• Published 10th Apr 2015
  • 3,031 Views, 1,620 Comments

The Apple Falls Far from the Tree - David Silver



Applejack has returned from her Everglow adventure with magic all her own. Magic that her little sister and friends want to investigate. What could go wrong when the Apple family falls far from the tree without Twilight to rely on? Ponyfinder/MLP

  • ...
17
 1,620
 3,031

PreviousChapters Next
13 - Tell It to Me Straight

Longtail had departed to take care of affairs brought about by the attack, leaving Applejack and the others behind. Apple Bloom looked up at AJ. "Enough dawdlin'. Ah know it's not a good thing, but what happened?"

Applejack shook her head, "There ain't no reason for ya to know. Go on and play."

Apple Bloom glanced aside at Scootaloo, who nodded and spoke in solidarity. "We can't 'go and play' until we're home."

Sweetie Belle suddenly grabbed Sunflower by the forepaw in her mouth, tugging him away. He went with her and soon they were across the courtyard, out of earshot.

Apple Bloom gestured after Sweetie Belle. "There, Sweetie's gone. Not that there's nothing wrong with her, but ah don't think she wants ta hear it. But ah do! Stop treating us like little fillies."

Applejack mustered to full height, towering over Apple Bloom. "Ya are little fillies! Ah mean ta return ya home still as little fillies. Ya don't need to hear 'bout that kinda thing."

Scootaloo crossed her forelegs and squatted on her haunches. "Well I want to know what's going on! This isn't Equestria, AJ. I mean... I appreciate having you around. You're awesome! But what if you're not there? I want to know."

Applejack tipped her hat forward over her eyes and sank. "Fine... Whoever done killed Willow went through tha' effort of clean carving out her heart." Applejack shuddered. "It was a most unkind killing, uh, not that there are many kind ones."

Apple Bloom raised a hoof, "Ya done pummeled those kobolds?"

Applejack frowned and shuffled. "Ah did... but they were fighting back. They had a chance. Poor Willow was sleeping in bed right snuggled up beside her kitten... If a kobold stopped and gave up, ah woulda left it alone. Willow didn't get that chance." She shook herself out. "Do ya really think Ahm as bad as the assassin?"

Scootaloo quickly shook her head. "No way! You're awesome, Applejack!" She launched herself into the air, landing on Applejack's back easily. "We're just trying to understand."

Apple Bloom nodded slowly as she glanced across the way to Sweetie and Sunflower. "Yeah... What are we gonna do now? That was the same big fella that tried ta foalnap us before. Ah bet he was with the same cat. Were they looking fer us?"

Applejack's expression darkened. "Maybe... Listen, girls. Ahm gonna do everything ah can ta protect all of ya."

Scootaloo hugged Applejack's head from behind. "Of course you will. We're friends. We're here for you too."

Apple Bloom bobbled her head. "We're Cutie Mark Crusaders! We won't let each other down, no matter what!"

Applejack sagged a little. "How can y'all still be so galldurn chipper after all that?"

Scootaloo suddenly stood up on Applejack's back. "I'm going to see if Lady Longtail needs any help." She spread her wings and took off in a flash, reveling in the feeling of flight despite the events of the night. Hearing voices ahead, she came for a gentle landing. Hovering proved to be a lot harder in practice than Rainbow Dash made it look.

A male voice spoke. It sounded like the butler. "The cost of reviving her would bankrupt you, madame. The savings have been going nowhere but down slowly over the years, and ten thousand coin in just the materials is enough to ruin you."

A muffled grunt, and something being knocked over, then several shattered objects. "Then I'll be ruined! If it's a choice between dying a pauper and letting one of my precious daughters lay dead, then so be it! The Sun King will smile on me, if no one else will."

Scootaloo froze a moment, then turned tail and fled back where she came from on uncertain wings. She landed beside Applejack and Apple Bloom with wide eyes.

Applejack tilted her head at Scootaloo. "Couldn't find her?"

Scootaloo shook her head quickly. "I found her. She was talking. I think she's going to sell everything to afford fixing Willow."

Applejack sunk to her haunches. "Ah... Ah would do the same, if selling the farm would bring Apple Bloom back." She reached out and pulled Apple Bloom closer. "Ah don't even wanna think about that."

Apple Bloom squirmed a little before settling into the embrace of her distressed sister. "We should help, not feel bad for her!"

Scootaloo smiled at the idea. "Yeah! I like the sound of that. How?"

Apple Bloom shrugged. "I dunno, but it mighta been our fault she was attacked at all! We could do more jobs, get more money so she doesn't haveta sell the manor."

Applejack released Apple Bloom with a heavy sigh. "Ah know that tone ah voice. You're going whether I like it or not, so Ah'll just say Ahm going too."

Apple Bloom hopped up to kiss Applejack on the nose. "Yer the best, sis. Let's get Sweetie."

They arrived shortly to find Sweetie Belle and Sunflower seated across from each other. They were clearly in discussion until the rest approached and looked up at them.

Scootaloo spoke up first, pointing towards the rest of the city. "We're going to go back to Louis and get some more jobs, make some money, and help pay to get Willow back."

Sunflower bounced to his feet. "You can fix Mom?!"

Sweetie Belle blinked at the news. "You can?"

Scootaloo nodded quickly. "I heard Lady Longtail talking about it. She can barely afford it. She's going to sell off the whole manor to do it. We shouldn't let her do that."

Sweetie Belle's expression turned hard as she looked towards the ground a moment, then pushed up to her hooves. "Alright... I'll help with that."

Sunflower thumped his chest. "I'll help too!"

Apple Bloom crossed her forelegs. "Sorry, but this is Cutie Mark Crusader business. Yer not an adventurer."

Sunflower snorted at Applebloom. "You're just a kitten like me! It's my mom! You can't stop me from helping!"

Applejack sighed softly. "Ah'd rather ya didn't, Sunflower. What will yer mother think if we bring her back and ya ain't here to greet her? We can't have ya getting hurt."

Sunflower let out an angry hiss. "She's my mother! Not yours! I can't... won't... How can you go off and do dangerous things for her and tell me not to? I'm the alpha now! I command you bring me."

Scootaloo tilted her head. "Alpha?" She slid down off of Applejack and approached the other Crusaders. "I don't think he's wrong. It is his mother we're talking about..."

Sweetie looked at Sunflower, then back at the others. "I say we make him a Crusader."

Apple Bloom huffed. "What?! He ain't even a pony! He don't got no cutie mark and never will."

Sweetie raised a hoof. "Where in the rules did we ever say they had to be a pony? He doesn't have a cutie mark, therego, he can join." She looked smugly satisfied with her logic.

Scootaloo gave a slow nod. "I think she's right. We never said Crusaders had to be ponies."

Apple Bloom went crestfallen. "You too, Scootaloo? Fine!" She pointed a hoof at Sunflower. "Yer in! But before ya get official, we have ta do an initiation."

Applejack tilted her head. "Ah don't remember none of that."

Sweetie smiled at Applejack. "Of course. You're just an honorary member. You already have your cutie mark, you can't be a crusader."

Sunflower looked excited at the news, smiling widely. "Alright! We're going to fix Mom! Uh... how?"

Scootaloo raised a hoof. "First we should talk to Lady Longtail and make sure she doesn't sell the house while we're busy." She was gone quickly.

Apple Bloom looked off in the direction Scootaloo went in. "Ah think she's enjoying her wings plenty... Alright, Sweetie? Ready to swear in Sunflower?"

Sweetie moved to stand beside Apple Bloom, nodding firmly. "We, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, elect Sunflower to join us as sis... brother, friend, etc., etc., etc., and fellow Cutie Mark Crusader! You are solemnly sworn in, here this day, in witness of your fellow sisters, confidantes, etc., etc., etc."

Apple Bloom spread her hooves wide. "Congratulations!"

Applejack nodded lightly as she sighed. "And ah get another little one ta protect. Y'all gonna drive me ta drink."

Apple Bloom stuck out her tongue at Applejack. "Ya drink already. When we get back to Equestria, ya gonna let me have a taste of that cider?"

Applejack looked ready to quickly deny, then paused. "When we get safely back home... Ah think Ah'll treat everypony to a cup."

Sweetie clopped her hooves together, voice squeaking in excitement. "Really?! I heard stories about Apple family cider."

Applejack nodded with a prideful expression. "Best darn cider this side of Equestria! Ya ain't had cider till ya had ours."

Sunflower looked confused at the exchange. "What's cider?"

Apple Bloom snorted. "What? They don't got cider 'round here?"

Scootaloo returned with Lady Longtail following her. Longtail looked to Applejack directly. "What is this I hear about you raising money?"

Applejack tipped her head. "We feel partially responsible fer all the trouble. We're gonna go and get some jobs and help ya pay ta fix Willow up good as new, so don't go selling the manor just yet. Ya deserve yer home, and she deserves to have this home ta return to."

Longtail let out a slow long breath. "And you're bringing all your foals with you?"

Sweetie pointed at Sunflower. "And Sunflower!"

Longtail's eyes widened. "What? Sunflower, get over here this instant!"

Sunflower shrank back, then fled behind Sweetie. "No! I'm not going to let these ponies work for Mom and hide here."

Longtail's tail lashed fitfully behind her. "You're not an adventurer! What do you know of defending yourself? You'll only slow them down. Now get over here, you rascal of a kitten."

Sunflower stuck out his tongue. "Make me!"

Applejack suddenly plucked Sunflower up by the scruff of his neck and dropped him in front of Longtail. An instant later, Longtail secured him. "Your mother will never forgive me if I let you come to harm, Sunflower."

Sunflower squirmed mightily in the grip, proving to be quite the pawful for the old cat. "I won't forgive me if I don't help get Mom back! Let me go!"

Scootaloo tilted her head. "Excuse me, Lady Longtail? If he hasn't tried adventuring before, how can you know if he's good at it or not? We'll make sure he stays safe, but he might turn out to be a great adventurer!"

Apple Bloom bobbed her head in agreement with this line of thinking. "Yeah! We were new at adventuring too but we're getting tha hang of it real fast!"

Lady Longtail sunk to the ground, tears staining her muzzle. "That's exactly what I'm afraid of." She released Sunflower. "There are rarely happy endings for thrill-seekers and adventurers. Please... Come back safely. Your mother will miss you too much, and your grandmother will die of grief and shame."

Sunflower staggered to his feet, then spun on Longtail. He thumped his chest. "I'll be back! Promise! We'll have so much money we'll bring back Mom and get her a great gift!"

Author's Note:

A new member has joined the party! But what good will he be?

Maybe his kitty eyes are better at spotting typos?

PreviousChapters Next