• Published 13th Feb 2015
  • 1,438 Views, 65 Comments

Our Darkest Days - Bluecatcinema



Sunset Shimmer and Echo Alchemy embark on a thrilling adventure together.

  • ...
5
 65
 1,438

A New Dawn

Sunset woke up in the apartment she now shared with Echo. Echo was still snoozing, his wings draped over her. Deciding to let her beau sleep, Sunset gently slipped out of his grasp, walked into the living room, and began writing a letter.

'Dear Princess Celestia,

I'm sorry I haven't written to you in a while. Things have been pretty busy at the Crystal Empire lately. It's been six months since all the craziness with Synchro and King Sombra's spell book, but it still seems like it all happened yesterday. I don't think I'll ever forget those terrible moments when it looked like Synchro was going to win, or when it looked like I had lost Echo forever.

But, despite all the trials and terror, we made it through. Echo and I were reunited, and life for both of us has become far better. For starters, Echo's social standing in the Empire has greatly improved. Gone are the days where they would say malicious things about him, or give him those cold glares. Echo attributed this to the fact that he no longer had that 'beast' in him. But I knew better. Him defending the empire had changed most ponies' opinions of him… Of course, I said 'most', as not every citizen of the Empire has quite accepted him…'

Barely a week after being released from the hospital, Echo was walking though the marketplace, having run out for groceries. It was honestly his first time doing so since he had the Berserker spell within him, not wanting to draw ire with anypony who had despised him (and not risk setting off his beast form). Now that ponies had started to take a shine to him, Echo felt that now was a better time than any to re-integrate himself with society.

"I'll have some amethyst apples, my good stallion." He approached a nearby grocer.

The grocer complied, placing the apples in a bag.

"Thank you kindly." Echo reached for his wallet.

"They're on the house." The grocer smiled. "It's the least I can do after you saved us all from that lunatic in the coat."

"Oh... you're welcome." Echo said awkwardly, the memory of Synchro still a sore spot for him. "But you really don't have to. I'm happy to pay..."

"I won't hear of it." The grocer declared. "From now on, you eat free here. It's my way of saying 'thanks'."

"What are you thanking him for?" Another stallion asked. "It was probably because of him that the Empire was in danger in the first place. Have you forgotten how he turned into that monster and hospitalized those guards?"

"Seriously?" A mare running a fruit stand snorted. "He saved the entire Empire, and all of Equestria. Does that sound like something a 'monster' would do?"

"What if that's just what he wants us to think?" The stallion suggested. "What if he's just stringing us along, waiting for the right moment to pounce? I heard he can now do what that guy in the coat did with those crystals! For all we know, he will finish what he started!"

"I don't believe that." The grocer declared. "Echo Alchemy is a hero, end of story."

"Please, don't fight." Echo tried to calm them. "I'm not a monster or a hero. I'm just a pony, like you."

"And modest, too." The mare said admiringly.

"Pah!" The stallion walked away. "We'll see..."

'Of course, Echo has endured far worse in his time. Worse as in being betrayed by somepony he thought was his friend. I cannot begin to describe how mortified I was when Echo told me the truth about Sterling, and the plan he had for our foal. It was like the Sterling we had come to know... the Sterling that I kissed on the shores of Fetland... was gone, replaced by this calculating, professional mad scientist. Ever since his betrayal, Prince Armor had been trying to get him to talk about the 'organization' that he mentioned to Echo before he... he tried to kill Echo. However, Sterling practically clam up afterwards, refusing to talk to anypony... except a certain few...

A month after his imprisonment, Sterling was returned to his cell after another fruitless interrogation. This was what his life was reduced to after that fateful day in the hospital; Locked up in a cold dark cell, forced to eat disgusting prison food, and periodically taken to his former comrades in the Crystal Guard, who didn't hide their disgust at his betrayal during the interrogations. Sterling let out a sigh as he sat on his prison bed... but then, he glanced out the cell, to see a peeved Silas across from him.

"Oh, hello, Silas." He said flatly.

"Hello... Flatfoot." Silas growled.

"Please, just Sterling would do." Sterling declared.

"As far as I'm concerned, you are scum!" Silas roared. "You and your stupid lap dog ruined everything for me! I worked long and hard to put my Order back together after that blasted Thestral ruined everything all those years ago, and I was so close to achieving my goal once again, but then, lo and behold, another Thestral comes along and bucks it up!"

"My apologies." Sterling told him. "I had no idea that Synchro would act-"

"Cut the bull-crud, Sterling!" Silas snarled. "I know you! You always have a reason for every move you make. You damn well knew that your attack dog would double-cross me and ruin my plan! And I know for a fact that you had something to do with those blasted guards being there just as Echo transformed! I wouldn't be surprised if you were the one who called them there!"

Sterling smirked.

"Okay... the truth then..." He got up and wrapped his hooves around the bars. "Your plan was destined to fail."

"What?!" Silas spat. "Of course it would fail, you ruined it!"

"No. Whether I interfered or not would have never changed a thing." Sterling clarified. "Your plan was flawed, riddled with holes, too far-off the ground, and honestly, it's unoriginal."

"I-it is not unoriginal!" Silas stammered.

"Come on, using dark magic to bring darkness upon Equestria? Does the name Nightmare Moon, Sombra, and Black Knight bring anything to mind?" Sterling sneered.

"Screw you!" Silas yelled. "At least my plan wasn't some convoluted scheme focused on a freak of a Thestral mounting a bucking mare and conceiving some Faust-damn hybrid brat!"

"Well, at least my plan actually worked!" Sterling shot back. "In ten months time, Sunset will give birth to a healthy foal, and he or she will be able to use dark magic, just like his or her father. My plan, unlike yours, was nothing extravagant. I knew exactly what I was aiming for, and I knew the means to attain it, and took into account for anything that could wrong."

"Oh yes, because that worked out so great for you in the end... but it's too bad you will be unable to mold that foal into a supersoldier from in here." Silas mocked him. "Because no matter how well your plan worked out, you are now trapped in here, just like me! Which I am, thanks to you!"

"Hey, consider yourself grateful!" Sterling snarled. "Even the organization found your plan stupid! They wanted you to crash and burn with it. Had I and Synchro not intervened, you would had easily gotten the death penalty for attempted takeover of Equestria. I saved you the embarrassment from failing and from certain death!"

"And I am so grateful." Silas sneered sarcastically. "Because now, I am stuck in here for life! Death would surely be far greater than suffering in my own indignity!"

"Oh, quit your blubbering." Sterling huffed. "I'm sure in time, once things had cooled down, the organization will come for us. I doubt they would let an 'elite' rot in prison."

"Oh, you think you're all that, because you're the 'Father's' favorite, that you are above me?!" Silas proclaimed. "Might I remind you that you are not much higher on the food chain then me?!"

"And might I remind you that the only reason you are a part of this organization is because you wouldn't give the location of Echo and Synchro unless we funded your plans." Sterling countered. "Aside that, you are no better off than Brody. At least with him, the higher members enjoy his blunders!"

"How dare you!" Silas yelled. "I will not be talked down to by some... two-bit charlatan!"

"I'd rather be a charlatan than an over-reaching buffoon!" Sterling shot back. "You're nothing, Silas. Always have been, always will be!"

"Would you shut the flap up?!"

The two glanced at the cell that was between them, as a fuming Lunard Cloudskipper (recently transferred from Alfalfatraz) was glaring at both of them.

"This Griffon is trying to sleep!" He yelled. "And to be honest, you're both flapping morons! Dark magic, please, what a bunch of horse-crap!"

"Oh, please..." Silas sneered. "As if an uneducated brute like you could ever understand what we're trying to accomplish!"

"On that much, we agree." Sterling nodded. "Butt out, feathers. Don't worry your tiny mind about things above your station."

"Come out here, and I'll give your minds something to worry about!" Lunard yelled.

"Quiet, all of you!" A guard yelled, as Echo entered the dungeon. "Cross, you've got a visitor!"

Echo entered the dungeon, his face impassive.

"Ah, Echo." Sterling smiled. "Nice of you to visit. Not to mention unexpected."

"Spare me the false pleasantries, Sterling." Echo glared. "I am not here to listen you pretend to act like you are my friend. That bridge had long since burned."

"Then why are you here?" Sterling asked, his mood dampening, his face actually registering... hurt, "You can tell me. I'm still Sterling. you know. The same Sterling who had your back during all that mess. The same Sterling who saved your life more than once. The same Sterling who helped you and Sunset get together... Tell me why."

"Because I want to understand." Echo sighed. "Why would you do this?"

"You know why." Sterling frowned, "To bring about-"

"The new age of Equestrian warfare, I know." Echo frowned. "...But, even after becoming my friend... why would you still choose to use me like that? And then try to dispose of me like garbage? And what kind of friend would try to use my own child like you did me?"

"I'll admit, not a good one..." Sterling sighed. "But I did what I had to do, Echo. I had an opportunity to revolutionize our military. Because we can't always rely on the 'Elements of Harmony' or stand up guys like our Prince Paladin to fight battles for our country. I did what I was ordered to do as by my superiors. I'm sorry if you think I'm some kind of monster, but you have to believe I never meant to hurt you."

"I believe you." Echo said sternly. "I believe you believe that. But I don't believe it." He then glanced closely at Sterling, with his eyes growing a bit misty. "Because if you never meant to hurt me, then you wouldn't had tried to kill me. If you had just told me your plans and decided to have a change of heart at the last moment, I might have gotten past it... but in the end, you chose this... 'organization'... over me and the mare you swore to have loved. I trusted you, Sterling. Despite our shaky beginnings, I actually grew to see you as a friend. A pony of whom I could trust my life with... a pony whom I could trust Sunset with... but now..."

"Echo... please..." Sterling murmured, "You two... you two are both important to me. Sunset... there'll always be a special place in my heart for her, even if she's meant to be with you. You and her are the best friends I've ever had. But you've got to understand... the ponies I work for... they've done for me what no pony else could ever have done in a lifetime. I couldn't simply say no to them because I'd grown attached to you and Sunset."

"Really? If me and Sunset are so 'important' to you, then why don't you tell us whom you are working for?" Echo asked sternly, but with a hint of concern. "Sterling, if they are threatening you, or holding something over your head, we can help you, maybe even cut a deal..."

"I'm sorry, Echo, but I can't do that." Sterling shook his head.

"Oh, and why is that?" Echo glared, "Honestly, at this point, you have nothing to lose. You are stuck in a nine by five cell. You've lost your position as a guard. You've lost your own friends. All because of your allegiance to this 'organisation'. Don't you think you should reconsider?"

"Even after all this time, Echo, you are still so naïve." Sterling growled. "These ponies I work for, Echo... I don't say diddly-squawk, because they will kill anypony that even knows their name. I keep my mouth shut not out of defiance, but for everypony's safety. I do not want any more ponies getting killed because they stuck their snouts where they don't belong. If I told you, you and Sunset's lives would be over. Because I've seen what 'they' can do, and what 'they' are willing to do, and I cannot in good conscience allow that to happen to the both of you. Because like it or not, that's what a good friend does."

"...Just who are you fooling, Sterling?" Echo sighed in frustration. "The only reason you ever took an interest in me was because of a little gene. And the fact that you would use a foal as a figurehead for a line of supersoldiers at your hooftips just proves that you see ponies like me as nothing more than live weapons of mass destruction."

"No... no, that is not true." Sterling glared, "You think I don't want what you want, to redeem dark magic? Well I do, but you gotta understand that we must make sacrifices to get what we want."

"You mean like Synchro?" Echo muttered. "You willingly sacrificed a pony who turned to you for guidance, and used him as a means to an end..." Sterling began to notice tears coming from his eyes. "Synchro was the only family I had left... and because of you, I had to put him down like a mad dog. How is it a sacrifice to you when it was me who had to make it? Explain that to me."

"Echo..." Sterling frowned, Echo's tearful gaze making him uncomfortable, as he tried to look away. "I... I... I'm sorry... it was never my intent to have Synchro killed. But there was simply no way for the plan to work in a way where both of you would survive, and not have everything go to crap. I know what I did is beyond forgivable, but I was doing what I believe is right."

"...You keep telling youself that." Echo muttered coldly, taking his glasses off to wipe his eyes. "...You wanna know the most ironic thing? It is because of you that I finally have a family of my own, and while I am grateful for that... I can never forgive you for what you did... I shouldn't have even come down here..." He then turned to leave. "I hope you enjoy this life you created for yourself..."

With that, Echo left the ex-Guardspony by his lonesome. Sterling glanced after him, not sure what to say, except for this:

"...Tell Sunset I said 'hi'..." Sterling called after him, though his voice seem weak and obviously impossible to hear, despite Echo's good hearing.

"That's some company you keep." Lunard sneered.

"What do you expect, with such a winning personality?" Silas taunted.

"Just don't..." Sterling muttered, no longer in a mood to argue.

"Why not? Don't you see, Sterling? You are just like me." Silas snarked. "This is what our organization does. We use ponies, for they are nothing more than tools to achieve our dreams. The reason you are in here with me is because you tried so hard to believe that worthless spineless Thestral was anything more than a piece in your 'little game'."

"Shut up." Sterling glared. "I am nothing like you."

"Then why are you here then, hmm?" Silas smirked.

"Because I belong here." Sterling admitted, actual hurt over Echo's words and the end results of his actions in his voice. "Locked up in a dungeon, with filth like you..."

"Watch it, pal!" Lunard growled.

"No matter what good intentions I had, betraying a friend's trust is unforgiveable..." Sterling lay down on his bed, his head in his hooves.

As Echo left the dungeon, feeling lower than low. He thought talking with Sterling might make him feel better about his betrayal, but it only made him feel worse. As he walked up the stairs, he crossed paths with Shining.

"Echo..." Shining stated. "Any luck?"

"No...Sterling still won't talk." Echo murmured.

"I see..." Shining frowned. "To be honest, I didn't really expect him to talk to you. You shouldn't even bother with that traitor."

"I know." Echo sighed. "He lied, manipulated, and betrayed us all, but... I really thought he was my friend... One of only a few I've ever had..."

"Don't blame yourself." Shining told him. "There's no way you could've known. Sterling had us all fooled."

"That he did." Echo nodded. "Did the interrogation yield any results?"

"Not much." Shining admitted. "Cross wouldn't tell us a thing. Neither did Necross. But we did happen to find these when we were frisking them..." Shining produced two pendants with an odd emblem; two Fs connected by the bottom facing opposite directions, with a black bird in the background. "Does this image ring a bell?"

"I'm afraid not." Echo shook his head. "I've never seen it before."

"Nopony has." Shining admitted. "We've had all our experts looking for any record of it, with no luck."

"Hmm..." Echo took the two pendants into his hooves, glancing at them both, "Well, if anything, I think it might have connection to this 'organization' that Sterling works for. But they must be like ghosts, for nopony to have heard of them before."

"Yeah..." Shining let out a sigh. "I plan to contact the ponies over in Royal Defense Legion, see if they might have any idea about this."

"Let's hope so." Echo declared. "I shudder to think what other heinous plans those fiends may be concocting..."

"Well, it's best to not worry about it now." Shining noted. "By the way, can you swing down by the throne room tomorrow afternoon? I have some... business I'd like to discuss with you."

"Business?" Echo asked. "What kind of business?"

"I can't tell you much right now, but I think you'll find it interesting." Shining said cryptically. "What do you say?"

"I'll be there." Echo nodded. "If only because you've piqued my curiosity."

"Terrific." Shining grinned, as he walked away. "Trust me, you won't regret it."

'It was hard to believe Shining Armor was the same stallion, considering how drastically his opinion of Echo of changed. But I would never have guessed just how far he had come...'

The next afternoon, Echo entered the throne room. Both Shining and Cadance were there.

"You wanted to see me, your highness?" Echo asked.

"Yes." Shining nodded. "I've been working on a new project. One where I think your talents will be most appreciated."

"I don't follow, your highness." Echo admitted.

"Well, I was examining the notes you showed me a while back, and I had decided to put together a new task force of Crystal Guards." Shining announced, "One that will be trained in using dark magic as a form of defense. I was rather intrigued by the amount of spells that could be used in such manner: a smoke spell, for example, could be used as an excellent security measure. And a spell that could drain magic would come in useful in dealing with antagonistic Unicorns. And that crystal magic you recently 'acquired' has quite a few benign applications of its own. With that in mind, I cannot think of anypony but you to head the force."

"Me?!" Echo gaped. "But how could you find anypony to join such a force? Those ponies in Hoofistan... they died because of dark magic."

"Which is why some volunteered for this force." Shining explained. "They want to be able to combat dark magic and they feel the only way to do so is to fight fire with fire. And I agree with them."

"But do you really think that I am up to such a task?" Echo murmured.

"Of course." Shining nodded. "You've always said that dark magic can be used for good, and now you have a chance to prove it."

"I... I don't know what to say..." Echo muttered. "It's an honor, truly..."

"It's the least I can do after the way I treated you for all those months." Shining declared. "You were right. Whether dark magic is used for good or bad depends on the pony. And with your help, we'll show all of Equestria that truth. What do you say?"

"Say 'yes'." Cadance grinned. "He'll just keep badgering you otherwise."

"...Yes, I will." Echo nodded. "I'll do my best to make you proud."

"I know you will." Shining smiled.

Later that evening, Echo told Sunset the news.

"That's incredible, Echo!" Sunset hugged him. "Congratulations!"

"Thank you, Sunset." Echo smiled. "...But you know, with all this talk of dark magic lately, it got me thinking about what Sterling said about Nightcrawlers and the Tenebros gene..." He glanced out a nearby window, "What if there really are others out there, like my brother and me? What if my father is still out there? Maybe... just maybe, I should try and find some way to seek them out. Help them come to grips with their powers and let them know that they are not alone. Anything to keep them from experiencing the same fate as me and…Synchro."

"I believe that is a noble idea, Echo." Sunset nodded. "But aren't you already a little overworked? There's your research, your new job training the new task force... And of course, our 'private time'..." She purred.

"Oh, I haven't forgotten that." Echo grinned, embracing her. "I suppose I could put some of my research aside for the time being..."

"Now you're talking..." Sunset kissed him.

The two cuddled together, ready for a night of romance.

A few days later, in a bar in Manehattan, business was going as usual. Ponies, Buffalo, Griffons, and more were enjoying their libations and chatting amongst themselves when a radio broadcast caught their attention.

"...Prince Shining Armor has begun to form a new branch of the Crystal Guard division, presumably in response to a recent attack by an unknown terrorist who wielded a high intensity of dark magic. The division itself has revealed that as part of the training regiment, they will be trained in using dark magic themselves. It was also said that the division will be headed by an Echo Alchemy, a dark magic researcher who was charged and pardoned for mass kidnapping in Canterlot nearly a year ago, and recently had been the one to had thwart the terrorist's plot a month ago. Controversy began to stir up in the Empire and the capital city of Canterlot, as many decry the formation of such a division. Here are some statements from ponies from around Equestria."

"It's an outrage!" The voice of Jet Set rang out. "That monster kidnapped my wife and I, and now they're putting him in charge of a military force?"

"The Prince should have put him behind bars, where he belongs." Upper Crust added.

"I get where the Prince is coming from." Spitfire's voice remarked. "But still... dark magic's a little unsavoury for my tastes... I just hope this Alchemy guy knows what he's doing."

"Our son is dead because of that terrorist!" Hans Hubris spat. "Dark magic ruined our family, and now they think it can be used for good? I don't think so!"

"Royal Guards? Using dark magic?" A random old, moustached stallion snorted. "Gimme a break..."

"However, many more ponies began to actively support this decision made by the Prince. They seem to think Shining Armor has a valid point. Here are words from some of them now:"

"As a former member of Princess Luna's Guard, I know dark things can get." The Thestral Nightwing declared. "Times have changed, and sometimes it takes darkness to fight darkness. I say good luck to them."

"It sounds perfectly logical to me." Lars remarked. "At the very least, it should even the playing field..."

"I have faith in the Prince's decision." Fancypants said firmly. "If he believes this will lead to a safer Equestria, who are we to argue?"

"Oh, yeah!" Caboose chuckled. "I agree! Totally! ...Wait, what are we talking about?"

"We tried to get statements from the royals in Canterlot and Ponyville, but none of them were available for commenting. No further information has been released regarding this task force, except that the head had decided to give the name 'Project Synchro' to the team. Whether you think it's a good or bad idea, you cannot argue with the boldness of the Prince's decision. What will they be thinking of next? Turning to sports..."

"Can you believe that?" One of the pony patrons snorted. "Dark magic being used for good. Please. It's even got the word 'dark' in the name!"

"I dunno." The bartender shrugged. "I met the Prince once, back when he was captain of Canterlot's Royal Guard. Seemed like a pretty sharp stallion. If he thinks it'll work, that's good enough for me."

"Ah, you've gone soft in the head, Tapper." A Buffalo sneered.

"Hey, I don't care about any of that stuff." A Griffon admitted. "Just so long as they keep it away from me..."

"Amen." The pony finished his drink. "Yo, Tapper, same again!"

Sitting at the end of the bar, a familiar sunglasses-wearing Thestral only smiled as he heard the news...

"Well done, Echo..." He whispered proudly. "I always knew you'd achieve great things... son..."

'Though things were going well for us, we took care not to forget those who had fallen to Sterling's machinations. Echo personally wrote letters of condolences to the families of the page guardians who had perished, along with what little money we could scrounge together to cover their funeral costs. After what those poor souls had been through, it seemed like far too little...'

In the Crystal Empire's post office, Echo posted off the last letter, addressed to Lethargy's parents.

"Such a pity..." Echo sighed. "If Sterling hadn't used them as pawns in his game, perhaps things would have turned out differently for them..."

"I'd like to think so." Sunset admitted. "Everypony deserves a second chance at life."

"So true." Echo nodded. "And thanks to Sterling, they never had that chance..."

'But, despite all the heartache, life goes on. And speaking of life, our foal is coming along nicely. Both he and I grow a little more every day. Oh, yes, we found out that our foal was going to be a colt, as Echo was insistent on knowing everything about our foal. His size, whenever he kicked. He's spent most of these last few months buying cribs, bottles, clothes, toys... I never managed he'd be so excited about being a father. As for me, I'm think I'm handling the pregnancy quite well (the occasional mood swing not withstanding). I'm getting bigger every day, and it makes me so proud and happy. A lesser stallion might be put off by my increased size, but not Echo. The bigger I get, the more he seems to adore me. Which of course, leads up to my best piece of news, one I've been saving for last. Last Saturday, Echo and I were out on a picnic in the park...'

Echo and the six-month pregnant Sunset were lying on a blanket, enjoying their food. Sunset's pregnancy had given her an odd craving for blood orange and prune smoothies, and she was currently finishing her fifth one that day. Echo seemed a tad subdued, even nervous.

"Ah, what a beautiful day." Sunset sighed. "For a while back there, I was worried we'd never see days like this again."

"Yes, things were looking bad for a while there..." Echo muttered.

"But we made it through in the end, didn't we?" Sunset smiled.

"We certainly did..." Echo agreed half-heartedly.

"Echo, is there something wrong?" Sunset asked. "It looks like your head is kind of... elsewhere."

"For good reason." Echo took a deep breath. "Sunset, I... I..."

"Yes?" Sunset prompted.

"You... knowing you has..." Echo fumbled, reaching for something in the picnic basket."I-I've never known a pony like you before... n-never felt this way about a mare before... and, well, I w-would like to... that is to say..."

"Pardon?" Sunset frowned.

"S-sorry..." Echo stuttered. "It's just... hard to get the words out..." He pulled something out of the basket, hiding it in his hoof. "I-I would be most honored... I mean, nothing would make me happier... Oh, curse it all!"

"Echo, calm down." Sunset urged.

"I'm sorry." Echo sighed. "I really want to ask you something, but my blasted mouth just can't get the words out!"

"Hmm, would the thing you want me to ask involve you wanting to marry me?" Sunset said slyly.

"H-how did you guess?" Echo gasped in shock, as a small velvet box dropped out of his hoof.

"Call it a hunch." Sunset smiled, as she opened the box, revealing a topaz horn ring. "Oh, it's beautiful, Echo."

"S-so, what is y-your answer?" Echo stuttered. "W-will you..."

"Yes." Sunset kissed him. "Of course I'll marry you."

"Thank you so much, Sunset!" Echo kissed her back. "You've made me the happiest stallion in the world!"

"Well, you've already made me the happiest mare in the world, so I guess that makes us even." Sunset chuckled.

Echo took the ring out of the box and placed it on Sunset's horn. The two then kissed again, far more passionately than before.

'I told you I was saving the best for last, didn't I? After all these years, I've finally found my soul mate. Echo and I plan to marry before the foal comes. We haven't set a date yet, but it should be soon. I hope you can find the time to attend. It wouldn't feel right to marry Echo without the Princess who helped me meet him in the first place. I hope to hear from you soon.

Your friend,

Sunset Shimmer'

After finishing her letter, Sunset went down to the mailbox on the corner and posted it. As she returned home, she reflected on how much things had changed for her, and how she had never felt happier.

Echo was awake by the time she got back.

"Good morning." He kissed her.

"Great morning." Sunset beamed. "With a wonderful stallion like you, how could it be anything less?"

"So true." Echo rubbed Sunset's bulging stomach. "And how is our little foal today?"

"Doing great." Sunset grinned, as the foal kicked.

"I can tell." Echo smiled. "We've got a real scrapper on our hooves."

"He's tough, just like his dad." Sunset beamed.

"Hopefully, he'll inherit some of his mother's spirit." Echo declared. "Your fortitude always impressed me, my love."

"And your kindness always impressed me." Sunset nuzzled against him.

After breakfast, Echo headed off to work.

"Take care, you two." He hugged Sunset and gave her a kiss. "Wouldn't want anything to happen to either of you."

"You won't get rid of us that easily." Sunset chuckled.

"I should hope not." Echo remarked, as he used his newfound crystal powers to pluck a ruby rose from the window box, and gave it to his fiancée. "I've finally found a family, after all these years. And I have no intention of letting go now..."

Sunset watched as her fiancé went off to work, ready to prove to the world that dark magic had a place in it. Not so long ago, she had felt so out of place in Equestria, having been gone from her world for so long. But now, she knew she was where she was meant to be, and so was Echo. It was a long and harrowing road, filled with shocks, lies, and betrayals, but in the end, it brought them, two lonely souls, together in a love that was both strong and beautiful. She sniffed the ruby rose, happy and content. Together, she and Echo had come out of the darkest days, and emerged into a new dawn, with all kinds of possibilities on the horizon.

The End.

Comments ( 5 )

Nice ending dude, now i wonder what story is going to be next

maybe a chageling history?

Sunglasses thestral is his father?!? How did he get away from angry step-dad?

I'm hoping to see some sort of sequel to this. I myself wonder what this order that pulls all the strings are about

Gosh, I'm still all the way back here ;-; So many awesome stories I need to read one day once I catch up with the show.

Login or register to comment