• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 16,640 Views, 1,360 Comments

Fear Me, for My Name is Twaith! - Michael Hudson



My name is Twilight Sparkle, and I am a wraith.

  • ...
90
 1,360
 16,640

A Cold Greeting

Twilight glided past a large mound of ice, circling the tip as she looked upon the blankscape she had been flying through for almost an hour now. Celestia had been right that the tundra would give her a good place to think, and flying around her made her remember the good that her powers brought her. A smile came to her face as she looked back at the name she had carved into the ice with her boosters in tribute to her flight coach. “Alright Rainbow, watch this.”

She let herself fall down the side of the mountain, picking up speed with each second. She opened her eyes and looked out to the large spire in the distance. She had spent her first day in the city with Cadance and Shining Armor, and it was nice enough. but here she felt safe though. She had nopony she could hurt, and she could remember the fun her magic could cause. The ice around her though also made her wonder if she could do all of this herself, and she wished she could shake those thoughts.

Just as she was about to float through the ground, she stopped herself dead, before launching herself like a missile across the ice. Her hooves tapped through the snow beneath her as large plumes came up behind her, and she giggled at trying to pretend to be this fast at almost a trot. “Now if only I had somepony to joke with me about all of this.”

While I may not be able to joke, perhaps I can help the fear I can feel coming off of you?

The snow caught up with Twilight as she slowed down, and she could feel her essence shaking from the voice. She had felt it more than she had heard it, and she did not want the darkness within her speaking to her, not again. The solitude was supposed to be here to prevent that.

I am not the hole within you that wishes to be filled, but somepony who wishes to help.

Twilight lifted herself out of the new snow mountain she had created, and surveyed the landscape. No matter which direction she looked though, there was nopony. She shut her eyes and tried finding the magic the other being must have been using.

It’s like a radio. I’m already matched with your frequency, so you just need to send it out.

Twilight blinked as she heard the voice, and she wondered how he could tell what she had been doing. “Then again, you are already connected with me it seems.”

Only slightly. I would never be able to connect with you as I hope to without your permission, even if it will help me fix you.

Twilight turned her head towards the sender, smiling as she used a revised detect magic that she learned from Trixie. She bent her legs, before blowing the snow behind her away and launching herself through the tundra. Her curiosity was piqued, and she had to see what this thing had to offer, no matter what.

She drifted through the walls of a snow covered cave, and found herself looking down upon a black stallion with a red horn. Her essence bristled at the sight of him, and the darkness in the deepest pits of her reached out. It almost immediately retracted as the stallion glowed black. He turned around and looked to her, before smiling, even though half of his jaw was lacking any skin or muscle. “Hello there. I’ve been expecting you.”

She floated back for a moment, her essence shrinking herself as she stared at him. Now that she was closer, she could see that more of his body was missing the skin that one would think would be crucial for a pony. She could also tell sharp canines in his jaw as he smiled. “So… what are you?”

He held a hoof to his chest as he humbly bowed his head. “I am a lich, a being created through specific rituals done upon a unicorn to allow them to escape the trappings of death, but also avoid the pitfalls of becoming a wraith, or the uncertainty. The price I had to pay was to be trapped here for quite some time, but I am finally free.” He stepped even closer and extended a hoof towards Twilight. “If I may know, could you let me know why you’re here? It will help me help you.”

Twilight pursed her lips for a moment as she continued to stare at the smiling stallion. her essence was fairly divided on how to react to him, but she knew one thing. He was the only being she had met that knew anything about her condition, or offered a way to fix it. “My name is Twilight, and I came here so I can make sure I don’t hurt those I care about. I… I don’t even know why.”

The stallion pulled on the mare and brought her closer. “I do, and I can help you, I promise. However,” he tapped his chin, “We may want to make sure your friends can’t come first, but I doubt either one of us alone could do it.”

Twilight shook her head. “They aren’t coming, Celestia promised me they wouldn’t.”

“Oh, and you think that would actually stop them?”

“...” Twilight looked to the ground. “What did you have in mind?”

Sombra patted her head as he sighed. “If we link ourselves, a deep link that will make sure our essences are connected at all times, we could make sure no train is coming here for a long time. That should buy us plenty of time for me to treat your condition.”

There was another pause from Twilight, before she looked to him, a twinkle in her eyes now as she frowned slightly. “That could hurt a lot of ponies.”

“You could hurt a lot of ponies. At least this way, it’s only once.”

She tried to keep eye contact, but soon turned away. “What do I need to do?”

“Just stand right there.”

Twilight’s eyes widened as she felt his hand go into her, and she felt a rope lash itself around the her that still stood within the darkness. It chilled her to the core, but she could feel the darkness push back now. It seemed almost afraid of this stallion and what he may do, which were all good signs in this case.

Her power was then slipped out of her, and she watched as his horn glowed a black and blue. Far off in the distance, she could hear the crashing and cracking of ice, and could see the cave shake in response to the earthquake. “Y-you aren’t killing anypony, right?”

The stallion opened one eye as his panting grew louder. “N-no, of course not. That would make me the bad guy, wouldn’t it?”

Twilight bit into her cheek, before chuckling a bit. “That’s a good point, and thank you. This world means a lot to me, and I don’t want to hurt anypony because of my fear, or from trying to cure it.”

He chuckled for a moment, before extending his hoof again. “Well than, please, do not fear me, for my name is Sombra, and I will make sure that the pain you cause is minimal as you find your way to the best you, you can be.”

Twilight smiled back and took his hoof. “Thank you, Sombra.”

Author's Note:

Is in Save Me, for My Name is Twaith. It is a direct continuation from this chapter, so next in the timeline, which is another reason for the bubble. I do not wish to stop updating this though, so the two stories will run side by side, being updated together.

Now, with all that nastiness out of the way, expect a happier offshoot of Twaith... hopefully, on Valentine's day, and please, leave me comments for new chapters.

And I promise, Save Me is leading to something good further down the line for the series, I just can't say what.