• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 16,684 Views, 1,360 Comments

Fear Me, for My Name is Twaith! - Michael Hudson



My name is Twilight Sparkle, and I am a wraith.

  • ...
90
 1,360
 16,684

Mother

Author's Note:

Written to release pain pent up within me due to my brother. It's out of place in the timeline, most likely not canon to the rest, and not happy in the slightest. Completely optional, and written and published merely because I felt I had to. Channel the emotions I suppose. If you do read, understand that me and my family are safe, just... scared, and not for me, but for another.

There is no comment. For that, I apologize.

Twilight, Celestia, and Sunset all stood at the top of the hill, overlooking the cliffs of Canterlot while the chill to the rainy day made its way through their cloaks. Twilight swallowed hard as she took a step forward and passed under the metal archway so as to enter the graveyard proper. Glancing back at Celestia, she was gestured forward by the princess. And so, she started passing along the tombstones.

Sunset and Celestia soon followed, keeping their distance as Twilight floated amongst the graves. Twilight had awoken the two of them a few nights ago because of thoughts about her about her past, and when she had realized that she had never figured out what happened to her mother, the three had agreed to come together to her gravesite. Now that they were there though, the two of them knew to give Twilight space. That, and neither wanted to see the ghost cry.

“So, how long do you think it will take her?”

Celestia bit into her cheek. “I think a few minutes at least. I put it in pretty far back to fit when it should have been dug.”

Sunset glanced up. “What do you mean by should? As far as I know, she was still close enough to Clover to have deserved a decent burial on advisor lands.”

Celestia sucked on her lips in as Twilight lowered herself and the flowers in her hooves towards one grave before zipping away to the next. “Back then, deaths like that were even more frowned upon. So much so, that the ponies weren’t allowed proper grave.”

“Deaths like that?”

A soft sigh escaped the princess. “Think about what you would think if the last twenty years of your life was dedicated to trying to fix your final mistake? Fix what you had done to your own family.”

Sunset’s eyes slowly widened as she realized all that Ghastly Aura had done when it came to Twilight. “I… I don’t think I could live with myself, not for even a second.”

“Yes, well, Ghastly made it for twenty years, doing nothing but collect books so as to make our friend as happy as she could.” Celestia lowered her head. “I never understood the note I found in her still hooves. Now, with her in front of us, I do.”

Sunset leaned against Celestia’s side. “May I know what it said?”

“That she was done, and the one who she had dedicated her life was all set to do the great things. She only wished she had never forced her time to be great to wait.”

Sunset knew no response to that, so stayed quiet as they watched Twilight continue to wander around the graves. Both thought the same things as they watched, wondering if she knew what her mother had done, and if the pretty mare hated her for it. A small smile passed over their lips as they thought, No. It isn’t in her to hate for something like that, not after so long, and especially not now that she has me.

Twilight turned around and frowned as she saw the two down the path. “Come on! I know it’s fun to watch me float about, but I could have used your help to find this! Now, are you coming over, or do I get to awkwardly just stand here by myself?”

Celestia chuckled slightly and gestured for Sunset to move forward. Soon the three looked at the small headstone, with only two knowing the signs of age had been caused by magic. On it, it simply stated, Ghastly Aura lies here, a mare who only wished to know how spirits worked. May her time as one bring solace to her questions.

“It sounds like my mom ended up learning a lot, didn’t she?”

Sunset swallowed a lump in her throat. “Yes. We still use many of her observations to this day, especially on wraiths.”

“Well, I guess it helps to have a daughter who is one. Though, with how little she pushed me, I wonder if she ever found another?” Twilight shook her head furiosly, putting her smile back on. “It doesn’t matter. Do you have anything you want to say Celestia?”

Celestia blinked the tears in her eyes away. “Only that I wish I had been closer to her then I had been. I only knew of her by name and talking to Clover. Your mother wasn’t the most… social.”

Twilight laughed slightly as she looked back at the tombstone. “I guess I know where I get it now. Still,” her voice lowered as she does herself, the flowers placing themselves on the freshly moved soil, “I do miss you mom. I love you, and I’m sorry you couldn’t keep stopping by. I know it’s not your fault though, and never will be.”

She rubbed at her eyes before looking back at Sunset and Celestia. “D-do you mind if we go?”

Both nodded, with Sunset nuzzling against Twilight as they walked while Celestia kept a comforting wing over both of them.