• Published 15th Apr 2012
  • 1,276 Views, 29 Comments

Sweet Irony - AssertiveFluttershy



Pinkie Pie gets some ironic news. She has Type 1 Diabetes. How will she cope and handle this change?

  • ...
0
 29
 1,276

Chapter One: Diagnosis

Horse M.D looked up from his patient files with a grim expression.

“Pinkie I have some good and bad news.”

Pinkie looked quizzically back at him.

“I'm still getting the shudders. Oo-o-oh, oo-o-oh.” Her tail twitched spastically. “You see? There it is again. Whatever the bad news is it can’t be that bad, my Pinkie Sense is telling me the worst hasn’t happened yet. So tell me the bad news first Doc I can handle it!”

Horse just stared at her and the idea of such a belief that she could predict anything with a ‘Pinkie Sense’

“There's nothing in this world that can't be explained, eventually, and that ‘twitch’ is your body shutting down due to Type 1 Diabetes. After a few dietary changes with exercise you should have little to worry about. Oh and there will be the insulin injections you will have to take at least five times a day.”

Pinkie did not seem fazed at all.

Horse continued.

“You are going to have to count carbohydrates for everything you eat. Starting off we will need to keep you on a lower carbohydrate diet to make sure we get things in control. Before you eat anything you will have to test your blood sugar on a monitor and record your readings in a log book along with the amount of carbohydrates you will be eating. A good meter reading is anything from eighty to one hundred and twenty. The nurse will explain more later.”

Pinkie seemed to be listening and chimed in with a question.

“I will have to count carbo-what-drates?”

Horse looked at her with no amusement.

“Carbohydrates, everything you eat prepackaged will come with a nutrition values chart on the back and for any unpackaged foods we have a book here listing the carbohydrate values. The book should have most foods in it but if there is any question we have a nutritionist on staff that will be more than willing to help. Now we want you to limit you to three meals a day of exactly fifty carbohydrates. This is more carbohydrates than most ponies but you seem to lead a very active lifestyle with parades and what not.”

Horse rolled his eyes at his own statement.

“So how much cake is that?”

“None”

“WHAAAT?!?!?!”

Pinkie Pie was now showing the reactions expected for the recent news.

Horse seemed pleased that something got through to her.

“You shouldn’t worry. Things will get easier with time and soon you won’t miss things like cake, or candy, or cupcakes, or punch, or apple cider, or muffins, or pudding, or éclairs, or moose moose’s, or donuts, or anything that any young filly would live off of but know better than to live off of sugar.”

“But Doc, I can’t LIVE without yummy scrumptious candies or cakes, I would die in less than an hour!”

“Pinkie it is just the opposite. If you do eat more sugar than you are supposed to you will get really sick. You could get complications when you get older. You wouldn’t want to lose your tail or even worse a hoof, now would you?”

Pinkie looked dejected and simply nodded in agreement with the doctor.

“I guess not.”

Horse continued,

“Well we will have a nurse come in and explain how to use your new meter and to give yourself shots. You will have to give yourself one shot right before bed of twenty one units of the insulin called Flyntus. You will also need to take twenty five units of Hoofalog before every meal. The nurse will explain everything in detail so you can take good care of yourself. I will want to see you back here in three weeks to make sure everything is working out. Please call us if there is anything you have a question about.”

Pinkie Pie looked up from staring at the floor with a depressed look.

“Hey Doc I have one last question. What was the good news?”

Horse grinned,

“I almost forgot! The good news is it’s not lupus!”

With that Horse M.D left pinkie in the small hospital room. Not more than three minutes later Nurse Redheart came in with a large saddlebag full of instructions and medications. After the thirty minute debriefing on what exactly Pinkie would have to do to stay healthy and happy. Pinkie signed all of her release papers and glumly walked out of the hospital.

Pinkie walked through Ponyville rather un-Pinkie like. She thought to herself, ‘This can’t be too bad, I mean other ponies have to deal with this and they get along just fine. Right? I have my friends to help me through this! They will all help and support me!’ Just as she finished this train of thought she passed the town square where the Cutie Mark Crusaders were making their latest attempt at getting their cutie marks. They had entered Ponyvilles Annual Belmont Cream Pie eating contest. Sweetie Belle, Apple Blossom and Scootaloo were all tied for the win at twenty six pies each. Pinkie thought to herself, ‘I could outdo them! My record was fifty nine pies!’ Suddenly she realized she was drooling. She was fighting every urge in her body to go and show everypony how it was done. She knew the doctor said she couldn’t eat those kinds of things anymore, but how could anypony ask somepony to just stop living? Sweets were her life and without them she was not the bouncy pony she was known to be.

Feeling more depressed and alone as ever she had to turn and walk away from the contest. She started humming to herself to try and pick up her spirits. She then meekly began to sing one of her favorite songs for support and encouragement.
In a sad, depressed and almost on the verge of tears Pinkie sang.

“Come on, everypony, smile, smile, smile.
Fill my heart up with sunshine, sunshine.
All I really need is a smile, smile, smile,
From these happy friends of mine!
It’s a perfect gift for me,
Is a smile as wide as a mile!
To make me happy as can be!
Smile, smile, smile, smile, smile!
Come on and smile…
Come on and smile……………”

Comments ( 29 )

I admit, I laughed.

...I am a terrible person.

you trolled Pinkie :trollestia:

*reveils Diabetic dog tags* Welcome to the club Pinkie.

If she had Type I diabetes, she would have died long ago. She could very easily have Type II, which one gets from overloading their insulin glands, but she wouldn't have lasted anywhere near as long as she has with Type I.

Type 1 Diabetes can appear at any time with no warning or causes. So that allows Pinkie to have her love affair with sweets up until now, without harm. She has to change her ways now that she found out or else things will be disastrous.
Although having type two would make more sense for her previous lifestyle, i thought type one would be a little different for story purposes.

BR

"At least its not lupus.."

House you asshole

Diabetes. You got to the wrong pony.

*picks up a heavy cannon*

looks like a promising story! I shall follow!

I lol`ed at the title i admit. I nearly died halfway through the story

Type 1 diabetes is a pony's plot to live with. I wanted to join the RAF.:raritycry:

This was a very sweet peice of irony. Pardon the pun. But yes quite a horrible thing to happen to anypony, my aunt died of complications with type 1 when she was in her late twenties. :heart:
This should be interesting how you are going to take it. :pinkiehappy:

This is type 2 diabetes. Sucks to be you Pinkie.:fluttercry:

457750 No, Type 1 diabetes can occur sponteneously, and if it were Type 2, then Pinkie would be dead by now, and so would Applejack.:ajbemused:

457797
I will most certainly back you up on that.
Type 2 is caused by eating too many sweets.
Type 1 is random and has no fix to it.

457857
457797

I DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING!!!:fluttershbad:

457870 Don't feel bad Bronies, Love and Tolerate everyone. :pinkiehappy:

457870
Sorry if it sounded mean.......just clarifying
Pinkie smile fix things? :pinkiehappy:

457870 Meesa sorry...:pinkiesad2:

Poor Pinkie Pie! :rainbowlaugh::pinkiesad2:

This...

This will probably be an awesome story. A story that deals with something like this, but serious? Damn, that's rare.

I salute you, my brony.

457167 Ya know, I think your avatar is more than a valid reason for her survival.

1305857 It says screw physics, not biology. There's a difference.

no Donuts.. no Cider :pinkiegasp:
Life is over :pinkiesad2::applecry::fluttercry::raritycry:

poor Pinkie :pinkiesad2:

type 1 Diabetes sure is a drag and i know i got it.

although you can live somewhat a normal life when you have it under control and have the blood sugar on a good value.

also you can eat sweets etc but not much plus you gotta of course inject yourself with appropriate amount of insulin for what you eat.

but not too much or your values can drop too low and you can faint due to the low blood sugar value and some cases die if not helped.

keeping blood sugar value above 4.0 and under 7.0 is ideal tho keeping it under 10.0 is ok too if you can keep it under 7.0.

well anyway hang in there Pinkie since there are sugarfree sweets out there that taste just as sweet as normal sweets tho im more fan of nuts :pinkiesmile:

hi,

from what I heard type 1 is hereditary and uncommon
type 2 is more common and based on lifestyle (i.e. sugar consumption and obesity)
my mother's friend has three sons-two of which are diabetic (one type 1 and the other type 2)
and yes, House. that was a bit dickish. amusing though.

When's the next chapter?

Login or register to comment