• Published 13th Nov 2016
  • 850 Views, 120 Comments

Horse of Cards - Midnight Ice Cream



Imagine you are an officer in the Royal Guard. Your princess is far too miserable and tired to do her duty. Her laws are not enforced. Her kingdom is under constant risk of total annihilation. What would you do? This is what I did.

  • ...
8
 120
 850

Sixth Chapter

Sixth Chapter

This is just the start

This chapter begins the day following the previous chapter

Lieutenant Sunshine Earthheart: 1st Regiment of Royal Unicorn Guards

“It is with great pride that I promote you Sunshine Eartheart as the new captain of the Royal Guard!” I smile, as Princess Celestia places a spear on my shoulder. “You may rise.” I rise.

Captain Sunshine Eartheart of Her Majesty Princess Celestia’s Royal Guards

I am in the courtyard where the soldiers train. Such ceremony has always been conducted outside, no matter the weather. It gives us a soldier’s humility, although wearing this purple armour does rather remove that humility does it not? We should do something about the practicality of our armour. But enough of that, shall we continue with the ceremony?

“Is there anything you want to say to your soldiers captain?” Asks the Princess.

“May I?”

“Of course.”

I turn to face the entirety of the Day Guard. “Soldiers, if I can call you that.

What happened yesterday was a terrible tragedy, and a massive disgrace. To those few of you who weren’t captured or injured, well done. To those even fewer still of you who actually did something useful, I praise you.

I’m not going to waste your time by telling every single story of our failures, it’d take me all day. Suffice to say we are a joke. Even the Wonderbolts are good at entertaining. Bah! It is fair to go so far as saying as the Night Guard are at least discreet! But we are a public humiliation! We are quite simply a disgrace!

I can’t blame any one individual for this, we have seen a slow decline in discipline over the decades. We have wasted so much time on ceremony that we are no longer soldiers, we can only boast of wearing pretty armour, and standing still.

Do you think I’m happy with this?!

I can only imagine what you think! You joined to protect this country, but now all you do is get laughed at! No more! We are going to work hard!” There’s a cheer. “We’re going to train hard!” There’s another cheer. “And then!” I pause, making eye contact with each of the stallions, when all attention is on me I speak very calmly. “Maybe then, we’ll truly be able to call ourselves soldiers.

Things won’t be as easy with me in charge.” I say sincerely. “The drills will be tougher, the days longer. But at the end of the day we will all be stronger!

I want to thank Her Majesty for trusting me.” I turn towards The Princess. “I will not let you down.”

“Thank you captain.”

“May I dismiss the troops?” I ask far quieter.

“Of course.”

“Dismissed! Enjoy your breakfast. Today’s drills aren’t going to be as easy as they’ve been in the past, I can assure you of that.”

How did I do? I’m rather impressed with that, if I may be so bold as to be that arrogant. Maybe it is simply the first time I have truly experienced victory, and I am embracing the afterglow. Regardless I am happy with the result.

Now, I believe I have a breakfast meeting with Princess Luna and her Captain Midnight Skywatch. As much as I’ll never admit it to my soldiers, the Night Guard is a well oiled machine, and to my shame, far better run than ours, smaller admittedly but far better. The only problem is trying to coordinate their troops with ours, they have different priorities and therefore are impossible to properly organise. Well then, I suppose that’s why I’m here.

I make my way to Captain Skywatch’s office, without being escorted by Princess Celestia. I must say I prefer Luna’s approach of keeping an eye on what her troops are doing. That being said, I can imagine a thousand years of the same routine would bore anypony. I’ll write her a report with the important details of course.

I walk into a typical thestral office, poorly lit and dark blue. The Captain and The Princess are sat behind a large slate desk. “Congratulations Captain Earthheart. I’m glad my sister has chosen someone as competent for once.”

“Yea, maybe you lot won’t be such a bloody laughing stock. I’ve heard good things about you Captain.”

“I’m glad to be of service.” I kneel before The Princess. “I hope that we are able to work together in harmony.”

“Oh get up. Have some brekkars.” Says Skywatch.

“Indeed.” Luna adds. “You didn’t earn that title through ceremony. If ceremony came into it Skywatch here would remain a simple legionary. As long as I am given due respect, then all is well.”

“Just address The Princess properly Captain, you don’t want to know what happens when you call her mate.”

“Oh believe me I have seen the consequences of doing otherwise. It was most enjoyable.”

“Well, that’s basically the most ceremony you’ll have to deal with mate.” Skywatch remarks. “Strange innit? Ah well, not complaining, I like my job.”

“Unfortunately we have a lot more nonsense in our guard. But we are in the public eye more than you, so I do suppose giving the ponies a ceremonial guard is at least in part our duty.” I say.

“Of course, but the more important one should be giving them an actual guard.” Luna cuts in.

“Of course Highness. That is why I am here, is it not?”

“Indeed.”

“Now,” I say. “I have a rather drastic proposition to make. I think it’s important to note that I have not consulted your sister yet, however it is my intention to do so soon.”

“So what’s the deal?” Asks Skywatch.

“It’s simple, during the night you’ll be able to command the Day Guard, and during the day I’ll be able to command the Night Guard. Of course this is under emergency protocol. This way we’ll both have double ponypower in any military engagement, without any logistical problems. Naturally not much will change in day to day life, it’ll be protocol to let the night guards sleep during the day of course, and the other way around.”

“I’m all for it mate.” Said Skwatch, before turning to Luna. “I don’t know if her sis is though.”

“Very well, I just wanted to mention this before we get to the more mundane issues at hoof.”

“Very well, I am in agreement. I shall discuss this with my sister.”

“Good. Now, shall we enjoy our breakfast as we discuss the more mundane matters at hoof?”

Author's Note:

A very short one today unfortunately. Perhaps the shortest one I've got in the entire story. In any case, this is the first chapter of the second act of the first part. Earthheart's done the easy thing, he's gained power, now he's going to have to figure out what that means and how to use it.

I must say that it's very likely that I'll upload twice this week considering the length of this chapter. Not sure exactly when, probably around midweek. In any case I think beyond that things will continue as normal, I'll be posting on Sundays.

I hope you enjoy this chapter, and have a nice day

Midnight