• Published 16th Nov 2014
  • 2,184 Views, 13 Comments

The Final Moments of Princess Celestia - Caligari87



Princess Celestia calls the Elements of Harmony to Canterlot for an urgent matter: She's dying of old age.

  • ...
5
 13
 2,184

Epilogue

Celestia didn’t know how long she was in the sun. Time passed differently here; space and physical being meant little. But gradually, maybe over hours, days, or even years, she felt her magic ebb away.

It was not bad. She let it go freely. She didn’t need it to sustain her mind any longer. It had been a gift, and she gave it back to light the sun all the brighter for the ponies below her.

Eventually, all but a little bit was all gone, and she herself began to fade away. She didn’t know what awaited. Maybe a new adventure. Maybe nothingness. Either way, she could not be sure. And that was not bad either.

And then... as she passed... she thought she heard the faintest strains of light, bubbling laughter, coming to greet her.

Comments ( 8 )

I'd hate to see Celestia go. My theory on immortality is that time doesn't effect your body but you can still die if you're body is to damaged to stay alive. Good story, by the way.

5276800

Mostly because I felt something in the dynamic had to change between the main characters. It is set about 25-30 years after season 4, and ponies probably don't live too long, especially one as high-strung and high-risk as Pinkie who's always speeding along at 105%.

That, and I accidentally wrote "the remaining Elements", but after noticing I figured I'd roll with it.

Well played, good sir. Well played.

5293349
Thanks MetaSkipper :)

5315220

Thank you very much for the kind words! I appreciate the niggles, constructive criticism is always good. I'll fix those "millennia" right away. As per the other two points:

* For Pinkie, I think at this point I'm not even sure what happened. Maybe it was an insane party accident, maybe a sugar overdose, I dunno. I felt it would be distracting to explain something that was already very well known to the characters, and wanted to let the readers fill in the blank themselves.

* This was a hard decision. If you ready very carefully, there's one or two minor sentences leftover from where I was going to subtly move the story to Twilight, and let her take over the focus of the narrative. It would have included what you're suggesting, and even now I feel it may have been a more compelling and emotional story. Unfortunately, I was writing seat-of-my-pants, and I couldn't quite make the transition work. For starters, it was far too raw and I was already torn up.

I ended up keeping the focus where it started, because while this is the beginning of a new chapter for Twilight, I was still writing the last chapter for Celestia, and didn't want to undercut that; the stage is too small. I suppose I could always integrate this into a new story with a bigger focus, but I feel that would cheapen the impact. This one-shot more or less wrote itself, and it feels kinda wrong to retconn it at this point. Besides, I have precious little time/energy, and I don't know if I have the dedication and inspiration to flesh out a 100k-word post-Celestia AU, which is probably only way to do it right.

Still, I don't want this to sound like I'm discrediting the input. You're right, it could be something more; I just don't know if I have that something.

5335928
Supposed to be Discord, but I like the sentiment about Pinkie; hadn't thought of that.

That was pretty sad. But the story was well written.

5429166
Pretty much as I explained in a previous comment, it kinda just happened. I didn't plan for it. It may also have something to do with the fact that I think Pinkie will be very difficult for me to write. Most of the other characters are on an understandable level for me. Not quite so, with her.

Login or register to comment