• Published 13th Nov 2016
  • 850 Views, 120 Comments

Horse of Cards - Midnight Ice Cream



Imagine you are an officer in the Royal Guard. Your princess is far too miserable and tired to do her duty. Her laws are not enforced. Her kingdom is under constant risk of total annihilation. What would you do? This is what I did.

  • ...
8
 120
 850

Twenty Sixth Chapter

Twenty Sixth Chapter

And now they can smell it

One week following the previous chapter

Princess Chrysalis of Equestria

The fuss made by the ponies in Canterlot over the press invasion is seemingly worse than that of the changeling invasion. We are happy that issues are now being circulated around the country, finally ponies will be informed. Journalists crawl around the halls, searching for a new insight into the events. All of them eager to understand our policies. We are being interviewed by an ambitious reporter now, they brave into the hive and expect news. There is no love coming from this particular journalist, only fear at the presence of Chrysalis. “Good evening.” He attempts bravely attempting a facade of normality. “How are you?”

“I’m very well, and how are you?”

“Oh I’m fine. It’s quite a culture shock around here, I guess I’m a little nervous. But it must be a whole other deal for you?”

“Indeed, there are many challenges for changelings in pony society, so having such a hive is a good place to relax. Changelings can come here to recharge, and ponies can come here to pay us in love. We also need a hive like this to lay eggs. But on a broader level I’d say it has been a very difficult change for us. Overall I think life is improving. Before it was very hard to scrape love together to maintain everything. Now employers pay us in love, which means that the hive is healthier than it has been in a long time.”

“But surely you’re not the only ones having to change.”

“I cannot speak on behalf of ponies, but I can speak on behalf of The Hive. We do not wish to change or interfere with Pony culture any more than is necessary for us both to live in harmony. I am representing non rogue changelings here.”

“Many of our readers might not know what a rogue changeling is. Could you tell us?”

“Certainly. A rogue changeling is one that leaves the telepathic influence of The Hive. She will lose her connection to the hive and become an individual. I want to stress that any damage caused by changelings, will be done so by the tiny minority of rogues. It is extremely damaging for them, and they are prone to acting out horribly. Legislation is being drafted in order to deal with them. Otherwise, we pose no real threat to anypony.”

“Well that’s good to hear I suppose. But what about the economic threat, changelings are much cheaper to employ are they not? All a pony needs to do is plug themselves into the love… err, what are they called?”

“Love extractors.”

“Yes love extractors. Doesn’t that risk a lot of skilled pony jobs?”

“There are a number of reasons that pony jobs are at risk. I’m sure you’re familiar with the debacle over the iron mine. It’s ridiculous! With proper economic strategy we’d be able to negate any negative effects of changeling integration. Right now, I’ll admit jobs are being taken. But it doesn’t have to be that way at all.”

“So what you’re saying is that the economy is being managed horribly? Isn’t that a harsh criticism of your fellow princesses?”

“They’re only ponies. We can only handle one issue at a time. Integrating a whole new species is no easy task. The Council is finding that difficult as it is, taking on the economy is a whole new challenge for another day.”

Princess Luna of Equestria

Urgh. What is this? “EVEN SHE ADMITS IT!” Is the headline of the paper, showing an unflattering picture of Chrysalis. “Changelings are Stealing our jobs!” This is not good. I’m sure Cadence will be very happy to see this one. I look at the other papers. The broadsheets are still yammering on about the steel crisis “Diamond Tiara on Steel: Why one mare chose a failing industry.” We really look like fools. “Princesses do nothing! Changelings steal jobs!” Or another one “Princesses perpetuate poverty! The “Friendship Lesson” that ruined a town.” The bastards are crawling all over the place to ridicule us, and there’s nothing we can really do.

I need to talk to Celestia, she’s been through much worse. She’ll know what to do in these situations. Surely she’ll be able to calm me down. That way I’ll be able to sleep more easily.

When I find Celestia, she’s sitting in her breakfast room, all as if nothing had happened. She’s eating figs and a slice of cake. “Ohh hi Luna. How are you this fine morning?”

“Have you seen the papers Sis?”

“I have.”

“Then why are you so calm?”

Celestia simply giggles. “Because they’re funny Luna. They’re pointing out our obvious flaws, why are you so worried about it?” Good question. I stand there stunned. “They’re not going to do anything. Anypony can slander, but not all ponies can rule. In order to rule, you must be able to take slander Luna. Look, I know it seems odd. You’ve been revered all of your life, so have I for that matter. Frankly I’m pleased that ponies are actually standing up for themselves. If they demand something, isn’t that a sign that something needs to be changed?”

“Well I’m worried about the changelings Sis. If we allow this kind of bad press, it could really ruin changeling-pony relations. If Cadence gets up on her moral high ground over this…” I trail off. Celestia’s calming attitude is having an effect on me. Suddenly things don’t seem as bad.

“Luna, you worry too much. We’re going to deal with this, ponies are scared. They’re not used to changelings, I’ve lived long enough to know that once ponies have time to get used to things, they’ll accept them. Regardless, it’s not like they can do anything against it is it?”

“Are you sure?”

“They’ll bitch and moan. But as long as their lives are okay, then they’ll not do much else.”

“Okay.” I really hope she’s right.

“Luna, it’s fine. Want some cake?”


“Oh I’d love some.”

Diamond Tiara Head of Steel Departament of Rich Enterprises

“Oh it’s bullshit, total bullshit. They don’t do a damn thing!” I’m sitting in the canteen of the factory talking to one of my workers Mr Stainless Steel.

“Cos, you know, the amount I work here. Ma’am, I’ve worked this plant my whole life, I don’t know how to work anywhere else. But I’ve got a family, I’ve got some kids you know? I ain’t getting enough hours here to feed ‘em.” He bites into his sandwich. “I’m doing what I can, but I’m gonna have to start lookin’ for another job.”

“Urgh.” I roll my eyes. “You’re a good worker Stainless.”

“Thank you, I really appreciate it.”

“I want to be able to keep you here. I wish I could pay you more. But I really can’t I’m barely holding this thing together, and that’s by cutting down the hours. Trouble is, work here is highly skilled. I assume you’re not the only one like this?”

“Sorry ma’am. I know a few of the young ones want to stay, on account of them having less responsibilities and such. But us with families. I can’t afford to work part time anymore. My wife, she works in your Dad’s store actually. Bottom line is, I need to feed my family.”

“I understand. But couldn’t you get another part time job?”

“Well, look Diamond. I respect you and all, but.”

“No, I understand.” I say, “You can’t afford to stay here. Anyway, you should look out for Colt’s company. He pays well. He’s a good stallion.”

“Hey, cheers. I’m gonna try to wait though. I’d love to stick here. Anyway, you goin’ to watch the boxing soon?”

“Yea, I’ve got my money on Barbed Wire.”

“He’s a bum, no, no, you’ve gotta bet on High Flyer. Barbed ain’t got nothin’ on him. Maybe in five years, but he’s too young.”

“He’s an up and comer. High Flyer has had his day.”

“That may be true.” Stainless takes a swig out of his bottle. “I tell ya, I remember him in his prime. He was a pleasure to watch. He’s from my neighbourhood too. True story, that kid went to school with my kid brother. I remember watchin’ him fight, must’ve been ohhh ten years ago? He was the best.”

“Not anymore.”

“Yea, yea. You’ll be proved wrong.”

“Willing to put money on it?”

“I would, but my wife…”

“Fair enough. But you’re buying if I win.”

“Deal.”

We shake hooves. High Flyer, pfft, this guy’s nostalgia blind.

Marshall Sunshine Earthheart of The Royal Equestrian Army

The journalist sits down, and takes a sip of tea. “Is there anything else that I can get you?” I offer. “Snacks, we have fruit, cake, I’m sure there’s something we can get you. It’ll make your trip to me worth it. I don’t think that I have a story for you.”

“Oh, don’t insult yourself Earthheart,” she says warmly. “Surely somepony like yourself has some insight into the current situation. After all, you were the one who negotiated the terms with Chrysalis. So tell me, how was that?”

I take a moment to contemplate, taking a sip of my own tea. “At first it was frightening. You see, it was a stalemate. We had a stronger army than they did, but they would have massacred the entire Empire if we had attacked. Therefore we had to talk. If we had sent in a Princess, then it would have been disastrous, they would have taken her as another hostage. But if we had not sent in somepony high enough ranking, they would not have taken us seriously. Therefore fate demanded I go. Frankly the walk there was terrifying, but duty compelled me to go. Initially the idea was to have the changelings to leave, but allowing them to do that would mean that they could attack again at anytime. Therefore I proposed the idea of peace with Chrysalis, before returning to the other Princesses. The rest is history.”

“How do you think that this has impacted Equestria?”

“With all due respect, it is not for me to say. I am a humble soldier.” I pause, taking a moment to stir my tea. “However, as a soldier, I will say that it has made Equestria much safer.”

“What about the other effects?”

“It is not my position to comment. I am simply a soldier.”

“Then can you tell us how they affect the military?”

“Changelings are some of the best soldiers we have.” I take a moment to word what I am about to say. “As Marshall, it is my duty to organise everything in the army. I hate to say it, but what we had before was a disgrace. The force was tiny, it was poorly run, it had no discipline. But over the past year it has changed massively. Changelings have changed what we’re able to do tactically and strategically. Changelings are the most versatile soldiers we have. Firstly their ability to disguise themselves is excellent, and their telepathic communication makes them silent. It’s a miracle we were able to defeat them. I believe it is also important to note that they are capable of all of the basic functions of all other species of pony. Admittedly they are not as specialised as any specific species, but they are consistent. Imagine a hundred unicorns, they all have special talents, they all have unique abilities. I’m sure that’s wonderful in most areas, but in the military it’s a nightmare. Some have magic that’s invaluable on the battlefield, others are useless.”

“But surely you can adapt to that?”

“Oh of course. Unless a pony has an exceptional magical talent, we usually equip them with guns. It makes them consistently powerful, easy to organise and easy to command. Overall that makes them more effective. In a tactical situation, it’s always good to know what’s going on, and what you can count on everypony to do. This is doable with ponies. However with changelings, it’s so much easier. They all know where they are, due to their hivemind. They all have consistent strengths and weaknesses, so you know exactly what risks you are taking when you deploy changelings. They are excellent soldiers. I am proud to be able to command them.”

“How well do they work with ponies?”

“Exceptionally well, there were some issues at first, and to some extent there still are. But this is all to be expected. However I do believe that things are progressing nicely. I’ve made sure to mix both races as much as possible to build trust, and it really is working.”

“Well that’s nice to hear. So since we’re discussing the military, how do you think you’ve been doing since you’ve taken command? You’ve made some very big changes.”

“Indeed I have, I could discuss them for days, is there anything specific you’d be interested in?”

“Of course.” The journalist looks eager. “Well recently we’ve all been hearing about the steel crisis.”

“Indeed.”

“Now I know you’re only a soldier, but that’s been affecting Colt's business.” I keep a straight face, but I’m beaming on the inside. “How has that affected you?”

“Good question, I think the biggest issue is the lack of ammunition. I have spoken to Colt, he produces as much as he can, for a very reasonable price mind, but it’s difficult for him to run his business on so little resources. That is all I have to comment.”

“It must be frustrating huh?”

“I could not possibly comment.” I say assertively, highlighting the issue further. “Is there anything else?”

*****

“This smells wonderful Sparkling. What is it made from?” I ask, Sparkling has cooked Wellbridge and I a wonderful vegetable stew.

“Oh a bit of this, a bit of that. I went to the market today to pick up some ingredients for you two. Thought it’d be tasty.”

“Lovely.” Wellbridge smiles, taking a sip of his beer. “Well, come on then love. Dish it out, I’m starving.” I need to retire soon. I’m getting far too fond of these luxuries. Skywatch seems to be doing a competent job. As much as I love Wellbridge, he is too old, and in any case I doubt it’d suit him. He has always been content where he is. In any case, this issue needs discussion at a better time. Right now I shall enjoy my meal.

“So Earthheart, how was your interview?” Asks Sparkling as she sits down.

“Very good, I hope that it leads to progress. I was very guarded with my opinions though, which I hope helps emphasise the important ones I do have.”

“Good.” Says Wellbridge bluntly. “What’s goin’ on here is utter fuckin’ bollocks. I hate to say it, but they’re bloody useless. I don’t know how to solve it, but I ain’t gettin’ paid for that.”

“Quite.” I levitate some bread into the stew, and take a bite. “Delightful Sparkling.” She smiles. “I believe there is a place for the princesses.”

“Oh of course.” Wellbridge sounds defensive. “I love my Princesses, I wouldn’t be here otherwise. But I’ve come to accept your point Earthheart. They’re not the best at running this whole show.”

“Oh of course. But that is not an opinion I’d like to advertise.”

Wellbridge chuckles. “Don’t worry mate, neither of us will speak.”

“Very good.”

“You know.” Sparkling begins. She pauses and takes a moment. “I do think you’re opening a can of worms by allowing the press in. Could be dangerous. Right now ponies seem to be going against the changelings.”

I take a moment to consider that. “They are dangerous. However, they are also controllable. Right now they are independent, they have their objections, but I’m sure we can find ponies with sympathetic views. It’s all about making those ponies do the best. Controversy is good, it is necessary, it’ll fuel the fires of reform. I want ponies to question things, it’s the only sustainable system.”

“I hope you’re right.” She warns. “I don’t fully trust this, I’m not sure it’s fair either.”

“Is what we have now fair?”

“Exactly!” Yells Wellbridge. “It’s shit.”

“I’m sure you know best.”

“My dear Sparkling, I don’t claim that this will be easy or perfect, there will inevitably be problems. That’s why we’re here. To deal with them.”

Sparkling shrugs. “I trust you Earthheart. It’s not always easy, but I trust you.”

“Your skepticism is welcome Sparkling. We are here to to our duty, if I begin to serve myself over my country, you are to stop me. That’s an order, understood?”

“Of course.” She turns to Wellbridge. “So how was your day Wellbridge?”

Princess Chrysalis of Equestria

The pony yawns. “Forgive me Your Highness, but I am tired. I’m not as young as I used to be. If you don’t mind, is there anywhere more light we could talk in?”

“I am laying right now, so no. However, if you want I can send in a changeling to take you somewhere more comfortable?”

“Isn’t telepathy useful?”

“It is Earthheart. That changeling will now be able to communicate directly on my behalf.”

“Very good.” He smiles.

We are escorted into Earthheart’s office, he sits down and continues with all of the usual pleasantries, we cordially take part, until he offers “Now, what is it you wanted to discuss?”

“We are slightly concerned about the hostility that The Hive is receiving.” We offer. “We did not predict such open hostility, especially after such a promising start.”

“Would you care to elaborate? What is the hive currently experiencing?”

“A lot more fear, not much violence, but ponies are less willing to socialise now. They are afraid, of course this is not everywhere, but we believe it has increased since the press has attacked us. How can you guarantee our safety?”

Eartheart ponders that for a moment. “Any change breeds fear. Ponies will always prefer something they are familiar with them, unless it actively harms them. Therefore they are naturally afraid. This response is perfectly natural, wouldn’t you agree?”

“We would.”

“Good. Therefore we must show these ponies that life is better.”

“Yes, but how?”

“On your end you must prove your worth to society. Tomorrow there will hopefully be an article that discusses your use in the army. The first offensive was made by the anti changeling ponies, but I’m sure you can sense that many ponies will oppose them.”

“Indeed.”

“They will react. Just do not prove them wrong. It’s very important that you deal with rogue changelings as efficiently as possible. I hate to admit it, but they will be used against you.” He admits very frankly. “Nopony said this would be easy.”

“We are grateful for your support.”

“Very good. Now is there anything else?”

“One thing.”

“Yes?”

“Celestia.”

“What do you mean by that?” He adjusts his seat slightly, we can feel a degree of discomfort.

“We don’t trust her.”

“And why is that?”

“She’s been completely silent for the past week. She’s said nothing, she does nothing in the council. She doesn’t defend or attack us. She retreats. Do you even talk to her?”

“I do.”

“What does she say?”

“She complains about you all, that’s all. I trust her not to hinder you.”

“What is important Earthheart, is that she supports us. You should know this.” I say very calmly. “Celestia is one of our biggest assets, and she’s just remaining neutral. Every journalist in Equestria has tried to interview her, but she’s said nothing. Can you trust her?”

He seems stunned for a moment. “I’ll meet with her tomorrow.” We don’t believe that we’ve ever seen this pony look so frustrated. “I need time to think, if that is all?”

“One more thing, we are truly grateful to you.”

“I do my duty, there’s no need to thank me. In any case, you’re a good ally.”

“And so are you. Goodnight Earthheart.”

“And you Chrysalis.”

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment