raised his head high. “Her royal majesty Queen Chrysalis recognized our prowess and devotion as enforcers of her glorious rule and personally had us visit her throne room for our orders,” he proudly responded.

“Really, now?” Lyra asked, skeptically.

“Really,” Larry replied, with a nod.

“Interesting,” Lyra said, and then began to pace back and forth in front of the trio of captives. “So tell me, then, if Chrysalis is so great then how come her plan failed?”

Larry opened his mouth to retort, but all words died in his mouth as he had a sudden realization. “Her plan was flawless,” he begrudgingly answered, after a moment of thought. “It was our execution that had some issues.”

“Or she was stupid,” Lyra countered, and then smirked inwardly as Larry bristled. “After all, her brilliant plan was to throw away her best in a frontal assault without any chance for them to escape being captured, forever stuck without hope of retrieval. How callous she must be to simply throw away her best troops for such a frivolous mission.”

“She is not stupid nor callous,” Larry ground out.

“Oh really?” Lyra countered, as she stopped pacing and then walked over to push her muzzle into Larry's personal space. “Then why are you still here? Don't bother to answer that,” she added, quickly, as Larry opened up his mouth. “We all know why you're here: because her plan was so deeply flawed that she left you no way, none whatsoever to escape captivity and return because she's a fool!”

“Chrysalis is no fool!” Larry nearly shouted at the unicorn. “If she was a fool, would she have given us this?” he asked, and then reached up with a hoof to whip off his hat. To everyone's mild surprise, there was another, curious sphere sitting on top of his head, somehow perfectly balanced. “With one press of the switch we can be home instan—hey!” Larry shouted, as he was interrupted by Lyra's magic coming alive to snatch the object from his head. “Give that back!” the changeling said, and began to reach for the trinket.

A second aura of magic came alive, and a purple field gripped Larry and held him still. Twilight Sparkle made sure the lead inquisitor was secure and also that his brothers wouldn't intervene—not that they seemed to, as Fluttershy had apparently kept them supplied with food and thus complacent—before she walked up to where Lyra was examining the sphere in her golden aura. “What is it?” Twilight asked, as she laid eyes on the strange, metal object with a large button of some kind on the side. Huh, a safety cover over it, the alacorn noted. A good idea, if that button activates whatever it does. “Is that one of those chronospheres you were talking about?”

“No, it's only a retrieval beacon,” Lyra replied, as she continued to closely examine the object as she rotated it in her aura. “An actual chronosphere is as tall as Ponyville's town hall, three times as wide, and six times as long,” she continued, and then sighed. “And unfortunately, this doesn't tell me who built it.”

“What do you mean, 'who built it'?” Rainbow Dash interjected, as she and the others started to crowd around the princess and the minty mare. “The changelings are using it, so they built it, right?”

“No,” Lyra stated, heavily, as she turned her gaze towards her peers. “The technology for this kind of device is principally exclusive to civilizations in realities with a low or non-existent magic coefficient, since they're the only ones who need to mess around with the finer mechanisms of existence to achieve certain capabilities.”

Silence met this statement, though it was brief. “Realities? As in, parallel realities?” Twilight Sparkle deadpanned. When Lyra nodded a reply, the princess sighed heavily. “Lyra, here I thought you were experienced, but it seems to me you've been letting your imagination run away with you again.”

“Why?” Lyra asked. “Because alternate realities are 'not scientifically possible'?” she countered, and then smirked as Twilight winced. “If you can go back in time and create a stable time loop, then isn't it a bit of intellectual dishonesty to refuse the possibility of alternate realities?”

“...Alright, I suppose that's a fair point,” Twilight ground out after a moment. “But even if that's true, how would you know about them and what they have?”

“Like I said,” Lyra replied, with a smug grin. “I travel, Twilight.”

Again, silence met this declaration. “Wait, so you travel to other realities, like in books?” Rainbow Dash asked of the minty unicorn, who nodded. “Coooool,” the pegasus said, with a grin.

“How would you even do that?” Twilight demanded, with a hint of frustration in her voice. “And more importantly, why didn't you tell anypony?”

“I did!” Lyra retorted, with a frown. “I personally visited Princess Celestia and Princess Luna in Canterlot with my findings. They gave me a royal letter of marque to oversee the Causeway. Didn't they tell you about that?”

Twilight froze for a moment, and then her face fell. “No... they didn't,” she said, quietly.

Lyra's face lightened a bit as she saw the hurt expression on the alacorn's face. “Well, I'm sure they were going to get around to it,” she offered. “I mean, this is really the first time any of this stuff has actually spilled over to our reality, so it's probably just never been a problem before.”

Twilight seemed to recover a bit from that, but it wasn't her who spoke up next. “Look, I guess this is all kinda... interesting,” Applejack said, and then looked at the two most learned ponies of the group. “But how is this going to help us find Pinkie Pie?”

“Oh, I know!” Rainbow Dash excitedly said, as she took to the air and hovered in place as she raised her forelegs up. “We're going to activate that beacon thingy and instead of it being those bozos it'll be us and we'll storm the hive and get Pinkie out,” she said, as she practice punched the air. Then Dash grinned and looked down at Lyra. “Right?”

“Wrong,” Lyra replied, which caused Dash's expression to go straight into a pouty frown. “That would be a very foolish thing. Even if they weren't expecting us, they'd be transporting us to a secure area filled with guards; I doubt we'd get very far without being captured ourselves,” the unicorn continued, and then turned her head to regard the beacon again. “Also, it's been a while since the other changelings shifted back, so they'll probably suspect these guys have been captured by now,” she added, with a wave of a hoof towards the captive inquisitors.

“In fact,” Bakran spoke up, his voice soft as he seemed to stare into the distance as his mind worked. “Given how dense these guys are, and how dense inquisitors are in general, Chrysalis probably expected them to be captured.”

“Which means, it might be a trap,” Twilight Sparkle chimed in, as her own mind started down the same tracks.

“Exactly,” Lyra said, with a nod. “Which means that half of this plan might just be a ruse to get you girls to hop straight into Chrysalis' clutches in an eager and hurried attempt to rescue your friend.”

“That seems awfully complex for one of Chrysalis' plans,” Rarity observed. “I mean, this is a being who thought that conquering just the capitol city would be enough to conquer all of Equestria.”

“And did a poor job of pretending to be Cadance, to boot,” Twilight added, in agreement. She then looked back to Lyra again. “Can we be sure that was the plan?”

“Maybe, maybe not,” Lyra replied, with a shrug. “But it might not be her making the decisions; she's got tech that shouldn't exist in this reality, and that means she has to have found an ally in some alternate reality.

“Or, more worryingly,” Lyra continued, as her voice dropped a bit. “That someone from another reality has found an ally in her to work against Equestria.”

A heavy silence fell over the group at that speculation. “That don't sound good ta me at all,” Applejack opined.

“It isn't,” Lyra agreed, with a nod. She then turned to regard the inquisitor changelings, who had been listening in rapt attention. Even Larry, whom Twilight had released during her conversation with Lyra as the male had settled down. “Have you seen any new beings in your hive as of late? Any strange occurrences or unexplained phenomena?”

“Why should we help you?” Larry retorted. “You are anti-Chrysalis, and seek to undo her plans.”

“Because she's in over her head, you idiot,” Bakran chimed in, rather heatedly. “Don't you see? Aren't you understanding what they're talking about?” he asked, as he waved a hoof over at Twilight and Lyra. “This is some kind of greater threat to our very world, do you really think it will be best friend forever to the hive? Or don't you think it'll turn on Chrysalis and the entire changeling race the instant it gets what it wants?”

Larry seemed defiant, as he crossed his forelegs over his chest again. His two brothers, though, shared a look behind his back, and then the Darryl eating cupcakes spoke up. “There are rumors from the other inquisitors that some changelings have gone missing, without the Inquisition actually doing anything,” he said, even as Larry shot him a shocked look. “Supposedly there's a flash of light and then they're gone.”

“And there's rumors of strange voices coming from the queen's throne room late at night,” the other Darryl added in, also ignoring a glance from Larry. “Also laughter. Lots of deep, booming laughter.”

“Hmm,” Lyra hummed, as she absorbed this information. “That's not too distinct, but it does sound familiar to someone I encountered some time ago,” she offered, even as she brought up a hoof to stroke her chin. “But we'll need to be sure before we do anything.”

“And how can we be sure?” Twilight Sparkle asked.

Lyra turned to her and then gave a most unsettling smile. “Two words: road trip.”

Comments ( 30 )

“Why?” Lyra asked. “Because alternate realities are 'not scientifically possible'?” she countered, and then smirked as Twilight winced. “If you can go back in time and create a stable time loop, then isn't it a bit of intellectual dishonesty to refuse the possibility of alternate realities?”

Oh snaps!

I wonder what Lyra's whole story with Bon Bon is. Also, LyraMac? First time I've seen that in a story :eeyup:

D48

Well, to start I am going to address your questions in the beginning because you are clearly worried about it even though your writing is always excellent.

So is this chapter boring?

No, definitely not. You held my attention very firmly and kept me wanting to read more the entire time.

Did the first part drag on?

Not at all. You have always been great at these kinds of shenanigans, and this might just be your best work in this area that I have read. Lyra feels stronger than in your previous work which is very impressive because she has always been a staple of yours and perfectly capable of carrying a story on her own so getting a noticeable improvement in her performance is frankly amazing. You also did a great job with Bakran and the way Twilight is playing off him and Lyra is absolutely exceptional. The others are also going strong and Rainbow in particular had some great lines which really brought this all together into an exceptional read.

To be perfectly honest, I enjoyed the first part more than the second because of how amazingly well you handled the characters. This is not to say the second was anything less than excellent, it is just that the action and plot in the second by its very nature had to draw attention away from the amazing shenanigans.

Or was it interesting to read?

*looks up* Yes. :rainbowlaugh:

Am I doing well to keep it a light-hearted adventure with enough drama/stakes to keep it interesting, or am I mixing it too even to really fit into fun or serious?

This is a bit of an odd question. On the one hand it did feel like a bit too much drama at the end there, but on the other hand you really did have to take time to set up the plot or it would have gotten incoherent so I cannot complain at this point. Just make sure to shift it back towards more of your exceptional shenanigans instead of heavy drama in the next chapter and everything will be amazing.

Also, I think the best way to wrap this up will be to make this mysterious external player totally benign one way or another so everyone winds up friends at the end. After all, mysterious does not necessarily mean evil and it is much easier to do goofy when everyone winds up as friend; a deep, booming laugh could easily just be a big jolly guy with a big deep voice (think Flutterguy); and Pinkie would be the pony to laugh off (or collaborate with :rainbowlaugh::facehoof:) abduction and become friends with him and the changelings so there is a benign explanation for this if you choose to go down that path. There are obviously tons of alternatives and ways to implement this broad concept, but I think something along these lines would fit in better with the tone of the story and show than a climactic battle.

Now for more general stuff. First, I am loving the fact that Lyra is back and taking a leading role in this story. You always do a great job with her and, as I said before, this might be the best I have ever seen so I am especially happy to see her here.

Second, I am getting some serious shipping vibes off the interactions between Twilight and Bakran which is making me think Twilight will be conducting some purely academic research into the compatibility of pony and changeling reproductive organs before the story is over. :rainbowlaugh::raritystarry:

Third, I am a bit disappointed it was Pinkie that got yanked. I was really enjoying watching her freak out Bakran and she had some great interplay with Lyra as well so not having her around is a tiny bit disappointing. That said, her humor can get old easily because she tends to be more about gags and popping out of weird places than anything else so it is not necessarily a terrible thing that she won't be a huge part of the story.

Fourth, I really hope Bon Bon gets dragged along for their "road trip". She is another character you always do a great job with, and this setting looks like it will make her even more fun than usual because I am 99% sure she is Bakran's friend and that Lyra knows she is a changeling which will add some fun chaos to the group dynamics.

Anyways, I think that is everything I wanted to talk about here (I probably should have pulled a Twilight and made a list :twilightblush:) so I will just reiterate the fact that this was absolutely amazing and I really hope to see more of it soon.

6574535 It's a reference to one of his other stories, In Medias Res, and seems to imply the two are in the same continuity. I am personally quite happy to see that because it was a fun little story and I was hoping to see him do more with it. Now to see if Big Mac comes along to really cement the connection.

So is this chapter boring?

No.

Did the first part drag on? Or was it interesting to read?

It was my favorite part of this chapter.

Am I doing well to keep it a light-hearted adventure with enough drama/stakes to keep it interesting, or am I mixing it too even to really fit into fun or serious? Let me know after reading, please. I'm trying to get back into writing by doing silly, random things like this, but if it's bad writing, then it's bad writing and I need to know that.

Second part I felt was a bit over the top. My suspension of disbelief was suspended. :pinkiesad2:

This is getting a little too weird for me. Knowing me, that's saying something.

Its alicorn not alacorn, other way you say that mlp is wrong and you should tag it as AU
Especially now with what are you doing

6583655
Sorry I don't accept wiki as viable source, and you too shouldn't.
In MLP:FiM its alicorn, no pegacorn and no alacorn even if they did it wrong that is canon for this (same with all puns names)

Rokas #9 · Oct 31st, 2015 · · 1 ·

6584237
If you don't want to use it, fine, but I am using it. If you don't like it, don't read the story. I frankly cannot abide people who tell me how to use words. Especially when they have poor grammar and/or punctuation.

6575064
Firstly I want to thank you for the long comment. It's nice having some meaty feedback now and then.

I do plan on shifting things back to a more fun feel, as you've noted this bit is mainly to set up the conflict. Although I'm not sure how you or anyone else who didn't like the second part of the chapter so much will take the rest of the story, as I've imagined it in a similar, action-y vein with lots of silliness thrown in.

I'm rather surprised that you liked the first part more. I had fun writing it but the more I went on the more I feared I'd be killing the story with too much detail and conversation, the whole "talking heads" syndrome thing. Honestly I was considering going through and editing out large chunks of the whole lunch scene because it felt like it was starting to really drag on and become boring.

I don't want to spoil any surprises, but I'm afraid there won't be any super-happy ending where everyone has tea and cake and share a good laugh at a misunderstanding. In my head Chrysalis is a bad, bad person and she's getting written that way, and her mysterious benefactor isn't going to be Santa Claus. I will of course try to keep it light, but I'm a traditionalist and I like my bad guys bad and my good guys good.

As for Pinkie being nabbed... there's a reason it's her, specifically. :trollestia: And Bonbon will, of course, be dragged along. :pinkiecrazy:

And yes, Twilight and Bakran will be doing "comparative studies" at some point, I'm sure. Soooo tempted to write an omake kind of thing about that.

Bonbon: "I wish those two would [bleep] already. The unresolved sexual tension is like having every one of my emotional tastebuds stabbed with hormonal angst."
Lyra: "What the hay is hormonal angst?"
Bonbon: "When you went through puberty, did you ever feel like just ripping something apart, just to have something to focus on other than the unpredictable, insane feelings running through your head and/or groin?"
Lyra: "...Yeah?"
Bonbon: "Like that, but with whiny, teenage angst. Like, the whiniest, most teenage angst. The kind of angst that writes poetry. The kind of angst that makes teenagers so damn insufferable to those who've gone through it because we remember what we were like and oh gods I hate my past self SO MUCH."
Lyra: "Wow. Yeah, those two should totally [bleep]."
Bonbon: "I know, right?"
Big Mac: "Eeeeyup."

D48

6585871

Firstly I want to thank you for the long comment. It's nice having some meaty feedback now and then.

No problem, I'm good at walls of text when I have something to say. :twilightblush:

I do plan on shifting things back to a more fun feel, as you've noted this bit is mainly to set up the conflict. Although I'm not sure how you or anyone else who didn't like the second part of the chapter so much will take the rest of the story, as I've imagined it in a similar, action-y vein with lots of silliness thrown in.

"Didn't like" is really much too strong a way to put it. It was still very good and a lot of fun to read, it just wasn't as strong as the first part. I have no problem with you moving forwards with more "action-y" stuff as you so eloquently put it, I just think you would be better off if you shifted it more towards the shenanigans side of thing and used the action more as a tool to give them more things to have shenanigans about than making the action what the story is about directly.

I'm rather surprised that you liked the first part more. I had fun writing it but the more I went on the more I feared I'd be killing the story with too much detail and conversation, the whole "talking heads" syndrome thing. Honestly I was considering going through and editing out large chunks of the whole lunch scene because it felt like it was starting to really drag on and become boring.

Ok, you seem to be falling into the traps a lot of novice writers around here fall into so I'll just kick you back on the right track because I know you are better than this.

First, Write for yourself, not others. If you are enjoying writing it, your joy will come through in the quality of the writing and we will enjoy it as a result. If you try to write what you think we want to read when it isn't something you are enjoying, you will just sabotage your own efforts and hurt the story. That means you should keep going when you are enjoying writing something rather than forcing it to stop or be shorter because you will be able to keep it entertaining to read for as long as you are having fun writing it.

Second, stories are about characters, not events. Character interaction can never be a bad thing for a story as long as you are having fun writing it because that is the core of a story. Action is not part of a story because it is inherently fun on its own, it is part of a story because of how it allows characters to interact with each other and/or learn about themselves. The excellent interactions are why the first part of the story was so amazing, and the weaker interactions as they were dealing with minimally characterized antagonists was why the second part was not as strong. This is why I say you should focus on using the story as a vehicle for shenanigans rather than putting the focus on the events themselves like a history textbook does.

Third, details are not the enemy. I am perpetually frustrated by people saying to cut out details on this site because details are how you build the world and draw in interest which makes them a critical supporting element of a story. It is why great authors like Tolkien and Michener have long descriptions all over the place in their books and why those books are so deep and immersive. Conversely, the lack of those lovingly detailed descriptions is why many stories here fall flat and fail to make a significant impression on readers, yet idiots are constantly claiming details are the enemy and scaring authors like you into ruining great stories. If you want an example of what I mean, just give me something to describe and I'll show you exactly what can be accomplished with a little love no matter how simple it is.

Anyways, I hope this helps get you to stop second guessing yourself and get back into your groove because you really are a great author when you stop worrying and let yourself write.

I don't want to spoil any surprises, but I'm afraid there won't be any super-happy ending where everyone has tea and cake and share a good laugh at a misunderstanding. In my head Chrysalis is a bad, bad person and she's getting written that way, and her mysterious benefactor isn't going to be Santa Claus. I will of course try to keep it light, but I'm a traditionalist and I like my bad guys bad and my good guys good.

Eh, it's up to you, but you should remember that "evil" is a literary construct which is not applicable to the real world so you should really avoid it wherever possible. Real conflict usually stems from some combination of miscommunication and a refusal or inability to compromise. Using Chrysalis as an example, she is a changeling so she has a biological need to feed on love, and as queen of the changelings she also has the duty to make sure her subjects are fed. That need does not make her "bad", and a very strong argument can be made that the fact that she did what she did for the good of her subjects and personally took the most dangerous role in the plan makes her "good". Yes it does set up an obvious conflict between her and the ponies, but there is no inherent reason they could not reach a compromise, especially given the fact that Bakran (and presumably Sweets/Bon Bon) is currently proving the fact that changelings and ponies can peacefully coexist. Frankly, given what we know of Chrysalis and Celestia who clearly both put the well being of their subjects ahead of themselves (even if Chrysalis does seem to be a bit of a jerk on a personal level), the evidence is stacked in favor of a compromise being possible. Also, circling back to point two above, working out a compromise between flawed characters offers far more in the way of character interaction and development than "smash teh ebil" which makes it inherently stronger from a storytelling perspective. Also, "beat the baddie" is horribly predictable and leaves very little room for plot twists and surprises if you play it strait, although there is no reason that you cannot leave the story looking like that with no direct insight into what is going on with Chrysalis until the end and then pull a giant plot twist out at the end. Anyways, just remember the rules I laid out above and that tradition is not always a good thing and I'm sure you'll be fine.

As for Pinkie being nabbed... there's a reason it's her, specifically. :trollestia:

I figured that was the case and I figured you wouldn't say why it was her, although I am personally hoping it is something ridiculous like The Professor wanting her to plan a birthday party for his/her daughter.

And Bonbon will, of course, be dragged along. :pinkiecrazy:

:pinkiehappy:

And yes, Twilight and Bakran will be doing "comparative studies" at some point, I'm sure. Soooo tempted to write an omake kind of thing about that.

Bonbon: "I wish those two would [bleep] already. The unresolved sexual tension is like having every one of my emotional tastebuds stabbed with hormonal angst."

Lyra: "What the hay is hormonal angst?"

Bonbon: "When you went through puberty, did you ever feel like just ripping something apart, just to have something to focus on other than the unpredictable, insane feelings running through your head and/or groin?"

Lyra: "...Yeah?"

Bonbon: "Like that, but with whiny, teenage angst. Like, the whiniest, most teenage angst. The kind of angst that writes poetry. The kind of angst that makes teenagers so damn insufferable to those who've gone through it because we remember what we were like and oh gods I hate my past self SO MUCH."

Lyra: "Wow. Yeah, those two should totally [bleep]."

Bonbon: "I know, right?"

Big Mac: "Eeeeyup."

Do it! :rainbowlaugh:

6586613
That's the thing, I don't consider "evil" to be an artificial construct. It is a very real thing and sometimes people are just terrible.

And as for Chyrsalis, I don't understand where everyone keeps getting the impression that she's anything but a greedy tyrant. She invaded Equestria with the intent of enslaving them all, and clearly shown that she has no compunctions about taking out any obstacle that stands in here way with prejudice (most likely extreme prejudice, but this is a children's show after all). That is the only canon representation of her in the show and I have no idea where people get the idea that it's a miscommunication.

SHE. IS. A. B*TCH.

I will NEVER understand this whole mindset that wants to punish the heroes and praise the villains. Yes, there are shades of gray, but gray is nothing more than a mixture of black and white. Turn the dial too far one way or the other and you get something close enough to evil or good as to have no practical difference.

I like some "Chrysalis is actually not so bad" stories, I like "changelings are not so bad" stories, I'm writing the latter now. But fucking Hell, I'm getting sick and tired of being told that I HAVE to write changelings as the whole "misunderstood" thing when THE FIRST CANON APPEARANCE WE HAVE OF THEM IS BEING AN INVADING ARMY MADE UP OF CRUEL BASTARDS WHO LAUGHED AT THE PONIES' MISFORTUNE.

What the [eehf] do you need to need to accept them as a true bad guy? Watch them eat babies? Commit genocide? Enslave an entire race to become food for them? OH WAIT.

I don't tell others how to write changelings. I don't tell them how to write Chrysalis. Even though sometimes I really want to just slap them when they start portraying the victims of the changelings—the ponies—as some sort of racist bastards who started the whole thing somehow.

You suggest I write what I want? That is what I want. A genuine form of evil, a clear sense of good, and none of this hackneyed idiotic moral equivalency crap. If you don't like that then I suggest you stop reading any and every one of my stories, because that's the underlying premise I operate and write with.

D48

6587273 Huh, someone's in a mood. Oh well, since you asked for an explanation I'll give it to you, although you might want to take some time to cool off before responding if you are still feeling emotional about this. I am doing my best to approach this as logically and dispassionately as possible and would appreciate it if you could do the same to at least develop an understanding of the other side of this situation. It might also be a good idea to read this through at least twice and take some time to really think about it before you reply because there is a lot of interconnected content here which all needs to be logically considered to fully understand the situation.

First, I want to make it very clear that I am not saying Chrysalis is not a bitch. She has made it very clear that she is not the most likable of individuals in the show (at least at that point in time, if she is as old as Celestia like I suspect it is entirely possible she has changed a lot over the centuries just like Celestia could have), but being unlikable does not make her evil. There have been plenty of jerks over the course of history that accomplished great things just like there are plenty of likable people that have done horrible things. You really need to make sure you do not let her personality obscure your judgement here because her abrasiveness does not necessarily indicate deeper problems and could easily be used as a character flaw which strengthens her character. Hell, Rainbow is a great example of this because she can be an abrasive bitch at times, but we both know how wonderful an individual she is deep down. Now that we have established that, the real crux of the issue is her motives and actions so I will discuss each of those in detail to explain where the sympathy comes from.

First is motives which she makes very clear in the episode with this line:

Right you are, Princess. And as queen of the changelings, it is up to me to find food for my subjects. Equestria has more love than any place I've ever encountered. My fellow changelings will be able to devour so much of it that we will gain more power than we have ever dreamed of!

Her first priority is very clearly to feed her subjects, and there is no way you can argue that there is anything wrong with that. After all, if they don't feed then they will starve to death and there is no moral theory I know of that says starving to death is acceptable. Thus her core motivation for her actions is undeniably noble and there is no way to fault her for that.

It is true that the bit about gaining "more power than we have ever dreamed of" could be a sign of greed or something else negative, but it is highly likely that her changelings are already starving based on her core motivation, choice of drastic action, and the pitiful performance of the changelings in the fight with the mane six so it is entirely possible that what she really means there is them not having to worry about going hungry which is just her being a good ruler and looking out for the well being of her subjects. The only other line that gives any indication of her motives or plans is the line "Everypony I'll soon control" which is similarly vague because it could apply to her taking Celestia's place as the ruler of Equestria rather than mind control or something, although it does at least indicate that she has no intention of killing anyone. Thus her motives are morally neutral at absolute worst and realistically paint her in at least a moderately positive light.

Moving on to her actions, things start to get complicated here because of how little we see, although there is still a lot that can be inferred from both the actions and the situation if you really think about it. These points will be in no particular order and will cover as much as I can think of because there are a lot of data points to consider.

To start with something I mentioned earlier, the pitiful performance of the changelings in the fight against the mane six provides strong evidence that they were starving and weak. That starvation strongly implies that the changelings were desperate and looking for a quick way to solve the problem no matter the cost. It is worth noting that none of the other ponies besides Celestia and the Elements seemed to make any attempt to fight back and the guards are clearly trained for low-intensity police work rather than combat so the changelings really just had to look strange and herd the panicked ponies where they wanted them rather than actually fighting so this is not necessarily an example of hero power in action in light of what happened with Zecora at first, although the combat does have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Next, Chrysalis and the changelings clearly went out of their way to avoid hurting anyone even when it would have been smarter to do so. From imprisoning Cadence to the battle with the mane six, the changelings were very clearly careful to avoid even minor injuries which is simply unnecessary. If they were being efficient and ruthless, Cadence would have had a bunch of broken limbs to immobilize her and the girls would have visibly roughed up after the fight. They also avoided serious long term restraints on all the prisoners we saw including guards and Cadence even though we know they had the time to bag Celestia up good. Applying some logic to the situation, it is clear that if the changelings had been planning on putting all the ponies in a pod farm like some people here think, they would have crippled Cadence before putting her in the cave and bagged her up like Celestia after recapturing her. This excessive care and relative freedom strongly suggests a more peaceful long term plan behind the changeling's actions, probably resulting in the two eventually peacefully coexisting with Chrysalis in charge. This also makes far more logical sense than any kind of brutal regime or pod farm because the changelings depend on positive feelings to survive so they have to make the ponies feel good to be able to feed, and keeping ponies in a pod farm (assuming it is even possible) would be a logistical nightmare between growing enough food to feed them all without their own labor and the fact that ponies need to breed to be useful long term so it is hopelessly impractical.

As for Chrysalis personally, the fact that she was the one imitating Cadence and the issues with her performance says a lot about her as a character. She is clearly not the best infiltrator in a species that literally evolved to infiltrate so she is not the most logical choice for the role based on skill. However, because of the inability of the infiltrator to get reinforcements if they screw up and the possible ramifications of detection, that is the most dangerous role in the plan. When combined with the clearly established motive that it is her responsibility to find food for her subjects, that means Chrysalis most likely took the role on herself to avoid putting her subjects at risk. This means she most likely cares so deeply about her changelings that she is willing to risk her own life to protect them from harm which says a lot about her as a person no matter how abrasive she might be.

Moving on, the fact that there was an invasion at all says a lot about the bigger picture. As students of history, we both know full well that wars do not happen on a whim. War is always a last resort used when all peaceful alternatives have been exhausted, so the fact that there was an invasion very clearly says that Chrysalis believed she had no viable alternatives which has a number of very troubling implications, although fully working through it requires some effort.

Given the fact that changelings are perfectly evolved to slip into pony populations to feed undetected and that ponies on the whole seem to be very accepting of strange ponies, changelings should have no problem inventing a disguise and just walking into town to start a new life as a "pony" while they unobtrusively feed on their neighbors. This completely avoids the need to worry about maintaining a fake personality like Chrysalis had to because the ponies will not know the newcomer ahead of time so the changeling can just be him or her self and everything will be fine. The fact that the changelings had to invade for food clearly indicates that something happened to make this kind of low-profile feeding impossible. My best guess is that it was some kind of government identification system like American social security numbers, and while it would most likely have been completely innocent on the ponies part, it would have looked like a direct attack to the changelings because it would make this kind of infiltration nearly impossible. There are certainly a number of other possible explanations for why the changelings could not do this, some of which are quite brutal, but the point is that something must have happened to keep them from peacefully infiltrating Equestria because that would have eliminated the need for a risky invasion.

Regardless of what happened to keep them from infiltrating peacefully, the next step is diplomacy. The changelings must have either tried something to reach out to Equestria to find a diplomatic solution to the problem which failed or had something done to them which made them believe there was no hope for a diplomatic solution. My best guess is that they tried to set up a meeting with the officials of some little border town who freaked out and ran from the diplomatic party like they ran from Zecora and no amount of coaxing could get them to come out and then the process repeated in several more towns, but once again there are a lot of possible explanations including brutal options. Regardless, at this point the situation is that the changelings cannot infiltrate for food and they cannot negotiate for food, so their only options are to go to war or starve to death. That is really not a choice in any reasonable sense, so the changelings would have been forced to take military action to feed themselves, and their biggest advantage is stealth so it makes the most sense for them to open with a decapitating strike aimed at seizing control of the government and knocking out the key defenses before they can be brought to bear which brings us to the wedding.

Now, that should about cover the bulk of understanding why people sympathize with the changelings, although I do want to take a second to specifically hit the crazy racist homicidal ponies because there is a frustrating root cause to that bit of stupidity. Remember how I mentioned that something must have prevented the changelings from infiltrating peacefully and negotiating? You know how there is a subset of this fandom that clings to the idiotic idea that Celestia is some kind of evil tyrant despite the fact that that goes against everything we have ever seen of her in the show? Ok, good. Now think about what happens when you put the two together. Yeah, the result is evil tyrant Celestia hunting down and murdering the innocent changelings for no good reason, and it is painfully stupid. :facehoof:

Anyways, I hope you find this explanation useful because I respect you far more than most people on this site and hope I was able to clarify this for you regardless of what you chose to do in this story. Also, don't feel like you are wasting my time making me write a two thousand word comment (I checked), I'm going to be saving a link to this so I can point other people at it in the future to avoid wasting hours typing it out again. :twilightblush:

6587983
I appreciate the attempt to explain, but I disagree deeply with those interpretations.

Let's take the diplomacy example. Celestia, for starters, is a pony willing to give Discord a second chance. Discord. A being she was visibly fearful of when he escapes, one she put in stone the first time and helped put in stone the second time. A being who mind-raped individuals for his own, personal enjoyment, and she gave him a second chance. And somehow she, or the persons/ponies she picked for her diplomatic corps, would not give a foreign envoy a chance just based on their looks? The inference here is that all ponies are as panicky and reacted out of fear an rejected all attempts at diplomacy, despite the fact that they clearly have peaceable relations with the griffons (who haven't invaded themselves despite their clear economic troubles), dragons (they let a migration of thousands fly overhead), minotaurs, and possibly other aggressive, morphologically different races. Clearly ponies, or at least the ones in charge of foreign relations, are more than adept of handling such contacts and in fact as you said, would strive to avoid all-out war.

Secondly, there is the idea that something is preventing the changelings from infiltrating normally. This despite the fact that after a dramatic personality change no one even thought to apply any sort of test and/or concern over "Cadance" suddenly acting as if she were someone else. If anything can be inferred it is the fact that ponies were, until that point, unconcerned or unaware that any one could be replaced with a shapeshifter and assumed everything to be "nerves". This indicates that not only did the changelings not even attempt diplomatic contact, the ponies were completely unaware that they even existed at all, or at best not something they had to worry about. (Like, say, an Old Mare's Tale.) Which means how can there be measures implemented to verify identity when no one thinks such things would be necessary? A system like social security only applies to long-term habitation, visitors should have no problems unless we want to assume Equestria is a police state with checkpoints for papers at every entrance or exit to a town or city. Even in the US we do not ask for SSNs every day, and typically most keep our cards in fire safes because they're seldom needed unless applying for jobs. You don't need one to go into a shop and buy pastries or hang out at a bar or something.

As for keeping Cadance alive, well, when she dumped Twilight into those caverns, she appeared on those big crystals and taunted her. Even seem to lead her to Cadance while she was enraged. Twilight almost nails the crap out of Cadance, thinking she's Chrysalis. More than likely, it fed into her Ego to keep her victims alive, taunting them with visions of what she was doing in their place, and probably was hoping to sit back and enjoy the spectacle of watching Twilight beat the snot out of her actual old foalsitter. And then gloat afterwards when Twilight realized the truth. it certainly would fit into her screen personality, since she seems rather sadistic and gloaty.

As for keeping ponies alive, well, you don't kill your food source if you don't have to. There's nothing sympathetic or empathetic about that, especially when it looks like the 'lings are enjoying the terror they're inflicting on the ponies. A farmer doesn't beat his cows with a stick just because he can, and even if he does he is accused of animal cruelty; something that is regarded as a severe moral flaw in western culture. So why do changelings get a break for enjoying inflicting panic and fear on ponies?

And for Chrysalis, I agree that feeding her subjects is a reasonable and moral thing for her to do. But that only means she is just like ever other being in history in that regard. That does not make her special, that does not make her especially moral, or good. That makes her a being with a species survival instinct, just like every other thing that we consider alive. You might as well say she's doing something moral by respiring, or masticating. Technically it's true, but it's a red herring tossed out to obstruct the fact that she is assaulting another sapient species for what she and her changelings need instead of negotiating (which as I've established she could not have tried because Celestia is not a heartless tyrant, and ponies are more than capable of making peace with predatory races morphologically different from their own, and it's in all sides of a negotiation to try and avoid war unless one has entered in bad faith).

And war. As a student of history, you know that wars also happen because of giant, over-inflated egos or contrived reasons used as an excuse for international land grabs. I consider it far more likely, given the apparent lack of any form of diplomacy, that Chrysalis simply wanted power and used the excuse of "feeding her subjects" to validate her grandiose plans to conquer land she had no other claim on, otherwise.

As for the "weak from starvation" argument, I find that fallacious. A person who is starving is desperate, but in no shape for an invasion or other military operation. If they were truly that weak it would be in their better interests to surrender and beg for mercy, because once you are at the point where starvation is actively sapping your military's strength (since it stands to reason they would get more rations of "food" to ensure their combat effectiveness) to the point that you are beaten by untrained civilians, then you've lost already. Either Chrysalis doesn't know that, or doesn't care, and is willing to see her subjects suffer for her vainglory. Either way makes her a terrible leader and the latter a horrible person, which fits in to the rest of her character attributes shown on screen.

I propose an alternative explanation: Changelings are inherently inferior in strength and magic to ponies. This is why they have been quiet and hiding in the background, perhaps the reason they evolved or developed their shapeshifting abilities in the first place: as a survival mechanism. Why compete against a superior species when you can co-opt their strength by appearing to be one of them? This would go a long way to explain why changelings were unheard of before the invasion, why they got their butts whupped by girls, and why they enjoyed abusing their power of the ponies in the short time they had it (those who live as parasites usually come to resent those they depend on).

All in all, I go by what I've seen on the screen. Chrysalis is malicious and vile, downright evil, and her soldiers are sadists at best, war criminals at worst. I can accept the idea of good changelings, but from what I've seen there's plenty to use as bad guy material, and nothing other than that one changeling at Cranky and Matilda's wedding to indicate anything else.

I'm sorry, but this fandom is stuck up its own ass when it comes to changelings. I have some theories as to why, and it has nothing to do with the actual show itself. But that's neither here nor there, my point is that I am not with the fandom on this.

I do appreciate you trying to help. I understand you're trying to explain this all to me. But I don't see anything here that's changed my mind.



Also—and this is entirely unrelated to anything else, so please don't take this as any criticism of yourself or your arguments—but this has been bugging me for some time: It's "role". "Roll" is where something rotates, usually along a long axis, or a small, round bread product consumed at dinner. "Role" is a part or position in a story or social construct, such as an organization. Examples:

"Pass me another dinner roll, please?"
"She stepped into her role as a princess very well."

Like I said, it's just been bugging me and every time I see it I feel an urge to bang my head on the desk because everything else you write is very good and this thing is like watching a good orator talk with a piece of broccoli in his teeth. :twilightsheepish:

D48

6588205 No problem, just remember that changelings are shapeshifters which means appearances can very easily be deceiving so you have to do a lot of digging and thinking to work out what is really going on. Now let's get to it. :twilightsmile:

Let's take the diplomacy example. Celestia, for starters, is a pony willing to give Discord a second chance. Discord. A being she was visibly fearful of when he escapes, one she put in stone the first time and helped put in stone the second time. A being who mind-raped individuals for his own, personal enjoyment, and she gave him a second chance. And somehow she, or the persons/ponies she picked for her diplomatic corps, would not give a foreign envoy a chance just based on their looks? The inference here is that all ponies are as panicky and reacted out of fear an rejected all attempts at diplomacy, despite the fact that they clearly have peaceable relations with the griffons (who haven't invaded themselves despite their clear economic troubles), dragons (they let a migration of thousands fly overhead), minotaurs, and possibly other aggressive, morphologically different races. Clearly ponies, or at least the ones in charge of foreign relations, are more than adept of handling such contacts and in fact as you said, would strive to avoid all-out war.

You have some valid points here, but it is all based on the assumption that the changelings were aware of Equestria's willingness to negotiate and accept them. Perception is critical, and if they believe negotiation is impossible for some reason then it does not matter if Celestia would be open to negotiations because they will not show up. If some changelings had wandered into Ponyville out of the blue, they would have most likely been met with a similar reaction to Zecora from the common ponies and word would not have made it up to the diplomatic corps that they were needed so they would never have gotten involved. That leaves the changelings thinking there is no way they can negotiate with the ponies while Celestia is not aware they even exist so negotiations would not happen even though Celestia would undoubtedly be accepting of them.

In fact, given Celestia's proven willingness and unrivaled ability to negotiate peaceful relations with other races, I would say that the fact that there was an invasion at all is strong proof that she was not aware of their existence because she would have been able to reach a compromise with them if she had known about them so this entire paragraph ultimately contradicts itself. Something had to make the changelings believe they could not negotiate for a peaceful settlement in spite of Celestia's strong diplomatic history because we as the audience know she would have given them everything they wanted if they had come to the table. No leader ignores getting everything they want handed to them on a silver platter, so Chrysalis must have believed that negotiations were impossible for some reason or she would have taken the opportunity to get everything she wanted for free.

Another possibility I should mention is that there was some past conflict which made Chrysalis believe there was no negotiating with Celestia which is no longer true. This could be due to changes in Celestia and/or Chrysalis's personality over the centuries, some external circumstances which Chrysalis does not realize were as significant as they actually were, or a combination of the two. This does of course require a lot of backstory which is not alluded to in the show so it is more something that an author could do in a significantly expanded setting than a major possibility, although there is nothing stopping the writers from doing this in the show so it is not technically AU at the time of writing no matter how likely it is that something will happen to change that in the future.

Also, on an unrelated note, I am not entirely convinced they are really all that settled with the dragons. There have been multiple conflicts with dragons in the show after all, and the migration is really not the kind of thing you can stop without a major war so I get the feeling that is more the ponies staying out of the way and hoping the dragons do not make too big a mess than anything else (just imagine how much shit that many dragons bomb the migration rout with...and how hard it lands :twilightoops::rainbowlaugh:). Of course, that really does not affect your argument as a whole in any way, but I felt like I should point it out.

Secondly, there is the idea that something is preventing the changelings from infiltrating normally. This despite the fact that after a dramatic personality change no one even thought to apply any sort of test and/or concern over "Cadance" suddenly acting as if she were someone else. If anything can be inferred it is the fact that ponies were, until that point, unconcerned or unaware that any one could be replaced with a shapeshifter and assumed everything to be "nerves". This indicates that not only did the changelings not even attempt diplomatic contact, the ponies were completely unaware that they even existed at all, or at best not something they had to worry about. (Like, say, an Old Mare's Tale.) Which means how can there be measures implemented to verify identity when no one thinks such things would be necessary? A system like social security only applies to long-term habitation, visitors should have no problems unless we want to assume Equestria is a police state with checkpoints for papers at every entrance or exit to a town or city. Even in the US we do not ask for SSNs every day, and typically most keep our cards in fire safes because they're seldom needed unless applying for jobs. You don't need one to go into a shop and buy pastries or hang out at a bar or something.

That is exactly why this is a big puzzler and a critical piece of the setup for an invasion. The main way changelings would infiltrate is by inventing a disguise and moving into town with the ponies which is nearly undetectable and basically guaranteed to leave them set for life so there is no reason for them to do anything else unless something upsets their way of life. Frankly the only way I can see that failing at all is if there is some kind of impossible check they have to pass like the SSN, although that is still very much a concern even if you do not need it every day. After all, they will probably have trouble getting love on the first day so they will need to build a life for themselves among the ponies, and that means getting a job and some form of housing. If either one of those requires a proper government ID check for tax purposes like they do here, that will leave them totally screwed because they cannot create a life like they normally would to infiltrate. This could easily make them think that a system like our SSNs was specifically made to catch them and the tax processing explanation was a cover up even though it was implemented in good faith without knowledge of the changeling's existence.

As for keeping Cadance alive, well, when she dumped Twilight into those caverns, she appeared on those big crystals and taunted her. Even seem to lead her to Cadance while she was enraged. Twilight almost nails the crap out of Cadance, thinking she's Chrysalis. More than likely, it fed into her Ego to keep her victims alive, taunting them with visions of what she was doing in their place, and probably was hoping to sit back and enjoy the spectacle of watching Twilight beat the snot out of her actual old foalsitter. And then gloat afterwards when Twilight realized the truth. it certainly would fit into her screen personality, since she seems rather sadistic and gloaty.

That is possible, especially given how much trouble Twilight had just caused her, although I think Chrysalis was fully aware that Twilight would not kill Cadence no matter how angry she was. Yes that makes it a serious dick move and nasty personal revenge, but it is not wasteful and I have never once claimed Chrysalis was nice.

Of course, that is all irrelevant to my original point because when Chrysalis captured and locked up Cadence she would have had no way of knowing Twilight would be a problem like this. That means she decided not to hurt Cadence when there was no reason to believe she would want to use her for revenge later so my argument still applies. Chrysalis could have crippled Cadence to make escape impossible without ruining her source of food which would have been the ruthlessly pragmatic thing to do, but she chose to avoid hurting her even though that added risk to her plan.

As for keeping ponies alive, well, you don't kill your food source if you don't have to. There's nothing sympathetic or empathetic about that, especially when it looks like the 'lings are enjoying the terror they're inflicting on the ponies. A farmer doesn't beat his cows with a stick just because he can, and even if he does he is accused of animal cruelty; something that is regarded as a severe moral flaw in western culture. So why do changelings get a break for enjoying inflicting panic and fear on ponies?

Well, it sounds like we are firmly in agreement that the changelings did not hurt the ponies because doing so is stupid if nothing else.

As for scaring ponies, we have seen that pony instincts seem to strongly emphasize escape (or cowering in fear) over confrontation when confronted with something scary and flying changelings are presumably faster than running (non-Pinkie) ponies because flying is almost always faster than ground travel so that is also very pragmatic way to catch ponies with minimal risk. This is especially important given the poor fighting condition of the changelings as demonstrated against the mane six, so I am fairly certain that apparently sadistic behavior we saw was an act (something they should obviously be good at as a species) which they were trained to put on to intimidate ponies and avoid fights during the invasion. This is strongly supported by the fact that the changelings were so controlled because, when genuine, that kind of sadistic behavior among military forces is almost always connected with serious human rights abuses in the real world, yet the changelings were apparently very gentle with the mane six even after taking a serious pounding from them in the fight. Based on this extraordinary restraint, I think it is most likely that the changelings genuinely cared about not hurting ponies, although rock hard discipline is also a possible explanation because there have been real military units that showed that kind of discipline throughout history.

And war. As a student of history, you know that wars also happen because of giant, over-inflated egos or contrived reasons used as an excuse for international land grabs. I consider it far more likely, given the apparent lack of any form of diplomacy, that Chrysalis simply wanted power and used the excuse of "feeding her subjects" to validate her grandiose plans to conquer land she had no other claim on, otherwise.

Frankly, we both know that war is far more complicated than that. Just one look at the size of the wiki pages on the causes of World Wars I and II makes that much abundantly clear. Giant over-inflated egos and a desire for other countries stuff does not cause a war on its own, it just makes diplomacy harder because desires and egos are only a part of the larger diplomatic puzzle. You can work around egos and desires to come up with an acceptable solution in a lot of cases if you work at it, or you can at least get them to agree to do nothing significant rather than fighting. Actual war requires things to get to a point where one party cannot accept the existing situation like the mess the Treaty of Versailles made of Germany after World War I, so it could not have been nearly as simple as you claim.

If we assume you are right about Chrysalis wanting power in this particular case despite my previously presented clear evidence that she was more concerned about her subjects than herself, Celestia could have easily negotiated a solution where the changelings eventually become Equestrian citizens and Chrysalis becomes a co-ruler and everything would have worked out fine. Yes there would have been a lot of details that needed hammering out and some kind of integration period would have obviously been required to get the changelings processed, get the ponies used to them, and teach Chrysalis about how the government works, but that is just details. Chrysalis gets the food and power she wants, Celestia gets the peace she wants, and everyone leaves happy.

As for the "weak from starvation" argument, I find that fallacious. A person who is starving is desperate, but in no shape for an invasion or other military operation. If they were truly that weak it would be in their better interests to surrender and beg for mercy, because once you are at the point where starvation is actively sapping your military's strength (since it stands to reason they would get more rations of "food" to ensure their combat effectiveness) to the point that you are beaten by untrained civilians, then you've lost already. Either Chrysalis doesn't know that, or doesn't care, and is willing to see her subjects suffer for her vainglory. Either way makes her a terrible leader and the latter a horrible person, which fits in to the rest of her character attributes shown on screen.

I propose an alternative explanation: Changelings are inherently inferior in strength and magic to ponies. This is why they have been quiet and hiding in the background, perhaps the reason they evolved or developed their shapeshifting abilities in the first place: as a survival mechanism. Why compete against a superior species when you can co-opt their strength by appearing to be one of them? This would go a long way to explain why changelings were unheard of before the invasion, why they got their butts whupped by girls, and why they enjoyed abusing their power of the ponies in the short time they had it (those who live as parasites usually come to resent those they depend on).

That is certainly a possible explanation for why they performed so badly in the fight, although it does not do enough to explain what we saw. Animal strength is usually fairly proportional to size so there should not be a major difference between healthy changelings and ponies, but malnutrition is very capable of weakening creatures to significantly below where they should be. That said, starvation does have some obvious problems as you pointed out so I think it is more likely that it is a combination of the two along with a doctrine of not hurting ponies if at all possible because that is the only way you are going to get a major performance hit like that in any kind of realistic scenario.

All in all, I go by what I've seen on the screen. Chrysalis is malicious and vile, downright evil, and her soldiers are sadists at best, war criminals at worst. I can accept the idea of good changelings, but from what I've seen there's plenty to use as bad guy material, and nothing other than that one changeling at Cranky and Matilda's wedding to indicate anything else.

I can easily demonstrate how you are letting emotions cloud your judgement here. Based on the Merriam-Webster website, the definitions of the words you used to describe Chrysalis are:

Malicious:
having or showing a desire to cause harm to someone : given to, marked by, or arising from malice <malicious gossip>

Vile:
1
a : morally despicable or abhorrent <nothing is so vile as intellectual dishonesty>
b : physically repulsive : foul <a vile slum>
2: of little worth or account : common; also : mean
3: tending to degrade <vile employments>
4: disgustingly or utterly bad : obnoxious, contemptible <vile weather> <had a vile temper>

Evil:
1
a : morally reprehensible : sinful, wicked <an evil impulse>
b : arising from actual or imputed bad character or conduct <a person of evil reputation>
2
a archaic : inferior
b : causing discomfort or repulsion : offensive <an evil odor>
c : disagreeable <woke late and in an evil temper>
3
a : causing harm : pernicious <the evil institution of slavery>
b : marked by misfortune : unlucky

Note how similar all those definitions are and how little actual information they give about her as a character. What you have done here is pick several synonyms for "she's a bitch" (thesaurus.com lists both malicious and vile as close synonyms of evil) and presented them as if they are all there is to her character without deeper analysis. You are treating superficial appearances as unquestionable truth for a race of shapeshifters. Creating a deceptive appearance is quite literally their greatest strength. That should be a very clear sign that there is more going on than meets the eye at first glance and get you thinking about piecing together clues using logic to figure out what is really going on, yet you saw them snarling at ponies and decided that "evil" is all there is to them.

Also—and this is entirely unrelated to anything else, so please don't take this as any criticism of yourself or your arguments—but this has been bugging me for some time: It's "role". "Roll" is where something rotates, usually along a long axis, or a small, round bread product consumed at dinner. "Role" is a part or position in a story or social construct, such as an organization. Examples:

"Pass me another dinner roll, please?"

"She stepped into her role as a princess very well."

Like I said, it's just been bugging me and every time I see it I feel an urge to bang my head on the desk because everything else you write is very good and this thing is like watching a good orator talk with a piece of broccoli in his teeth. :twilightsheepish:

Yeah, I know. It's just that I don't give my comments more than a basic editing pass for total grammatical catastrophes and things that get flagged by spellcheck so things like that slip by me sometimes. :facehoof: Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to fix it because that is just embarrassing. :derpytongue2:

Holly walls of text batman! We're in a forum!

Rokas #17 · Nov 8th, 2015 · · 2 ·

6595302 Le sigh

Perception is critical, and if they believe negotiation is impossible for some reason then it does not matter if Celestia would be open to negotiations because they will not show up. If some changelings had wandered into Ponyville out of the blue, they would have most likely been met with a similar reaction to Zecora from the common ponies and word would not have made it up to the diplomatic corps that they were needed so they would never have gotten involved. That leaves the changelings thinking there is no way they can negotiate with the ponies while Celestia is not aware they even exist so negotiations would not happen even though Celestia would undoubtedly be accepting of them.

Gee, it's a pity that a race of shapeshifters can't, yanno, change their appearance long enough to get the ponies over their prey instincts and get the ball rolling. I'm sorry, but this is explaining after the fact and does not dismiss nor discredit the idea that diplomacy was not attempted.

No leader ignores getting everything they want handed to them on a silver platter, so Chrysalis must have believed that negotiations were impossible for some reason or she would have taken the opportunity to get everything she wanted for free.

Unless Chrysalis is not, in fact a good leader and is, in fact, greedy, power-hungry, and manipulative. You are making a strawman argument in favor of Chrysalis and the rest of the changeling leadership (if any) being sane, rational, or genuinely concerned for their subjects beyond the minimum necessary to maintain a power base.

That is exactly why this is a big puzzler and a critical piece of the setup for an invasion. The main way changelings would infiltrate is by inventing a disguise and moving into town with the ponies which is nearly undetectable and basically guaranteed to leave them set for life so there is no reason for them to do anything else unless something upsets their way of life.

This is a massive assumption that the changelings are not, in fact, just taking the place of extant ponies and siphoning love/affection/whatever from impersonation rather than building a life in pony territory. In fact, that has never once been shown in the show canon; changelings living hidden lives within pony society is something that has only appeared in Fanfiction, and so making the assumption that this is their modis operandi is no more justified than assuming they steal children and replace them.

Actually, that could be very much what they do. That is, in fact, what the actual changeling myth from the real world says. That would also give them a chance to have collectors who are fully integrated into pony society, complete with any theoretical ID numbers and papers. This would probably be preferable to invasion and open conflict, and in fact would probably give them an ability to get deep cover agents into places to further create corruption in the government and make more SSN-like IDs for more infiltrators. Why wouldn't they do this instead? I suppose you could argue "oh but that would mean replacing children and the changelings are ever so nice and wouldn't do that", but I suggest "it's because Chrysalis lacks the patience to pull it off or needs to feed her enormous ego".

Regardless, this is a moot point. There is nothing to suggest that ponies even HAVE a national ID system, or that the changelings had any trouble infiltrating society. The fact that Chrysalis replaced a freaking princess and then did such a horrible job of impersonating her that she clearly was acting completely out of character and yet was never investigated or called out on it shows that if anything, pony society is ridiculously porous, and in fact has no concerns over locating magical impostors at all. The argument here is the ponies MUST have had something because the changelings would not have invaded without one. This is unsubstantiated, and frankly is wishful thinking on the part of the changeling apologist. It's basically an argument from fallacy: "if changelings invaded, and changelings feed on love, then changelings must not have been able to get love!" No, it does not follow automatically.

Of course, that is all irrelevant to my original point because when Chrysalis captured and locked up Cadence she would have had no way of knowing Twilight would be a problem like this.

No but there is always "thinking on your feet" and being able to proverbially kill two birds with one stone certainly would have been appealing.

And as for not crippling Cadance, there's no reason to assume this was a deliberate oversight that proves Chrysalis has any sort of good in her. Crippling Cadance could cause infections and complications that could threaten her life, which Chrysalis would want to preserve at least until the wedding should she need to interrogate Cadance for personal information she may need to help keep up the charade. Plus, Cadance is yet another pony to suck the love out of and why not keep as much food around as you can? It's possible Chrysalis spared Cadance so because she's a hoarder.

Again, neither one of us can prove anything, but it does not support the fan interpretation you are arguing here.

Frankly, we both know that war is far more complicated than that. Just one look at the size of the wiki pages on the causes of World Wars I and II makes that much abundantly clear. Giant over-inflated egos and a desire for other countries stuff does not cause a war on its own, it just makes diplomacy harder because desires and egos are only a part of the larger diplomatic puzzle. You can work around egos and desires to come up with an acceptable solution in a lot of cases if you work at it, or you can at least get them to agree to do nothing significant rather than fighting. Actual war requires things to get to a point where one party cannot accept the existing situation like the mess the Treaty of Versailles made of Germany after World War I, so it could not have been nearly as simple as you claim.

Those are conditions, not causes. The actual causes of war are decisions made by individuals in power. Thus war is very much caused by the decisions of individuals, and there is where the egos and greed come into play. Everything else is window dressing. Furthermore, warfare is not always an organized declaration between two polities, but an open conflict between two poles of power. Chrysalis reminds me more of an African warlord than an actual monarch, and if you expect me to believe one of those is really misunderstood and only waging genocidal conflicts with child soldiers because they want what's best for their "subjects" then you have got to stop drinking the kool-aid.

But aside from that, nothing you have presented shows that Chrysalis in fact did not unilaterally decide that conquest was preferable to negotiation. Nor have you shown that this decision was based off of anything but her own greed and/or ego. Changeling apologists can invent all the theories they want, and so can I. But when it comes down to it, it's what we saw on screen that is verifiable, and that paints her as a power-hungry leader.

If we assume you are right about Chrysalis wanting power in this particular case despite my previously presented clear evidence that she was more concerned about her subjects than herself,...

Wrong. You did not present any clear evidence about her alleged care for her subjects. The only evidence you have is she considered it her "duty" to feed them, which as I've noted is nothing especially moral or even altruistic. All leaders must see to the basic needs of their peoples, otherwise they do not remain leaders. The waning years of the Western Roman Empire were filled with emperors whose reigns were dramatically cut short due to mutinies because they could not keep the armies paid (and thus fed and their families taken care of). That Chrysalis considered it a duty to feed her subjects is only proof that she understands that those needs have to be met. Whether she does it out of care for her subjects or just her own neck is unknown, but it not proven. Everything else is nothing more than inference from the assumption that "Chrysalis is not evil/bad". This is once again a strawman argument, as there is nothing in the show that gives any indication of this. It is only the wishful thinking of fans that has come to the conclusion that Chrysalis and even the changelings at large are only misunderstood or somehow the victims.

There is no proof. You have not proved a single thing other than that changeling apologists are willing to go to extreme mental gymnastics to excuse their favored species for its actions. This is like slavery apologists saying "well the blacks are better off over here than in Africa anyway". You don't know that, you can't prove that, and it comes off as an attempt to ignore the real issue.

Celestia could have easily negotiated a solution where the changelings eventually become Equestrian citizens and Chrysalis becomes a co-ruler and everything would have worked out fine.

What? Just... what? Chrysalis a co-ruler? On what grounds? She has no claim to the land, no claim to the ponies, and yet should be made to rule over them? Even with the counter-balance of two other princesses this gives a formerly unknown leader remarkable power and control over a population that never wanted her and certainly doesn't know her. Civil wars have started over less.

But putting that fanfiction scenario aside, this assumes two things:
1. That Chrysalis has room in her heart for anyone but herself, which is unproven and certainly contrary to the character that has actually been shown.
2. That Celestia would be willing to hand over significant political power over her subjects to a foreign ruler who, regardless of whether or not cares deeply for her own changelings, has no emotional, moral, or even species bond with the ponies. This is something no polity would ever accept without direct, overt force from another polity with a significant and massive power imbalance stacked against the first party.

Basically, for this to happen the changelings would have had massive political and/or military power over Equestria to force the issue. The fact that they were unknown (or at most folk tales) up to that point means no political pressure, so they would have had to have used military pressure only, and as a student of history I'm sure you know how poorly that turns out for both sides.

Which is completely unimportant as the changelings simply skipped Step 2: ??? and went straight for Step 3: Profit! Invasion!

Yes there would have been a lot of details that needed hammering out and some kind of integration period would have obviously been required to get the changelings processed, get the ponies used to them, and teach Chrysalis about how the government works, but that is just details. Chrysalis gets the food and power she wants, Celestia gets the peace she wants, and everyone leaves happy.

Except the ponies who would, in fact, not want to be ruled over by a foreign power at all (oh, I'm sure they will be "re-educated", am I right?). Or even ALL the ponies should it turn out that Chrysalis is a terrible, egomaniacal power-hungry ruler that this theoretical Celestia just invited in and shared power with. Again, this assumes that Chrysalis is not, in fact, as terrible as she has appeared in the show, and relies entirely on a fan interpretation that does not mesh with canon.

I can easily demonstrate how you are letting emotions cloud your judgement here.

Like every fan who wants to pretend that Chrysalis isn't, in fact, malevolent. They want their draco in leather pants so bad they're willing to invent entire backstories to excuse what is basically the Rape of Nanking in kid-friendly pony format.

You are treating superficial appearances as unquestionable truth for a race of shapeshifters. Creating a deceptive appearance is quite literally their greatest strength.

Did you not notice the part where, when Chrysalis was revealed by the real Cadance, she dropped her disguise and pretenses? That was a thematical moment, her revealing her true self and motivations. From that point on, there was no deception, there was only open warfare and conflict. That was the whole bloody point of the reveal. She was shown to be not concerned or caring at all, but power-hungry and a desire to conquer. I am analyzing her exactly how she is portrayed, how her character acted when the chips were down and the deceptions were taken away. OF COURSE I'm going to go by that, that's the point of that part of the story.

That was the whole theme of the changelings. That they're dishonest, deceitful, and when the truth is revealed they attack instead of explain or negotiate. That was the whole point. The gorram framework the story was hung around. To interpret it any other way is intellectually dishonest (ironically enough).

That should be a very clear sign that there is more going on than meets the eye at first glance and get you thinking about piecing together clues using logic to figure out what is really going on, yet you saw them snarling at ponies and decided that "evil" is all there is to them.

I notice how you don't even try to excuse those actions, you just try and hand-wave them away. "Oh, that's not what's really happening. What you see on the screen is not what's really happening." Because there is no excuse for that behavior.

You have not convinced me of anything, other than changeling apologists are arguing out of thin air when it comes to their favored bad guys. And they ARE bad guys. The Internet has this weird fascination with making bad guys into good guys and vice-versa (Tyrantlestia comes to mind), and this is just another example I suppose.

Also, I am done with this. I have not seen anything that convinces me that Chrysalis and many, if not most changelings, are asshats and malevolent. I do not mind the interpretations otherwise—a quick check of my account favorites will show that. But nothing, and I mean nothing, has persuaded me to NOT portray changelings in general and Chrysalis specifically as bad guys without any redeeming qualities.

So I will do so if I so choose.

What was up with this chapter? Here we were all excited for a new chapter of Brouhaha and then half way through the awesomeness ended and we get...something out of Stargate? Or maybe Doctor Who?
:rainbowhuh:
Um. I think I might check back on the next update but, with the way the plot is changing I'm not too sure.

First half was awesome though. 10/10 for everything before the other Changelings showed up.

D48

6613721 I will not respond to the the bulk of this because you have completely ignored my logical arguments and contradict yourself in several areas with things like claiming Chrysalis is totally insane, evil, and irrational and then ascribing logic to her goal of feeding. If you want to attempt to disprove my arguments I am happy to debate the subject, but you need to demonstrate weaknesses in the assumption chain or alternative explanations for your arguments to be viable. All you did is say that you think Chrysalis and the changelings as a species are bad a bunch with no attempt to explain why my analysis to the contrary is incorrect which is an emotional response, not a logical position.

Also, you really need to look at the definition of a straw man argument because you are horribly misusing the term here. What I am doing is inductive reasoning to draw larger conclusions from the limited data we have available. Here are two helpful links on the subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductive_reasoning

Now, I will move on to the one logical counterargument you had.

This is a massive assumption that the changelings are not, in fact, just taking the place of extant ponies and siphoning love/affection/whatever from impersonation rather than building a life in pony territory. In fact, that has never once been shown in the show canon; changelings living hidden lives within pony society is something that has only appeared in Fanfiction, and so making the assumption that this is their modis operandi is no more justified than assuming they steal children and replace them.

Actually, that could be very much what they do. That is, in fact, what the actual changeling myth from the real world says. That would also give them a chance to have collectors who are fully integrated into pony society, complete with any theoretical ID numbers and papers. This would probably be preferable to invasion and open conflict, and in fact would probably give them an ability to get deep cover agents into places to further create corruption in the government and make more SSN-like IDs for more infiltrators. Why wouldn't they do this instead? I suppose you could argue "oh but that would mean replacing children and the changelings are ever so nice and wouldn't do that", but I suggest "it's because Chrysalis lacks the patience to pull it off or needs to feed her enormous ego".

First, as I already explained, Chrysalis's trouble impersonating Cadence is a clear demonstration of why changelings cannot easily replace adult ponies so that cannot possibly be their primary method of infiltration. Yes she may have gotten away with it for a short time, but the wedding gave her an easy excuse for her behavior and Twilight was still able to see through the disguise without knowing changelings even existed so it is clearly not viable on a large scale and cannot be their primary method of feeding.

Now, you do bring up a real possibility with replacing ponies at birth, but that relies on several assumptions which strike me as somewhat flimsy and has no clear basis in canon just like my suggestion. This will take a bit of time to go through because there are actually two possibilities depending on if the planted changeling is a child or an adult, but I think it is absolutely worth taking the time to go through both in detail.

First I will go through the logic of planting a young changeling because that fits more closely with the folklore. While this does avoid a number of serious problems with using an adult, there is still a critical flaw to the system. If a baby changeling is planted in a pony family and raised as a pony, that changeling will be a pony culturally and will have no reason to ever return to the changelings assuming s/he is even aware that s/he is not a pony, something that is rather unlikely when the changeling looks just like a pony. This means that while that individual could effectively infiltrate and survive using this method, the effect on the changelings as a species will be the same as if the child died because he or she will never return home to reproduce or contribute to the survival of the species in any way. Furthermore, even if the planted changeling child did somehow wind up coming back, because s/he is culturally a pony, s/he would have clear knowledge of what Celestia is like which would make the invasion impossible. Just to make this even more thoroughly dead, when a planted child figures out what they really are, their most likely course of action is go to their parents and ask about it (assuming they do not find out by accidentally dropping their disguise in front of them or in public) which will blow any sense of stealth completely out the window. This clearly makes this solution non-viable on a large scale without some very questionable assumptions to hand wave the problem away, although it could be used to acquire a starter population of impressionable young ponies they could raise as changelings for infinite free food. Of course, they could also abduct or adopt foals with temporary disguises much more easily and with much less risk so this is still not a good idea even if you assume they want to acquire a friendly pony population.

Moving on, the other possible interpretation is to plant adults or older children who would already know what was going on and would thus avoid the cultural assimilation problem, but that opens up a bunch of its own problems. The first is the obvious size difference between an adult changeling and a foal which could cause problems for the disguise depending on how much you like things like conservation of mass, although there is certainly nothing to say that magic can't override that given all the dumb shit Twilight has done so this is more something to be aware of than a serious problem. The next big problem actually circles back to the problems Chrysalis had while infiltrating because the changeling has to pretend to be a child (which is far harder than it sounds) and also has to deal with all the growing up and learning children do including the distinctly pony problem of making up a Cutie Mark and figuring out when to make it appear. Just imagine how frustrating going through childhood again would be and you will get a good idea of how hard this would be to deal with. Also, having the changeling pretend to be a child is going to be a serious problem for love return because children are always closely watched so you will basically loose the entire childhood for collection. That seriously reduces the total return from each individual and creates a very long return gap which are huge resource management problems. It also means those changelings will have no opportunity to reproduce until they are at least 30 years old (probably older) and nearing the end of their reproductive life cycle (assuming ponies and changelings both have human-like life cycles, or alternatively scaling things proportionally if they are similar to each other but not humans), but they cannot even really do that because that is when they are just starting their collection careers and you need them in the field rather than back home working and making babies. This will almost certainly result in serious population problems because a huge chunk of the population will need to be out to collect love which will make breeding impossible so it is really not a viable solution either.

Also, the concern over government IDs (if they exist at all, there are lots of other possible motivators besides the one I threw out offhand) would be a very new thing from a culture and evolution standpoint so that is really not something that would be factored into their traditional infiltration practices. Yes they could certainly attempt to make changes to accommodate for it which might result in one of these practices if possible, but that upset could easily cause serious damage and force drastic action before they can make adjustments to their infiltration techniques or infiltrate the office to create fake records for themselves.

What? Just... what? Chrysalis a co-ruler? On what grounds? She has no claim to the land, no claim to the ponies, and yet should be made to rule over them?

Since you asked, this is what a merger of governments does and it has happened plenty of times in the real world even if it is not super common. The United States is probably the most famous example with 13 independent political entities merging into one at a cost in individual autonomy, and the European Union could become another eventually. I will not speculate on the details because that depends heavily on details that we do not have from the show, but these mergers usually depend on building trust and merging the nations which both take time so it would not be Celestia or Chrysalis just handing over control, they would work together to build mutual trust and respect over an extended period of time which could easily be centuries given Celestia's age. It is also important to note that there are usually ways for the parties to back out if they do not like the way things are going (we are seeing some talk of that with the EU now) so it is something they can try and abort if it proves impossible.

Also, Celestia clearly has no problem with a number of other species living in Equestria as shown by the mules, cows, griffons, minotaurs, goats, and others we have seen, and changelings have a number of obvious advantages in areas like intelligence, entertainment, and fashion so bringing them in has some obvious advantages beyond the normal advantages you get from a multicultural workforce.

Him!? Dear gods, all of Tamb Tartarus is going to break loose, isn't it?

Also, regarding the ongoing argument about good/evil Chyssie: neither of you can be right until we have a decent canon back-story. She could certainly be the cliche evil overlord type, trying to rule Equestria with an iron cheese-hoof. Or she could be a desperate, socially inept single-mom-equivilant trying to feed all over her children the only way she can imagine. However, I will say the "couldn't negotiate" example D48 provided is a cop-out. If Chryssie had attempted to negotiate, a Ponyville-esque panic would not be enough to jump straight to war. The times where the failed diplomacy story was believable where the ones like the story that had a Diplomatic Envoy to be sent to Dodge City only for their corpses to be strung from the gates. A violent response to diplomacy makes more sense in causing the idea to be abandoned.
However, Rokas, you are trying to ignore the possibility that the image the changelings gave off during the wedding arc was indeed an act, a sort of show of force to cow the ponies into surrendering without losses. The fact that six untrained mares called that bluff to rather disturbing effect means that the changelings would not have made it as far as they did if the ponies weren't to scared to fight back.
Personally, I prefer the Tsundere Chrysalis characterization, were she is simply too proud to ask her food for help. It leaves her as a definite antagonist to start with, but allows for redemption later on.

D48

Hm, I think I just realized a big part of why the sudden big bad felt so strange in this story. Despite what you said here, you usually don't have big bads, and the only one you do have is from the BattleTech universe in Falling Stars. Every other story you have is purely character driven, and even in Falling Stars nothing sticks out because it is perfectly character driven from the much darker BT side. That kind of cynicism, violence, and greed is fairly normal in BT so it makes sense for the pirates to behave that way, especially because people in BT would know that they are fully willing and able to follow through with their threats so the actual damage would be much less there. Chrysalis also comes across as an opportunist who sees the obvious problems of direct battle with the invaders and comes up with what she sees as a better plan (although I think she does underestimate their willingness to resort to force due to lack of context) which also puts her ahead, but she is most definitely working towards a sensible goal in a logical manner rather than doing things for the evulz.

Going through your other running stories, we have The Aegis which is driven purely by your characters and, to a lesser extent, the flow of canon with the closest thing to a big bad being Celestia's obstructionism which we all know is to protect Luna and give Twilight the time she needs to get the Elements working. Next in the list is And So (which is questionable to count given its nature) which is purely a mess of character shenanigans and lazy wish fulfillment with no antagonist in sight. Last we have ASMD which is another pure character piece with the only antagonists being sports rivals rather than a serious threat, although that antagonism is definitely being played up in-universe to boost TV ratings which makes it seem a bit more important than the relatively trivial rivalry it is.

Anyways, you can reply or not as you wish. I will not promise to respond because I am mostly writing this to get that realization off my chest, although I will at least read any response you write.

6960991 This comment makes me feel weird. In the way of "someone was actually thinking about my stories when not reading them?" sort of way. Also not sure if you mean this as a criticism (not saying that's a bad thing—hate to have to specify but my track record lately needs it) about either this story or the others. I'm not sure whether the lack of a trope-standard big bad is a bad thing or not.

Anyway, I do try to concentrate more on characters driving the story because one fanfic I wrote some years ago (another BattleTech one, no crossover but a lot of stuff that I cringe at now) was criticized for being "campy" because the bad guys were just bad guys for being bad guys. Also Word of Blake, because **** the Word of Blake. **** them and their BS. I just wanted to have them stomped on SO HARD.

But every once in a while I just want to write a comic-book style story, like in a steampunk AU where Theodore Roosevelt does battle with Nikola Tesla. Or where aliens harvest our precious bodily fluids to bottle and sell them as a health drink in their star system. Or where undead space vikings do battle with moon monkeys made out of nanobot dust at the behest of alien space squids who run waffle restaurants. That's sort of what Brouhaha was going to turn out to be, after I realized I had no real idea where the story was supposed to go after the first two chapters because I was making it up as I went along. So I turned it into comic book story. And people didn't really like it, so I'm probably not going to continue it.

Also, "lazy wish fulfillment"? I'll have you know I work darn hard writing that stupid, selfish, nebbish wish fulfillment! ;p

D48

6963353

This comment makes me feel weird. In the way of "someone was actually thinking about my stories when not reading them?" sort of way.

To be perfectly fair, I was letting my mind wander in the shower so a bit of an odd tangent is to be expected. Also, it was more thinking about you than the story because this is more a trend with you as an author than a specific story.

Also not sure if you mean this as a criticism (not saying that's a bad thing—hate to have to specify but my track record lately needs it) about either this story or the others. I'm not sure whether the lack of a trope-standard big bad is a bad thing or not.

It was honestly more of a neutral observation than anything else, although I guess you could view that specific comment as a criticism of your earlier comment (which I am feeling far too lazy to find) because you said you do something which is contradicted by the published evidence of what you actually do.

That said, it does refer back to my earlier criticism of this story which you changed an excellent character-driven piece that really didn't need anything to carry it to greatness into a fairly generic adventure.

But every once in a while I just want to write a comic-book style story, like in a steampunk AU where Theodore Roosevelt does battle with Nikola Tesla. Or where aliens harvest our precious bodily fluids to bottle and sell them as a health drink in their star system. Or where undead space vikings do battle with moon monkeys made out of nanobot dust at the behest of alien space squids who run waffle restaurants. That's sort of what Brouhaha was going to turn out to be, after I realized I had no real idea where the story was supposed to go after the first two chapters because I was making it up as I went along. So I turned it into comic book story. And people didn't really like it, so I'm probably not going to continue it.

Huh, you do see my core complaint. You had a great slice of life setup and then tried to shove something else into it instead of letting it play out like it was set up to do. There is absolutely room for a ridiculous comic-book style story, but you have to be clear on what you are doing from the start for it to really work because they really rely on wacky presentations to set the mood for the rest of the insanity.

If you wanted to take this idea in that direction, Twilight would have needed to go full mad scientist the instant the unlucky changeling dropped into her life. Things would have then spiraled more and more out of control in increasingly insane ways with tropes cranked up far beyond over the top for comedic effect, and it all would have finished with an insane over the top finale to leave the readers wondering what the hell they just read and why they can't stop laughing.

What you actually did was set up a nice, lighthearted slice of life fic which should have run its course with purely social comedy like the first section did with escalation coming from things like Bon Bon's cover being blown by her blockheaded friend rather than external action. Both the conflict and the resolution would have been entirely interpersonal and everything would have more or less worked out at the end of the day. Life would have gone on more or less like it did before, just with 100% more changelings.

Also, "lazy wish fulfillment"? I'll have you know I work darn hard writing that stupid, selfish, nebbish wish fulfillment! ;p

What can I say, I call it like you call it. :rainbowlaugh:

6963353
Wait, you don't mean that you're not going to continue this fic, do you? I was really looking forward to seeing how things played out.

6968387 Probably not. It would require a large amount of rewriting since no one likes it in its current state, and I just don't have the enthusiasm to continue it. I'm still debating whether or not to label this cancelled, but I'm trying to hold off until I have some other stories updated first before I make that decision.

If it makes a difference, I think it is just fine as it is. Especially if you are bringing in the villain that I think you are.

Well, I for one loved this story, and I can't wait to see more. D48 might have had problems with it, but I didn't and judging by that like counter other people were lacking for problems too. For someone who wanted to see more of the Lyra from In Media Res this was a fantastic entry into that little series. If nothing else it made someone who is dead tired gain new energy to read it until nearly two in the morning. :applejackconfused:

So, in other words: please do not despair, don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch. :applecry:

I'm loving this story! Can't wait to see more!

“Explorer of the unusual, the bizarre, and the downright weird.”
They really ARE different.

This was great. I love the total insanity and the Monty Python bit. I've never seen THAT ending before, though. Some interesting things are about to happen, I see.

Lyra is an interesting choice for the person who knows what's going on. Normally it's Pinkie or Bon Bon (as a spy), so this is fascinating. I guess it makes sense looking back, since she's often depicted as fascinated with alternate realities and/or history.

Okay, why are they all canceled? Argh!

Login or register to comment