• Published 11th May 2015
  • 14,014 Views, 3,289 Comments

Secrets of a Royal Guard - Anzel



Life has never been better for Silent Knight, but he finds himself shackled to the past by guilt, anger, and regret. Even though he tries to hide his true feelings from those he loves, he knows that the secrets he keeps will come at a cost.

  • ...
23
 3,289
 14,014

PreviousChapters Next
43. A Social Call In Haven

For as much as I hadn’t wanted to do so, I’d left Crystal’s side, took care of my errands, and met up with the princess and the rest of my team to head to Haven. It was a journey that had lost any sense of mystery and wonder for me.

The Royal Guard outposts between the two cities were starting to look less rugged and more established. A few ponies had even started to settle around them. What once had been lands too wild to risk were now relatively safe, at least within view of the towers.

When we arrived on the mountaintop and descended to the city proper, Dream Dancer took me aside and said softly, “I know I’m here, but I hardly believe this place is real. Look at these ponies! Do you do this sort of thing often?”

With a wink, I replied, “The first time I came here, I was alone and hoped they weren’t going to attack me. They’re good ponies, though. You’ll get somewhat used to living in the dark, but if it starts to bother you, don’t hesitate to go topside. Just make sure you see to your guards.”

“Yes, sir!”

Princess Luna and I headed into the local inn. It was previously the only inn, but a new, smaller one had recently been built right near the town’s entrance. Some enterprising nox ponies wanted to make room for future tourists.

“Are you prepared for another month of study, Princess?” I asked her as she unpacked her things.

“I am. It seems never ending. A month is hardly enough time. I have no idea how Celestia ruled by herself and spent time with Star Swirl the Bearded.”

“Necessity, I suppose.”

The princess looked over her shoulder at me and then nodded. “Perhaps so. What do you intend to do while we’re here?”

“Keep an eye on Dream Dancer, but I expect her to do all of the work. I need to know she is reliable. Other than that, I’ll keep an eye on you and read my books.”

“Ah yes, your books by… his name was Moonglaive, yes?”

“Yes, Princess.”

She looked at me. “High Marshal Moonglaive?”

I guess she remembered the name after all. “Yes, Princess.”

“He was a great knight. I wasn’t aware he was a writer,” she said plainly before turning back to her tasks.

My ear gave a flick and I came over to assist her. “He was an exceptional writer and organizer. Based on what he wrote, I’m not surprised you’d know him as a great knight. Did you actually know him?”

She shook her head. “No, his prominence was before my time. My alicorn time but even then, he was a legend. A powerful light in the darkness and a great ally to Nocturna. How fitting that you should learn of him.”

What did that mean? I set aside a few more of her personal effects and then pulled a t-shirt out of her bag. “Really, Princess? You’re going to wear this here?” It was the Blame My Sister shirt.

“Too soon?” she asked.

I folded it back up and stuffed it in the bag. “Too soon. Come on, Willowy can do this. Let’s go over to the library.”

The princess snorted softly at that and then turned. “Alright, alright. You seem eager to get started.”

“The sooner we get started the sooner I get back to my mare. Her mother is helping her plan the wedding. Helping or supervising or antagonizing. I don’t know which. Either way, I want to make sure there isn’t an equicide.”

“Oh my,” she said softly and then peered down at me. “Where will I be sat?”

“On my side, I’d hope. I knew you before Crystal did.”

The princess smirked softly. “Jealous of your own wife-to-be?”

“Perhaps.”

“Well, I assumed your side, too. I more meant where. The first row? The second? Further back?” Her tone was playful, but there was also a serious edge to it.

What was she getting at? Crystal was planning the wedding, but I understood that seating was a big deal. Didn’t parents go in the first row?

She was staring at me. I swallowed. “I need to discuss it with Crystal, but my instinct tells me, with my family?”

The princess nodded. “Very well. Let’s go to the library.”

I hoped that was the right answer. It was at least correct enough to be left alone as we made our way to the stone library that was built directly into the mountain’s interior. The watchponies that were keeping vigil let us in.

The Haven Library, as always, had not changed. Everything was perfectly kept and in its place, including the books written by Moonglaive. That was where I settled in after the Princess and Moonlit Star had begun their work.

I’d returned the first and fifth books I’d borrowed. After all, I had a copy of the first one now. The original could be left here in the safety that Haven provided.

I settled my hoof on the sixth book. It was one of only three left, at least for the main series. There were several other smaller books, but these were the most important ones. These were the ones that were opening my eyes to knighthood. I slipped it free and settled it on the floor to start reading, where it landed by a pair of grey hooves.

“Silent Knight,” Moonlit Star said down to me.

Our eyes met, I stood and then bowed politely. “Matriarch. I expected you to be training the princess.”

Her head inclined in a bare minimum nod. “She is taking a break and I knew I’d find you here.”

“Am I that predictable?” I chuckled.

“I suppose you are. You always linger near when she is training, and these books call to you.” Her eyes softened. “What news of my grandchildren?”

Well, we were getting right to it then. “Crimson Dawn has decided to join the Royal Guard. He wishes to be a city guard, however. They do work like the Haven watch and it was his desire to help ponies.”

She sighed and nodded. “I suppose that was inevitable. At least it doesn’t sound that dangerous of a role.”

“It isn’t. I swear, it isn’t.”

“And Tranquil Dusk?”

“She has taken up residence within the Unicorn Temple. She is studying with the exemplar… er, the oracle, as you call her.”

Moonlit Star’s eyebrows briefly lifted. “Truly?”

“Truly. They seem to be getting on quite well, actually.”

She nodded. “Then they are well?”

“Well enough, yes. There have been… mistakes made, and adjustments to living outside of Haven. They seem to be fitting in, though. I do not fear for their safety.”

Moonlit Star continued to nod as she listened, then sighed. “And they did not wish to return here? Even for a visit?”

Idly I brushed one hoof along the other. “I am sorry, Matriarch, no. I offered to both and both declined.”

“Why are young ponies so frustrating?”

“We sometimes don’t think about the long-term consequences of our actions?”

She softly huffed at that and then turned. “Enjoy your book. I’ll go look after the princess. Before you leave, I’d like you to pick up some letters I’ve written to my grandchildren. Perhaps old-fashioned familial guilt will motivate them.”

“Yes, ma’am,” I replied. Then I waited for her to leave before I settled down with the sixth book. I had two weeks to get through my first reading. Then it hit me. “Matriarch,” I called after her, getting back up.

Moonlit Star stopped and turned back to me. “Yes?”

“There is a young scholar in Canterlot named Ley Lines. She is fascinated by your culture and what little information has been released about Haven. Would you open to having her as a guest and potentially giving her access to the library? Limited, of course, to what you are comfortable with.”

The matriarch’s brow arched. “A day pony? In this library?”

“It is bound to happen sooner or later. Why not one that will be respectful of all that is Haven’s culture?”

The mare did not immediately reply. She simply fell into thought. The silence lingered on a bit before she replied, “She may come, but I will not agree to any library access until I’ve met and gotten to know her.”

“That’s fair. She’ll be extremely excited. I’ll be sure to send a carrier immediately so that she visits while there are still house guards here.”

“Very well. Anything else?”

I shook my head and settled back to my book. The matriarch nodded and headed back to, I assume, attend Princess Luna.

Two weeks of secret practice was in order. That and keeping an eye on Dream Dancer. It was going to be weird not going to therapy for that long. It wasn’t that I was enjoying it, but Mindful Soul was very, very good. She was helping me with the guilt and the anger.

That wasn’t to say I was over them; I was just dealing with them better. Better than putting a hoof through plaster, anyway. The real trick was to focus on other things and talk about what I was feeling when it made sense. I still had to keep my mouth shut about my mission as preserving my career a bit longer was necessary. At least until I found a replacement. It wouldn’t matter after that. Then they could bust me down to guard 3rd class.

Of course, Mindful Soul didn’t like that kind of thinking. Negative thinking was what got me into this situation, she’d said. She had also pointed out that mitigating circumstances might save my career since I had a legitimate mental health issue, apparently.

Truthfully, in either situation, as long as I wasn’t discharged, I’d be fine. I’ve never minded standing guard, and I doubted Crystal would mind being married to a dishonored former officer.

I shifted my attention back to the book in front of me. Guard or officer, dishonored or not, I still had a duty to protect Princess Luna. Exemplar Ferrel had made it clear that there would be more bloodshed for me, and I needed to be prepared. High Marshal Moonglaive would see that I was.

Dream Dancer and I were sitting in the tavern having lunch. I hadn’t said much, but she’d said a lot. She was the kind of pony that just got along with other ponies, the kind that talked to anypony and had never met a stranger.

“And that is pretty much how I met my stallionfriend. If it wasn’t for that seagull, who knows who I’d be with!”

What seagull? Had I zoned out? I’d zoned out. “Well… lucky seagull, then.”

“Other than it dying,” she said, her tone dropping a little.

Oops. “I mean… lucky seagull for you. I’m sorry, that sounded better in my head.”

She waved a hoof and smiled. “I get the sentiment, sir. Lucky for me it happened so I met my stallion.”

“Exactly!”

Dream Dancer chuckled and shook her head. There was a pause as she looked around. “I’ve noticed the ponies here are extremely respectful of us and Princess Luna. They give us a lot of space, too. It seems easy to get complacent.”

“That means we have to work all the harder,” I explained. “You’re right, though. They see her as their one ruler and are very protective over her. I never anticipate problems here, but we do have to be vigilant as always. Especially with only a squad.”

“Yes, sir. Don’t worry, I’m on top of it. Celestia knows I have a ton of free time to check on my guards. How do you keep busy here?”

My ear flicked. “Personally, I just read a lot. When you’re not on duty, you could head topside and fly around the mountain a bit. Get some of that energy out.”

“That isn’t a bad idea. I’m not used to all of this darkness and seeing through… well, whatever this is.” She lightly touched the amulet that hung around her neck.

“Dark vision enchantment. Princess Luna did that herself.”

“You and her don’t wear one though.”

Observant pony. I tapped my breastplate. “Mine is built in. As far as she goes, I’m pretty sure she can just see in the dark, or maybe she casts the spell on herself. I try not to question magic that much. It seems like there are rules and whenever you want to break one, you just scream ‘magic’ and flail your forelegs.”

Dream Dancer giggled. “I don’t know why Lieutenant Day said you were sour. I think you’re pretty funny, sir.”

I glared. “Sour? She called me sour?”

“Yup!”

“And you didn’t keep her confidence on that?”

“I changed teams, sir. New loyalties! I’m a mercenary.”

I snorted. “Well, I am known to occasionally be too serious, especially compared to Sunny. I’ll keep your loyalties in mind in case I ever let you move to another team.”

“You better, sir. I’ll sell you out too… for the right price.”

“You’re not instilling a lot of confidence here, Sergeant.”

She laughed and shook her head. “Don’t worry, it’s only with the silly things.” Then she stood up. “I need to go check on my guards, though. If you’ll excuse me, sir?”

“Dismissed,” I replied.

She left, and I returned to my lunch. My lunch… our lunches… She’d just left me with the bill! Oh, Dream Dancer, I see how it is going to be.

Sunlight is a wonderful thing. The lack of it didn’t bother me as much as the rest of the guards, but even I had to step outside of Haven a few times to see natural light.

When I came up and out, Night Frost and Rose Mary were standing guard at the main entrance. It was a wholly unnecessary post, but it was one of the tricks we used to ensure each pony got plenty of daylight.

As summer started to fade away, the air around the peak was getting particularly cold, but it was better than being inside all of the time, cooped up in a cavern. I decided to take flight and patrol the sky, which was really just an excuse to stretch my wings. There was never any danger way up here.

In the distance, I caught sight of a large chariot approaching and a change of course set me on a path to intercept it. The distance closed quickly between us and it wasn’t long before I could make out Lightning Flash and Thunder Tumble pulling it. Had it already been two weeks?

Iridescence waved from the back. “Hello, sir! We’re here!”

Miley poked her head up. “I’m here, too!”

“Where is your mask!” I shouted at Miley.

“I’m better, sir!”

I shook my head. “Do not bring your plague to these nox ponies. You put the mask on!”

She huffed and asked Iridescence, “Is he ever going to let that go?”

“You sneezed in his face…” she said before covering Miley’s muzzle with a mask.

“Follow me in,” I said before turning back towards Haven. They didn’t really need an escort, but appearances should be kept. We all landed together and, as soon as we did, Ley Lines hopped out of the back.

“Wow! I can’t believe it! This cave is huge,” she exclaimed before trotting towards it.

Iridescence watched and looked over at me. “If it isn’t obvious, I got your letter. She was ecstatic, dropped everything, and came with us immediately.”

I nodded and leaned in close. “Please keep her out of trouble.”

“Will do. Speaking of that, please keep an eye on Winterspear and Dot. You remember what happened last time.”

I frowned. “Yes… my place almost burned down.”

Iridescence’s brow shot up and she looked at me with mock horror. “Your sister almost burned down!”

“Yeah… that, too.” I gave a playfully nonchalant shrug. “Come on, let’s get everypony inside. Dream Dancer and I won’t be leaving until tomorrow.”

Iridescence nodded and motioned at Blackblade. “Please act as an escort and wrangler for Miss Ley Lines.”

“Yes, Sergeant.” He trotted after the unicorn who had already invited herself through the city gate.

“How was the trip?” I asked as we all started to head into the cavern.

“Boring!” Miley chimed.

Iridescence glared at the small mare and said, “It wasn’t bad. I’m sorry I’m not as entertaining as your stallionfriend. We can’t all blow things up and turn topiaries into fruit-eating plant monsters.”

“Pardon?” I said.

“Runic managed to give some plants a higher sense of intelligence and they went cannibal. No real harm was done,” Iridescence explained.

Miley added, “The fines were minimal, and I don’t think there will be any lawsuits.”

“Of course. I’ll have to have a word with him about giving mundane objects sentience,” I said with a sigh.

“Don’t spoil his fun!” Miley said and then squeaked, “Sir!”

“She’s getting mouthy,” I told Iridescence.

“Yes, sir, I’ll take care of that.”

“Good.”

As soon as we made it into the city, I saw Moonlit Star there waiting. Or, rather, she would have been waiting if she weren’t already being bombarded by questions from Ley Lines.

“Matriarch,” I interrupted as I hurriedly approached. “This is Ley Lines, the scholar I told you of.”

“I presumed as much,” the matriarch said, her expression giving none of her thoughts away. Then she smiled. “Would you care to join me for lunch, Scholar?”

Ley Lines beamed. “Ley is fine, and yes, please!”

Before I knew it, Ley Lines, Blackblade, and I were sitting at the table in the matriarch’s house, much in the same way I’d been on my first visit. Ley Lines didn’t know it, but this was her one chance to either stay and study or be sent home by the ponies of her curiosity.

Moonlit Star had set out a spread of jams, bread, and fresh fruits. She looked at the younger mare and asked, “So, you are a scholar in Canterlot? Is that what you do to earn your way in the world?”

Ley Lines eagerly nodded. “Yes, ma’am! It doesn’t pay much, but it has never been about money. Learning, exploring, and researching is all that matters! Pushing the knowledge of all ponies forwards is reward enough for me. That’s why, when I learned about Haven, I knew I had to come here.”

“To learn?” Moonlit Star asked.

“Yes! To learn and to share. Ponies are so flippant with history. We barely have good records from a hundred years ago, much less longer. They all seem content to just live their lives happy and ignorant of the past. Sure, there are some ponies that are scholarly but, I mean, we didn’t even know you existed! Your kind was little more than a foal tale.”

My ears shot up at the words ‘your kind,’ but I doubted Moonlit Star would take offense.

The older unicorn chuckled and nodded. “I see. You feel like we’ve done a better job of keeping history alive?”

“Yes, ma’am. Well, your history, anyway. I guess if you’ve been isolated you won’t know about our history. Either way, a comparative would be huge. Plus, your magic! How your magic has grown or changed compared to ours. Think of the possibilities of sharing back and forth.”

Moonlit Star repeated softly, “Yes, think of the possibilities, indeed.” She then fell silent and started to nibble on her lunch.

“So… if, you know…” Ley Lines shifted in her seat. “I could stay here and study at your libraries or schools for a little while that would be great. I was told I could remain as long as there were house guards here.”

Moonlit Star looked my way. I lightly cleared my throat and said, “If approved, you could stay as long as we were here, yes.”

“If, when, whichever!” the unicorn retorted.

“Yes, if.” I peered at her. “Remember, our host is being very gracious.”

Ley Lines’s ears shot up and her gaze shifted my way as if to argue. She then caught sight of Moonlit Star and smiled. “Of course. I’m sorry. I get… a little overzealous sometimes when it comes to learning. I’m glad to be here regardless.”

The matriarch nodded. “I understand. Why don’t we finish lunch and we can discuss more about you and what you hope to learn?”

“That would be great,” the unicorn replied before setting her sights on the food.

“Be sure all of the invitations go out,” Luna said as she stared down at me.

“Yes, Princess,” I replied.

“For both events.”

“Yes, Princess, of course.”

“Willowy won’t be there to do it. It has to be you,” Princess Luna pushed.

I looked up at the alicorn with a flat stare. “Princess, do you think I’m not capable of sending out a bunch of invitations to ponies? I was your aide before Willow.”

The princess’s ears twitched, and she lightly set a hoof on my shoulder. “My apologies, Silent Knight. I just want both events to be perfect. They are very important to me.”

“I understand. I won’t let you down, Princess.”

“I know, and I’m sorry. I’ll see you in two weeks,” she said before hugging me.

I returned the embrace and lingered for a moment. It was impossible to stay mad at her. I’d given that up. Now, I was just sad I wouldn’t be able to lead her House Guard for too much longer.

We slowly parted and I said, “I’ll see you soon. Have a safe trip back.”

“You as well. Please give my regards to Crystal Wishes. You have a lot of wedding to plan in a very short time.”

“Of course, Princess. Take care.”

I left the suite and found Willowy in the hall. After a brief nod, I made my way around her to head to the stairs, but she turned and started to walk with me.

“So, you have to send out all the invitations on the list for the Nightmare Night party,” she started.

“Yes, I will do that.”

“And all the ones on the list for the shower,” she continued.

“Yes.”

“They have to go out as soon as you get back. And you can’t mix the lists up.”

I peered over at her. “Have I given you any cause to believe I can’t tell the lists apart?”

Her coat bristled around her shoulders. “It’s a lot of names!”

“It isn’t. Neither have a lot of names.”

“For you, they do.”

I stopped walking to glare at her. “What does that mean?”

She returned the glare. “You’re not an assistant! You’re a royal guard. Planning parties isn’t in your skillset.”

“This isn’t planning parties! This is sending out letters. I know how to read a list! I know how to send letters! You do realize I went to school, right?”

Willowy sighed and begrudgingly nodded. “Fine, fine. Just don’t screw this up. She’s really serious about this.”

“Willowy…”

“Yes?” She raised one brow at me.

Condescending little mare. My nose wrinkled, and I just huffed, “I’ll see you when you get back.”

“Okay, bye!” She waved a hoof.

I trotted down to the center square where our chariot was waiting. Dream Dancer looked up and asked, “Ready to go, sir?”

“Extremely,” I muttered. “Let’s get home.”

“Aye, sir!” she chimed before pointing a hoof up the street. “To home, girls!”

Author's Note:

Quill & Blade Universe
Mirror Site - In the event FIM Fiction is down / Patreon Rewards
Ask Us - Submit your questions for Anzel, Crystal, or their characters
Patreon - Love our work? Please consider supporting it on Patreon!

PreviousChapters Next