• Published 11th May 2015
  • 14,023 Views, 3,289 Comments

Secrets of a Royal Guard - Anzel



Life has never been better for Silent Knight, but he finds himself shackled to the past by guilt, anger, and regret. Even though he tries to hide his true feelings from those he loves, he knows that the secrets he keeps will come at a cost.

  • ...
23
 3,289
 14,023

PreviousChapters Next
41. Commitment?

I arrived at the fancy condominium building late and let myself into Crystal’s place. With so many ponies out, I was right back in my old position of staying long past my normal hours. If officers even had normal hours.

Crystal looked up from the couch and said in an even tone, “Your dinner is cold.”

I nodded. “I’m not surprised. I hope you didn’t wait.”

“I did for a little while and then went ahead. Long day?”

As I removed my armor, I nodded. “Yeah. Finally found a new sergeant, most of the unit is still sick, and other things like that. I’m also planning a trip for Princess Luna, so that has me busy. How’re you?”

The mare stood and went to the kitchen to start heating up whatever it was she had made. “I’m fine.”

My ears flicked. “Fine, huh?”

“Yes, fine,” she repeated before setting a plate heavily on the counter.

I knew enough about mares to know that ‘fine’ meant ‘not fine,’ but I didn’t know enough to know what to do about it. Ignoring it seemed bad, though, so I lingered by the kitchen and said, “You seem angry.”

“No, I’m not angry. You’re late again. I just thought that was over.”

“It was, for the other things. I’m not sure it will ever be over though. That is part of my job.” She was angry. There was no doubt about that.

Crystal dumped the food from the skillet onto a plate. Zucchini and broccoli. She’d made one of my favorites. Had I missed something important again?

“I understand,” she said before levitating the plate over to me.

I took it and set it on the table. “Do you, honey?”

“What?” she asked, looking over at me.

“Do you understand?”

“What sort of question is that?” She huffed. “Of course, I understand! You are an important pony, you don’t control your schedule, and you had to work late again. That’s life.”

Did she, though? I wasn’t convinced of that. It was time to have the talk I’d been dreading. Putting it off any longer would just make it worse. “Right.”

“Right! Of course it’s right,” she half-snapped back.

“Crystal, I’m sorry about being late and putting you through this repeatedly. I think it’s time we had an honest conversation.”

Crystal froze where she stood and slowly turned towards me. Her jaw was set, the frustration written on her face. This was the moment. This was the point where I had to show her the reality of our situation.

“Alright. What do you want to talk about?” she replied in a strained tone.

That was far more of a loaded question that she knew. “This, everything. Me being late. My job. All of it.” I gestured widely with a hoof.

“What about it?”

“How long are you going to be fine with me coming home late? We’ve only been together a little while and I’m already missing dinner, skipping important events, and other things for my job. And you’re already upset.”

“I’m not upset!” Crystal said, her voice louder than normal. It then lowered as she added, “I would just like to know where my stallion is.”

“Look, I know it is frustrating… and it will only get worse. Stratus was never around when we needed him and, when he was, I’m not sure that was much better.”

Crystal waved a hoof at me. “You’re not your father. You’re not going to strike our foals in some strange warrior tradition to make them tough.”

With a soft sigh, I shook my head. “I’m not sure you’re listening, Crystal. I’m saying, if you’re frustrated now, imagine how you’ll feel later. Maybe… maybe you’d like to reconsider your answer.”

The unicorn’s eyes widened and she gasped. “How dare you!”

“I’m just trying to look out for you.”

“Look out for me? How dare you!” she repeated.

“Crystal, my job is always going to be a big part of who I am. That means leaving on short notice, long hours, and maybe even being killed. I’m not sure that is the kind of life for a pony like you.”

The mare crossed the condo to glare at me up close. “A pony like me? How dare you!”

For a moment, I was concerned I’d broken her. She just kept saying the same thing over and over. I opened my mouth and she stuffed a hoof over it.

“Don’t you dare! I’m sorry if I’ve been a little upset about you being gone so much, but you have been gone a lot lately! More than I think you ever have, and before you decide for me what kind of pony I am, maybe you should ask me!”

I tried to respond but her hoof held firm. “When you were in that hospital, I was so scared! I didn’t know how your mom could be so calm. You were dying, Silent Knight! You were dying and yes, I thought about running away, but I didn’t.

“No, I decided right then and there I would be tough. That it was worth loving you, all of you, regardless of the risks. So how dare you come into my home and suggest I’d be better off without you!”

My ears folded back and she finally moved her hoof. I said meekly, “I could die.”

“Yes. Yes, you could. Don’t imagine me to be some weak little mare, though. I’m prepared for that.”

“Are you really?” I asked, skepticism bleeding into my tone.

Her eyes filled with tears again and she bit out, “Of course not! Nopony could be! But I am prepared to be prepared to try, and I want the chance. Don’t you walk away from me thinking it will be for the best. I’ve worked too hard for this and love you too much.”

“I think you’re making a mistake,” I replied softly.

“Then it is mine to make! Do you really want to walk away from me?”

I shook my head. “Of course not, but I want what’s best for you.”

“You’re what is best for me! Do you know how much effort I’ve put in becoming a good officer’s wife? Do you realize how many horrible events I’ve had to endure for you? Do you really think I’d go through all of that if I wasn’t sure? If I didn’t love you?”

I blinked and then said plainly, “I never asked you to do any of that.”

Crystal sputtered, and her mouth opened. It worked a few times before she finally managed, “I… but… you…”

This was ridiculous. Was she serious? “I, what? Couldn’t care less about social appearances outside of my professional career?”

She blinked several times. “But a proper wife!”

“According to who?”

Her cheeks flushed red and she looked away after a moment of thought. “Okay, fine, point taken. It doesn’t change the facts, though! Do not change the subject! I’m not giving up on you… and you… well, you’ll just have to be as careful as you can be.”

“If I have to give it all up to do my job, I’m going to, Crystal. You have to understand that.”

She softly set her hoof over my heart and nodded. “I’m not sure I can understand, but I can accept it. Just… don’t put yourself in undue risk, okay? You don’t have to do that. You don’t have to go out there and look for some sort of glorious death.”

I shook my head. “No, I don’t have to.”

She nodded. “Then don’t. Just do what you have to and think about coming home to me. Okay?”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes! Quit asking. If I change my mind, I’ll let you know. Not the other way around.”

This was not the way I’d thought the conversation would go. She wanted to stick by me and even though I knew it was a mistake, I wanted her to stay. The thought of losing her hurt.

I stared at her in awe. Crystal was petite, but there was a fire in her spirit. It raged behind her beautiful eyes. Our life together had not been easy, but she never gave up. She always moved forwards.

She also had weird ideas sometimes. I shifted the topic back a bit and asked, “Why did you think I’d want you to go to all of those events? I’d have much rather had you around.”

Crystal sighed and just shook her head. “I was assuming things… who knows. I’ll stop going. That will make your schedule easier. It will give me more time to write, too.”

“Yeah. And once ponies are well, I’ll try to keep some regular hours.”

“Okay,” she whispered, setting her head against mine. “I just want to get married and live happily ever after.”

I chuckled softly and set a hoof over hers. “I think all the work starts after you get married.”

“Probably… but we have to get that far at least.”

I nodded and then my ear twitched. “So set a date. If you’re determined to marry me, then let’s just get married.”

Crystal blinked and looked up at me. “Seriously?”

“Of course. Pick a date and start planning.”

The mare stood in silence for a moment before she nodded resolutely. “Well, okay, then. I’ll start planning.”

“Good. Let me know how it goes,” I said teasingly.

“Let you know? Where are you going to be?”

“Well… unfortunately, Haven. We can talk about that later, though. Tell me about your dream wedding.”

There was a moment of trepidation before Crystal giggled. “I want it to happen in a rose garden.”

Mindful Soul’s office was very different from Crossroads’s. It had the bookcases, sure, but they made up the outside border. The center area was wide open with a few pillows and a couple of balls to sit on. She also had more windows, but they were high up, so there was no need to shade them.

There were a few plush pony dolls, too. Maybe that’s why Azurite liked Mindful Soul so much. She could come, get therapy, and play with dolls. Azurite struck me as the type of ponies to like dolls.

“Silent Knight?” Mindful Soul asked in a soft but even tone.

“Hmm?”

“Do you like the stuffed animals?”

“Oh, they’re nice. I was thinking about my… I think she’s my niece? Or something. My sister’s marefriend’s little sister. She’d like these. Especially that green one.”

Mindful Soul chuckled and nodded. “Well, I see fillies and colts, too. The stuffed animals help ease their anxiety, but they are not exclusively for little ponies. Mares and stallions are welcome to hold them, and many do. They are my assistants.”

I picked up the green one. “Fair enough.”

“My colleague’s notes say you were most insistent about seeing me. Why?”

I looked Mindful Soul over. She wasn’t exactly what I’d expected, honestly. She was a very thin unicorn, so delicate that I imagined a stiff wind could blow her away. Her coat had a sheen to it and was a rich purple color. By contrast, her mane was almost white and was cut so that it hung no lower than her jaw.

“You came highly recommended,” I replied.

“He does, too. Why me?”

“You treat Azurite and she seems like she’s doing pretty well. If you can help a sweet mare like that deal with killing a pony, I should be easy. Although, in hindsight, I imagine Azurite likes the dolls, which may be why she likes you.”

Mindful Soul kept an even expression, betraying nothing. She’d have been an excellent guard. “It doesn’t exactly work that way, Lieutenant Knight… or, if you prefer, Silent Knight.”

“Silent Knight.”

“I see. So that we can be less formal?”

“You’re not a guard. There’s no sense in it. Unless you want me to call you Doctor Soul.”

“I don’t. Formality has its place in the Guard, but not here. Now, speaking about you being here. I see you are having grief over losing ponies. Maybe some anger issues, too?”

I flinched. “That’s what Orchid says, yes.”

Mindful Soul’s brow arched. “And you disagree?”

“No, not really. It does seem weird to me that somepony can just say I have issues so casually.” I waggled the pony doll in my hooves. “Oh, it is just this and that. Like… oh, the sky is blue and grass is green.”

“I see. And you feel like it isn’t that simple. You’re unique.”

I looked up at her. “Shouldn’t I feel that way?”

“Of course. Just because you have common symptoms doesn’t mean you have to be treated in a generalized way. I treat all of my patients uniquely.”

“Fair enough.”

“You don’t like therapy, do you?” she asked rather pointedly.

I shook my head. “Not really. My family is private and prideful. I didn’t like Orchid and Princess Luna arranging this without consulting me. I feel… betrayed by them.”

“Would you have come on your own?”

My ear flicked. “Unlikely.”

“Well, there you go. The betrayal, as you say, was necessary in their minds. So, why don’t you like therapy?”

I shrugged as I shifted the doll from one hoof to the other. “Therapy seems unnatural. I come here and talk about my problems while some other pony sits there, takes notes, and judges me.”

Mindful Soul crackled a small smile. “I’m not going to sit here and judge you. I’m going to help you get better, just like any other doctor, assuming you let me. If you fight me the whole way, it is going to take a lot longer, if at all.”

“I’m not trying to be combative. It just keeps coming out,” I said with a sigh. “You seem very nice.”

“Thank you. Why don’t we take it slow? I’ve read through your file. You’ve had an incredibly fast and impressive career. That is a lot of stress for a young pony.”

“My father trained me from a very young age for this career.” I tried not to frown. “I can deal with the stress.”

“Well… you say that, but as I mentioned before, you’re still grieving over the loss of your subordinates. You’re also struggling with sudden bouts of anger. We need to teach you to deal with those issues better so you can do your job and keep building out this impressive file.”

“Right. Well, just tell me how to do that and I’ll be on my way, then.”

Mindful Soul softly chuckled. “Silent Knight, I can’t just give you a magic pill or spell. It takes work. Now tell me, why has it taken you so long before these problems were noticed by your associates? You’ve managed to keep it hidden for a year without consequence. Then suddenly your behavior became erratic enough to be noticed? No… something set you off. What was it?”

Well, perhaps there was something to her after all. I looked her in the eye. “You’re very good.”

She shrugged. “Don’t stall.”

“Sure, sure.” I set the doll on my hoof and tried to get its floppy limbs to settle into a proper sit. “I ended up in another battle. Some of my ponies were injured, and I killed several enemy soldiers.”

Mindful Soul took a moment to flip through my folder. “Forgive me, but I don’t see anything like that in here. Nor am I aware of enemy soldiers presently in our kingdom.”

“You wouldn’t. It was off the books. A classified operation.”

“I see… and the House Guard typically conducts clandestine operations that result in combat?”

I shook my head. “Not usually, no.”

“Why an exception here, then?”

“I orchestrated an operation with an Equestrian Intelligence Service agent to locate the gryphon that attacked Princess Luna. We found him and his soldiers, tricked them into coming to Equestria, and then ambushed them. I killed him myself with my own sword.”

Not just my own sword, but the sword Runic had given me. My chest tightened at that thought. Such a special gift, now stained with blood.

“Interesting. You and this agent must be really good to do that.”

I shrugged. “She’s really good at her job, I guess. I’m pretty good at mine, too. My plan was excellent. They never saw us coming.”

Mindful Soul took a few more notes and looked off towards one of the windows for a moment. “Command ordered this?”

“No.”

“Ah. You could lose your career for this depending on if that agent was running this officially. Are you sure that isn’t what set you off?”

I shook my head. “I don’t think so. Honestly, that is the least of my worries. Some young ponies got hurt because I took them with us. One of them saved my life, but she had to kill a gryphon to do it. She didn’t take that well.”

“Guilt, then. Or should I say, more guilt?”

“Yeah… the first time, I lost three ponies that were directly under my command. Seven others as well who had no business being there. Palace guards…”

Her ear flicked. “You weren’t in command.”

My grip tightened on the doll and I felt its stuffing shift against my hoof. One of its limbs puffed up from the increase in volume. “They were my ponies. I was the section NCO. I don’t want to argue semantics. You can’t convince me that just because I wasn’t the officer responsible that I am somehow absolved. This has always been my unit. They were my guards.”

Mindful Soul steepled her hooves. “Oh, don’t underestimate me… but I understand. So, you believe this is all about you losing ponies and ponies getting hurt. It has nothing to do with you being hurt or having to kill.”

“Yes?” I avoided looking at her to instead try to get the doll’s limb back to its normal size, squeezing so the extra stuffing returned to its proper place. It wasn’t the doll’s fault, after all.

“Killing him had nothing to do with the fact that he hurt you?”

“Of course it did. That isn’t the only reason I did it, though.”

She asked pointedly, “Isn’t it?”

“No. You can believe what you like, but that wasn’t the sole reason. This wasn’t a revenge killing.”

“I don’t believe anything. Tell me why. Elaborate how this wasn’t revenge.”

“He killed ponies, and I didn’t trust the gryphons to punish him. He attacked Princess Luna, and there is no forgiving that. While he was alive, he was a threat to her and a threat to others. He had to be put down.”

“I shall root out and remove all threats to her security and ensure her wellbeing for the good of all ponies,” Mindful Soul quoted as she took a few notes.

“Yes. I removed the threat.”

Mindful Soul nodded and then motioned. “Why did it have to be you? You and your EIS agent could have turned it over to the proper authorities to execute the plan. Why you?”

“That is because… I guess. I mean…”

“Yes?”

I relented with a sigh. She had me there. “I guess that part was revenge. I thought if I killed him myself it would…”

She looked over at me. “It would what?”

I shook my head. I could feel the anger starting to catch fire, a spark against a flimsy piece of paper that was my self-control lately.

“It would what, Silent Knight? Why did it have to be you?”

The paper went up in flames. “I thought I’d be free of him! I always felt him looming over me. If I did it myself, I’d overcome it and be free. No more weakness, no more feeling sorry for myself. I beat him. It wasn’t even a contest. For a year, I’d prepared. It was all over so quick. I won the battle!”

“And?” she pressed.

My hoof clenched tight around the doll and started trembling. “And it didn’t matter! Things only got worse. I got more ponies hurt and my ponies are still dead. I failed them as a leader. What do I have to do to make it right for them? How do I do my job if I can’t even get over ponies being injured?”

Mindful Soul set her notes aside and stood. She approached me, set the squished doll aside, and took my hooves in hers. “You did not fail before. If it wasn’t for you, more ponies would have died. Maybe even the princess. Your judgment was impaired, but you did not fail. You removed a perceived threat.”

“Blood doesn’t wash off, and there is a lot of my ponies’ blood on these hooves. I’m just at the start of my career. How many more will I have on me before it’s over?”

The unicorn lifted them up and looked them over. “Emotional wounds can’t be fixed, Silent Knight. They can, however, be mitigated and sometimes made into strengths. If you really think you have too much blood on these hooves, why bother carrying on as a guard?”

I stared at her. “What else would I do? I don’t know how to do anything else. I’m a warrior. I should be strong enough to be a warrior that can get past these things. You can’t have weak ponies in my line of work. Those are the ponies that don’t make it.”

She squeezed my hooves. “I don’t think you’re a weak pony because you have feelings. You shouldn’t, either.”

I snorted. “Alright, I’ll try. What do I do?”

“To start, you come and see me. Often, for now. You went pretty extreme with your reaction to your grief and injury.” There was a hint of a smile on her muzzle. “You don’t do anything halfway, do you?”

“My father always taught me to finish a mission.”

Mindful Soul let my hooves go and stood. Lightly, she patted my head. “Well, the mission just started, soldier. We’re in this for the long haul. See you in two days.”

“Yes, ma’am,” I replied.

The large red doors that separated the Unicorn Temple grounds from Canterlot loomed in front of me. Nopony was waiting for me this time. Perhaps, for once, the exemplar hadn’t known I was coming. To be fair, I hadn’t been sure I was going to, either.

I knocked three times and waited. It wasn’t long before the door opened, and to my surprise, Tranquil Dusk peered out at me. “Hello, Silent Knight.”

The sight of her sent a shiver along my spine and, for a moment, I couldn’t speak. When I found my composure, the words that fell out of my mouth were, “Please tell me you’re not having visions now, too.”

She shook her head. “Oh, no. The exemplar said you might benefit from seeing me, though.”

“Well…” I shifted. “I did come to see you. May I come in?”

She stepped back and replied, “Of course. You are always welcome in this place.”

I sighed and walked through the door. “You’re starting to sound like her.”

“True, I am. If you spend as much time with her as I do, it sort of happens, I think. Why have you come?”

The garden was peaceful and quiet. I hadn’t been inside the grounds in a while. Slowly, I started to trot down my usual path, and Tranquil fell in beside me. I wasn’t eager to talk yet, but hiding from it wouldn’t be right.

“You didn’t respond to my notes,” I said finally. “And I should have checked on you sooner.”

“You put me in good hooves, and I did not want to see or hear from you.”

“I’m supposed to be your guardian.”

She softly laughed. “A young pony watching two young ponies he barely knows. Willful young ponies, I should add. I’m not sure that was fair. Still, I appreciate that you take your promises so seriously.”

“I do. I let my own… whatever it is get in the way of my best judgment, and now you and Crimson are hurt. I’m sorry.”

Tranquil nodded. “I accept your apologies and forgive you.”

I blinked and looked over at her. “What? Just like that?”

“Yes, for you, just like that. You tried to warn us. You tried to turn us off. You may not have outright refused, but it isn’t like you lied or encouraged us. You gave in. You gave in and made sure we’d survive it. Perfect? No… but we survived it. Now I’m studying under a scion and she has shown me that you are not to blame for my pain.

“I should also be honest and say that I do, now and then, blame you still. The idea of you stands my coat on end. The exemplar sent me to fetch you as part of my recovery. To see the actual pony and not the idea of him.”

So Ferrel had seen me coming after all. Great. At least she was helping Tranquil, whose tone had been even, almost light, even though the last few words were clipped and strained.

“Does the idea match the pony?” I asked, my voice barely a whisper.

She shook her head. “No. I thought you would, but no. When the exemplar and I speak and revisit my memories, I realize it isn’t fair to hold you solely responsible. I approached you first. I followed you after you asked me not to. I felt compelled in my own way, just as you did. Crimson and I held you up as something more than a pony, but in the end, you’re just an imperfect pony like us. What we did wasn’t fair.”

Exemplar Ferrel seemed to have made far more progress with Tranquil than Mindful Soul had made with me. I could still sense her anger, but she was keeping herself relatively calm. Perhaps the nox pony was more receptive to healing than me.

I cleared my throat, discomfort filling my chest with a heavy weight. I guided the conversation away. “You study with a scion now, but didn’t you before? Moonlit Star is a scion, I thought.”

Tranquil waved a hoof dismissively. “Yes, but she’s my grandmother first. We disagreed about things, and I was too foolish to listen to her. She was also too concerned with me as her granddaughter to be a good teacher.”

“I see.” I took a deep breath in and let it out slowly. “I’m glad that you find yourself suited to the exemplar’s teaching.”

She nodded. “I am. There is much for me to do still to return to my footing. I’m still struggling to find my place in our world again. I know I don’t ever want to take another life. That isn’t right…” She paused and then waved a hoof. “I mean, not for me. It isn’t right for me. It is your job if it has to be.”

Right for me. Of course. That was what Silent Knight did: he was a killer when he had to be. I tried to push the nausea and anger down and said, “We’re going back to Haven. Your brother didn’t want to go. Would you like to?”

Tranquil shook her head. “No. I will not leave the grounds. Not yet. As I said, I don’t know my place in the world beyond.”

“I understand, but what should I tell Moonlit Star?”

“That my brother and I are both in good hooves? That we are safe? I do not know any better than you do. Tell her whatever is necessary.”

We approached the small bridge that was built over the stream that ran along the temple grounds. Exemplar Ferrel was standing on it, already looking our way.

Tranquil slowed and eventually came to a stop. She nodded at me and said, “I’ll see you when you get back.”

I stopped, too, and looked between the exemplar and nox pony. “You’re not staying?”

Tranquil shook her head. “No. I think the things we were meant to do together are done for now. Life is going to take us down different paths. You are a reminder, and until I see you as a friend again, I think it is best we part company. Just know that I don’t blame you.

“And, though it truly pains me to say it, I think you have a long path ahead, Silent Knight. I won’t follow this time. The blinder of youthful foolishness is gone. Where you go next, you go alone.”

With as much dignity as I could, I kept my form straight. Whether she blamed me or not, this was goodbye. A severing of our associations. All of them.

She was a smart pony.

My hoof found her shoulder and I nodded. “That is for the best. You’re a smart pony, and I wish you well. I’ll give your grandmother your love.”

“Thank you,” she replied, her eyes turning to the mare standing on the bridge. “I know you think ill of her, but she is waiting for you. Go to her, Silent Knight.”

There was not a lot of desire to take myself forwards. The mere visage of Ferrel exhausted me. Where I had once sought comfort and knowledge from her, I now dreaded what she might know about me and what was to come.

Quitting, however, was never the hallmark of my family. We were the ponies that did the horrible jobs and kept going. We were the ones that stood halfway in the shadow to make sure there was enough light for the regular ponies. The remaining distance to the bridge seemed immense but I left Tranquil Dusk’s side and crossed it. It was what I had to do.

“Good afternoon, Silent Knight,” the exemplar said to me as she peered down into the water.

“Good afternoon, Exemplar.”

“You’ve finally returned.”

I nodded. “I have.”

“You look better, though I can sense a great deal of dread and trepidation.”

I peered at her, trying to not glare. “Is that another special power you have?”

“What?” She looked over and shook her head. “No. I’m reading your body language.”

“Of course.” Several small fish went on down the stream going about their day. I looked down at them. “My path isn’t over?”

“Far from it.”

“More violence?” I asked.

“Unfortunately, so.”

My stomach felt like it was turning inside-out. “More death?”

“Much.”

“Why me?” It was a simple enough question. If it was to be me. I had a right to know.

The exemplar shrugged. “It doesn’t have to be. I’m certain if not you, some other pony would step into the role. Though, perhaps not. You do not seem as if you’ll back down.”

I blinked at that and shook my head. “But why me? That didn’t answer my question.”

“Did it not? As I said, you do not seem as if you’ll back down. You stepped forwards. You chose to be her protector. You chose to be her agent. You chose to be her knight. And, when the time comes, you will choose to step into the line of fire. Why you? Ask yourself that.”

How was it possible to hate a pony without hating her? I knew it wasn’t Ferrel’s fault. I hated her anyway. And I didn’t hate her at all.

“You’re saying it isn’t fate or destiny?” I asked. “It’s all of my choosing?”

“It could be some of both, but fate or destiny cannot force us to do anything. It merely calls to ponies it thinks might be right. Those ponies must choose to answer or not. You have chosen to answer the call just, as your first opponent did.”

My brow furrowed. “What?”

“Your opponent answered the call of the darkness, just as you answer the call of the alicorns. Was that not evident? He was a wicked being that followed a path of greed. Money, power, and fame were what he sought, and the darkness was all too willing to provide it. He accepted its offer, and it enhanced what evil was already there.”

Something in my blood went cold. Was Alastair more than a pawn of his kingdom, but an unwilling participant, too? Had his actions truly not been his own after all?

She looked at me, or maybe through me, and then shook her head. “No, Silent Knight. Neither the darkness nor the alicorns can control us. They call us, guide us, whisper to us. But in the end, it is we who must choose.”

“And you think the alicorns wanted me to kill him?”

The exemplar fell silent as her eyes lost focus, and I knew she was gone.

I set my hooves on the wooden railing of the bridge and watched the fish go by as I tried to process everything. Hadn’t I seen dark smoke when Alastair died? Was that the darkness Ferrel spoke of?

Was that darkness the same as what Princess Celestia had shown me? I remembered her saying that dark magic had a will of its own.

Then Exemplar Ferrel blinked and looked over at me. “Silent Knight. Hello again.”

“Hello, Exemplar.”

“Lovely day today. Plenty of sunshine.”

“Yes…” I blinked.

After a moment of awkward silence, she tilted her head. “When the alicorns call, you’ll know. It will be your choice to answer. Are you ready?”

I shook my head. “No, I don’t think so.”

She sat a hoof on my shoulder and squeezed it, smiling. “That is fine. You have time.”

“I do?”

“You do.” Her hoof slipped away. “You should visit more often. I do miss our walks. Good day, Silent Knight. Safe trip back.”

A part of me wanted to stay and demand answers, but she turned back to the stream. I was dismissed. Perhaps that was for the best.

I bowed my head. “Good day, Exemplar.”

Author's Note:

Quill & Blade Universe
Mirror Site - In the event FIM Fiction is down / Patreon Rewards
Ask Us - Submit your questions for Anzel, Crystal, or their characters
Patreon - Love our work? Please consider supporting it on Patreon!

PreviousChapters Next