• Published 11th May 2015
  • 14,023 Views, 3,289 Comments

Secrets of a Royal Guard - Anzel



Life has never been better for Silent Knight, but he finds himself shackled to the past by guilt, anger, and regret. Even though he tries to hide his true feelings from those he loves, he knows that the secrets he keeps will come at a cost.

  • ...
23
 3,289
 14,023

PreviousChapters Next
3. The Hidden - Part 1

The setting sun heralded Princess Luna’s awakening. Her orders were for me to return to her, but there was no need to rush. She would, as always, meet with her sister first. They would discuss the day and the night to come, and perhaps share a meal.

After that, Willowy Tempest, the pony who I was apparently the nemesis of, would brief the princess for her evening while serving tea. Could I interrupt that? Sure! Should I? Only if I thought it was funny. She was high strung enough as it was.

I quietly sat at my desk, looking down at my hoof-written notes. When I’d returned from my meeting with Royal Guard Intelligence, I reproduced everything from the report that I could from memory.

Absorbing information and regurgitating it had been a big part of getting through Canterlot Academy, basic training, and officer’s candidate school. That skill proved useful yet again.

The pointers on the clock caught my attention as they ticked over to the next hour. I closed my personal file regarding Captain Alastair with a sigh. This was my side project and consumed a lot of my mental energy, but he was still a threat to the princess. A threat that could not be ignored.

I slipped the file into the bottom drawer of my desk, locked it, and stood up. It was time to move on to other, more official projects. My office hours were over, but my duties were far from finished. Princess Luna would be waiting.

Once I’d secured my office door, I headed towards the princess’s private quarters. There was little doubt in my mind what she wanted to discuss. That assumption was confirmed when I found Astral Bolt standing outside with his peer. She’d already sent him out of the room.

The pair snapped to attention at my approach, and I said, “At ease. Remain outside until further notice.”

“Yes, sir,” they replied while I let myself in.

Princess Luna was sitting at her desk going over some papers. The nox pony journal that I had recovered on one of my missions for her was resting open for reference. When I shut the door behind me, she looked up and asked, “Are you well, Silent Knight?”

“Yes, Princess.”

“That gives me a great sense of peace. Now that you are back in form, I think it is time that you go and make contact with my nox ponies. Presuming you are still amiable to the task?”

Of course this was about the nox ponies. I knew how important they were to her, but the last time she and I spoke of them, I’d just gotten out of the hospital. I hadn’t been prepared to think about a bunch of ponies living in seclusion. Ponies that may or may not be holding a thousand-year-old grudge against Princess Celestia.

While my mind was clearer now, I still had reservations. Her eagerness and my clarity didn’t mean I should ignore caution, so I chose my words carefully. “I am, but I want to understand our purpose. What exactly is your goal for this meeting?”

Princess Luna stood and wandered over to her balcony. “Our purpose, then?”

“Of course, Princess,” I said softly as I followed behind her. “Your purpose is my purpose. I serve at your pleasure. All that I ask is that you don’t shelter me from that purpose. Trust me as a partner, not a servant.”

She briefly looked back at me before giving the slightest of nods. “Very well. You have earned such. The purpose is simple: find them, understand how they are doing, and hopefully, in time, bring them back.”

“Bring them back?” I asked.

“Into the fold, yes. Perhaps not physically, but at least to the kingdom. That is why you must seek them out. Should you find them, introduce yourself as the messenger of Luna the Student. You will then arrange for safe passage for me. I would speak to their matriarch as soon as possible. I fear the longer they go without knowing of me, the more frightened they may become.”

The idea of the princess wandering into potentially hostile territory set me on edge. My focus had to remain on the task at hoof, however. We could discuss the rest later. For now, I was finally granted some critical information.

One particular point stood out to me. “Why Luna the Student?”

“That is how they would likely know me. That is, of course, depending on how much information sharing they’ve done over the generations, assuming they’ve done any at all. I also do not want to appear presumptuous to them by calling myself Princess Luna.”

My head tilted. “But… you are Princess Luna.”

The alicorn shot me a look over her shoulder that I couldn’t get a read on. It wasn’t a pleasant look for sure. “Yes, by default. These ponies may be more familiar with the old ways, however, and I wish to respect that.”

I shifted somewhat uncomfortably on my hooves. “Princess Celestia warned me that some of this knowledge would frighten regular ponies. If we meet these nox ponies and they’re familiar with the old ways, as you say, do we not run the risk of their knowledge reaching regular ponies?”

“That we do, but it is a risk Princess Celestia and I are willing to take to reunite all ponies. For the time being, we will encourage the nox ponies to remain isolated until we can explain this to all of Equestria.”

What exactly would the princesses be explaining? That there were more ponies than we had realized? It didn’t make sense yet, but in time I was sure it would. “I see. Am I to convey that message as well?”

Princess Luna shook her head. “No. Introduce yourself, verify they’re there, and set the meeting. Nothing more, and nothing less.”

“And if they’re hostile?”

“They won’t be.”

“And if they are?” I pushed.

“Surrender. Put up no resistance. If you do not return in two weeks, I will know their mind and send an appropriate rescue.”

That wasn’t exactly a confidence booster, but I trusted the princess. “As you wish. Where am I going?”

The princess returned to her desk and produced a rolled-up map. She spread it out and I quickly realized it was a lot older than any map I’d seen before. There were locations that were within the borders of Equestria that I wasn’t familiar with.

“Here, deep in the southern Badlands. This mountain is the most likely place. Look for an entrance high on the peak.”

“Alright. I need to see to the unit and then I’ll leave.”

“No.” The princess pointed to the balcony door where a saddlebag rested. “Major Measure will look after your unit. I frustrated her with an ambiguous request, but she understands that you are on a personal errand for me.”

She offered me the journal and added, “Return this to its rightful owner, I have pried enough into her life. Go now. Be as swift as you can.”

This was very sudden but, as Princess Luna’s agent, I’d learned that many of these missions came on short notice. Covert work wasn’t necessarily in the average Royal Guard playbook, but I was adapting well enough.

“As you wish,” I replied before heading to the balcony, putting on the saddlebag, and leaping into the air.

My wings spread wide and caught a bitterly cold updraft that sent shivers along my spine. I’d been born in winter, but I’d never taken to it. This year, the season seemed to be dragging on and I was ready for it to wrap up. I’d missed the end of summer and start of fall during my coma.

That yielded another shiver, a different kind this time. He’d hurt me, badly. He and his dirty soldiers. They’d turned away from their duty for coin. To attack me was one thing. To attempt to foalnap or kill Princess Luna was inexcusable. There would be repercussions.

My thoughts started to darken as I imagined the possibilities. With a quick shake of my head, I cleared my mind and focused back on my mission. There would be a lot of flight ahead of me.

The Badlands are further south than many ponies realize. Most maps aren’t to scale and there is a lot of territory beyond the Appaloosan Mountains. The vast majority of it is wild, rough, and not for the average pony.

After hours of travel, I stopped to have a snack and watch the sun come up. The saddlebag Princess Luna had packed was full of rations, water, and other useful items like a first aid kit. It was enough for a two-week trip if I ate normally, and even longer if I was sparing.

With a full belly and a night’s worth of flight fatigue, I decided it was time to sleep. The light from the sun would keep a lot of the creatures below in hiding and waiting for night to hunt. Despite that knowledge, I still picked a particularly high cloud to settle into.

I’m no weather pony, so it didn’t quite cooperate with my attempts to fluff it up and move it in the right direction. It was like fighting with a pillow that was both sentient and ill-tempered.

In time, I did manage to get it comfortable enough, even in my armor. After that, it was just a matter of closing my eyes and I was out.

I woke from a dreamless sleep with a renewed spirit but a sore body. Sleeping in armor was yet another thing my father’s training hadn’t prepared me for the reality of. No matter how many times you did it, it still hurt in the morning.

Or, in my case, in the early evening, judging by the position of the sun and darkening sky. I tried to stretch as best I could before retrieving the map from my saddlebags. It took a few moments to get oriented, but once I matched a few landmarks, I was grateful to discover that the cloud hadn’t drifted off-course in my sleep.

After a few more minutes of studying the map to be certain of my route, I tucked my map away and set off towards my destination. There was a mountain range on the horizon and I suspected it was the one Princess Luna had mentioned.

It wasn’t until the moon rose to its highest point that I was able to discern the peak in the distance. I tapped the crescent moon on my breastplate, urging the night vision enchantment to life. My vision changed as objects shifted into subtle shades of brown and grey. That was a handy perk of my new armor.

The mountain itself wasn’t much different than any other that might exist in Equestria. It wasn’t as tall as Alicorn Spire or Midnight’s Peak, but it was still an immense obstruction. It would take a pony days to trot around its base.

I noticed a key difference other than size, too. The stone that dominated the surface was a granite very unlike its peers. It was darker in color and did a better job of blending in with the shadows. At least it would have had I not had an enchantment.

Now was the time for me to see if there was an entrance without looking like a sneak. I made slow circles around the spire, working my way down while looking out for anything that could be a portal inside.

It took two hours before I finally spotted what could not be mistaken as anything but an entrance. It had been cleverly hidden behind a massive stone that jutted out from the side of the mountain.

If you were to look at it head on, the stone and the mountain behind it would blend in, concealing the cavernous entrance. From the sides, it would merely look like a gap. The only real angle to see it was from above. Clever.

I casually flew down and landed in the area between the stone and the entrance. It was big enough for a wagon, but anypony pulling it would have to come in from the side and then make a tight turn into the entrance.

On hoof, things were less difficult. I merely trotted under the dark arch of stone into the tunnel beyond. Twenty meters in, I found a threshold flanked by two large steel doors. They were currently open, which I took to be an invitation. Possibly an invitation to a trap, but at least they were friendly about it.

As far as the rescue Princess Luna had promised went, I couldn’t imagine trying to assault a gate that formidable so high in the mountains. These ponies had planned well for their defense.

For a moment, I stopped at the door, took a deep breath, and put on an air of confidence. It was show time. I set a normal pace and walked along the center of the passage. It sloped downward and slowly spiraled into the mountain’s heart. I made no effort to be stealthy, nor did I hesitate. My presence here was to be known.

The path was long, but eventually it opened out into an expansive cavern. Once again, I’d found myself in a hidden village. This one was not in a state of disrepair, however, as there was no rot or decay.

It was lived in, and the ponies there were staring at me. Fear was in their eyes—their glowing eyes that accentuated the vertically slit pupils.

Nox ponies, I discovered in that moment, looked more or less like regular ponies. Most of them had darker-colored coats that looked kind of fuzzy. Though their shapes and sizes varied, there was certainly not a ‘template’ that they all followed.

To be honest, I had kind of expected nox ponies to be their own distinct type, like a pegasus versus a unicorn. Instead, it turned out that they were more like crystal ponies in that, other than a shared characteristic, they were composed of pegasi, unicorns, and earth ponies.

They all shared the same tall, tufted ears like my own. The vast majority of them had wings, but I did spot ones with horns and others with neither. Those with wings either sported feathers like my own or were smooth like that of a dragon or bat, as was the case of a little colt that ducked behind who I presumed was his mother.

As I approached the town, most of the ponies backed away, or hurried indoors. I’d never felt like a monster before, but they clearly reacted as if I was one. Perhaps I had underestimated the effect of total isolation would have.

I kept my movements slow and predictable as I reached a large plaza towards the center of town. It was dominated by a large pedestal, the kind that would house a statue. This one, however, was incomplete. Nothing stood upon it.

The crowd wasn’t hostile. If anything, they ranged from scared and curious to wholly terrified. One plum colored filly seemed interested, but her mother quickly threw a hoof around her and pulled her back. That made it clear what they thought of me. It was best not to antagonize them.

I stood in silence and looked the group over. Several of the nox ponies approached and encircled me. They were larger than most of the others but didn’t have the look of professional soldiers.

None of them had any armor or weapon, they didn’t take a proper combat stance, and they weren’t in any kind of tactical formation. If anything, they were just the local tough ponies. Perhaps a militia at best. I was out numbered but if I had to, I was certain I could fight my way out.

One of the ponies finally took a step forwards as if he meant to challenge me. His coat was dark grey, his wings black and dragonesque, and his mane and tail were a dark red. So dark they were the color of blood.

In the darkness, his amber eyes gleamed and he said firmly, “Who dareth trespass hither? This is not a place for warriors of the House of the Day to tread.”

It had been quite some time since I last heard Luna speak Early Modern Equestrian, but it wasn't so long that I couldn't understand it. At least it wasn't Old Equestrian.

Instinct told me to shift into a combat stance. That wasn’t the goal here, so I turned to him as slowly as I could. “Good evening, everypony. I am a warrior, yes, but I mean you no harm or offense. Luna the Student has dispatched me as her messenger. My visit is peaceful, and I seek your matriarch.”

There was a collective gasp from the ponies nearest me. The crowd that had gathered beyond them burst into hushed whispers. Even if we didn't speak the exact same Equestrian, they certainly got my meaning.

The red-maned pony’s eyes narrowed. “How can that be so?” he asked… more or less. I’m not a linguist, so translating the gist of what these nox ponies said is the best I can do.

Hackles raised, the pony continued, “Luna the Student was banished ages ago by the House of the Day. You insult us by lying about such a thing!”

“Luna the Student has returned,” I replied before rising to my full height and fixing my gaze out to the crowd. With confidence and a hint of challenge in my tone, I added, “I am her emissary, Silent Knight, and I don’t lie.”

As the breath of my name passed my lips, there was another round of shocked gasps followed by everypony immediately prostrating themselves before me. It was a surprising—and confusing—turn of events.

“Forgive me, Sir Silent,” the nox pony said, suddenly sounding humble. “We did not know that any Knights of the Moon still walked Equestria.”

What was a Knight of the Moon? Was I one? No, I was a Royal Guard. “No… please rise. All of you. I’m not a knight. That is my name. Silent Knight.”

They did not rise. “Yes, Sir Silent. We understand,” another pony nearby toned.

I shook my head. “I’m not certain you do. I’m not a—”

“Was one of your parents also Knight?” a clear voice asked, cutting through the noise of the crowd. It was that of a mare, and as she spoke, the rest fell silent.

That was an easy enough question. My father was Stratus Knight. “Yes.”

“Was one of their parents also Knight?” the voice asked again.

I was sensing a pattern already. “Yes.”

“And their parents and so on?” she asked.

“To the best of my knowledge,” I replied as I tried to get a fix on the source.

The questions stopped and an ancient nox pony slipped from her place within the crowd. She had been blending in so well I wouldn’t have taken her for anypony different, despite her voice.

Unlike most of the others, however, she was a unicorn. Her silver horn stood tall out of her faded gray mane that blended almost seamlessly with her coat. As she approached me, she walked with a wobble and on several occasions stabilized herself on another pony.

“In ages long past, your family served as warriors of the Moon. Knight was a title, not a name. Perhaps, in these times, the name is all that is left. And yet here you are, a warrior and a servant of Luna the Student.”

Her bright yellow eyes fell to the crowd and she lifted a forehoof. “Rise, all. I will speak with the emissary and know his mind.”

The ponies did as the mare bade them, but there was hesitation. The group that surrounded me made way for her, other than the stallion that had led the charge. He took her hoof carefully in his own and helped her closer to me.

“Welcome to our village, Silent Knight,” the old mare said. “I am Moonlit Star, the matriarch that you seek.”

That was a name I knew immediately. This was another surprise. Before I could think things through, my mouth opened and blurted out, “Moonlit Star? Luna’s mentor?”

An amused smile crossed Moonlit Star’s face. “In a fashion, yes, but in reality, no. She and I are not the same. Much as your name was handed down, so, too, was mine. The pony of which you speak has long passed, but her name and role were handed down to her daughter.

“That daughter waited for the Student to return, preparing to mentor her. When she did not, she focused on her family. A new generation was born, the role and name passed once more. So on and so on has this occurred in an unbroken line until now.”

Unbroken until now? This Moonlit Star was an ancient pony for sure. Perhaps she had not had a family? I’d have called it an interesting coincidence, if there was such a thing. That was something I was starting to doubt.

“Matriarch, I bid you greetings on behalf of Luna the Student. She believes that she’s been disconnected from her ponies for far too long and requests permission to visit.”

The assembled ponies stared on with expressions of shock. All except the matriarch. She merely nodded. “Luna the Student does not need permission. She has always been welcome here and may come and go as she desires.”

This might be easier than I thought. I cleared my throat, “You have my thanks. May I have your word in front of all those assembled that her safety is guaranteed?”

The matriarch’s head tilted as a look of confusion fell across her face. “Luna the Student lives among the aggressors from the House of the Day yet fears harm from her own? Why is this?”

Excellent work, Silent. You’ve opened your mouth and stuck two hooves into it. I could fix this. “She doesn’t fear harm from you. I, however, am a mortal pony and her guardian. Though you know her as your… kin, you and I are not yet acquainted. I will always fear for her safety.”

That appeared to be a satisfactory answer. The mare looked to the crowd and gestured with a hoof. “Then I give my word, in front of all assembled, that Luna the Student shall be safe here, now and always.”

“You have my sincerest gratitude, Matriarch. I’ll return to her directly and prepare for her visit.” Mission accomplished. It was time to leave.

When I pivoted towards the street I’d come up, the matriarch lifted a hoof. “What is your hurry, Emissary? Will you not accept my hospitality?”

Mission unaccomplished. A refusal of hospitality might reflect poorly on Equestria, Princess Luna, and myself. “Forgive me, I was overly eager to return to my charge. Luna the Student is most interested in hearing this news, but I wouldn’t want to be rude. Perhaps I can stay until tomorrow evening? Then, I really must return with this news.”

“A fair compromise. Come along, Emissary. You will stay in my home. Dusk and Dawn, with me, please.” When she said Dawn, the pony holding her hoof’s ears stood up. He nodded and continued to aid her as she started off in the direction I assumed her home was.

Dusk—at least I assumed it was Dusk—popped up in the crowd, making her way towards us. She was staring at me as she moved, a look of curiosity plainly visible on her face.

In contrast with many of the ponies there, her coat was a far lighter gray, the color of ash. Her blue-and-purple mane and tail put her at odds with Dawn. Based on their names, I had to assume they were related.

What struck me as interesting, however, was that as she moved, her hooves made no sound against the stone. That may have been a result of her extremely lithe build, but it was likely some kind of training.

When she drew close, she fell into step beside me. Her elegant black feathered wings flicked briefly at her sides before falling still.

Our trek took us through the village to what I’d guess was the northern outskirt, if my sense of direction wasn’t completely off-kilter. It was there that a large, two-story stone house stood. Once inside, the matriarch started lighting candles, and the red-maned pony, Dawn, tended to the hearth. I casually tapped my breastplate to end the enchantment.

When the tasks where complete, Moonlit Star motioned to one of the stools that surrounded a simple round table at the heart of the main room. “Please, sit.”

I did as I was instructed and took a moment to admire the home. The ceiling went all the way up to the ridge of the flat roof. At the peak, a large window was left open to the outside.

At ground level, there were two doors opposite the one that we’d come in and one to the right. All were closed. Beyond the table and stools, the room we were in had a stove, something that was probably an ice chest, and a few cabinets.

This was a simple home filled with years upon years of personal effects. Shelves were lined with hoof drawn pictures, portraits, and other items of that nature. It was a far cry from the impersonal quarters I usually kept.

Dusk began to set out food, all manners of fruits and berries. Most I didn’t recognize, but some were clearly a variety of apples and oranges.

Eventually, my hosts joined me at the table, and Moonlit Star motioned to the stallion. “My grandson, Crimson Dawn.” She then shifted her hoof to the mare. “And my granddaughter, Tranquil Dusk.”

Grandfoals, but no daughter? A granddaughter not named Moonlit Star? Is that why she had mentioned the line was unbroken until now? Had something happened? That would not be a polite question for this meeting.

For now, it was all diplomacy. “It’s a pleasure to meet you both and to be invited into your home. Thank you.”

Moonlit Star nodded. “You are most welcome. Now, please illuminate us. You come bearing great tidings. Tell me, how is it that Luna the Student has returned? How could she defeat Celestia of the Six?”

That was when it dawned on me that this was not going to be a polite interrogation. These ponies were as curious as I was. I wasn’t certain how much I should tell them. Princess Luna had not given me instructions on that. I’d have to exercise my best judgment.

“She didn’t defeat Celestia. Pri—Luna the Student slipped the bonds of the moon through the means of a prophecy. I should also be honest and say that I don’t understand magic nor prophecy. The exact machinations behind that are well beyond me.

“What I do know is that on a celebration, a thousand or so years after her internment, she, or more accurately, they escaped their bonds and returned to Equestria.”

The matriarch tilted her head. “What do you mean, they?”

What did I mean by ‘they’? “Right, they. This is once again hard to explain. I don’t understand it fully. Luna the Student, prior to her banishment, had been ensnared by a nightmare. Together, they escaped the moon and waylaid Celestia.”

Quickly, I added, “of the Six. So, in a way, I suppose they did defeat her. It wasn’t long, however, that the nightmare and Luna the Student were separated by the Elements of Harmony. That restored her to her normal self.”

“Celestia of the Six separated them?” The question was almost a whisper from Tranquil Dusk.

“Pardon? No,” I said.

Moonlit Star chimed in, “Celestia of the Six wields the Elements of Harmony and yet you claim she did not separate Luna the Student from the nightmare? How is this so?”

I could feel myself getting hot under my armor. That wasn’t something I’d let them see, though. “I see what you mean. Celestia of the Six no longer possesses nor wields the Elements of Harmony. They’re in the care of other ponies now.”

Moonlit Star listened intently and lightly stroked her chin. “She surrendered the Elements willingly?”

This was unfamiliar territory. “Forgive me, Matriarch, but as I mentioned, magic is not something I understand. From what I’ve been told, once Celestia used the Elements against her sister, she either lost the will or ability to wield them again. That power has fallen to other ponies.”

“Other alicorns?” Crimson Dawn asked as if to correct me.

“No,” I replied. “Two unicorns, two pegasi, and two earth ponies.”

“Why would Celestia deny their use to her new alicorns?” he asked.

This was getting confusing. Interesting, but confusing.

I shook my head. “There are no new alicorns. I only know of three alicorns: Celestia, Luna, and Nocturna… and I know Nocturna has long since left this world.”

That may have been the wrong response because the other three fell completely silent. They just exchanged glances between themselves before the two younger ponies finally looked to their elder.

The matriarch tentatively asked, “Then… who rules?”

Princess Luna was going to be disappointed in me for going so far off script. I shifted on the stool. “The sisters rule jointly. There is no longer any conflict or rivalry between them.”

Again, there was silence.

“Very well,” the matriarch finally said. “I look forwards to the visit from Luna the Student. Now, please eat.”

Putting food in my mouth would stop me from spilling information, so that seemed like a good idea. At least until a better idea crossed my mind. Polite interrogations could go both ways. “Matriarch, may I ask you a question?”

“Of course. I imagine you’re quite curious about us. I assume we are not well known in Equestria?”

I nodded. “Not known at all. Although, I imagine that is by design. You’ve hidden yourselves so well. Could you tell me why?”

Moonlit Star nodded. “This is true. It was a great blow to us when Nocturna the Mentor and Princess Azuleka the Ruler were murdered. Our kind feared aggression from the House of the Day after that. Though none ever came, we began our exodus from the places we were known to live.

“When Luna the Student was banished not long after, we feared the worst. Our ancestors fled Equestria for lands we felt were safer and isolated.”

Azuleka the Ruler. That was a new name for me. “I understand. Weren’t alicorns of the House of the Day also murdered at the same time?”

The matriarch tilted her head and for a moment suspicion crossed her expression. Then it vanished. “So we were told, yes. That is why, initially, our ancestors waited, mourned, and did not act too hastily. Once Luna the Student was banished, they felt it was time to go into hiding.”

“Did they know who murdered the alicorns?” I asked.

“Do you?” Crimson Dawn cut in, his tone fiery.

I’d struck a nerve. It was clear the nox ponies suspected the House of the Day. “No,” I replied as plainly as I could.

“They did not, but they had suspicions.” Moonlit Star held up a hoof. “On one side, you have three alicorns of the sun. On the other, you have three alicorns of the moon. Remove the mentors, remove the rulers, and you’re left with two students. Two students that somehow managed to escape a power capable of destroying extremely powerful ponies. Is that not convenient?”

My expression did not change, but in my head three words hammered repeatedly: they underestimated me. Princess Celestia had told Princess Luna that. They underestimated me. It was way too convenient.

I swallowed. “Their point is well made…” It was time to change the subject slightly. “Celestia willingly consented to share her rule with her sister upon her return.”

Moonlit Star said quietly, “Ambitions can change in a thousand years.”

Reunification was starting to feel unlikely. The nox ponies were under the impression that Princess Celestia was a usurper. I really needed to get back to Princess Luna.

It was time to keep my mouth busy after all. I started eating the fruit. The others did the same, and we shared a really silent and awkward dinner.

As the meal wound down, Crimson Dawn stood. “I’ll be leaving now, Grandmother, unless you feel I should stay?”

Moonlit Star shook her head. “No, we have nothing to fear from our guest. Go tend to your duties.”

Crimson Dawn nodded and slipped out. At the same time, Tranquil Dusk had started to clean up the table. That seemed as good a time as any to handle a bit of business. I reached into my saddlebag and pulled out the journal.

I set it on the table and pushed it towards her. “Luna the Student used this for us to find you. I found it at another nox pony city. Would you be able to return it to the rightful owner?”

The sound of a wooden bowl clattering on the floor caught my attention. Tranquil Dusk quickly scooped it up and put it away. “Sorry. I’ll be going now, Grandmother,” she said softly. The lithe mare then beat a hasty retreat from the home.

Moonlit Star smiled and picked up the journal in her magic. As it drew close, she lovingly stroked the cover. A little smile played at her lips. “Yes. Of course.”

“You know the pony it belongs to?” I asked.

“Oh, yes. This was my daughter’s journal before she gave it to my granddaughter. I see that Tranquil Dusk has been busy disobeying me. There are few ponies as stealthy as her. Fewer still that can come and go from our home.”

I tried not to smile at the fondness in the matriarch’s voice. “It wasn’t my intention to get anypony into trouble. Luna the Student didn’t feel it was right for us to keep another pony’s journal.”

Moonlit Star shook her head. “Young ponies are either curious about the outside world or frightened it will destroy them. My grandchildren represent both of these views very well. Despite her quiet and polite exterior, Dusk is willful and disobedient, just like her mother was. They’re both just like me, so I can hardly blame her. She feels we should have reached out sooner.”

“I guess she’ll have her wish then,” I replied.

“We shall see…”

Author's Note:

They underestimated me...

Once more I want to thank you all for being loyal and amazing readers! I've been waiting a long time to share the above with you and I hope you'll enjoy my take on a common fan theme.

I also want to thank those of you that have donated to Crystal and myself on Patreon. We hope you enjoy your rewards as they start to arrive in June. We also want to thank those of you that considered donating even though it didn't make financial sense. It is all appreciated!

If you are enjoying this story, please consider taking a look at Crystal and my's website QuillnBlade.com for extra content such as mini stories, Q&B AU wiki, and special rewards for the awesome folks who support our Patreon. We have monthly art give aways, a Q&B Discord RPG, a several other fun gifts for patrons.

PreviousChapters Next