• Published 11th May 2015
  • 14,020 Views, 3,289 Comments

Secrets of a Royal Guard - Anzel



Life has never been better for Silent Knight, but he finds himself shackled to the past by guilt, anger, and regret. Even though he tries to hide his true feelings from those he loves, he knows that the secrets he keeps will come at a cost.

  • ...
23
 3,289
 14,020

PreviousChapters Next
55. No More Secrets

Royal addresses from the palace balcony were not commonplace. This was especially true during the winter months made even more frigid due to the high altitude. The weather teams had cleared the snow and clouds to ensure that we were moderately comfortable, but they had no control over the temperature.

Equestria’s many governors were seated in a special box that was opposite the members of parliament. They’d come from all around and were waiting patiently. Patiently but with trepidation, as the air was thick with fear of the unknown.

The press corps was clamoring to get a scoop and had packed their cordoned-off area fully. From the looks of it, every magazine and newspaper were represented.

This would have been a security nightmare if the palace wasn’t swarming with royal guards, the Equestrian army, and all of the various security teams. After all, how better to cripple a kingdom than to take out all the leaders in one attack?

I’d been privy to a lot of the civilian issues that were to be addressed. Unfortunately, by staying with Lady Cadence, I had not been able to poke my nose into Shining Armor’s side of the house. He’d been in constant meetings too and, from the look on his face, nothing good had come of them.

The large clock tower ticked another minute and then started to chime. It was on the third tone that the doors leading out onto the balcony opened and Princess Celestia strode forth. She was joined by Princess Luna, General Ironhoof, General Winddancer, and a golden mare I didn’t recognize.

The unfamiliar mare wore the armor of a temple guard, armor just like Exemplar Ferrel’s. Without a doubt, she was a high-ranking official. Somepony that, perhaps, had decided that the Temple didn’t need to be separated from the princesses during the upcoming trials.

The bell toned twelve times in all and, once it was finished, Princess Celestia began to speak. Her voice, though not loud, carried across the entire palace grounds and out into the city.

“My little ponies, we come before you today with heavy hearts and trepidation. What is about to be said should never be done so lightly. Not long ago, our friends and allies in the Kingdom of Nordanver were set upon by hostile forces from their neighbor to the south. This was an unwarranted attack that came with little warning.

“This hostility was wrought by the same gryphons that once asked for our help and then turned upon us when we gave it. Though it is not our way to answer aggression with aggression, Princess Luna and I believe we have an obligation to help when we can.

“With the support of the governors of Equestria and our parliament, it is my unfortunate duty to stand up to violence and, without reservation, say that the actions of King Kronson cannot stand. On this day, Equestria formally declares war upon him and the kingdom of Sudramoar.”

A collective gasp overtook the crowd. I closed my eyes and tried to imagine that maybe, just maybe, this was one of those bad dreams I occasionally had.

“I understand that you have reservations. You are, perhaps, frightened and worried. As you should be, little ponies. War is an awful thing. It is the very essence of disharmony, but it is my hope that by sending this message, King Kronson will rethink his plans and find a non-violent way to resolve his differences.

“To ensure he is properly motivated, however, we further pledge to immediately send material aid to King Ranald. Food, armor, weapons, and anything that may help their efforts as they battle to dislodge hostile forces from their kingdom.

“Additionally, after careful consideration, we have decided to deploy the Equestrian Army to Nordanver, where our soldiers will support the Gryphon Army. Beyond that, to free up King Ranald’s resources for the war effort, it is our intent to raise thirty-thousand Royal Guard volunteers that can go and secure the cities and towns of our ally. This way, we may protect their civilians and discourage further attacks from the Sudramoar forces.”

The whole army plus royal guards: a massive force compared to what had been sent in the previous conflict. Princess Celestia was likely frightened of that outcome happening a second time.

It was unbelievable. Tens of thousands of my sisters and brothers heading off to war.

“And so, in closing, I ask you all to support us in this decision. It is not one made lightly nor without consequence, but it was one that had to be made. Thank you all, and may we find harmony and peace in the future.”

There was no stomping or cheers. There was only stunned silence as the princesses left the balcony.

War. Just like that, we were at war.

It had all happened too fast. Way too fast.

The Equestrian countryside flew by the train window. Canterlot was growing smaller and smaller in the distance. It was all still fresh in my mind. Russet and I were sitting across from each other staring at anything but each other.

“War,” he said.

“Yes.”

“It isn’t like you read about, is it? Instead of some defining moment, it is just a bunch of ponies in a room deciding. Then the army packs up and goes.”

“Yes. Do you think we shouldn’t go?”

He quickly shook his head. “Oh, no. We must go. We have to defend a friend. They’d do the same for us. I just… Silent, this isn’t what I wanted. I felt so hurt after what happened to us. I just wanted to do anything to hurt Alastair back. Anything at all. Him or any of the gryphons he represented. Now I have that chance but, in the end, it isn’t what I wanted. It isn’t really.”

I shook my head, though I was a little surprised to hear how Russet had really felt. We’d never talked. Maybe we should have. Maybe we could have helped each other. Maybe he could have stopped me.

“Me neither,” I replied. “My father talked about war with such… I guess reverence, but this doesn’t feel like that. Princess Celestia called it disharmony. It just feels wrong.”

“It does. It feels like being back in that gully, doesn’t it?”

A shiver crept up my spine and I nodded. “Yeah. Like something you have to do but can’t stand that fact.”

We went back to staring at our hooves. We were able to do that for a while, too. That was one of the good things about Russet. He understood when to just be silent.

Eventually, the sounds of approaching hoofsteps brought our heads up. It was Shining Armor, so we both stood immediately. This felt more like an official visit than just a casual conversation on the train.

“You two look pretty upset. I mean… you don’t, actually. You look blank like normal, but I know you well enough to know the difference.”

Russet nodded. “Yes, sir. Tough day.”

“The toughest,” I said. Did I have to go to war? Was that my punishment for my part in this? Ponies might end up dying over there. They had last time. Of course, last time they were peacekeepers. This time we were supposed to be defenders and advisors.

Shining Armor replied, “So it is, but that is what we’re trained for. Tough days. Now, as I know both of you well, I need to know what you’re thinking. You’re both the type to be one of those thirty-thousand volunteers. Be honest, boys.”

Russet idly rubbed his hoof against his foreleg. “Sir, I really appreciate the position I have, but I can’t sit behind a desk while this is going on. Especially not after the last time. Those were Sudramoar Gryphons. I hope you’ll forgive me, but I am going to volunteer.”

“And you?” Shining Armor asked, looking at me.

“I… I feel like Russet. So, y—” I closed my mouth then said instead, “I have to talk to Crystal. I should talk to her first.”

He nodded and replied, “I thought so. Don’t worry about it, Russet, I understand. Same to you, Silent. To be honest, I’d go, too, if I could, but that isn’t in the cards for me. There isn’t a lot of room for brigadiers and Central Command made it clear that they think my work here will be more important. Think it over, though. This is way too fresh. Give it a day or so and then let me know.”

“Yes, sir,” we replied in unison.

We settled back into our seats in silence after Shining Armor had left. Russet wouldn’t change his mind. I’m not sure I’d change mine either, but I was married now. I had to at least try to work through it with Crystal if I could.

If I could.

I came through the door to find Crystal sitting at our kitchen table. She was looking right at me as if she’d been waiting there for hours. Then I saw it. She had the local newspaper under her hoof. The entire front page was dominated by a single headline: War Declared.

“Welcome home,” she said in a tense tone.

“Thank you,” I replied before taking off my helmet and walking towards the bedroom.

She stood and followed me. “How was your trip?”

“The trip was fine. The reason behind the trip was awful.” I pulled the door of our closet aside and opened the box Crystal had asked me to unpack.

“I can imagine. What are you doing?”

“Unpacking, like you asked.”

I sighed when I saw the contents of the box. Of course. What else would Dad have wanted me to have?

Carefully, I pulled out my father’s helmet from the time he was in the Army. It was an old style that allowed a pony’s mane to poke through the top instead of a fabricated crest. I set it aside.

Next came his campaign cloak. It was blue like his mane. It matched mine pretty well, too. Royal guards didn’t really wear them, but Equestrian soldiers did. They were good for keeping you warm out in the field.

The final item was one I’d seen all my life: Stratus Knight’s sword. It wasn’t a family heirloom, per se, since he’d never been given his father’s sword, but that didn’t really make a difference. The blade had been through a war and dozens of battles.

“Silent Knight…” Crystal whispered, creeping closer to me. “Why are you unpacking that now?”

My head drooped. “Disharmony has consequences.”

“What?” she asked.

“When we do bad things, there are consequences. It was something Luna said to me. I have done some bad things and aggravated a problem. I’m not sure what the right thing is, but I have a guess.” I picked up my father’s helmet.

“I see. Maybe you’ll figure it out,” she said, a slight waver in her voice. “I read they’re looking for thirty-thousand royal guards to go.”

I kept my tone flat. “They are. To protect the cities, not to fight the battles. I don’t think the Army is going to fight too much, either. The princesses want a show of force to discourage King Kronson.”

“Oh, well that makes sense. So…”

“Russet is going. He volunteered right away.”

She went rigid. “I see.”

“It might be bad, though,” I said softly. “You can never tell up front. Last time there weren’t supposed to be casualties, either. Ponies died over there while things were quiet here. Perhaps it will be exactly like that again. It really doesn’t seem fair.”

Crystal shook her head slowly. “No, I suppose not.”

It wasn’t fair that they’d go and be in harm’s way. What was so important about land that it was worth killing over? My forehoof started to shake a bit. I didn’t have to go but I wasn’t sure I could live with myself if I didn’t.

“Crystal, honey.”

Her voice was barely a whisper. “Yes?”

“I… I’m sorry. I think I should volunteer. I don’t want to. I really don’t… but I think I should.”

“No.” She reached for me with a trembling hoof. “Silent Knight, no!”

The sight broke my heart. I’d made so many mistakes, but hurting her was the worst of them all. “I don’t want to go, but I’m not sure I could look myself in the mirror if I didn’t. Do I really have a choice if I feel that way?”

“You do! You have every choice! You’re a security chief. That is important! Let the Army go. Let other royal guards go. Let those ponies go. Stay here and protect the governor.” She choked on her desperate plea, “Stay here with me!”

That would be a lovely thing, to stay with my wife and protect Lady Cadence. Of course, I’d have to see it all in the papers. War. Casualties. Death.

Russet would be there. How many other ponies that I knew would go, too? How many would I let die because of my pointless vengeance?

I shook my head. “I don’t know that I can do that. Not after what happened. There is more to it than you know.”

Crystal’s eyes pooled with tears. “How can you say that? What about me? What about us? You know it isn’t just about you anymore!”

That stung. It stung more than anything that had ever been said to me before. I closed my eyes and took a measured breath. “There is no way I can live with myself or be a good husband to you if I stay here while other ponies go to war in my stead.”

“It doesn’t have anything to do with you! You have a duty to Cadence. You have a duty to me!” I could hear the tears in her voice even if I couldn’t see them.

“Unfortunately, it does. It has a lot to do with me. I understand my obligations here, Crystal, but this is partially my doing. I facilitated this.”

She stomped a hoof. “What? Don’t be so dramatic! That’s the guilt talking. You’ve got it up in that stupid head of yours that you have to go everywhere soldiers go and die like them. There is more to life than that. I promise you’ll be fine if you don’t die on some battlefield!”

“Do you think I don’t know that now?” My voice shook as I tried and failed to keep calm. “Do you really believe I don’t want to just stay here with you? You’d be right about the old me, but there is something you don’t know. It changes everything!”

“What does! What don’t I know?!”

My jaw set. I was getting worked up. Arguing with Crystal felt wrong. Hurting her was akin to inflicting pain on myself. “This whole thing started over the death of the Sudramoar King’s grandson.”

“Yes, I know all that,” she snapped. “The Nordanver gryphons assassinated or imprisoned him. Now they’re under attack and they want us to bail them out.”

I opened my eyes and met hers. “No, they didn’t.”

“They did! The papers say so, or something like that. I can’t think straight, and it doesn’t matter anyway!”

“It does matter! It’s all lies. Lies by the Sudramoar King that couldn’t be disproved by the princesses, lies they allowed so that they could protect a stupid pony,” I replied bitterly.

I shook my head and turned away from her. I didn’t want to see her face when I told her the truth, but it was time to tell her. It was time for there to be no more secrets.

“That gryphon had another name: Alastair. Crystal… the moment I got well, I started hunting him. I fell in with some other ponies like me. We called in every favor, used every trick, and hounded him.”

There was a pause before she whispered, “Silent Knight… what are you saying?”

“There wasn’t anywhere he could hide over there, so he and his soldiers came here to get away from prosecution. They thought no one would expect them to be in Equestria. He fell right into our trap. When the time was right, I set up an ambush.

“Remember when I missed your birthday? In the middle of the night, we attacked them. We slaughtered them all. I killed him myself and several others. I have a huge part in this. I know it is all a ruse to start a war, but I gave it to them. I played right into their claws.”

The silence that followed was painful. Crystal didn’t say anything, nor did she weep or sniffle. I could feel her fierce stare against my back. It was unlikely she’d ever see me the same way again and I wasn’t ready to face that.

I licked my lips. “Right or wrong, retribution doesn’t come without consequence. It is time to go pay what is owed. I’m sorry, Crystal, I really am. If I could do it again, I’d do it differently. Not because I don’t believe he was a threat, but because I realize now what I’m doing to you. What I’ve done to you.

“It hasn’t been fair, even if you thought you knew what you were getting into. You’re a better wife than I deserve, so if you’re not here when I get back, I’ll understand.”

That was it, then. I gathered my father’s things and walked out of the bedroom and to the door. Just as I pulled it open it slammed shut under the glow of unicorn magic.

“You are not dismissed,” Crystal said, her voice tense and tight. “You’ll understand if I’m gone? Don’t you dare walk away from me, Silent Knight.”

My head ducked and I turned back to face her. “I have to go.”

“Oh, I’m certain the war can wait another hour. I am not done yet. Not by a long shot.” Her nostrils flared. “I don’t get it. This whole killing business is unnatural, but I guess I just have to accept it is part of who you are.”

I winced, wanting to look away but forcing myself not to. “It’s not—I don’t like it any more than you do.”

She snorted. “Fine, but it is still your business, and this is mine.” Crystal advanced on me and pushed my head up. Our eyes met, and she went on, “Every day you’re gone, I’m going to be sitting here waiting and worrying. Every day, I’m going to live in fear that I’ll get a letter saying you died because you couldn’t live with the idea of somepony else dying for you.

“Go to your stupid war, but just know that I won’t be gone. I won’t walk away. I’ll be right here, Silent Knight. I’ll be right here waiting. Waiting on you. So every day, you get to live with that.”

“Alright.” The word was barely a whisper. I’d never felt so much shame before. The battlefield seemed suddenly preferable.

“Alright,” she repeated and slipped her forehooves around me. “Come home safe. I nearly lost you to this once. Don’t do that to me again.”

I embraced her, tighter than I meant to. “I won’t make a promise I don’t know that I can keep, but I’ll be careful. So careful. I’m not going for some glorious death. I want to be with you, but this is something I have to do. It’s my penance.

“That might not be something you can understand and I am sorry. I love you, Crystal. I’m sorry that this is my job and who I am… but it is who I am.”

The mare melted against me and I felt tears wet my coat. “I know… I’ve always known. I’ll just have to hope that you find a way through it. I love you, too.”

We lingered there together in each other’s forehooves. It felt like goodbye. It might have been goodbye. Reluctantly, I pulled away. “Until next time, Mrs. Wishes.”

She looked up at me through her tears. “Until next time, Mr. Knight.”

With little more than a nod, we parted ways. Staying longer would have been too painful. I left our quarters feeling lower than ever. Jet Set had warned me that marriage was a commitment.

It was something I understood, but I’d always been overcommitted. Committed to my father’s ideals, committed to the Guard, committed to Princess Luna, committed to my subordinates, and, last of all, committed to my wife. I may not have been abusive or cruel like Stratus Knight but, in the end, I’d turned out to be just like him where it counted: I always put duty first.

I am Silent Knight and I am a soldier. On my honor as a pony, I swore to uphold the laws of our kingdom and protect the weak. On my honor as a house guard, I swore to protect Princess Luna against threats both external and internal and to gladly lay down my life so that she may live. On my honor as an officer, I swore to act in a way that protects those under my command and ensure they come home safely.

I will live up to those commitments but, on my honor as a husband, I will do whatever it takes and go to any lengths to ensure I come home safely to my wife. Not for me. For her. She’s earned that much. She deserves a pony that will do that for her, and that is the pony I will become.

Author's Note:

I want to thank you all for reading and enjoy Secrets of a Royal Guard. This was a big change for me compared to Memoirs. It was a challenge to portray Silent Knight with PTSD and I hope at least I did it a little justice. This was also a slightly different direction than the first story.

It has been a fun ride for sure and I've enjoyed weaving in all of the elements from the overarching plot that we'll be seeing in Trials of a Royal Guard. There are some mysteries that will finally be solved. You can count on that!

Much like Secrets was a departure from Memoirs, Trials will be a departure from both as I try something a little different again.

Your comments, support, readership, and interactions have been a huge motivator for me and I truly do appreciate you all! This is, without a doubt, the most successful writing project I've ever done.

I look forwards to continuing this journey with you and I'd like to leave you with a slideshow that Crystal put together for the end of Secrets.

See you all again soon!

If you are enjoying this story, please consider taking a look at Crystal and my's website QuillnBlade.com for extra content such as mini stories, Q&B AU wiki, and special rewards for the awesome folks who support our Patreon. We have monthly art give aways, a Q&B Discord RPG, a several other fun gifts for patrons.

PreviousChapters Next