• Published 10th Aug 2015
  • 2,890 Views, 40 Comments

Chaos at Mach 20 - KGB-Agent9347



Discord feels Equestria has become too peaceful. He enlists a certain octopus teacher. Minor chaos ensues. Nurufufufu...

  • ...
8
 40
 2,890

Morning Time

Discord awoke to the faint ringing of bells. He growled and twisted away from the offending noise, burying his head in a pillow. Bells. Why am I hearing bells? Discord cracked an eye open as memories bubbled to the surface, catching a golden glimmer in the darkness. The bells grew louder, destroying any chance of returning to sleep. Discord bolted upright in his hammock and dove toward the shape.

Discord felt around the coffee table’s surface until his paw brushed against a metallic object, pitching it at the wall without a second thought. A satisfying crunch echoed throughout the room, earning a smile from Discord as a medley of gears and springs spilled out from the broken alarm clock. The relief was short-lived as a golden aura surrounded the wreckage repaired the clock to a working state, allowing the bells to resume. Discord let out a defeated sigh, calmly retrieving the golden nuisance and disengaging the alarm.

Discord tossed the alarm clock into a waste bin and yanked the lamp’s pullstring. Glancing around the room with bleary eyes, he discovered the folded-away sofa bed and no trace of Korosensei. Where could he have gone?He frantically searched the room until the sound of running water reached his ears. As Korosensei emerged at the top of staircase, Discord flopped onto the sofa in relief. "You work fast."

“I’m accustomed to hectic mornings,” Korosensei replied plainly, straightening his oversized tie and dismounting the stairs.

“Please, treat yourself to some breakfast while I wash up. I’ll be down soon.” Discord pulled off his nightcap and vanished in a burst of light. Korosensei shrugged, flying into the kitchen and rifling through the refrigerator.


“While it pains me to destroy something so wonderfully strange, I prefer having a functioning bathtub,” Discord muttered bitterly, snapping a pair of rubber gloves over his mismatched hands. He tapped the gelatinous bathwater, choking back bile as it wobbled and jiggled. As his stomach settled, Discord glanced at his bucket of cleaning supplies and frowned. “This will require an unconventional approach…”

Discord took a few step back before sending the bathtub through the wall with a swift kick. Poking his head out the jagged hole, he grinned as it drifted away into the miasmic purple sky. The sense of accomplishment dampened by a throbbing pain in his leg.

Discord paused to massage his aching leg before surveying the damage. “Let’s see…I’ve lost a bathtub and gained a hole in the wall. Though, not for much longer.”

With a snap of Discord’s fingers, the room was restored to its previous state. Discord was greeted by his smiling reflection upon peering into the new bathtub. Running his gloved talon along the rim, he was satisfied at the lack of jellified bathwater sticking to it.

“Now that everything`s been cleaned up, time for breakfast,” Discord tore off his gloves and flicked off the lights. Upon descending into the living room, the tantalizing aromas of melting butter and caramelized sugar beckoned Discord to the kitchen where a tower of pancakes sat precariously on the table. It swayed with each of Discord’s steps, excess butter cascading down the sides. His wandering eyes noticed a dusting of flour on the furniture and a batter-coated bowl floating in the sink.

“Ah, you’re back,“ Korosensei peered from behind the wobbling tower of pancakes, spatula and skillet grasped in his tentacles. “Allow me a moment to tidy up before we begin breakfast.”

Korosensei darted to the sink after launching a final pancake from the skillet. It somersaulted through the air, landing atop the pancake tower and compromising its dubious stability. Time slowed to a crawl as the pancakes toppled toward Discord. Sighing in resignation, he braced for impact.

“Would you like anything to drink?” Korosensei asked while setting glasses and silverware on the table. He drizzled maple syrup over the two stacks of pancakes before returning to the open refrigerator.

Discord’s jaw hung slack, stunned by the immaculate state of his kitchen. All traces of Korosensei’s handiwork had vanished along with the decades of accumulated dust. The cabinets were filled with freshly washed bowls and dishes, leaving the sink empty for the first time. Upon regaining a degree of composure, Discord woozily slumped onto the nearest chair. “How did you…nevermind. I’ll have the chocolate milk. There should be some near the back.”

Korosensei zipped back to the table and dropped off the half-empty decanter. He poured its contents into the glasses before seating himself opposite of Discord. Grabbing a fork and knife, Korosensei eagerly sliced into the tall stack. “I hope pancakes are to your liking. They were all I could make with the contents of your pantry.”

“I have no complaints about the food,” Discord swallowed half of his pancakes before levelling a flat stare at Korosensei. “However, you shouldn’t have done so much. This is supposed to be your vacation time.”

“Well, I couldn’t leave the kitchen in such a state,” Korosensei remarked between bites, the stack of pancakes rapidly diminishing in front of him. “It appeared to not have been cleaned in ages.”

“An accurate summation,” Discord pushed his empty plate aside, raising the chocolate milk to his lips and tipping it back. The glass slowly receded to the halfway point while leaving the chocolate milk untouched and unaffected by the lack of a vessel.

Perplexed by the physics-defying display, Korosensei began inspecting his own chocolate milk. He tilted the glass from side to side, noting the liquid’s flow with each shift. Unable to discover any abnormalities, Korosensei shrugged and devoured the whole glass in a few bites.

He’s adjusting well, Discord thought with a bemused smirk.

“Anyway, I’ve wanted to ask you about time before we proceed any further,” Korosensei asked as he wiped his face clean of stray crumbs and glass shards.

“The clock is right there,” Discord deadpanned, gesturing to the spot above the kitchen’s archway.

“Allow me to clarify, I’m referring to the differences in time between our worlds.” Korosensei’s expression hardened as the joviality dissipated from his voice. “The last thing I want is to return home and discover a century has passed by in my absence.”

“Fair point. Temporal dilation is something I have no control over. Let me think…,”Discord tried to respond but continually drew a blank, wracking his mind for an answer which never materialized. Several minutes passed in awkward silence until Discord came to an unexpected realization. “I actually forgot to calculate that…," he replied, stroking his beard in shock. "Well, there's no time like the present!"

Discord drained his remainder of his glass and tossed the chocolate milk over his shoulder. Flying through the open window, it detonated upon collision with one of the nearby islands. Discord ignored the encroaching explosion and ascended the staircase while Korosensei hastily shut the window.

Discord had travelled halfway down the hallway when Korosensei reappeared next to him. After passing by sets of identical doors, Korosensei grew anxious and broke the silence. “Where exactly are we going?”

“My lab has all the equipment needed to solve our temporal conundrum,” Discord replied without breaking stride.

“I don’t recall seeing a lab yesterday…,” Korosensei’s voice trailed off as they reached the end of the hallway. A pair of lanterns hung off the wall and illuminated the area with their purple flames. ”Nor do I recall those being here.”

“All will be revealed shortly.” Discord flashed with a knowing grin, pulling the right lantern toward himself.

Ominous mechanical clicking echoed throughout the hallway after the lantern snapped back into position. As Korosensei was about to question Discord, the floor beneath abruptly rotated from under their feet and flung them into a tram cart. Discord settled comfortably into his seat while Korosensei shook off his mild disorientation.

"Please remain seated and keep all horns, hoofs, paws, and wings in at all times," a robotic voice announced as the safety bar dropped into position. Korosensei had barely registered his new surroundings when the tram tipped over the edge.

Nausea hammered Korosensei as the tram accelerated down the winding track. The contents of his stomach sloshed around with each sharp turn and steep drop. Sinking deep into his seat, Korosensei’s complexion shifted from yellow to a sickly green. The ride came to a merciful yet abrupt end when the tram slammed into a stone barricade, catapulting its passengers into the air.

Korosensei descended with all the grace of wet laundry, landing headlong with a dull thud while Discord gently floated to the ground. He offered his lion paw as Korosensei staggered to his feet.

“It still baffles me how someone like you is able to get motion sick.” Discord conjured a bottle of ginger ale. “This should ease your stomach. Nevertheless, welcome to my secret lab!”

“Thank you. It normally doesn’t effect me this badly,” Korosensei eagerly gulped down the golden elixir. As the fog of nausea lifted, he brushed the dusted from his robe and glanced around the room.

Korosensei discovered the mirror portal resting against the farthest wall, bunches of magenta wires connecting it to the Dimensional Viewer. An antiquated computer and printer sat atop a nearby lab table where gray cables linked them to the other devices. Potted plants and chalkboards lined the right wall with shelves of textbooks on the left. The overhead lights hummed while casting a haze upon the room. As Korosensei walked to the room’s center, a thought crossed his mind. “Hold on, why is this lab a secret if nopony else has visited your home besides myself?”

Discord shrugged, summoning his lab coat and goggles from their wall hooks. “It just feels right, if that makes any sense.”

Discord punched a red button on the wall, causing the lights to flicker momentarily. The computer sputtered to life as dust-laden circuits awoke from their slumber. The Dimensional Viewer was next to power up with a grating hum. A blizzard of static filled the screen which gradually dispersed to reveal the familiar sight of Korosensei’s classroom. The noise died out as the mirror portal stabilized its connection with the other world. Discord walked up to the computer and began entering a string of commands into the keyboard. “Excuse me while I collect the necessary data. It should only be a few minutes.”

Korosensei fixated on the swirling vortex held by the mirror’s frame, his way back home. It would be incredibly easy to sabotage the portal, rush through it, and leave this world of magic behind him. However enticing the idea sounded, he abstained from enacting his escape on account of the potential fallout. Korosensei felt that Discord would not react kindly to a derailment of his plans, despite his irreverent attitude. [Crossing a god of chaos would probably be the last mistake I ever make.

Korosensei instead wandered over to examine Discord’s botanical experiments, noticing the extensive diagrams scribbled all over the black boards. The plants measured a few inches in height with scarlet fruits in various states of maturity. The gnarled orbs dangled below aristate leaf clusters, light shining off their waxy skin with tails curled into sickles. As Korosensei attempted to pluck a ripe specimen, Discord spoke up. “I see that my chiles have caught your eye. Go ahead, give them a try. I’m confident they’re nothing which you can’t handle.”

Korosensei retracted his tentacle, noticing a mischievous glint in Discord`s eyes. “On second thought, I would rather not.”

“No need to be so suspicious,“ Discord flashed an innocent smile, harvesting the ripest peppers and dropping them into a bowl. A notebook floated off the shelf and dropped into Korosensei’s tentacles. “My hybrid peppers are perfectly safe to eat. My personal logs will attest to that fact.”

Korosensei gazed skeptically at the notebook before flipping open the front cover. He scanned through the pages, absorbing information and paling with each progressive entry. The final pages were marred by unintelligible scribbles and what appeared to be tear stains. The notebook slipped out of his tentacles as he faced Discord with a haunted look in his eyes. “What compelled you to create such a thing?”

“I was told to ‘get a hobby’ by my other friends, so I chose botany,” Discord scooped up the notebook and returned it to the shelf. “I’ve always had a green thumb and it provided a way to elevate the artistry of my mischief to the next level. Besides, the experience wasn’t completely terrible. There’s a wonderful fruity flavor once the burning fades. I also learned the importance of dictation quills.”

Discord pointed to a table where a quill floated above a logbook, silently waiting for the conversation to resume. “Quite useful when you forget to write notes.”

A harsh monotone beep directed Discord’s attention back to his antiquated computer whose screen had turned blue. He growled, teleporting to the lab table before furiously pounding the monitor with his lion paw. The image on screen flickered under the repeated strikes, their frequency rising in sync with Discord’s agitation. “Don’t you dare quit on me now!”

The screen reverted to its original state at the moment when Discord’s fist crunched through the exterior, firing off a signal to the printer before shutting down. It spat out a paper which Discord snatched with his free hand and examined the result.

With a snap of his fingers, a green tome leapt from the shelves and floated across the room. The worn cover was adorned with the image of an elderly bearded unicorn in a bent sorcerer’s hat. It gravitated to Discord’s side while he repositioned a chalkboard away from his plants.

Discord leafed through the tome, carefully separating yellow tinged pages which threatened to shred apart under the slightest pressure. Each chapters held irreplaceable research and spells though lost to annals of time. A page entitled Time Between the Worlds held the sought-after formula, a nightmarish amalgam of exponents, fractions, and roots. A chill race up Discord’s spine as long-buried traumas reared their heads. Nevertheless, he had gathered all of the pieces needed to solve the temporal conundrum. "Alright, let's plug the variables and see what we get."

Discord flipped the chalkboard over to its blank side and glanced between the tome and printout. He exhaled sharply and began transcribing the formula. As numerous expressions filled the board, Discord’s piece of chalk disintegrated in his claw while a cloud of dust engulfed the room. Korosensei hacked and coughed, waving his arms to clear the air when the scratching abruptly stopped. “We’re in luck if I got this right.”

Discord emerged from the cloud, stumbling away from the chalkboard and wearily leaning against the wall as dust settled on the ground. “Do you mind checking the calculations? Math was never my strongest subject.”

Korosensei nodded and faced the numerical monstrosity looming over him. The formula beast snarled and bared its fangs, claws twitching in anticipation of ripping into a new victim. Spatters of an unknown fluid littered the ground. They circled each other, never breaking eye contact and waiting for other to strike first. Seizing the initiative, the beast charged at Korosensei who nonchalantly side-stepped the attack. It whipped around and prepared another lunge when everything became numb. A strangled howl was its final action before collapsing into a pile of simplified expressions. The corpse evaporated and left behind a simple ratio which caused Korosensei to tilt his head. “Three to one?”

“So it was right. Time is flowing faster in your world. Three days in Equestria equates to only a single day on Earth. Factoring in time since arrival, you can spend two and a half days touring Equestria before Sunday,” Discord removed his lab coat and hung it off the chalkboards. He collected the bowl of peppers before turning to Korosensei. “How does that sit with you?”

A wave of relief washed over Korosensei and extinguished any lingering reservations against enjoying his unexpected vacation. Beneath his initial apprehension, there was curiosity at what adventures could unfold in this fantastical world. “I no longer have any objections. Where do we go from here?”

Korosensei was answered by Discord snapping his fingers while the accompanying burst of light, blinding him for the second time in twenty-four hours. They warped back to the living room where Discord summoned several items to the coffee table. He tossed a backpack at Korosensei who readily caught it despite a post-teleportation daze. “That will hold any amenities you feel are necessary.”

Korosensei rotated the backpack in his tentacles, a perplexed look on his face. Its size was ideal for use by students but laughably inappropriate for a continent spanning vacation. Upon peering inside, he found a purple void housed within the cloth exterior. “This is enchanted with some kind of spatial magic.”

“You catch on quick. Anyway, here’s a book which allows us to communicate, a map which tracks your position, a charm for cloudwalking and protection, as well as ten pouches containing cash for leisure expenses. There are a thousand bits in each.” Discord introduced the items in rapid succession before dumping them into the backpack. “Any questions?”

Korosensei’s jaw dropped. “W-Where did you acquire that much money?”

“My peppers are used for things other than pranking. They’re the heart of a small hot sauce company I founded in my spare time,” Discord gestured to a photo hanging on the wall. “The land which came with my title has a year-round growing climate for so I built a plantation there .”

“What title are you talking about?” Korosensei asked while examining the photo. It depicted a dirt path leading to a yellow stucco mansion. Clusters of palm trees loomed over the sloped tile roof while a pair of agave grew by front door. The adjacent fields were lined with countless rows of pepper plants.

Lord of Chaos isn’t mere self-aggrandizement,” Discord chuckled, leaning against the door. “It’s my official title within Equestria’s nobility. As for the money, I have few uses for it given my abilities but you’ll find plenty of buy. There are plenty of sweets in Equestria for you to indulge in.”

Visions of decadent desserts pranced through Korosensei’s mind. He wiped away a strand of drool and zipped around the room, stuffing his notes and special pillow into backpack. A faint violet glow shrouded the door as he giddily approached Discord. “Everything has been packed,” Korosensei glanced through the window at surreal landscape outside the house. “Um, how do I reach Equestria from here?”

Discord twisted the knob, allowing the door to swing open and sunlight to stream through it . Shielding his eyes, Korosensei crossed the gateway and emerged onto a verdant plain. A mountain range peered over the horizon while railroad tracks snaked through distant hills. Korosensei sighed contently, savoring the scent of wildflowers carried by the breeze. “So, this is Equestria. How serene.”

“Middle of nowhere to be precise, the ideal starting point for your vacation,” Discord announced from the doorway. “Pick any direction and you’ll hit a major city. North leads to the Crystal Empire, south to Canterlot, east to Manehatten, west to Vanhoover, so on and so forth. Before you depart, however, I must request that our association remain secret.”

Korosensei turned back to Discord, eyes narrowing in suspicion. “Any particular reason as to why?”

“Travelling between dimensions is a privilege exclusive to the Princesses,” Discord groused, his expression turning sour. “My acquisition of the mirror portal was fairly illegal. If they discovered my involvement, there will be…lectures. Hours upon hours of lectures” Discord paled, envisioning the horde of ponies prepared to savage him for the irresponsibility of his actions. Worst of all, he would face Fluttershy’s disappointed glare and scathing words. “You understand, right?”

“Of course, I understand completely,” Korosensei nodded, a sympathetic smile on his face as he remembered similar interactions with Karasuma.

“Excellent!” Discord clapped his hands together. “There’s nothing left to say but have fun.”

“I certainly will.” Korosensei rocketed into the sky, lancing through any cloud in his path. The shockwave from his lift-off sent waves cascading through the field.

Discord shut the door and jumped on to the sofa. Lounging comfortably, he conjured a bucket of popcorn while the enchanted map unfurled and a viewing portal formed above the table. Discord flicked a kernel into his mouth, grin widening as Korosensei’s destination became clear. “Let the games begin.”


Early morning sunlight bounced off the Crystal Empire’s shimmering architecture, painting the countryside with prismatic hues as Korosensei arrived at the ouutskirts. Descending onto a low lying cloud, he retrieved his guidebook from the backpack. Leafing through the pages until reaching the Crystal Empire’s section, he scanned tables detailing the guards’ routines and habits. Let’s see…I have at least an hour before the guards will convene at the stadium. Korosensei grinned widely, stowing the guidebook within his robe. "Plenty of time to indulge in some sightseeing and gastro-tourism…Nurufufufu." He vanished a second later, leaving behind scattered tufts of clouds and his laugh lingering on the wind.

Chocolat Praline slumped over her display case, staring listlessly at the glass door as scores of ponies past by her shop. This scene had become depressingly routine for Praline during her time living in the Crystal Empire, broken up by the scant customer that kept the store afloat. She slid on to the floor as her stomach growled and trotted to the pantry. Grasping a spare croissant with her telekinesis, Praline glanced at the family photo hanging on the wall. Maybe I should have listened to Mom and attended lawyer school. Praline shook her head, dispelling the though before biting into the croissant. She paused as a musty taste coated her mouth, only to quickly devour the remaining pastry in disgust.

Praline was caught off-guard by the front door swinging open, nearly choking on the last piece of her croissant. She clambered to the register, forcing a smile and breathlessly greeting the new customer. “Welcome to the Crystal Patisserie, Mr.-” Praline’s brain short-circuited as her eyes failed to comprehend the yellow creature gliding toward the display cases, tentacles squelching against the floor “Octopus…” She slumped atop the counter with a sullen expression on her face. I’ve finally gone insane and there’s nopony to blame but myself. This is what I get for starting everyday with an absinthe cocktail. Should have kicked the habit back in Prance.

“Excuse me, I’m ready to make a purchase,” Korosensei declared. When no response came, he turned to the morose unicorn. “Is everything alright, Miss?”

Praline stared at Korosensei with a glazed look in her eyes, contemplating whether to answer or continue wallowing in her misery. Might as well indulge in my newfound insanity. Letting out a heavy sigh, she trudged to the register. “It’s nothing. What would you like?”

“Everything,” Korosensei said dreamily, gesturing at the display cases with his tentacle. “How much would it cost?”

“Finally, somebody who appreciates my creations. These ponies wouldn’t recognize quality desserts unless it was shoved down their throats,” Praline laughed bitterly. “Anyway, your total comes to 750 bits. Cash, check, or credit?”

Korosensei rummaged around his backpack before retrieving the item he sought. A single brown pouch landed on the counter, bits spilling from its brim and tumbling to the floor. “Please, keep the change. I handle the packing.” In the moment when Praline blinked, Korosensei vanished and reappeared with a stack of cardboard containers. He carefully plucked and packaged the desserts as additional tentacles emerging from his baggy sleeves expedited the process, emptying the display cases with seconds.

While Korosensei crammed the boxes of dessert into his backpack, Praline’s attention was elsewhere. She raised one of the coins to eye level, scrutinizing it for imperfections.I never knew hallucinations could be so vivid. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say this was real. She bit into the coin, immediately wincing as teeth met with the gold alloy. The pain wasn’t able to subside before Praline’s mind brought the situation into sobering clarity. Wait a minute. If these bits are real, that means…

Korosensei glided to the front door, backpack slung over his shoulder. Praline’s voice rang out as his tentacle gripped the handle. “Hold-on! I didn’t catch your name!”

“You can call me Korosensei,” Korosensei replied, glancing over his shoulder before exiting the door. He was gone moments later, leaving a dust cloud and dumbfounded pedestrians in his wake.

“Korosensei, huh. Weird name. I could use more customers like him, though,” Praline remarked, smirking at her sudden windfall. Igniting her horn, she trotted toward the kitchen with the sack of bits levitating behind her.


Aside from hosting the Equestria Games and the seasonal hoofball playoffs, the Crystal Stadium was deserted for most of the year. The unused venue had been requisitioned as a training ground while the barracks were under repair. The arena proved a suitable replacement, comfortably allowing the displaced guards the freedom to stage mock battles. They clashed spears a while others honed their aim at targets on the stadium’s opposite side. Flash Sentry marched along field’s boundary, directing his subordinates’ action and correcting missteps whenever noticed.

Leaning against the exit of the player tunnel, Shining Armor observed his troops practice. In spite of the outward polish, some movements betrayed their weariness. He stared dejectedly at the ground while memories of the past year replayed in his mind. The dual failures against Chrysalis and Tirek weighed on his confidence like rusty anchors. The frequency of the drills had sapped much of the guards’ morale without much payoff. Rallying their spirits had transformed into a chore over the past two weeks.

Recalling Cadance’s words from yesterday, Shining Armor strode into the light with head raised high. “Attention!”

A stray helmet left on the ground foiled the guards’ attempt of swiftly entering formation. A single stallion tripped over it and collided with another guard. The process repeated itself to where the guards had cascaded into a massive pile. As they untangled limbs and armor pieces from each other and scrambled into columns, Flash Sentry shook his in disbelief. This is ridiculous. They’re in no state to train, let alone defend Equestria. Luckily, nothing exciting happens in the Crystal Empire.

“At ease, I have an announcement to make,” Shining Armor said as he stopped in front of the amassed guards. “We have been conducting a lot of practice drills lately. Some have say it has become a tad excessive-“ the guards collectively inhaled sharply “-and they are absolutely right.” Shining Armor lowered his gaze to the ground. “I’ve been grappling my insecurities through the increased drills which hasn’t worked out. It was wrong to overwork all of you because of personal hang-ups. As an apology, I’m suspending drill practice until further notice.”

Shining Armor was surprised at the announcement’s silent reception, excepting his men to break into cheers. Contrary to his expectations, they let out a brief gasp before breaking eye contact. Their nervous fidgeting and lip chewing only compounded Shining Armor’s confusion and frustration.

Flash Sentry cleared his throat. “Sir, it’s um…your helmet.”

Shining Armor furrowed his brow. “What does that have to do with anything?” At that moment, he notice the lack of weight on his neck. Shining Armor reached atop his head and pulled off a colorful jester hat, bells attached at the ends jingling under a slight breeze. He leveled at chilling glare at the guards. “Who is responsible for this?!”

“Nurufufufu…That would be me,” a voice called out. “While bottling up your emotions is dangerous, you shouldn’t allow them to cloud your judgement. A captain should lead with his head, not his heart. If you insist on making foolish decisions, maybe that hat is a more appropriate look for you!”

Shining Armor whipped around to the VIP Box where a yellow octopus lounged in Princess Luna’s throne. What in Equestria is that? He blinked several times and shook his head, scarcely believing his eyes before analyzing the situation. You know what? It doesn’t matter. He’s already broken the law so it’s within my authority to arrest him. Shining Armor steeled his resolve and stepped towards the intruder. “You’re currently within a restricted area. Identify yourself!” Emboldened by their captain’s courage, the guards matched his movement with spears raised.

“I’m merely a teacher who is enjoying a small vacation,” Korosensei replied between bites of an éclair. “I was under the impression that sports venues were open to the public.”

“You aren’t fooling anypony with that innocent act!” Shining Armor barked, igniting his horn. “You’re under arrest for interfering with royal guard activities and trespassing. Surrender peacefully, you have no way to escape.” The guards rapidly surrounded Korosensei from all angles, poised to strike the instant he moved a millimeter.

“I’m afraid that won’t be possible. My vacation days are limited so I can’t afford to waste them sitting in jail.” Korosensei vanished from the throne as numerous spears stabbed the air he previously occupied, reappearing next to Shining Armor. “Besides, you’re vastly overestimating your abilities.”

Shining Armor spun around and met Korosensei’s gaze, fuming at the insult to his already wounded pride. “This is the last time I’ll repeat myself. Surrender now or face the full might of the royal guard.”

Undaunted by the threat, Korosensei parted Shining Armor’s mane before returning the jester hat to his head. He smiled mockingly, green rings forming on his face. “I’ll take my chances.”

Shining Armor swatted the tentacle away and jumped away. “You were warned…”

The guards lobbed their spears into the air, blotting out the sun before arching toward Korosensei. Shining Armor watched silently as Korosensei remained motionless in the face of impending impalement, regret and doubt tugging on his heart. He brought this upon himself.

An assortment of flowers rained down upon Korosensei to the guards’ utter shock. He plucked a tulip from mid-air, savoring the aroma before tossing it aside. “I’ve heard that ponies were known for warm welcomes but this exceeded my expectations.”

Shining Armor’s jaw dropped. “What happened to the spears?!”

“I would recommend polishing your skills before handling such dangerous weapons.” The guards looked at their hooves and discovered their spears had returned, converted into makeshift mops. Korosensei held up the missing tips in his tentacle. “Somepony might end up getting hurt.”

The guards gaped in fascinated horror as Korosensei devoured the iron spearheads without flinching. “What sort of monster are we facing?”

“Don’t lose heart!” Flash Sentry shouted. “We still outnumber him, fifty-to-one! He can’t take us all at once!”

“I didn’t expect all of you to be gluttons for disappointment,“ Korosensei chuckled, drawing venomous glares from the guards. “However, I do admire the persistence. Give it your best shot but I wouldn’t hope to accomplish much.”

A dust cloud erupted as several guards lunged at Korosensei, only to collide with each other. Rising after the impact, they were greeted by numerous Korosensei clones flickering throughout the stadium’s field and bleachers. The guards broke into pairs and charged, determined to claim victory against the intruder. The Korosensei clones casually evaded their attacks while never allowing their mocking smiles to falter.

As the guards exhausted their tactics against Korosensei’s ghostly doppelgangers, Shining Armor reminisced about his career. It had been uneventful since Twilight and her friends dealt with most threats before they escalated. While the guards had failed against Tirek and the changelings, that only spurred Shining Armor to improve himself. Korosensei didn’t elicit the same type of response. The sheer lack of respect he demonstrated for the guards only fostered a burning resentment within Shining Armor. “I can’t imagine this situation becoming any more humiliating,” he said with eyes twitching violently.

“I would be so sure about that,” Flash added dourly. “He multitasking, so we aren’t even occupying his full attention.” He pointed to a Korosensei who casually shined a guard’s helmet in the midst of dodging his attacks. “On the bright side, your eyebrows have never looked better. ”

As the sound of snipping scissors intensified in his ears, Shining Armor reached his emotional limit. Years of mental training crumbled under a torrent of anger. "That's it! I will not be made a fool of!" Shining Armor's mane burst into azure flames, reducing the jester hat to cinders. He crushed a bell underneath his hoof as it rolled away from the hat’s smoldering remains.

Korosensei dumping a bucket of ice water on Shining Armor’s head did little to quell his hatred. To the contrary, it stoked the flames of rage growing with Shining Armor’s heart. They blossomed into a white-hot inferno as Korosensei drew off the moisture with a localized cyclone. “You shouldn’t be so quick to anger, Captain. What kind of example are you setting for your subordinates?” Korosensei chided, dressing Shining Armor in a new jester hat and outfit before protests could be raised. “Anyway, I saw that you were not fond of the bells so this hat should be more to your liking.” He tilted his head. “I didn’t realize the sleeves were so long. Let me fix that before you get hurt.”

"That tears it!” Korosensei jumped back as the enraged unicorn fired a bolt of ethereal energy directly upwards. Upon reaching its apex above the castle, the rose colored aura blanketed the sky and formed a translucent dome around the city. Crystal ponies in the middle of their commutes broke stride to marvel at the titanic display of magic.

Shining Armor grinned triumphantly as excess magic rippled across the barrier's surface. "That shield isn’t going anywhere unless I will it," he declared, slowly turning to face Korosensei. “You have nowhere left to run!”

Shining Armor gaped disbelievingly at Korosensei who seemed completely unfazed his current predicament. There wasn’t a trace of frustration, worry, or fear on his face, only the same mocking grin. Shining Armor stared blankly at him before letting out a chuckle. It swiftly escalated into a maelstrom of laughter which unnerved the guards. “I get it. The hopelessness of the situation has left you speechless but don’t worry,” Shining Armor said breathlessly as his horn ignited. “You’ll have plenty of time to talk in the dungeon!” A magical tendril shot out to snare the motionless Korosensei only to grasp slice through him.

Korosensei’s ghostly doppelganger maintained it smile as the body flickered, taunting the guards a final time before fading away. Shining Armor went limp and collapsed like a puppet with cut strings. After several minutes of silence, he began to snicker.

A heaviness crashed down on everypony within the stadium, guards exchanged worried looks, unsure of how to approach their distressed captain. Anypony who attempted to move felt their hooves turn to lead. Mustering up the necessary courage, Flash took a few tentative steps forward. "Um...Sir, are you feeling alright?"

Shining Armor bolted upright, whirling to meet his subordinate’s gaze. The guards recoiled in terror at the full extent of their captain`s descent into madness. His bloodshot eyes had worsened dramatically, painting the sclera a vivid crimson. A manic, toothy grin dominated the rest of face, spreading from ear to ear. In combination with his attire, he resembled a mental asylum escapee more closely than a member of the Equestrian royalty. Craning his neck to an unnatural degree, Shining Armor addressed his men. "Oh, fine. Just fine."

With one exception, everypony had leapt several feet away from Shining Armor. It wasn’t a conscious action on their part. Instinct had seized control of their bodies, self preservation overriding any sense of loyalty to their captain. Flash Sentry was alone in the expanse between Shining Armor and the other guards. He remained rooted in place, fighting his body’s pleas to flee. "You look a bit stressed out. Let's call it a day and get some lunch. How about some corndogs?" he offered, a tinge of desperation in his voice.

Shining Armor rose to his hooves and approached his lieutenant. Distance between the two quickly vanished as “Sounds like a plan! We just have to accomplish one thing first.”

“What would that be, sir?” Flash inquired, immediately regretting his decision.

“We’re going to find that octopus and toss him in the dungeon!” Shining Armor boomed in an oddly cheery tone, rising to his full height. “I’ll search the southern quarter while you guys handle the rest. Report back here in half an hour.”

Flash’s protests died in his throat upon witnessing Shining Armor’s next actions. In a series of cartwheels and backflips, he crossed the field and bounded through the bleachers. The guards watched with immense confusion as their captain gave a brief salute before diving off the stadium edge.

“Did anypony else know the captain could be so acrobatic?” a random guards remarked, breaking the silence.

Flash shook his head vigorously, shocked out of his stupor by sheer bluntness of his subordinate’s remark. “That’s what you have to say about all of this?!”

“What? I’m just saying that he could have won us the gold medal at Equestria Games with a performance like that,” he replied, raising his hooves defensively.

“Nevermind,” Flash grumbled, his voice dripping with barely disguised contempt. “Let’s get a move on! We have to find him before it’s too late!”

“Is there any point in trying? We couldn’t even lay on a hoof on the octopus,” another guard mumbled dejectedly.

“Forget about the octopus! It’s the captain that we have to worry about!” Flash shrieked. “Take a moment to consider what the captain is capable of doing in his current mental state!”

Blood drained from the guards’ faces as the dawning horror crashed down upon them like a ton of bricks. They snapped to attention and turned to face Flash who was already halfway to the southern exit. “I’ll try to head him off before he causes some major damage. Check the rest of the city in case he changed course. We have no idea how fast the captain is moving!”

Contrary to expectations, a magical dome enclosing the city did little to dampen the mood of its inhabitants. The crystal ponies were oddly unperturbed by the numerous strange occurences that befall Equestria on a monthly basis, likely a byproduct of living under King Sombra’s iron hoof. A millennium of stolen time had steeled their resolve to enjoy each day to the fullest.

This attitude was evident at a popular café located under the castle’s shadow. The air teemed with conversation as workers flooded the vacant tables and flipped through the menus. Waiters weaved between the tables, frantically jotting down orders before returning to the kitchen.

As his friend chattered about his vacation, a stallion found his gaze repeatedly wandering to the barrier enclosing the city. It wasn’t an uncommon sight but he couldn’t shake a feeling of unease. Bolts of excess magic crackled along it surface with unsettling frequency. “Don’t you think something’s off about the timing of the barrier coming up? We’re usually warned ahead of time or there’s an announcement afterwards…”

“You worry too much,” his friend replied with a dismissive wave. “If there was real danger, Prince Shining Armor would let us know. We can rely on him to keep the empire safe.” A waiter dropped their plates and check on the table without breaking stride. “Anyway, let’s dig in! We’ve only got a half-hour for our break.”

As the co-workers reached for their meals, a white unicorn leapt onto the table and crushed the food underneath his hooves. Anger at the loss of their meal was died quietly upon glancing over the intruder. He wore a yellow vest over a striped purple shirt with overly long sleeves. A green jester’s hat rested atop his head with a disheveled blue man poking out from the edges. He stared at the cowering ponies with blood-tinged eyes and a toothy grin, swaying from side to side.

“Sorry about crashing your lunch, gentlecolts,” Shining Armor leaned closer until the co-workers could feel his hot breath against their fur. “Tell me, you haven’t seen a giant flying yellow octopus pass by here, have you?”

Failing to muster any shred of courage or rationality, the co-workers defaulted to the fight or flight response. They chose the latter without hesitation, shrieking like school fillies on Nightmare Night while galloping away. The other patrons followed their example and scattered, knocking over tables and Shining Armor in a panic. He staggered to his hooves, finding the café deserted with plates of food strewn on the ground. Staff huddled behind the counter hoping to remain unnoticed. “I’ll take that as a no,” Shining Armor said quietly, breaking into manic laughter a moment later.

Shining Armor bounded to a nearby street with unbridled vigor. The crystal ponies retreated into their homes and barred doors as he bounced off the walls, yelling taunts at an unseen adversary. Tripping over sleeves while rounding the corner, Shining Armor slid across the crystalline road and collided with a street lamp.

Shining Armor groaned, massaging his aching head as a glimmer of clarity returned to his mind. Rationality seized the opportunity and wrestled back control, scanning the area for an identifiable landmark. None of the building were recognizable though a familiar sweetness hung in the air. The aroma of baking pastry stirred memories of wedding knight. Unfortunately, it also rekindled thoughts of the octopus who effortlessly humiliated him and the guards, allowing his madness to punch out rationality once again. He followed the aroma to a small shop with Crystal Patisserie emblazoned on its red canopy. “Now I have you!”

Chocolat Praline worked diligently to refill her shop’s stock unaware of the pandemonium occurring outside. A content smile graced her face in spite of the heavy workload. Life in the Crystal Empire was undoubtedly peaceful but itself was the problem. Days would often pass by with only a few customers and paltry sales. However, it was Korosensei and customers like him that reminded her why she became a patissier in the first place. Nothing brought her more joy than seeing someone enjoying her creations.

As Praline slid a fresh batch of choux dough into the oven, the doorbell signaled the arrival of a potential customer. She wiped off the stray flour sticking to her face, straightened her chef hat, and exited the kitchen. "Welcome to the Crystal Patisserie, home of the best pastries in the Empire," Praline beamed, trotting up to the front counter. “How may I serve you…Prince Shining Armor?!”

The prince had clearly seen better days, resembling an asylum escapee better than one of Equestria's greatest heroes. Accidently stepping on and tearing off his sleeves, he tumbled through the doorway. “Sorry to interrupt!” He flashed a toothy grin while splayed on the floor. “Have you by any chance seen a talking, yellow octopus around here?”

“You mean Korosensei?” Praline asked, blinking rapidly in surprise. “He stopped by earlier today and bought out my entire stock. Best customer I’ve had in ages.”

“So he was here!” Shining Armor lunged forward, leaning over the counter until his he was millimeters away from Praline’s face. “Tell me! Where did he go? What are his plans? Are you hiding him?”

Praline’s smile slipped off her face at the sudden invasion of personal space. She extended a hoof and shoved the deranged prince off the counter. “How would I know any of that? He was just a customer. Our contact ended the second he flew out my door.”

Shining Armor sprung to his hooves, undaunted by Praline’s declaration of innocence. He scanned the room, eyes darting from object to object before fixating on the door leading to the kitchen. Praline’s word echoed throughout his clouded mind, gradually distorting into a denial of guilt. “You’re hiding him in the back, aren’t you? Step aside and let me investigate!”

“Alright, that enough!” Praline brandished a nearby rolling pin with her magic. “Royalty or not, I’m done indulging your insanity. I have a business to run so either place an order or leave my shop!”

“I see that force will be necessary,” Shining Armor snarled from a low crouch. He leapt toward the counter with eyes twitching . Pale blue magic halted Shining Armor in mid-air, leading to a display of impotent limb flailing before he was tossed into a corner. “Who dares…” The red mist clouding his thoughts cleared away upon seeing the pony in the doorway, replaced by a creeping dread.

“Shiny, dear, care to explain just what in Equestria is going on?” Princess Cadance asked calmly as the door shut behind her. Narrow eyes cast judgement on Shining Armor who shrunk back.

“Well, there’s this giant octopus who appeared from nowhere in the stadium,” Shining Armor stammered out.

“An octopus,” Cadance stated flatly. “Those eight-armed animals who can only survive in water. Specifically, salt water of which the closest source is the Celestial Sea over five-hundred miles away. That kind of octopus?”

“Yes, but this octopus was different! He was dressed in graduation regalia and could talk and fly and multiply himself and…and..and you don’t believe a word of what I’ve just said, do you?” Shining Armor deflated, hanging his head in defeat.

“No, I believe you. Equestria is a weird place and I’ve learned not to rule out anything,” Cadance replied, her expression softening for a moment. “However, I do take issue with your methods. Capturing this supposed octopus is one thing. Disturbing the peace and threatening an innocent baker is something else entirely!"

"I'm a patissier!" Praline interjected. "I didn't spend six years studying the pastry arts in Prance to be called a baker! Thank you very much!"

Diverting attention from her husband, Cadance glared at the unicorn resting behind the counter. Praline reciprocated the gesture with equal intensity, hard determination etched into her face. Minutes passed by as neither pony backed downed, locked in a stalemate of wills. Shining Armor remained in the corner, not daring to move a muscle lest he draw the ire of two angry mares.

The patisserie’s front door burst open, revealing a flustered Flash Sentry. He bolted toward the center of the room with wings twitching at his sides. “Excuse me, has anypony seen Captain Shining Armor?!”

“Flash, perfect timing!” Cadance broke her stalemate with Praline. “Please escort Shining Armor back to the castle while I smooth things over with the owner.”

“That’s not going to be easy,” Flash Sentry gestured to the glass window where a congregation of anxious ponies stood several feet away. ”They waiting for you to drag the ‘clown maniac’ to the dungeon. Fortunately, they haven’t recognized his identity…yet.”

Cadance fell to her haunches and massaged her temples. “Ok, any suggestions on how to resolve this situation without creating a PR nightmare?” She felt whispers of an oncoming migraine as Shining Armor and Flash Sentry replied with shrugs.

“If it gets you out of my shop faster, there’s a backdoor where I receive my deliveries. It leads to the alleyways where nopony should see you,” Praline chimed in.

“Excellent!” Cadance sprang to her hooves. “Shiny! Flash! Get back to the castle and clean yourselves up. Until I fully understand what happened at the stadium, both of you are suspended from guard duty. Am I clear?”

“Crystal!” The stallions replied in unison before scurrying through the doorway like scolded fillies.

Cadance turned back to Praline. “I’m deeply sorry for the trouble my husband has caused. Can I repay you in any way?”

“Just make sure no bad press comes to my shop. I can’t have business get worse,” Praline swapped her rolling pin for a rag. She polished the countertop until a hazy reflection of the room was visible.

Cadance wrinkled her nose as an acrid smell wafted into the storefront. “Is something burning?”

Praline’s eyes nearly bugged out of her head. “My choux dough!” She dropped her rag and rushed back to the kitchen without another word.

Upon exiting the Crystal Patisserie, Cadance was inundated by shouts and questions from the crowd. She plastered on a bright smile and addressed their concerns. “Settle down, everypony! You’ll be happy to hear the clown has been captured with the shop owner unharmed. There’s nothing else to see here, so please move along.”

The crowd’s skepticism was palpable with Cadance’s smile growing strained under their collective gaze. It was a tense few minutes as murmurs of doubt broke out among ponies before they finally dispersed. As the last pony disappeared around the street corner, Cadance let out an exasperated sigh before heading back to the castle. “I understand why Auntie Celestia drinks heavily on some days,” she glanced at her belly. “I can’t afford that luxury now.”

Resting atop a cloud several hundred meters outside the city limits, Korosensei brushed the dirt off his coat as Shining Armor's dome dissipated into thin air. "I was lucky the barrier didn’t extend underground.” Korosensei rummaged through his backpack and retrieved the map. “I may have been overdone it a bit," he mused while plotting his travel route. “These ponies are more sensitive than I expected. I’ll have to be careful not to overwhelm them next time.” With destination in mind, Korosensei launched into the air and rocketed away from the Crystal Empire, scattering clouds in his wake.


Thousands of years before the first brick of Canterlot was laid down, Celestia and Luna stood at the crossroads of destiny. They had wondered through the future wilds of Equestria for years before stumbling upon the three tribes. The tribal leadership recognized sisters’ potential and formed a council of their brightest scholars to aid the newly crowned princesses in building their country.

Due to the Princesses’ lack of experience, the council acted as Equestria’s de facto leadership during its formative years. They hammered out trade agreements with neighboring kingdoms while the alicorn sisters thwarted Tirek and other rogues from wiping the fledgling nation off the map. Members wielded both prestige and power in equal measure, occupying the highest social strata with authority only the Princesses could question. Lineages of nobility were born as the elderly members passed their seats to their offspring. Generations of council members would reap the benefits of their position until a single event caused a massive shift in the political landscape.

The banishment of Princess Luna altered the development of Equestria in multiple ways. The most immediate consequence was the need for a new capital brought about by the Castle of Two Sisters’ partial destruction. The construction of Canterlot was a labor of love for Princess Celestia, a project which distracted from the feelings of guilt, betrayal, and isolation which plagued her mind. Planning out each city block allowed Celestia to steel herself for the burden of ruling a diarchy alone.

Abrupt departures from several council families during transitional period threw the government into disarray. Pegasi and Earth pony representatives decided to abdicate their positions and focus on leading the fledgling communities of Cloudsdale and Fillydelphia. Unicorns of lesser nobility capitalized on the power, motivated by a desire for greater political influence. These dreams crumbled to dust upon their first meeting in the new capital.

Princess Celestia ushered in her solo rule by dispatching an envoy to the Dragon Lord without waiting for the council’s approval. The move demonstrated a boldness which nopony had ever witnessed from Princess Celestia provided her reliance on her advisors’ guidance. A heavy atmosphere loomed over Canterlot as the citizens anxiously awaited news of the meetings outcome. Grumblings of discontent spread as nobles questioned Celestia’s ability to rule. The envoy’s safe return and subsequent negotiations solidified public trust in the Princess’s judgement while ensuring the council’s decline from power.

Princess Celestia was soon left without an outlet to manage her stress. Working alongside the architects and contractors provided her with a blissful distraction from life in an empty castle. Upon the city’s completion, there was no escape from the mountain of paper work awaiting in her chambers. Relief came from an unexpected source when she visited the bakery of a nearby village.

As far back as she could remember, Princess Celestia had an appreciation for all thing sweet. Pies, tarts, cookies, puddings and meringues were all favorites to her heart but cake was dearest to her heart. This love allowed her to cope with the combined stresses of bureaucracy and isolation though it couldn’t never fully satisfy her. While awaiting the village delegation`s arrival, the bakery staff regaled Princess Celestia with stories of their creative process. It illuminated a side of the pastry arts which had never crossed her mind, planting an idea which Celestia acted upon returning to the castle.

Despite their proximity to Equestria’s monarch, most ponies who dwelled within the castle barely interacted with Princess Celestia. Exceptions being the guards and lone scribe who flanked her at all times. Other staff members diligently performed their assigned tasks, never deviating from their assigned work areas with only the occasional glimpse of her flowing ethereal tail while she travelled between the throne room and her private chambers. Located away from trafficked corridors and meeting halls, the kitchen existed as an island within the castle. Communications from Princess Celestia were handled exclusively by the sudden materialization of paper scrolls, though the impersonal nature of the requests didn’t bother the chefs. They were content in serving their food to royalty.

Imagine the chefs’ surprise when Princess Celestia strolled into the kitchen while they prepared for the next day’s breakfast service. Shock was replaced by curiosity when they noticed she was not wearing her regalia, an undersized chef’s hat taking the place of her crown. She tied an undersized apron around her neck and trotted around the kitchen, gathering bowls and measuring cups with her telekinesis. The next hour was an exercise in restraint for the staff as Celestia perpetrated every amateur mistake in the book. In spite of her unmitigated disaster of a cake, she left the kitchen in high spirits.

It marked the beginning of a routine when Celestia returned As she repeated the mistakes from last time, the staff intervened and aided her in baking something that could be classified as edible. A rapport developed as Celestia’s ability grew with subsequent visits. The barrier dividing princess and employees eroded further over the months, forging bonds which have endured for generations.

However, members of the council were not content in becoming vestiges of a bygone era in Equestrian history. They were prepared to capitalize on Princess Celestia’s love of the confectionary arts to maintain a hold on power…


Upon crossing the debate hall’s vestibule, Princess Celestia entered a realm where the Canterlot nobility held equal footing with her. It was an odd sensation which had grown tedious over decades of meeting with the entitled brats. The noble families of Canterlot were descendants from members of the royal council during the post-banishment years. Unlike their ancestors, however, these nobles only provided assistance when it enriched their lives. They lounged among vacant plush seats, basking in their own radiance when Celestia’s appearance brought a smirk to their faces.

“Princess Celestia, late as usual to this very sacred of meetings!” shouted one of the nobles, a orange unicorn bearing a stiff yellow mane. Clad in a navy business suit and tie, he sat near the window with a scowl plastered on his face.

“Nice to see you could attend, Golden Showers,” Celestia said with her usual politeness. She felt a trickle of satisfaction as the stallion fumed, flailing his limbs in vague gestures.

“It’s Golden Towers! Those rumor are fake! I’ve never even been to Stalliongrad”-the unicorn ranted before smiling indulgently -“but if I did, it would tremendous! Those ponies love me and we would make great deals, the best deals!”

"The best deals," Celestia deadpanned, raising an eyebrow. "Remind me again, how are your casinos doing?" She stifled a chuckle as Golden Towers' bluster crumbled and his stare turned venomous. While deflating his ego had little benefit, Celestia didn't care. It was the only thing which made these meetings less agonizing.

Celestia was renowned for her patience and willingness to listen, skills cultivated over decades of negotiations. With a few exceptions, those granted who Celestia granted an audience to were treated with unfailing politeness and respect. The Canterlot nobles’ insatiable greed had cemented their spot among that group. However, Celestia hated how the nobles had orchestrated the debates above all else.

A stone pedestal near Celestia's throne housed the reason why she returned to the debate hall every month. A plate of miniature cakes rested beneath its glass dome. Oval in shape with waxy pink skin, they were visually unimpressive compared to the standards of Equestrian desserts but appearance didn't matter to Celestia. The cakes' unique texture and flavor were enough to capture her adoration which the nobles exploited to their advantage.

A cloud of dispassionate loathing hung over Celestia’s head as she trudged to her seat, dragging her hooves the entire way. She paused at the pedestal bearing the objections of her love and hate. Thousands of hours. Hundreds of experiments. An entire network of spies. So many resources devoted to uncovering the secret behind these wonderful treats yet I have nothing! How is that even possible?! Where in Equestria did the nobles find this recipe and how in Tartarus are they hiding it?! She placed a hoof on the glass, cursing her inability to refuse the miniature desserts.

“Remember our arrangement, Princess,” called out one of the nobles, a stallion bearing a meticulously groomed mustache. “Listen to our recommendations, then you can eat the cakes.”

“And what’s stopping me from sending all of you to the Moon?” Celestia asked plainly, straightening her posture.

A chorus of laughter erupted within the debate hall and reverberated off its domed ceiling. The sheer smugness carried in their voices unnerved the guards positioned near the entrance. As the laughter faded and tears were wiped away, one of the mares flashed a wolfish grin obscured partially by her ornate fan. “Please, we know you won’t do it. Your conscience wouldn’t allow it. Besides, we’re the only ponies with knowledge of the cake recipe. Banishing us means losing it forever. You certainly don’t want that to happen.”

"That's right! Spineless Celestia would never do anything to risk losing her precious cake!" Golden Towers sneered, earning cheers from the other nobles.

Celestia grit her teeth, choking back a torrent of bile and expletives. Centuries of acquiescing to their self-serving demands had nursed a burning resentment for the nobles. She wished for nothing more than a chance to punch the smug looks from their faces, the desire for immediate gratification outweighing the consequences. Expelling the anger with a sharp exhale, she marched to her throne.

“Very well,” Celestia sighed, sinking lower with head resting in hoof. “Let’s get this over with.” She nodded at the guards who left room while the nobles mugged triumphantly and prepared their folders.

As the perimeter was being secured, Celestia gazed out the window, hoping for a crisis to befall the city and demand her intervention. She wasn’t proud of the thoughts but the monthly desserts ransoms had frayed her nerves. I’d take another changeling invasion at this point. Those hopes were dashed by a single glace at the picturesque cityscape where citizens strolled the cobbled streets without care.

The sky presented an equally serene image with pegasi and songbirds soaring between the clouds. Blinking once, she was greeted by a different scene as a strong gust rattled the windows. Several clouds had scattered with pegasi exchanging baffled looks. Celestia craned her neck for a better angle of the strange occurrence and possible escape route. That ember of hope was snuffed out by the rapping of a folder against wood.

Celestia jerked her head back, catching an impatient glare from the mare waiting in front of the podium. “Whatever happened outside, it can wait. There are some decrees which we believe require review.” Murmurs from the other nobles echoed her sentiment.

Celestia groaned internally, wings twitching in agitation. It’s days like today that drive me to drink.