• Published 10th Apr 2015
  • 3,031 Views, 1,620 Comments

The Apple Falls Far from the Tree - David Silver



Applejack has returned from her Everglow adventure with magic all her own. Magic that her little sister and friends want to investigate. What could go wrong when the Apple family falls far from the tree without Twilight to rely on? Ponyfinder/MLP

  • ...
17
 1,620
 3,031

PreviousChapters Next
58 - Informing the Next of Kin

Applejack and Rainbow Dash walked side-by-side. Applejack looked over the town with a critical eye as they went. "Ya ever wonder why we let no-goods like the Flim-Flam brothers get sa far as they did? It's because we ain't got no law in this town."

Rainbow perked an ear at the talk. "I hate to bring it up, AJ, but if there was a law and they knew what you did, they'd probably toss you in a cell."

Applejack snorted with obvious disagreement, but let it lie rather than argue with Rainbow Dash. "We'll figure it out after we take care of that there forest. Ah reckon it's a fair sight more pressing. Ah can't even figure out why ah let the place stand fer so long, threatenin' all of us like that."

Rainbow considered, deciding that fighting dangerous animals was a lot safer than the other activities the unbalanced Applejack could be up to. "Say, what about Froggy Bottom Bog? That place has some creepy critters in it, right?"

"Ah knew ah picked right!" Applejack looked so happy it made Rainbow's chest ache. "The hydra's just waiting to be tamed, and ah bet there are other varmints in there that'd cause trouble. We'll have the place in order in no time at all." She bumped up against Rainbow Dash. "We'll make Ponyville safe, for everypony. Mothers won't need ta worry for their foals bein' outta sight, cause no matter where they go, they'll be just as safe as in their hooves."

Rainbow smiled a little. "That... sounds pretty nice actually."

"'Course it does! Ah'm trying ta do good fer the town. Why else do ya think Ah'm worked up?" Applejack paused, tilting her head at Rainbow.

Rainbow flashed a larger, only partially sincere, smile. "I'm just blown away by your dedication, AJ. You were never this eager to get in a scrap before."

"Well shoot, that was my fault, and now it's time ta fix that!" Applejack marched forward with renewed determination. "Ah'm glad ah won't be doin' it alone at least. Thanks fer stickin' with me."

Rainbow offered a hoof, which was quickly met by one of Applejack's. "Anytime, girl. Now it's time to explain this to Filthy Rich, you know, the guy that pays for a lot of the repairs on your farm, why his foal is off on another world."

Applejack winced a little but nodded. "Reckon yer right..." She trotted up to the rich stallion's door and knocked lightly on it.

Their butler answered the door, looking over the two of them. "Good day, Miss Apple. How can I help you?"

Applejack cleared her throat softly. "It's about Diamond Tiara."

He tilted his head. "Is it now? Has she gotten herself into trouble?" He had a long-suffered expression of weariness, sagging in place. "I thought it was getting a bit quiet."

Applejack shook her head. "Naw, nothin' like that. In fact, Ah sent her away to someplace where she might shape up."

This caught the butler's attention, perking up. "Really?"

Applejack rolled a hoof. "It's a bit dangerous, ta tell tha truth, but ah sent Pinkie Pie ta keep an eye on her and keep her out of trouble. She'll learn how ta camp, barter, and even how to get inna tussle with some dignity. With any luck, she'll come back a new mare! It did wonders fer mah sister and her friends."

The butler looked more intrigued by the word. What kind of place did they send Diamond Tiara? "Sounds great, but I should inform Mister Rich. Please, one moment." The door closed and hurried clopping steps retreated from it.

Rainbow Dash raised a brow. "I... didn't think you could make the trip to Everglow sound like a good thing."

Applejack smiled and crossed her legs in her usual way, looking quite proud of herself. "Ah meant every word. She'll be a better pony by the time she gets back, and ah trust Pinkie ta be sure they both get back."

Filthy Rich was next to open the door. "Applejack! Good to see you. Now what's all this about sending Diamond Tiara to some kind of training camp?"

Applejack nodded quickly. "Pleasure as always, Rich. Sorry fer not askin' first, but tha opportunity was there and ah just couldn't say no ta doin' the right thing while ah could. She's with Silver Spoon and Pinkie Pie, and they're gonna go onna little character-building adventure." She nudged her head towards the butler hiding behind Filthy Rich. "No butlers, no fancy things, just themselves and nature, learning how ta survive on their own wit and skills."

Filthy tapped his chin lightly. "Won't that get in the way of her schooling?"

Applejack waved a hoof. "There ain't nothing more educational than what she's doin' now. She'll appreciate all the comforts ya give her when she gets back, ah promise that. Hay, me and my sister and her friends just got back from there and Sweetie Belle got her cutie mark out of it! They're all better fer it, more mature about the world outside themselves."

Filthy smiled a little. "If it was anypony else I'd be quite sore they didn't ask beforehoof, but." He wobbled a hoof. "Do ask first next time? You're lucky we didn't have anything big planned right away, but we're a busy family. You know how it is."

Applejack nodded. "Ah reckon ah do. Speakin' of which, ah really should be goin'. Ah got a big pile of things ta get ta."

Filthy nodded. "Don't I know it. We're like two peas from a pod, Applejack. We both know the value of time and effort. You haven't steered me wrong yet, so I'll let this one slide. Say, how long is Diamond going to be gone for?"

Applejack waved a hoof. "That depends rightly on her. The sooner she comes around, the sooner she's done. It's a hard course, but she'll learn from it. Oh! I don't know Silver Spoon's parents, could ya tell them she went with Diamond Tiara?"

They parted with friendly waves and Rainbow followed after Applejack with a stunned expression. "That went... better than I expected it to." Rainbow frowned a little. "That wasn't really being honest, Applejack. You made it sound like a camping retreat or something."

Applejack tilted her head. "Should ah tell him his daughter's on an alien world instead? Pinkie'll keep them nice and safe, and they should learn somethin' from it. Ya said ah had to admit to sendin' her away, and ah did that."

Rainbow put a hoof over her face. "Right. So... how about we have a nice calming apple cider and enjoy the day quietly?"

Applejack frowned at Rainbow. "Ya got a problem, girl. Now's not the time fer cider. We can have some after we deal with the Everfree."

Rainbow held up a hoof. "One moment, before we go do that. I want to check with Twilight and see if she doesn't have any fancy spells to help us. Maybe she'll even want to join us. Wait here, OK?" Applejack sat down and nodded, and Rainbow launched herself into the air, quickly zipping towards the castle.

She found Twilight with her nose in a book, being her usual egghead self. "Twi! We have a huge emergency!"

Twilight looked up sharply at the hovering Rainbow. "What? What's wrong?"

Rainbow pointed off in Applejack's general direction. "Applejack's been, like... possessed or something. She wants to 'fix' everything, which includes banishing Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara to Everglow, and beating all the monsters in the Everfree into submission. I've calmed her down a little, and she's listening to me, but I can't stop her, just slow her down and direct her."

Twilight blinked slowly. "Run that by me one more time? She banished two fillies?"

Rainbow bobbed her head. "Pinkie's with them, so they'll need to be rescued like we were, but, ugh, I have to get back. Applejack's waiting, and if I'm not with her, I'm afraid she'll do something crazy." She zipped up to Twilight. "Applejack's in there! I can see it! She's scared, Twilight. She's... she's... trying to do the right thing. We have to save her!"

Twilight nodded at Rainbow firmly. "Go to her, Rainbow, and make sure she's safe, and doesn't hurt anypony else."

"What about the monsters?"

Twilight looked confused. "What about the monsters? They're monsters."

"Alright, clobbering monsters is OK. I can handle this." She zipped back out the way she came, leaving a fading trail of rainbows behind her.

Twilight took a few slow breaths, moving her right hoof in and out along the motions to compose herself. "I will handle this with the grace expected of me as a princess." She pulled a book down from above her on a shelf, changing her study paths. She would help Applejack, somehow, but first she needed knowledge.

As Rainbow flew quickly, she encountered Scootaloo. Scootaloo grinned. "Rainbow Dash! I'm glad to see you! Have you seen Applejack?"

"I was just getting back to her, why?"

Scootaloo pointed down to where the rest of the Crusaders waited. "We want to make sure she's alright. She was acting off before. I mean... That scythe has to be super bad news! Even Diamond Tiara didn't deserve that."

Rainbow Dash flashed a quick grin. "You and the others should stop worrying about her. I have this totally under control. Twilight's also on the case, so don't worry, we'll get this problem licked! Why don't you go find Big Mac and see if he doesn't have the supplies so you can't get to work rebuilding that club house?"

Scootaloo tilted her head. "Are you sure? I mean... we're ready to help, RD. She's our friend, and Apple Bloom's big sister."

Rainbow Dash put a hoof over her chest. "I promise! I won't rest until she's alright, but right now, she needs me, so let me get back to her, and you get back to building. Please, trust me. We're sisters of the sky, right?" She held out a hoof.

Scootaloo hesitated a moment before clopping her hoof against Rainbow's, feeling warm and fuzzy. "Sisters of the sky!" She went down to fill in her friends on the conversation, and Rainbow rushed to find Applejack before she wandered off.

Fortunately, Applejack was where she was asked to wait, and she smiled brightly on spotting Rainbow Dash. "There ya are. Did she have any fancy spells? Did she wanna come?"

Rainbow shook her head. "She decided to egghead it up and read up on spells, boring! We can handle this ourselves, right?"

"Darn tootin'!" Looking quite cheerful, Applejack started walking towards the Everfree. "Rainbow Dash?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks fer bein' with me."

Author's Note:

Filthy Rich takes the news rather well, though Applejack made it sound less dangerous than it truly is. Still, she isn't likely to be hunted down by the richest stallion in town, unless DT and SS don't return. Crisis averted temporarily!

If only typos could be misdirected so easily.

PreviousChapters Next