• Published 13th Nov 2016
  • 850 Views, 120 Comments

Horse of Cards - Midnight Ice Cream



Imagine you are an officer in the Royal Guard. Your princess is far too miserable and tired to do her duty. Her laws are not enforced. Her kingdom is under constant risk of total annihilation. What would you do? This is what I did.

  • ...
8
 120
 850

Tenth Chapter

Tenth Chapter

The usefulness of compassion is shown here

This chapter begins during dinner time following the previous chapter

Her Royal Highness Princess Luna Princess of the Night

“... And that in short is why we should have an expeditionary force?” Says Earthheart. “What do you think Your Highness?”

“I…” Are they really asking me for my opinion? Earthheart looks at me eagerly, Celestia just seems concerned, I’m not sure if she approves of this fully herself. “Yes, I approve. We have been under a lot of threats recently.”

“Splendid, I’ll begin my work as soon as possible.”

Celestia looks down at her food, she doesn’t seem happy at all. “I suppose this is what it has to come to.” She says. “I never wanted to go back into this.”

“Your Majesty, I assure you, it’s a necessity.” He looks at her straight in the eyes. “And you know it.”

“Yes I do.” She sinks. “However, this is not going to be our first line of defense, only if we have to! I don’t want ponies to die at my hoof.”

“Understood Your Majesty.”

“Celestia, he’s got a point.” I say. “There never seems to be an end of monsters attacking us. There’s been countless since I returned.”

“Yes, but friendship has always triumphed.”

“Sombra, Tirek?” I ask. “All friendship did there was blast them into oblivion-”

Earthheart cuts me off. “Sometimes, it’s the only way Your Majesty. I do not aim it to be our first resort, we all know first hand the damage war does.”

“If you could see the dreams that I witness every night.” I say.

“Yes, yes, you’re right…” She takes a deep breath in. “How long do you think this will take?”

“It depends. I’m going to call a meeting with my officers,” he gestures towards me. “And yours. To discuss the practicalities. This army will have to be unified, with a single commander. Naturally I put myself up for that role.”

“Naturally.” I say, he really has no shame that pony. “And I’d agree, you’d do a great job.”

“Thank you. I would also suggest reorganising the Royal Guard. The Lunar Guard is efficient yes, but it’s tiny to compare with the Day Guard. To me that’s absurd. Both need to come closer, if we integrate them, they’ll work together more efficiently. I suggest we appoint Captain Skywatch as head of the entire Canterlot Garrison-”

“Captain Earthheart,” Says Celestia, not unkindly. “Forgive me, but this is mentally quite strenuous. I’m going to take a break.”

“Of course Princess, it is late after all, and I understand the strain this puts you through.”

“Thank you. You may give me a summary of what you share with Luna tomorrow morning. We’ll look over it then.”

“Thank you Princess.”

“Luna,” says Celestia. “Would you kindly meet me after you finish here? I need to discuss something with you.”

“Oh? Of course.” What is she on about now? Celestia leaves the room. “I wonder why she’s feeling like this?”

“I wouldn’t judge her too harshly Highness, she doesn’t want ponies to die for her, which is a good principle, yet sometimes it’s not one we can hold. I might feel the same way if I had half of her experiences.”

“Yes, but it’s necessary information.”

“Not to worry Highness, I’ll inform her tomorrow.”

“I really wish Celestia could see sense.” I say.

“Princess Luna, I think she is.”

“I hope you are right.” I say. “You really give me hope Captain.”

“Thank you.”

“I’ve been waiting for somepony to take action around here. Every other day, there seems to be something bad I hear about. I spend my nights looking into little foal’s dreams. Celestia is able to make so very little of them happy, and so many are still unsafe. Yes, there are a few, but she can’t help everypony in Equestria. So many with parents unable to provide for them, so many problems she could help with. I do what I can too of course, I wish I could do more. Every night I know that I can help more. Celestia just seems to give up.” I admit. “But you, I know you’ll help this country and her ponies, rich and poor, big and small. I love Celestia, I really do, I just wished she helped more.”

“I’ll do what I can Your Highness.”

“So tell me, what are your plans?”

Earthheart tells me with such enthusiasm and such confidence what he plans for this new army. He’s going to give Skywatch Captaincy of the entire Royal Guard, appoint one of his own officers as daytime sub commander. Then he’ll be able to concentrate on building a real army, one that can defeat anything. With something like this, we’ll all be safe. He’s been able to get this far in a week! Less than a week. When a pony comes up with that kind of talent, you really know how good they’re going to be. All he ever seems to think about is his work. That’s serious enthusiasm.

“Equestria will be safe one day.” He says proudly, but with a hint of nervousness. “I hope. I wish I have enough time. Oh forgive my nervousness, I worry too much.” He taps his hooves together “It’s a useless worry. One must do what one can.”

“Oh don’t worry.” I say happily. “You’ll get this done.”

“I’m sure of it, but I’m not sure your sister is. Princess Luna, she seems distraught, you must help her. I know she can be a pain, but she is your sister.” He’s right I suppose. “I may be overstepping my bounds, but if there is anything I can do to help, I will.”

“Thank you Captain.” I say solemnly. “You’re right. I shall go to see her.”

“Good, and I’ve some paperwork to finish.”

“Enjoy yourself.” I remark somewhat sarcastically.

“Thank you,” he replies with a grin oozing with sarcasm “and good luck with your sister.”

I hope I can get somewhere with her. She’s just so stubborn.

I make my way up the hallways of Canterlot Castle to her bedroom. I knock, no answer, again, nothing. I open the door. Celestia is in her bed pretending to be asleep. “Celestia.”

“Please leave me alone.”

“What is it, you know you can tell me?”

“Luna, I’m afraid.” She says. “What if we’re making the wrong choice?”

“Why are you so worried?”

“It’s personal Luna. You’d not understand.” I sit on the bed, and wrap a wing around her.

“Celestia, could you at least try?”

“Oh Luna, when you returned. If Earthheart had his way, you’d have been killed.”

“Celestia, you forget I can’t die.”

“Isn’t banished close enough? Luna I’d not want to send you back. Ever since then I’ve always wanted to give ponies a chance. I know what Earthheart says makes sense. But surely, surely I’ve got a point too.” I wrap my wing tighter.

“Celestia, you do a good job.”

“Thanks.” She says in between sobs. “It means a lot.”

“But Earthheart has a point sis. He’s only making a failsafe. You remember how close the changelings got don’t you?”

“Yes. Luna, for the first time in my reign I feel challenged. Not by enemies, not by monsters trying to oust me from power, but by my own incompetence. My brain knows that this is the right thing, but it just feels so wrong.”

“Sometimes the unpleasant thing is the right one. You know that, even I know that. I do not resent you for sending me to the moon, I’d have ruined Equestria if given power. I know you still think I can’t do anything, I know I’m a thousand years younger. But now more than ever you need me, just as much as I need you big sister.” I look down into her now watery eyes, and she returns a smile. “I love you Celestia. Even if I disagree with you, you’re still my sister, and I’ll always support you.”

“Thank you Luna.” She says. “I love you too, maybe I am a bit hard on you. Forgive me.”

“I forgive you.”

“All I know here is whatever happens, there’s going to be a big impact. For once I can’t predict what it is. Luna, I don’t know what to do.”

“Accept the change. All around us things are changing. Every day something new is being invented, I can hardly keep up with it all. Why not let the Royal Guard change too? Let it evolve, let it do its job.”

“I need to be more decisive. I already know that this is my choice, I need to stick with it.” She picks herself up. “I will not hinder the success of my Kingdom. Nor shall I allow innocents to die by my hoof.”

“That’s the spirit.”

Celestia looks up at me a little more optimistically. “Thanks Luna. You’re a great sister.”

Author's Note:

So here we get to see things from Luna's perspective. Luna is an interesting one to write for, in ways that will probably become apparent. It's very difficult to see where her loyalties lay and her relationship with Celestia of course is always an interesting dynamic.

I thought it prudent to mention here, is that Luna can't see into the dreams of adult ponies. While this may or may not contradict show canon, I remember debating at great lengths over this. Originally I had planned for Luna to look into Eartheart's dreams which would reveal a lot, both personally and strategically. However I abandoned the idea since it could potentially reveal too much. I don't think Luna would take too kindly to being so insulted by a pony she admires in her sleep. It simply made it impossible to write considering all of the possibilities, and traits of Earthheart. And yet I think it conveyed pretty well how Luna is at least some degree in touch with ponies, while still remaining isolated and despite her good intentions, not having a clue what to do. For in many ways Luna is like a child in this story, not sure if that was originally intended, but that's how I think it came across. She is incredibly naive, but also incredibly well meaning.

Anyway, I'm sure you can all draw your own assumptions about her. Please enjoy the story and let me know what you think.

Oh and you must forgive me for not uploading this one earlier. I know it's incredibly short, however my dear friend and prereader Azure Drache is visiting me personally. Despite the fact that he is my prereader, we've been rather busy visiting the local landmarks of my sweet home.

Anyway, enjoy my friends

Midnight.