• Published 10th Feb 2015
  • 979 Views, 10 Comments

The Real Reason - North



Would you believe me if I said Sunset Shimmer went through the portal because of a meltdown over donuts?

  • ...
0
 10
 979

I DON'T CARE HOW, I WANT THEM NOW

Sunset Shimmer twitched, tapping her hoof against the floor.

They said they were quick, she thought in annoyance. It had been twenty minutes since she had placed a order for three chocolate glazed, one with sprinkles, from a new donuteria a couple blocks away via phone. Sunste had just (finally) mastered a particularly difficult spell, and while she waited for Princess Celestia to return from scouting for ponies with potential at the final admission test, she had decided to celebrate by throwing her healthy-food diet out the window.

Sunset glared suspiciously at the shiny black square in her hoof. She knew they did deliveries- it was stated on a sign outside the door- and they should have been here by now. Maybe it was faulty? She was pretty sure she had heard a voice on the other end agreeing to her order, but she still couldn't completely trust the device. Magic easily made itself understood in her mind, but electronics were an entirely different story.

Sunset shifted around in her seat. They said they were quick.

She sighed and stood. Twenty five minutes was much too long to wait for donuts. She needed the exercise anyway; if she was going to break her diet, she might as well burn as many calories as she could beforehand. Well, if the donuts wouldn't come to her, she would just have to come to them. As she walked away from her desk, Sunset tried to communicate an air of I'm-doing-something-important-not-picking-up- -donuts.

"Halt! State your business." A royal guard she had never seen before (probably new) stood firmly beside the door out of the main library.

Sunset Shimmer blinked and stopped, looking at the guard. Most of them recognized her as the Princess's student and let her pass without saying anything. She stammered, "Um, I ordered some donuts, but I've been waiting for twenty minutes without them showing up, so I'm going to get them."

The guard burst out laughing. "Kid, I congratulate you on however you got into the Royal Library in the Palace, but you're going to have to come up with a better excuse than that to-"

I'm not a kid! Sunset flared privately. She took a breath. "No, I'm really just going to get my donuts. Besides, you have to let me through, I'm the personal-" Sunset Shimmer started, only to be cut off.

"Oh really? Well, if that's the truth, would you be willing to tell that to Princess Cadence?" The guard exclaimed, clearly not having been listening to her at all. Sunset dimly remembered that Cadence was in Canterlot for some matchmaking convention. "No, wait, would you be willing to tell that to Princess Celestia?"

She flushed. She'd always to tried to be calm, focused, and determined in the Princess's presence, and she'd feel bad to interrupt her at this stressful time when she was considering ponies to be her personal students; Princess Celestia was always on edge at this time of year, trying to sort through hundreds of fillies and outraged parents parents besides. An unexpected problem could seriously strain her, especially a goofy and just plain pointless situation like this.

The guard, oblivious, immediately latched on to her blush.

"I knew it!" He smirked, looking way to pleased with himself.

Sunset Shimmer stomped her hoof in frustration and completely forgot about all the important Celestia-related things she was about to explain to him. "I'm telling the truth! Look, just let me by. I'll give you half a donut when I get back."

"No. I've got a job to do here." He said with a completely straight face.

Sunset stared incredulously. She checked a clock on the wall and shifted anxiously. The shop had a policy that if the person who ordered the donuts could not be found, after thirty minutes they would be made into free samples. How long had it already been?

"Come on, when's the last time you had a donut? Your half will be warm and buttery and fresh-"

"No."

What is it going to take to get past this guy?


Princess Celestia was ecstatic. After a long, dreary day stuffed full of fillies and colts who were no more powerful than any average pony, but packed to the brim with cockiness and ambition, she had been almost ready to give up.

But then she'd found Twilight Sparkle.

The violet filly had displayed realms of raw potential, to say nothing of the fact that her cutie mark was the symbol of magic. But she had still been modest and unassuming, even a little shy. Perfect.

Walking past the dark-toned bookshelves of the Royal Library, she couldn't wait to head back to her personal library and plan out a few lessons for Twilight-

"I'll give you the one with sprinkles! You like sprinkles, right? No, that's a trick question. EVERYONE likes sprinkles!"

The near-hysterical voice snapped Princess Celestia out of her lesson-planning reverie. She hurried around a towering bookshelf crammed with books on to see Sunset Shimmer pacing, mane frizzled, in front of a guard who looked like he was going to explode in giggles at any second.

"What could possibly make you NOT want a donut with sprinkles?" Sunset Shimmer screeched frenziedly. "Oh, never mind!"

Celestia watched in shock as her most faithful, most level-headed student shoved past the guard, running frantically into the hallway outside the library. She was completely still for a moment, then jerked herself into action to run after her, motioning to some by-standing guards who were peering at Sunset questioningly.

"She's clearly having some kind of breakdown! Get her to a hospital!" Celestia yelled.

"I'M GETTING MY DONUTS AND NO ONE IS GOING TO STOP ME!" Sunset Shimmer shrilled in response, and kept on running.

Celestia watched in alarm as the whole castle dissolved into chaos, completely disabled by the Princess's star student sprinting down the hall and screaming about donuts.

"WHY ARE YOU PONIES SO AGAINST DONUTS?!?" Sunset Shimmer screamed, still charging down the hallway.

Slowly, everypony stopped freaking out and began to heed Princess Celestia's orders, effectively creating a whole mob of ponies chasing Sunset. At least half of them didn't even know what the objective was, but they still doggedly pursued her through all kinds of rooms and situations.

"YOU PEOPLE ARE NUTS!" Sunset Shimmer crashed through the doorway of Cadence's Canterlot room, not even stopping. Behind her, the wave of ponies was still there, simultaneously following her and inspecting every inch of Cadence's room.

"She has the whole Daring Do series!"

"Look at all these clothes!"

"Hey, there's a secret cookie stash here-"

"She's right there!" The door to the bathroom slowly opened from the inside, revealing Cadence, levitating a toothbrush and wearing some Daring Do pajamas. Cadence's toothbrush was knocked out of her grasp by an out of control gray pegasus who was also following Sunset Shimmer.

"What are you doing here- GET AWAY FROM MY COOKIE STASH!" No one paid the slightest bit of mind.

Sunset Shimmer continued running, all the way back up to library which she had been running from in the first place. Then she saw the portal, peeking at her through a crack in the door on her left. Crazy idea time.

She kicked the door down and ran at the portal with everything she had. "You people are all freaking CRAZY here, but I'm not going to wait for my donuts, I want them now, and I'LL GET THEM ON THE OTHER SIDE-"

She disappeared through the portal.


One Year Later
"Sunset Shimmer. A former student of mine. She began her studies not long before Twilight," Celestia said.

"But..." Celestia hesitated, her mind flashing back to Sunset Shimmer running through the portal yelling about donuts, how she wanted her donuts now and didn't want to wait. "When she did not get what she wanted as quickly as she liked..."

Author's Note:

This whole thing is extremely silly, but it was the first thing that popped into my head when Princess Celestia said those words in Equestria Girls, the thought that Sunset Shimmer had. It's been bouncing around my mind ever since.
If I can think of a way to explain all that Sunset Shimmer does in the human world via donuts, I'll do it, but for now I've got nothing.
Except that maybe she is voted Fall Formal Princess because she inadvertently invents a new donut, called Sunset Sprinkle (orange glazing with LOTS of sprinkles), and it tastes so awesome it makes her really popular.
And the whole time her plan was to get back to Equestria so she could reclaim her lost donuts using her human army.
But that's just an idea.

Also, cookie to the first person who can point out where I put Derpy in this fic.

Comments ( 10 )

Lol how can you not like this story? XD It's a little choppy but it'll be polished and perfect for what happens next. XD

Derpy showed up toward the end, knocking away Luna's toothbrush. Cookie now?

Okay. This was a pretty fun read. You've earned an upvote. Now for the criticisms. First off…

looking way to pleased with himself

This should be "too". I've seen too many people make this elementary mistake to let it slide.

Second, why is Luna in this story? At this point in time, she should still be trapped on the moon.

For what it's worth, I would not have been as patient with that a$$hole guard. I'd have reacted like how Sunset did in her official backstory comic and just blasted him. Because doughnuts.

Yes, yes I would. That seems like a very pony thing to do.

Head canon accepted!

...Omgosh, what did I just read? XD Agreeing with Soufriere (now that they've pointed out the problem), Luna doesn't belong here. But I didn't notice at the time and thought it was funny. XD What a chaotic and interesting idea; bent on obtaining donuts.

Luna's toothbrush was knocked out of her grasp by an out of control gray pegasus who was also following Sunset Shimmer.

I do believe that's where Derpy showed up.

YOU PEOPLE ARE NUTS!

Shouldn't that be

YOU PONIES ARE NUTS!

I like this idea.

Login or register to comment