• Published 11th May 2015
  • 14,011 Views, 3,289 Comments

Secrets of a Royal Guard - Anzel



Life has never been better for Silent Knight, but he finds himself shackled to the past by guilt, anger, and regret. Even though he tries to hide his true feelings from those he loves, he knows that the secrets he keeps will come at a cost.

  • ...
23
 3,289
 14,011

PreviousChapters Next
54. Brought Home

Our train was pulling into the Canterlot station by lunch time. The whole area was in a state of controlled chaos. Royal guards wearing armor of every color and style were swarming the kingdom’s transportation hub, getting their various VIPs unloaded and up to the palace.

Shining Armor looked out of the window. “I’ve only seen this a few times in my career, but it never fails to impress.”

Russet Rook nodded. “I don’t even recognize all of the heraldry. It amazes me at how much Royal Guard armor can vary by region.”

“That is a good tradition in my mind,” Shining Armor replied. “Show a little hometown pride. I mean, look at Silent Knight. There is no question where he is from.”

I briefly looked his way before turning my attention back to the packet a local palace guard had delivered. Exiled or not, I wasn’t giving up my PLHG armor.

“Governor, we’re ready to disembark when you are,” I said to the pink unicorn nestled against the brigadier’s side.

She looked up. “Truly? With as big as a mess as it is out there, I thought we’d be sitting here a while.”

“We? No, ma’am. Other governors with less prepared security chiefs, yes. All of your belongings were preloaded onto a wagon that was brought onto the train. Your personal chariot is already off and ready to go. I’ve also deployed Alpha Squad to secure your route in advance. We’re ready, ma’am.”

Shining Armor chuckled. “No surprise there. What about me and my staff?”

I grinned at him. “How did you phrase it, sir? You ordered your staff on my train? Well, order them off, sir. I got them here; my part is done.” Then I offered a foreleg to his wife. “Madam Governor?”

As Lady Cadence took my foreleg, she giggled and winked at Shining Armor. He just gawked at me.

“Come along, Lieutenant Knight, I don’t want to be late. I’m sure the Crystal Empire’s Provincial Commander and his staff can figure out their own way.”

“Yes, ma’am,” I replied before leading her off.

It didn’t take long to get the governor sorted. After all, I’d planned everything in advance, and it all went exactly according to schedule. She was safely settled in her quarters before some ponies had gotten their chariots unloaded, which gave me time to relax.

Of course, relaxing wasn’t actually on my agenda, but that was what Lady Cadence told me to do. So I put on a good show of looking relaxed while I went over everything in my head. The packet instructed all chief security officers convene for a meeting with the commanders of the House Guards.

I wasn’t ready to face Sunny and Iridescence so soon. They would have questions, and I didn’t have enough emotional distance to give them answers. If I was lucky, there would be so much going on that they wouldn’t have time to interrogate me.

I waited until the very last minute to shuffle into the back of the designated room. The space was packed full of officers all doing their best to one-up each other with their posturing, noses tipped up and medals glinting in the light. Listening to the nearest few officers brag about their VIPs was grating my nerves, but thankfully, the door opened and Sunny and Iridescence trotted in.

“Okay, listen up!” Sunny called over the noise. She took position behind a podium and, despite the sheer amount of headache this would bring to her, she looked in top form. Iridescence stood off to her right and looked equally determined.

“For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Lieutenant Sunny Day. While you are here, I am the liaison of all VIP security, and you are all their security chiefs. That means we’re all going to be friends. The Canterlot Palace Guard and both House Guards will be assuming all security other than personal guards. Each VIP is permitted two guards inside the palace at all times. Everypony else can go take in the local color.”

Only two guards? That made sense. The palace didn’t need tons of disparate security teams running around doing redundant work.

“It should go without saying that if your VIP leaves the palace, you are to conduct your normal security operations. You should have all received your briefings by now. That will dictate where your VIP needs to be and when. There are no off-site meetings. Any questions?”

It was all standard. You’d have to be a fool to be confused. When nopony spoke up, Sunny tapped her hoof on the podium. “Dismissed.”

All of the security chiefs started to file out of the room while I made my way to the front. Somewhat nervously, I said, “Hi, ladies.”

Iridescence clearly tried not to smile too much. “Hello, sir.”

Sunny nodded. “Nice to see you.”

“It is good to see you both, too. How are things?”

“About the same. Just less stuff,” Sunny replied with a lopsided grin. “Iridescence is more fun.”

“I am,” the unicorn mare put in.

I rolled my eyes. “Of course you are. We all know mares prefer mares. Especially you two.”

Sunny pushed her hoof against my face. “Hey now, don’t speak for us all. I like stallions just fine when they keep their mouths shut and do what they’re told.”

With a grunt, I pushed her hoof aside, looked past her, and said, “Oh, hey, Soarin!”

“What! Where?” Sunny quickly turned and then slapped a hoof to her face. “Oh, Celestia… that is what I do to Azurite. Okay, yep, I’m done with you now.”

Iridescence chuckled and looped a hoof around my neck. “It is so good to see you. I haven’t accepted that you’ve moved yet.”

“Yeah… me either. I didn’t expect to come back so soon.” I glanced between them. “What is this all about, anyway?”

Sunny shook her head. “Nopony knows. The princesses have been in a lot of closed-door meetings. We’ve had several messengers in and out. The princesses haven’t said much. They’ve actually been pretty… well… distant since you left.”

Iridescence nodded. “Yeah. Are either of you going to clue me in on what happened that day? I’m feeling a bit left out.”

I nosed her cheek and sighed. “We can’t. You’ll just have to trust us on that. Suffice to say, I said some stupid things and it got weird. It was better for me to go.”

She shook her head. “I can’t imagine you making things weird. Did you profess your undying love for Princess Luna?”

What? No! That would have been super awkward. I shook my head. “No. Anyway, I need to get back to the governor. I’ll see you both in the meetings, okay?”

Iridescence didn’t look certain, but she just nodded. “Yeah, okay.”

“See you later, Silent Knight,” Sunny replied.

The throne room was filled with the quiet murmurs of the territorial governors as they chatted amongst themselves. By contrast, all of their security ponies stood quietly by them with stoic looks on their faces. Most of them, anyway. Some of them were also conversing. That was inappropriate.

Governor Cadence sat quietly between Quartz and me while she read through her morning briefing. A pegasus had flown it down before sunup. I guess that was what it meant to be a political leader: the job never stopped even if you weren’t there.

She flipped past the last page and then looked up at me. “Don’t scowl so much, Silent Knight. You’re scaring all of the other guards.”

“Madam Governor?” I replied softly, my eyes shifting down.

The unicorn grinned. “Don’t you see them all stealing glances at you?”

In truth, I hadn’t. My gaze was focused on the dais and on keeping a lookout for anything out of the ordinary. Royal guards were never out of the ordinary. “No, ma’am. How did you see them? You were reading.”

She chuckled softly. “A mare can see all around her. Especially when it comes to subtle looks from other ponies.”

“They’re probably looking at you, ma’am. Your beauty is renowned throughout the kingdom.”

“Well, thank you, but no, today they’re looking at you. Most of them have never seen one of Princess Luna’s House Guards, much less the highly decorated former commander. I don’t see too many chiefs standing guard.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Former. I didn’t like that word. She was right about the chiefs, though. It looked like most of the other chiefs had assigned enlisted guards to take over. In my eyes, for a meeting this important, it should be me and one of my sergeants.

Lady Cadence gently sat her hoof on my shoulder. “It’s okay. I know you weren’t ready to leave your old role. I just hope that, in time, you’ll come to consider being at my side the new normal.”

“I will, Madam Governor. I’m most grateful for the opportunity. I just need time to adj—” I fell immediately silent as the door to the side of the throne opened and Princess Celestia trotted out. Raven and Sunny were with her, and Princess Luna followed behind with Iridescence and Willowy.

Everypony that wasn’t already standing did so. Once the princesses had taken their seats, so did the governors.

Princess Luna was looking around with curiosity. Her eyes finally found me and I met them with my own blank expression. I didn’t move more than just the enough to nod. She smiled slightly… but only slightly.

“Ladies and gentleponies, I want to thank you all for making this trip on such short notice. As I’m sure you’ve all surmised, this meeting is of great importance. Much has occurred in a short time, and I felt it was best to discuss our situation as a group.”

Princess Celestia paused there and looked over at Princess Luna, who nodded. Celestia breathed in and pressed on.

“We will begin with the good news: Princess Luna and I are pleased to report that King Sombra was located three days ago, found wandering near Galloping Gorge. Understandably, he was confused and disoriented, but he is now recovering safely in this very palace.”

The audience was understandably astonished. There was some light hoof stomping but, in general, they seemed to be uncertain on how to react. An ancient provincial noble had returned from the void. That might make things a little tricky for Lady Cadence and me.

Governor Cadence merely smiled. She had an excellent guard face of her own and it never betrayed her thoughts. Still, the Crystal Empire suddenly had two leaders. Though, in this day and age, elections determined leadership rather than bloodline. Still, surely the last reigning noble would sweep the polls.

Princess Celestia cleared her throat and said over the murmuring, “This obviously brings up some issues that will need to be discussed here, particularly when it comes to Governor Cadence’s administration. We can table that for now.” She nodded to her sister. “Princess Luna.”

Princess Luna stood and, as she did, everypony fell silent again. “As you all know, in the past few years, I have been making efforts to strengthen our ties with the Nordanver Gryphon Kingdom. They have been an excellent trade partner and King Ranald is quite committed to working with us.

“Our relations stalled, however, when the abduction attempt was made and royal guards were slain. Since that time, several investigations have been conducted into the situation and we are now completely certain that King Ranald and his administration had no part in that incident.

“Unfortunately, the Nordanver authorities were not ever able to locate the perpetrator, Captain Alastair.”

She had worded that very carefully. It wasn’t a lie. It just wasn’t the whole story. My stomach twisted, but I tried to swallow the bile crawling up my throat.

“We are obviously unhappy with that situation, but we know they are making every effort to locate the criminals responsible while also dealing with their own trying times.”

Princess Celestia spoke up again. “Most recently, King Kronson of the Sudramoar Gryphon Kingdom has alleged that his grandson Garrard was taken prisoner by King Ranald. We have intelligence showing that, without a doubt, this is untrue, though it is unlikely King Kronson would accept it, or the source. That does not change the fact that we are aware of it.

“Unsurprisingly, this has led to a great deal of strife between the kingdoms. King Kronson set out an ultimatum that his grandson must be returned, and King Ranald was unable to acquiesce.”

The princess paused in a rare moment of hesitation. “I am sad to say that word arrived two days past that the Sudramoar Gryphon Army invaded and took possession of the resource-rich Rindaire Province. King Ranald declared war immediately after and is currently raising his army.”

The temperature of the room dropped. Nopony moved. Nopony spoke. My stomach sank to my hooves.

It hadn’t been sabre rattling. It was an excuse to invade… to start a war.

Princess Luna looked over us all, but I felt her eyes on me. “This was clearly a plot that has been in the works for some time. We have called you here to discuss how we will respond, and respond we shall.”

The room was suddenly filled with a multitude of voices as the various governors expressed their disbelief, fear, and concern. Governor Cadence simply shook her head.

“Ponies! Ponies!” Princess Celestia called, silencing the room again. “Please understand. King Ranald is our friend and ally. Though a generation ago our help was abused, we cannot judge a different king by that. By week’s end, however, we must have a resolution. The palace staff will present you with the appropriate schedules for your meetings. Thank you all.”

And just like that, the princesses left us. The room erupted into chaos.

Quietly I looped a hoof around Lady Cadence’s foreleg and whispered, “Madam Governor, we should go. Ponies get foolish when they’re frightened.”

She simply nodded at me and rose. It was hard to tell if she was blank with determination, or empty with the same fear as me and everypony else in attendance.

I ordered, “Sergeant, stay in front of us and keep the way clear. Be gentle.”

“Yes, sir,” he replied before doing so.

While remaining at her side, I maneuvered Lady Cadence out of the throne room and to her quarters without incident. Not that I was expecting one, but I didn’t want to take the chance. Once she was safe, I trotted into my adjoining room and settled onto the floor.

I wasn’t sure if I wanted to laugh or retch. My whole body trembled as I wavered between the two, as my blood ran hot and cold.

War. I’d played the role of a pawn in starting a war.

Everything was moving too fast. I hadn’t left the governor’s side during the week, but all I could do was sit in on the meetings. Meetings that the princesses had set with one clear agenda: how to best support our ally in their war.

Not ‘do we go to war’ or ‘can we stop the war.’ Just ‘how do we best support our ally.’ The inevitability of it seemed horrible.

“Our manufacturing just isn’t mature enough yet,” Lady Cadence said to the princesses and a few other governors. “Most of our industry is currently based around tourism. I’ve been working to encourage the production of durable goods, but we’re nowhere near ready. We simply don’t have the capacity yet.”

Princess Celestia nodded. “We understand, Governor Cadence. Your contribution levels have been adjusted accordingly. We’re merely hoping you may be able to meet some aggressive goals. If you can’t, we fully understand.”

Production targets, durable goods, and aggressive goals. What was all of this? A few of the other governors gave similar reports, but I didn’t pay them any attention. All I could do was think about the looming war.

Princess Celestia’s voice returned to my ears. “Alright, everypony, that is enough for now. We’ll stop there. Governor Cadence, if you could remain behind a moment, please.”

Once all of the other ponies had left, I stood awkwardly beside Lady Cadence, doing everything I could to not look directly at Princess Celestia or Luna.

Princess Celestia sighed. “I’m sorry I couldn’t send you word in advance. Luna and I have kept this extremely confidential.”

Lady Cadence shook her head. “I understand, I honestly do. This is a lot to take in, though. King Sombra’s return, and a war? What happened to everything being quiet and peaceful?”

“These are difficult times,” Princess Luna said.

From the corner of my eye, I could see her looking my way.

“Are we really going to go to these lengths to help King Ranald?” Lady Cadence asked. “Especially after what happened a generation ago?”

“Yes, Luna and I agree this is the best course of action,” Princess Celestia explained. “It is clear that King Kronson has something in mind for us in particular. After all, it was his army that attacked our peacekeepers before. We dare not get into that situation again, but King Ranald is a good friend who has not brought this on himself.”

“Forgive me for questioning you, Auntie, but can we be sure?”

Princess Celestia simply sighed. “I’m afraid we can. We know that virtually everything King Kronson says is a lie. There is more to this than I said in court. Far more than I’ve let on in meetings.”

Lady Cadence’s head tilted. “Oh? And you cannot share it?”

Princess Luna stood and trotted over to where I was. She poked her face in mine so I was forced to look at her. My head pulled back ever so slightly, but I met her gaze. It was extremely awkward, and even more unnerving.

Finally, Luna said, “Go ahead, Celestia. She is family.”

“Very well, but you cannot repeat this, Cadence.” The princess’s eyes narrowed slightly. “Not even to your husband. When it is time for the military to know, we’ll let them know. You see, King Kronson’s grandson Garrard also has an alias: Alastair. That, in itself, is known to the Royal Guard. Our intelligence service put that together, but their evidence is superficial.”

Cadence’s eyes went wide. “The grandson of the Sudramoar King tried to abduct Luna?”

“Assassinate, actually,” Princess Luna replied, still holding me in her gaze.

Cadence shrieked, “What?!”

Princess Celestia nodded. “Yes, I’m afraid so. We received new information saying as much the day Silent Knight left. That, and many other things. Of course, none of them really implicate King Kronson. Just an unnamed backer that was encouraging a would-be assassin.”

“So we’re supporting King Ranald because King Kronson’s grandson tried to assassinate Princess Luna?” Lady Cadence asked in surprise, understandably. Such a thought was unthinkable. Wrath and revenge, from the princesses? Never.

Princess Celestia raised a hoof to placate her niece and shook her head. “No, that is not quite it. Our intelligence service suspects the assassination was meant to look as if it was conducted by the Nordanver. After all, Captain Alastair was serving in their military. Based on that, had he been successful, it would have severed all ties between us and them.

“That would leave the door open for this war to be an internal affair. Luna and I agree that the last thing King Kronson wants is us involved in this struggle. So, if we pledge our support, perhaps he’ll back down. His plan has failed, mostly.”

Lady Cadence slowly nodded. “That… That makes sense, even though the ramifications are frightening.” Her ear flicked. “Why do you say mostly?”

Princess Luna addressed Lady Cadence, but I still felt the weight of her attention on me. “We inadvertently gave King Kronson his excuse. You see, as an enemy of the kingdom, Alastair had no protection. There was a bounty for his capture here and, in Nordanver, his death.

“Our forces, without the consent of King Ranald, set up an ambush that led to the killing of Alastair and, thus, Garrard. I received an extremely detailed written account of it. That is how we know King Ranald speaks the truth.”

Lady Cadence sat down. She breathed heavily. “We… really? We did that? You two ordered that?”

“No. I did,” Princess Luna said. “Without Celestia’s consent. The full ramifications of the action were not considered. Just that he was a threat that needed to be contained and contained he was, most skillfully.”

A lie. An outright lie. She was lying for me. My mouth opened, but Princess Luna stared me down.

“I… but who would go along with that? Surely the chain of command would tell Princess Celestia.”

Princess Luna’s ear flicked. “Usually, yes, but sometimes rules are bent and broken. I had a pony I could rely on to do the work without informing my sister.”

“Princess, I really must pro—” I tried to say before a hoof found my mouth.

Luna practically growled, “Be as your namesake, Silent Knight. You know better than to interrupt me.”

Lady Cadence looked at the two of us and then it dawned on her. She frowned deeply. “Of course. Your House Guard commander. Is this the strife between you two?”

“Yes,” Luna replied, nodding. “Silent Knight and I have acted very foolishly and hastily. Now we’re on a path to making good on what we’ve done wrong. It is important that he be away from my influence for a while, though, else he might be too easily swayed to do my bidding.”

She hadn’t! She’d never asked. Never hinted. She was making things up! Why was Princess Celestia was letting her? They were lying for me. Why?

“I’ll keep him out of trouble if I can.” Lady Cadence said softly. “This will remain in confidence, too. I imagine the Royal Guard would be angry to learn that one of its officers circumvented them and followed your orders directly.”

Princess Celestia nodded. “They would, but Luna and I do not wish Silent Knight punished for this. He did what he thought was best, even if it wasn’t. Now we must do what we think is best to resolve this issue.” Her face softened. “It will be hard on you as a governor. This is not how I expected you to begin your career.”

“Yes, I didn’t imagine this either.” Cadence shifted a little uncomfortably. “What of King Sombra, though? Surely he’ll expect to resume his duties?”

Luna and I stared at each other. I didn’t know what to think. This was an awful lot of lying to protect my career. I understood not serving me up to the gryphons, I really did, but this seemed reckless or at least unnecessary. Lies upon lies.

“He does, but he’ll have to wait until the election,” Celestia explained. “I’m afraid hereditary rulership is no longer commonplace, and you are the duly elected official of the Crystal Empire. If the ponies there wish to hold an early election, that will be allowed. For now, however, I feel he is best served by staying here and learning about what has changed in the centuries of his absence.”

With a sigh, Lady Cadence replied, “I understand. I’ll be honest, I was a bit upset to hear he had been found. It was selfish, but I really do like that I was elected. I was just coming into my own. Still, I’ll do things right.”

Princess Celestia crossed the small space between them and looped her wing around the unicorn. “I understand you’re disappointed. We’ll make this work. In the coming months, there is going to be a great need for ponies that can get things done.”

Celestia smiled and her tone lifted as she continued, “Now, we have about half an hour before the next meeting. Why don’t you and I go have some tea like old times, assuming your security chief trusts me with your safety?”

Security chief? “What?” Right, that was me. “Oh, yes, Princess. I’ll be outside your door.”

“Very good. Come along, Cadence.” And with that, they left together.

As soon as the door closed and Princess Luna and I were alone, I asked, “Why?”

She rolled her eyes. “Well, hello to you, too, Silent Knight.”

“Why?” I repeated. “You lied for me.”

The princess took my helmet off and set it aside, then cupped my chin in her hoof. “I want to make sure my foal has a long career so he can support his wife and, hopefully, some really cute foals of his own.”

I blinked up at her. “I’m not y—” I couldn’t bring myself to say it. I kind of was. “I don’t know what to do.”

She let me go and then smoothed the hoof over my mane. “Accept that a pony should get a second chance, and that not all of his good work can be erased by a single bad one. Nopony can punish me for giving that order, nor could they truly blame you for following it. Celestia and I agreed that it would be best this way.”

My chest felt tight. “At what cost?”

The princess smiled, a little sadly. “You always were too smart. I’ve made her some promises that I’ll keep. For the best, truly.” She sighed and shook her head. “You need to go do your job, little stallion, and I have another meeting to attend. For once in your life, don’t be stubborn. Think about your mate before you try to change my mind on this. She’ll need bits to live.” She leaned down, kissed my cheek, and then left before I could argue.

Not that I really wanted to argue, since that hadn’t turned out very well in the past. But I felt uncomfortable that she’d lie for my sake. She shouldn’t have to do that. Not for a pony like me.

It didn’t make sense but, at least for now, I had to accept it. The governor was expecting me to be outside the princess’s door, waiting on her when she had to go on to her next meeting. Duty first, confusion second.

Author's Note:

If you are enjoying this story, please consider taking a look at Crystal and my's website QuillnBlade.com for extra content such as mini stories, Q&B AU wiki, and special rewards for the awesome folks who support our Patreon. We have monthly art give aways, a Q&B Discord RPG, a several other fun gifts for patrons.

PreviousChapters Next