• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 16,676 Views, 1,360 Comments

Fear Me, for My Name is Twaith! - Michael Hudson



My name is Twilight Sparkle, and I am a wraith.

  • ...
90
 1,360
 16,676

Pancakes!

Sunset nudged one the main supports to the book fort. The structure quaked, and Sunset dived to save the column, forgetting for a moment that the hut was made out of books, not stone. A muffled yelp and hiss came from within as the roof came down with the rest of it. Ever so slowly, Twilight floated out with crossed front hooves. “What was that for?”

Sunset blushed slightly and swallowed hard. “Look, I’m not good at this, so, can we drop the home destruction and have you simply…” She stopped talking as a black aura came over all the books and they came over Sunset before promptly being released. “Mmf!”

“Okay, now I have dropped it.” Twilight simply giggled as Sunset threw a book through her.

“Do you want to make pancakes?”

Twilight tilted her head. “What is a pancake?”

Sunset blinked a few times before grabbing Twilight with her magic. “You are coming with me, now!”

Twilight leaned back and brought a book to herself as she was taken to the royal kitchens. She immediately sought out a cookbook to find this treat while staying invisible from the chefs around the place. Sunset picked up the milk and flour before pointing to the eggs and mouthing three. Twilight nodded, focused real hard to keep her invisibility up while grabbing the three eggs, and rushed back.

Crack

The head chef pony stared at the yolk on his face, glanced at the other ponies in the kitchen, and acted like nothing had happened. It was better to have yoke on his face than be called insane, or at least in his mind. Sunset and Twilight on the other hand couldn’t stop snickering. They eventually were able to focus on the pancakes again, and Twilight stirred while Sunset got the condiments. Many chefs followed their leader’s example and simply ignored the whisk that was moving itself.

Celestia soon entered the early morning kitchen, there for what she always was there for. A quick scan of the room caused her to weakly waved to Sunset, mumble something to a chef, and to dump a whole bag of chocolate chips into the pancake batter. Twilight looked at Sunset who shook her head and walked over to Celestia.

“Coffee?” She watched as Celestia groaned and waved a hoof at the air before letting it lazily fall back to her side. Sunset nodded, and gave the princess her very much so needed caffeine. The kitchen staff put on their regular blinders and Sunset shut her eyes and added a layer of magical protection in preparation for what was to come. Twilight, only got closer.

Gulp, gulp, gulp. “Ahh.” Celestia smiled and let her body relax for a moment, just as she had every morning before finding this wonderful nectar of the gods. There was one drawback, but Twilight’s screams of agony as her retinas were seared by Celestia’s burst of magic as it woke up were well worth the benefit of being able to move for the first half of the day. “So, pancakes?”

“I don’t think I’ll be able to read again!”

Sunset grabbed Twilight with her magic and helped her to rest in the dining hall. “Give it half an hour while I finish up the pancakes. It hurts, but if it actually caused a problem, Celestia would have stopped drinking coffee a long time ago. Besides, it’s well worth it for those days where someone accidentally makes decaf.”

Twilight chuckled, having seen the almost dead Celestia and imagining what that might be like for an extended period of time. Sunset, content with her friend being okay, moved back into the kitchen. Upon coming out with Celestia and three plates of chocolate chip pancakes with whip cream coming out, a giggle escaped her and the princess as Twilight was already back to reading. “You ready to hear the praise for your wonderful stirring skills?”

Twilight floated upward and did a small curtsy with the edges of her cloak. “Shower me with your praise.”

Sunset and Celestia both bit into their light, fluffy treats and moaned in pleasure. Celestia knew Sunset could make some of the best pancakes in Equestria, even if she normally lit everything else on fire and still demanded that it was amazing, and these were no exception. Twilight squirmed in the air as two continued to eat and exclaim. She focused and sniffed, being able to just for a moment get a whiff of the delectable entrees.

She floated down and put her hooves into the table as she stared at the pancakes. She leaned forward and bit at it, but only got a chuckle as half of her head simply vanished into the food. Twilight came out and glared at the fellow unicorn before focusing and turning tangible again, only this time she took a large bit and pulled. The piece fell out of her as the pancakes crashed to the ground.

Celestia jumped at the sudden disturbance to the peace and sighed. “I’m sorry Twilight if we’re causing you a problem. Sunset, perhaps you could clean that up for her?”

Sunset hopped down from her chair and gave Twilight a brief sile. “Well, I guess my pancakes just can’t beat thousand year old recipes, can they?”

Twilight rubbed her hooves. She didn’t want Sunset to think she didn’t like the pancakes. The mare had worked hard on those and deserved praise, just like she had for her phenomenal whisk skills. She thought for a few moments, and just as Sunset went to eat more of her pancakes, they were chucked into the fireplace.

“Wh-wha? Why did you?”

“I’m hoping that now their spirits will come up and I’ll be able to sample them then.”

Sunset watched as Twilight simply continued to float there. Her horn started to spark and arc electricity as she bent low. “They were my pancakes! Only I burn my pancakes!”

Celestia threw up a protective spell to combat her student’s angry outburst, giving herself a quick reminder that it had been some time since the two of them had talked about controlling one’s emotions, at least in coordination with their emotions. At least, that was until she opened her eyes. “Sunset?”

She turned around and stomped on the floor. “What is i-ah, ah, um.” She swallowed hard as Celestia got down from her chair and the away from the burnt pile that was left of her pancakes.

“Are there anymore left?”

“Hey, you at least got some!”

“Twilight, you aren’t helping.” Sunset turned back to Celestia and swallowed hard. “No?”

The janitor later would be quite perplexed how the dining room had come to be so thoroughly scarred by magical radiation, ice, and fire. So much fire. He would always have his theories though, the most commonly ridiculed being: pancakes.