• Published 10th Apr 2015
  • 3,030 Views, 1,620 Comments

The Apple Falls Far from the Tree - David Silver



Applejack has returned from her Everglow adventure with magic all her own. Magic that her little sister and friends want to investigate. What could go wrong when the Apple family falls far from the tree without Twilight to rely on? Ponyfinder/MLP

  • ...
17
 1,620
 3,030

PreviousChapters Next
54 - Welcome Party

Scootaloo and Rainbow came down from the sky when they spotted the other Crusaders walking along below them. Scootaloo spotted Sweetie Belle's cutie mark and gasped loudly. "What happened? I was only gone for like a minute!"

Sweetie smiled brightly at Scoots. "It was amazing! I was singing for my sister, and I could feel what she was feeling, and what I wanted her to feel, and everything just felt... right. I was in my element, even if it made me cry like a foal." She raised a fetlock, rubbing at her still stained snout. "I sound like a bit of a doofus right now."

Scootaloo shook her head defiantly. "No way! That sounds awesome! So, uh, that means you graduate from the Crusaders, right?"

Sweetie and Apple Bloom both shook their head before Bloom Spoke, "She's stayin' with us until we get our cutie marks too."

Scootaloo tilted her head. "Oh, OK!"

They had lost track of Rainbow, who flew off while they were talking so quickly, but she returned just as swiftly, holding a familiar object. Scootaloo took up her scooter with a grin. "It feels like forever!" She hopped onto it and tried to buzz her wings, but her Everglow wings were made for flapping, not buzzing, and it wasn't working the way it used to. "Huh..."

Apple Bloom tilted her head one way and then the other. "Don't reckon that's gonna work while ya got them fancy wings."

Rainbow crossed her forelegs. "I didn't think of that, but yeah. You can't flap those wings like a hummingbird or a butterfly."

Scootaloo frowned a bit and lowered a hoof to the ground to give a shove, propelling herself the earth pony way along on her scooter. "It's not quite the same... I... It's like my scooter's trying to convince me too." She thunked her head against the handlebar with a fresh wave of annoyance and grief.

Sunflower rubbed behind his head a little. "What is that?"

Sweetie provided a quick answer. "That's a scooter. Scootaloo used to ride it all the time, and even take us places with it. She's really good at it."

"Was!" exclaimed Scootaloo as she threw it to the ground with a deep frown and the threat of new tears overtaking her. "This isn't fair at all." She pointed at Sweetie Belle. "You can sing real good, good enough to get a cutie mark in it." Her hoof moved to Apple Bloom. "And you're awesome at potions and stuff and I bet you'll get yours in a second or two, but what about me?! I... I really like flying, but that can't be my natural talent, can it? What about all the things I worked so hard to be good at before now? I'm so confused!" She sank to her belly in a ball of misery, and her friends gathered around her. "It's not fair... All of your talents don't care what kind of pony you are, but I can't keep flying if I go back to 'old' Scootaloo."

Apple Bloom tapped her chin, thinking about their adventures. "Ah apologize if this sounds weird or nothin', but the part ah remember best about ya during our adventure was not that ya could fly, but that ya were always ready to go. Nothin' scared ya, nothin' could stop you from coming to help us." She smiled at Scootalooo. "I was so jealous of how well ya were handling everythin'. Even when yer wings stopped workin' in that scary place, ya threw yerself right into a hole with us and kept right on goin'."

Sweetie bobbed her head fiercely. "You have a huge heart! I was ready to just give up and cry but you were always so brave. I was jealous too, a little. I kept wondering how you could want to adventure more, how could any filly be so full of bravery... You were amazing Scootaloo, and that has nothing to do with what you look like at all."

Sunflower shuffled a little. "I saw that too. I'm from Everglow and even I felt more hesitation than you ever did, Scootaloo. It's been a... an honor to have met you, and to call you a friend. You are an amazing pony."

Scootaloo took a long slow breath, then smiled. "Maybe you're right..." She pointed at Rainbow Dash. "You said you were still awesome without your wings, right?"

Rainbow thumped her chest with a hoof. "Sure was. Nothing can keep the Dash down!"

Scootaloo smiled. "Well... nothing's going to keep me down either. Whether I fly like a hawk or hover, I'll do it with class!" She spread her wings wide. "Because... I'm awesome, from the inside, not the outside, and nothing's going to make me stop being that." Her smile took on a sad hint. "I'd prefer to keep flying, and I'm not rushing to Twilight to 'fix' that, but... I don't think that's 'who' I am."

Scootaloo's words were returned with strong hugs from the other Crusaders, but then there was suddenly another presence between them. They pulled back to reveal a Pinkie Pie. "Hi everypony! It's party time!" She handed out an invitation to everyone present, Rainbow Dash and Sunflower included. "You can't miss it because it's for you!" And off she bounced, as if her appearance were entirely normal.

Rainbow shook her head a little. "That mare is crazy." She flipped open her invitation and looked at it. "Wow. This party's in just fifteen minutes!"

The rest confirmed their invitation quickly before the entire group began to head to Sugarcube Corner, leaving behind their heavy conversation for the moment.


Sonata had succeeded in securing a hefty bag of bits from the pony in charge of such accounting. A flutter of her lashes and a few sweet words, as well as the written note confirming their new positions, and they were well on their way with enough money to get started. As they wandered towards the train station Sonata asked, "Why are we stopping by Ponyville?"

"I want to speak to Willow before we leave," replied Lex. He glanced at the bag of bits, wondering if it had been a mistake not to count it all when they were there, but brushed the thought aside. There was enough in there to get things started. "I told her that I would make sure she and Sunflower were comfortable in Equestria, and so I need to check their status before we go to Vanhoover."

Sonata nodded. "That's, like, totally good of you." She tapped her chin suddenly. "Wait, before we leave Canterlot, we should totally go native. We don't want to creep out the ponies by not looking like an Equestrian one. I bet Celestia could fix it."

"I am not letting that self-righteous nag cast a spell on me!" Lex's reaction was immediate. "I'm not against the idea of returning to my original appearance, but I refuse to let her use her magic on me. I can figure out how to perform that procedure on my own."

Sonata shrugged a little. "Maybe Twilight then? She's, like, totally smart and stuff. I just don't think we should go to Vanhoover until we look our best. First impression, right?"

"I suppose asking Twilight wouldn't be out of the question," huffed Lex grudgingly.


Pinkie fell from an apple tree after Applejack bucked it and fell into a bushel among other falling apples. "What in tarnation are ya doin' up there, Pinkie?"

Pinkie got herself upright quickly and tried speaking, but there was an apple in her mouth. she crunched down on it, the other half falling to the ground. "Mmm, delicious as always. Here!" She thrust forward an invitation letter.

Applejack looked it over. "Uh, Pinkie. This says yer fancy shindig is startin' right now?"

Pinkie Pie gasped with alarm and grabbed Applejack. "Then we better go!" Before Applejack could get out much complaint, Pinkie was hauling her speedily through town, headed for Sugarcube Corner.

They arrived to find the place already a mild bustle of activity. Ponies were gawking at the CMC in their altered forms, oggling at Sunflower, and then turned their attention to Applejack. The ponies of Ponyville were eager to greet trusty Applejack, a bit odd-looking or not.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were in attendance, and approached slowly, their eyes fixed on Sweetie Belle's cutie mark, which had earned no few comments and compliments from the other ponies.

Silver Spoon tilted her head at Sweetie Belle. "I guess you aren't a blank flank anymore..."

Sweetie blinked in surprise at the words. "I guess not..." She smiled at Silver Spoon. "Does that mean you'll stop being mean and we can be friends?"

Diamond Tiara shoved forward. "Of course not! Don't be stupid. Your cutie mark is lame anyway!"

Silver Spoon flinched back, looking not entirely in agreement.

Applejack heard the exchange and something in her burned. That filly wouldn't ever change. She would keep right on hurting everypony around her, even as an adult. Somepony should do something about it... Someone like...

Applejack marched up to the bullying twins. "Say yer sorry, right now."

Diamond Tiara turned up her little nose. "Make me."

"Ya asked for it." She pulled her scythe free and it seemed to buzz wildly with power. She knew it could be rid her of these pests, but killing wasn't the right answer. It rarely was. No, a better idea came to her, and she swung the scythe just in front of the little fillies, rending the space between Equestria and Everglow. The rift was short lived but violent, drawing the two fillies away to lands far removed from their home.

The room was silent, all eyes on Applejack for a moment before Sweetie raised a shaking hoof. "D-did you just... What did you do?"

Applejack swung the scythe back onto her back. "I sent them where they'll learn to be better ponies." Or die, but she didn't voice that. "So where's the cake at? Ain't no Pinkie party without some cake."

Author's Note:

Oh Applejack...

You just gave me a sequel, thanks!

But first we have to contend with the typos of this story.

PreviousChapters Next