• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 16,700 Views, 1,360 Comments

Fear Me, for My Name is Twaith! - Michael Hudson



My name is Twilight Sparkle, and I am a wraith.

  • ...
90
 1,360
 16,700

Popsicles

The foals looked upon the icy stand in wonder. No pony knew where it had come from, who made it, or even who was running it. All they knew was that it was there, and it had a very simple sign. Bring juice, get a popsicle. Most shuffled in their spots as they continued to watch it in the sweltering heat. Juice wasn’t hard to come by, even for outskirt and slum kids like them, but the lack of a vendor made them cautious, as even young foals knew that down here, if something looked to good to be true, it usually is.

“Aaaagh!” A small blue colt named Heat Beat stomped on his fore hooves. “That is it! I have to have one before I melt!” With that, the little pegasus beat his wings, heading for the local farmer’s market with his two bit allowance on his mind. Many of the others watched in quiet anticipation, ready to see good news come from his attempt so, if nothing else, they could at least rest on the large block of ice where it would be cool.

Heat soon charged back into the clearing, a large gallon of juice in hand. He had had to promise the salespony he would share it, but he was thankful for how kind they had been to sell it for so cheap. What he was not thankful for was now being in the open, only a few feet away from the icy stall. He pushed the cherry liquid in front of him and gently continued to nudge it forward with his muzzle as he stayed low to the ground.

Once he was only about two feet away, the juice was picked up by a black, shadowy aura. It pulled the jug onto the counter and Heat stood wide eyed as he stared at the magic. A single, short, wooden stick came from behind the counter and plunged into the juice. It then slowly came out, a full, frost covered popsicle on the end.

Heat stared at it as it drifted down to him, stick first. He hesitantly moved forward and bit into it before scampering back to the safety of his peers. There, every filly and colt watched him as he took a tentative lick. His eyes widened and he started licking more furiously. “This is awesome!”

The rest of the little ponies took that as the go ahead, and anyone who couldn’t get one from this jug started rushing for home or the market, dependent on how many bits they had on themselves. Heat simply continued sucking on his popsicle, his mind wondering if one day he might be able to make one just as good.

As the day progressed, the foals couldn’t get enough. The ones fortunate to have a blender, or knew some pony with one, started to experiment, setting the poor devices to liquefy and putting whatever they thought might taste good in. This almost stopped when they tried dirt, but in no way did it dampen their spirits, especially Berry Pinch’s. This was because she didn’t have a mood to dampen though.

“Why don’t you have some?”

She buried her muzzle further into her fore hooves, having been under a bush this whole time. Pinch didn’t bother looking at the mare, as she really just wanted to be alone and hoped that she would get that. “I don’t have any juice.”

“That shouldn’t be a problem. Plenty of them have been sharing.”

Pinch shut her eyes at this point. “I don’t want to have to have them share. They already share plenty with me at school.”

“Come now. Your mom must have some juice for you at home, or would at least get you some, right?”

“The only juice my mom would buy is her juice, and that always makes me sick.”

For a few moments, the only sounds that could be heard were the sounds of the other foals playing in the clearing. Their hoots and hollers filled Pinch’s ears, and though she didn’t want to go home, she didn’t want to hear them either. She just barely heard, “I’ll be back,” before wrapping her hooves over her head. And in that position, the minutes passed for her.

The foals stepped back when a dark shadow covered the counter, turning the last spare jug that had been on there into popsicles. Once it cleared though, the words etched into ice said, Gone to lunch. Be back soon. The group groaned for a moment, but stopped the moment one of them accidentally bounced a ball against another. Soon their game was back on, the foals being more then willing to wait for more popsicles.

Almost thirty minutes after the change to the sign, the skies over Canterlot momentarily went dark. From the castle, a swarm came. Ponies panicked in the streets, shops closed their doors, and for one moment, they knew true terror. Then, one of the foals that was still being grabbed by their parents said, “I want the cherry one!”

The clearing became alive with renewed energy as the swarm of popsicles headed their way. It banked and weaved, performing small tricks as the excitement grew and grew. Just before it reached them though, it banked at a ninety degree angle and a sad, pink filly soon found herself cold, and in the air. “Ah!”

“Don’t worry, I know what I’m doing… I hope.”

She looked at the mare that had spoken to her and saw a pretty, purple unicorn in a black cloak. “What is going on?”

Twilight’s smile grew as the started turning them into a loop, the magic and popsicles keeping Berry Pinch safe. “I wasn’t going to stand by and just let you be so sad, not when I could so easily fix it. So, consider this my gift to you.” She held up a hoof as Pinch frowned. “And before you say you don’t want it, remember that I’m older then you and that if you must repay me, repay me with a smile!”

Pinch looked at the ground, spotting her friends as they stared back, felt the wind rushing through her mane, and simply couldn’t help herself. A loud squeal of delight escaped the small pink mare as they continued to fly about, and would only stop once she was on the ground with a popsicle in her mouth. It wouldn’t be until that night at home that Pinch would realize the kind mare had seemingly disappeared once they had landed, but no one would blame her when she had popsicles to be had.

Meanwhile, in the castle, Sunset almost collapsed in front of her homework as one of the maids came in. “Juice, now.”

“Actually, Miss Set, um…” The mare crossed her fore hooves and swallowed hard. “There appears to be no juice left.”


Sunset’s eyes grew wide, one even twitching, but the heat of the day had drained her too much to give anymore of a reaction. She laid down on her desk and groaned before looking out the window. “Do you know what would sound real good right now? A popsicle.” She spent a moment thinking about having an orange cream one and simply groaned more as another bead of sweat came down her face.

Author's Note:

The comment
I'm pretty sure that instead of comedy, my main sources of entertainment will be through cuteness and FEELS!