• Published 12th Apr 2014
  • 27,205 Views, 1,368 Comments

The Mighty Warrior of Epicness - shinigamisparda



A cosplayer is sent to Equestria as his outfit, Gilgamesh from Final Fantasy. Let his epic quest for fights and fun begin!

  • ...
84
 1,368
 27,205

Comrades, Crystals, and Concerts

Author's Note:

A few things to start off. First, I thought I'd give you all links to all the other parts of Vivaldi's the Four Seasons.

Summer

Allegro non Molto

Adagio e piano - Presto e forte

Presto

Autumn

Allegro

Adagio molto

Allegro (yes part1 and part 3 have the same name. Blame Vivaldi)

Winter

Allegro non molto

Largo

Allegro

My personal favorites are Summer's Presto and Winter's Allegro non molto.

Next is that a large portion of this chapter will be based around music. Listening to all the songs (not counting these one's up here) will be roughly an hour, so if you want to hear it all keep that in mind.

Finally, though he wasn't exactly there, Gilgamesh is part of Friendship report! Just thought you guys might be interested.

More author's comments will be in the comment's section.

I sighed as I closed the compass. For the past few minutes I had been checking the newly revised Jack's Compass (which I had now begun to refer to as "Prosperity's Guide" in honor of the young dragoness who augmented it) for the next weapon. The device was truly a marvel now as it no longer merely responded to the nearest weapon but also radiated brighter as I got closer to it. In addition it could now focus on different targets in response to my thoughts, like simply choosing a different target or even only pointing to the weapons that were related to my second or final transformation. But with that a few problems reared their ugly heads.

First of all was the location of the nearest weapon: Cloudsdale. It seemed I didn't give the Princesses enough credit, putting one of my weapons in an area that I couldn't get to. The only way I could think to actually get it was to tear down the entire city, and that was just not an option.

Well, at least not yet. Let's hope it really doesn't come to that.

The second was that two of my weapons just flat out didn't show up. Certain weapons I had covered part of the requirements for the next transformation, specifically my claws, my axe, and my naginata (which took the form of the Bradamante gun halberd). That left the Ridill scimitar, the Hauteclaire broadsword, a katana, and a mace (which I sometimes jokingly referred to as the "Mole Whacker"). When I asked Prosperity's Guide to cycle through the locations of the weapons only two came up, including the one in Cloudsdale. This meant one of two things: either they had been destroyed (highly doubtful) or they had been hidden somehow.

I guess I'll have to find a way to get the information out of the Princesses after all.

After my fruitless journey to Cloudsdale I was hanging out in the Everfree Forest waiting for the indication that the Crystal Empire had shown up. I had plans to prove myself less of a villain once it did, hopefully earning me some more trust from Cadence. Unfortunately I couldn't just teleport there once it showed up because although I had visited the frozen northlands I never found the Empire itself, so my only option was to wait until a certain lavender unicorn's magic gave me the cue that it had returned, and since I was between seasons I had no idea how long that would take. As much as I wanted to look for my other weapons I couldn't risk missing the notification I was looking for.

But goddamn is waiting here boring.

As I lounged on a tree branch facing Ponyville I tried to think of something to occupy my time. I had already done my physical and spiritual training and even had a chance to eat.

I suppose I could go and hang out with Zecora, but I don't want to pester her too much. Vinyl and Tavi are also another option, but then again they might still be mad at me. I sighed. Once again, the troubles of having a small amount of friends. Not that I'm not used to it.

Suddenly, a familiar voice came into my head.

Hey big guy, you got some free time? I wanted to catch up and say thanks for the tape!

I smirked before hopping off my branch and cutting open a portal to the Rift.

I guess I've got more friends that I thought.


As I exited the portal it was now nighttime in the Everfree. I held onto my anger as long as I could before finally losing it and punching a nearby tree. The plant practically exploded with the force I put behind it.

HOW IN THE HELL COULD SHE BE SO BLIND!?

The idea of any Princess Celestia going so far as to actually put out a wanted poster for her own sister, her student, and their friends was so ridiculous that even now my blood was boiling. Oh how tempted I was to just go up and storm the gates of Canterlot, give her a good smack, and drag her back to Ponyville to see just how far she'd gone, but the fact was it wasn't my dimension. Besides, the situation with Ellura was delicate and I couldn't risk ruining things for Nemmy. I sighed as I examined the medallion around my neck before turning to face Canterlot.

Though I doubt it'd happen, I need to make sure Celestia and Luna don't see me as big enough a threat that they'd be willing to put their faith in something evil to take me down. Ultros might've been a fluke, but Twintania was definitely here to stop me. I can't help but wonder what else might be out there.

I briefly considered just going up to Canterlot and talking to them, but decided against it. As long as the Elements were around, that meant risking being put back into stone, and that was just unacceptable under any condition. If I ever was going to take that route it would have to be after the "Princess Twilight" two parter, and by then I'd hopefully have many more good deeds under my belt. The Changeling Invasion probably helped, but thinking back on what happened they might just see me as a guy who was just looking for a fight and found one, not to mention having an appreciation for the sanctity of marriage, and probably fell into the "Affably Evil" category. What I had planned for the Crystal Empire would just make me look more like goofball than anything else, and hopefully make many ponies think "why is this guy such a threat again?" I needed more, something to finally make them consider that there was truly good in me.

After a moment of thought I was struck with an idea, one that would not only help but kill a huge amount of time as well. I tucked the medallion behind my scarf.

I just hope those two musicians will be willing to take me back.


"AND JUST WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!?" the earth pony mare shouted.

"Shh! Not so loud, please!" the warrior responded.

"'NOT SO LOUD!?' AND JUST WHY SHOULDN'T I ALERT EVERYPONY TO THE PRESENCE OF A CRIMINAL AND A LIAR!?"

"Hey, when did I lie? I gave you music in exchange for instruments and lessons. I even returned them when I was done."

"YOU NEVER SAID YOU'D USE IT AS A WAY TO INSULT CELESTIA!"

"I never said I wouldn't."

Vinyl watched as Tavi neared the point where she looked like she'd explode.

"Ok, Ok, look, can you just hear me out before you do anything drastic?" he pleaded.

Octavia reigned in her anger for a moment before nodding.

"Ok, so first of all I'd like to apologize. Not just for using you but also no doubt putting some stress on your conscience."

The cellist's expression didn't change.

"And, I would like it if you could help me apologize to the Princesses as well."

"...You're joking."

"No, really, I want to get on their good side!"

"Then why don't you just apologize to them yourself?"

"Oh yeah, like that'd work. 'Hey Celestia! Hey Luna! Look, sorry for beating you to a pulp and smacking around your guards before, but I was hoping we could-" BAM! Frozen in stone by the Elements of Harmony!"

"It's better than you deserve."

"Hey! Did you forget who saved you and you girlfriend during the Changeling Invasion? And don't tell me you don't know about me driving off Chrysalis before Shining Armor and Cadence used their barrier, I read the newspapers!"

"He's got a point, Tavi," Vinyl commented.

Octavia groaned. "Fine. I won't call out for anypony, but I'm still not agreeing to help you."

"OH COME ON!" the warrior complained.

"Whining will not get you anywhere with me. Besides, just how are two musicians suppose to help you apologize to royalty anyway?"

"I'm glad you asked!" he replied, posing dramatically. "Over my many years I've found that three things, more than anything else, act as a window into another's soul! The first is combat, but that's not an option here. Next is food, but I'm not really a master chef or anything. Which leaves the final option, music!"

"I'm still not seeing how we're involved."

"Dear Octavia, as a musician from Canterlot, certainly you have some sway within the capitol?"

"Well… yes, I do have some clout. And it has been growing a bit since I submitted some of the songs you gave me," she reluctantly admitted.

"And Vinyl, I know for a fact that you were hired to be a dj for the wedding of Cadence and Shining Armor."

"Yup! I was really surprised too, until I found out Pinkie was doing a lot of the planning," the unicorn admitted without hesitation.

"So surely if you wanted to put on a concert within the city and have the Princesses attend, it wouldn't be too difficult, would it?"

"A concert? You want to arrange a concert? In Canterlot?" the cellist asked in disbelief.

"What kind?" the dj asked. "Techno? Electronica? Dubstep? Maybe you're more a rock-"

"Actually, I was thinking of something more along the line's of Octavia's expertise," the warrior interrupted.

"You want to put on a classical concert?" Octavia asked in complete surprise.

"And that reaction is exactly what I'm hoping to get. What I want is a symphony of dulcet tones and swirling emotions that even the stuffiest of Canterlot nobles would approve of. Something that will make them think 'these wonderful musical masterpieces were brought to us by Gilgamesh? The very same creature feared for his threat to cause destruction to the lands? Perhaps he is not quite the barbarian we had thought!'"

"... That's actually a pretty good idea," Vinyl conceded.

Octavia rolled her eyes. "Ok, so do you actually have this thought out, or are you just hoping things turn out fine?"

"My dear Octavia, that almost sounds like you're on board," Gilgamesh teased.

"I must admit this sudden change in priorities of yours does have me interested. Before you were simply a nuisance to Equestria with occasional moments of helpfulness, but now you actually wish to earn the Princesses trust? Quite intriguing."

"So you're willing to help?"

"Only if you can give me an honest answer. Why are you so desperate to garner the trust of Celestia and Luna?"

The warrior actually paused, catching the two mares by surprise, before sighing.

"I don't mean to frighten you two, but there may be a threat coming to Equstria, one from outside its own reality. It might be nothing, but I can't risk assuming so and being caught off guard," he explained in a grave tone. "If it does happen that this force exists I can't have the Princesses see me as enough of a threat that they would be willing to ally with them against me, no matter how small that chance is. I need to do everything I can to ensure that if this evil does indeed come that I don't also have to worry about fighting the ones I'm trying to protect."

Both mares were stunned at that response, not to mention the gravity of all the implications he raised.

"Are... are you being serious?" Octavia asked.

"Completely. I know I have no proof other than my own word, but I swear on the winds that give me the freedom I so cherish, I speak nothing but the truth."

"Heh. That's a pretty old fashioned way to make a promise, " Vinyl joked.

"So? Nothing wrong with old fashioned."

"Alright then, I trust you. So, what kind of theme are you thinking for this little concert?" Octavia asked.

The warrior posed dramatically again before answering. "A tale of adventure! A sprawling epic of heroes and villains! A saga of love and friendhip against death and destruction! The kind of things found in legends and fantasies! A 'Final Fantasy,' if you will!"

"Feel like there's a reference in there," Vinyl commented.

"Alright then, let's get started. Oh, and by the way, these songs do not count towards our usual payment," Octavia explained with a smirk.

"Ouch. You are one shrewd businessmare," the warrior complained.


Two Months Later

"So, you think you can pull it off Vinyl?" the warrior asked.

"Please. I could do that in my sleep," the unicorn answered confidently.

"I'm still worried about this rock arrangement near the end. Do you think the Princesses will be ok with it?" Octavia asked. She had every reasons to be concerned, her reputation as a Canterlot musician was on the line.

"Hey if they don't like it then they can just focus on the two songs that come after it. Besides, they had ten purely classical songs before that one, if they're really gonna throw a fit because of a two minute part of one song then they're going to look pretty damned immature," Gilgamesh assured her.

"Well, I suppose-"

"UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURGH!"

The shout came with an explosion and a flash of purple magic. The three of them turned to the window in time to see the Golden Oaks Library fall and crash back to earth. For a moment, silence reigned.

"Wow. I haven't seen Twilight blow a fuse like that in long time," Vinyl commented.

"And that would be my cue. Ladies, I'll see you in no more than a week," Gilgamesh quickly said before cutting open a hole in the air disappearing through it.

"Well, that was abrupt," Octavia commented.

"Ah forget it. I'm sure whatever it is he can handle it."


Four Days Later

I waited quite a distance away from the Crystal Empire. Thankfully it wasn't that hard finding the barrier Cadence was creating. Even better, one of those missing weapon signatures had appeared, which meant that it must've disappeared with the Empire, explaining why it didn't show up.

Now if only I knew where the other missing one was.

At the moment the barrier was down and Sombra had already made himself known to the crystal ponies. There was a part of me that was afraid I'd have to step in but thankfully I saw the tiny shine of the Crystal Heart moments before Shining Armor hurled his wife at it. Within a minute Sombra was destroyed, the Crystal Empire radiated its aurora over the land, and all the black crystals had reverted. I smirked as I cut open a rift with my spear.

I am going to love this.


Cadence looked down at the crystal ponies, thankful everything had turned out ok. She took a quick look at Shining and smiled, only for a booming voice to catch her attention.

"KING SOMBRA!"

Everypony looked up to see a familiar eight-armed figure plummet from the sky towards the ground.

Oh no.

The ponies scattered, thankfully being out of his way when he touched ground, kicking up a cloud of dirt and gravel that initially cloaked his form.

"PREPARE, MASTER OF EVIL MAGICS, FOR TODAY YOU FACE YOUR GREATEST CHALLENGE!" he continued, the cloud slowly dispersing around him, revealing his weapons held out intimidatingly. "YOU WILL FALL TO THE POWER AND SKILL OF… the Mighty...

As he trailed off he looked around seemingly, confused. As the crystal ponies shivered in place, terrified of this figure yet still curious, he used one of his free hands to pull out a small device. He opened it and it shone slightly. As he continued to observe his surroundings Cadence decided she needed to assess the situation. Despite her husband's calls she jumped off the balcony and flew down to him. He noticed her as she landed and put the device away.

"You! You were the Princess who's marriage was so rudely interrupted by the Changeling Invasion!" he proclaimed.

"Um, yes, that's me. Princess Cadence. Um, thank you for you help with that," she nervously responded.

"Ah, think nothing of it dear, I simply can't stand to see something so joyous ruined. Or worse, exploited."

"I appreciate that. But, um, what are you doing here, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Ah, yes. Well, I had come here seeking to battle with the one known as King Sombra. Where is he? I rather doubt he simply turned tail and left."

"Um… he's kind of… dead."

"'Dead?'" the warrior responded with a blank look.

"Um, yes, the Crystal Heart destroyed him."

"You mean… he's already…"

The warrior trailed off leaving an uncomfortable silence in the air. Cadence was beginning to wonder if coming down to meet him was such a good idea and nervously took a step back only to gape at his response: he fell to his knees, dropped all his weapons, and let loose the single most pathetic cry she'd ever heard.

"I-I MISSED IT!? H-HOW C-COULD I MISS IT!?" he blubbered between sobs.

Cadence could only look on in shock.

This is the warrior that beat Auntie Celestia? This the creature that drove off the Changelings? What the hay is this?!

The warrior stopped sobbing and picked up his weapons, then used his spear to cut a hole in reality just below him.

"Leaving now," he uttered in a depressed tone before tipping forward and falling in, the portal closing right afterwards.

Well. That was… interesting.


Twilight stared down from the top of the castle, still trying to process what she just saw, the mighty warrior that had defeated armies and even the Princesses bawling like foal. Before she could wrap her head around it a familiar voice came from behind her.

"Ok, and what have we here?"

She turned and saw Gilgamesh, his back to her. He looked in front of him and pulled out a sword from a pedestal she had originally overlooked due to her focus on the Crystal Heart.

"Hauteclaire. Mine once again," he said to himself as the golden broadsword disappeared in a flash of light.

"Gilgamesh!" Twilight shouted, catching his attention.

"Oh, um… hi," he responded nervously. "Um… bye!" And with that he quickly cut open a hole in the air and jumped through.

Twilight tried to process everything that happened, one thought radiating through her mind.

Was it all an act?


Two Weeks Later

Celestia smiled as she sat in her personal balcony seating in the Royal Canterlot Opera House, listening the the buzzing of the ponies below as they took their seats. Next to her sat her sister, looking forward to actually participating in something she hadn't done in one thousand years. In front of her sat her student and her six friends, the five mares and one drake chatting with each other and dressed their best. Some were excited, others a bit bored, and some indifferent, but they were all clearly happy to be with each other.

Clestia levitated the brochure in front of her, reading the title once more.

Final Fantasy: A Tale of Heroes and Villains
Presented by Octavia Melody and Vinyl Scratch

It was an odd title to be sure, not many musicians had ever made concerts attributed to anything but pure happiness, but then again many of their stories were about the triumph of goodness and harmony over evil and strife. Leave it to those two musicians, similar but opposites, to come up with something to break the mold. They made a lovely couple, and it was a shame that the cellist had to hide her affections for fear of losing her reputation. Hopefully such things would be alleviated in time.

Another curiosity was that every single song on the brochure was titled with only question marks, the names hidden from view. Likely they would react and change when the music was played, a magic practice that had not been used very often. Even still, she liked the idea of being surprised. Soon the lights dimmed and the theatre quieted. After a few moments, the first notes began to play, and the first name was revealed.

The first song began simply with nothing but the quick yet gentle plucking of a harp, only soon for wondrous bells and vocals to join it, other instruments being added later. The song was nothing but pure peace and bliss, something that warmed the princess' heart to no end. It was a simple tune that seemed over too soon. The crowd respectfully applauded once it had finished

Before the name of the next song revealed itself the lights changed to a softy rosy red. The song began with a beautiful chorus of strings before soon adding in a proud series of brass instruments, followed by powerful yet still regal vocals. As the song grew in both power and majesty the solar diarch noticed her sister discreetly wiping her eyes and sniffling gently.

"Luna, what's wrong?" she whispered.

"It's nothing, dear sister. It's just that… it reminds me of the past, the kind of songs that would be played in our honor, and in honor of Equestria. Even if I've never heard if before, it feels… nostalgic."

Celesita smiled and and nuzzled her sister affectionately. "It's alright, Luna. I'm sure you'll create many new memories to feel nostalgic about in this time, too."

The lunar diarch nuzzled her back and smiled before turning back before turning to the chorus. The gentle rose lights had grew in intensity to a scarlet red, but had also changed shape to form a beautiful blooming rose. As the song finished for the finale the lights cut out, leaving the crowd to applaud and even cheer in the darkness.

The next song was almost the exact opposite in theme, as a royal purple light grew to cover the chorus. The song was certainly well done, the woodwind and drums along with the strings and brass giving it a powerful and majestic feel, but as it went on it began to feel more and more aggressive. In addition it just felt… arrogant. Celestia frowned slightly as she could almost see the song playing alongside King Sombra gloating, and she noticed Luna's jaw tense as well. The name also cleared up a linger confusion from the previous song. If this was to represent an "emperor" than it would only stand to reason the "rebellion" would be the more benevolent sounding song.

I guess this would explain the 'villain' part of the title.

As the song finished the lights began to change to white as the next song began, not even giving time for any possible applause.

As soon as the next piece started Celestia immediately felt any negative feelings melt away. The song was gentle and yet not without a certain feel of power to it. Celestia could almost imagine the wind rushing past her, the feeling of flying across the world and discovering distant lands. She noticed that Rainbow Dash had her eyes closed and seemed to be feeling the same thing, if her twitching wings were any indication. As the piece finished the audience applauded, giving time for the lights to change to a subtle red.

The next song could not have been titled more properly in Celestia's opinion. The gentle notes immediately sent a rush of warmth and ease through her body and she almost began crying in joy. She saw Rarity sigh contentedly and Spike nervously inching towards her. Rarity noticed and he tried to hide it until she smiled and placed her tail around his back, causing him to almost swoon and fall over. This elicited some chuckles from the other ponies, but all of them smiled warmly as well. As the piece continued she saw several ponies below her moved closer to each other, hugging, holding hooves, and even giving each other quick kisses before turning back to the glorious melody.

Ah, the wondrous power of music.

As the tune finished the audiences cheered, the lights dimming down to nothing as they did.

The song began with only a single cello before the lights then came on for only a single organ player, playing quick intimidating notes. Soon it erupted with long, terrifying notes from the pipe organ. The song was another opposite, an intimidating theme for a powerful intimidating opponent. Many of the ponies shivered, especially Fluttershy, as the theme seemed to only repeat and grow more threatening each time. Despite the terrifying tone, Celestia had to admit the organist was spectacular. The song abruptly ended and before any pony had a chance to react the next song began.

As the music swelled for the next piece the lights began to brighten. Their arrangement made it so that the orchestra was the only thing visible in the entire opera house, the rest being nearly pitch black. The music swayed back and forth between loud and threatening to soft and unsettling. The title was also appropriate, as she could easily see a battle taking place during it. She even saw Luna tense as she would back in the old days before engaging her opponents, and she caught herself doing it as well. Overall it was an odd situation for her, just like the previous song she found the mood it set not entirely to her liking, but she could not help admire the actual performance. Before the audience could respond the lights turned from a harsh bright white to a soft soothing yellow as the next piece began.

The first notes immediately caught Celestia off guard, as a simple guitar was not something one usually heard in an orchestra. Even still, the gentle strumming, accompanied by the soft flute and the strings of violins instantly changed the mood to something not only pleasant but also soothing, draining away not only the fear in the room but the excitement as well.

As the song continued she saw the group of seven in front of her look to each other affectionately, all of them moving a bit closer to each other. It seemed the song name had also had an effect on them, and Celestia could almost see the bonds between them. The Princess simply enjoyed the rest of the piece, as did the rest of the audience it seemed as they applauded enthusiastically after it was done.

The lights all brightened afterwards, signaling that the first half of the presentation was done and it was time to give the audience a chance to stretch their legs and wings.


An hour later everypony had returned to their seats, having refreshed themselves in any way they needed to. After thinking about it Celestia had arranged a story in her mind that the songs were trying to tell.

A young group of ponies found themselves thrust into a battle against evil. They joined the rebel army and rebelled against the evil emperor. Having claimed victory they decided to travel the world, seeking adventure and to spread hope and joy amongst those being oppressed by others. Some had found love over the course of their journey, but all had forged unbreakable bonds of friendship. Soon they crossed swords with an evil even worse than the emperor they faced before and a brutal battle took place, one they ultimately triumphed over but not without being wounded. As they licked their wounds and found themselves wondering if they were in over their heads they reflected on their journey and realized how close the bonds between them all were, gathering their strength to continue to spread light across the land. The princess giggled for a moment. Truly these pieces were arranged with care. I can't wait to hear what comes next.

The lights began to dim again as a gentle white light shined on the orchestra.

The lighting effect was very unique in the next piece, as small spotlights of pale blue light slowly travelled across the chorus before disappearing. It almost looked like snow and gave the effect of looking like they were traveling. The song was somehow sad yet heroic at the same time, increasing and decreasing in strength and power as it went on.

Our heroes encounter a lonely heroine on her own, Terra, who has fought this evil for ages. Just as she begins to lose hope our heroes offer her their aid, giving her the push she needs to continue her journey.

The audience applauded as the final heroic notes played, the lights now beginning to shine normally upon the chorus.

Celestia was immediately surprised at the use of xylophone and drums at the beginning. It almost seemed whimsical at first until the woodwinds and strings joined in, followed soon after by the brass. More than any of the other songs before, this one unsettled her the most, adding a foal like glee to the vileness that some of the other songs had. In truth, it reminded her of Discord, though more aggressive. The girls and Spike seemed unsettled by the music, but no more so than Pinkie Pie, who seemed to take the use of a fun sounding tune and making it menacing almost personally.

Our heroes encounter the villain that she has be fighting for so long, Kefka, who's unbridled joy in destruction and chaos proves worse than any other evil hey have faced before.

Celestia looked down at the brochure and saw there were only two songs left. She had a feeling she knew how this "story" would end, and so decided to simply listen. As the song ended the lights dimmed down to nothing.

As the music began backlights shone from the bottom of the stage, causing them all to appear as shadowy shapes instead of ponies. If that wasn't unsettling enough, the lights were colored a blood red. That alone, along with the title, was enough to prove that Celestia had guessed right.

The final battle between good an evil.

The piece started with drums and strings setting and eerie mood before the brass began the threat of power. The music seemed to climb, not only in power but ferocity. Soon an unsettling calm organ and vocals replaced the music, slowing the pace for a moment, before the organ sped up and the drums accompanied them. Woodwind instruments joined at certain increments, only for the music to change to loud and boastful again.

Soon more backlights were added, still enveloping the symphony in shadows, only along with the brightness increased the color change from bright red to a sickly orange. The organ took the pace, with sharp quick vocals and pounding drums following. Every so often a blast of brass would arise and change the pace to slower and more bombastic, but not a great change of pace. The organ then took over completely for a while, only for brass to come later and seem to finish off the final notes of that movement.

I see this piece is quite a long one, even with multiple movements within it. I suppose that's to be expected for a clash between two great powers. The stallion on the organ truly is fantastic.

Once again the lighting changed, adding more lights and almost reaching the top of the opera house. The color was changed to an almost sun colored yellow, and now the ponies playing the instruments seemed to be shrouded in light instead of darkness, blinding the crowd and keeping them from seeing them.

Soon bells rang out only to followed by that magnificent organ, the stallion taking over the song completely. The song appeared almost holy at first, but as it continued on it grew steadily more unsettling. The complicated tune continued for at least two or three minutes before swelling into long powerful notes joined by the bells from before. Immediately afterward the lights reached the top of the opera house, turning bright white, before the most unexpected sounds reached her ears.

The sound of a drum set, synthesizers, and even electric guitars came to her ears. After a few lines, the backlights vanished, instead being replaced by floor lights around few ponies playing the respective instruments. Everypony was shocked first until some voice their indignation. Others simply seemed to be looking on with fascination. Some, like Rainbow Dash, were bobbing their heads at the change in genre. Celestia herself was merely intrigued.

Well this is certainly unexpected. Something to shake things up is certainly appreciated.

Soon the more modern music faded to be replaced by the organ, the only for the rock instruments to join them along with the vocals, the lights brightening to show off the entire chorus. It went surprisingly well together, particularly the electric guitar which seemed as if it was only another "voice" in the chorus. Soon the music swelled to a final cry of power before ending. Though someponies refused to the majority applauded and cheered, Celestia included.

I hope this doesn't just turn out to be a one time thing. This mixing of genres could breed whole new kinds of music. I look forward to seeing what these two mares can do in the future.

The band ponies took their seats as the final song began.

I don't even need to imagine what this part of the story is.

Brass began, playing a heroic tune, soon followed by the gentle notes of the strings, carrying a triumphant yet subdued melody. The music slowly grew in strength as the song continued and more instruments were added until one final victorious chord finished the piece. The crowd roared in approval, the applause lasting minutes. Soon it began to die down and the ponies began to rise from their seats, only to stop when another song began.

Wait, what? Celestia took another look at her brochure and saw that there were only twelve songs listed. I guess they decided to throw in a surprise.

Celestia and all the other audience members sat down again to listen to heroic and bombastic tune.

Hm… oddly enough this seems familiar She thought. It wasn't until the introductory verse was done that she recognized it and her face turned to absolute shock. Wait, is that…? But why would they-?"

Celestia looked to her sister and saw the same expression on her face. She turned again and saw the other seven were just as shocked, recognizing the tune. Before the song had finished the brochure revealed a hidden thirteenth song.

Clash on the Big Bridge

Soon the song finished with a bombastic finale. Most of the ponies cheered, although some seemed completely shocked, likely remembering where they had heard the tune as well. Another flash appeared from Celestia's brochure that made her eyes shrink to pinpricks.

Final Fantasy: A Tale of Heroes and Villains
Presented by Octavia Melody and Vinyl Scratch
Produced by Gilgamesh

After a quick inspection she saw that only her's and Luna's brochure had the additional change added to them. No words were spoken between the nine of them.


Octavia sighed in relief, listening to the conversations of the ponies who left the opera house from the backstage entrance. Some were making some slight complaints about "the song with trash music in it" but otherwise thought the performance was good overall. Most thought it was a fantastic performance entirely. But the one's that really mattered where the ones she recognized as her fellow musicians. True, many of them thought that the inclusion of rock instruments was a "travesty", but a select few thought it was "inspired". Of those select few were some of the most reputable musicians in all of Equestria.

"I guess it'll turn out alright after all," she muttered under her breath.

"You better believe it!"

Octavia turned just in time to see Vinyl wrap her hoof around her neck. "Soon we're gonna be the talk of all of Equestria! You thought you had a reputation before, just want until after this!"

The cellist chuckled. "I suppose so. Now then, how should we celebrate?"

"I'm glad you asked, 'cause I've got some of the best champagne in Canterlot waiting for us back at the hotel!"

"Oh Vinyl, you shouldn't have."

"Ah ah, no way. I'll spend as much as I want to on my girl," the DJ said and gave her a quick kiss on the lips. "Now come on, let's get back so I don't have to worry about any of your snobby friends seeing us do that."

"Vinyl," Octavia complained, but still couldn't keep the smile from her face. The two headed back to their hotel room, which was only a thirty minute trot away. As they finally got to their floor they were surprised to find two members of the Lunar guard waiting.

"Octavia Melody and Vinyl Scratch?" one of them asked with a gruff tone.

"Um, y-yes?" the earth pony replied.

"The Princesses wish to speak with you."

Instantly both mare's felt their blood run cold. Seemingly against their will their bodies entered their hotel room and saw the diarchs of the Sun and moon inside.

"Good evening, my little ponies," Celestia began, her warm smile gone from her face.

"G-Good evening, P-Princess C-Celestia," they both stuttered.

"Sister, you're scaring them," Princess Luna chided.

Celestia realized what she was doing and smiled again. "I'm sorry for intruding on your time together, but I promise you you are not in trouble. I just want some answers."

The two mares sighed in relief.

"I suppose we should have expected this," Octavia thought aloud.

"Oh, I knew it'd happen, I just didn't think it would happen so fast," Vinyl spoke.

"So it would seem you are acquaintances with Gilgamesh," Celestia continued.

"Yes we are, your Highness," Octavia replied.

"May I ask in what way?"

"Well, 'Tavi and I went looking for him after he played this cool song," Vinyl explained. "Since then he's been giving us more songs from his dimension. First it was for those instruments and some lessons, and now it was so we'd put on this concert."

"He's been… paying you with songs?" Princess Luna asked, clearly surprised.

"I suppose that's one way to look at it. Um, also, for the record, I'd like to stress that we had no idea what he was going to use those music lessons for," Octavia explained.

"It's quite alright, you two. But I'm afraid I'm a bit confused as to what his motives were this time. I didn't see any message from him, and I certainly didn't see him anywhere. What was his motivation for wanting to have this concert?" Celestia asked.

"Well, to be honest, he wishes to gain your trust, your majesties."

"Is that so?" Luna asked, clearly shocked. "I suppose that would explain why only our brochures had his name on them."

"Um… that's not exactly true," Vinyl began.

"What?" Octavia asked.

"Ya see, I just made it so that all the others wouldn't have that show up immediately, except for the Princesses. By tomorrow morning, though, all of them will say it."

"WHAT!?" Octavia shouted before growling in anger. "He said he wouldn't pull something like this! Oh, when I get my hooves on him-!"

"Uh, actually Tavi, it was my idea."

Octavia's eyes widened as she turned to her marefriend. "What?"

"I mean, can you think of all the traffic we'll get from this?" the unicorn smile happily.

For a moment nopony moved or said a thing.

"I'LL KILL YOU!" Octavia shouted as she lunged at the unicorn, who cried for help as the two tumbled across the hotel room floor.

The two sisters looked at the display with blank expressions before turning back to each other.

"Perhaps we should continue this tomorrow," Luna suggested.

"I'll have the Guard prepared to keep the paparazzi away from them."