• Published 13th Nov 2016
  • 850 Views, 120 Comments

Horse of Cards - Midnight Ice Cream



Imagine you are an officer in the Royal Guard. Your princess is far too miserable and tired to do her duty. Her laws are not enforced. Her kingdom is under constant risk of total annihilation. What would you do? This is what I did.

  • ...
8
 120
 850

Twenty Fourth Chapter

Twenty Fourth Chapter

Who is that Colt?

This chapter is set two weeks following

Diamond Tiara Head of Steel Departament of Rich Enterprises

Can’t I get a break from this heat? Shit. The smelters. The sun. Urgh. Right, prioritise Diamond, we’ve got a meeting today. When I reach Colt’s factory, he’s standing by the gates as always. Today he’s wearing a straw boater, and a white suit. “Good afternoon my dear Diamond. How are you today?”

"I’m pretty darn hot.”

“Then please, come inside.”

“Thank you.” I step inside the factory.

Instead of taking the route I took the first time I went, we walk straight to his office. “You know, I quite like this heat. Reminds me of home.”

“Yea, well.” I grumble. “I find it oppressive.”

Colt chuckles. “Lighten up Diamond. You run a steel factory, you’re gonna have to accept some form of heat.”

“I suppose.”

Colt sits down behind his desk, and gestures for me to take a seat. “Now before we begin, can I get you anything? Food, refreshments?”

“I’d like a doughnut, and not one of those pussy ones either. I want something that’ll give me diabetes. Oh, and a glass of lemonade, extra sugar, extra lemons.” Colt calls in his secretary and asks her for these things.

“And a glass of my usual lemonade. Make it light, thank you Bluebird.” She nods and leaves the room. “Alright, so what are you here for?”

“Well. We’re doing poorly.” I admit openly.

“That you are.”

“Even with more money, this is becoming an issue. I can’t with all honesty maintain our contract. Even buying iron at premium prices doesn’t work. They’re not at all concerned with profits. I can’t honestly charge you higher prices. It won’t give you any extra steel. It won’t give me any extra steel.”

Colt rubs his nose. “Thank you for your honesty.”

“I’ll be honest Colt, I don’t know what to do.”

“Neither do I Diamond.”

“At least I’ve been able to invest in the railway, but that’s going to take months. If not longer.”

Colt ponders for a moment. He stands up, so that he can look out of the window. “I absolutely hate to do this, but I may have to ask for help.”

“From who?”

“I’ve got contacts in Canterlot. That’s how I got this job. I’m going to send a letter bringing this whole affair up to Sunshine Earthheart.”

“But he’s a soldier.”

“I can tell you, he’s a lot more than that my dear.” Colt’s secretary comes in with the refreshments. “Thank you dear.” She nods and leaves. “Good gal.” He says after she closes the door. “Not talkative, but she works hard.”

“I’m not taking their money my business-”

“Diamond! How dare you suggest such a thing?!” Colt seems legitimately outraged. “I’d never demand money off anypony unless I was giving them something in return. However. There’s an obvious ‘friendship problem’ between us and Tree Hugger. There’s conflicting interests, and there’s complete incompetence. I’m only going to ask for some mediation.”

“Alright.”

“What? Don’t you trust it? Earthheart is a good pony. He respects independence. I’m sure he’d sympathise.”

“Let’s do it.” No looking back now. The decision is made, and I’m going to stick to it. “You send the letter. See if you can call a meeting between somepony in Canterlot and other steel bosses.” I take a big bite out of my doughnut. “Oh I needed that.”

“No.”

“What?”

“I’ll visit Canterlot myself. It adds urgency. I suggest you come along.”

I need to be at the mill! But. “I’ll go. But we can’t be long. My marefriend is good at managing things, but I need to be at the mill.”

“I understand, so do I. But this is essential for the survival of our business.”

I grab my glass of lemonade. “To survival Mr Colt.”

Colt smiles and raises his own glass. “To survival Miss Tiara.”

Marshall Sunshine Earthheart of The Royal Equestrian Army

I never thought that I’d get into gardening. I confess, there is something oddly satisfying about spending time tending a rosebush. It’s a relaxing hobby where the stress of the day, and its pressing boredom are replaced with pure tranquility and peace. Gosh, I am sounding soft, aren’t I? I’m old. Not as active as I was. I give myself fifteen years, perhaps longer, perhaps shorter. I’m simply not as fit as I was. Damn you Earthheart! You are a soldier, not a poofter. Do not let these niceties get the best of you! You can rest when you’re dead! You have a duty to Equestria. “Isn’t it funny, that I’d meet you at almost the same spot where we first met?” Colt’s accent is unmistakable. I turn around to see that Colt is standing beside rather large pink earth pony mare.

“Good afternoon Mr Colt.”

“And to you Marshall Earthheart.”

“And who are you ma’am?”

“This is Diamond Tiara, my associate. She runs a steel mill down in Baltimare.”

“A pleasure to meet you. I believe, I met your father once. A fine pony. So, to what do I owe the pleasure?”

Diamond Tiara speaks first. “I’ll be frank Marshall. We’re not in a good situation.”

“Who are you referring to?”

“I absolutely hate to bring this up to you, but we’re running into problems we can’t solve.” Colt seems rather awkward admitting this. “I’m not asking for charity. Just that.”

“There’s no reliable iron input.” Diamond finishes. “The only big mine in Equestria, is quite frankly terrible. They’re not producing anything. So poorly run is this mine, that it has crippled the steel industry of Equestria.”

“So why are you asking me to help?” I ask. “I’m only a humble soldier.”

Diamond Tiara punches the floor. “Oh cut the bullshit! We know you’re influential.”

I smile. “In Canterlot, but how am I meant to run an iron mine?”

“I understand. I just thought, you could bring the issue up to Celestia.” Says Colt, he sounds rather defeated. “All we’re asking for is some competence on their end.”

“Then why didn’t you go to her?”

“Oh come on, now. You know the answer to that.” Diamond seems impatient.

“Very well, I do have a free half hour. Let me just water my roses. Feel free to go to my office, have Sparkling bring you refreshments. I’ll join you shortly. I’d like a review of your situation.”

“Thank you kindly.”

“Not at all Mr Colt, Miss Tiara.” I nod to them.

Strange, that I’d rather take a moment with the rosebushes than to talk politics. I really am getting soft. I’d better just get this done quickly.

Five minutes later, I’m in my office. Diamond Tiara is chewing on a large doughnut, Colt is sipping on a glass of water. I take my seat. “Forgive me, I shouldn’t have kept you waiting for so long.”

“Don’t worry.” Says Colt. “I’m just glad somepony is willing to listen.”

“Not at all my dear Colt. Before we begin, I really must compliment your designs. They’re so very useful. I’ll show you some of the new drills if you’d like.”

“I’d like that very much.” He beams. “Well, I could talk all day about guns Earthheart. You know that.”

“And so could I.”

“Exactly, but on fear of boring young Diamond here to death, let’s not. Now, I believe you’re the one facing more issues than I am. So Diamond, why don’t you explain the situation?”

Diamond swallows some of her doughnut, and takes a swig of water. “Very well. Simply put, any industry involving iron is absolutely ruined at the moment. The largest mine in Equestria is a complete joke. It’s been run the past few years by a pony called Tree Hugger. The mare in charge previously wasn’t nice, but she got things done. Anyway Tree Hugger has almost shut down the mine, it’s barely producing anymore. Normally, that’d mean we have to charge higher prices for iron. Fair enough, shortages happen, the market deals with it. But I couldn’t even get that! I offer her premium prices, and she still refuses to sell me more than a tiny portion of what she’s producing. She wants to give everypony ‘fair play’. Alright, I thought. I’ll play it her game. I’ve invested in their railway, but that’s going to take years only to improve how quickly it’s transported. If you’re not producing anything, it doesn’t matter how quickly it arrives!” She’s visibly sweating, she looks boiling under her suit.

“I have to be frank Miss Tiara. That’s her business, I doubt what she’s doing is illegal. Terrible yes, but we could never force the government to tell a company what to do.”

“You bastards took that company away from the only pony competent enough to run it!” She yells.

“Calm down, shouting will not resolve anything here.” This pony is certainly not one to be trifled with. “I will discuss this issue with Princess Celestia. I can assure you, that it will be discussed by the council at some point, very shortly.” This crisis, it could prove very useful. “What are your plans?”

“What do you mean?” Colt asks.

“Forgive me, how long are you in Canterlot?”

“It depends, I would like to return to my factory. I’d perhaps like to spend two, maybe three days here.”

Diamond agrees with that. “Very well.” I say. “I will discuss this issue later with Princess Celestia. Is there anything else you two would like addressed?”

“I’m not even asking for you to get Tree Hugger to up her game. What I am asking for is permission to build a new mine. Or just whatever will help us.”

I smile. “Very good.”

Sparkling Soda Assistant to Marshall Earthheart

As much as I love Earthheart, he can be a real dick sometimes. Apparently I have to take this obnoxious tub of entitled lard around Canterlot. Ah well, at least she never wastes words. “So what is there to do in this city?” She asks, we’ve just finished our tour of the castle. She seemed somewhat interested in some of it, coveting some of the expensive furniture at times.

“Aside from power politics, what are you interested in?”

She takes that question seriously for a moment. “I guess I like eating out.” Course she would. “But I guess it’s too early. Do you ponies do boxing here? I don’t often get time off, but I like to watch boxing matches.” That actually surprises me.

“I’m not sure to be honest.”

“You ponies really are pussies, with all your fancy flying and magic tricks.”

I shrug. “Unicorns I suppose.”

Diamond seems unimpressed with my explanation. “I’ve seen pegasi and unicorns fight well.”

Annoyed with this subject I ask abruptly. “Do you like alcohol Diamond?” This might work, I can entertain her, and if I’m lucky, she’ll be funny as well.

“Now you’re talking.”

“Well, I’m not called Sparkling Soda for nothing.”

*****

Diamond Tiara is not a happy drunk. “I’ll show him!” She’s shouting about her father. “He said I couldn’t make it in this business!” she slams the table with her glass. “I’m going to make it work! Another drink!”

“Are you sure?” She stares at me with deadly eyes.

“Did I hesitate?” I pour her a glass. “Thanks.” She drinks it quickly. “Do you think I can do it?”

“We’ll see.” I don’t like to commit. “It depends on how talks go with The Princesses.”

“It’s not fair. Everything's just decided by them! They don’t know the industry! They don’t know what ponies do. What gives them the right?! I get it, they all mean well, and fair enough make sure that ponies are safe. But this? This is bullshit!”

She has a point, she really does. “Things are getting better. Before it all used to be based on friendship lessons and Celestia’s mood. Now they’re actually trying to make things fair, they might get something good for you. You never know.”

“And that’s what I hate. It’s not down to me. I don’t get succeed at this on my own. They need to give me permission to do my job.” She rubs her eyes. “I wish Silver was here. Where is my hotel? Take me to my hotel. I need to sleep.”

Author's Note:

So here we are again, Canterlot has finally discovered that a world exists outside of its walls. Things are developing. How will it develop? well it probably will, time does pass and things do get done in the fictional lands of Canterlot even if they are done slowly.

I quite enjoyed this chapter, but it really hammers home, more and more how friendship and being nice don't necessarily mean good government. It's a strong belief I hold, I was also thinking about it, considering the events of the day in our world, and wondered if passion was also dangerous.

It would not be proper of me to divulge my political ideology here, and it is to be noted that what I say about Equestria is what I'd probably suggest for Equestria, yet that isn't necessarily my philosophy for the United Kingdom, and as for the rest of the world, I tend not to care about domestic policy and if I do, it's hardly at the forefront of my mind. Anyway aside from that, I was wondering today if people who care too much about politics are a problem. My logic is that passionate people are likely to come up with drastic answers and demonise their opponents, this often achieves very little. I do not wish to get too political here, but if people have followed the election in the US, or the "cultural war" there are strong similarities between both sides, and yet instead of working on the common ground they find the differences and attack endlessly, because these people truly do care about the ideology behind their opponent, they see it as evil and wish to stop it. Eventually this simply puts the person into war mode where their side can do no wrong and the other side is the hated enemy. Given more apathy we could probably work with what we're given and try to improve on a broader sense what's going on. However one must still care enough as not to go into destructive nihilism.

I'm not sure how coherent I'm being at all, but an example would be communists and nazis. I've spent time talking to both and honestly I find the two to be very hard to tell apart, nazis are simply more racist, yet both are strange cults of genocide. But what is strange is how both sides claim to be complete opposites based on their few differences. What's more is that when you brand something from one side, North Korea being an ethnonationalist probably closer to National Socialist state than a truly Socialist state, the communists will defend it because of their red star, and the Nazis will hate it. Ohhh I don't know, it's all farcical, it's all passionate and it's all nonsense. What is needed is slight apathy, slight duty and an incentive to do a reasonable job.

Eartheart of course has no serious political dogma, as long as it works he'll be happy with it. Perhaps that will show in the coming chapters. Perhaps not. But someone like Earthheart is not a passionate democrat, nor is he a royalist necessarily, yet he'd hate the idea of a republic, if something should be privately run or nationalised could be decided on a whim. And moral decisions are there to reflect the character of the nation more than anything. The point is, can we all simply get along with government and not be such idealists about the whole thing? It really is frightfully painful.