• Published 29th Jan 2015
  • 1,903 Views, 37 Comments

Closet Pony - DouglasTrotter

  • ...
8
 37
 1,903

June 29th

>>>June 29th, 8:10 am<<<

"All memories should be cherished. Though we hold onto the beautiful ones the most, we should never forget the bad ones, for it is our memories, the good and the bad, that define us." -Unknown

The memories I've forged throughout my life have kept me going. I felt elated when I graduated from college, and it destroyed me when my mother passed away. Those memories, good and bad, define me. I'm beyond grateful to learn once more to look back on my memories vs. scorning them. It's thanks in part to the bonds I made with these unusually weird, downright funny equines. All of them have given me so much that I can never be repaid. That's why today feels so somber. Today..., today is the day I... must say goodbye. It's awkward to say the least.

It's hard to believe my life changed with a simple strange sound. It's the first memory that comes to mind when I think about these ponies. Over a year ago I gazed at Apple Bloom's innocent eyes. The little filly gazed right back at me. Our simple chance meeting started off a whirlwind odyssey.

Days came and went, and the more stories we shared, the more our bonds grew. It seemed humans and ponies weren't so different. My pony problems multiplied in a short time however.

Scootaloo had arrived one day when I was out, me coming home to the sight of the pegasus filly. Apple Bloom I could handle, but the duo proved tough. Scootaloo and her helicopter encounter scared me to no end. Sweetie Belle came along not too long after the pegasus filly with Sweetie Belle being who introduced me to "magic."

The enchanted pair of headphones both terrified me and astound me, the concept of magic irritating me. Heh, I once called it Deus Ex Machina garbage, which, to be fair, is still true in some regards.

Another memory I'll never forget is the day Scootaloo got sick. I was scared, and I'm thankful the filly recovered with no ill effects.

The news broadcast proved the hardest test for our little group. I remember every detail. When those fillies saw what had happened, they looked at me with such frightened eyes. They ran off to my room, demanding I stay back. That day tested the bonds our group had forged, but it didn't break them. The fillies agreed to trust and believe in me. It warmed my heart. I'm grateful they were willing to trust me.

When that horrible day cleared, our bonds grew. Our little group made and shared more and more memories. Deep down, I secretly hoped to do everything in my power to send these three... "angels" home, but I didn't have that power, not for a while at least.

Those moments are precious to me, holding them close to my heart. Of course, life changes at its own whims. On one day, on one inconspicuous night, the "alarm" went off when the fillies were asleep. On that night in March, my pony problem grew from three fillies to three fillies plus one royal horse-sized pain in my butt.

That night, I knew what the alarm meant before the closet door opened. I knew we had another guest. However, that sound could not have prepared me for the sight of a full grown mare on her back. Princess Celestia, a pure white mare who sported a golden crown and neckpiece, wings and a horn, and stood well over six-feet tall greeted me that night. Her multi-colored tail and mane flowed in my windless room like magic itself. When the regal mare arrived, on her back, it dramatically changed the three fillies' lives, and mine.

On one night, Princess Celestia offered me her crown. The gold crown with the beautiful purple jewel in it could have fetched a fortune. It was a hefty crown that weighed heavily on the wearer's head. The regal mare offered me the generous payment for taking care of her little ponies, and I refused. It wasn't right to accept the payment. What I did for Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo was done out of kindness and generosity, not for repayment at a later date. Not to let the topic rest, Princess Celestia upped the ante. Unbeknownst to me, the mare started work on something miraculous. She showcased her work one day. Somehow, Princess Celestia had constructed a kingdom on the moon, the grand palace of Sanctuary.

Again, I refused Princess Celestia's payment. There wasn't any reason for it, yet I did accept Princess Celestia's offer to stay in the wonderful place. I had no idea my refusal would trigger a strange series of events that would lead to the birth of a nightmare, an enthralling battle ensuing in the days to follow.

I don't know about Apple Bloom, but it amazed me to witness Princess Celestia clash with Nightmare Sepulcher. Their magical power, their ethereal might shook Sanctuary to its core. The tables turned when the creature harmed me, the act angering Princess Celestia. It took the courage of the Cutie Mark Crusaders to help turn the tide of battle in the final confrontation. In the end, the monstrously manifested nightmare that came to life, Nightmare Sepulcher was defeated, yet her defeat held a huge surprise for all of us.

A stone statue of Princess Celestia materialized in a blinding flash of light, residing where the nightmare once stood. All of us watch the stone statue crack then shed it stony shell. The once lifeless statue transformed into the embodiment of Sanctuary itself. After a final, now seemingly trivial battle, our lives transitioned into peaceful ones with the nightmarish entity that corrupted Sanctuary trapped in my watch. The once skittish Sanctuary has now blossomed into a beautiful mare all her own, and a dear, dear friend to me.

Though Nightmare Sepulcher's defeat felt the end of it, more surprises were instore.

My birthday rolled around and the ponies gave me a beautiful new watch since Nightmare Sepulcher had been encased in my old one. That little gift opened up a world of new possibilities, both dangerous and wondrous. The whole thing started off with a simple thought. I found it amusing to try my hand at magic, but I had no idea what would happen next when a quick snap of my fingers landed me in Sanctuary's pond. Cold and naked, Princess Celestia helped me out of the frigid pond that day. The answer as to how I performed such a feat eluded us for some time, and it's also time that trudged on from that point forward. Heck, how could I forget that I lost my right arm? Heh, it's probably because Princess Celestia trained me to compensate for it with magic.

Back on topic, I thought our unique adventures seemed over. Or, I should say I hoped we returned to some form of normalcy. Those hopes were dashed as more surprises were to come. The second to last addition to my pony problems brought some welcome and unwelcomed surprises.

Star Swirl the Bearded came to our world after a failed attempt at getting the ponies home. The brilliant, studious unicorn of both magic and science gave us a missing piece to a puzzle we hadn't solved: how and why could I perform magic? The stallion's gift -- the one on my desk right now -- explained everything. His book on legendary creatures of Equestria, coupled with his first-hand account of Conduits, specifically one named Merlin the Magician, told us of humanity's specialty. The tides turned the day Star Swirl the Bearded arrived. I wish that hacker never gained access to my laptop. The world knowing about these equines altered everything to an unacceptable degree. In the process, I was almost brought up on serious charges. Princess Celestia, I can never thank you enough for protecting me at the UN meeting, granting me Equestrian citizenship.

After the whole meeting with the UN and such, things took time to quiet down. In the interim, I still trained my butt off to better grasp magic and what I could wield. Unknown to me, Star Swirl the Bearded decided to "train" on his own and learned about the human world.

I know I love the word idiosyncrasies, but that unicorn stallion's idiosyncrasies irritate me to no end. Even now, how that little snot learned about credit cards and how to use them is beyond me. He had no right to use my card. Two-thousand dollars -- back to the... point! I learned of Star Swirl the Bearded's little experiment when the packages arrived on the doorstep. There was no way to cancel the two-thousand dollar order. Of course, now that I'm using his experiment, I "might" not have been so angry at the stallion if he told me about it. I'm amazed Star Swirl the Bearded studied Sweetie Belle's accident with the headphones and used it as inspiration to magically enchant a hearing aid. It's a two-thousand dollar prototype, but magical thought-to-text speech is nice.

That annoyance with the misappropriated money aside, Star Swirl the Bearded proved his prowess as a studious unicorn of magic. On a more lighthearted occasion that happened two weeks after his arrival, the stallion discovered my MMERDs spell and appeared enamored with it. He studied the spell relentlessly, asking me questions non-stop. I turned over fifteen pages of research. It couldn't quell is insatiable appetite. The brilliant stallion replicated in three days what had taken me so long to produce.

The more I checked in on Star Swirl the Bearded, the more he seemed entranced with his work. At the time, I had no idea what the stallion was cooking up: Star Swirl the Bearded, the studious unicorn of magic and science was about to perform a miracle.

Two weeks ago from this day, I remember how Scootaloo asked me, Apple Bloom, and Sweetie Belle to go with her to the main garden in Sanctuary. The pegasus filly stated Star Swirl the Bearded needed us. When we arrived, the filly told the three of us we were to act as final elements to an astounding feat in pony history, human history too when you counted me into the mix.

Early in the morning, around eight-thirty am, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and I gathered in Sanctuary's main garden alongside Scootaloo. In the serene garden two weeks ago from today, all of us found Princess Celestia, Sanctuary, and Star Swirl the Bearded standing near a circle. Star Swirl the Bearded told Scootaloo to step forward when we came closer. The unicorn stallion looked down at her. He asked if the pegasus filly was ready. A firm "yes" echoed throughout the garden, and I remember Scootaloo's wings quivering after that definitive yes. It appeared rather strange at the time. Her wings weren't quivering out of fear. The filly appeared excited as she crept forward, and then stood inside a small circle drawn into the dirt. Once inside the circle, I remember how the pegasus filly grinned from ear to ear.

That day, Princess Celestia, Sanctuary, and Star Swirl the Bearded stood at different points around Scootaloo. The unicorn stallion then had me, Sweetie Belle, and Apple Bloom stand at pre-positioned points as well. Star Swirl the Bearded told me, Sweetie Belle, and Apple Bloom about the plan to bind the improved MMERDs spell to Scootaloo and how it required six entities to help bind the spell to the one in the center. The three of us took no time nodding our heads and replying with our own firm "yes."

The air was tense that day, two weeks ago. I remember how all the hairs on my body stood on end. Princess Celestia, Sanctuary, and Star Swirl the Bearded illuminated their horns. Sweetie Belle's horn illuminated almost on instinct. Apple Bloom's mane glowed, and then her body. It came down to me, and I relaxed as Princess Celestia had taught me. My watch glowed, and then my body. Our combined, raw magical power caused the air to crackle with intense ethereal energy, but the energy didn't hurt. It wasn't like the time the portal scarred me. The warm energy enveloped connected to all of us.

Two weeks ago, I witnessed a miracle as a brilliant light surrounded Scootaloo. The pegasus filly floated into the air. The beautiful light penetrated her entire body. What appeared to last for seconds lasted for several minutes. The end neared, and Scootaloo floated gently to the ground. The light faded into the pegasus filly.

I cherish that day with all my heart. The water hardly ever ceased that day. Scootaloo hugged Princess Celestia, Sanctuary, Sweetie Belle, and Apple Bloom numerous times. Star Swirl the Bearded and I received a generous hug or three, too. Two weeks ago, a near impossible feat had been accomplished that amazed Princess Celestia herself: Star Swirl the Bearded, the brilliant, studious unicorn stallion had not only improved upon my MMERDs, he had managed bind my spell to Scootaloo's soul. I'll admit I had to grab a few tissues that day as I watched Scootaloo make the spell her own and zip around the garden. Now, like other pegasus ponies, she can fly to her heart's content and just needs to rest at night like others. I'm thankful such a minor thing could turn into a powerful gift, one that someone will always cherish.

As I repeat myself in these notes, Scootaloo attaining her dream is one memory I cherish with all my heart. Just like other memories though, there are new ones just waiting to be forged. The regal blue pony resting beside me right now as I "think" this entry up can attest to that notion.

The day after Scootaloo attained her dream, things were set in motion for a final addition to our group. Dinner that night ended on a heartwarming note when Princess Celestia pulled out a white box. It caused Asteria, the regal pony who's resting beside me, to raise an eyebrow. I won't forget the calm, serene moment. Our group's laughter and gossip that filled the dining room died down. At seven-thirty-five pm, I materialized the laptop. The Cutie Mark Crusaders, Sanctuary, myself, and Princess Celestia had cast their vote, all of us voting yes.

Time didn't creep forward or trudge onward. It went at a gentle pace.

On the night after Scootaloo attained her dream to fly, Asteria spoke to me and the mare's words materialized on the laptop. She held her hooves up to her mouth, tears raining down onto those hooves. The regal blue mare raised a shaky hoof that night, and then placed it on the ground. Princess Celestia illuminated her horn and materialized the statue of Princess Luna into the dining room. Princess Sanctuary illuminated her horn and materialized my watch still encased in the crystal. Asteria leapt forward with open hooves, phasing through the two ponies. Princess Celestia and Princess Sanctuary felt nothing. Asteria snickered to herself. I remember that night fondly because I bore witness to a second miracle.

My old watch glowed in a powerful dark-blue light before it phased into the statue of Princess Luna. The statue shed several stone shards, and then sprung to life. Asteria took several deep breaths. The pony shivered. Her nostrils flared. She shouted "thank you" at the top of her lungs to all of us. On that night, Asteria attained her dream. The mare, no longer bound to seeking out a host, gained a body of her own and true friends to cherish.

The night is also memorable to me since Asteria never left my side. Princess Celestia produced a bed to let Asteria sleep in my room. The days and nights that followed were awkward, but heartwarming. Heh, I'll always remember how Asteria behaved like such a child as she jumped, played, laughed, and darted about Sanctuary's main garden at times.

Asteria gaining her own body, Scootaloo obtaining her dream to fly, Princess Celestia and the others speaking with their loved ones during the holidays, these ponies have... they've given me so many heartfelt memories I hold close to my heart. It's why I find it hard to say goodbye to these ponies.

I don't want them to leave. I don't want to say goodbye in fear that I'll never see them again. Still, I promised to see them off. I'm the catalyst to the portal, and I refuse to let them --

"Hello?"

"I'm up here." I said. I better wipe my eyes. Princess Celestia seems like a worry wart anymore. Still, I can't blame her. She's going home and wants to make sure everything is alright. "Asteria's taking a small nap."

"I see, I will keep my voice down." Princess Celestia said. It's hard to believe how much time has passed. Feels just like yesterday this mare came into my life. "Are you free to talk?"

"Yea, I'm free. You alright?" I said. Princess Celestia seems a bit off. "You got something on your mind?"

My room is always quiet, but today feels a little more quiet than usual.

"Wolf, you're coming with me, you're coming with us to Equestria." Princess Celestia said. I... I must be -- her words are on the laptop though. I'm coming with you? "Yes my friend. After a lengthy conversation with the others, I feel it wise you come with us to Equestria."

I can't, I'm totally -- t-thank you, Princess Celestia.

"You are most welcome, my friend, however, I wish it were under happier circumstances." Princess Celestia said. I'm struggling to speak, but this hearing aid knows what words I want on the laptop. Princess Celestia just reads my words and -- sorry. "It's alright. Though I intended to leave you in this world with the portal in your room in Sanctuary connecting to Equestria, things have changed. I apologize for the last minute change, but I have given this a lot of thought. Your magical aptitude intrigues both me and Star Swirl, but those scars on your back frighten me. I fear without proper supervision, your magical power could grow out of control. That is why you will be coming with us to Equestria. We will help you learn to harness what power you've gained."

"P-Princess Celestia," I can feel the frog in my throat, "am I going to be ok?" I said. Princess Celestia shook her head. "Are you saying no, you don't know, or both?"

That look in her eyes, she doesn't know. She scared, and so am I.

"Princess Celestia, am I going to die?" I said. Princess Celestia bolted forward. She spread her wings and just hugged me. "I don't want to --"

"Wolf -- my dear friend -- I will do 'everything' in my power to protect you. I won't let anything harm you. I promise!" Princess Celestia said. When she uses my last name, it's serious. "With all my power, with all my might, I promise to keep you safe. I know it is last minute, but you must pack your things and be prepared. Today is the day we leave for Equestria. Alright?"

"I had hoped to go to Equestria, and I thought about it for some time. It's difficult, but I'm prepared to say goodbye." I said. This isn't how I wanted it, but it is what I wanted. I will not refuse it. I must stand on my own two feet. "I better get ready."

It looks like Princess Celestia will help me gather my things. Asteria is resting up for the trip. The others must have gathered their things. I'm scared out of my mind, but there's no time. I must believe in Princess Celestia. Today is no longer somber. It's a frantic race. I have four hours to gather my stuff, and then it's off to Equestria.

---End Entry---

>>>June 29th, 11:10am<<<

One last charge before the road. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo, you started something miraculous for me. Princesses Sanctuary and Princess Celestia, you've given me something beyond special. Star Swirl the Bearded, don't use my stuff without permission, alright. Also, thanks for the tutelage and I'll see you on the otherside. Princess Asteria, I'm glad you got your wish.

All of you, I can't wait to join you all on the otherside.

"Wolf, are you ready?" Star Swirl the Bearded said.

"Y-Yea, I'm ready." I said.

The air is definitely tense. We're going over the plan for a final time. I've shut off the water to the entire house, written up four hasty emails and fired them off to kill services, and, well, there's nothing for me to do except bring what little I can fit through the portal. As for the money, I say to heck with it.

"It's eleven-thirty-five am right now. We've been in contact with the others via the portal in your room in Sanctuary, Wolf. At twelve-ten pm, the portal will be opened. Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and then Sweetie Belle will go through the portal. Asteria and Sanctuary will go through once those fillies are safely on the other-side. Princess Celestia will be next, and then myself. You will be our anchor point, Wolf." Star Swirl the Bearded said. I nodded. The moment is creeping up fast. "I make this solemn promise to you. On my word as a sage of Equestria, you are coming with us."

"Right!" I said.

"D-Did ya'll say those goodbyes?" Apple Bloom placed her hoof on my hand. "Ah know it ain't easy."

"Yea, there sure are a lot of memories." Scootaloo said.

"We can always carry those memories with us." Sweetie Belle said.

I nodded to the fillies.

"I wouldn't make it any harder than it already is, girls. It is a huge last minute change for our friend." Princess Celestia said.

"Don't worry, mom. I have a feeling he'll be fine." Princess Sanctuary said.

"I agree," Princess Asteria winked at me, "he'll be fine."

"Hmm," I said. I gave all of them a firm nod. "I promise to get all of you home, and I'll be right behind you bringing up the rear."

"One heck of a rear to bring up behind Princess Celestia." Asteria said.

"Young lady!" Princess Celestia said. She snickered to herself. "Perhaps I do need to lay off the sweets. Be that as it may, getting back to the serious matter, I will keep my promise to protect you, my friend."

I stood up. I put my arm out. All of their hooves bumped against my fist.

"It's eleven-fifty-nine am. Time to get this show on the road and do my final checks." I said. Time to unplug this laptop. I just hope all this equipment makes it to Equestria in one piece. There isn't a repair shop that could possibly fix it. "Alright, I'm unpluging the laptop and shut it off. I'm ready to go when you all are ready."

Mom..., mom I'm heading off. It's time for me to spread my own... ehh "magical" wings and fly. I'll never forget everything you and dad have given me. I hope I've made you proud. Thank you, and goodbye.

---End Entry---

Author's Note:

It's been one weird wild ride, but I'm happy to finish this story. Closet Pony started off as one of those "what if" stories. There were and are chapters that never felt quite right. At the same time, I always wanted to end it on this lighter note where the human does go to Equestria with the others. I felt the last minute change adds that sense of urgency to it.

Right now, I'm kind of torn between adding in a prologue of sorts, yet I've also read prologues shouldn't be needed for stories. Stories should stand on their own merits with their own endings. So, maybe a prologue, maybe not?

Anyways, I want to thank all the readers out there for the advice on the story and helping me grow as a writer. It's been awesome. :rainbowdetermined2:

[Small Note: I've been working off and on with the update for two months. The final CMC episode pushed me hard, making me want to end the story on a proper note. I do feel the story is rather awkward ending like this, some probably won't like it, however, as said, I always wanted to end it on a happier note and felt this would help justify things with the protagonist's power growing to the point it could endanger their life.]

Comments ( 2 )

Not bad, but I wonder what is going to do the people in earth

I don't usually post comments, especially not negative ones, so I'll try to keep this light and concise.

The story starts off well written and entertaining, does a genre switch to haunted house/Scooby Doo/murder mystery for a few chapters, then devolves into incoherency. The time-stamps become ridiculous and events/moments become out of sync or teased like a podcast/YouTube video main point.
It feels to me that the author started off writing something they enjoyed; something that meant something to them. Then was praised for a couple stylized flares, and tried to incorporate them as much as possible. So much so that the voice of the story shifts dramatically to the point that finishing it after the Sanctuary arc felt like a chore.

A lot of nice ideas and a good collection of endearing moments, but they were smothered further into the story.

Login or register to comment