• Published 8th Nov 2014
  • 4,069 Views, 14 Comments

Sonata Dusk and Dusk Shine - Tennis Match Fan



Sonata Dusk and Dusk Shine discover they aren't too different.

  • ...
14
 14
 4,069

You Get The Feeling Pinkie Set This Up

"Here's another one for all you Canterlot Wondercolts!" Sonata Dusk watched the crowd cheer as Guest DJ Pinkie Pie spun another record on the turntables. The pink party animal was decked out in a bright blue headset, a blue top with white lacing, and a glittery pink skirt. The entire outfit was themed around balloons and hearts. Blue and purple streaks ran through Pinkie's poofy fuchsia hair. It was part of her "Rainbow Power" form, as Sonata and the rest of the student body had come to call the transformation.

Sonata sipped her strawberry milkshake quietly. She sat at a table in the back of the club. And while she usually loved to dance with the crowds, tonight Sonata was simply thinking about everything that had happened in the past couple of weeks.

After the Battle of the Bands, Sonata and the Dazzlings had repented. Surprisingly, the students of Canterlot High had forgiven them rather easily. Sonata liked to imagine it was because the remembered her amazing music before her voice had broken.

The real reason, however, was probably the fact that the Dazzlings (but mainly the Rainbooms) had shown the magic of music to the rest of the student body. Once several curious, inspired students had tried, they had discovered anyone and everyone could "Pony Up" with ears, tails, and an extra ability: telekinesis, wings, or magical hair that acted as an extra limb. Several students also gained "Rainbow Power" like Pinkie Pie, although under what circumstances Sonata wasn't fully aware of.

Then there was the matter of the Dazzlings. Every time Sonata thought of Adagio or Aria, she wanted to curl up on the spot and take a long stroll down memory lane. Powers gone, regular students now, the trio had drifted apart.

Sonata unconsciously gripped the handle of her cup tighter. She had wanted to stay friends with them. But no matter how hard she had tried to hang on, it just wasn't to be. Now Sonata was sitting alone when she should be dancing. What she really needed right now was a friend. Sonata stared at her cup, lost in her thoughts.

"Hey." When Sonata looked up, her heart suddenly fluttered. A lavender skinned boy with messy indigo hair stood in from of her, holding a latte in his hands.

"Hi!" Sonata responded, instantly perking up. Though she hadn't met many students, Dusk Shine stood out to her. He had shown up to CHS a few days after the Battle of the Bands, along with six other friends. Sonata had sometimes watched him study through the walls of bookshelves. Being air-headed and somewhat ditzy, it was a quality she admired.

"Can I sit down?" Dusk asked, motioning to the empty seat across from Sonata.

"Of course!" Sonata squeaked. "My name's Sonata, by the way."

"Yeah, I've seen you around," Dusk replied as he slid into the seat. Right before taking a sip of his latte, he added, "I'm Dusk Shine."

"I've seen you around," Sonata responded. They sat there for a moment. Sonata felt a twinge of nervousness at the lack of conversation.

"Soooooooooo, what's a studious guy like yourself doing at a wild party like this one?" She asked. Sonata's fingers drummed against the table in time to the music. Dusk grinned and set his latte down.

"Is that how I come across to everybody?" He asked. "An egg-head with no social life?"

"No way!" Sonata responded quickly. "It's just, um, whenever I pass by the library, you're inside studying!" Sonata took a big slurp of her milkshake. Dusk nodded in affirmation.

"That's me!" He agreed. "Studying, mostly. To answer your question, Sonata, Pinkie Pie here is the girl version of one of my friends, Bubble Berry. So when she invited me here, I thought I'd come.

"I'm also on a never-ending quest to make new friends!" He added. "And sitting here all alone, you look like you could use a friend, Sonata."

"I do, don't I?" Sonata sighed. "I mean, I just don't know what went wrong! Adagio and Aria and I, we just floated away like melodies on a breeze. Well, not literally, but that's beside the point. I know I could make new friends, and I should, but they've been with me since we were foals- I mean little kids." Sonata blushed and shifted in her seat. Dusk took another sip of his latte.

"Yeah, I get it. I mean, my older sister, she was my only friend for so long. When she left to join the army, I was on my own for a long time." He smiled. "Thank goodness I met the guys, though! I mean, I wouldn't be the guy I am today if it wasn't for them."

"For realzies!" Sonata agreed, using her favorite phrase. "As much as we were doing really bad stuff, Dagi and Ari had a big impact on me.

"And your sister," she added, "I can relate to that. 'Cause my little sister, I left her behind when I came here. I'll never see her again, though. No chance. Well, she has a counterpart here, but she's not really the same Mystery Mint I left at home. Besides, she's got her own Sonata sister. She doesn't need me. Am I rambling again?" Sonata tugged on a strand of her blue ponytail. "Sometimes I do that."

"Not at all," Dusk promised her. "Hey, Sonata, even if you won't be her 'real' sister, you can always try to be her friend." Sonata was pleasantly surprised when he reach across the table and took her hand.

"It looks like we share some common things," he commented.

"Like our names," Sonata replied absent mindedly, staring into his deep purple eyes. "Sonata Dusk and Dusk Shine."

"Hey, that's right!" Dusk laughed. "And our initials, too- SD and DS!" Sonata joined in his laughter.

"I haven't had this much fun since I split with the Dazzlings!" Sonata commented. "And the only thing we're doing is talking!"

"Talking to you is really fun, Sonata," Dusk responded, smiling gently. A light blush rose to Sonata's place cheeks.

"Thanks," she answered.

"Attention, everybody!" Pinkie Pie announced. Sonata and Dusk turned their attention to her. "You're totally not dressed for the occasion, but I'm Pinkie Pie and I don't care, I can do whatever I want!" Pinkie Pie's loud giggle rang out through her headset. "Right, whatever! Anyway, I'm going to play a sloow song!" A few cheers were mixed in with the numerous groans. Sonata saw several Ponified students return to their normal forms and head toward the refreshment stand.

"Wanna dance?" Dusk asked.

"I've never danced before- slow danced, that is," Sonata finished, amending her statement.

"I don't think that matters," Dusk responded, standing up and holding his hand out for Sonata. "I know you can dance really well, why would this be any different?"

"Oh, all right!" Sonata giggled. She took Dusk's hand, and the two of them walked onto the dance floor, along with two other couples.

Dusk had been right; Sonata was a dancer, and she instinctively knew what to do. She placed one hand on Dusk's shoulder. Dusk placed his hand on Sonata's back and the two clasped hands.

Pinkie Pie turned up her music. Even if she was a dancer, Sonata had no idea what she was doing. The only things she was aware of were Dusk, herself, and the tingling on the top of her scalp.

Sonata recognized the feeling. It was the feeling of pony ears replacing human ones, and blue hair lengthening into a second ponytail stemming from the first. The same thing had happened to Dusk, as well as the other dancers.

"This has happened before, but I never really concentrated on it," Dusk murmured. "It feels weird." Sonata laughed softly.

"You'll get used to it, for the short time they're on your head," she answered.

Sonata Dusk impulsively leaned forward and kissed Dusk Shine on the lips.

Pinkie Pie smiled sweetly and leaned on her turntables, watching.

"I totally need to call Berry."

Author's Note:

I wrote this while listening to Misery Business by Paramore.
This is my new OTP. So cute!
Also, I had to look up "How to Slow Dance" so I didn't get anything wrong. So time consuming! :trollestia: Anyway, about the transformations. It's my headcanon that anyone and everyone can Pony up, but under what circumstances I'm not fully aware of. But screw, I like draw pony-people dancing!
Please up vote if you like it, it means a lot to me, and if you didn't like it, explain why, please! Romances aren't my strong suit, and I'm always looking to improve! Thankies!

Comments ( 14 )

I think the title is good. I have never before heard of Dusk Shine and so it drew me too it yelling " Read me I'm short and a great story! ) I like these short stories it means I can read some before bed without getting into a series! I hope this is short and good like Bangarang!( http://www.fimfiction.net/story/214550/bangarang )
Update 1: I JUST realized this is Incomplete!

5242191 Thanks for reminding me, it is complete, but I always forget to mark it complete!

Dan

5242191

You never read Cross and Arrow? It's been one of the must-read standards since the very beginning.

Not bad. It'll be a while before I'm entirely invested on this shipping, but the story's good. :pinkiesmile:

love rule 63 and i was wondering when someone was going to do this ship

Well it was good! I liked it a lot it could maybe use some description on why the other students turn ponifyed. Other than that it was really great an i like the ship and concept!
Also a spell check. I saw some in spelled words.

New headcanon: Berry and Pinkie are dimension-hopping shippers :pinkiecrazy:

5244010 I wouldn't put anything past them!

Found a very minor thing you may want to edit.

Sonata liked to imagine it was because the remembered her amazing music before her voice had broken.

That should be "they".

I like this story, and

"I do, don't I?" Sonata sighed. "I mean, I just don't know what went wrong!

Where's Derpy?

5253590 Derpy was replaced by an eviler, cuter waifu. :pinkiecrazy:
I'm just kidding. Reference for reference's sake! :pinkiesmile:

5242678 http://www.fimfiction.net/story/755/on-a-cross-and-arrow is that the right story if not can you give me the link?

Nice work.

Login or register to comment