• Published 10th Aug 2015
  • 2,890 Views, 40 Comments

Chaos at Mach 20 - KGB-Agent9347



Discord feels Equestria has become too peaceful. He enlists a certain octopus teacher. Minor chaos ensues. Nurufufufu...

  • ...
8
 40
 2,890

Daring Time

A cloud of mosquitos swarmed Daring Do as she trekked through the underbrush. The mosquitos’ incessant buzz drowned out the jungle’s natural soundtrack. Sporadic bites at her neck and flank slowly eroded her patience, but her pace never slowed.

Can’t stop. I’ll be eaten alive if I do.

She gritted her teeth and soldiered on, hacking through the low-hanging vines with her machete.

Thirty minutes later, Daring found herself staring at a row of scarred trees.

Her eye twitched. “I’ve been walking in circles this whole time?!”

She hurled her machete at the ground.

“RAARGH! Of all the places, it had to be Cochuah! The only place in Mexicolt nopony ever bothered to map!” Her lungs burned from the muggy air, legs trembling under the growing weight of her saddlebags. She hastily unhooked her canteen and took a swig, only to feel a dribble hit her tongue.

The specter of unease loomed large as sweat dripped off her mane. No map, no compass, no water, and only a few hours of daylight.

A wry smile played across her face. “I’ll make it through this,” she muttered, “I always do…”

Daring’s ears perked up as a familiar sound pierced through the mosquitos’ buzz. The sound was faint, but unmistakable.



Fire.



Scanning the area, her eyes settled on a swathe of trees, shrouded in smoke. She smiled. Fire meant other ponies, and other ponies just might mean clean drinking water. That glimmer of hope was soon extinguished as she recalled past adventures. She grimaced, sheathing her machete before setting off.

“It’s not like I have any other options,” she grumbled.

Burning through her last reserves of strength, Daring broke free from the jungle’s suffocating grip and stumbled out of the underbrush. She gasped, fresh air rushing into her lungs for the first time since the morning. Her legs trembled. Each breath sent shudders throughout her body. With the evening sun peering over the canopy, Daring shielded her bleary eyes and looked for signs of life.

All that greeted her was a lonely bonfire. Reality, it seems, was a harsh mistress.
It lay in center of the clearing, ringed by limestone blocks. An iron trivet held a cauldron above a roaring flame. A foot from the fire, a canvas backpack sat atop a pair of logs. Various tools and vessels were scattered nearby, but Daring lacked the strength to care. None of those could solve the issue of her worsening dehydration.

As she struggled to think of her next move, a glint drew her gaze to the wooden bucket. A closer look revealed its contents shimmering in the meager sunlight.

Water…

She staggered forward, her body swaying with each step. Her forelegs gave way, just inches from the bucket. Too late. She gasped with the last bit of exertion.

The world slowly grew faint. Daring sighed and gazed up to the orange-tinged sky. The clouds drifted by as darkness closed in.

Daring Do’s final adventure will be one that Equestria never gets to read.The rustling of foliage snapped her back to reality. A figure slowly emerged from the treeline, its features obscured the shade, but its form totally un-equine.

“Hello there,” it said, “I wasn’t expecting to any visitors out here. You must’ve come a long way.”

Loud squelching rang out as it swept over the grass. Delirium gave way to panic as Daring’s heart threatened to beat out of her chest. Something was approaching her, and she had no recourse. All she could do was wait.

Once it had moved close enough to block out the sun, Daring was granted her first look at the creature. Her brain promptly short-circuited.

She propped up her body and blinked, unable to trust her eyes. However, the image neither changed nor faded. The creature just stood there to Daring’s utter bewilderment. A yellow octopus… wearing a pith helmet and khaki explorer garb. Yeah, I guess that makes sense.

As the mental haze dissipated, Daring struggled to rationalize what her eyes were seeing. Cryptids were nothing new. Years of exploring the outer wilds had pitted her against numerous creatures long thought to be fabrications of myth, her nemesis Ahuizotl chief among them. At this point in her adventuring career, Daring believed nothing could surprise her anymore.

This octopus proved her wrong. No matter how much she gaped, her brain refused to accept it. Nothing about the creature matched anything that she had studied. No legends. No artwork. Not even a clay figure. A foal’s drawing at the Baltimare Aquarium offered the closest parallel but that only raised further questions.

The octopus cocked his head, oblivious to her furious cerebrations. “Are you feeling alright?”



Daring blinked then met his gaze. “Just a little dehydrated,” she tried to say, but all that came out was a plaintive murmur.

“In that case,” - the octopus vanished for a second then reappeared in front her with a tin cup - “drink up.” Evidently, he understood anyway.

Daring snatched the cup and gulped down its soothing liquid without hesitation. Any reservations that she would have in other situations was smashed by her need for water. As relief coursed through her limbs, she once again glanced up at the octopus.

Well, he’s still there. Guess that rules out hallucination.

He loomed over her, smiling with an expectant look.

Seems friendly enough.

Daring sighed and dragged her body onto the log. “Do you mind if rest here for a bit? I normally wouldn’t impose, but--”

“Oh, it’s no problem at all,” the octopus said, moving the bucket closer to her. “Please, help yourself. You’re welcome to stay as long as need.”

Momentarily gaping in disbelief, Daring shook her head and composed herself. “Thanks…I appreciate it.”

The octopus gave a quick nod then turned his attention to the bubbling cauldron. Loosening her saddlebag’s strap, Daring let out a relieved sigh as the burden slid off her back. Muscles were finally granted a respite after trekking for hours. She removed her hat and wiped the sweat from her brow, never allowing the octopus to escape her sight. Despite his affability, experience had taught Daring not to trust that easily.

She watched as the octopus darted around the camp, alternating between a half-dozen different activities. Stoking the flames, writing in a journal, grinding something on stone mortar, stirring it into the cauldron, tidying up the scattered utensils, all with less than a second between each other. Before she had a chance to rationalize anything, the octopus had zipped to her side. An earthenware mug was held by his tentacles. A bittersweet aroma perfumed the air. “May I interest you in some cacao?”

Daring met the octopus’s gaze, furrowing her brow.

“There’s nothing wrong with it, I just thought you could use something other than water. Frankly, the jungle has left you looking a bit ragged.”

Daring opened her mouth to protest, but her arms had already seized the mug. She grit her teeth as her stomach audibly growled. The allure of cacao proved to be stronger than either her pride and reservations. “You really shouldn’t have,” she groused.

“I’d be a poor host indeed if I didn’t see to my guest’s needs?” The octopus rummaged through his backpack, pulling out some oranges and cutting them into slices. “It’s not much but this should help you get some strength back."

Daring stared at the brown concoction and scowled, taking a hesitant sip. Doubts began to melt away as the frothy liquid hit her tongue. The second sip confirmed it wasn’t some trick of the mind. It’s good…Really good. A little watery and not perfectly smooth, but neither distracted from the taste. Deep chocolate flavor, sweet yet nowhere near cloying, tied together with notes of spice and cinnamon. A far cry from what most ponies called hot chocolate.

After the third sip, half of the mug’s contents had vanished. A smile slowly crept across Daring’s face. “I haven’t real cacao like this in years.”

“I’m glad that you’re enjoying my creation. It was my attempt at recreating what the Mayapone kings would have drank centuries ago.”



Daring gasped. “You know about the Mayapone?”

“I was vaguely familiar with their history and culture before starting my job. When they appeared on the social studies curriculum, I did what I could to broaden my knowledge: Reviewing the literature, visiting museums, touring archeological sites, sampling the local cuisine.”

The octopus ladled some cacao into a mug then sat down besides her, gazing up at the twilit sky. The moon’s spectre hung above the tree line. “I can see why the Chairman decided to include them. What they accomplished without modern instruments is astounding.”

“An instructor that recognizes the importance of the Mayapone? Now that’s rare,” Daring chuckled bitterly. “Whenever I introduce the topic in class, most of my students just stare like I’m speaking old Equish.”

She angrily gulped down the rest of her cacao and slammed the cup against the log. Years of frustration erupted to the surface. “How ignorant can they be?! Even if you look past their achievements in mathematics and astronomy, they invented chocolate! Confections are the bedrock of our economy yet nopony knows who invented chocolate!” She shook her head. “I guess if it’s not related to Equestria’s founding, it’s not important enough to be taught in schools.”



The octopus nodded, “I never would have guessed you were a teacher.”

Daring stiffened as the realization hit her. Details about her civilian life had slipped out and the octopus was now looking at her expectantly. No point in dancing around it anymore.

She sighed and unhooked her canteen, dunking it into the water. “Well, adventuring doesn’t pay the bills. I was offered the job after completing my dissertation and it made sense at the time. First couple of years weren’t even that bad… Then problems started piling up. Students stopped doing the reading. Funding was slashed. Administrators arguing over what books I could assign.”

As the last bubble escaped the spout, she pulled out her canteen and stoppered it. “Not sure why I put up with them anyway. I have enough saved up to live comfortably and travel Equestria for a couple of years. Routine, I guess.”

The octopus flashed a sympathetic smile, specks of cacao and chili marring his teeth. “Teaching isn’t an easy job. It requires a special set of skills. And even then not everyone will enjoy it. I dabbled in teaching before my current job, but never professionally. Always as a means to an end. Then I met someone who opened my eyes to new possibilities.” He stared wistfully at the horizon. “I haven’t looked back since then.”

“Nice story, but it’s not going to change my mind. I have endured too much bullshit to suddenly enjoy teaching again. I really need to get back in the field.”

“Who said anything about changing your mind? I thought we were just having a conversation.”

“Yeah… you’re right.” Daring laughed, stress melting off her shoulders. “Thanks. I needed to get that off my chest. Can’t remember the last time I had a civil conversation with somepony else. Well, you’re a giant talking octopus but I’m not going to dwell on semantics.”

Noticing her smile reflected in the bucket, she felt a pang of guilt. “Are you sure that you’re okay with sharing so much of your water with me? All I can offer you is few bits and-”

“Oh, there’s no need to worry about that. I can easily get more if we run out.”

Daring whirled around and stared at the octopus, nearly giving herself whiplash in the process. Her eyes wide and disbelieving. “Where?! There isn’t a source of clean water for miles around. So, unless you somehow discovered a lake, I’m curious as to what this water source is.”

“Not a lake per say but something close enough. While collecting spices for the cacao, I almost fell into a massive sinkhole. To my surprise, the water was almost completely devoid of contaminants, so I sourced it for my cooking.” The octopus glided over to the cauldron and ladled more cacao into his mug. “It was a lucky discovery, otherwise I would be making repeated runs to the nearby village.”

“Sinkhole…” Daring muttered. Something about that word felt so familiar. Mulling over her knowledge of the Mayapone, the answer became obvious. “Oh, you mean a cenote. That is a lucky find.” When the revelation dawned on her a full minute later, Daring stiffened and spat out a mouthful of water. “Wait, a cenote?! You found a cenote?!”

“A cenote, that’s right. I should have made the connection after passing by those old structures.”



Daring ran up and grasped the octopus by his shoulders, shaking him frantically. “Tell me where it is! Right now! I need to know!”

The octopus staggered backwards, clutching his mug. “Um, straight that way,” He pointed to the tree line from which he had emerged. “No longer than a fifteen minute walk from here. I can guide you there but I don’t see what the rush is-”

“That’s all I needed to hear,” Daring said, donning her hat. She hastily slung her saddlebag atop her back and bolted into jungle. “Thanks for the company. Let’s meet again one day!”

“Wait! Hold on! You’re leaving already? Shouldn’t you rest a little longer? And what about the oranges?” The octopus cried out, his voice soon drowned out by the jungle’s ambience.

Now’s not the time to be sentimental. I have to see those ruins for myself.

Daring shook off her inhibitions and sprinted deeper into the underbrush despite her better judgement. Experience had taught her not to blindly chase leads, but she didn’t care at this point. After days of fruitless wandering, hope was dwindling. Maybe there was still something left in the Yucatan. That octopus’s remark was enough to reignite her drive.

Can’t be much farther now, she thought, leaping over a gnarled cluster of roots only to lose her footing when the terrain sloped drastically, the cenote awaiting her at the bottom.

“Shit! Shit! Shit!” Daring dug in her hoofs, desperate to halt her momentum, but the jungle offered no assistance. No branches, no vines, nothing to slow her descent. Gravel tumbled down the incline and vanished into the darkness as she skidded closer and closer. Daring’s mind ran through her opinions.

Too heavy to fly. . Gotta jump.

She tensed her legs and sprang forward just as her hoofs touch the edge. Time slowed to a crawl as Daring soared over the pit, unsure if she would reach the other side.

Daring slammed into the ledge with a dull thud, air rushing out of her lungs. Pain radiated out from her chest like a wildfire. She tried to ignore it and claw her way up, clinging to the outcropping for dear life. Legs flailed about in search of a foothold that didn’t exist. The weight of her saddlebags slowly dragged her back into the cenote as her grip weakened by the second.

When it seemed her strength had reached its limit, a weightlessness washed over Daring’s body. She seized that moment to toss herself over the edge and scramble to solid land. She let out a weak chuckle then winced. Made it.

The relief was short-lived. A stabbing pain soon accompanied each breath as the adrenaline wore off. “I need to be more careful,” Daring coughed, clutching her chest. “Otherwise it’ll be the death of me.”

The pain subsided a few minutes later, replaced by a dull ache. Daring shakily rose to her hoofs then glanced back at the cenote. A ray of light piercing through the canopy offered her a glimpse into the cavern that laid beneath.

Within the illuminated space, Daring spotted a promising sign. Brown sherds littered every inch of the cenote’s limestone floor. “Offerings…That means those ruins must be--”

She turned around and felt her jaw drop.

“Close,” she finished, breathlessly. Amid the meager daylight and dense vegetation stood the undeniable silhouette of a Mayapone pyramid.

Several millennia ago, a flourishing city-state would have surrounded the structure. The seat of power to some petty king whose name was lost to the fog of time. One of countless others that dotted the Yucatan. Now, it was just another collection of forgotten structures that were being reclaimed by the jungle.

Daring’s analytical instincts kicked in as she walked toward the pyramid, her gaze sweeping across ruins. The pyramid’s height. The arrangement of buildings. The craftsmanship of stone blocks. Each detail helped to reconstruct an image of the city in its glory days.

All signs point to this being Post-Classic site.

She stopped the base and drew her machete, hacking away the thick wall of vines.

Instead of the patchwork of broken rock that Daring had expected, a singular block of stone laid beneath the foliage. She peeled away another layer, uncovering an entire row of blocks. Each cut to perfectly fit its neighbors. A millennium of neglect and exposure had left its mark, yet the stone remained intact.

No…this masonry is too clean. It has to be Terminal-Classic.

Out the corner of her eye, Daring noticed something which prompted a double-take.

A trio of stone columns positioned several feet away from a crumbled wall. A common feature of numerous Mayapone sites. Nothing that she hadn’t seen in the past, except for their condition. The Yucatan’s hostile climate often reduced stone to tatters. Yet, those columns left Daring questioning her sanity.

The columns were utterly pristine, clean as the day which they were erected. The limestone slip smooth and unbroken. No clinging vines. No weathering. Not even the slightest hint of discoloration. Somehow, despite the surrounding structures falling to ruin, those columns were left unchanged by time’s relentless march. Untouched by nature as the jungle swallowed up the city’s remnants. Poking around their edges were curious shapes that filled Daring with confusion. “What the…”

The veil of humidity dissipated as Daring approached the columns. The swarm of mosquitoes which had hounded since her morning scattered. A hush enveloped the ruins where only the clattering of pebbles and crunching of grass underhoof could be heard. Rather than a welcome respite, it only fueled a growing dread.

An odd quality began to imbue the air. The stagnant fetor of antiquity hung around the columns like a miasma. Omnipresent among decaying structures and sealed tombs, it was unthinkable to encounter the odor in open jungle. Daring mulled over possible explanations until her gaze met the mysterious stone figures.

A full body statue decorated each of the columns. Hulking stallions whose bodies adorned in jewelry and headdresses befitting Mayapone royalty. Musculature rendered in exquisite detail. Horns pointed skyward and wing spread proudly, they cast an imposing shadow. Daring stared listlessly at the statues and muttered, “Lifelike statues…of alicorns…in the Yucatan.” Overloaded by the contradictory images, her brain shut down.

A flash of pain across her cheek snapped Daring back to reality. She whipped her head around then glanced at her raised hoof.

Huh, guess I…slapped myself.

Daring re-focused her sight on the statues as countless baffled thoughts flooded her brain.

What are these doing here? Why are they statues? They should be bas-relief carvings not these life-sized monstrosities. Furthermore, why are these alicorns? There are no records of alicorns existing prior to Celestia and Luna! This isn’t Canterlot. This isn’t Cloudsdale. This is the bucking Yucatan jungle in Mexicolt! What the buck are they doing here?

The maelstrom of confusion quelled upon noticing an oddity on the central column. A stone mask resembling an equine skull positioned a few inches above the alicorn’s hoof.

“The stone mask… Finally.” Daring chuckled weakly. She set down her saddlebags and rummaged through its assortment of tools, retrieving a small chisel.

This should do just fine.

As Daring approached the column, a small gecko emerged from the tall grass. It briefly scanned the area then scurried up the center column, perching atop the alicorn’s head. The gecko cocked its head and stared at her while licking its eye. Daring paused, letting out a bemused chuckle. “Cute.”

The gecko stiffened and let out a strangled yelp before being absorbed into the statue. The chisel dropped from Daring’s mouth.

There’s no way that just happened.

As she gaped at the stone alicorn, ice crystalized in her veins. Its stare felt uncomfortably real. Overcome by a morbid curiosity, her hoof moved closer and closer to the column only to pull back at the last second. A frantic heartbeat loud in her ears, Daring exhaled then retrieved the chisel.

Don’t think about it. Just get the mask and get out of here.

Hovering above the statue, Daring wedged the chisel into a crack between the mask and column. Inch by inch the blade slid in until a dull clack rang out. She jimmied the chisel up and down with little progress. The column refused to yield its treasure. Daring’s breathe grew ragged. Every muscle in her body screamed, exhaustion weighing heavier with each passing second airborne.

“Come on!” A swift kick to the handle sent the mask flying off the column. Daring dropped to the ground and picked up the mask, turning it around in her hoofs. “Finally…”

A sharp pain pierced Daring’s neck. “Gah! Bucking mosquitos!” She slapped at the offending insect. Something cold and metallic pressed against her hoof. A small tube with stiff fletching. Color drained from the world. The stone mask tumbled out of her grasp as her limbs grew numb. Daring grimaced and staggered a few steps before collapsing. Darkness closed in around her as several figures emerged out of the tree line.


The roar of crashing water. The crackling of a bonfire. The din of overlapping voices. Daring began to stir as those noises assailed her ears. “Urghhh.” Pain gripped her head like a vice. She attempted to reach up and massage it away, but her limbs refused to budge. A crushing pressure wrapped around her chest. Breathing shallow and constricted, Daring’s eyes opened to ropes binding every inch of her body to a log. “What in the-”

Craning her neck to the right, a breathtaking overlook of the Yucatan greeted Daring. The crimson sun peered over the horizon and bathed the jungle in its glow. A lone Mayapone pyramid broke through the jungle’s canopy. A torrent surged over the precipice a few feet away.

To her left, a plume of smoke rose up into the twilight sky. A quartet of ponies and numerous crates clustered around a bonfire. Three chatted and passed rations to each other while the fourth sat on the opposite side. He inspected the mask, turning it over in his hoofs. Haze and shadows obscured their faces. Daring attempted to slip out of her binds when one of the goons turned his head.

“Oi, Boss, she’s finally awake!”

The boss stood up and sauntered into the fading daylight. Daring’s blood boiled as his features came into view. Gelled black mane. Five o’clock shadow. Tacky spotted red ascot. Golden skull cutie mark. Extremely punchable face. There was no doubt of his identity.

“Welcome back to the waking world, Daring,” he said. “Now, you can witness the moment of my triumph!”

“Caballeron, you son of a-”

“It’s Dr. Caballeron.”

“No, it’s not,” Daring smirked, “The professors at Trottingham University were pretty clear when they kicked you out.”

“Those old fools know nothing!” Caballeron roared, striking the log.

His goons stiffened and glanced at him nervously.

He massaged his leg for a moment then slicked back his mane and smiled. All traces of anger had vanished except a slight twitch of his eye.

Caballeron picked up her canteen and dangled it overhead. “Might I interest you in some water? You look parched after such a long hike.”

Daring shot him a venomous glare. An intense dryness gripped her throat. Countless expletives danced on the tip of her tongue. Teeth grinded against each other. Yet, she refused to give him the satisfaction of a response.

“What’s the matter? All you have to do is reach up and grab it,” Caballeron said as the smuggest grin stretched across his face. “Well, suit yourself.” Shrugging, he tossed the canteen over his shoulder where the current swept it over the edge.

Caballeron walked to the precipice. “Depressing, isn’t it? Despite everything the Mayapone accomplished, that pyramid is their last legacy.” He scoffed. “One of the most advanced civilizations in pre-Equestria, nay the world and that’s what the Mayapone are remembered for: building a bunch of pyramids in Mexicolt.”

Daring rolled her eyes. “What’s your point?”

“Long before the first brick of Canterlot Observatory was laid, the Mayapone had already unlocked the secrets of the night sky. Without telescopes, without advance instrumentation, without magic, they tracked the stars and created calendars that remained accurate and outlasted them by centuries. One of their many achievements that rarely receives its due credit.”

“Wha-why are you telling me this? I’m already well aware these facts. We took those same classes.”

“Hieroglyphic writing. Monumental feats of engineering and architecture. A water filtration system. The independent invention of zero and mathematics! Numerous innovations that form the bedrock of our modern society!” Caballeron stomped around the campsite, his ravings growing more heated. “Yet, nobody has heard of them because all they ever teach is the Three Tribes, the Founding of Equestria, and the life of Starswirl the Bearded!”

“There he goes again,” one of the goons muttered, “Third time this week we’ve heard that same bloody rant.”

“I will admit, though, our knowledge is incomplete. Despite decades of continuous research, nopony knows what exactly caused the Mayapone collapse.” Caballeron paused to straighten his ascot. “There are plenty of theories: a bloody succession crisis, conquest by external entities, a series of droughts, disruption of trade routes, depletion of natural resources due to deforestation. So many theories that miss the answer that’s right in front of their eyes. The clues are so obvious but nopony is willing to acknowledge them… Except for me ”

Daring fell limp as that last sentence echoing throughout her mind. She stared listlessly at Caballeron, waiting for the punchline in vain. Not a hint of humor existed on his face. “You’re serious.”

Daring thrashed with a renewed fury, but the ropes held firm. “Are you bucking kidding me- you’re still holding on to that crackpot theory?! Listen, it was funny the first time I heard it over drinks. Not so much when you presented it to committee. I mean, do you seriously still believe the Mayapone were wiped out by a horde of vamponies created by super vamponies as their food supply?”

She smiled wryly. “On the other hoof, if you told me that was the premise for your new comic series, I would definitely give it a read.”

“After everything you’ve seen, that is where you draw the line?” Caballeron balked then waved over one of his goons who hastily brought the mask and placed on the ground. “No matter, you will soon see how right I am.”

Reaching into his shirt pocket, Caballeron produced an obsidian dagger and held it skyward. The blade shimmered a pale green as it caught the fading sunlight. “Found this atop that pyramid. Exquisite craftsmanship. If prepared by a skilled knapper, its edge can reach a thickness of 30 angstroms. Modern steel scalpels dream of achieving that type of precision.”

“Again, I know that. Get on with it!”

Caballeron held his hoof over the mask and dragged the blade across it with slight pressure, setting the dagger on the log. A thin red line welled up along the cut. Blood splattered upon stone, soaking into the crevices as the mask began to tremble. Spikes erupted within the mask’s interior and launched into the air where it landed on Caballeron’s outstretched leg.

“Who’s the crackpot now?!” Caballeron gloated, raising the mask to eye level and grinning. “Millennia ago, this tool precipitated the Mayapone’s downfall and, soon, it will facilitate my rise. My rebirth! My triumph!”

“So, that’s your endgame now? Turn yourself into a vampony and…then what?”

“I’ll figure it out as I go along. Not that you’ll be around to set much longer since-” Caballeron brandished a Bowie knife “-I’m going to put an end to your meddling once and for all. No deathtraps. No walking away and assuming everything will go to plan. Not even the irony of death by a Mayapone artifact. Just a regular knife in your chest. ”

“Wait, what do you mean no deathtraps?” An indignant goon cried. “Then what was the point of us rigging up that dynamite and luring in those caimans?”

“You imbeciles!” Caballeron barked. “You ruined the moment! I don’t pay you to chatter!”

“You haven’t paid us at all!”

Daring burst into peals of laughter, “Oh, wow, you almost had going there. I should have known, no matter the situation, you always manage to screw it up.”

Caballeron snarled, raising the knife high, “I’ve heard enough from you! DIE!!!

The world stood still as Caballeron’s knife arced toward her heart. A cascade of memories crashed down upon Daring. A peaceful fillyhood in Horseshoe Bay. That first encounter with Ahuizotl in the Badlands. Arguing her dissertation at Trottingham University. The sleepless nights translating her adventures into manuscripts. Amid the nostalgic procession, an unavoidable truth became clear.

Guess this really is the end for me. Can’t say I have any regrets. Daring closed her eyes as a gust blew past.

There was no sickening crush. No gush of blood. No deathly cold permeating her chest. Whatever had struck her was not a knife, rather it was something soft and wet. Daring opened her eyes then blinked. “Is that a banana?”

“What the?!” Caballeron gaped at the overripe banana now smeared across Daring’s shirt. He tossed the ruined fruit aside and reached for the obsidian dagger only to discover it had vanished along with the mask. “What happened?! Where did everything go?!”

“I believe you’re looking for this.” Daring and Caballeron turned to the bonfire where the octopus now sat amid the goons. He examined the knife before biting into it while the goons recoiled in horror. “I may be unfamiliar with local customs but that’s no way to treat your guest.”

“W-what are you?!” Caballeron backed away. His goons tripped over their hoofs, scrambling into the jungle. “Get back here you cowards!”

Pressure lifted off Daring’s chest as the slashed ropes slid off her the log. After sucking in a few unencumbered breathes, she sat up and directed her gaze at Cablleron who was barking toothless threats. His positioning near the edge was too tantalizing not to abuse. Daring tensed her legs then lunged at him. Hoof met face with a satisfying crunch.

“Curse you, Daring Do!” Caballeron screamed as he plummeted over the edge. Seconds later, a splash was heard followed an explosion that rocked the area. A geyser erupted skyward and misted the air a light pink.

“Shouldn’t we check on him?”

“Don’t worry about it, he’s survived worse.” Daring waved dismissively, trotting over to the camp. “I threw him into a volcano once.” After checking around the crates, her saddlebags and pith helmet were discovered beneath a tarp. She let out a relieved sigh then turned to the octopus. “That’s twice in one day that you’ve saved my flank. I don’t know how to thank you…Actually, I never got your name.”

“Korosensei. And think nothing of it.” He smiled sheepishly, holding out a book. “Though, if you don’t mind, I would appreciate an autograph.”

“Is that all? No problem.” Daring blinked in disbelief at the cover. “Wait...how did you get this? The Pirate City of Maretania isn’t due for release until next month. The only way you could have gotten this is-” Daring shook her head then signed the inner cover. “Nevermind, at this point, I could care less how you got it.”

“I believe this belongs to you,” Korosensei said, presenting her the stone mask. A hint of apprehension bled into his voice. “From what I saw, it could be quite dangerous in the wrong hoofs. What do you plan on doing with it?”

Daring hesitated before accepting it. The fresh memory of what occurred in the ruins lingered. “It’s still a Mayapone artifact, regardless of that fact. It belongs in a museum-” a chill ran up Daring’s spine as she glanced at the bloodstained mask, its empty eyes staring back. “-though, not on public display. I know a pony at the Vanhoover Museum who’ll keep this under lock and key.” She placed it in her saddle bag and retrieved her polaroid camera. “Anyway, do you mind if we take a picture for posterity?”

“Not at all.” Korosensei set the camera atop a crate, started the timer, then darted to her side. A flash and shutter click preceded the photo floating to the ground. Daring inspected it and smiled. “So, I suppose you will be spending the night here?”

“Yeah, it’s too dangerous to try heading back to town at this hour. Besides, it would be a shame to let all these supplies go to waste. Care to join me?”

“Unfortunately, I will have to decline.” Korosensei glanced at the darkening sky where a solitary star shone bright. “My vacation time is almost over and there are a few sights in Canterlot I wish to see before heading home.” He jumped to the river’s opposite side. “It was a pleasure talking with you, Miss Do. Take care.”

“Canterlot? That’s over a thousand miles from here! How do you plan on getting there-” A surge of air buffeted Daring as Korosensei rocketed due north. He was a twinkle on the horizon within seconds, indistinguishable amongst the emerging blanket of stars. “A talking octopus…that can also fly. Yeah, that makes sense.”

Laughing, she slumped against one of the crates. “Can’t wait to explain this to my editor.” The bonfire’s glow felt comforting after past few hours. A jaguar’s cry reverberated in the distance as darkness consumed the jungle.


Korosensei soared across the twilit sky, orange clouds lost in his wake. Night began to sweep across the landscape on his right. Cities and towns dotting the plains zipped by until a mountain loomed on the horizon. Water streaming down its side and Canterlot’s gilded architecture shimmered in final minute before the sun vanished. “Let’s see what Equestria’s capitol has to offer.”

Comments ( 4 )

What’s up everyone? Didn’t expect this to update ever again. Well, I actually managed to be productive during the pandemic and finished this chapter. With my editor and I being vaccinated, we were able to meet and edit this one down.
Can’t give you guys any timeline for the next chapter since I have work to do. See everyone when I see them. Stay safe and peace out.

Daring thrashed with a renewed fury, but the ropes held firm. “Are you bucking kidding me- you’re still holding on to that crackpot theory?! Listen, it was funny the first time I heard it over drinks. Not so much when you presented it to committee. I mean, do you seriously still believe the Mayapone were wiped out by a horde of vamponies created by super vamponies as their food supply?”

Wait...is that?

Caballeron held his hoof over the mask and dragged the blade across it with slight pressure, setting the dagger on the log. A thin red line welled up along the cut. Blood splattered upon stone, soaking into the crevices as the mask began to tremble. Spikes erupted within the mask’s interior and launched into the air where it landed on Caballeron’s outstretched leg.

It is!! This entire chapter, leading up to a JoJo's reference! Well played, author. Very well played.

Who would have thought those two would have anything in common to talk about?

10861132
Congratulations! You got them all correct, including Saints Row he Third and FFVI. First person to guess them all.

Login or register to comment