• Published 10th Apr 2015
  • 3,031 Views, 1,620 Comments

The Apple Falls Far from the Tree - David Silver



Applejack has returned from her Everglow adventure with magic all her own. Magic that her little sister and friends want to investigate. What could go wrong when the Apple family falls far from the tree without Twilight to rely on? Ponyfinder/MLP

  • ...
17
 1,620
 3,031

PreviousChapters Next
24 - The Sun Rises

Sunflower sat impatiently in the solarium. The room was quite warm with the high sun, but the priest beside the wrapped form of his mother stood patiently, waiting for just the right time. His mother's inert form was laid out in a bed of diamonds, representing enough wealth to keep the manor running comfortably for quite some time.

Sunflower frowned, but no words would convince the Sun King priest to proceed. He had said, "I have felt it. He will smile most brightly when his sun is highest in the sky." The words had done nothing to make Sunflower more patient. It was supposed to be at dawn, not noon!

"It'll be OK." Sweetie Belle smiled from her seat beside Sunflower.

Applejack nodded from behind. "Reckon it's about time."

The priest apparently agreed as he raised his paws to the sky. "Oh glorious Sun King, behold as this one seeks to bask in the warmth of your sun. Her own child has sacrificed and labored to make this possible. Honor his work and fill her with your own spark of life. Her life is not yet completed." He began to intone a soft prayer in an odd dialect, bowing his head towards the body as the sun shone bright and hot straight above. As he spoke, the diamonds began to vanish one by one, drawn away in whatever strange exchange the spell demanded. All were silent save the priest until the last one was gone.

Willow sat up sharply with a ragged gasp, clawing herself free of the shroud over herself and starting to pant in surprise and shock. Sunflower jumped from his seat and rushed the dais. With spread wings he flew into her arms, and much of her panic subsided. They embraced tightly as Sunflower began excitedly talking to her through his own tears. "Mom! I... We went adventuring! We got what you needed. Welcome back Mom!"

Willow set a fingertip on Sunflower's nose. "Precious child of mine, I'm dizzy and tired. Let me hug you." And hug they did, rocking back and forth quietly. The priest had the good manners to not interrupt, simply bowing and moving to quietly depart.

Applejack and the Crusaders advanced after the cleric took his leave. Applejack took her hat off and held it to her chest, balancing the hat on her hoof with a practiced touch. "Welcome back, Willow. Good to see ya up and about."

Willow turned Sunflower around to face his friends and hugged him from behind. "Is it you I have to thank for my child's safety? I imagine he would have gone and risked his hide with or without you."

Applejack chuckled ruefully. "I know that feelin'."

Apple Bloom softly nudged Applejack. "Hey, ah saved ya last time!"

"Ya did." Applejack nodded. "They've been very resourceful. Yer mother was plum ready to sell the manor fer ya, but these amazing little foals and kitten wouldn't stand fer it."

Willow's eyes contracted into slits. "What? She would have done that? Where is she?"

Scootaloo pointed towards the house. "She said being in the heat for so long would be bad for her. She wanted you to come visit her as soon as you felt up for it."

Willow threw a leg over the side and was soon standing on her hindpaws shakily, holding Sunflower close. "I should do that. I owe her much, starting with an apology. Thank you, all of you."

Sweetie raised a hoof at Willow. "One moment. I know you'd probably like to forget all about it, but what happened that night?"

Willow's expression soured. "I would prefer to not speak of that. If I ever see that she-cat again, I will rip her heart out in return and dine on it as a fine repast." Her tail lashed angrily as a growl escaped her. "Enough of that. I have a mother to speak to."

Sunflower departed in his mother's arms, offering no objection to the treatment. They went towards the main house. Applejack looked to the fillies around her. "Well, we did it. They're back togetha again. Y'all should be proud. Now, about gettin' ourselves back home. Ah don't know if Twilight can find us here or not."

Apple Bloom suddenly sat up. "Didn't Zecora find Twilight before? She could probably find us."

Scootaloo peeked around. "She could be watching us now, right? How would we tell?"

Sweetie shrugged softly. "I don't think we do."

Applejack tapped her chin. "Celestia has a spell to reach Everglow, but ah haven't seen her use it fer us yet. Maybe she needs to reach us first? There's a temple-library in Viljatown that knows how to get a letter her way. That's why ah want to get there."

Apple Bloom bobbed her head. "Then that's where we need to go! It's just a walk, how bad is walking?"

Sweetie shook her head. "It's not the walking, it's the monsters we might run into while walking."

Scootaloo drew her rapier. "Then we'll fight them!"

Apple Bloom pointed at the rapier. "Isn't that an heirloom of the Longtails? Ah reckon we should give it back now that Willow's back."

Scootaloo sagged a bit and put the rapier away. "But I like it... I'm gonna go ask if I can keep it!" She vanished off on quick wings. She was no Rainbow Dash, but flying was clearly an experience she was enjoying.

Sweetie shook her head a little. "I guess it won't hurt to ask, but she should be ready to give it back. It's not hers." She began walking out of the hot solarium. "I'm ready for a nice tall glass of water. Who's with me?" A chorus of affirmation came from the others and soon they were all headed back for the manor.

As it turned out, Lady Longtail did let Scootaloo keep her weapon, and all the other heirlooms they had 'borrowed'. "You're doing our family proud, and you have already done us a great service. They're not doing any good in the armory, just rotting quietly. Please, keep them, and I hope they keep you and yours safe."

Willow later arrived in their room, garbed in new clothing and looking significantly fresher than when she first awoke. "I am told you were far from idle while I rested in the Sun King's embrace. We should speak."

Applejack raised a brow. "What's on yer mind? Sorry fer puttin' yer, uh, kitten in harm's way."

Willow waved off Applejack's statement. "He put himself there, with great pride and little thought. Mother mentioned you wanted to get to Viljatown?"

Sweetie bobbed her head. "We have to get there to send a letter to the Princess!"

Willow nodded. "It is a perilous journey. When do we depart?"

Apple Bloom tilted her head. "We?"

Willow's tail snagged on the door and pulled it open behind herself. Sunflower rushed into the room. "Did you think you could get rid of me that easily?!"

Willow smiled gently. "I have a debt to repay. You have shown me, and my family, great kindness." She gestured at Sunflower. "Besides, no amount of talking will convince him not to follow you to the ends of Everglow. I would rather be at his side."

Applejack nodded at Willow. "Ah hear ya there. Welcome to the 'adults worried sick 'bout their youngins' association. We're outta membership badges at tha moment."

Willow raised a brow. "They are not actually yours, are they? I recall otherwise."

Applejack shook her head. "Nah. Mah sister," She gestured at Apple Bloom, "and her friends. Ah'm mighty proud, they've gotten into this more seriously than ah ever saw them before."

Apple Bloom shrugged softly. "Makin' potions feels right, and we have ta do what we have ta do, right?"

Sweetie bobbed her head. "Singing helps keep everypony safe and makes them feel better after all that nasty fighting."

Scootaloo grinned broadly. "Magic is fun, and fighting is exciting! I never felt so alive before. I was missing a real challenge."

Willow let out a gentle sigh. "It sounds as if our little ones are rising to their destinies."

The word destiny brought a moment of flank-checking, but there was nothing to see. Willow looked confused. "What are you looking for? Your legs seem fine."

Sweetie gestured at her blank flank. "We were hoping we got our cutie marks. I was so sure that time!"

Sunflower scratched himself behind an ear. "Cutie mark?"

Applejack pointed back at her three apples. "Ah believe y'all call them 'brands of destiny' or whatever."

Willow shook her head. "I'm no expert on ponies, but I've never heard of a pony 'gaining' a brand. They are given in the womb, and permanent until death. It is a divine mark, I'm told. It would take a god to change one, or give one."

Apple Bloom tapped at her chin softly. "Maybe we can't even get one until we get back ta Equestria?"

Sweetie clopped her hooves together. "Then we know what we have to do!"

Three hooves quickly met, joined afterwards by Sunflower's paw. "Cutie Mark Crusaders Caravan Masters!"

Applejack shook her head before looking to Willow. "Alrighty then. So what do we have ta do ta get this moving?"

Willow rose up onto her hindlegs and moved to a writing desk. She set out a scroll and unfurled it. "I came prepared for that question. There are two caravans leaving shortly. One in three days, one a week after that. It's your choice which you want to go with."

Applejack raised a brow. "Why wouldn't we take tha first one?"

"There are more cats on the second one. Safety in numbers. Of course..." She rolled a paw and frowned. "Cats aren't always good news. Most of them will just want to get to where they're going, quietly and quickly, but you're not just another cat. You're a pony, with foals."

Apple Bloom puffed up. "We're not just foals! We can handle ourselves."

Willow fell back to all fours quietly. "I'm sure others could handle you as well. You've been very brave, but you're not the biggest, most experienced, strongest, or smartest things out there."

Sweetie gestured to the left. "But if we take the other one, less cats, more monsters?"

"That is a fair summary." Willow set a paw on her chest. "I will accompany you to Viljatown, whichever you decide. I owe you that much at least."

Scootaloo snorted. "I'd rather deal with monsters. Monsters are straightforward."

Apple Bloom nodded a little. "I think Scoots has a good point. We know how to handle monsters."

Sweetie was the voice of dissent. "I think we can be friends with the cats. I'd rather get along with them and not deal with horrible monsters."

Applejack looked thoughtful as she approached and looked over the map and schedule. This was an important decision, and not one she would make too hastily.

Author's Note:

Which one should they go for?

Which one has less typos?

PreviousChapters Next