• Published 10th Apr 2015
  • 3,030 Views, 1,620 Comments

The Apple Falls Far from the Tree - David Silver



Applejack has returned from her Everglow adventure with magic all her own. Magic that her little sister and friends want to investigate. What could go wrong when the Apple family falls far from the tree without Twilight to rely on? Ponyfinder/MLP

  • ...
17
 1,620
 3,030

PreviousChapters Next
59 - Into the Everfree

Applejack led the way into the foreboding thickets of the Everfree. "We won't be stickin' to the paths none. We want ta get attention, ya see? Tha more aggressive, tha better." She drew the scythe from her back, holding it in her muzzle easily. It felt so light and ready, it was like it was barely there to begin with.

Rainbow flew just behind and above Applejack, flying at a sedate rate with her friend while staring with a frown at the scythe that seemed to be forcing her along a road she didn't like. "Yeah, the better..."

Applejack suddenly looked over her shoulder up at Rainbow. "Stop starin' like that, yer makin' him nervous."

Rainbow blinked softly. "Uh, AJ, it's a weapon, not a pony. I can't make it nervous."

Applejack snorted softly and pushed on through the brambles with a swipe of her head, cutting them aside. "Did ya hear that?"

Rainbow tilted her head, trying to hear whatever Applejack was referring to, but it found them first. A cockatrice jumped from the bushes with an angry hiss, charging right for Applejack. She pulled her head back, scythe at the ready for it even as touches of grey began to show around her hooves. The moment it came into range, Severance was brought down in a deadly arc, bisecting the creature.

Instead of the wild spray of blood Rainbow was expecting, it simply staggered and collapsed at Applejack's hooves with a final defeated squawk. "Uh... What did you just do?"

Applejack slipped the scythe onto her back and pulled out some rope, tying up the cockatrice, one thick band going over its eyes. "We done captured our first varmint. Fluttershy can teach it ta stop being so ornery and it can protect the ponies of the town instead of being a threat." She smiled up at Rainbow dash. "Doesn't that sound a mite better?"

Rainbow landed softly on the forest floor, looking quizzical indeed. "Uh, I mean... Yeah, actually, that does. You alright? You were starting to... you know?"

Applejack stomped a hoof on the ground, shattering the thin shell of stone that had formed there. "Ah'm fine. It didn't have near long enough ta get me." She turned to face Rainbow. "Do ya see what I wanna do?" Her eyes were full of hope. "We can turn this whole forest here into an asset instead of a danger. The... The Night Mare may be a mighty frightful mare, but she ain't wrong about this. The critters in here'll be happier if we feed 'em, and we'll be happier with them not tryin' to eat us."

Rainbow gave a hesitant nod. "Sure, alright. I can get behind that, just..." she raised a hoof. "No more bringing the hammer, or scythe, down on ponies." She trotted around Applejack. "Unless you're already forgetting most ponies are already nice, and the ones that aren't are usually more confused than... you know... evil?"

Applejack winced. "Ah already said ah'm sorry fer doin' that! It was a mistake. Ah won't do it again." She set her rump on the floor. "You want me ta be quicker about offerin' mercy, how about ya start with me?"

Rainbow Dash looked at the sorrowful eyes of the pony she liked a great deal and shuffled in place. "Well... So long as you promise, we're cool. I don't have any problem with you clobbering some monsters." She moved up to the unconscious cockatrice, gently poking it with a hoof. "You didn't even leave a mark on it..."

Applejack smiled. "Ah 'course not! Ah'm not trying ta be mean, just catch it so we can reform it. That was my mistake, y'see. Ya can't reform nopony by sendin' them far away. Ah shoulda caught those little fillies and taught them personal-like until they stopped being such bullies. Ah just lost mah temper and did something right foolish." She suddenly paused in thought. "Do ya think ah should be punished?"

Rainbow perked an ear. "What?"

"Punished." She tilted her head. "Ya know, for doin' wrong. Ah trust you, go on, decide on somethin', then we'll move on ta better things."

Rainbow frowned, unsure how to properly parse what was going on. Applejack wanted to be punished? Well... "The scythe."

"What about it?" Applejack raised a brow.

Rainbow held out a hoof. "Give it up for a week."

Applejack went rigid, teeth clenching and shuffling half a step away from Rainbow before stopping and going limp. Her head sank. "We should get outta here before we do that. Ya promise ta give it back? Ah seen ya starin' at it all unkind-like. Promise."

Rainbow Dash gave a relieved smile, feeling hope blossom in her chest. "I absolutely promise. If you want the scythe back after the week's up, I'll hoof it over personally. Pinkie Promise." She did the gesture, ending with a poke in the eye. "But! You have to not ask about it or try to get it back before the week's up, or we add another week."

Applejack held up a hoof. "Scout's honor! Once we're out of here, Ah'll give it up and not ask fer it until noon next week today."

They trotted out of the forest with their still-sleeping cockatrice. Rainbow gently bumped into Applejack's side, looking happier, and Applejack returned the gesture, the friction between them lessened to an almost giddy relief.

Once they were free of the trees, Applejack put the scythe down hesitantly and backed away from it. "There, take it. Just remember ya promised, one week."

Rainbow advanced on it and gently batted it away a little. "Uh, give me a second, AJ. I'll be right back." Knowing it would sting, she steeled herself then scooped it up in her mouth. She threw herself into the sky and flew home as quick as she could, getting it on her dining-room table as quickly as she could, whimpering a little at the renewed hurting in her mouth. The price one paid for their friends. After gulping down some water and catching her breath, she returned to find Applejack waiting patiently.

"Let's head ta Fluttershy. She's the only one ah reckon can tame this bird/lizard critter." She turned and started walking and Rainbow followed alongside. "Do ya think she ever tried ta make friends with a cockatrice before?"

Rainbow shook her head. "I doubt that. The closest I heard was one time she used the stare on one and got it to back off, but they weren't friends." She rubbed behind her head. "So, uh... how long have you... had feelings for me?"

Applejack stopped in place, flushing a bright red through her fur. "Oh, uh... Ah think it was when we did the runnin' of tha leaves? Ah was so furious with ya... but ya wouldn't get out of mah head." She licked over her lips lightly. "Watchin' ya run like a proper earth pony... yer a right work of art, Dash, on tha ground or in tha air." She shook her head. "Ah sound like a love-struck little filly. Ya must think Ah'm so..."

Rainbow softly bumped against Applejack. "Hey, relax!" She reared up onto hind-legs and spread her hooves. "We're practically sisters. I'm not upset, AJ, it's just... Look, I don't like lying about as much as you don't. I'm really worried that scythe is messing with your head." She fell back to all fours. "And I really like what's in that head already."

Applejack frowned. "Yer not gonna steal mah scythe now, are ya?"

Rainbow shook her head. "We made a promise. I'll give it back, but... come on... You haven't been acting yourself."

Applejack grunted softly. "Ah made a mistake! Ah'm sorry! Yer supposed to forgive me now. I did what ya asked all the way."

Rainbow shuffled a little in place. "I guess you did... Even if you did stretch the truth a bit with Filthy." She rubbed behind her own head with a hoof. "Though I guess that was probably for the best..."

Applejack nodded. "Exactly! Besides, look, no scythe. Now tell me straight. Do ya like me back or not? Ah'm a big girl. If Ah'm barkin' up tha wrong tree, just tell me."

Rainbow internally screamed. She wanted to throw herself at Applejack and hold her and tell her everything was fine, but how could she know this was the real Applejack, and that the real Applejack wouldn't hate her guts afterwards? "I..."

Applejack turned away with a hurt expression. "It's fine. Like ah said, ah'm a big girl." She trotted off with the cockatrice, seeming to take the delay for a denial.

Rainbow dashed after Applejack and tackled her to the ground. "No! You don't get to do that!"

Applejack rolled over beneath Rainbow and shoved her off with her powerful legs. "Get ta do what?" She was back on her hooves in a flash, snorting and looking agitated.

Rainbow flared her wings wide. "I am totally in love with you, Applejack."

Applejack took a step back as if slapped across the snout. "Y-you do? Ah mean, ya are?"

Rainbow folded her wings tightly. "I just want to be sure the Applejack I love is the one I'm talking to. I just want to be sure I'm telling the right Applejack my feelings. I just... don't want the real Applejack... to hate me." A single angry tear escaped from her as she glared at Applejack.

Applejack trembled and pawed at the ground, unsure what to say or do. "It's... Ah'm still Applejack. Why wouldn't I be the real Applejack?"

Rainbow stomped the ground. "The real Applejack wouldn't try to steal my heart! You reached for it, and your hooves were cold and terrible."

Applejack winced, a few tears of her own starting to form. "Ah... didn't... what do you mean?"

Rainbow lifted a hoof to her chest. "I felt it, just before you decided on me being your right-hoof mare. You tried to take my heart, to... force me." She flashed a brief smile. "I was way too awesome for that to work on, but I still felt it, and it was dark and cold. It wasn't Applejack. The Applejack I know would just tell me straight and--"

Applejack perked up. "That's what I just did!"

Rainbow pointed at Applejack. "It's the scythe, AJ... It wants to help you, but it's evil. It doesn't care who gets run over so long as you're happy." She swallowed heavily. "If you... promise to throw it away, like... forsake it, I'll be your marefriend right this very instant."

Applejack clenched her teeth. "That's a dangerous path, sugarcube. What if ah don't?"

Rainbow sagged a little. "Then I won't. I can't. I won't do it until I know I'm hugging my Applejack."

Applejack's breathing became erratic as she stomped the ground with a hoof, then did so with another, throwing a bit of a temper tantrum. "Ah just wanna do what's right fer everypony! Even ya agreed we were doin' the right thing!"

Rainbow advanced on Applejack until their eyes met. "I will never abandon you, Applejack. If you want to do this, we'll do it together, and we don't need any stupid scythes to do it with."

Applejack stared into those bright eyes, and the darkness offered by the scythe seemed pale in comparison. She wanted the company of the bright-blue pegasus, walking side-by-side, not... With the scythe so far away, she was starting to forget what was so good about it, but she could clearly see, hear, and even smell what was great about Rainbow Danger Dash. "Ah..."

Her weak sentence was cut off with a sudden fierce kiss. Though she had strength enough to throw Rainbow Dash away, she yielded to it, melting into it as they collapsed together. The warmth she felt from her future marefriend was so bright... How could she have been misled by the cold steel of that weapon?

Rainbow pulled back with a soft gasp. "Am I talking to the real Applejack?"

Applejack smiled, tears staining her snout. "Ya sure are... Ah was so dumb... Will ya--" Her words were cut off by a sudden wet splitting sound and Rainbow's expression of shock and pain. The scythe was lodged through her, embedded in her like a cruel curved spike. Rainbow sagged with a bloody gurgle, losing consciousness.

Applejack sprung to her hooves, looking around for who wielded the weapon, but saw nothing. In a panic she dropped the cockatrice off her back and gathered up the heavily-bleeding Rainbow Dash, but barely made it a step before she was surrounded by the Crusaders. Sweetie was singing soft songs of restoration for the injured Rainbow Dash while Scootaloo and Sunflower moved for the weapon. Apple Bloom moved in front of Applejack. "We're here. Everything's gonna be alright!"

"Ah... Ah didn't do it! Ah swear!" Applejack's eyes were wide and wild, irises contracted with abject terror. "I-is she alright? S-s-save her!"

Apple Bloom nodded quickly. "We saw everythin', we know. That weapon jus' flew outta nowhere!"

Applejack suddenly tensed. "Ya saw... everythin'?"

Apple Bloom snorted, but was happy to keep Applejack's attentions on her and let her friends work. "Everythin'. Ah didn't know Rainbow Dash was such a good kisser."

Applejack went cherry red. "That wasn't fer little fillies ta see!"

Apple Bloom gave a gentle smile. "Ah'm not a little filly anymore, sis. Lay down and relax. We got this."

Applejack slowly sank back down and looked over her shoulder. The scythe had been removed and was being held down under Sunflower, though it seemed to be trying to get out from underneath him. Sweetie's soft songs had closed the horrible wounds in Rainbow Dash. "All out," cried Sweetie, and Apple Bloom moved in to replace her, pulling free a potion and carefully feeding it to Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow jerked away about halfway into the flask, coughing and sputtering, but clearly conscious. "What happened?! Apple Bloom?"

Applejack gentle smiled. "Relax, sugarcube. Our little ones just saved our hides."

Scootaloo grinned at Rainbow Dash. "Cutie Mark Crusaders, emergency triage?"

Rainbow Dash snorted softly, but had a bit of a smile. "Thanks for the assist, but really, what happened?"

Apple Bloom pointed across to where Sunflower was keeping the scythe pinned down. "Applejack's weapon just came flyin' outta the sky and got ya good. Are ya alright?"

Rainbow rose to her hooves, wobbling a little. "Nothing I can't walk off!"

Apple Bloom snorted softly and pulled out a second potion, offering it to Rainbow. Despite her haughty words, she accepted the potion and soon drank it down.

Applejack got to her hooves and advanced on the squirming scythe. "Ya just made your last mistake! Yer a broken tool, and ah ain't got time fer broken tools. Sunflower, get off of that."

Sunflower scurried free of it just in time for Applejack to stomp down on it. "Ya tell that Night Mare that ah think yer busted and I don't need ya anymore!" Dismissed with authority, the scythe simply vanished from whence it came with an almost sad sigh.

Rainbow laughed with joy. "Now that's my Applejack! How about we celebrate with a little cider?"

Applejack raised a brow. "Girl, ya really do have a problem."

Rainbow threw her forehooves in the air. "How can I have a problem with something nopony ever lets me have!"

Author's Note:

Applejack and Rainbow pull through, together, with the power of friendship, and maybe a little love thrown in there.

The CMC prove they will do what they want when they want to.

And they still have a bound up cockatrice.

PreviousChapters Next