• Published 3rd Mar 2014
  • 4,056 Views, 156 Comments

Twilight's Sentry - GemstoneTheUnicorn



When a threat is made against the new princess, Shining Armor sends a guard undercover as her coltfriend. But what happens when the guard falls in love with the princess?

  • ...
32
 156
 4,056

~VII~

Flash Sentry softly landed on the front porch of Thunderlane’s home. The sun had recently set for that evening, a few shadows still lingering among the clouds. He approached the front door, carefully opening it. Flash entered the house quietly, so as not to attract the attention of his roommate.

“SENTRY!”

There goes any chance of getting off easily.

Flash reluctantly trotted towards the kitchen. “Yes?” He spotted Thunderlane sitting at the table, eating a hayburger.

“Where have you been? I’ve been worried sick! Did you sleep at Twilight’s? Did you sleep with Twilight? Did you--”

Flash interrupted, “Slow down! Equestria, sorry about that, yes, and would you believe me if I said ‘no?’ I realize--”

“No,” Thunderlane replied, a tinge of anger still in his voice. “Tell me.”

“Hehe, it’s a bit of a long story,” Flash stated.

“I’ve got some time, Sentry,” Thunderlane offered.

“Uhhh… Now that I think about it, it’s not that long of a story.” Flash sat down on a chair. He carefully pondered for a moment, then added, “I fell asleep on the couch, and woke up with Twilight.”

“Mmmm hmmm.”

“Swear to Celestia, Thunderlane!”

“What else did you do there?” Thunderlane interrogated.

“I…” Flash wracked his brain. “I made breakfast.”

“Okay, but did you do it?”

“It?” Flash asked, confused. “It?!” He sprung from his chair. “Why in all of Equestria would you think of that?” Flash exclaimed.

“I’m just curious,” Thunderlane admitted. “Oh, and you get to do the dishes tonight. That’s your punishment for worrying me.”

“Whatever,” Flash shrugged. He went to grab something to eat.

“There are a lot of dishes.”

**********

Phew, this could’ve been a lot worse, Flash thought to himself. He started whistling to himself and remained quite cheery, despite Thunderlane’s outburst earlier. Flash scrubbed a plate until he could see himself in it. “Good, good--Wait, I missed a--”

“SENTRY!” Thunderlane shouted in Flash’s ear. “I’ve been trying to get your attention for the past minute! What is with you tonight?” he asked with the slightest tone of worry in his voice.

Flash turned and stared blankly at Thunderlane for a moment. “What do you mean? I’m always like this,” Flash defended. He paused. “I am always like this, right?”

Thunderlane shook his head. “No, Flash. You seem really distracted lately.” His concern was audible enough for Flash to recognize it. “Is there something bugging you?”

“No,” Flash denied. “I’m fine. You don’t need to worry about me.” He turned back to the dishes.

“Are you sure?”

Flash was lost in thought again.

**********

A few days later, Flash was happily mopping the floor. How that works in a cloud building, I’m not entirely sure. He went up and down, left and right, until eventually he was waltzing with his tool. Flash started humming a melody to go with it. “Hmmm hmm hm hm hmm--”

“Flash!” Thunderlane called out.

“What?”

“Are you sure there’s nothing bothering you?” Thunderlane asked sincerely.

“I’m positive. I can’t see why you’re convinced otherwise,” Flash replied, mopping regularly.

“See? You’re even speaking differently!” Thunderlane added.

Flash dropped his mop. It fell through the cloud. “Who says I can’t enrich my vocabulary?” he argued. “And now I have to go fetch the mop!” Flash started to leave the kitchen, headed for the front door.

“Enrich...? Just….” Thunderlane paused. “Oh my Celestia! It all makes sense now!” he exclaimed. “Why didn’t I see this sooner? Flash, you’re...you’re in love!”

Flash froze mid-step. “What?” Turning around, he stared at his friend.

“C’mon. The other day, when we passed Twilight on the street, she said hi to you.” Thunderlane recounted. “You were looking at her the way that dragon looks at Rarity. But slightly less creepy. I didn’t think much of it then, but--”

“Oh, good. For a minute there, I thought you said I was in love!” Flash said in a relieved manner.

“I did.”

Flash started laughing.

Thunderlane didn’t.

“Hehe, that’s pretty funny,” Flash said. He turned back towards the door. “Hey, why aren’t you laughing?”

“I’m serious.”

Again, Flash froze mid-step. “You can’t be.” He faced Thunderlane once again. “I’m not in love. Who would I even be in love with?”

“Twilight Sparkle.”

The sudden reality of the situation hit Flash like a ton of bricks. “What are you, some sort of love expert?”

“No,” Thunderlane replied. “But--”

“This isn’t funny. I don’t appreciate you laughing at my expense,” Flash said, sudden anger in his voice.

“Do you see me laughing?”

Silence.

“I didn’t think so,” Thunderlane confirmed as Flash walked off again. “Hey! Where are you going?”

“Remember the mop?”

When Flash had grabbed a light and reached the front door, he stepped out into the cool night air. The sun was well gone for the night, the moon illuminating bumps and dents on the cloud porch. Flash sat down for a few minutes and contemplated what Thunderlane had just said. You’re in love… Flash tried to shake the thought from his mind. He thought about Twilight, which didn’t really help him or his situation.

A few hours later, Flash retreated to bed. He still didn’t have the mop.

**********

“Thunderlane?”

“Sentry!” he half-yelled, still partially asleep. He then recognized the tone in Flash’s voice. “Yes?”

“I’ve been thinking about what you said, and I think you’re right. I’m sorry for yelling at you earlier,” Flash apologized.

“No harm, no foul. But why the long face?”

Flash sat on his sleeping bag and started fiddling with the fastener. “It’s Twilight. I mean, I’m not even supposed to like her, let alone be in love with her! I’m her guard; it’s inappropriate. If anypony finds out, I’m done for!”

“What about Twilight’s brother and Princess Cadence?” Thunderlane inquired.

Flash countered, “That’s different. Captain Armor was a guard, not her guard.”

“Captain?” Thunderlane asked.

“He’s my boss.”

“Uh…” Thunderlane was speechless.

“Yeah, I’m dating my boss’ sister,” Flash confirmed. “But he was the one who sent me here.”

“Does he know you’re in love with her?”

“No, he thinks I’m lying to her and...messing...with her...emotions. Oh Celestia…” Flash buried his face in his hooves, realization dawning upon him. “...What have I done? What do I do?”

“Quit,” Thunderlane suggested.

Flash raised his head. Quizzically, he asked, “Quit? What?” He paused. “Why?”

“You love her, right?” Flash nodded. “You would do anything for her?” Thunderlane received the same response. “Prove it. Quit the Royal Guard, then tell Twilight the truth.”

“You think it’ll work?” Flash asked.

“Can pegasi walk on clouds?”

**********

Flash reluctantly raised his hoof to knock on the door to the Golden Oak Library. He gently knocked thrice on the wooden entrance. Flash stood for a few moments, pondering what he would say to his fillyfriend. He went through several possibilities and discarded most of them almost immediately. After standing at the closed door for nearly a minute, Flash turned to walk away. As he left, Flash heard the door open. “Sorry I took so long. Good morning, Flash.”

Come on, Flash. Buck up. “Morning, Twi,” Flash greeted in return as he turned around. “So, I’ve been thinking about what you said the other day. I decided that it would be cool to meet your brother,” Flash said as the words came into his mind. “Since he lives in the Crystal Empire, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity for you to meet my brother!” Thank you. “What do you think?”

“That’s a wonderful idea, Flash! And I think tomorrow would be perfect!”

What? No! It’s not perfect! Tomorrow? “Sure, why not?” Idiot! Idiot, idiot, idiot!

“It’s a date,” Twilight said, then pecked Flash on the cheek.

Hooray.

Comments ( 29 )

Another good chapter. I kind of see a liar revealed thing coming but whatever maybe everything will go down great. Looking forward to next chapter.

AWSOME!!:twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightsmile:

:pinkiecrazy: I LOVE IT!

Post the next chapter soon!!:pinkiehappy:

That is not going to end well. I guess we see what happens after the explosion happens, as well as who made the threat soon. Great chapter.

I can't wait to see how has threatened Twilight!!! :pinkiehappy:

Keep on writing :raritywink:

4356030 But I just posted this one! :fluttershyouch: Fine. Maybe. :trollestia:

4356664
4357849 :ajsmug:

flash is going to tell twilight the truth? all of it? yeah, don't see anything going wrong with that. on the plus side, we will be getting to see of flash's little brother soon.

Ha, so cute, that ending.
Also,

You were looking at her the way that dragon looks at Rarity. But slightly less creepy.

Epic.

How that works in a cloud building, I’m not entirely sure.

Dat Fourth Wall break doe.

4254228 I look at your avatar picture and say "HOORAY"

4452303 You might learn in Chapter 8, but you'll definitely know by 9.

(I need to stop judging fics by their covers)
This was fantastic so far. I'm excited to see how it continues.

Well this will be awkward all around when they get to the Crystal Empire.

Will it be a coincidence that at the same time Twilight's and Shining's parents will be there?

Luv the story

WHY IS IT ON HATIUS

PLEASE MAKE IT INCOMPLEAT AGIN AND PLEASE MAKE AN UPDADE!!!!

No pressure :rainbowlaugh:

4605315 It's only on Hiatus because it's been over a month since I've updated. I also have no inspiration whatsoever.

I'm sorry that you and the others have to wait, but I don't want it to be crap.

4605765 ok waiting is better then part of the story being bad

WHAT DID AH SAY?! WHAT. DID. AH. SAY?!!!! NOW YO LOVEY ASS IS ALL LOVEY, AND Y'ALL GOT ALL LOVEY ON TWILIGHT, AND SHE'S GOT ALL LOVEY ON YOU, AND BOF OF Y'ALLS HAS GOT LOVEY ON EACH OTHER, AND WHEN SHINING FINDS OUT HE GON'
KICK
YO
LOVEY
ASS.





DAWG.
ztgd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/xzibit.jpeg

Oh and also,


MOAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage:

“You were looking at her the way that dragon looks at Rarity. But slightly less creepy. I didn’t think much of it then, but--”th03.deviantart.net/fs71/150/i/2011/271/6/f/deal_with_discord_by_whilly-d4b6ksz.png

When's the update? :raritydespair:

I NEED MORE!!!!
I WANT TO SEE SHINNING ARMOUR FIGHT FLASH SENTRY!!!
I NEED THIS/I WANT THIS!!!!

6259237 ME TOO!!!:raritycry::raritydespair:But not Shining Armor fight Flash

Well it was fun reading while it lasted good story I'm not expecting an update since it's been like 7 years but anyways thanks for writing this it made my day

Login or register to comment