• Published 18th Jul 2014
  • 1,154 Views, 33 Comments

My Little Foils - Purplescales42



So what happens when some of Equestria's most selfish residents have to become the heroes? Hopefully, not the end of the world as we know it.

  • ...
1
 33
 1,154

The Trials of Nightmare Moon

Trixie didn’t waste any time. She grabbed Scales and made a run for the trailer. “Hey, Trixie, what’s going on?” asked Scales.

“Remember that old pony’s tail my dad used to tell us?” asked Trixie.

“Um, I think so.”

“Well, turns out it was true,” said Trixie. “Nightmare Moon is back and she plans on continuing her reign of eternal night.”

“Where’s Princess Celestia?”

“No idea.” The two finally reached the trailer. “But that’s not our problem. Let’s get out of here before things go south!”

“But shouldn’t we try and help?” suggested Scales.

“And do what exactly?” asked Trixie. “We’re not warriors, Scales. Let somepony else figure it out.”

“Hey, where do you think you’re going?!” shouted Lightning Dust as she flew up to the two of them. “You know something about this don’t you? Are you behind it?”

“Wh-what?” asked Trixie shocked at the accusation. “Are you insane?” Dust tackled Trixie to the ground and pinned her down.

“What’s going on?! Tell me!”

“Hey, back off, Dust!” shouted Gilda pulling Dust off of Trixie. “Let’s be cool about this.”

“This coming from you?” scoffed Dust. “Ha!” Gilda bared her fangs and growled making Dust back away then looked back at Trixie.

“So? Do you know something, Fireworks?” she asked.

“She would seem to,” said Maud as she arrived with Suri and the twins. Flim quickly helped Trixie to her feet.

“When I was a filly, my dad told me a legend about Nightmare Moon,” explained Trixie. “He said that she plans to rule the world with an eternal night.”

“Did he say anything about how to defeat her?” asked Lightning Dust.

“He told me something about the Elements of Harmony. He said there were six: Honesty, Loyalty, Generosity, Kindness, and Laughter.”

“And the sixth?” asked Flam.

“Nopony knows. Dad always said it was a complete mystery.” She looked in the direction of the Everfree Forest. “He also told me that legends say they’re supposed to be in the Castle of the Two Sisters.” She heard a collective gulp from the group except Maud whose eyes only widened slightly.

“Th-that’s in the center of the Everfree,” said Suri. “You’d have to be insane to travel in there.”

“Well, I guess I’m insane then,” said Maud casually as she headed towards the forest.

“Whoa, dude, you can’t be serious,” said Gilda blocking the Earth Pony’s path. “I wouldn't wish that place on my worst enemy.”

“It isn’t like we have a choice,” Maud pointed out. “We either go get the Elements or we cower in fear under Nightmare Moon’s reign. I prefer to try the former.” Gilda thought over Maud’s argument before nodding.

“You make a good point,” she admitted. “I ain’t about to let some pony boss me around. Count me in.”

“I was never good with authority,” said Lightning Dust. “Besides, I never liked night time. Ponies can’t see me being awesome! I’ll tag along too.”

“And what about you?” asked Maud looking back at the other four. Flim and Flam looked at each other.

“We aren’t exactly adventurers,” said Flam.

“Buuut being heroes of Equestria would do wonders for our business reputation,” Flim reasoned.

“Hmm, that’s true. Alright, girls, count us in!” Gilda and Dust rolled their eyes while Maud remained indifferent. Flam looked at Suri and Trixie. “Are you two coming?”

“Into the Everfree?” asked Suri. “What are you insane?”

“This is for the fate of the world,” said Flim.

“Or are you going to force that assistant of yours to act brave for you too?” asked Gilda.

“Excuse me?!” asked Suri.

“I’m surprised she didn’t just send Coco already,” said Dust. “Celestia knows she already runs the poor girl ragged.”

“I do not run her ragged!” screamed Suri. “And I do not appreciate the insinuation that I am a coward.” She marched towards the group. “If it’s for the fate of the world itself, I suppose I could make an exception.” All eyes now turned to Trixie.

“Well?” asked Maud. Trixie just stared at them in disbelief.

“You’re all madponies!” she said. “This is the Everfree we’re talking about! And we’re up against an Alicorn, practically a goddess! Besides, I don’t even know if I completely trust any of you!” The other six looked at each other then back at Trixie.

“I suppose we can’t force you,” said Suri.

“Can’t all be brave,” said Gilda.

“We’re wasting time with this,” added Lightning Dust. “Let’s get going.” Everyone save for Flim and Maud began to head to the forest.

“We would really appreciate you coming along, Trixie,” said Flim. “You’re right. The Everfree is dangerous. We could use all the help we can get.”

“The world is bigger than just you, Trixie,” said Maud. “Sometimes we have to think about everypony else.”

“The only important things in Trixie’s world are Scales and Trixie!” shouted the annoyed Unicorn stomping her hoof on the ground for effect. “We never needed anypony else and we never will! If you want to throw your lives away be our guest, but Trixie has her own problems to worry about!” Maud and Flim looked at one another before nodding.

“As you wish, milady,” said Flim. And with that, he and Maud left to catch up with the others. Scales approached Trixie and placed a claw on her shoulder.

“Are you sure you can just let them go?” he asked.

“Their choice. I can’t control them,” said Trixie.

“But what if they need you? What if something happens?”

“I doubt I could really add anything useful, Scales. Now come on, let’s get going.” She started to hitch herself up to the trailer. “Scales, come give me a hand.”

“A-Alright,” said Scales coming over to help Trixie.

“Giving up already?” asked a familiar voice. A dark cloud hovered above the two and transformed into Nightmare Moon. “How sad.”

“Oh, really?” asked Trixie in disbelief. “Well, I hate to disappoint my new overlord, but my friend and I need to be off.” She did her best to keep a brave face but inside, she was absolutely terrified.

“Ah, so this dragon is your pet?” asked Nightmare Moon turning her attention to Scales.

“He is not a pet!” shouted Trixie. Nightmare Moon laughed.

“I saw you abandon your companions in your time of need,” she said. “While I can understand looking out for one’s own wellbeing, I admit, I was kind of hoping you’d tag along.”

“Why?” asked Trixie.

“I thought if any pony would make this interesting, it’d be the one smart enough to remember the legends. You were even familiar with the Elements of Harmony. I’m very impressed.”

“Well, you’ll just have to be disappointed,” said Trixie. “I have my own places to be.”

“So defiant.” Nightmare Moon narrowed her eyes at Scales and smiled deviously. Her mane reached out and snatched the small dragon up.

“Trixie!” he cried.

“Scales!” Trixie glared at Nightmare Moon. “Give him back!”

“Of course,” said Nightmare Moon compliantly. “If you can make it to my castle.” She laughed maniacally as her mane and tail swirled around her and Scales and teleported them away. Trixie stood there in shock. She looked in the direction of the Everfree Forest where the others had headed. “Wait!” she cried as she ran in that direction.

***

“Well, here we are,” said Flim. The six ponies stood outside the forest. “As ominous and terrifying as ever.”

“Let’s not waste time,” said Maud walking into the forest.

“What just like that?” asked Flam.

“What’s the matter?” taunted Gilda. “Ya scared? C’mon, Maud doesn’t even seem fazed.”

“You know Maud, right?” asked Suri. “I’d be more surprised if she was scared.”

“We’re wasting time sitting here and talking,” said Lightning Dust. “Let’s just go in and-”

“Hey, wait up!” a voice called after them. The six looked over their shoulders and saw Trixie running up to them.

“Trixie?” asked Suri.

“You decided to come,” Maud stated. Trixie stopped in front of the group and caught her breath.

“What changed your mind?” asked Flim.

“Nothing,” said Trixie. “You’re all still crazy. But Nightmare Moon took Scales. I’m not going anywhere until I get him back.”

“You ask me, it gives you one less thing to worry about,” said Dust. Trixie dove at her in anger but was caught by the twins with their magic.

“You shut up!” snapped Trixie. “Scales tried to give you all a chance and you all would just leave him?”

“Take it easy, Fireworks,” said Gilda.

“My name is ‘Trixie!’ Not ‘Fireworks!’ Try to keep that in mind bird brain!” Gilda growled and marched up to Trixie. She placed a talon over the unicorn’s mouth to keep her from talking.

“We’re all risking something by doing this,” she said. “Not just you. We all have to keep a level head. Look, I know you don’t have any reason to like me. I acted totally uncool before, but if you want your kid back we have to work together, got it?” Trixie stared at Gilda for a moment before nodding. “Good.” She looked at the twins. “Put her down.” Trixie was placed gently on the ground and Gilda removed her talon from her mouth.

“Um, sorry, about what I said,” said Dust sheepishly

“Hmph. Just don’t say it again,” warned Trixie.

“Well, now that that’s out of the way, shall we be going?” asked Suri. The others nodded and headed into the forest. Little did they know that am ethereal cloud was following behind them.

***

The forest was far more unsettling at night then it was during the day. The fact that it was currently being ruled by an evil Alicorn wasn’t helping. Trixie did her best to ignore the unsettling sounds and images surrounding them. She glanced over at Maud who was up front. She still had her same neutral expression. If Trixie hadn’t witnessed it herself, she would have sworn Maud didn’t know how to smile. Gilda and Lightning Dust both flew above the group. Lightning Dust tried to keep a brave face but Trixie could see the fear in her eyes. Not that she could blame her. Gilda, on the other hoof, almost looked excited. It was like she was enjoying the thrill of it all. Suri seemed to have be in a state between fear and irritation. The twins were clearly afraid too but kept moving forward.

“A bit for your thoughts?” asked Flim when he caught Trixie looking at them.

“I-It’s nothing,” said Trixie looking away a little embarrassed. “Just worried about Scales.” She felt her stomach churn at the thought of what Nightmare Moon might do to the poor dragon if she couldn’t reach him.

“Yeah, we can relate,” said Flim.

“You can?” asked Trixie.

“Well, not to this exact situation,” said Flam. “But we can sympathize with wanting to keep family safe.

“Really?”

“My brother and I may not always be the cleanest businessponies,” said Flam, “but we always have each other’s back.”

“We’re a team,” added Flim. “Can’t have one of us without the other.”

“Saps,” spat Gilda. Trixie shot her a quick glare before deciding to ignore her.

“So are you too really just here to get the fame?” asked Trixie.

“More or less,” said Flam.

“But we’ll do everything we can to help you find Scales,” Flim assured her. “Right, Brother?”

“Absolutely, Brother!” Trixie smiled. Despite their reputation, she could tell that the twins were being completely genuine with her. It was moving.

Maybe I should take Flim up on that date offer. . .

The group soon found themselves on a cliff side. “Watch your steps,” said Maud. “The path isn’t very wide.” No one noticed the ethereal clouds seep into the ground and cause it the ground to give way underneath the group.

“There’s no path at all!” screamed Suri as the non-fliers began to fall. Gilda and Lightning Dust went after Maud and Suri respectively but the other three continued to fall. Flam managed to grab a branch with his hoof and Flim wrapped his forelegs around his waist. Trixie, however, continued to fall. She nearly went over another cliff but caught herself on the edge.

“Trixie!” called Flam. “Lift yourself up with your magic!”

“I can’t!” cried Trixie. “The heaviest thing I’ve ever lifted is Scales!” Flim noticed Trixie losing her grip and let go of his brother. He slid down to the edge and grabbed her hoof. “You can’t lift me up there. There isn’t enough room for both of us!” Flim looked around and saw a large piece of rock debris that had fallen. There was one rock in particular that looked big enough to hold them.

“Think we can grab that, Brother!” he shouted up to Flam. Flam noticed the debris Flim was talking about and nodded.

“Yeah, let’s do it!”

“Are you nuts?” sked Trixie. “You two can’t lift that!”

“Yes, we can!” insisted Flim. “Just trust us!” He looked Trixie in the eyes with a determined expression. Trixie looked up at Flam who nodded.

“Alright,” said Trixie. The twins closed their eyes and their horns grew bright green. A similar colored aura glowed around the large rock and it began to slowly ascend towards Trixie and Flim. Trixie looked up at Flim who was still hanging on to her while trying to use his magic. Sweat was running down his face. Flam was in just as bad a shape. Eventually, the rock made it just high enough for Trixie to drop down. The extra weight made it harder for the twins to hold for a second but they managed to keep it stable. “Okay, I’m on.”

“Alright,” said Flim. He hopped down onto the rock and looked up at Flam. “Your turn, Flam!” Flam nodded and let go of his branch. He slid down the cliff and off the ledge onto the platform. The rock started to fall faster than the twins intended.

“Trixie, a little help!” shouted Flam. Trixie didn’t have time to argue and applied as much magic as she could. The descent slowed down and the three were able to land the debris safely. All the collapsed on the spot. “Whew! We did it!”

“Yeah,” said Trixie rubbing her horn. “I guess we did.” Flim out a hoof on her shoulder.

“Told you we could do it,” he said. “Just a couple of hiccups along the way. Thanks for your help.” Trixie gave him a soft smile and nodded.

“Y-Yeah. No problem.”

“Well, that was amusing,” said Suri as she and Maud were gently lowered to the ground by their rescuers.

“Amusing?” asked Dust. “More like the most epic thing ever!”

“It was very impressive,” added Maud.

“Yeah, yeah, unicorns are awesome,” said Gilda impatiently. “Now can we get going? Nightmare Moon isn’t going to give us time to just sit here and pat ourselves on the back.”

“Gilda’s right,” said Trixie. “We need to keep moving.” As the group continued their journey, Trixie made her way over to Flim and leaned in close to his ear. “I’ll take you up on that date by the way,” she whispered. She trotted off leaving Flim just standing there dumbfounded with a huge grin on her face. Gilda sighed and dragged him along by his collar.

“Let’s go, Casanova,” she spat.

***

“Ha!” laughed Scales. “There was no way Trixie would go down that easily!” Nightmare Moon looked over her shoulder where Scales was trapped in a stone cage hanging from the ceiling.

“Yes,” she said looking into a magic portal that allowed her to see Trixie and the others. “Her allies are impressive as well. It seems that this is going to be more difficult than I intended. I will need to take a more direct approach.”

“Wh-What do you mean?” asked Scales nervously. Nightmare Moon only laughed in response.

***

“I must admit I’m surprised the ground gave way,” admitted Maud as the group continued through the forest. “It felt very sturdy.”

“Do you think Nightmare Moon might have had a hoof in that?” asked Suri.

“That would be the logical conclusion I guess.”

“So, she’s trying to slow us down?” asked Dust. She gave a wide grin. “Challenge accepted.”

Trixie narrowed her eyes on the path ahead. Nightmare Moon was going to have to do more than a rock slide to stop her from reaching Scales. Don’t worry, Scales. I’m coming for you. And I won’t stop until you’re safe in my hooves again.

“Hey, Equestria to Fireworks!” shouted Gilda. Trixie snapped from her stupor and looked at the griffon.

“What is it?” she asked in irritation.

“You alright?” asked Gilda. “You seem kind of out of it.”

“Can you blame me after the day I’ve had. And why do you care?”

“Geez, sorry, just making sure we all got out heads together.”

“You don’t need to worry about me.”

“You’re right, I don’t,” Gilda agreed. “But I’m going to anyway.”

“This all coming from the same griffon who tried to strangle me,” Trixie reminded her.

“Look, I wasn’t going to kill you or anything, okay?” explained Gilda trying not to lose her cool. “I lost my temper. I don’t think straight when I lose my temper.”

“So, what? We’re buddies now?” asked Trixie.

“Hahahaha!” laughed Gilda. “Oh, you’re funny, Fireworks. Look, I’m not a big fan of ponies, but I don’t want to see them oppressed either. We aren’t pals but we are on the same team. Can you live with that?”

“I suppose,” agreed Trixie. Meanwhile, Nightmare Moon’s cloud flew over the group. It found a large sleeping manticore. Forming into a thorn, it flew down and thrust itself firmly into the creature’s paw.

RRRROOOOOOAAAAAARRRR!

The manticore leapt up from where he was sleeping and leapt out onto the path. It took notice of the group and rushed towards them.

RRRROOOOOAAAAARRRR!

“Manticore!” shouted Dust.

“Run!” shouted Suri. The beast swiped his paw at her, but Gilda managed to push Suri out of the way taking the blow instead.

“Ah!” she cried as she landed in some thorny bushes.

“Gilda!” shouted Trixie.

“Rush it!” shouted Dust. She and Maud charged the manticore. He swung a claw at Dust which she managed to just barely dodge and grabbed Maud with the other paw and threw her against a tree. Trixie and the twins fired beams of magic at him but only seemed to be angering him.

RRRROOOOOAAAAARRRR!

Gilda crawled out of the bushes just in time to see the manticore charge at the group. As he lifted his paw, Gilda noticed the thorn lodged in it. She leaped out of the bushes and landed between the manticore and unicorns.

“Hold it!” she shouted. Both groups stopped and stared at her. Gilda turned to face the maticore.

RRRROOO-

“OH, SHUT UP!” snapped Gilda. The manticore immediately went silent and cowered a little. Gilda approached it and held out a talon. “Ya mind?” she asked. The manticore looked at her talon suspiciously before holding out his paw revealing the thorn. “Ouch, yeah, I’ve had that.” She grabbed his paw with one talon and the thorn with the other and pulled it out without warning.

RRRROOOOOAAAAAARRRR!

The manticore swung his paw at Gilda as if he was about to strike her. Just as Trixie and the twins were about to strike, Gilda found herself scooped up by the beast and lovingly cuddled and licked by him. “Ugh, gross!” she gagged trying to push herself away.

“Aw, that’s actually kind of adorable,” said Suri. Trixie and Lightning Dust started snicker while the twins did their best to stifle their own laughter. Maud even had a small amused smile on her face.

“I hate all of you,” spat Gilda. She pulled herself free as the rest of the group save for Trixie walked past the manticore. “Um, nice kitty,” said Gilda as she patted the manticore’s head. He purred and nuzzled against her before walking off. Gilda tried to fix her head feathers but heard Trixie still laughing behind her. “You can stop laughing now,” she said looking over her shoulder.

“Hee, hee, sorry, Gilda,” Trixie apologized. She calmed herself down before continuing. “That really was sweet of you though.”

“Hmph. Well, don’t go making a big deal out of it, alright?” asked Gilda. “I have reputation you know.” Trixie smiled and nodded

“I can respect that,” she said. “Come on; let’s go catch up with the others.”

***

“Curses!” shouted Nightmare Moon. “I can’t believe that didn’t work!”

“I’m more surprised Gilda was actually nice,” remarked Scales from his cage.

“Quiet you!” snapped Nightmare Moon shooting him a glare. Scales immediately went silent while the Nightmare Moon thought up a different plan. “Let’s see what happens when the forest itself turns against them.”

***

“Ow, ow, ow! Stop poking it!” shouted Gilda as Trixie examined her wing.

“Sorry!” apologized Trixie. “That manticore must have hit you pretty hard. I think your wing is sprained.”

“I could have told you that!” Gilda pulled away from Trixie and rubbed her wing. “Don’t you know any healing spells?”

“I don’t.” Trixie and Gilda looked at the twins.

“Nope,” said Flim.

“Sorry,” added Flam.

“Unbelievable!” huffed Gilda. “Three unicorns and none of them know healing spells!”

“Well, complaining about isn’t going to help, okay?” said Suri. She pulled her ribbon out of her mane and wrapped it around Gilda’s wing in a makeshift bandage. “There. Happy?”

“It'll work I guess.”

“Geez, could it get any darker out here?” asked Dust looking up at the sky. As if in response, a dark cloud came over the trees. “Hey!”

“You did ask,” Maud reminded her.

“Well, it didn’t have to take me seriously.” Suddenly, Dust bumped into a tree. “What the, AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!”

“What is it?” asked Trixie. She then noticed a tree that had a face with large fangs. “AAAAAAHHH!”

“What’s going on?!” screamed Suri bumping into another tree. She found a similar looking tree that looked like it was trying to eat her. “AAAAHHH!” Soon, the whole group found themselves by the monstrous trees.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!” shouted everypony as they huddled together.

“Heh, heh,” came a chuckle. The group noticed Maud was missing. Trixie saw her by one of the trees. “He looks like he’s coughing,” she said with a slight giggle.

“Maud, are you nuts!” Trixie shouted at her.

“Heh, heh, heh,” chuckled Maud. “What’s there to worry about? They look funny don’t they?” The other ponies looked at each other in confusion both at Maud’s statement and the fact that she of all ponies was laughing.

“She’s right,” said Flam.

“You’re just saying that because you have the hots for her!” accused Dust.

“No, really! Look!” said Flam pointing at one of the trees. “Doesn’t it look like he’s sneezing?”

“Hmm. . .guess it does. Hahaha, that’s rich!” Soon Dust and Flam were laughing hysterically.

“That one looks like he stubbed his toe!” laughed Flim.

“Hee, hee, hee, the one with its tongue out looks like he’s coughing!” giggled Trixie.

“That one just looks stupid!” shouted Gilda pointing at a tree before bursting out into a fir of laughter herself. Soon everypony was laughing at the silly looking trees.

“Hee, hee, hee, oh that was funny,” said Trixie trying to regain her composure. “Come on, let’s keep going.” Everyone else was too busy laughing to respond except for Maud who went back to her usual neutral expression. The other ponies and griffon laughed as they went down the path to the castle. “Hey, Maud?”

“Hm?” replied Maud as Trixie trotted up next to her.

“Why weren’t you scared?” asked Trixie. “And why did you laugh of all things?”

“I was scared,” explained Maud. “But my granny used to tell me that there are some fears that are just plain silly. Best way to make them go away is to laugh at them.”

“That’s surprisingly insightful,” Trixie admitted. Maud smiled.

“I’ll be sure to tell my granny that next time I see her. She’ll be glad her advice was taken seriously.”

***

“You follow up a manticore with some trees?” scoffed Scales.

“It was working until the gray one ruined it!” said Nightmare Moon defensively. “Ugh, why am I defending myself against a child?”

“Because the child is right,” said Scales smugly. Nightmare Moon ignored him and looked through the portal at the small band of heroes.

“They’ve gotten much further than I anticipated,” she muttered to herself. “I need to slow them down somehow.” Suddenly, a thought came to her. “If I remember correctly, there should be a river nearby. . .”

***

The group was still laughing as they approached a river. “Oh, my, I haven’t laughed like that in ages!” said Suri.

“Didn’t know you could laugh at anything besides torturing, Coco,” spat Lightning Dust.

“I don’t torture her! I just have high expectations.”

“You do seem a little rough on her,” added Trixie.

“Oh, like you have any room to talk,” snapped Suri. “You don’t know me! Plus, I bet you’re not always the nicest to that pet of yours.”

“His name is ‘Scales!’” shouted Trixie. “And he isn’t a pet! He’s my friend!”

“Alright, alright, calm, down, okay? I’m sorry-wait? Do you all hear crying?” The group stopped and listened.

“Waahaahaa!”

“Someone is crying,” said Flam.

“But who?” asked Flim.

“We won’t find out standing here,” said Maud heading up to the river. The others followed her and stopped in pure confusion and shock at what they saw: a giant sea serpent crying like a baby.”

“Ooooohhhhh, I look absolutely hideous!” he cried. Trixie noticed half of his mustache was missing. “Oh, why?!” He slammed his fists down into the water, causing a wave to splash onto the group.

“Hey, what gives?!” Gilda shouted at him. The serpent looked down at them.

“Oh, excuse me,” he said. “It’s just that I’m having an absolutely dreadful time!”

“What happened?” asked Trixie.

“Well, I was just sitting here minding my own business when this tacky little cloud came by and cut off my beautiful mustache!” explained the serpant. Trixie examined the serpent's face and noticed half of his mustache missing. It wasn't the most attractive thing but it certainly wasn't worth crying over.

“Really?” asked Dust.

“That’s it?” asked the twins simultaneously.

“That’s pathetic,” added Maud.

“Oh, quiet, all of you!” snapped Suri. The others looked at her in surprise as she rushed up to the serpent and put a hoof on him. “You don’t’ understand what it takes to look as fabulous as he does.”

“What?” deadpanned Gilda.

“Well, look at him,” said Suri pointing to his head. “His mane is coiffed to perfection, okay!”

“Do you think so?” asked the serpent.

“Oh, absolutely,” confirmed Suri. “And your scales are gorgeous, honey.”

“Oh, you flatter me,” said the serpent with a blush.

“And that manicure must have taken forever to perfect.”

“Oh, my dear, you have no idea.”

“And to think, it’s all for nothing without your handsome mustache to bring it together.”

“It’s true I’m hideous!” the serpent shouted as he covered his face with his arms and continued crying.

“I have to help,” said Suri.

“Seriously?” asked Trixie.

“Of course! No self-respecting lover of fashion and style could overlook this! You don’t think I’m that cruel do you?” Trixie didn’t have time to respond as Suri walked over to Gilda. “Gilda? I need you to cut off my tail.”

“WHAT!” shouted the twins.

“No way!” screamed Dust.

“You can’t be serious!” shouted Trixie.

“That’s insane,” said Maud sounding slightly shocked.

“Sure, okay,” said Gild casually as she lifted a claw. Suri turned her back to Gilda and braced herself for the inevitable. She heard a loud gasp from the others as her tail fell off.

“Okay,” sighed Suri. “Trixie, do you think you could attach it to the serpent’s face?”

“Um, sure, I could try,” said Trixie. She picked up the tail and brought it over to the serpent. “Here try this.” She attached it to what remained of his former mustache. “Does that work?”

“It’s fabulous!” he shouted. “I absolutely adore it!”

“Even if it doesn’t match the other side?” asked Dust.

“Oh, that makes it bold, daring even! I love it!” Suri smiled at the compliment. She then looked at the stub that was her tail and sighed.

“Pretty gutsy move,” Gilda told her. “Respect.” Suri smiled at her. “Think you’ll be okay with it?”

“I can totally make this work,” said Suri confidentially. Trixie headed towards the river.

“Come on, everyone, we need to get moving,” she said. The sea serpent dove down into the water making a path out of his body.

“Allow me,” he said. The group happily hopped across him to the other side of the river. Trixie waited for Suri to reach the other side before approaching her.

“Hey, um, sorry about earlier,” she apologized.

“Forget it, okay?” said Suri with a soft smile. “Let’s go find Scales.” Trixie smiled and nodded.

***

“Hahahahaha!” laughed Scales as he fell on his back. “Th-That was your big threat?! A stylish sea serpent!” He continued laughing uncontrollably until he felt himself being yanked out of his cage by Nightmare Moon’s magic.

“I’ve almost had it with you and your obnoxious commentary,” she scolded. “You’re becoming more annoying than you’re worth. If you wish to see your friend again then you will be SILENT!”

“Yes, ma’am!” said Scales trembling in fear. Nightmare Moon snorted and stuffed him back into his cage.

“I have one more obstacle for them to face,” she said. “They haven’t won just yet.”

***

Trixie could see the Castle of the Two Sisters in view. She was so close. She promised herself to get Scales as many gems as he wanted once he was safe. Suddenly, she felt her hoof slip as she began to fall off a cliff.

“I gotcha!” said Lightning Dust calmly as she grabbed Trixie and pulled her to safety. “Geez, you and cliffs tonight.”

“Sorry,” Trixie apologized. She looked up at the castle. “We’re almost there. I can hardly believe it.”

“Ah, don’t be so dramatic,” said Dust. “Oh, wait, forgot who I’m talking to.” Trixie shot her an annoyed glare but Dust only chuckled. “You’re so easy to mess with. Anyway, before we can rescue Scales, we need to get over there.” She pointed to the cliff across from them. However, the bridge had collapsed.

“So now what?” asked Flim.

“I got this,” said Dust flaring her wings. She flew down, grabbed the broken side of the bridge, and carried it across to the other side. “Just let me tie this real quick!” she shouted.

“Lightning Dust,” whispered a voice.

“Huh? Who’s there?”

“Ponies who could make your dreams come true,” answered the voice.

“Oh, yeah?” asked Dust a little intrigued. “How’s that?” A blue mist swirled up in front of her and quickly dissipated revealing three Pegasi in purple flightsuits. “Who are you?”

“We are the Shadowbolts,” answered one of the Pegasi.

“You sound like a cheap Wonderbolt knock off,” accused Dust. “I’ll tell you now, I’m not interested.”

“We assure you, we are no knock offs,” said the Shadowbolt. “In fact, we couldn’t be more different.”

“Oh?”

“The Wonderbolts are performers who pretend they’re still soldiers. They’ve lost the skill that got them created in the first place. They’re old news.”

“Bold statement,” said Dust. “Not that I completely disagree.”

“But with Nightmare Moon’s return we can start a new order. We won’t just be poster ponies for the kingdom. We’ll be the enforcers. The ones others look up to and respect. Whether they want to or not.”

“And where do I fit in?” asked Dust.

“We need a leader,” explained the Shadowbolt. “Someone bold and daring. Someone who will continue to push us to our limits.”

“Well, you certainly came to the right pony. Is there a catch?”

“Just come with us. Now.”

“Sure, let me tie this bridge first.”

“No!” shouted the Shadowbolt. “They don’t respect you! They don’t understand just how skilled you really are! They’re beneath you.” Dust thought it over.

“Lightning Dust!” shouted Trixie. “What’s taking so long?” Trixie noticed the Shadowbolts and gasped. “Trixie don’t-” She was cut off by a mist caused by the Shadowbolt leader.

“What do you have to gain from stopping Nightmare Moon?” she asked. “You beat her and then what? Go back to being some no name weather pony? What’s the point?”

“I. . .I don’t know,” Dust admitted. She didn’t owe anypony anything. All she ever got from anyone in town was flack. Nightmare Moon and the Shadowbolts offered her a chance to get the respect she always wanted. Still, she had gotten a little fond of the group the past couple hours. They weren’t all that bad were they?

“So, will you join us?” asked the Shadowbolt offering a hoof. Dust looked at the hoof for a moment. Then she looked the Shadowbolt in the eye and smiled.

“Ha!” she laughed slapping the hoof away. “I’m no puppet. And I’m no traitor. I’ll be big someday. But I’ll be big because of my own merit. So go back to whatever cloud spit you out!” The Shadowbolts growled at her before disappearing in the mist that brought them. The mist blocking off the rest of the group lifted as Lightning Dust tied the bridge down. Trixie was the first to cross.

“I was worried for a minute,” she admitted.

“Pfft, it was a stupid offer anyway,” said Dust. “Besides, I’ve never liked handouts.” She started flying towards the castle. “Come on, Scales is waiting for us!”

***

“We finally made it!” said Trixie as the group made their way through the castle. She led them to a large room where five stone spheres were.

“Are these the elements?” asked Maud.

“Maybe,” said Trixie. “I need to figure out a way to activate them though.” Maud nodded.

“She needs to focus,” she said as she ushered the others out of the group. “Let’s let her concentrate.” The others silently obeyed but Flim stole a quick worried glance at Trixie. “She’ll be fine,” Maud assured him.

“Yeah. Of course,” said Flim as he followed Maud out of the room. Trixie approached the stones and stood over them.

“What did Dad say about these?” she asked herself. “Something about a spark? Great, I should have known better than to just write off his stories as mere pony tales. Well, here goes nothing.” Her horn began to light up with a magical aura. Just as she was about to attempt a spell on the stones, there was a bright flash of light. When it disappeared, Trixie found herself in a different room facing Nightmare Moon. Scales was in a cage behind her.

“Trixie!” he cried.

“Scales!” Trixie ran towards him but Nightmare Moon shot a blast of magic in front of her stopping her in her tracks.

“You’ve come very far,” she complimented. “You even managed to find these.” She motioned to the stones in front of her that had managed to come with Trixie. “Quite a feat.”

“I passed your test,” said Trixie. “Now give me back Scales so I can leave.”

“And just abandon your allies after all they’ve done for you? How cold.” Trixie felt a wave of guilt hit her. Was she really thinking about abandoning the six who went out of their way to help her when they didn’t need to? “No, I’m not leaving you guys,” she said to herself. She looked at the stones orbs and fired a blast of magic at them. The blast hit them causing a spark to flow between them.

“What? How?” shouted Nightmare Moon as the orbs began to float. However, the spark quickly dissipated and the orbs fell to the ground smashing into tiny pieces.

“Huh?” asked Trixie in shock. “No!”

“Hahahaha, oh how absolutely foolish of you,” mocked Nightmare Moon. “Now you’re all alone.”

“Trixie!” shouted a group of voices. Trixie looked over her shoulder towards a staircase. She could see the silhouettes of the others on the wall as they climbed the stairs.

“Where are you, Trixie?” shouted Flim.

“Shout if you can hear us!” added Flam.

“C’mon, Fireworks, this isn’t funny!” shouted Gilda sounding irritated.

“I was never that good at hide-and-seek, okay? So come out!” ordered Suri.

“You’d better not have fallen off another cliff!” warned Lightning Dust. Maud finally made it up the stairs and smiled softly when she saw Trixie.

“She’s up here,” she called to the others. Soon, everyone was reunited.

“Y-You all came for me?” asked Trixie.

“Of course,” said Maud. “We’re friends by now aren’t we?”

“Friends?” echoed Trixie. Suddenly, it hit her. As if sensing it too, the shattered pieces of the stone orbs began to rise and float around the group.

“What is this?” asked Nightmare Moon. “The Elements were destroyed.”

“Wrong!” shouted Trixie. “They’re right here!” she said motioning to the others. “They represent the Elements of Harmony!”

“What? How?!”

“They might not seem like it on the surfacem" Trixie admitted. "But they've shown what they truly are inside. When Flim and Flam assured me we would find Scales and promised they could rescue me from falling off a cliff, they represented the Element of Honesty!”

Some of the shards formed two amulets around the twins’ neck. The jewels in the amulets were in the shape of their Cutie Marks

“When Gilda showed compassion to the manticore, she represented the Element of Kindness!”

Gilda watched in confusion as her Element appeared around her neck. The jewel on hers was a feather.

“When Maud helped us face our fears, she represented the Element of Laughter!”

Maud appeared slightly surprised as an amulet appeared around her neck.

“When Suri helped the sea serpent with a self-sacrificing gift, she represented the Element of Generosity!”

Suri gave a small shriek in surprise when she received her Element.

“And when Lightning Dust chose to stay true to us rather than join you, she represented the Element of Loyalty!”

Dust smirked confidently as her Element appeared.

“But they’re worthless without the sixth Element!” shouted Nightmare Moon. “And you don’t have it!”

“Wrong!” shouted Trixie. “I understand the old tales now. When these Elements come together, they ignite the spark in us all!” She turned and faced the others. “I felt it when I knew I couldn’t leave you when I could and again when I heard you all coming to find me. I finally realized what it was when Maud asked if we were friends.” Maud smiled at her as Trixie looked at Nightmare Moon. “These six are my friends!” Suddenly, a bright light flashed revealing a tiara with Trixie’s Cutie Mark on it. Nightmare Moon looked at the tiara in horror.

“It can’t be!”

“It is!” confirmed Trixie. “The sixth Element has finally been unleashed! The Element of Magic!” The tiara placed itself on Trixie’s head and began to glow. The other Elements started to glow with a bright aura and fired bright beams of magic that all came together in a rainbow colored burst.

“Nnnooooooo!” shouted Nightmare Moon as the beam crashed into her. She became consumed by the magic and soon the room was covered in blinding light. When it died down, Nightmare Moon was replaced by a smaller blue Alicorn with a light blue mane.

“Did. . .did we do that?” asked Lightning Dust.

“I think so,” said Flam.

“EEEEEEE!” squealed Suri. All eyes turned to her as she looked at her new tail with childish delight. “It’s back!”

“Looks good,” Gilda complimented.

“Your wing seems better too,” Suri observed. Gilda removed the ribbon from her wing and gave it a few flaps.

“Huh, so it is.”

“Wait, can there be two Elements of honesty?” Maud asked the twins.

“We always considered ourselves two parts of a whole,” explained Flim. Both twins looked at their elements.

“Apparently, the Elements do too,” said Flam. Gilda walked up to Trixie and elbowed her.

"So, were buddies now, huh?"

"I guess so," said Trixie. "Can you live with that?" Gilda chuckled.

"I guess so." Trixie smiled but then noticed the blue Alicorn.

"Nightmare Moon?" she asked approaching cautiously.

“N-no,” she said. “Not anymore at least.”

“You never truly were,” said a disembodied voice. The sun began to rise and shine it’s light through the window. A golden aura flew in and shaped itself into none other than Princess Celestia.

“Princess!” cried Trixie as all the Element Bearers bowed. Celestia chuckled.

“Rise, my little ponies,” she said softly. “Today you are all heroes.” Trixie stood up and looked at Celestia.

“Where were you?” she asked. “Did you let this happen?” Celestia shook her head.

“Nightmare Moon’s magic proved stronger than I expected,” she explained. “It managed to catch me unaware and temporarily imprison me. However, when you defeated her, I was able to free myself. I must say, I was surprised to find the Elements found wielders.”

“We’re surprised to be them,” said Trixie. “I don’t think anypony would consider us worthy.”

“Sometimes heroes come from the most unlikely of places,” said Celestia. “You might not have thought yourselves worthy, but when the need arose, you all showed who you could truly be.”

“Th-thank you,” was all Trixie could say. Maud walked up to the blue Alicorn.

“What about her?” she asked. Celestia looked at the blue Alicorn and smiled.

“Princess Luna,” she said as she approached her. Luna gasped and cowered before the Princess she had tried to overthrow.

“P-Please, Sister!” she begged. “I was not in control of my actions! I beg your forgiveness!” She started to cry as she lowered her head. Celestia put a hoof under Luna’s chin and directed her face so the two sisters were looking each other in the eyes.

"Sister?" asked Trixie.

“You do not need to beg for my forgiveness,” Celestia assured Luna. “You never needed to. We were meant to rule together, Little Sister. Let us do so again.” Luna kept crying as she threw herself against her sister.

“I missed you so much!” she cried.

“I missed you as well,” said Celestia as she hugged Luna.

“Aaaaww,” cooed Suri. Everypony smiled at the two sisters reunification. Maud even got a little teary-eyed.

“Um, I hate interrupt,” said Scales, “but can you let me out now?” Luna looked at Scales gasped.

“Oh dear, please forgive me, little one,” she said opening the cage. Scales made a beeline for Trixie who was quick to scoop him into a tight hug.

“I’m so glad you’re safe, Scales!” she said with tears in her eyes. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine,” Scales assured her.

“I am so sorry,” apologized Luna. “I did not wish to harm you. Any of you. But the nightmare was in control and I. . .can any of you find it in yourselves to forgive me?” Trixie and her friends all looked at each other. Scales pulled himself away from Trixie and approached Luna. He placed a clam on her leg and smiled.

“I can do that,” he said with a smile.

“I will too,” said Trixie. The others smiled and nodded in agreement.

“So what happens now?” asked Dust.

“I must take Luna back with me to Canterlot. She has much to catch up on.” Suddenly, Trixie realized something.

“You two are the sisters from my dad’s story,” she said. The sisters looked at each other then back at Trixie and nodded.

“We are,” confirmed Celestia.

“I remember when I was a child that I said if the two sisters were ever reunited, I would put on a show just for them to celebrate. I would be very honored if you would allow me to do so.” The sisters smiled.

“It would be our pleasure,” said Celestia.

***

Back in Ponyville, everypony was gathered around Trixie’s trailer as she performed on stage. She and Scales set off the best fireworks they could. The crowd cheered enthusiastically at the show.

“The Great and Powerful Trrixie would like to honor this special show to the return of Princess Luna!” shouted Trixie. “May the two sisters’ reign last forever!” The crowd cheered some more and Trixie got off the stage. “Let’s pack it up, Scales!” she shouted.

“Right, Trixie,” replied Scales from inside the trailer. He pulled the appropriate levers and rope turning the stage back into a trailer. Trixie looked on as the two sisters mingled with their citizens. Luna seemed nervous but happy.

“Done already?” asked Suri as she and the others approached Trixie.

“I guess,” she said. "Scales and I need to get going."

“What for?” asked Lightning Dust.

“Yeah, you were just becoming bearable,” joked Gilda. Trixie just smiled and rolled her eyes. Scales climbed out of the trailer and walked up to the group.

“Do we have to leave?” he asked Trixie. “It’s not so bad here.”

“No, I guess it isn’t,” Trixie admitted. “But I’m a performer, Scales. The shows won’t just come to me.”

“What if you had a really good agent?” asked Flim.

Two really good agents,” added Flam. “We could book shows for you and Ponyville could be your base of operations.”

“You would do that for me?” asked Trixie.

“We’re friends,” said Flam. “Of course we would. However, we may have to discuss the issue of pay perhaps.”

“Not now, Flam,” said Flim. He walked up to Trixie. “Besides, you still owe me a date.” Trixie chuckled.

“I do don’t I?” She looked at Scales and patted his head. “I guess you and I finally found a place to stay.”

“Awesome!” shouted Scales.

“Sounds like you all are having a good time,” said Celestia and she and Luna joind the group.

“Trixie and I are staying here in Ponyville,” said Scales excitedly.

“That’s wonderful news,” said Celestia. “It will be good to have all the Element Bearers in one place. I’m sure many adventures await you all.”

“Hopefully, we can get a breather first,” sighed Trixie. “I need one after this.

“Aw, c’mon, Fireworks,” said Gilda putting a talon around Trixie’s shoulder.

“Yeah!” said Lightning Dust mimicking Gilda. “The seven of us can handle anything.”

“You bet!” said the twins joining what was quickly becoming a group hug.

“It’ll definitely be interesting,” chimed in Suri as she hugged Trixie. Maud nodded and she and Scales joined the hug. Trixie giggled.

“Well, if you guys all got my back, I guess I’m ready for anything.” She returned her friends’ hug. For the first time in a long time everything in her life was perfect. And she wouldn’t have it any other way.

Author's Note:

Geez, I hate writing endings. Cliffhangers I can pull like nopony's business but I've never been good at ending chapters. Ugh, I need to work on that.

So, anyway, here's part 2 all done. Hopefully you all enjoyed it. However, I'm not quite done. Thought I'd just do the Nightmare Moon arc and call it quits? Please, I can be more creative than that.

However, I might need a little help. I'd love to keep this story going for as long as I can but I don't want to simply do carbon copies of the episodes just with different characters. So if any of you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed and thanks for reading.