• Published 13th Feb 2015
  • 1,439 Views, 65 Comments

Our Darkest Days - Bluecatcinema



Sunset Shimmer and Echo Alchemy embark on a thrilling adventure together.

  • ...
5
 65
 1,439

Auction Action

Somewhere beyond Equestria, a cloaked pony was walking beside a small thicket. From the shadows, the masked pony emerged behind him.

"It's me." The masked pony declared. "Don't stop. Don't turn around."

"Well, well." The cloaked pony smirked. "I was beginning to think that you weren't going to show. Progress report?"

"Things are going well, Agent Flatfoot." The masked pony declared. "Another page is ours."

"Oh, yes." Flatfoot nodded. "That makes two to Echo's three... Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to pat yourself on the back."

"True, Echo and his companions have given me some... complications." The masked pony admitted grudgingly.

"That was to be expected." Flatfoot retorted. "They are a tenacious bunch. Especially Echo... All the same, you were expected to handle them."

"Perhaps I could have handled them better if I were allowed to use lethal force." The masked pony growled. "Holding back against them hasn't been easy..."

"And you will continue to do so." Flatfoot instructed. "For now, we need our troublesome Thestral and his companions alive."

"I still don't understand what Echo's part in all this is meant to be." The masked pony remarked.

"All will be revealed in time, my friend." Flatfoot remarked.

"That time had better be soon." The masked pony snarled. "I don't like being kept in the dark."

"That's ironic, coming from you." Flatfoot snorted. "Quite amusing, in fact..."

"Yes, hilarious." The masked pony said flatly.

"You'll learn the truth soon enough, I promise." Flatfoot pledged. "For now, just keep up the good work."

"Oh, I will." The masked pony nodded, before slipping back into the shadows. "For the Order Of Darkness, it shall be so."

"And nopony will stop us." The cloaked pony added.

Elsewhere...

Echo was walking down a dark long corridor, rather confused about what was going on.

"Hello?" His voice echoed. "Hello? Sunset? Sterling? Where are you guys?"

He continued down the long corridor, where he heard faint, sensual music.

"What is this?" He frowned. "Where am I? What's going on?"

Echo eventually arrived at the end of the corridor, finding himself in a... spacious bedroom, with candlelight and rose petals.

"Okay, this just went from ominous to strange real quickly." Echo noted.

"Oh, Echo..." A familiar voice called out, tinged with sultriness.

"Huh?" Echo looked up, and was stupefied to find Sunset, her mane groomed and let down, lounging saucily on the bed. "Uh... Ms. Shimmer?"

"I've been waiting for you, Echo..." Sunset purred.

"Uh, what is going on here?" Echo asked. "Where's Sterling... where are the pages?"

"Forget them, love... why don't you lie down with me?" Sunset smiled.

"Now, Sunset, we don't have time." Echo said, flustered. "The masked pony is on his way to the next page as we speak, and if we don't do-"

"Please, forget all your worries, Echo... and lie with me. Please?" Sunset pleaded, her eyes having a certain glint to them.

"Um... okay..." Echo gulped, unsure, as he climbed on the bed. "Look, Sunset, I know what you're thinking, and I really don't think it is appropriate that I would be doing this with my assistant..."

"But why?" Sunset asked. "Why deny that you have wishes to become one with me?" She began nuzzling his neck.

"I don't... well, maybe...it's complicated." Echo said awkwardly. "And I don't wish to get you mixed in those complications."

"Really? Even if I do this?" Sunset suddenly captured his mouth in a kiss. Echo tried his best to push her away... but his body just went limp as he got into it.

The two continued to make out. Echo tried his best not to give in, but found him enslaved enraptured by Sunset's touch, the warmth of her body next to his... He just couldn't resist, and quickly found himself returning her affections. Soon, Echo laid her on the bed.

"Remember what almost happened in Minostan?" Sunset exposed her neck. "Nursing on my blood? Do it. Do it now."

"Are you sure?" Echo asked with concern.

"More sure than I've ever felt in my life." Sunset grinned.

"Okay." Echo shrugged. "Here goes..."

Echo bit lightly into Sunset's neck, inducing a slight twinge of pain. Then came the lapping of the blood. Sunset enjoyed it at first... but it started getting uncomfortable.

"I think that's enough for now." She declared, trying to get Echo to stop.

But Echo couldn't stop. He knew Sunset wanted him to, but he couldn't. His body seemed to be beyond his control. He felt his body starting to change. He realized with mounting horror that his expanding jaw was tightening around Sunset's neck.

"Echo...!" Sunset gasped, unable to breathe, "P-please!"

Sunset scrambled to push him off with her hooves, but Echo only pinned them, his now bigger hooves crushing them, eliciting a high-pitched squeak from the choking mare, as tears of fear stream from her eyes.

However, Echo was unable to stop himself, as with a loud snap, Sunset fell limp. Echo felt himself pulled away, looking at the dead mare below him... before letting out a loud beast-like roar.

"Nooooo!" Echo suddenly woke up, sitting upright in his cabin bed. Sunlight streamed in through the porthole. Echo glanced at his body, feeling his jaw and his hooves, only to sigh in relief. "Just a dream..." He gasped. "It was just a dream... a horrifying nightmare... but a dream no less."

Sunset then entered the cabin.

"Oh good, you're up." She smiled. "We've arrived in Bitaly. Come on, let's go!"

"...Right behind you." Echo put on a brave face, still shaken by his nightmare.

Sterling was waiting for them outside.

"There you are." He noted, before spotting the sweat on Echo's brow. "Lemme guess: the AC in your cabin is on the fritz?"

"...Yes." Echo nodded.

"There'll be plenty of time to cool off later." Sunset urged. "Don't forget the mission."

The trio disembarked from the boat into Bitaly.

"Alright then." Echo declared, trying to put his nightmare behind him. "The next page is in the possession of Top Bid, an upper-class stallion."

"Who wants to bet this guy'll be totally nuts, too?" Sterling sighed wearily.

"That does seem to be the trend, doesn't it?" Sunset agreed.

"Not necessarily." Echo retorted. "That old fellow in Manehattan wasn't 'nuts', now was he?"

"Guess not." Sterling shrugged. "Boy, that seems like a long time ago."

"Indeed, it does." Echo noted. "Now, Top Bid runs an auction house. He'll most likely be there."

They arrived at Top Bid's auction house shortly afterward, elated to notice along the way that nothing out of the ordinary seemed to be going on.

"Maybe we've finally caught a break." Sunset said hopefully.

As they entered the auction house, they spotted Top Bid in a corner. He was a copper-colored stallion with a silvery mane, green eyes, and a gavel Cutie Mark. He was in the middle of talking with Larceny "Lars" Napoleon. The upcoming auction involved several items donated by the Napoleons, and Lars was there to make sure everything went smoothly.

"It's always good to see you Lars, but your visit just wasn't necessary." Top Bid declared.

"I'm just making sure the money goes where it's supposed to." Lars retorted. "Some of this stuff's been in our organisation's possession for generations. Can't blame me for being cautious...."

"Excuse me." Echo stepped forward. "Forgive the interruption, Mr. Bid, but I am Echo Alchemy, and we have a matter of great importance to discuss. If we may talk privately?"

"Make it quick." Top Bid shrugged.

The four of them entered a side room.

"So, what brings you here?" Top Bid asked.

"We have come for the page of King Sombra's spell book that was entrusted to you." Echo announced. "I must ask that you give it to us, post-haste."

"Oh, I'm afraid I can't do that." Top Bid shook his head.

"Why?" Sterling asked, readying himself for a fight.

"Because that page is the star attraction in my auction tonight." Top Bid revealed.

"Auction?" Sunset gaped. "You're going to auction off a page filled with dark magic to the highest bidder?!"

"Yes, I am." Top Bid nodded.

"But you're supposed to be the page's guardian." Echo frowned. "You're supposed to protect it!"

"Yes, well, I've heard over the grapevine that the other page guardians have been having some... trouble lately." Top Bid remarked. "I'm not looking for trouble, so I'll just pass it on to somepony else. Feel free to come and bid on it tonight. Now, if you'll excuse me..."

Top Bid departed the room, leaving the trio alone.

"Looks like we're going to have to join the auction..." Sunset sighed.

"I'm afraid it's not that simple." Echo frowned. "Our funds are quite low at the moment. An item of the page's caliber could go for thousands, if not millions of bits. We just don't have enough for that."

"Then we'll just bust in and take the page!" Sterling declared.

"Absolutely not." Echo countered. "We can't afford to draw attention to ourselves."

"Then what do you suggest, smart guy?" Sterling said irritably. "That big brain of yours got any ideas?"

"Just one." Echo nodded.

"What is it, Echo?" Sunset asked.

"I'd rather not discuss it here." Echo whispered. "You never know who could be listening..."

They left the auction house and made their way to a small field, where Echo relayed his idea.

"I will take part in the auction." He declared. "Sunset, you will hide yourself and use your magic to keep the other bidders from raising their hooves or speaking. With no competition, it will be relatively easy to buy the page with the funds we have."

"Pretty sneaky, Alchemy." Sterling grinned, showing genuine admiration. "I didn't you had it in you."

"Thank you... I think." Echo nodded. "Do you think you can do it, Sunset?"

"Trying to hold back a lot of ponies at once may be tricky..." Sunset mused. "But I think I can handle it. Can't be any tougher than fighting psychotic, corrupted ponies... And if we're lucky, there may not that many other bidders at that point."

"Excellent." Echo smiled. "Then we're all set."

That evening, they returned to the auction house. Echo took a seat amongst the other bidders, while Sunset slipped behind a curtain, ready to play her part. Sterling stood by the door, on the lookout for trouble. On the platform at the front of the room, Top Bid and Lars stepped forward

"Welcome to our little auction." Top Bid declared. "Before we begin, I'd like to thank my benefactor here for making all this possible."

Lars nodded curtly.

"Now, without further ado, let's get started." Top Bid smiled. "First item up for bid, a marvelous set of silver daggers..."

And so the auction went underway. As Echo had surmised, Top Bid was saving the page for last. Echo sat patiently in the back row, as other items were warred over by the other bidders. Those who had won the items picked them up and departed. Before long, there were barely a dozen ponies left.

Finally, the moment arrived.

"And our final lot for bid is something special." Top Bid announced. "An actual page from the spell book of King Sombra himself. A must for all collectors of mystical artefacts. Shall we start the bidding at five hundred bits?"

"Five hundred!" Echo called.

It was at that point that Sunset went to work, using her magic to hold down and gag anypony who looked to be making a bid. The would-be bidders struggled with shock, unable to move. One, however, was stronger than the others, and managed to break free.

"One thousand!" He called.

Echo panicked for an instant, before reining himself in.

"One thousand five hundred!" He countered.

Concentrating harder, Sunset managed to pin down the troublemaker.

"I have one thousand five hundred bits going once!" Top Bid declared. "Going twice... Sold, to the Thestral in the back row!"

Triumphant, Echo stood up to collect the prize. At the same time, a suspicious guard edged over to the curtain, having caught a glimpse of Sunset's glowing horn. Sterling moved in to intercept.

"Something up, pal?" He stood in front of the guard.

"None of your business!" The guard said brusquely.

"My, aren't we inhospitable?" Sterling smirked, continuing to block the guard's path.

"Wait a second!" The bidder who had managed to resist Sunset's magic yelled. "Something weird's going on here!"

"No kidding!" Another added. "I was going to bid, but I couldn't move! Couldn't speak!"

"Me too!" A third bidder added. "There's some kind of scam going on here!"

"Now, now." Echo snorted, as he prepared to take the page. "Nopony likes sore losers."

At the same time as Echo's hoof neared the page, the guard tired of Sterling's interference.

"Out of my way!" He yelled, shoving Sterling aside.

Sterling fell against the curtain, instinctively grabbing it and pulling it to the side, revealing Sunset.

"A Unicorn..." The guard gaped. "It is a scam!"

In the blink of an eye, Echo snatched up the page. He then flew over and kicked the guard away from Sunset and Sterling. Together, they ran to the exit, but found it blocked by more guards.

"I don't suppose you planned for this?" Sunset asked.

"Not exactly." Echo admitted.

"Remind me to take back my earlier compliments." Sterling quipped.

"Did you really think you could steal from me?" Top Bid growled. "Well, you were wrong. And now you're going to pay the price!"

"Hold up a sec, Bid." Lars declared. "One of them's a Royal Guardspony. Do you really want that kind of heat on your back?"

"Do you even hear yourself?" Top Bid sneered. "Looks like the rumors are true; You and your brothers have gone soft!"

"Excuse me?" Lars frowned.

"You heard." Top Bid glared. "Even that nutso little brother brother of yours. He's become a nark for royalty, just like that clown over there."

"Watch your mouth, Bid." Lars growled. "Nopony's gone soft. I'm just saying, whacking these three might not be the best idea."

"And I'm just saying that I don't care!" Top Bid yelled. "Guards!"

The trio were surrounded by security guards and irate ponies.

"Nice knowing ya, guys." Sterling sighed.

"It's not over yet." Echo declared. "I have an idea. But it's not exactly a perfect one." He held up the page. "Sunset, invoke the spell on this page."

"What?!" Sunset gasped. "You can't be serious! The dark magic-"

"I know it's dangerous." Echo admitted. "But it's our only chance. And from what I've seen, you may have the power to control it."

"Are you nuts?" Sterling growled. "You'd expose her to the dark magic, after what it did to all those other ponies?"

"It's not like we have a choice here, Sterling." Echo retorted. "Sunset, I know it's a lot to ask, but it's our only chance of getting out of here."

"...Okay, I'll do it." Sunset took the page. Her horn lit up, as did the page, and her eyes became wispy.

A stream of dark mist emitted from Sunset's horn, enveloping the entire room.

"What the-?" Top Bid gasped. "What is this?"

"I can't see!" Lars yelped.

With his ability to see in the dark, Echo alone was able to navigate the darkened room, guiding Sunset and Sterling past the stumbling, blinded ponies, and outside to safety.

"What was that?" Sterling asked.

"A spell of dark mist." Echo declared. "A mist so dark, no light can penetrate it."

Sunset suddenly collapsed from the strain.

"Sunset!" Sterling gasped. "Is she-"

"No, just exhausted." Echo clarified. As he spoke, the window to the auction room showed the mist dissipating. "We have to go."

"I'll carry her." Sterling declared, lifting Sunset's unconscious body onto his own.

They rushed out into the night. By the time the auction ponies made it outside, they were gone from view.

"They're gone!" Top Bid roared. "Those lousy thieves! Heads are gonna roll for this!"

"Cool it, Bid." Lars declared. "They can't have gone far. Besides, I reckon they did you a favor. No good can come from that dark magic stuff."

"Speak for yourself!" Top Bid spat. "I was going to make a small fortune from that page. Those three are going to pay for this!"

As soon as they were a good distance from the auction house, the two stallions came to a halt.

"We have to stop somewhere, so Sunset can rest." Sterling declared.

"Agreed." Echo nodded. "If I recall, there's a small inn near here. It will do for now."

They made it to the inn, quietly paying their way. Once they got to their room, Sterling gently placed Sunset on the bed. Moments, later, she woke up.

"Did it... did it work?" She asked weakly.

"It worked perfectly." Echo held up the page. "How are you?"

"Honestly? Not great." Sunset groaned. "My head is killing me."

"That's a common side effect for first-time use of dark magic." Echo declared. "It should pass."

"I sure hope so." Sunset rubbed her temples.

"I had no doubt you could pull it off." Echo smiled briefly, before switching to a frown. "I'm just sorry you had to go through with it at all. ...You know I would never do anything to hurt you, right?"

"Of course I do." Sunset smiled. "And it all worked out in the end, didn't it?"

"It certainly did." Echo smiled.

"That's enough talk." Sterling groaned. "You need to rest more, Sunset. I'll go get you some ice."

"That sounds great." Sunset sighed. "Thanks, Sterling."

"No problem." Sterling grinned.

After picking up some ice at the front desk, Sterling made his way to the room, when he was tackled by a shadowy figure.

"Gah! Let me go!" Sterling struggled. "If you don't, I-"

"You'll what?" The shadowy figure leaned into the light revealing himself to be Shining Armor.

"Prince Armor?!" Sterling gasped. "What-how-why are you-"

"Silence! Shining yelled, causing Sterling to clam up. "I'll be asking the questions here! And trust me, you better have a good explanation for why 'one of my best' guards is associating himself with a pony who had went against my orders and gone AWOL!"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, I assure you, I have not gone AWOL!" Sterling protested.

"Really?" Shining sneered. "So you mean to tell me that you were dragged along by Echo against your own will?"

"No!" Sterling refuted. "It's... could you please let go of me? I'll explain everything."

Shining grunted as he released Sterling.

"Thank you..." Sterling groaned, getting to his hooves.

"Start talking." Shining demanded. "From the top."

"Okay, it's like this." Sterling sighed. "After that masked freak's attack, I spotted Alchemy making his getaway. I followed him, and found him with Ms. Shimmer. I thought he was kidnapping her, but he wasn't. They were going to go after those pages together."

"Care to tell me why you didn't stop them?" Shining asked. "And for that matter, why you joined them?"

"They were pretty... convincing, sir." Sterling declared. "What they're doing is on the up and up, for real. They're doing all this for the good of ponykind, especially Alchemy. I wasn't sure of him at first, but now I'm sure he's one of the most purehearted stallions I've ever met."

"Really?" Shining frowned. "If he's so pure, than why is he so determined to go against my orders?"

"All due respect sir, but Echo knows what he's doing." Sterling declared. "I've gotten the measure of him, and he's a pretty stand-up guy. Maybe even our best hope to stop whatever that masked menace has up his sleeve."

"And you expect me to trust him?" Shining asked. "Must I remind you of what happened ten months prior?"

"I am aware of that. But Echo hasn't turned ever since." Sterling replied. "And Echo has shown great control of his temper."

"But there were times that Echo didn't. And there were many instances over the past several months that Echo had those wispy eyes, the erratic breathing, his body shifting…" Shining sighed. "Look, I'm not saying Echo is a bad pony, but he's a ticking time-bomb. The longer he is on this quest of his, the higher the risk we run of him turning again. And if he was to turn while touring all of Eurodeo, we could have an international incident. Everypony's still on edge from Black's attack."

"He won't turn, sir." Sterling stated.

"And how can you be so sure of that?" Shining asked. "And what of Sunset? Celestia entrusted her to us to have her work with him. If something were to happen to her… I don't know how I'll explain it to Celestia or Twilight."

"Trust me, your highness." Sterling pleaded. "Didn't you once say I was your best Guardspony? Well, I still am. Believe me when I say this situation is well in hoof."

"But what about the masked pony?" Shining asked. "And the couple of ponies that are now dead because of this hunt? How many more lives are going to be risked and taken before this is all over?"

"That I don't know." Sterling admitted. "But I know more lives will be lost if whatever that masked pony is planning comes to fruition. Echo is our best chance at making sure that doesn't happen."

"That's the part that worries." Shining frowned. "You claim to know him, but how can you be sure? Who's to say he isn't just playing you to get what he wants?"

"With respect, your highness, I refuse to believe that." Sterling declared. "Everything Echo's been doing is for the good of Equestria. If you'd seen what I've seen, you'd know that too."

"And you're certain you can keep the situation under control?" Shining asked, ignoring what Sterling had just said.

"I'd stake my life on it, sir." Sterling proclaimed.

Shining looked at Sterling, remaining silent for a moment.

"Okay." Shining nodded. "You've twisted my hoof. I'll let you three continue on your quest and I will have my stallions lay off... but only on two conditions: One, I expect you to keep me posted on your movements at all time." He patted Sterling on the back (slipping something into his armor). "You don't go anywhere without my knowing."

"Done, your majesty." Sterling nodded.

"And two: Bring Echo back to me as soon as all this is over." Shining continued.

"...Okay." Sterling frowned. "But... what exactly will you do to him when this is all over?"

"Just worry about meeting those conditions." Shining dodged the question. "Can I count on you, Cross?"

"Yes, your highness." Sterling nodded.

"Good." Shining said quietly, "Happy hunting." As he turned to leave, he then looked back at Sterling. "Oh, and Sterling?"

"Yes?" Sterling asked.

"Be careful. Echo may have good intentions, but from what I've observed, he's a pony who's willing to risk everything to achieve his goals." Shining warned. "That makes him dangerous."

"I'm not worried." Sterling said sternly. "I trust Echo."

"Well, everypony trusted ponies like Sombra and Black Knight, and where did that get them?" Shining ominously declared. "Keep that in mind."

"I will." Sterling nodded.

With that, Shining disappeared, leaving the royal guard rather perturbed. He returned to the trio's room soon after.

"What kept you?" Sunset asked, wincing from her head-ache.

"Long line." Sterling lied. "Here's some ice for that head of yours.

Sterling put some ice into a pack, and placed it on Sunset's head.

"Ahhh, that's better." Sunset smiled.

"Once Sunset has recovered, we should get moving." Echo declared. "The next page awaits."

"Yeah, sure." Sterling nodded, still thinking about Shining's words. "Look, it's been a long night. I need some shut-eye."

"Night." Sunset nodded.

After Sterling fell asleep, Sunset and Echo sat together in silence.

"...Sunset?" Echo said suddenly.

"Yeah?" Sunset asked.

"Listen, about what happened in Minostan." Echo said awkwardly. "The things I did and said..."

"I know." Sunset nodded. "You weren't in your right mind. Eros's spell messed with your head."

"It did indeed." Echo nodded. "I would never try to... force myself upon you like that. Even if I did... you know..."

"That's... good to know." Sunset yawned, tiredness creeping back in. "Let's just leave that awkward little moment in the past, shall we?"

"Agreed." Echo grinned.

"Good." Sunset suddenly leaned against him, giving in to exhaustion. "Night..."

Sunset fell asleep on Echo's shoulder. Echo gently moved aside, laying her on the bed. In spite of himself, he couldn't help but stroke her mane tenderly.

"Good night, Sunset." He whispered.

Later that night, Top Bid and his guards were talking in an alley way.

"What do you mean 'we haven't found them yet'?!" Top Bid yelled. "Keep looking!"

"Yes, sir, Mr Bid." One guard nodded.

Suddenly, the guards were blasted away by a stream of dark crystals.

"What th-" Top Bid gaped, turning to see the masked pony emerge from the shadows. His expression changed to one of abject terror. "Oh no. It's you... The one who's been killing the others..."

"I see my reputation precedes me." The masked pony said smugly. "Now... where is the page?"

"I, I... don't know!" Top Bid trembled.

"Don't lie to me!" The masked pony roared, lashing Top Bid with a crystal whip, and knocking the stallion to the ground.

"I swear!" Top Bid yelped, as he was whipped again. "It was stolen from me by a trio of thieves!"

"Thieves?" The masked pony stopped. "Tell me everything." He speared the wall behind Top Bid with a crystal spike. "And I do mean 'everything'..."

A couple of nights later, the masked pony stood outside the door to the trio's room. Correctly surmising that Sunset would need to rest after casting the spell, he had searched every hotel and inn he could find. The front desk had described the trio perfectly, and the masked pony was ready to pounce.

The masked pony kicked the door, open, discovering that the room was empty (the trio having left the day before).

"You got lucky this time, fools." He growled. "Next time, you won't be so fortunate..."

The trio were already on their way to the next page, unaware of how close they had come to another clash with their masked nemesis. Another page was theirs, and the next was in their sights.