• Published 18th Jul 2014
  • 1,154 Views, 33 Comments

My Little Foils - Purplescales42



So what happens when some of Equestria's most selfish residents have to become the heroes? Hopefully, not the end of the world as we know it.

  • ...
1
 33
 1,154

Loss in Las Pegasus

It was a rainy Saturday morning in Ponyville, the perfect type of morning to just sleep in. Trixie was doing just that, lying comfortably in her cozy bed with her warm blanket draped over her and her head resting on her favorite pillow. Today her bedding seemed extra comfy for whatever reason. Not that she was going to complain. As far as she was concerned, she could sleep the whole day.

*KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK!*

So of course the door had to knock. Sure, why not? Trixie gave an annoyed growl and looked over at Scales who was curled up in his basket not at all bothered by the noise. For a moment, Trixie considered waking him up, but Scales was always cranky when he didn’t wake up on his own. She’d take obnoxious door knocking over a cranky baby dragon any day.

*KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK!*

Though today she might make an exception. Trixie thought about getting up, but none of her limbs felt like moving. It was almost like her bed got even cozier all of a sudden.

*KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK!*

“Trixie?” called the familiar voice of Flim. For a second, Trixie considered forcing herself out of bed. He was one of her friends after all. Maybe he finally wanted to plan that date he asked her out on. She started to lift her head off of her pillow but immediately missed its soft, cushiony feel. She plopped her head back down. She could talk to Flim later.

“Are you in there, Trixie?” called Flam. They were both here? What did they want that required them to come out in the rain? Well, whatever it was, it could probably wait, right?

“We have some exciting news for you!” Flim said. Unless, somepony was dying, Trixie didn’t really care.

“We managed to book you a show!” Flam added. That was almost worth getting out of bed, but they could give her the details later. Maybe if she ignored them they would go away. It was silent for a moment. Trixie wondered if the twins had somehow telepathically read her mind to see what she wanted. She shuttered at the thought of her friends being able to read her mind.

“It’s a show in Las Pegasus!” both twins shouted. Oh, that was just unfair. Immediately, Trixie pulled herself out of bed and went to answer the door, making sure not to disturb Scales as she left the bedroom. She opened the front door and saw both twins with huge grins on their faces and soaked to the bone. Flam’s mustache was drooping like it was about to fall off his face.

“Told you that’d get her up,” Flim said elbowing his brother’s side. Flam rolled his eyes.

“Yes, yes, I owe five bits.”

“Okay, petty bets aside,” Trixie interrupted, “you two got me a show in Las Pegasus?” Both twins glanced at each other a little nervously.

“Weeeell. . .sort of,” Flam said. Trixie raised a brow.

“What do you mean sort of?” Trixie asked. There was a rumble of thunder. “Hold that thought, come inside first.” She let the twins entered the house and got them a couple of towels to dry themselves off. She sat on the couch and looked at them. “Now, do you two care to elaborate?”

“Well, we found an opening for a show in Las Pegasus,” Flam said. He rubbed his mane with the towel as he spoke. Flim nodded as he rubbed his legs dry.

“It’s nothing too big, unfortunately, but we figured any chance to perform in a hot spot like Las Pegasus was a good one.” Trixie nodded. She couldn’t disagree with that argument.

“So what are my chances?” she asked. Flim finished drying off and sat next to Trixie on the couch putting a hoof over her shoulder.

“With the two of us as your agents? I’d say 110% at least,” he said. Flam sat on a chair across from the couch and tapped his chin.

“115% if we pull a few strings,” he said. Trixie smiled and rolled her eyes. The twins were nothing if not confident. However, she was a bit uneasy.

“What exactly do you mean by ‘pull a few strings?’” she asked them.

“We have ways of making things work out in our favor.”

“They don’t involve anything shady do they?” The twins just looked at each other silently. Trixie sighed. “Look, fellas, I’m glad you two are trying to help. I really mean that. However, I need to know you two won’t do anything dishonest.” Flim looked nervously at his brother who rubbed the back of his neck. “I need to know I can trust you guys.” Flim smiled and sat up straight.

“Trixie, we give you our solemn vow that we will be nothing but professional and honest throughout this entire ordeal.”

“You promise?” Trixie asked. Flam nodded.

“We promise,” he said. Trixie smiled. She then heard an irritated groan from her bedroom followed by a groggy Scales walking into the living room.

“Hrm, what’s with all the talking? I’m trying to sleep!” he shouted. Trixie sighed. So much for her relaxing Saturday morning.

Four days later. . .

The twins approached the manager’s office of Spotlight Hall, one of Las Pegasus’ theaters. Not the fanciest or most famous, but it definitely wasn’t shabby. Both of the twins were confident Trixie could put on a spectacular show here if she was given the chance.

“Ready to book Trixie her first gig?” Flam asked. Flim nodded.

“Let’s do this.” He knocked on the door.

“Come in,” replied a feminine voice from the other side. Flim opened the door and saw a gray, middle-aged mare with a white mane and a blue business suit. Her flank was exposed revealing a spotlight Cutie Mark.

“Miss Spotlight, I presume?” Flim asked. The mare nodded.

“Yes, and who are you two?” she asked. The twins entered the room, took off their hats, and gave a slight bow.

“Flim and Flam at your service,” Flim said.

“We’re here to book you the best show this theater has ever seen!” Flam added.

“I’ll be the judge of that,” Spotlight said. She didn’t sound very impressed. “Now take a seat and tell me why I should let your friend perform?” The twins looked at each other. They knew that Spotlight wasn’t going to be an easy client to persuade. They sat in the two seats across from her desk and put their hats back on.

“Right to the chase,” Flam said. “I like that! We’ll allow us to be upfront.”

“Our friend, Trixie, is perhaps one of the most, no, the most talented act you will ever see!” Flim said. “Her magic shows are beyond compare.” Spotlight raised a brow.

“I’ve admit I’ve heard of your friend recently,” she said, “but that’s just it. It’s been only recent. If your friend is as good as you say I would have heard of her long before now.” Flim narrowed his eyes at Spotlight and was about to say something (likely very foolish) when Flam interrupted putting a hoof on his brother’s chest.

“To be fair, Miss Spotlight, Trixie didn’t have access to an agent before. She had to use what little resources that were at hoof. If you need convincing, we’ve taken the liberty of gathering up references and reviews of previous shows.” He pulled out a file from under his vest and gave it to Spotlight. The elder mare put on a pair of glasses and read the papers over.

“These are indeed very positive reviews. Also, Trixie popularity with the recent Nightmare Moon event would make anyone want to snatch her up to perform for them.”

“That’s what we were thinking,” Flim said. “No disrespect, Miss Spotlight, but your theater isn’t exactly the most well-known compared to others in this town. Booking Trixie could bring a lot of publicity your way.” Spotlight just gave him a blank stare and handed the file back to Flam.

“That is true, but I’ve only inherited this theater recently and while under my management, I will only hire the acts that I know are good. I’ve never seen Trixie perform before and I won’t simply take somepony else’s word for it alone.”

“Well, that’s a simple fix!” Flam said. “Let us bring Trixie here and put on a show for you.” Spotlight shook her head.

“I’m afraid I don’t have the time. I’ve recently been contacted by another agent who has a very promising act to give.” The twins looked at each other than back at Spotlight and raised a brow.

“And who would that be?” Flam asked.

“A Miss Dazzler.” Spotlight pulled out a sheet of paper and handed it to Flam who read it over. Flim looked over to see it. “Unlike your friend, Dazzler is fairly well known and has performed in this city even. I’ve seen a couple of her shows and I know she would bring at least as much of an audience as Trixie would. I’m sorry you two had to come all the way out here just to be turned down. Perhaps some other time.” Flim wanted to start chewing Spotlight out, but luckily Flam spoke up.

“No trouble at all, Miss Spotlight. These things happen. Thank you for your time.” Spotlight smiled and nodded and the twins left. Flam shut the door behind them and looked at Flim who was starting to pace back and forth.

“This isn’t fair!” he said almost shouting. Flam stuffed his hoof in Flim’s mouth.

“Keep it down, Flim, we need to be professional about this!”

“But this is stupid,” Flim said keeping his voice hushed. “Trixie would bring in twice the publicity Dazzler would.”

“Sure you’re not being a little biased?” Flam asked. Flim averted his brother’s gaze and didn’t reply. “Look, I know it’s frustrating. We lucked out on this one. We’ll get another chance.” Flim scoffed as the two left the theater.

“’Lucked out’ is putting it lightly. Spotlight probably didn’t even want to give us the time of day. And since when do the two of us not get what we want? Were the Flim Flam Brothers! We always get our way in the end.”

“That’s usually because we cheated our way to the top,” Flam reminded him.

“I always thought of it as pulling a couple strings.”

“Call it what you will, but the point is we promised Trixie that we wouldn’t do anything morally questionable.” Flam sighed in defeat.

“I know. You’re right.” Flam put a hoof over his brother’s shoulder.

“Hey, don’t get so down. Look, we don’t have to go back to Ponyville right this instant. We’re in Las Pegasus. Let’s have a little fun while we’re here, eh?” Flim smiled and nodded. “That’s my brother! C’mon, let’s go see what this city has to offer.

***

Four hours, and a few gambling games later, both twins were feeling a little hungry. Flim offered to go get lunch while Flam played with the slot machines. As Flim made his way through the casino, he was bumped into by a green Earth Pony stallion with a matching mane and a book for a Cutie Mark. The stallion looked up at him apologetically.

“Oh, I’m sorry, Sir,” he apologized.

“No problem,” Flam assured. He looked at the Earth Pony. The stallion seemed rather upset about something. “Pardon my asking, but are you feeling alright, Sir?” The stallion sighed.

“It’s that obvious, huh?” Flim shrugged.

“Is it anything I can help with?”

“Doubt it. Unless you like paying off gambling debts.”

“I can pay for lunch,” Flim offered. “I’m not having the best day either. Let us wallow in our shared misery, my treat.” The stallion chuckled.

“I suppose I can’t refuse an offer like that.” The two left the casino and began to walk down the sidewalk.

“Mind if I ask your name?” Flim asked.

“Booker,” the stallion replied.

“What do you do?”

“Well, for the time being, I’m an agent for a showpony.”

“Really? So am I. Part time anyway.”

“That so? Huh, small world. Who’s your client.”

“Trixie Lulamoon.” Booker just raised an eyebrow.

“Never heard of her.” Flim gave a slightly frustrated sigh.

“You probably will soon,” he said. “So, who’s yours?”

“My wife actually. Her name’s Dazzler.” Flim stopped dead in his tracks. Booker stopped and looked back at him. “You’ve heard of her I take it?” A small smile was on his face. Flim nodded and started walking again.

“I have actually. But why do you say you’ll only be her agent for the time being?”

“Because after she hears I’ve gotten back into my old gambling habits, she’ll probably fire me, and that’s if I’m lucky. I don’t even want to see her reaction when she hears how many bits I lost.”

“Maybe I can help,” Flim offered. Booker raised a brow.

“You’d do that?”

“Well. . .you’d have to do a little something for me.”

“Nothing illegal is it?”

“Oh, hardly. Just a little favor.”

Two days later. . .

Trixie and Scales waited at the train station for the two o’ clock arrival. Trixie was impatiently tapping her hoof. Annoyed at the sound, Scales reached out a claw and held her hoof to stop it. “Calm down,” he said. Trixie smiled sheepishly.

“Sorry, Scales, I’m just really anxious.” Scales looked at her with a deadpan expression.

“I noticed.”

“I’ve never had to rely on anypony else to book me a gig before. I just hope they didn’t have too much trouble. I really hope they didn’t do anything unethical.”

“Why do you care so much about that?” Scales asked. “You used to do whatever it took to get to the top.”

“I wasn’t supposed to set the example for everyone else back then. But things are different now. The others and I all have a new responsibility to set the ethical standard.”

“Do you not think the twins can do that?” Trixie sighed.

“It’s not that I don’t think they can, but it isn’t easy. Not for any of us. We’ve all spent our lives looking out for just ourselves. Well, Maud might be the exception, but the rest of us weren’t exactly hero material. We have a chance to change that now. I just don’t want them to abuse it.”

“Ah, you worry too much.” The sound of a train whistle alerted the two to the arrival of their friends. The train pulled up to the station and came to a halt. The doors opened allowing the passengers to pour out. Trixie and Scales scanned the crowds for their friends.

“Looking for someone?” somepony asked. Trixie looked over her shoulder.

“Yeah, we’re-” she stopped when she noticed it was Flim who was speaking. He and Flam were standing behind Trixie and Scales with smiles on their faces. “Very funny, guys,” Trixie said with a chuckle. The group began walking away from the station and through Ponyville. “So, what’s the word?”

“Well, we have good news and bad news,” Flam said. Trixie and Scales looked worried. “The bad news is that someone else was already booked to perform.”

“Oh,” said Trixie. She looked down at the ground. “Well, I guess-”

“The good news,” Flim interrupted, “is that they cancelled and you got the gig instead.” Trixie squealed in delight and hugged both twins.

“Oh, you two are the best!” she said.

“Well, we kind of got lucky,” Flam pointed out.

“Still they wouldn’t have known about me if it weren’t for you two.” Trixie pulled away and smiled at her friends. “You know I kind of doubted you.”

“Really?” Flam asked.

“Well, I kind of thought you two would go back to your old ways to land me this gig.” Trixie rubbed the back of her neck. “I should have trusted you two, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. It was tempting to try and pull of our old tricks, right Flim?” Flim looked at his brother then at Trixie before chuckling nervously.

“Yep, but we didn’t.” He quickly cleared his throat before smiling again. Flam raised a brow.

“Are you feeling okay? You’ve been acting funny.”

“Pfft, of course I’m okay. Don’t worry about me.”

“I know what might make you feel better,” Trixie said. “How about we all go and get some ice cream?” Scales let out a loud gasp in excitement.

“With sapphire sprinkles?” he asked. Trixie chuckled as she lifted him onto her back.

“We’ll see what they have.” The group changed course to Sugar Cube Corner. Flam looked at his brother who was remaining awfully quiet. Flim loved getting free things, especially ice cream. So shy did he still look nervous? There was something Flim wasn’t telling him.

***

Later that day, Flim and Flam went home. Flim entered their house first and plopped down on the sofa and let out a relieved sigh. Flam eyed his brother as he shut the front door. Flim caught his brother looking at him and pulled his hat over his eyes attempting to pretend to sleep.

“Hmph,” Flam greeted. He put his hat on the hat stand, walked over to Flim, and pulled his hat off. Flim opened an eye.

“Problem?” he asked.

“You tell me.”

“I have no idea what you are talking about.” Flim took his hat back and placed it back over his eyes. Flam immediately snatched the hat away and threw it aside.

“Stop playing dumb. You know you can’t lie to me. I know you too well. You did something. What was it?”

“It’s nothing important.”

“Fliiim,” Flam said in a warning tone. “Does it have something to do with Trixie getting Dazzler’s spot? ‘Cause I have to admit you were awfully calm when we got the news.”

“So what, I have to be elated at everything that involves Trixie?”

“I’m not saying that but given how upset you were-”

“How about you mind your own business?” Flam was surprised at his brother’s outburst.

“Why are you being so evasive?” Flam asked. “I thought we were always honest with each other.” Flim looked away.

“W-we are.”

“Then out with it. What did you do?” Flim was still looking away.

“N-nothing.” Flam sighed in frustration.

“You know what? Fine. Be that way.” He started to walk off to his room. “I hope you can live with whatever it is you’re hiding.”

One week later. . .

“Thank you, thank you,” Trixie said to her audience. “It is Trixie’s honor to perform for such a fabulous audience!” The crowd cheered loudly and some of the audience members tossed roses at her. Trixie went backstage where, Scales, the twins, and Spotlight were waiting. Spotlight approached Trixie with a content smile.

“I must say, Miss Lulamoon, that performance was spectacular.” Trixie and Scales smiled at her.

“Thanks. Scales and I did our best to make a good first impression.”

“Well, you certainly have.” Spotlight looked back at the twins. “I believe I owe you two an apology.”

“I’ll say,” Flim muttered under his breath. Flam elbowed him in the side.

“No need for apologies,” Flam said. “It was nothing personal, right?” Spotlight nodded. Just then, a golden colored Earth Pony mare with a magic wand Cutie Mark approached the group followed by a familiar green stallion, Flim was not too happy to see.

“Dazzler?” Spotlight asked. “What are you doing here? I thought there was an emergency in your family.” Dazzler looked back at Booker who quickly looked away.

“Is that what you told them?” Dazzler asked. Dazzler looked back at Spotlight. “Booker here told me that your studio was closed due to repairs.”

“Well, you can obviously see that isn’t the case.”

“Obviously.” Dazzler approached Trixie and Scales. “Booker seemed awfully keen on leaving before tonight. The night I was supposed to perform here. So, I got suspicious and decided to come. Not only do I find the theatre in tip top shape, I find my gig has been stolen out from underneath me.” Her voice was getting loud. Scales was quick to stand between Dazzler and Trixie ready to act in case something went wrong. Trixie put a hoof on his shoulder.

“It’s okay, Scales,” she said. Trixie turned her attention back to Dazzler. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. My agents told me you cancelled your performance.” Dazzler glared at her.

“I never cancel a performance.” Trixie looked past Dazzler at the twins.

“I’m just telling her what you told me. You didn’t lie to me did you?” Flam shook his head.

“Of course not!” he said. “Flim and I made a promise. No dirty tricks. Spotlight came to us.” Flim just gulped.

“It’s true,” Spolight said, “but I already told you my side of the story.”

“Then someone is lying,” Dazzler said. She looked back at Booker. “Are you leaving something out?” Booker glanced nervously at Flim. Trixie followed his gaze and looked at the pony in question.

“Flim?” she asked. “Is there something you aren’t telling us?” Flam shot a glare at his brother.

“You have been hiding something then!” he shouted.

“I was just trying to help!” Flim shouted back.

“Both of you calm down!” Trixie demanded. The twins went silent and Trixie approached Flim. “Flim, what’s going on? What did you do?” Flim sighed.

“After Spotlight initially rejected you, Flam and I decided to have a little fun around town. During that time, I met Booker. He told me about some gambling debts he had gathered.”

“Again?!” Dazzler asked looking Booker.

“Anyway,” Flim continued. “I offered to help him pay off his debt if he managed to get you tonight’s gig instead of Dazzler.” Spotlight’s eyebrows were raised in mild surprise. Flam was still glaring at Flim while Trixie just looked sad.

“I trusted you, Flim,” she said. “You promised me.”

“And you lied to me!” Flam added. Flim just hung his head.

“You can’t completely blame him,” Booker said. “If I didn’t get myself into that mess in the first place.” He looked at Dazzler. “I was just scared, you know? I know I said I’d give gambling up and I didn’t know how to face you about it.” Dazzler sighed then smiled.

“You dope,” she said. She put a hoof on his cheek. “I’m upset sure, but I would have wanted to help you. That’s all I ever want to do.” Booker smiled. “I’m sorry for bursting in like this, Miss Spotlight.”

“Oh, I think I can let it go this once,” Spotlight said. “How about we go to my office and see if I can’t make room for you in my schedule.”

“I’d appreciate that.” Dazzler walked up to Trixie. “You know, kid, you’re pretty good. I can think of worse acts to take my place.”

“R-Really?” Trixie asked. Dazzler nodded. “Wow! Thank you!” Dazzler nodded and left with Spotlight and Booker. Trixie, Flam, and Scales turned their attention to Flim. Flim gulped and chuckled nervously.

“Well, that worked out,” he said. He continued to laugh but was soon silenced by the glares he was getting from the others.

“Flim you made me a promise,” Trixie said, “and not only did you break it but you also took advantage of sompony else’s misfortune to get what you wanted.”

“Not to mention you lied to me of all ponies,” Flam added. Flim lowered his head.

“I know,” he said. “I’m sorry. I just wanted to show you that Flam and I were good agents.” Trixie smiled.

“Just because you didn’t manage to get me one gig doesn’t mean I think you’re bad agents,” she said. “What does make me think that is pulling off a stunt like you did and then lying about it.” Flim sighed.

“I know.” Flim looked at his brother. “I owe you an apology in particular. I betrayed the trust between brothers and risked your reputation as well as mine. Can you forgive me? Either of you?” Flam’s expression softened as he smiled.

“Ah, you know I can’t stay mad at you for long,” he said giving Flim a playful punch.

“I forgive you too, Flim,” Trixie said. “However, I don’t know if I’m quite ready to trust you as my agent again right now.” Flim nodded.

“No, I understand. Flam is more than capable of doing it himself.”

“Whoa, now,” Flam said. “I don’t do anything without my brother.”

“No, it’s alright, Flam. I think this is best for now. Besides, someone needs to keep an eye on things at home.” He looked at Trixie and smiled. “I just hope I can earn you two’s trust again.” Trixie smiled.

“I don’t think it’ll be that hard.”

***

Dear Journal

It’s been hard for some of my friends to get used to their new roles as the Elements of Harmony. My friend, Flim, in particular recently. However, he learned that it isn’t right to take advantage of somepony else’s misfortune, even if it might seem like you are helping someone by doing it.

It hasn’t been an easy road for some of my friends, but I know they’ll pull through. The best part is that they all have each other to help them along the way. And yours truly of course.

Until next time,

Scales

Author's Note:

I apologize for the long wait since my last update. I was having a hard time coming up with something for this chapter plus the procrastination bug bit me hard. I apologize for any lack of quality in this chapter and I'll try to do better next time.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed.

Comments ( 4 )

I guess I'll read this.

5012727 Thanks. Hope you like it.

Interesting little real-life conflict, much approved. I also liked the notion that they try to be better, now that they're role models. It's an interesting contrast to the canon M6, who are established as near-paragons from the start, whereas this bunch of black sheep have ways to go.

I'm curious to see a chapter about Suri where you match her canon personality to her new role, seeing as how the show made her look kind of horrible.

5052177 I have a Suri chapter coming up soon actually.

Login or register to comment