• Published 10th Apr 2015
  • 3,030 Views, 1,620 Comments

The Apple Falls Far from the Tree - David Silver



Applejack has returned from her Everglow adventure with magic all her own. Magic that her little sister and friends want to investigate. What could go wrong when the Apple family falls far from the tree without Twilight to rely on? Ponyfinder/MLP

  • ...
17
 1,620
 3,030

PreviousChapters Next
18 - Heart of Darkness

Applejack tried her best to look mean. Her size helped, but the savage tearing the ghoul trio had given her didn't do any favors. "How do ah know yer not plannin' ta go kill somepony the moment ah let ya go?"

Sunflower waved his mace at the ghoul. "You can't trust a dead person!"

Sweetie tilted her head. "Wasn't Twilight dead once?"

Applejack scuffed at the ground. "That was different!"

The ghoul edged away as quickly as it dared. "I promise I will not harm anypony. Guarantee my safety and my knowledge is yours."

Scootaloo waved her flaming rapier at the ghoul, moving around to cut off his retreat. "You don't fool us! There are more than ponies counting on us."

The ghoul turned to flee, and Apple Bloom pegged in directly on the back with a bomb. He fell over into a smoldering pile. "That's what ya get."

Applejack gave a firm nod. "Make sure tha perimeter's safe, then we can have a look around." They spread out through the library, finding there were three hallways leading down darkened passages leading off from the library. There wasn't anything else immediately threatening.

Apple Bloom came up to Applejack and held up a potion. "Here, ya look roughed up."

Applejack accepted the elixir and chugged it down, some of the worst of the slices fading. "Mighty kind o' ya. Best save tha other fer emergencies. Let's see what we did that fighting fer, 'sides clearing up some nasties."

They dug around, finding some scrolls hidden amongst the largely-rotted collection, as well as a book written in a strange language. "Anypony know how ta read this?" Apple Bloom looked to Applejack, then Sweetie and Sunflower. Scootaloo bobbed her head.

"Give me a few minutes and Twilight's book. She has a spell for that." Scootaloo held out a hoof. Applejack surrendered the book, setting it down carefully. "Guess it's a good thing we brought this with us."

Applejack tilted her head. "She's going to be angrier than a three-legged bull in a headbutting contest when she gets her hooves on y'all."

Scootaloo raised a brow at Applejack, but continued studying the spell.

Sunflower whispered aside to Sweetie, using a paw to muffle the words. "What'd she say?"

Sweetie tilted her head before replying in hushed tone. "She said our friend's going to be really angry when she catches up with us. That's her spell book right there."

Sunflower hopped back. "You stole a wizard's spell book?! She'll set you all on fire then blow away the ash! I've heard the stories."

Applejack blinked as she turned towards Sunflower. "Now calm down. Twilight ain't the type to be hurting little fillies. She's a good pony. Now that don't mean there won't be a price t'pay. Ya did wrong by her, and y'all deserve the tongue-lashing yer gonna get." She tapped her chin lightly in thought. "I suppose being her servant for a week might also help make this lesson stick."

Apple Bloom groaned as she sank to the floor. "She'll make us reshelve all her books every day!"

Sweetie sagged against a bookshelf. "She'll make us dust that entire huge castle."

Sunflower didn't look overly calmed. "What?! She has a castle?"

"Of course she does," said Scootaloo as she flipped to the next page. "She is a princess."

"You stole a magic book from a wizard princess? You're all mad!"

Applejack nodded at Sunflower. "Ya don't know the half of it." Taking advantage of the lull with Scootaloo studying, Applejack unfurled the scrolls they found and with a quick spell, she pulled back the mystery of the magical writing. "Hmm. Spells. Ah think this one's yer kind of magic." She offered the scroll towards Sweetie Belle.

Sweetie Belle quickly repeated a similar spell. "Yep! It's the healing song I use, or something similar. What do I do with it?"

Applejack waved a hoof. "Twilight said ya could read scrolls like that out loud and the spell goes off. Ya sh--"

Before she could advise saving it, Sweetie Belle read the odd words out loud, and tapped Applejack, making more of her angry wounds fade away. "Uh, that works too. Thanks." The scroll fell to ash, making a little pile on the floor. "One use."

Apple Bloom pointed at the two other scrolls. "What's on tha other ones?"

Applejack tucked them away. "One's a spell ah want ta copy later, called 'magic missile'. The other one looks dreadful complicated and sounds powerful. With a name like 'fireball', ya figure it's something interesting and burny. Near as ah can figure, it'll set a whole room on fire."

Sweetie tilted her head. "They sure do have a lot of bad magic in this world."

Apple Bloom shrugged. "Works both ways. They got that healing song magic you have, and can bring a pony back ta life, or kill 'em twice as fast."

Sunflower looked from one pony to the next. "Uh, where are you from again? You sound way too surprised about basic stuff."

Applejack waved a hoof. "Long story. Scoots, how's it coming?"

Scootaloo closed the book and nodded. "Ready. Where's the book you want me to read?"

Applejack reclaimed Twilight's book and replaced it with the new one. "Maybe ah should get in the habit of doing that 'just in case' stuff."

Scootaloo spoke the words of understanding and began leafing through the book. "Huh... It's... about some kingdom of dur-ow, drow? I don't know what that is. The years are all off, so I don't know how long ago this was." She flipped ahead. "Talks about rituals and day-to-day stuff. Are we looking for something specific?"

Applejack shook her head. "Nothing specific. Maybe it's worth something to ah collector, take it. Let's get a move on." They started forward, with Apple Bloom and Sunflower taking their trapfinding positions. As they were about halfway down the tunnel, the sound of stone against stone became deafening as both ends of the tunnel came crashing down, two walls falling from above to seal them in. "Uh..."

Apple Bloom tilted her head. "I didn't see any traps..."

Scootaloo gestured at the dead end before them. "And yet?"

Sunflower hurried forward to the end of the hallway and began looking a the wall, pawing over it frantically for an exit, his breath rough and eyes wide. Sweetie did a slow circle in place while Scootaloo moved back for the rear wall to have it a look over. Apple Bloom moved beside Sunflower, looking around, but mostly at the cat himself. "You alright?"

"No, I mean, yes. I'll be fine. We just have to find out how to make this... open."

Apple Bloom raised a brow. "Ya don't sound fine. What's wrong?"

Applejack asked from a few feet away. "Are ya scared of being trapped?"

"I'm not scared!" Sunflower thudded a small paw against the wall. "Open, Sun King blast it!"

A soft trickling noise brought all their attention to the center of the tunnel where water began to flow. It was a dribble at first, but was quickly accelerating, becoming a torrent of water that threatened to flood the tunnel. Sunflower wailed in terror, and the Crusaders only looked marginally better.

Applejack pointed upwards. "There!" There was a tunnel heading into the wall, but it was too high to reach. Scootaloo discovered that taking flight while being rapidly submerged was nowhere as easy as it looked. Applejack cast a quick spell, fins appeared along her legs and hooves. "Everypony grab on tight."

Everyone grabbed ahold of Applejack, wrapping legs around her as she began to lift with the water, treading the water easily. "Y'all gonna need ta hold yer breath when we get to that tunnel. Just hold on as tight as ya can. We'll make it through this." Sunflower's desperate grip had the extra delight of little claws sinking into her flesh. Applejack winced but stoically accepted it, watching as that tunnel crept ever closer.

She took the deepest breath she ever took then plunged forward just as the water began to fill the tunnel. It turned into a downward slant a short way in, causing then to slip downwards like the water slide it was. They were all screaming as Applejack tried vainly to see where they were headed. The slide ended in more water, and Applejack kicked forward, paddling through the darkness and tapping at the ceiling and walls to find an exit. It was too dark to see, and she didn't dare open her mouth to cast a spell.

Doubts ran wild in her mind. Why did she ever agree to take the foals here? They'd all die in an ancient sewer and her friends would never forgive her for letting them come to harm. Her hoof fell forward as she found a new tunnel and she darted through it with her precious cargo, having no idea if it led to freedom or just more watery tunnels. Her spell-enhanced lungs ached for breath and she feared for the foals relying on her that had no such advantage. Apple Bloom suddenly slipped and Applejack doubled back to grab her and rush forward. Apple Bloom wasn't moving. Fear pounded through her. She couldn't lose Apple Bloom, not like this!

With a terrific splash, Applejack emerged from a pipe in a dark room to open air. She sailed forward with momentum, starting to fall quickly. She fell through the darkness before landing heavily on what felt like cobblestone. She heard a few groans of pain, and they were like sweet whispers of angels. It meant they were alive. She set Applebloom down and listened close. No breathing. Light suddenly flared up from Sweetie Belle. Applejack pointed at the still Apple Bloom. "Save 'er!"

Sweetie approached quickly, slipping on the water-slickened stone before she came to a haphazard rest beside Apple Bloom. A quick singsong intonation and a touch and Apple Bloom curled up, coughing up an impressive amount of water. She drew a harsh gulp of air and started to breathe raggedly. "Did we make it?"

Author's Note:

That escalated quickly.

The typos report they enjoyed the water flume ride.

PreviousChapters Next