• Published 13th Feb 2015
  • 1,439 Views, 65 Comments

Our Darkest Days - Bluecatcinema



Sunset Shimmer and Echo Alchemy embark on a thrilling adventure together.

  • ...
5
 65
 1,439

Savages

Shining and his guards dragged the unconscious Echo outside the warehouse, Sunset following behind.

"Stop this!" Sunset yelled.

"Back away, Ms Shimmer." Shining growled. "You should count yourself lucky that you're not being dragged away too."

As Sunset made to retort, she saw Sterling nearby, a bandage on his head.

"Sterling?" She frowned. "What are you doing here?"

"They picked me up at the hotel." Sterling declared.

"But how did they know-?" Sunset started.

"I'd advise you to stand still." Shining declared, as he pulled an odd crystal out of his armor. "This could get a little rough."

"What could-" Sunset started to ask.

Shining touched the crystal to his horn, which started to glow brightly. There was a blinding flash, and suddenly, Sunset found herself standing in the Crystal Palace's throne room. For a moment, Sunset look around, surprised. She quickly gathered her wits.

"So that's how you got to Prance so fast." She realized.

"Shining!" Cadance rushed over, embracing her husband. "You're okay!"

"Of course I am." Shining smiled. "Guards, escort Alchemy to the dungeon."

The guards made to follow the order, but Sunset stepped in front of them.

"No! You can't just lock Echo away!" Sunset roared.

"I can and I will." Shining declared.

"But our mission-" Sunset started.

"Is over." Shining interrupted. "And now Echo has to face the consequences. He went and violated his probations, after I explicitly put him under house arrest!"

"But he only did that just so he could stop Synchro, you know, the pony who stole the book and went after those pages!" Sunset snarled.

"And how did that turn out?" Shining mocked. "You ended up giving up your five pages, and now a precinct of cops, a downtrodden gardener, a doctor, a ex-Pony Corps member, an archaeologist, a son of two ambassadors (who are really upset, by the way), and some rich guy are dead, no thanks to Echo or that masked pony!"

"That's not fair!" Sunset barked. "They were all off the deep end before we got to them, and their deaths were not our fault!"

"That may be so, but it proves my point that dark magic is nothing but a curse upon anypony who uses it!" Shining declared. "I knew it for the longest time, but did Celestia listen? No! Did Shine listen, especially when it was his uncle that went mad with dark magic and almost took over Equestria? No! Did the others like Sleight, Blueblood, or Luna listened?" He stomps his hoof. "NO! They all kept on thinking that there might be some sort of use for this stuff! And so they let Echo resume his studies, forgetting how he practically kidnapped half of Canterlot as that horrid beast! And how did he came to be that horrid beast?! Because of dark magic!"

"Will you just get over yourself?!" Sunset growled. "That happened a long time ago! And for your information, Echo only became that beast because he was trying to stop the Order form using dark magic for evil! Like he did now!"

"And that just brings us full circle!" Shining glared. "Echo tries to do good by dark magic, only to somehow get involved with this 'Order', who ended up using it for evil. Echo tries to stop them, only for him to do evil with dark magic. And now, there's another pony out there that's going to use dark magic for evil, and like it or not, Echo had a part in it."

"What is with you about Echo?!" Sunset demanded. "You always had it out for him! Echo had nothing but good intentions the whole time! He-"

"That's bullcrud!" Shining spat. "If he had 'good intentions', then he wouldn't had been messing with dark magic in the first place! But no, he let his own selfish greed for knowledge get the better of him, just like Sombra did!"

"No, don't you even go there!" Sunset snarled. "Echo is nothing like Sombra!"

"Oh, really? 'Cause now, because of him, I have to tell a couple of families why their husbands are never coming home." Shining growled. "Echo is a fool. A reckless, naïve fool that is a danger to Equestria, danger to this Empire, danger to everypony in this room, and a danger to himself!"

Sunset stood there, appalled by his words.

"...Why do you hate him so much?" Sunset growled. "I demand to know! Because this obviously goes far beyond Echo! Let's get it all out there! Tell me why do you hate Echo so much! Why?"

"You want to know why?!" Shining spat. "I tell you why... over twenty years ago, I was powerless to do anything when a certain Changeling took the form of my wife and messed with my head to the point of helplessness. Canterlot nearly fell because of my uselessness that day. Shortly after that, I was again powerless when Sombra disabled my magic and nearly took over the Empire again. And not long after that, when Discord and Tirek went on that rampage, I was powerless to stop them! And if that wasn't enough, just this last year, I was unable to defend my kingdom against Black Knight Paladin. Four times I had failed to fulfill my duty to protect everything I loved, because I was powerless to do anything!"

"So, this isn't about Echo, this is about your stupid pride!" Sunset snarled. "And trust me, I got enough of that from Hubris back in Aerovis!"

"THIS GOES FAR BEYOND PRIDE, SUNSET!" Shining roared. "You would never understand what it's like, to have almost lost everything you love, be they your kingdom or your family, because of ponies like Echo, like Sombra, like Black Knight, and not being able to do a thing to stop them. It's... awful, the feeling's just awful..."

"Shining..." Cadance whispered. "I never knew you felt so strongly about all that..."

"That is why... that is why I am not going to just twiddle my hooves while I let Echo threaten the things I care about once more!" Shining declared. "As far as I'm concerned, he's a threat, just like Synchro, and I am going to see to it that he and his work won't do any more harm!"

"Meaning what?" Sunset glared.

"Meaning I'm going to have all his research on dark magic destroyed." Shining said coldly, "And once this whole mess with that masked pony ends, I will have those artifacts, including the spell book, dealt with once and for all!"

"You can't!" Sunset yelled. "That is his life's work! If you take that from him, it will destroy him!"

"I must do what I believe is necessary!" Shining declared. "It's the only way to make sure his mistakes are never repeated. I had humored the others' decisions in letting him continue this fruitless search for 'good' dark magic here, but as I can see, there is no 'good' dark magic... as there are no 'good' dark magic users."

"That's enough, Shining!" Cadance suddenly stepped forward. "I've had quite enough of this!"

"Cadance, what are you talking about?" Shining glanced at Cadance.

"Don't play dumb with me!" Cadance yelled. "I had to stand by and listen to you tear into Echo these past months, making him out to be some criminal or madpony in the making. But no more! I won't stand for your baseless hate anymore!"

"You can't be serious." Shining gaped. "You can't be honestly taking Sunset's side on this! You of all ponies should know what dark magic had brought upon us!"

"That may be so!" Cadance glared. "And I might not like dark magic... but I do believe there is good for it! And perhaps, that there are good ponies who uses them! I had observed Echo throughout the year he had spent here under our watch, and I can say that it's obvious that Echo isn't like the others. Not once have I ever heard an impure thought regarding dark magic from him! He holds a good heart, and in spite of all that had happened to him, he never lost sight of it. Like it or not, the fact is Sombra and Black Knight were once decent ponies, as Echo was, but unlike them, Echo hadn't lost a shred of his equinity."

"But he's a danger to-" Shining retorted.

"I refuse to believe that." Cadance snapped, cutting him off, as she gestured to Sunset. "Just look at the love Sunset has for him! I hadn't felt love like that in quite some time. And it's sure as hay isn't love you would give to somepony like Sombra. Doesn't that tell you anything?"

Shining fell silent, though a disgruntled frown remained on his face.

"Say what you will, dear, but that doesn't change the fact that Echo still changes into a raging beast that could harm countless other ponies." Shining finally declared, without a bit of empathy in his voice. "My duty is clear. Echo must remained imprisoned, and his work destroyed."

"So, that's it then?" Sunset seethed, "You're just gonna lock Echo up like some wild animal, while the true animal is out there!"

"Make no mistake, Sunset, when I do meet Synchro again, it will be the last time..." Shining murmured, "But as long as Echo has the spell within him, he will remained caged. For life, if need be. And that is my final word."

"...You're a coward." Sunset whispered.

"...Excuse me?" Shining glared.

"You heard me." Sunset glared. "Echo is a good stallion, one of the best I've ever known, in fact. He can't help what he's become, but he's done everything he can to make up for his mistakes."

Sunset started tearing up, to Cadance's dismay.

"But all you see is a threat." Sunset continued, her eyes streaming. "Because of your own jaded history with dark magic, you won't even give him the benefit of the doubt, you prejudiced, judgmental bu-"

"Sunset!" Shining snapped, as he struggled to contain his anger. "You... are treading on very thin ice here... don't think I've forgiven you for when you came and stole my sister's crown all those years ago. I don't care if her or Celestia have forgiven you, I will not hesitate to throw you in prison!"

"I don't care!" Sunset yelled, her temper reaching its peak. "I won't let you do this to Echo!"

Sunset raised her hoof, about to strike Shining, but Sterling grabbed it, pulling it down.

"Let go of me, Sterling!" Sunset roared.

"Sunset, calm down!" Sterling urged. "This isn't helping anything! Punching the Prince won't help your case!"

"Well put, Cross." Shining nodded, before glaring at Sunset. "Please escort Ms. Shimmer outside. You're both dismissed."

"Yes, sir." Sterling nodded.

"Sterling, don't you da-" Sunset growled.

Sterling hefted Sunset over his shoulder and carried her out of the throne room.

"No, put me down!" Sunset struggled to escape.

"Can't do that, I'm afraid." Sterling said flatly. "This for your own good."

Sterling left the room with a struggling Sunset in tow. As soon as they were out of the room, Cadance cast a glare at Shining.

"Do you feel proud of yourself, Shining?" Cadance frowned. "Proud of what you are doing to her and Echo?"

"No…no, I don't." Shining frowned, "But I am only doing this to protect the ponies. To protect you, Anthem, and our foal."

"Is that really the reason?" Cadance challenged. "Because when did protecting our family involve ruining a stallion's life and breaking a mare's heart?"

"Dammit, Cadance..." Shining growled. "How many more ponies must suffer at the hooves of dark magic before it all stops? I just..." He rubbed the bridge of his snout. "I just want it to end. All this looking into dark magic. Nothing good will come of it. I don't want..."

"I know you don't." Cadance sighed. "But don't you dare confuse protecting your family with imprisoning an innocent pony."

"I'm not confused." Shining declared. "I know exactly what I'm doing."

"And that's the problem." Cadance shook her head.

"I have to do what's best for the Empire, for Equestria." Shining told her. "No matter how unfair it may seem..."

Outside the room, Sterling put Sunset down.

"You idiot, Sterling!" Sunset spat. "How could you?"

"I had to stop you from doing any other stupid things." Sterling said sternly.

"Who does that Prince think he is?" Sunset snarled. "Barging in on things like that, persecuting Echo like... Wait, how did he even know we were there? I mean, the documents listing the locations from the Archive were taken by Synchro, and even with the events hitting the news..."

"Actually, I have an answer for that... I'm the one who called in Shining." Sterling declared.

"You what?!" Sunset gasped.

"I had to." Sterling shrugged. "I couldn't risk both you and Echo falling into enemy's hooves. And from what I've heard and seen, it looks like I was right to do so."

"But how could you even-" Sunset froze, her mind reaching the only conclusion. "You've been in contact with him all this time?"

"Not all this time." Sterling admitted. "Just since Bitaly."

"Since then, and you never told us?" Sunset frowned. "How could you keep this from me? From Echo?"

"Echo... already knew." Sterling cringed.

"He did?" Sunset gaped.

"Yeah, he told me yesterday, just before your big day out." Sterling nodded.

"...Why didn't he tell me?" Sunset stepped back, aghast.

"He probably didn't think it mattered." Sterling shrugged. "We were pretty much done with the mission, or so we thought..."

"You... you..." Sunset trembled with anger. "You did this. Echo is in prison because of you!"

"I'm sorry, Sunset." Sterling sighed. "But I didn't have a choice. I had a duty to perform and after defying orders the first couple of times, I could defy this one..."

"Shut up!" Sunset beat her hooves on his chest. "Just shut up! You filthy traitor! I trusted you! Echo trusted you! How could you betray us like that?"

Sterling didn't resist, feeling he deserved the assault. Sunset kept it up for a few seconds more, before finally giving to despair. She collapsed against Sterling, weeping onto his shoulder.

"...I love him, Sterling..." Sunset bawled, "I don't want to lose him..."

"I am sorry, Sunset." Sterling comforted her. "Believe me, I never wanted this to happen..."

Down in the dungeons, Echo had finally awoken.

"...Sunset?" He groaned He looked around, and realized where he was. "Oh, no... no, no, no... it finally happened."

Echo walked his cell, trying to make sense of what had happened.

"The last thing I remember was... my brother... I have a brother..." He said to himself. "He was threatening Sunset, and then... and then..."

Echo froze, as it started coming back to him; Shining's sudden appearance, his transformation. The memories were hazy after that, but he recalled chasing after Synchro, determined to kill him. He remembered Sunset trying to stop. And most horrifying of all, he remembered hitting Sunset, and being on the verse of killing her.

"No..." Echo gasped. "I didn't... I wouldn't... but I almost..."

Echo lay back on his bed, and cried into his hooves.

"Sunset, I'm so sorry." He sniffed. "I brought this on myself... this all happened because of me and wanting to study dark magic. The Order, me turning into that beast, all those ponies I terrorized... and now, my brother... he's going to hurt ponies... all because of me. At least... at least I got to be with you one last time, even if it was only brief... and now, we will be separated forever. This cell is nothing, compared to being apart from you, Sunset."

Echo continued crying, his misery reverberating off the walls of his cell.

Meanwhile, at the front gates.

This was it... the moment he had been waiting for. Years working under the Order and for Flatfoot has been all leading up to this. With the tool necessary to achieve his goal finally in his possession, the 'apocalypse' was surely on it's way.

Synchro, after taking one last breath, marched through the gates of the Crystal Empire, not bothering to use his crystals this time. The civilians didn't take kindly to him, noting the similarity between him and Echo.

"Another one?" One Crystal Pony frowned. "They're like cockroaches..."

A handful of Ponies were bold enough to approach Synchro.

"We don't like your kind around here, pal." The ringleader, a burly stallion growled. "Get lost."

"My, how inhospitable." Synchro sneered, "You think that being so close to the Crystal Heart, you ponies would be a little nicer."

"Are you deaf or something?" Another stallion asked. "Beat it!"

"I get the distinct feeling that I'm not welcome here." Synchro smirked.

"You're not." A mare snarled.

"And that makes me angry." Synchro sneered. "And you know what? It makes you angry too."

"Say what?" The ringleader frowned.

Synchro slipped a hoof into his jacket, and pull out the artificial horn, which had absorbed the magic of the spell pages. The Crystal Ponies backed away, realizing that the horn resembled Sombra's.

"What is that?" The ringleader asked.

"Allow me to demonstrate." Synchro smirked, his eyes becoming incredibly wispy.

Then, the horn glowed, causing a magical surge to travel from the hoof that held the horn to his other front hoof, which he then aimed at the ringleader, as a pulse burst from the hoof, striking the ringleader. His face contorted into a mad snarl, and he attacked one of his fellows.

"Raaarrrgh!" He roared, trying to strangle his victim.

"What did you do to him?" The mare gasped.

"You should be more concerned with what I'm about to do with you." Synchro sneered, hitting her with another blast. "You don't want to hurt me, now do you?"

"No..." The mare smiled, overcome by lust. "I love you!"

"Of course you do." Synchro smirked. "And I would love it if you attacked that clod there."

"Me?" The second stallion blanched.

"Anything for you, handsome." The mare kicked the stallion in the face.

More Crystal Ponies came on the scene.

"Stop that creature!" A mare yelled.

"Creature?" Synchro put on a wounded look. "Now I'm hurt!"

"You'll be even more hurt when we run you out of town!" A stallion snarled.

"But you don't want to run." Synchro smirked, blasting the stallion with another pulse. "That's too much work."

"Yeah..." The stallion said slothfully. "I'm too tired for that... I'm gonna take a nap..."

The stallion lay down in the street, and started sleeping.

Synchro zapped another stallion before he could react.

"I'll give you a bag full of bits to go away." He offered, grabbing a bag from his coat.

"Done!" The greedy pony nodded, as he caught the bag and ran off.

Synchro zapped another mare.

"Forget this." The mare frowned. "I'm gonna get something to eat. I'm starving....

"What are you doing to them?" Another stallion yelled.

"That's none of your concern." Synchro zapped.

"You're right." The suddenly prideful pony declared. "Why am I lowering myself to dealing with the likes of you! I have much better things to do with my time!"

As the stallion walked away, two more tried to charge, Sycnhro, who zapped them both. They stopped in their tracks, and glared at each other.

"You think you're so great, just because you have that cushy job at the spa!" One shoved the other.

"And you're always lording your connections over everypony!" The other yelled. "Yeah, so you know Coco Pommel. Quit rubbing it in our faces!"

"This is so entertaining..." Synchro smirked.

A group of Guards arrived on the scene.

"Hold it right there!" One roared.

"Yeah, we want payback for what you did to our pals!" Another snarled.

"Enough games." Synchro's smirk faded, as crystals began forming around him. "Time to get serious."

"Down on the ground!" The guard demanded. "Now!"

Synchro clutched the horn tighter, and flick his free hoof, sending a wave of darkness that smothered the guards, blinding them.

"I can't see!" One guard said, as they stumbled around the inky cloud.

"Why so worried?" Synchro sneered. "You ponies have always been blind..."

Another group of Guards, Unicorns, rushed forward, horns pointed at Synchro.

"Halt, or we'll fire!" One declared.

"By all means." Synchro sneered raising the artificial horn. "Give me all you've got."

"Fire at will!" The lead guard ordered.

The Unicorns fired beams of magic at Synchro. With a grin, Synchro held up the horn, which started sucking the magic into itself.

"Can't... stop..." The lead guard groaned, as more magic was pulled out of him.

In mere moments, the guards collapsed, drained of magic.

"Thank you for your contributions." Synchro declared, flipping his horn a bit, as he saw more Guards heading his way. "But your service to me isn't over yet."

The horn glowed, as well as his free front hoof. Soon, magic began enveloping the Guards. With a rise of his free hoof, the guards, to their horror, found themselves standing up, their bodies out of their control.

"What is this?!" A guard stammered.

"An enslavement spell." Synchro smirked. "Ironically, the spell that your comrades died trying to secure." Then he feigned a yawn, and with a shooing gesture. "Now, make yourselves useful and deal with those fools for me, would you?"

"No..!" The lead guard yelled, as he and the others charged toward their comrades, their bodies moving of their own accord.

The other Guards were too shocked to do anything but gape as their comrades tackled them. In moments, they were unconscious.

"Good." Synchro nodded. "Now, to the castle."

Synchro moved forward, his unwilling slaves following. Spotting some more civilians, Synchro decided to have some fun. His powers greatly enhanced by the dark magic, he combined the crystals with the Sloth spell, draining the Sloth-induced ponies' power to create a massive crystal dragon. The creature let out a blood-curdling roar.

"Beautiful." Synchro smirked.

The dragon began stomping around, crushing things underfoot, and breathing more crystals, sending the Crystal Ponies running. Some of them tried to take shelter in a flower shop, but the dragon tore off the roof with one swipe of it's tail. As the ponies fled, it picked up the rest of the building in its jaws, shook it around, then threw into the distance.

"Ah, what fun!" Synchro cackled madly.

Up on the castle balcony, Sunset, Sterling, Shining and Cadance rushed out, drawn by the sound of the commotion outside. They spotted Synchro and his slaves making their way to the castle.

"It's him." Shining frowned. "What's he doing here?"

"He's planning to poison the Crystal Heart." Sunset revealed. "He wants every pony in Equestria corrupted by dark magic, just like him..." Then she whispered "Like Echo..."

"Not while I'm breathing." Shining declared. "Sterling, take my wife to safety. Ms. Shimmer, I need your help to fortify the defenses. Your experience fighting that monster could prove useful."

"I suppose I have no choice..." Sunset growled, not exactly in love with the idea of working with Shining at the moment.

"Good luck, my love." Cadance kissed Shining. "Be safe…"

"I'll try." Shining nodded.

"This way, your highness." Sterling led Cadance to safety, as he pulled his crossbow, "Good thing I hung onto this."

"I'm just glad Anthem in Mihaymi at the moment..." Cadance admitted.

Synchro continued his march, either swatting aside those who challenged him, or inflicting the spells upon them. Before long, his goal was in sight; the Crystal Heart.

"It won't be long now." He smirked.

Another group of guards emerged to defend the Heart.

"For the Crystal Empire!" Their leader called.

"Oh, please." Synchro rolled his eyes. "You fools don't know what you're up against. But I'd be happy to show you."

As the Guards charged, Synchro unleashed a combination of his crystals, the darkness spell, and the magic draining spell, taking out a significant chunk of the Guards.

"How about a little Wrath?" Synchro offered, striking two Guards with the spell. The Guards immediately started fighting each other like animals. "Or some Greed?"

Another Guard was struck.

"I do not get paid enough for this." The Guard took off his armor. "Hmm, I might get a few Bits for this stuff..."

"Time for a little Gluttony..." Synchro smirked.

Seeing a small café nearby, he blasted a trio of Guards with the Gluttony spell.

"They've got a special on hayburgers other there." He pointed.

"Let me at 'em!" One Guard rushed over.

"Me first!" The second one pushed past.

"No, me!" The third ran behind them.

"A hint of lust..." Synchro sniggered.

Another Guard was hit. They spotted a pretty Crystal mare running past, trying to get away from the dragon.

"Hey, baby!" The Guard chased after her. "Goin' my way?"

"A dash of Pride..." Synchro zapped more Guards.

"What am I doing?" One Guard sneered. "I was top of my class during training, and they've got me acting as a glorified security guard?"

"No kidding." Another nodded. "I'm outta here!"

"A touch of Sloth..." Synchro hit more Guards, who simply yawned and curled up on the floor. At the same time, their energy surged over to the dragon, strengthening it.

"And a pinch of Envy..." Synchro struck three more.

"Why are you always the one who gets the best assignments?" One berated the other. "I'm just as good as you!"

"What are you complaining about?" The third spat. "I'd give anything to have your position, you jerk!"

"At least you two don't have a ton of paperwork to sift through every day!" The second pony yelled.

"Huh." Synchro sighed. "Toying with these fool's emotions isn't as much fun as I thought it'd be. In fact, it's getting real old, real fast..."

To Synchro's dismay, more Guards arrived on the scene.

"Handle the rest." He told his slaves. "I've got bigger fish to fry."

Meanwhile, Sunset raced out of the castle, and beheld the crystal dragon, still mobile (and destructive) despite its creator's focus elsewhere.

"Oh, boy..." She gaped.

The dragon roared at her, and followed up by spitting a stream of crystals. Sunset threw up a forcefield, protecting herself. As the dragon stepped forward, Sunset moved to the side, blasting its leg. A considerable amount of crystal were shattered, but the dragon kept going, breathing another stream. Sunset blocked it, then retaliated. The dragon tried to swipe at her with its claws, but she ducked away, following up with another blast. The back-and-forth continued for a while, until Sunset noticed something; the dragon was getting smaller.

"How... of course!" She realised. "There are only so many crystals that make up its structure. Without its master to replenish it, it's running out of... itself! All I have to do is speed things up..."

Sunset fired rapid bursts of magic from her horn, blasting away more crystals. The dragon roared. It tried to step on her, but she jumped aside.

"Come on!" She taunted it. "Is that the best you're got?!"

The dragon released a burst of crystals, but a magic blast from Sunset obliterated them. The dragon whipped its tail at her. She barely managed to duck in time, the tail shattering a crystal column.

Undeterred, Sunset continued blasting and goading the creature until it had expended almost all its crystals; By that point, it was barely her height.

"You're done, shorty." She blasted the dragon again, shattering it completely.

Meanwhile, Synchro was approaching the Heart, horn in hoof, his eyes wispy as all get out, but found Shining stood in front of it, clad in armor, and bearing an angry look to boot.

"Ah, Shining, glad you could make it." Synchro said affably. "Love what you've done with the place. It's like that Black feller never came and wreck the place."

"...I know all about what you did." Shining snarled. "And I won't let you do it again."

"Is that so?" Synchro sneered. "Have you forgotten our earlier conversation? I've got your number. You're nothing but an ineffectual coward who couldn't stop a bug, let alone a Changeling if you wanted to."

"And you're nothing but a monster who toys with dark magic." Shining countered. "And now playtime is over."

"Monster...?" Synchro frowned... before smiling."You know, Shining, you remind me of my dear old stepdad... he hated me just like you did, for no good reason."

"No good reason?" Shining growled. "You murdered many innocent ponies, including a squad of guards, many of whom had wives and kids."

"Yet I can tell that you hated me the moment you heard of me." Synchro smirked. "What you fail to realize though is that in order for a pony see a monster, he himself has to be a monster."

"And what is that supposed to mean?" Shining seethed.

"Need I spell it out? It's no secret that you loath everypony who uses dark magic. You see them as abominations, ponies that should be rounded up and caged like animals. It doesn't matter if that abomination is a stallion, a mare, or even a foal, if their eyes went wispy, you would have them locked up." Synchro explained, as he pointed at him. "It's because of ponies like you that ponies like me and Echo are ostracized and hated."

"I bear no blame in how you were treated in life." Shining glared, "And it's more than likely that you deserved it..."

"Really?" Synchro stifled the urge to kill the pony where he stood. "Me, a poor Thestral who grew up being beaten, treated like an animal, and having his wings ripped off, all for just being a Thestral, deserved to be treated less than a pony being? I wasn't always a monster, you know... I was just made by one much similar to you..."

"Are you expecting sympathy?" Shining said indifferently. "You probably let yourself the victim. Did you ever think of fighting back?"

"Actually, yes." Synchro nodded. "Though it didn't go the way I planned, I finally freed myself from my tormenter. ...Not that you can say the same."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Shining growled.

"You really want me to spell it out for you?" Synchro smirked. "Your track record when it comes to fighting villains is appalling. Every time some great evil reared its head, you had to be bailed out by your little sister and her friends. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that you've never won a fight in your life!"

"Shut up." Shining snarled.

"How you got to be captain of the Royal Guard, let alone the Prince, is beyond me." Synchro sneered. "Perhaps Celestia just felt sorry for you. And perhaps Cadance just has a thing for weaklings..."

"That's enough!" Shining yelled. "Since you won't shut your mouth, I'm going to shut it for you... for good."

"Oh no." Synchro mock-quivered. "Are you going to kill me now?"

"You're Faust-damn right I am." Shining growled.

"Well, then." Synchro took a battle stance, and gestured with a 'come hither'. "Give it your best shot."

Shining fired a blast of magic at Synchro, who dodged it. Synchro retaliated with a stream of dark crystals, but Shining's shield spell still managed to hold against the enhanced onslaught.

"Why are you doing this?" Shining asked, as he fired another blast of magic. "Why do you want to corrupt innocent ponies?"

"Innocent? Please!" Synchro spat, dodging the beam. "We're all just savages, deep down. Trained to be afraid. We're animals that can't be tamed, but ponies like you delude yourselves into thinking otherwise. The truth is, we're all the same. We're all monsters on the inside. We are full of wrath and greed, we are lustful and gluttonous, we reek of pride, and acts like sloths, and we envy each other like none other. However, we somehow keep it all locked inside, just waiting for the right time to let it out. Well, no more. I'm going to help all of Equestria realize the truth!"

"Not if I can help it!" Shining yelled, renewing his assault. "I knew you were mad, but I didn't think you were this mad!"

"More labels, eh?" Synchro sighed, sidestepping Shining's attack. "So sad..."

"Don't you dare talk down to me, you fiend!" Shining punched Synchro in the face.

"Thank you for proving my point." Synchro smirked, spitting out a bit of blood. "We all have darkness inside us, even the great and pure Crystal Prince. When I am done, everypony will have dark magic, just like me. And when they realize that they now have the power to do as they will without resistance, they will release their deepest darkest desires upon Equestria. There'll be no more hiding what we truly are."

"That's not going to happen." Shining growled. "The blight of dark magic ends now!"

"If you say so, little Prince." Synchro taunted him, firing a burst of crystals.

Shining conjured his shield to protect him.

"Not this time." Synchro sneered, using the magic draining spell to absorb the shield.

"No!" Shining yelped, as the crystals slammed into him.

"It'll take more than a one-trick pony to match the magic of King Sombra." Synchro smirked. "But then again, you already knew that. Didn't you, you pathetic failure?"

"Raah!" Shining charged at Synchro, his anger flared.

"Temper, temper." Synchro chided, blasting Shining with more crystals.

Shining struggled to get up, and was encased in the darkness spell. Synchro then leapt into the cloud of blackness and pummelled the blinded Prince. The cloud dissipated, and Shining tumbled to the ground. Synchro kicked him in the side, then stabbed him in the lower-abdomen with a dark crystal spike.

"Ahhh!" Shining screamed.

"Have I made my point yet?" Synchro twisted the spike, inducing more agony. "This is a taste of the pain I've felt since the 'real' monster took my wings..." He then leaned in close to his face. "Excruciating, isn't it?"

"Aghhh..." Shining groaned.

"Now, watch carefully, foolish Prince." Synchro taunted, as he pulled away and turned to the Heart. "You're about to see your precious Empire go down in flames."

"No...!" Shining cried, as Synchro walked towards the Crystal Heart.

"Say hello to a new Equestria..." Synchro held up the horn, ready to jab it into the Crystal Heart.

Suddenly, a blast of magic knocked him aside.

"What the…?" He turned.

Sunset Shimmer stood before him.

"You'll have to get through me first." Sunset declared.

"Well, well, my brother's main squeeze has decided to grace us with her presence." Synchro mocked. "Very well, there is one piece of unfinished business I have to take care of before making ponies realize that we are all just savages..."

"Then let's finish it." Sunset glared, ready to fight to the end, not just for the sake of the Empire, but to honor Echo's sacrifice.