• Published 4th Jan 2015
  • 5,212 Views, 47 Comments

She's Shimmering - ellie_



Adagio Dazzle loves the way a particular fan shimmers.

  • ...
7
 47
 5,212

Eyes Only For Me

The heavy curtain ripples as I run my hand over the worn, heavy material, the familiar essence of sweat, tears and dust invading my space as I inhale deeply through my nose, eyes closed and shoulders back. Any murmurings of the crowd beyond the weighted fabric have been entirely silenced, the only sound accompanying me backstage the steady beating of my heart. Soon—soon—I will be beyond this musky, cramped space and out where I'm supposed to be—where I belong. Serenity settles over my mind at the thought that it's just mere seconds before the cycle will start all over again, and I caress the ruby gem hanging from my neck, all possibilities of nerves evaporating.

My hand suddenly wrenches forward and tightens on the curtain when the tell-tale clicking of the stage below me indicates that the show is about to start, and I feel the tranquil pumping in my chest crescendo. Lightning bolts cascade down my spine when I glance down in time to see the bold blue and purple lights stretching out from the stage to touch my shadow, accompanied by dregs of smoke. The mechanics whir and click right below me, and I cannot help the smile on my face, knowing that Aria and Sonata have already been risen to the stage, and I count to five before silently slipping between the fabric and stalking forward, the predator to my adoring prey. Then, I raise the mic up to my lips—take one more deep breath—and release all of my inhibitions.

Starting at pianissimo, I barely hear the hum myself as I take calculated, lethargic steps towards the front of the stage, my hips deliberately swaying to the tantalizing rhythm. As the crescendo builds, my members begin to harmonize with me, following my lead. Sonata's teal and Aria's violet lights fight for the spotlight, but there is no obvious competition once my dazzling gold spills out from behind me, the audience's faces illuminated in the glittering glow, admiration shining in their eyes as I come to a complete stand still.

A dramatic pause.

Thump thump.

A needed breath.

Thump thump.

My spotlight bathing me in it's golden glow.

Thump thump.

A smirk painted onto my lips.

And that's when the magic strikes.

The shock is tangible as the music blindsides the audience. Our voices—the very beings of our souls crafted over eons—intertwine flawlessly with such ease that I take time to let my gaze linger on the audience. I peruse the crowd as casually as possible, even so that my own members don't notice. But my eyes are meticulously searching and holding back from darting from face to face. All I want to—no, all I need to see—is that signature flash of scarlet and aureolin hair that is present at every performance.

Though it may seem as if I have no time nor care for my loyal and adoring fans, there is but one exception to that fact. The one who stands out from the rest, the flicker that turned into a flame. I do not know her name. I most certainly don't understand her character. All I truly know about her is that her hair is woven from fire itself. But...

But then I see her face. Her expression matches that of everyone in the crowd, but just...her. She's just different from the rest. Her very being seems to shine with a soft, tremulous light; her eyes so honest, so pure, it's sweeter than the very turbulent feelings I feed off of. To watch her face write pure, raw emotion is the definition of bliss itself.

Outstretching my hand, I curl my fingers seductively, the signature evocative nature of my dances driving the energy of the room upwards. I flutter my eyelashes over my cheekbones and watch through half-lidded eyes as they all fall deeper into our song. I can't help myself—a feral grin stretches over my lips as I drink in the attention, the taste of power almost cloying in this amount. Bodies sway, lips mouth our siren songs and sparks burst as the song approaches the end, my heart rate excelling as I briefly sweep my eyes over her and realize her eyes are only for me.

That wouldn't be the same if she knew the real me.

The thought is shattering as it is true. For no human, no mere mortal could even comprehend who I am let alone...accept it. Though I have never been ashamed of my true nature—a siren. But ever since she has started attending I can't help myself in questioning that statement. She is a precarious jewel dangled in front of me—close enough to taste but never within my physical grasp. And it bestirs in me something I've never felt before; longing. Heartache rapidly evolves into sheer rage, and I tilt my head back, belting out all of the ecstasy and fury built up over the song. The force makes my eyes flutter shut and my body shake as my voice echoes all around me. My pendant glows as the crowd roars their approval—hands clapping and voices screaming out, "Adagio!"—and I breathe the pleasure in deeply, a smile pulling at the corners of my mouth. Soon, a hand tugs at my wrist and I bow with my members, making sure to keep my eyes away from her.

Another pull at my hand indicates that it's time to return, and I take the lead backstage. A ponytail and a pair of pigtails continue without me once we're secured behind the curtain, and I make an offhanded excuse to stay as I remove my equipment. Placing my microphone on the small table, I glance around and make sure I'm alone before stalking towards the break in the curtain. I delicately part the heavy fabric, just enough for my right eye to peek out. My stomach jumps when I see a familiar girl still glued to her chair, lips pressed together and eyes a shining. She doesn't move for what seems a millennium, and I can't seem to move either, completely fascinated as I watch. Humans have never made sense, and she is no exception—she's even more bewildering. Why is she so special? How come she has an aura to her, one that almost glows? One of these days, I know I won't be able to resist her. It's only a matter of time—to desire and keep quiet is worse punishment than being banished to this awful world.

I recede further back when she suddenly stands up, a small smile adorning her pretty face as a crystal droplet runs off of her chin. I have an impulse to do something when she turns around, but I keep still as she walks up the stairs, skin glistening brighter than the ruby around my neck. I can't get over it, not sure if I should be puzzled or irritated by the way she shines. It's so soft—so subtle—but I can see it. I can see the way she is, how she...What is the word? She's..she's...

A small smile tugs at the sides of my mouth as she vanishes from the hall.

She's shimmering.

Author's Note:

So, I sort of gave into pressure and my own desires to continue this story and voila! There you have it folks—Adagio's POV! :yay:

Now, you may wonder. " Do you plan on making a sequel to this sequel? " And that answer is yes, yes I am :twilightsmile: Though it started out as a spontaneous drabble, I've sort of fallen in love with this semi-au I've created and want it to end on a less bitter note than longing love :pinkiehappy:

For now, enjoy the two little one-shots but I will soon be adding the third installment which may or may not be chaptered...

Ah, I've said too much! Anyways, I hope you liked/loved/loathed it and that you'll add your thoughts in the comments...Once again, really chill on the grammar to be artistic, but I always want to correct my spelling mistakes!

Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day~ :moustache:

Comments ( 47 )

*squee* This. Is. So. Gooood. :pinkiehappy:

I can't wait for the sequel to this sequel. :twilightsmile: It's going to be amazing! :heart::heart:

5463278
I sure hope so haha! I'm glad you liked it, thank youu :raritystarry::heart:

5463321
Haha thank you? :raritywink: And perhaps I am hinting at that - you'll see! Thank you so much~ :pinkiehappy:


5463344
Aww, that's alright - thank you for the comment now haha! And keep rambling, I really appreciate the effort you put into your comment. I hope I don't disappoint :moustache:

5463461
Thank you, thank you :twilightsmile:


5463480
Well...yay! I'm happy you're as excited as I am! Haha, thanks :pinkiehappy:

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyes!! Oh my goodness! This is amazing! Moar! (pwease :rainbowkiss: )

5463499
Most certainly :raritywink: aha thank you!

5463536
Sorry for the dilemma :rainbowlaugh: But I'm taking it that you enjoyed it, so thank you anyways~
And yes, RariJack will always be #1 otp haha

beautiful. simply beautiful.
If I had a bouquet of roses, I would throw it towards you.

wonder if Sunset would do something like that...

5463705
Why thank you, kind sir *accepts the bouquet* :moustache:
Adagio would be drowning in roses!

Awww! It's so cute! :heart: You making me like this ship a lot! Here, have a taco Sonata, you deserve her:
fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/293/8/6/taco_tuesday_by_ruhisu-d83j4t2.png
Now go and make a sequel for this sequel! :rainbowdetermined2:

5463791
Oh yes. You are slowly slipping under the SunDagio spell, and you don't even realize it!! :pinkiecrazy:
I-I mean..:rainbowderp:

Haha but all jokes aside, I'm glad you're enjoying it so far! And I will definitely be getting on it /salutes
Thanks! :raritystarry:

*flails* THIS IS SO AWESOME! :rainbowkiss:

5465075
And you're awesome! Thanks for reading :pinkiehappy:

5465087
Thank you! I cant wait for the next! I'm slowly dying of anticipation.

5465107
*gasp!* :rainbowderp:
Please don't die!!!
...
:rainbowlaugh:

Very glad to hear there's more on the way. I don't have ideal words to describe the character building approach here, so I'll just reiterate that I'm eager for more. =)

5466048
That is perfectly fine :pinkiesmile:
Thank you very much! :heart:

You've grabbed my attention with both of your stories on two separate occasions. As in, both times I was just surfing through the recently approved stories and was unknowingly drawn to a story made by you, TWICE. To top it all off you've only MADE two. I think its safe to say I will be looking forward to any future fics made by you. Have a Fluttershy :yay:

5466639
I will accept this Fluttershy and use it well :moustache:
And that's awesome!! Good to know that the website is truly working to my advantage. So I'm glad to have you and thank you very much for reading!
Glad you're looking forward to the sequel as much as I am :yay:
(See? I used it well!)

I'm so pleased to see this companion piece. And I love the symmetrical construction -- paragraph for paragraph in the middle section! That's awesome.

Really looking forward to the next part.

Oh, and since you clearly have some talent that is worth developing, here's some advice for the future: You might want to try varying the prose style depending on who's narrating. It's a really fun way to wring more characterisation out of a story.

5471100
Thank you very much for the advice :twilightsmile: I'm definitely trying because voice is important in differentiating each character's POV and just makes a story better as a whole, so I definitely agree with you! Besides that though, thanks for reading - I'm really glad you enjoyed it! :pinkiehappy:

5473994
I am a queen :raritywink: And yes, I have been hearing this recently - glad you think so! :heart:

Somehow, I missed this sequel. Gotta say, at first, I wasn't terribly keen on this alternate universe where the Dazzlings are apparently a famous girl group, but it has grown on me super fast since the first story. Not only that, but the way you put it together really holds my attention well. Due to several factors (like my suspicions that you are going places and the continuation of this continuity), you have earned yourself a follow. Congrats, and keep up the good work.

5490120
Oh wow, the pressure is on! :rainbowlaugh:
Thank you very much, for both the favorites and the watch - it is an honor! I sincerely hope your suspicions are correct and that you'll enjoy what I have in store for the third installment :pinkiehappy:
Ah, just thank you so much!

Ahh, so this is Adagio's POV from the first story. And it is somewhat of an AU! Good, good. :twilightsmile: Another beautifully written piece from you. I like how you captured Adagio's canon personality and intent along with the underlying tension. :)

My spotlight bathing me in it's golden glow.

*its

And it bestirs in me something I've never felt before; longing.

The semicolon should be a colon.

You also have the extra space before your quotation mark in the long description here as well. Otherwise, I found no other errors. Good work! :twilightsmile: I'll be following you in anticipation of the third story and more.

5537850
I read and loved both of your comments for the SunDagio series :pinkiehappy: Truly, it's an honor to have such an experienced, well liked and talented author paying attention to my stories! *fangirls into the sunset*
Really happy that you're anticipating the third installment as well! I'm hopefully going to get the first chapter up soon, which clarifies one of your questions from the first paragraph - this is a complete AU. Rainbow Rocks never happened, though the first EQG movie did!
Thank you for your comments and support and everything! :rainbowkiss::heart:

5537952

Rainbow Rocks never happened, though the first EQG movie did!

Ahhh, that explains it. :twilightsmile:

And you're quite welcome, my friend! :heart: Thank you for your compliments, and I will be patiently waiting for more of your work. :)

THIS IS A THING. GOD IS REAL.

5546056
I take it you enjoyed? Haha thank you very much Princess, you flatter too much! :twilightsheepish::heart:

GODDAMNIT i just read shes dazzlin and was about to go to sleep but NO... Oh dont you worry ima praise the shimmerin shit out of you!... Heheheh

Gr8 m8 r8 8/8 -IGN. Jesus christ man this has the potential of rivaling Austaeoh -wich is truly a work of art check it out- whitch is basically earth porn on a screen thats how discriptive these stories are and its not info dumped it just has the right amount of words to keep the reader satisfied i will definetly check other stories by you and give them praise but keep up the good work... OH YEAH! I FORGET here :moustache:

5551295
Haha I loved both of your comments for 'She's Dazzling' and 'She's Shimmering' :pinkiehappy: great puns btw! :rainbowkiss:

Thank you for reading and the compliments - you're too kind :heart:

And most importantly, thank you for my mustaches. I will wear them with pride! :moustache::moustache:

Can i expect more sumset sarsaparilla er... I mean sunset shimmer fics (to much fallout:twilightsheepish:)

5554106
Yeah! Not just the third installment, but maybe something more in the future sometime! :pinkiehappy:

So it would seem Adagio feels something for Sunset, that's a good sign at least though she obviously doesn't know that Sunset is a pony. I hope Sunset can come to accept her when she finds out she's a siren.

Well, time to read the next story.

5551295

earth porn

*Spit take* WHAT?!?! There's earth porn!!

5587627 yes and its very... Satisfying:derpytongue2:

I love it this whole thing, but I have a question... When is this whole thing happening or is it alternate universe kinda thing? I know it doesn't have it labeled as that but i'm curious to when this is happening? Doesn't make it any less amazing if you don't have an explanation. And you deserve these... TAKE THEM! :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

Ahh Never mind my question I find that in the next "Chapter" (as I am going to put it) Answers my question. :facehoof:

Moar.
If that's okay with you.
This is so short and full of details, and it includes my favorite pairing. So pweash continue when you can, for reading the two AdagioShimmer stories are amazing. :pinkiehappy:

This story could very much be the definition of Adagio's seducing yet predatory-like attitude. Like how an actual siren would be when drawing in their pray with their singing....only for their pray to crash themselves into disaster. Lost forever to the sea itself and it's ravaging, unforgiving tides.

To desire and keep quiet is worse punishment than being banished to this awful world. -Adagio Dazzle

I'm sorry but that line was too good to not make into a historical quote.:ajsmug:

5587627
Rule 34: No exceptions.

I have little else but praise for this sophisticated writing style

Chapters would be good, so you don't rush it. And you can post chapter after chapter resting and working your brain muscles in between, making each chapter beautiful; especially for this series.:ajsmug:

Login or register to comment