• Published 13th Nov 2016
  • 846 Views, 120 Comments

Horse of Cards - Midnight Ice Cream



Imagine you are an officer in the Royal Guard. Your princess is far too miserable and tired to do her duty. Her laws are not enforced. Her kingdom is under constant risk of total annihilation. What would you do? This is what I did.

  • ...
8
 120
 846

Part 2: Twenty First Chapter

Part 2:
To Play a Princess

Twenty First Chapter

Old Warriors Young Pretenders

Princess Chrysalis of Equestria

Never in our centuries of existence, did we see ourselves in this throne room. We have attacked Equestria many times, sometimes with grand ambition, other times just to feed. Sometimes we plunder as much as we can, others we raid. We never thought the ponies of Equestria would just give love away. Of course there are regulations, we aren’t allowed to change, except under a strict set of circumstances, somepony even made a fortune on selling streetlamps that unveil any disguised changeling. Ponies are fools, we are fed, we are happy. All of this is reasonable and fair. Naturally change is required, for both parties, but we are happy.

The throne room is changed from the last time we invaded. Now there are five thrones, each with equal precedence, engraved with our emblems, all sat around a long oval table. Right now there isn’t much conversation, all Princesses are waiting for Celestia. There is the occasional attempt at conversation, but it is shot down. Cadence obviously doesn’t like working with us. She is fearful, reasonably so. She is civil, but she will not engage with us outside of work. We do not receive love from its Princess, only her ponies.

The door to the throne room opens. “Sorry I’m late.” Says Celestia in a not at all sorry way. All she feels is boredom. This isn’t the first time, nor will it be the last. She plops herself down on a her throne. “Alright, so Twilight, what’s on the agenda?”

“Well today we’re discussing changelings and education.”

“Alright.” Celestia turns to us. “Chrysalis, you’re the changeling. How do you want ponies to be taught about us?”


“Thank you.” We begin. “We believe that it is best to teach ponies about the misconceptions of changelings. Perhaps a little bit about our history, and why ponies are so afraid of us. Ultimately to teach them, why we’re not dangerous anymore, and why they should not worry. Essentially, that any previous hostilities were because we needed to feed, and that is a resolved issue. I also believe it prudent to teach ponies how the hivemind work. The hive agrees.”

“Pfft. Like it’ll ever disagree.” Says Cadence under her breath. She’s not wrong.

Ignoring her Twilight starts. “I agree! I think this is a great opportunity for friendship.”

Cadence chuckles. “With due respect Chrysalis, you are rather dangerous. I think we should also teach why changelings are dangerous.”

“Of course.” We offer. “However, I believe we should teach ponies of all sorts of dangers. While we are capable of many dangerous things, as a hive we are one. If I decree it that no pony is harmed, no pony is harmed. If pony schools are to be taught of dangerous changelings. They should be taught of rogue changelings, and what to do in the case of finding one.”

Cadence grunts. “Fair enough. But shouldn’t changelings also go to pony schools?”

“That wouldn’t work. Changelings are larvae, not foals. After that, we become adult. Education for changelings is when the hive transfers information to the larvae and pupae. After that information is circulated almost instantly by magic throughout our lifespans. Conventional education would therefore be silly. If we are to educate changelings, it is through the hive, and therefore through me.”

“This sounds rather dangerous. How are we meant to know what your changelings are taught?””

“Naturally. I’ll write something up. I’d be happy for your input.”

“How would we know if you’re not lying?”

“Ladies please.” Celestia begs. “Let’s get on track. I think we’re all in broad agreement, that we should teach ponies about changelings from a young age.” Everypony nods. “Chrysalis, I want details. After that we can all argue over it.” Everypony nods. Despite the fact that Celestia has the same official power as the rest of us, she’s often the one who cares least, which has resulted in her being somewhat of a moderator.

“Yes, well…”

Princess Luna of Equestria

Well, I don’t really know what to think about that. It’s all well and good reforming the changelings, but I don’t know. It’s not as easy as all that, speaking from experience. I sympathise with Chrysalis, but Cadence makes a good point. How can we trust her? I don’t know, I turn my mind towards lunch. What normally happens is that Celestia leaves, where, I have no idea. She likes her privacy, but Cadence, Twilight and Myself go out to a lovely café in Canterlot. I have no idea what Chrysalis does to be honest. I’d be rather curious to see how she feeds.

The moment Chrysalis is out of sight, Cadence sighs. “Do you trust her Twilight? Something is fishy.”

“Cadence I don’t know what the problem is,” Says Twilight.

“Please, let’s not talk politics, I’d rather eat first at least.”

Both agree to those terms.

*****

“All I’m saying is, is that this system is nonsense!” Says Cadence. “This whole council of Princesses is just silly in the first place.” She bites down on her hayburger. Needless to say, I was unable to stop politicians talking about politics. “Things were fine on their own. Issues were dealt with on an individual basis. It worked.”

“I’m not against the council.” I say, I hate being pressed into argument. “We need laws across all of Equestria. Besides, it means we all have an equal say in things.”

“I’m sorry Cadence, I agree with Luna.”

“Well, I don’t know why the Empire had to get involved at least, we were doing a good job without everypony else. But I digress, the only reason we have this council is because we’ve got to accommodate changelings. They’re not my business, and they shouldn't be yours. I don’t think it’s fair to trust them!”

“Not with that attitude. Cadence, I know it’s hard to forgive such a harsh crime, but surely you can find it in your heart to do so.” Twilight pleads.

“Luna, surely you can see my point. I don’t mean to be mean, but still. It’s a dangerous game we’re playing.”

“Well,” I begin. “I see your point. I don’t fully trust Chrysalis, but then again. It’s taken me a long time to trust myself.”

“I don’t think it helps that we exclude Chrysalis all the time.” Twilight sounds frustrated. “We should give her a chance.” She’s been over this argument far too many times.

“How are we even meant to dine with somepony who feeds on love?”

“Well I am! I think you’ve been unfair to Chrysalis. Obviously you two have issues. But I think we should be able to resolve them, for friendship.”

Marshall Sunshine Earthheart of The Royal Equestrian Army

Nice to see you again. How are you? Well I hope. It’s been quite a while since I’ve last seen you, although I can’t it’s been terribly long for you. I’ve been well, so has Sparkling, she’s not entirely comfortable around changelings, but she accepts them. She saw my point. Oh by the way, do you like my new uniform? Extravagant isn’t it? It was designed by Rarity, strangely it’s not nearly as uncomfortable as it looks or my previous uniform.

Ah forgive me, this must be Celestia. She often comes into my office after council meetings. It keeps me informed, and it gives her somepony to talk to. Work for me has been significantly lighter, therefore I’ve been able to get away with spending time so liberally. You’ll be glad to hear that my army is complete, and that it practically runs itself. However, my ambition does not end there. Forgive me, I really must answer it. “Enter.” I look up from my desk. “How was your meeting?”

Celestia slumps into the armchair facing me. “Do you have any chocolate?”

“Of course.” I levitate a bar of cheap white chocolate towards her.

“Lovely.”

I smile, “It’s strange how you like that brand.”

“I know I have infinite money, but cheap chocolate is nice. Has less annoying things added to it.”

I nod gently. “So how was your meeting?”

“Dull, it’s so pointless when we all agree. I don’t know why I should bother.”

“All in due time Celestia, all in due time. We are creating a new structure entirely, there will be a lot of dullery in order to make it work. We’ve talked about this.”

“I know. I just wish we could get to the meaty discussions soon. That way I can finally be rid of this job.”

“I know Celestia, I know. But first the ponies of Equestria must learn to get used to having consistent laws. I believe the next step is a stab at transparency. My plan only works if the ponies of Equestria want a say in things. Therefore, we must include them.”

“Transparency eh?”

“Indeed, we must show that the council of princesses is polarizing.”

Perhaps I have said too much already. I can’t give away everything, I suppose I can, just not to you. Please don’t take offense, it’s all for your own good. It’d ruin everything if I gave it away.

Diamond Tiara Head of Steel Departament of Rich Enterprises

I must say, I envy Mr Colt. Having wealth is all well and good, but earning it is the fun part. I’ve been chomping at the bit for such an opportunity. Finally Daddy is giving me a real chance at proving myself. Recently he purchased a small, run down steel mill in Baltimare, and gave it to me to make it profitable. Right now I’m driving to Colt’s factory also in Baltimare to meet with the stallion himself, hopefully we’ll both be able to profit from this.

Colt’s factory truly is a beautiful building. Most other factories, including mine, are purely functional, characterised as grey monolithic structures with smokestacks towering into the sky. Colt’s place on the other hand is painted bright blue, and has his name proudly written across the wall in white. On top of the factory is a great Canterlotesque dome, presumably a bell to signal the end of a hard day’s work. It’s still a factory though, there is a smokestack, and the usual functionalities. Colt himself waits for me at the main entrance, sporting a fine grey suit and a top hat. I pay my driver, and walk out to greet him. “Good afternoon Miss Tiara.”

I shake his hoof. “And to you Mr Colt.” We turn towards the factory. “Might I say your factory is marvelous.”

“Why thank you, I trust your train ride over here wasn’t too troublesome?”

“Not at all, glad to be here.”

“How long have you been here for?”

“Only a couple of nights, it’s my first time here.”

“Well, I hope you end up liking the town as much as I do.”

“Thank you.”

“So I thought it a good idea to show you around the place before we start off anything serious.”

“Sounds like a good idea.”

We enter the factory. “So, could you tell me why you made this place look so pretty?” I ask. Inside, it is a lot more functional, but it is to be noted that all the walls are painted in a pale blue and that there is plenty of sunlight let in through the many windows.

“Well, I believe that workers should have pride in the place they work, like I did when I started up in Goldford. I make sure to pay my workers a good wage, and treat them fairly. I like to have plenty of sunlight as to keep up morale, see. Stops the place from lookin’ so gloomy, that way ponies will feel motivated to work for me. It’s also of course for brandin’, I’ve got to look like a respectable company in the eyes of the consumer. Granted much of our income is from selling weapons, but I want to expand into more general areas, such as tools, fixtures and what have you.”

Occasionally Colt comments on various aspects of manufacturing, all the time with great pride in his work. But as we progress, I can’t help but noticing a lot of the machinery is unused, there aren’t any workers there. “I overbuilt.” He says rather embarrassed, before continuing the tour. “Hopefully we’ll be able to use those machines soon.”

Finally we arrive at his office. Strangely enough, it is rather humble, there is a desk, a nice, but not ridiculous chair behind it, and a similar chair in front of it. Behind him, there is a painting of the factory’s exterior. Opposite him, on the walls, are a two paintings, one a picture of what I believe is Goldford, judging by what I’ve heard of it, and the other a beautiful picture of the factory at work. Finally, there is a filing cabinet, and a few boxes, stacked around the desk. “Take a seat.” He offers, before taking his. “Alright, I’ll cut to the chase. The tools business is hard. We’re only just able to manufacture our guns, but expanding is just impossible. It’s not that it’s a poorly run company, it’s not. We make a healthy profit from sellin’ guns, and it’s not a lack of ponypower either. Every day we get ponies lookin’ for jobs that ain’t there. Problem is, we’re not gettin’ enough steel. That’s why I was so eager to meet you. I’d like to buy as much steel as I can get my hooves on.”

“And I’d like to sell as much of it as I can. As a matter of fact, I was looking for an exclusive deal with you.”

“Oh?”

“Right now the steel business isn’t looking good. It’s not like there’s a lack of demand, it’s a lack of supply. The only decent iron mine in Equestria fell victim to one of Princess Twilight’s ‘friendship lessons’. Therefore iron supply is incredibly limited. I can’t claim to be offering you all the steel you want, but what I can offer is a consistent flow of it, that you can make into whatever you need.”

“Right now, I’ll take what I can get. You wouldn’t believe the stress the existing steel companies have nowadays, or the stress I undergo in order to get it. I’m happy that you’re offering such a deal, right now the only thing that gets me what I need is the government contract.”

“Yes, I’ve heard. The mill that I run simply wasn’t able to produce enough to fulfil the demand.”

“I worked with the owner briefly before. Honourable stallion. He began sellin’ at a loss hoping beyond hope he’d be able to compete with other ponies. So, might I ask Diamond, why did you get into such a failing business?”

“Do you know my father?”

“Mr Rich of Barnyard Bargains, a fine stallion to be sure.”

“Why thank you, well he’s already made his fortune, and his impact. He saw a gap in distribution. You know his story I’m sure. I won’t bore you with it. Point is, he’s made his impact, I could continue his legacy, but I want to surpass it. I wanted to prove myself, not just carry on in an already built up industry. So I begged Daddy to buy me this steel mill. I wanted to prove to him that I could revive a dead industry. Ponies need steel Colt, they don’t build buildings like they used to. My home town of Ponyville is made almost entirely of wood and Crystal. You’ve seen Manehattan, they’ve not built anything new there in ages. Your factory is the newest thing around. How could I not accept such a challenge?”


Colt leans back into his chair. “How do you plan on meeting it?”

“It’s not going to be easy. One of the problems with this industry is the insecurity. It’s why there aren’t many factories that use steel. I’m sure you can tell me how difficult it is to get your daily input.”

“You wouldn’t believe. Dozens of ponies compete for it. Contractors, manufacturers. It’s impossible. I have too many companies to count that I import steel from. It seems like some go bust on a daily basis.” He says.

“Exactly, that’s why we should work together. Unlike most other steel dependent industries, you’re doing well. It’s silly to compete for inconsistent contracts. I’ll admit my price is high. But every single drop out of my furnace goes to you. If you give me enough money to be profitable, I will shut down any competition. I’ll buy all of the iron. I’ll make it impossible for ponies to even attempt competing. That way, at least there’ll be one steel plant running at decent efficiency.” Colt smiles. “They’re bound to make it a political issue I’m sure. This anti friendship behaviour is not popular in Equestria. Hopefully, that’ll mean the Princesses actually allow somepony competent to buy that mine.”

“You’re very ruthless.”

“How else am I meant to win?”

“I’ll admit, I don’t approve of those tactics. However, I need that steel, and I need those bastards to open up that mine. So, let’s talk specifics.”

*****

I lie back on my bed. Today has been tiring. I can’t let anypony know what a shit situation this all is. I really should have done research on this. Bah! I will not be defeated! I’m not going to let the so called magic of friendship stand in the way of my margins. It’s a matter of principle. Other ponies are fleeing from this industry, building things with wood and stone. I’ll prove them wrong. I’m going to win! I can’t lose sight of that. I will not be defeated.

Silver walks into the room. “How was it?” She asks.

“We got our deal. But that’s just the start. How was the inspection?”

“This place is remarkably well run. We simply don’t get enough input. It turns out that to be efficient, the previous management only hired them part time. I talked to a few of them about it, a lot of these ponies work several jobs. It’s not just a problem with this industry. In general the factories in Baltimare don’t get enough resources.” I grunt, annoyed.

“Two days in this business, and it always gets worse.”

“Do you want a glass of wine?”

“No, vodka, straight. I need to stop thinking.” Silver goes into the kitchen, and returns with a glass of vodka.

“You know, you could always quit. I’m sure the factory will be worth just as little as you got it for. You could actually do some research this time, find an opportunity.”

“Don’t you see? This is an opportunity. We got this factory dirt cheap, and just at the right time. Politics are changing Silver. We could let them change idly I suppose, or we could push that change along a little bit. Consistent laws, that allow us to mine. I’m sure the princesses would be all over such a friendship lesson.”

“I hope you’re right.” She says comfortingly.

I take the vodka, and drink. “Oh that’s good. Anyway, enough of this. Tomorrow I’m going to see if I can secure a deal with that mine. I need all the sleep I can get.”

Sparkling Soda Assistant to Marshall Earthheart

I pour Wellbridge a pint of Red Barrel, before creating something more exotic for myself. “How are you doing then love?” Wellbridge takes a sip of his pint. “Ahhh, that’s perfect, cheers.”

“I’m doing, alright. I can’t say I feel comfortable around changelings.”

“Oh cheer up love. They’re alright once you get to know them. A bit strange how they’ve only got one personality, but they’re great soldiers. You know what, I should introduce you to one.” I shudder at the thought. “Look, I know you’ve got issues with ‘em. All of Equestria does. But come on, we’ve got to get over that.” Wellbridge takes a big swig. “They’re so well organised that they’ll put us ponies out of a job. They can form positions instantly in complete silence. That telepathy shit is bloody mental.”

“That’s what scares me. I trust Earthheart, I just don’t quite feel right around them.”

Wellbridge smiles a comforting smile. “I getcha, I really do. But the world is changing, no use not changing with it. I really reckon you should meet one.” He laughs. “Maybe even Chrysalis if she’s up for it. See if Earthheart’s willing to pull a few strings. Not that it’d be any different from any other changeling. They’re strange things. See one, see them all.”

“You’ve said.”

“Have I? Well, sorry love.” He taps his head. “Age and all that. I’m not as sharp as I’ve been in the past.”

“No worries.” I sip my cocktail. “Huh.” I stare into the distance. “Maybe you’re right, perhaps it’s better to face my fears. Maybe I should have a chat to Chrysalis about all that’s happened. What’s the worst that could happen?”

“Spoken like a true soldier!”

Author's Note:

So Part Two is here and we have new narrators and for the first time in this story, a character not based in Canterlot.

Chrysalis was an interesting one for me to write, she's not like ordinary ponies, and it's here I really fleshed out the hivemind system of theirs. Changelings are mostly of one mind, they have few to no individual traits, depending on how independent the changeling is. Overwood for example as an agent has to act more independently as does Chrysalis and is therefore able to form perceptions based on his own view of the world. Of course other changelings can see what he's seeing, and to a lesser extent will feel what he's up to, however they won't experience it as vividly as he will. Chrysalis herself has a degree of personality too, and acts as essentially a server to the other changelings, she can see it all, and see it very vividly, and can therefore represent the hive perfectly. Thing is, while changelings do experience different things and can form certain opinions by themselves, that can easily be overridden by the hive mind and they can be controlled more directly. So in short, they have incredibly limited individuality and function mostly as a hive.

We also had Diamond Tiara. I thought it'd be good to introduce an outsider as a character to show the real world effects of what's going on in Canterlot and an industrialist is a good one to do it with as she gives an incredibly involved perspective on the economy. I thought to myself that a society as advanced as Equestria would do very badly if run by decree under the Friendship philosophy. In the case they mention it's an iron mine, which we'll learn more about later. But in the show there was that episode with Flim and Flam who were challenging an ineffective monopoly and were told to leave Ponyville because they weren't particularly wholesome, even though they offered an amazing product. Such a philosophy if widespread enough is going to really deteriorate technical innovation, and lead to a lot of ineffective, unchallenged monopolies and ultimately a failed state for an awful lot of ponies. It could also lead to cronyism, whereby friends of Twilight will want to stop the dodgy looking evil capitalist from taking away their wholesome inefficient, yet environmentally friendly agriculture. I didn't need this so much before as the events were a lot more based on Canterlot, and didn't effect the wider world very much, or if it did, it was passively in protecting it. Nobody really wants to read about the town that didn't get invaded because of Earthheart's army. I also really enjoy the thought of my adorable fat lesbian capitalist diamond tiara and her adorable marefriend Silver Spoon.

So beyond that we've got the council of princesses. It's a dynamic I very much enjoyed writing. I enjoy the tension they have in those halls and outside them. Now instead of dealing with issues on a case by case basis, these princesses, all of whom have very different opinions are going to make permanent rules that will decide the fate of their country. And of course there's the threat of changelings, and a very delicate balance of power over there. Earthheart hasn't elevated himself that much considering, admittedly he has a new title, but politically he is still in the same position, if anything he's given up his power by neutering Celestia's absolute authority.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy this, I certainly did.

Have fun reading
Midnight Ice Cream