• Published 13th Nov 2016
  • 848 Views, 120 Comments

Horse of Cards - Midnight Ice Cream



Imagine you are an officer in the Royal Guard. Your princess is far too miserable and tired to do her duty. Her laws are not enforced. Her kingdom is under constant risk of total annihilation. What would you do? This is what I did.

  • ...
8
 120
 848

Eighteenth Chapter

Eighteenth Chapter

The festival of friendship

Four weeks following the previous chapter

Sparkling Soda Personal Assistant to Captain Sunshine Eartheart

“You know Sparkling, I can handle today, you’d best be out enjoying yourself.”

“Are you sure Earthheart?”

“Certainly, I’ll be managing the practical aspects of security today, it’s something I’ve been doing for years. As useful as you are, you are a bureaucrat not a soldier. Unless there’s something incredibly important to catch up on, I advise you enjoy the festival.”

“Thank you.”

“Not at all, have fun.” I haven’t given it much thought, but I suppose it’s a lovely day. What could possibly go wrong? I could catch some ice cream. “Oh Sparkling, if you’d like you could see the parade. I think it’d be a nice testament to our grandness.”

“Good idea.” I turn to Earthheart. “Why is there a festival today?”

“I’m not entirely sure, all I know is that it’s a nuisance for me, but a fun day for you. Celestia can be a fool sometimes, as you well know. I just hope The Princess doesn’t complain too much to me about her “friends” later on.”

“Oh, it’ll be fine I’m sure.”

“I know, it’s only a day long after all. Now, get out there and enjoy it.”



*****

This really is the life. I’m sitting outside in this gorgeous weather, eating an ice cream, on one of the castle balconies watching the parade go by.

In front are all four Princesses, followed by our brand new army, without a Crystal Guard in sight, might add. It feels amazing to know that I’ve contributed to creating such a wonderful thing. These soldiers dressed in their bright red tunics and black helmets, with spears slung on their backs. A few of the soldiers in front even have guns I almost feel safe for once.

Ponies watch this spectacle on the street, parents take their children to watch it. There are plenty of stalls selling haydogs and ice creams. Even from up here you can smell the chips and the jubilation. This isn’t the biggest festival we get, but everypony seems to be appreciating the day off work.

You know what? I’m going to take a bath and come out later to enjoy the evening.

Her Royal Highness Princess Luna Princess of the Night

This is amazing. I love this! I love this attention! I wave to the cheering crowds of happy ponies with the dignified wave of a Princess. This festival is going just as planned. Celestia let me work a lot on this, I practically arranged the whole thing.

Lately I’ve been doing quite well for myself. Celestia has been giving me a lot more responsibilities than normal. One day she just said we should have a festival, something fun to liven up the place. Who am I to argue with that? It’s a great idea. We thought we could tie in the army with the festival of friendship. So there are of course recruitment stalls, and all of the new technology is on show.

Oh but that’s not all, we’ve got plenty of civilian things. Ponies from far and wide are encouraged to exhibit any new inventions they like. I thought it’d be a great idea to have this, so that ponies could invest in good ideas maybe allowing ponies to make the connections they need to sell their products. Celestia very much approved of that one, so we’ve got plenty of stalls up for our striving new inventors. I thought it’d be a good idea for Colt to hold a speech about it. I really hope this helps ponies! That’s going to be the first thing I visit in this festival.

I turn over to Celestia, she’s got her parade smile on. It seems genuine, maternal and kind, but I know her well enough to know that she’s hating every minute of it. Through that smile I can just see fatigue. I really hope she’s alright, she told me earlier that she hadn’t slept much last night. Still, I’m not going to let Celestia ruin this day for us. Twilight, Cadence and I have a game plan, we’re going to make the most of today the moment this parade is over. I’m looking forward to being interviewed about this whole thing. Celestia will just take a few interviews and enjoy the rest of the day off.

After the parade I follow Celestia as she confidently leads the way to the press conference we’re holding. She wants this over and done with, any ponies wishing to converse with her on the way are blanked out. I follow her, as it’s the formal thing to do, Cadence and Twilight follow me. “Alright,” She addresses us. “I’m going to speak first, then if you want to say something you can go ahead Luna. After that whoever has the most to say speaks.” We all nod in agreement.

Celestia walks up on the podium, in front of a reasonable amount of press. It’s been a slow news week, so a story like this might even reach the front page outside of Canterlot. “Good afternoon. I want to thank everypony for coming to this festival, what we have achieved here is a testament to the values of friendship and magic…”

Sparkling Soda Personal Assistant to Captain Sunshine Eartheart

Mr Colt runs up to me and shakes my hoof. “Sparklin’ Soda. So lovely to see you.”

“Likewise Mr Colt.”

“It’s nice to see a familiar face in such an unfamiliar city. So how are you finding this festival?”

“I’m really enjoying it actually, I’ve been relaxing for most of the day. What about you, you’re taking more of a spotlight than I.”

“Well, I’m not much of a public speaker, but I’ll give it a go. I like what they’re doing, it’s a good start. I hope some ponies get a good deal out of this.” Colt looks towards a few stalls set up where nervous inventors are showing their wares to Canterlot’s upper classes. “You know, there have been so many ponies that have had such good ideas, yet have never had the opportunity to get investment.” He points “Those two ponies back there had a machine that manufactured high quality cider one hundred percent faster than any manual way of doing so. I asked them about it, and they’ve never been allowed to use it. They tried selling in Ponyville, and nopony would allow them to break the Apple family monopoly on apples, so they tried working with them, and they were just thrown out. You know, I encourage competition, I want your army to buy my guns, not because I’m the only pony to make guns, which I am. No ma’am, I want you to buy my guns because they’re the damn best guns around. Anypony with a better product than mine is welcome to compete. Not that they’ll stand a chance.” He chuckled.

“I agree. Did you see that pony with the machine that allowed him to speak to ponies at a distance?”

“Oh yes, that was quite amazing. Imagine all of these things coming to life in the future? I tell you Sparkling, we’re living in wonderful times to see all of this come to fruition.”

“Indeed.”

“Anyway my dear, would you be so kind as to watch my speech. A friendly face in a crowd is always welcome.”

“It’d be my honour.”

“Well then, I’m sure I’ll be feeling a lot less nervous going up with you there.”

Colt shakes my hoof before walking away. He appears again on a little stage with a microphone beside him.

“Evenin’ I hope all of you ponies are having a good day. I’ve spent my afternoon speaking with many of ya’ll about your inventions. When I get my factory set up, I’ll be sure to invest some of my money into some of these wonderful designs. Well that’s if I can afford to with all the fortunes you’ll be making.

You know, talkin’ to ya’ll today has been a real eye opener for me. I think it’s a crime that some of these inventions ain't on the market yet. Now for some of you, that’s understandable, these inventions are new, they might not be ready. But I can safely say that every single one of the inventions I’ve encountered today has good potential.

My own story is a long one. I built guns to protect my town against an onslaught of dragons. Ponies needed my product, so ponies bought it. But still, at the time it was a product only my town would buy. You wouldn’t believe the nightmare I had to go through in order to get the army to buy it.

Well, what I’m gettin’ at here, is that there aint many opportunities for ponies like us in Equestria. Seein’ as how none of ya’ll are getting investments or any sort of deals, it’s a disgrace. Plain and simple, and that’s why I’m so glad somethin’ like this exists. I know it’s a small start, but one day. I can hope that each of you will be rewarded. Alright, that about wraps it up, I’m not much of a speaker. So any questions?”

Her Royal Highness Princess Luna Princess of the Night

Ohh, it seems as if I’ve missed most of Colt’s speech. That’s quite a shame really. He’s asking if anypony has any questions. I’ve not talked to Mr Colt a lot, but he seems like an excellent pony. He finishes up his story, and gets off the stage. I walk up to him. “Mr Colt, I’m so sorry I couldn’t see your speech.”

“Not a problem Princess. I understand you’ve been very busy this festival.” Twilight taps me on the back.

“I’m gonna...” She says to me, gesturing towards the ponies in boaters. “Those ponies over there, they look familiar.”

“Oh don’t stay on my account Twilight.”

Twilight walks off to a couple of vendors in striped waistcoats and boater hats. “You know, Princess Luna, I’ve been told that you were the one to come up with the idea of this little event. I must commend you on that ma’am. Excellent work. I think if things like this continue, you’ll make Equestria a lot better.” He gives me a hoofshake.

“Why thank you. I’m glad you’re.” What’s Twilight doing? She seems to be aggressively arguing with the two ponies dressed in stripes.

“Excuse me, might I ask, why Princess Twilight is acting so aggressively towards the Flim Flam Brothers?”

“I don’t know.”

“If you’d allow me to be so rude as to investigate?”

“Of course.” Such a polite pony.

Colt and I head towards Twilight who is shouting at the Flim Flam Brothers. “Do you think us swindlers because we use showmanship ma’am? We’re merely trying to make an honest bit!”

“What seems to be the problem?” I ask assertively.

Twilight turns to me, “These two gentlemen are nothing but swindlers.”

Captain Sunshine Eartheart of Her Majesty Princess Celestia’s Royal Guards

“Is it a good festival?”

Celestia is lurking somewhere behind me, sitting on a sofa. I stand by the window watching the jubilations outside. “I suppose so. It’s nice to have a day off court.” She’s eating something. “Your soldiers look magnificent.”

“They’ll look better with real weapons. Did you enjoy your bath?”

“Immensely. Do you want some cake?”

I turn around, while such niceties aren’t something I’d usually indulge in, yet today I feel like accepting. “What kind?”

“Lemon Drizzle.”

“Please.” She floats over a small slice.

“I didn’t cut you a large one, didn’t think you’d appreciate it.”

“Delightful.” I pick at the cake slowly, while continuing to watch the celebrations.

“Sunshine I…” There is a knock on the door. I grin. “Enter!”

It’s a member of the Crystal Guard. “Your Majesty, Captain.” He nods to us both. “The Crystal Empire is under siege.”

I swallow my cake. “Under Siege?”

“Yes Sir. We have been attacked by changelings. I was only just able to get myself out in time to send you this message. By now they should have won.”

“Those bastards! With your Permission Your Majesty, I shall command the army and take them to The Empire. We’ll show those bastards what for!”

“Permission Granted. I know you have what it takes.”

“Follow me soldier, we shall see what those bastards have in stock.”

As I leave with the soldier, I look back to see Princess Celestia give me a smile. “Captain! I and the other Princesses will follow shortly. Any aid we can give, we will give.”

Author's Note:

And so, progress is being made. The army of Equestria is now in construction, rifle at hand ready to dish out some friendship. We are presented with a great exhibition of technologies that will shape the future of Equestria, and are hinting at some problems that may be faced further down the line. Equestria has all of this potential that it isn't quite reaching.

Of course somepony might have something to say about that, but he's going to refrain from commenting now. He's got a job to do and he's going to do it right.

Reading this one again, it feels very cinematic or at least very much like a television show. Generally I focus on longer scenes, and rarely have more than one instance of the same character within a chapter. But this time, Luna and Sparkling both have two spots each. Each detailing little things about the magical land of Equestria.

And so soon the final saga of the first act of Horse of Cards will be concluded. Tune in next week to find out what happens.

Hope you all enjoy

Midnight