• Published 29th Nov 2013
  • 529 Views, 36 Comments

Shining Gears - Space Wizard Novablast



The story of the inventor Gearhead, his troubles in Trottingham, his love in Trottingham, and his departure from Trottingham.

  • ...
 36
 529

Chapter six: I'd prefer hell

Ahh, my head

Sun springs could only complain in her thoughts. Firstly because she had an overpowering migraine that she knew would be even more painful if she started doing anything more physical than laying still.

Secondly, she didn't recognize where she was.

It was obviously a stylish place, the walls were clean shaven oak wood with carvings that looked like branches with leaves. The bed she was lying on was considerably more comfortable than her own. Hell, even the bedside lamp looked more pricy than her entire dining set.

ok sun, you've got to think. What happened last night? I found Gear's liquor cabinet, and then what? Oh god I don't remember! What should I do? Ahh, my head!

She pushed herself out of bed, much to her strained muscles protest. But eventually she managed to actually stand upon her incredibly wobbly legs.

And then she heard voices.

She couldn't hear them clearly. They were mostly muffled by the large door, and her migraine. But she could hear them, which meant that she probably hadn't gotten here by herself.

She looked around for something to defend herself with. Eventually her eyes caught onto a nearby vase with roses and various other flowers painted on it.

She heard a small click as the doorknob was turned, she raised the vase high over her head, preparing to hit whomever was walking in right on the head.

But hangovers don't do ponies well.

Her magic suddenly evaporated in mid swing, leaving her adversaries looking at her with weird eyes.

She toppled over herself, feeling weary from the exertion that came when unicorns used magic during a hangover. Imagine having to hold a car with each arm while simultaneously riding a bike. That's the kind of weariness you're looking for.

"Sun, what exactly are you doing?"

Was that Gear? She thought, while turning her head towards the voice. At the moment it was nothing more than a big brown blob. But after her eyes adjusted she could finally she him clearly.

And of course it was Gear.

So many thoughts were buzzing through Sun's head at that moment. am I at Gears house? What happened yesterday? Have I slept here? have I slept WITH him here?

"Hi Gear," she said while smiling awkwardly at her colleague. His brow rising even higher before he sighed and shook his head, as if he was disappointed at his little foal or something.

"Master, if I may come with a suggestion," Jasper's voice was still sounding calculating and cold, "I think miss Springs might be suffering from a severe migraine, if the tells are anything to go by. Might I suggest medication #43?"

"Yes Jasper, please do, and afterwards contact Samuel, I need to speak with him." Gear said as his eyes darted around, looking at anything else than sun.

"Will do master," Jasper said, then the small robotic eye retreated into the ceiling.

And thus began the awkward silence.

That went on for about two minutes, before Gear finally had enough waiting. "Can you remember anything from last night?" Gear asked.

"No, it's all such a blurry haze of nothingness," she said as she rubbed her forehead, "I don't think I've ever gotten this drunk."

"Well, you've tried something new then," Gear said before putting on a smile that was both smug and kind at the same time, "and have drank for about 500 bits worth of alcohol."

"500 BITS?!" Sun screamed, moments later her hoof hurried back to her forehead, forgetting how much sound actually hurt when you had a headache, "how can you even spend that much on beverages?"

"What's worth owning is worth paying for. But I hadn't imagined my pristine Applelosa whiskey would disappear after one day."

Sun's eyes found themselves unnaturally attracted by the floor. "I'm sorry," she said, not feeling in the mood to face a bill this large.

"Hey, nothing to worry about, everyone makes poor choices. Especially me." Gear said, sitting down next to her and patting her on the back, "if anything you should be lucky you got so drunk here and not while out on the town."

"But 500 bits Gear!" Sun said with force behind her words, "I can't even pay that back with a months worth of allowance."

"Then don't."

Sun had to blink twice before looking at him again, she had to blink a few more times as she saw that there was no smug smile on his face, there was no playful spark in his eyes. He just said it, sounding normal about it.

"B-but 500 bits..."

"Is not as big a worry for me as it is for you," Gear finished her sentence, although it might not be what she had wanted to say, "I may have to buy less expensive food, but that doesn't matter to me so much."

Sun was looking down at the floor again, trying to hold the tears back. What she had done would have ruined every other pony's economic balance and turned it to the shit. Even those who could survive it would have craved she payed back. But not him, he just took his problems others had caused and shrugged them off.

"I-I don't know what to say," Sun said, her eyes glistening over as a few droplets formed around her eyelids and slowly slid down her cheek.

"Thank you, that's usually a good place to start." Gear said, his joyful demeanor returning in full form, "now if you'll excuse me, you have a job to attend."

At the same moment Jasper came wizzing back into the room, a small package of pills was held in the robotic hand, "medication #43 sir." The robot said as he handed Gear the pills. He popped the lid off and offered Sun one. She greedily took one and gulped it down without and afterthought. Not long after she felt the migraine retreat, she could think, hear, and see clearly again.

"And you don't work at the university anymore?" Sun asked curiously, raising an eyebrow and wiping away the remaining moisture on her eyelids.

"Of course I do, but I have a meeting with a friend I don't wanna miss out on." Gear said.

"Sir Jasper is ready to meet you at the Shining Feather inn. Would you like me to find a map for you sir?" Jasper asked.

"Perfect, I'll get going," Gear said enthusiastically, completely ignoring the question the robot had asked mere seconds ago.

Sun sighed as she saw Gear hurry downstairs, she heard something that sounded an awful lot like him tripping over something, afterwards she heard cursing, and then lastly she heard the door slam shut.

She eventually decided that lying in bed would serve her no good. She had a job she needed to take care of, whether she wanted to or not was a matter of debate for her right now.

She made her way downstairs, catching a glimpse of the kitchen before she headed out the door. Safe to say, it wasn't a pretty sight.

For some reason the walk to the university seemed so much more cheerful than usual. She found herself skipping casually along, humming different songs, be it the winter wrap up melody, or something more close to home, like Flank Sinatra.

She eventually made it to the university, marveled at how much cleaner it looked than usual. Normally Firetail and his goons would have pelted it with random crap at this hour.

When the revolving doors opened up for her she saw that the group of students Gear had acquired as fanbase was sitting on a nearby bench. With one new member, a mare whom Shadow was currently making out with. Fleetfeather ironically was the first to notice her.

"Hey Miss suns!" He shouted and waved his hoof at her, making Shadow and his marefriend break the kissing and in stead look rather awkwardly at the teacher. Vinnie couldn't help but giggle, and even Appleyard was cracking a friendly smile at the twos bewilderment.

"Hey guys," she greeted them like she would any other friend, right now they actually had lunch break, so she wouldn't have to worry about them addressing her, or vice versa.

"So, how did it go after we left you?" Vinnie asked, now smiling deviously in a manner only a school filly could. "Did anything 'special' happen?"

Sun rolled her eyes exasperatedly, but still smiling, "no, nothing has happened, so you can stop hoping for a detailed description."

"Hi, I'm Still six," said the mare whom Shadow had been kissing vigorously with beforehand, "I'm, Shadows marefriend, if that wasn't obvious." She grinned nervously, pushing her dark green and black mane out from her eyes. Her cutie mark was what looked to be a hoof full of cards.

"I can't help it Six, you're just too sexy," Shadow said, he sounded restrained in his breathing, as if having her sitting on his lap was actually hurting him.

"Oh you," Six said pecking him carefully on his nose.

"If you guys do not stop I will literally puke all over your sorry arses," Fleetfeather said, peeking up from his comic book.

"What do you have against romance?" Six asked, sounding offended. Mind you it's the kind of offended where you have the worlds largest grin placed on your face before asking, so it's kinda hard to keep up the act.

"Nothing, I have something against Vamponies who have confused someone's mouth for their throat, but I've got nothing against romance."

Appleyard spit her juice onto the floor, some of it dripping out her nose, "you son of a bitch," she laughed as she jabbed at him, "you made me me spittake my Discord damn juice."

Soon the entire six of them were laughing maniacally, drawing the attention of some of the other students, others joined in with them. Taking in the contagious nature of laughter and just rolling with it.

Yet there was only one thought going through Suns head.

if only Gear was here too.


"So then, what exactly is the problem?"

Gear was sitting opposite Samuel, or rather Sam, he preferred that. Unusually he wasn't there with a beer or hard alcohol. In stead he was holding a soda, not something he usually indulged in, but getting drunk wasn't really something he wanted right now.

Especially not after last nights ordeal.

"It's a mare," Gear answered and took another swig of his soda. The sweet taste doing him good.

"Ahh, romance problems," Sam said and took a sip of the beer he had chosen. Usually a place like the Shining Feather inn wouldn't sell soda, unless somepony payed twice the price, and Gear seriously didn't want to look for an establishment that sold soda at this hour.

"You could call it that."

"Well, do tell," Sam said and downed the rest of the beer.

"What exactly should I do to garner the attention of a mare who's already made the first move?"

Sam tapped the table for a while, nodding sagely once a while when he thought up something good. Finally he reached a conclusion.

"Ask her out."

Gear sighed, that was pretty much the answer he had expected. But still It felt weird, he had only known Sun for a few days, and she..... Seemed charming enough. So he wanted to ask her out, to find out whether or not this was a real thing

"What, not gonna thank me for the advice?"

"I'll thank you if it works." Gear said as he walked towards the exit, grabbing his hat off the table as he did.

"Good luck!" Sam yelled as he called the waiter over.

yeah, im gonna need it

Comments ( 3 )

Finnaly! :pinkiecrazy:

...Flank Sinatra. Heh.

Good job, mate. Let's see if that relationship works.

Login or register to comment