• Published 3rd Mar 2014
  • 4,041 Views, 156 Comments

Twilight's Sentry - GemstoneTheUnicorn



When a threat is made against the new princess, Shining Armor sends a guard undercover as her coltfriend. But what happens when the guard falls in love with the princess?

  • ...
32
 156
 4,041

~I~

Author's Note:

This chapter takes place at the end of the princess summit, but without the human-world-through-the-mirror thing. Twilight has gone home, but the other princesses are still there.

On a summer night in the Crystal Castle, the night that Princess Twilight returned home from her first princess summit, hardly anything was stirring. Nothing, exempting a number of royal guards, doing their rounds. Other than the clickety-clack of a few horseshoes, the occasional flap of wings or spark of magic, almost nothing could be heard. However, this was not the case for everypony. Jet Stream, a Second Class guard, heard a rather peculiar sound emitting from behind him, turning on his hooves. He then saw, to his astonishment, a previously stolen arrow lodged in the wall.

What’s this? Jet thought to himself. Upon further examination, he discovered a note attached. But this was no ordinary note.

This was a threat against Princess Twilight Sparkle.

**********

Princess Celestia was in the middle of a nice slumber, dreaming of the old days when she coached the Canterlot Hoofball team. They were up against Fillydelphia in the championship, tied in the final seconds, when Canterlot’s all-star (whose name Celestia could not quite remember) kicked for the goal. The fans held their breath, not yet knowing if Canterlot would win, when suddenly--

A knock sounded against the princess’ door, awaking her. Celestia ignored it.

Knock!

Again, Celestia paid no mind.

Knock! KNOCK!

If Luna’s trying to tell me about another dream…

Celestia opened her door to find a light brown pegasus guard with a look of urgency on his face. He bowed and waited until the princess acknowledged him, rising.

“Princess Celestia, I am sorry to wake you at this hour, but I have good reasons,” the pegasus justified.

“Of course you do, Jet.”

“I was doing my nightly rounds in the northern halls when I turned around, finding an arrow with this note,” Jet recounted, handing Celestia the note. As she read, she first gained a face of seriousness, followed by surprise.

“Jet?” Celestia asked.

“Yes, Your Majesty?”

“Fetch Captain Armor. Immediately,” she quickly added, turning around. Jet was already gone.

**********

In less than 43 minutes, Shining Armor showed up, rounded up his First Class guards, and debriefed them on the situation at hand.

“Any ideas?” he asked.

“We could give the princess her own guard,” suggested a brown guard.

“Good, good,” Armor commented. “What else?”

“Doesn't Princess Twilight already have a personal guard?” another asked as Armor shook his head. “Then wouldn’t it be pressuring to suddenly give her a guard?” The others pondered this. “I mean she hasn’t even been a princess very long. We don’t want to scare her,” the guard continued.

Armor considered this. “You've got a great point, Arrowhead. So how do we ease her into this?”

Armor, instead of responses, heard quite a bit of whispering from his left. He turned to see two pegasi, orange and dark grey, discussing something that the captain couldn't quite comprehend. “Fire! Sentry!” he barked. “Why don’t you two chatterboxes share first?”

Rapid Fire, the grey pegasus, quickly nudged Flash to the front. “Why don’t you go first, Flash?”

The timid guard cleared his throat. “A friend.” He spoke up. “A friend. A good friend.”

“What exactly do you mean, Sentry?” the captain asked.

“Send somepony undercover,” Flash Sentry continued, several pairs of eyes on him at this point. “Send somepony to become a close friend, you know, to keep an eye on the princess.”

“Brilliant! Well, except for one little thing,” Armor corrected. “A close friend doesn't mean spending all their time with her. It means maybe the occasional activity, but not every day,” he pointed out. “Does anypony care to add?”

While almost everypony stayed silent, pondering this, Flash once again spoke. “Um, I don’t know, a coltfriend?”

“You mean toy with my sister’s emotions?! That’s… that’s…” Armor contemplated. “That might just work.” This caused a flurry of comments from various guards.

“But how will it work?”

“How do we pull it off?”

“Who’s gonna do it?”

“When do we--”

“Enough!” Armor shouted, the room becoming deathly silent. “To answer the questions I did hear, I honestly don’t know. We’ll meet again tomorrow night. Dismissed,” Armor said, raising a hoof to his head.

**********

Shining Armor returned to his suite quietly, so as not to wake his wife. He failed miserably.

“Armor, honey? Is that you?” Cadence called softly.

“I’m back, don’t worry,” he responded.

“What’s the matter? Guard issues?”

“Of a sort. One of my guards found a note. A letter, really,” Armor said. He walked over to the bed, crawled in, and gave his wife a peck on the lips.

“A letter? That shouldn't be such a big deal. Why are you so uneasy?” Cadence asked.

“It was a threat.” The princess’ eyes widened. “Against Twilight.” At this, Cadence gasped. “I don’t know too much about this, but it seems genuine,” the prince said.

“It sounds serious,” Cadence commented. “What are you going to do about this?”

“We haven’t decided for sure, but I might be sending a guard undercover as her coltfriend.”

Cadence gasped loudly enough to be heard in the hallway. “But you can’t meddle with love!” she whisper-shouted. “Besides, when has your sister ever gone on a date?”

“That’s one of the problems. While I don’t really like this plan, it seems our best option,” Armor told his wife. “Can I trust you not to tell Twily?”

Cadence swiped her hoof twice across her chest, sat up and flapped her wing, and made a motion that looked as if she would poke her eye out.

“What was that?” asked a puzzled Shining Armor.

“Oh, it’s just something I picked up from one of Twilight’s friends.” Armor still looked boggled. “In other words, I promise.”

**********

The next morning, after some hard thinking and sufficient rest, Captain Shining Armor sent a messenger to let his guards know that the meeting would be cancelled. He had made his decision the night before, hoping it was the right choice. Armor was on his way to find a specific pony, hopefully before breakfast.

After searching for what seemed like forever, the prince was just about to ask for directions when he found his target. “Aha!” Armor stumbled upon a tall, white door marked 304. He loudly knocked three times. Captain Armor was about to knock again when the door opened.

“Captain Armor, sir!” he saluted, his wings unfurling.

“At ease, Corporal Sentry,” he replied. “I was wondering if I could trust you with a crucial task.”

Flash Sentry nodded, resuming a normal standing position. “Anything, sir.”

“But first, I need to ask you a question.”

“Yes?” Flash asked eagerly.

“How good are your acting skills?”