• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 16,684 Views, 1,360 Comments

Fear Me, for My Name is Twaith! - Michael Hudson



My name is Twilight Sparkle, and I am a wraith.

  • ...
90
 1,360
 16,684

A New Chance?

Twilight turned to the sounds of hoofsteps as they made their way down the catacomb’s corridors. She considered vanishing, of drifting into the stone where they could not find her. Instead though, she simply turned the page and waited.

The hooves came to next to her head, and she heard the soft melody of Celestia’s voice drift in. “You know Sunset is furious, right? Though, Rainbow Dash was the only one ready to attack me to find out where you had gone.”

Twilight turned her gaze to the princess, before to the stone below her. “And what did you tell them?”

Celestia lowered herself so as to lay besides the smaller mare. “Well, I listened to your letter and told them that you were okay, but that I wasn’t allowed to tell them where you were.”

The wraith nodded as she turned back to her book. Her essence trembled as she thought, and she couldn’t help but begin dropping the temperature as she felt the fear invade her. “Then… then you know why you were allowed to come, right?”

“I do, but I can’t.”

Twilight turned to Celestia, at first in simple shock, before ice sprang out from underneath her and she floated upwards. “You can! I know how much magical power you have in you. If I don’t bring up my defenses, you can remove me. I don’t have to be afraid, I won’t put anypony at risk, it can just be over!”

Celestia brought herself up as flames licked the edges of her mane. “And you think I could just kill a pony I love and cherish? You think it would be easy for me to abandon the joy you have brought me, and all of those around you, just because you’re starting to have bad thoughts? We all have bad thoughts, it is our decision to act on them that matters!”

Twilight blinked a few times as she watched tears come down Celestia’s face. She… she had never seen Celestia cry before, or even get this worked up about something. And yet, now she did, just for her. The wraith looked back to the ground, shame filling her as she pushed back the darkness that tried edging into her thoughts about the princess. “I’m… I’m sorry.”

Celestia panted for another moment, before taking in a deep breath. “I am too. I shouldn’t have gotten so worked up I suppose.”

“No, it’s fine. You have good reason to.” Twilight rubbed her forehooves together now, uncertain as to what came now “Um, so, if you’re not here because of my letter, what does bring you here?”

Celestia bit into her cheek before shaking her head. This was the best course of action she could think of, at least, for now. “I know why you want this time to yourself, but I think retreating down here is the wrong answer. You need friends in trying parts of your life, and I think I can give you both.”

Twilight was silent for another moment, before slowly nodding. “Okay. I trust you.”

The princess smiled at her little wraith, and brought up a hoof to gently pet the mare’s cheek. “A kingdom of Equestria called The Crystal Empire finally re-appeared after a thousand years of absence in the far north. Luna and I agreed that the shadows up there do not feel like they have returned, or if they were going to, they should have by now. So, we thought it would be safe to send you, along with Shining Armor and Cadance. The tundra will be able to give you time to yourself, while the town will enable you to have purpose, and help when you can. How does that sound?”

Twilight sucked in her lips as she considered it, before turning away. “I like this place. I spent centuries here, safe and sound. I was… happy.”

Celestia placed a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder. “There is a difference between contentment, and happiness. Can you honestly tell me that you were truly happy down here?”

The wraith’s glowing, green eyes lowered, before she shut them and felt her essence shook. She had read the same books for years. Over and over, she could almost recite these books from heart. Even before Celestia came though, she had hesitated to read them, and in fact had opted for only the books she had brought down with her.

She stared at the wall and put a hoof onto it. “Do… Do you think it would have been better if you had never found me?”

“Since you’re asking me, do you?”

A long silence filled the air again, before Twilight turned to Celestia. “You all have made me happier than I’ve ever been, and… and I don’t want to give that up, so if you think that going with Cadance and Shining Armor would allow me not to lose you… Then yes, I want to go.”

Celestia nodded. “They leave in a few days, so what should I tell everypony else?”

Twilight bit into her cheek. “Tell them… Tell them that I know how much they care, but that I just can’t face them.. Please.”

Celestia wrapped a hoof around the wraith, and pulled her in close. “At least now you’re remembering that we’re here for you. We’re always here for you.”

Author's Note:

Next update is going to be delayed a touch to February 9th, because of personal reasons. Props to anyone who figures out why the date is special.

Important Stuff: The reason this bubble has to exist at all is because of chapters like this. What is to come is not comedic, it's not romantic, but instead it's dark, dangerous, and ill fitting for Twaith, even though it is the next part of her story. Therefore, this next part,