• Published 29th Nov 2013
  • 527 Views, 36 Comments

Shining Gears - Space Wizard Novablast



The story of the inventor Gearhead, his troubles in Trottingham, his love in Trottingham, and his departure from Trottingham.

  • ...
 36
 527

Chapter four: pupils In a state of C

this place is insane

Sun had been guided downstairs by James, she had been interested in seeing his workplace. What she expected was a small table, maybe some tools and a chemistry set.

What she surely didn't expect was bottles upon bottles with different liquids and powders on shelves, perfectly marked with their contents and how dangerous. Different machines was standing in the corners, or in the misc. box. In the middle there was a metal desk, from the ceiling of the cellar there was a pair of weird gloves hanging down. What exactly was those for?

She started examining them closer, finding each of them with a small marker with a letter on. Either E, W, or C. She thought about what those meant, she guessed E was the lowest possible 'rank' in this system, especially because there was a sign saying 'watch our for grade E experiments.'

She could suddenly hear a small beeping, kind of the same sound as the fire alarm in her house.

So naturally, the only rational thing to do was to get the buck out of the house.

She found the staircase and ran up it quickly, stumbling slightly because of her urgency. She swung the door open, trying to remember where the exit was.

"Miss Sun, what is with the sudden urgency?"

The robotic voice of Jasper sounded awfully calm, as if nothing had happened. But she had heard it, it had to have been the fire alarm.

"What do you mean?" Her voice sounded frantic, as if her neck had been caught in a vice, "the place is about to burn down to the ground!"

The small eye chuckled slightly, can a robot laugh?, and said in the same calm tone, "no, it's merely because the master is 'finished.' "

She could hear the steam build up and let go, it sounded as if a dragon had just breathed out, after eating mint tablets.

She headed for the bedroom of the inventor, finding the pod standing wide open....

....and a purple earth pony standing in front of it.

He looked oddly familiar, the mane was oddly reminiscent of Gear, but she knew one thing for sure about Gear. He wasn't purple.

"Who are you, and what are you doing here?" She said, horn flaring as she prepared to chase the trespasser off and possibly drag him to the police.

"Umm," the trespasser said, "what exactly are you doing Sun?"

"You are trespassing sir, leave right now or I'll be forced to take action." As she said this her horns glow became brighter, almost to the point of blinding her adversary.

"What are you talking abo-" the purple stallion cut his speech short as he looked down at his coat, and afterwards his hoof met his face.

"So that was why you couldn't recognise me," he said, wiping his forehead, "look." He said, pointing towards his flank.

Where a screwdriver and a wrench were crossed, Gears cutie mark.

"Gear?" Sun said, raising a suspicious eyebrow, "why in Luna's name are you purple?"

Sun had before seen magic gone wrong, a lot more than she wished she had. Of course she wasn't really familiar with mechanics, but it had to be at least driven by magic, and so far her brain failed her in remembering a spell that made you purple.

"Yes," he said, cheery smile returning, "don't worry about it, it's just a defect with the liquid, it wears off in a few minutes."

"What kind of liquid would make you purple?" She asked, now frowning slightly.

"Well, an extract of poison joke should have that effect." He said,shrugging a little.

"Why would you use poison joke as medicine?" She asked, only now noticing the hole in his shoulder had completely vanished. "And why is it so effective?"

"Well, you do know that poison joke was made by discord right?" He asked, now sitting down on the bed and sitting in his standard thinking position.

"No, I actually didn't." She said finding this information curiously intriguing.

"Well,he did, and as all of the 'gods' in this world," Gear scoffed slightly as he said the word of religion, "he has immense magical prowess. Therefore, poison joke has quite a bit of magic punch in it, allowing it to be a perfect catalyst for the
Heal-0-pod."

"Heal-0-pod?" Sun said, smiling and chuckling slightly, "Heal-0-pod," she said again, now breaking into all out deafening laughter, acting very unlike her usual self.


"Shut up," Gear said, looking down at the floor, "I was very drunk when I came up with the name."


"Celestia be damned," Sun said, wiping tears away from her eyes while still chuckling under her breath, "if nothing else Gear, the name of the machine is bucking amazing."

"I'm happy that you find my technological marvel entertaining, now if you'll excuse me I'll go and take a bath, get this crap cleaned off." He said, making a face most ponies would describe as a 'poop face'.

She smiled and nodded, rubbing her eyes to get the last of the salty liquid out of her eyes.

"If you're interested then there's food in my fridge, just don't take anything that has either the letter E, or W on it." He said, pointing towards the kitchen.

"Have any cider?" She asked, sounding hopeful.

"I don't know, but I think I should go and get cleaned off." He said as he started walking towards the bathroom.

Sun was barely listening, she had found that the inventor had a large variety of beverages, ranging from sodas to heavy alcohol, with the alcohol funnily enough being largely untouched.

She found herself an ice cold bottle of apple family cider 'imported straight from ponyville' it said underneath the brand name, on the bottle there was a small filly with red hair and a bow. Apparently greatly enjoying the bottle of cider she was chugging.

Sun decided to follow her lead, she popped the cap off with a small magic blast, leaving it slightly charred on one side. She bottomed up and found the drink to be fizzy and sweet, but a bit sour, altogether it tasted amazing.

She could hear the water running from above, the copper pipes above her head were suddenly rumbling slightly as the water rushed through them. But there was another sound that stuck out.

A bell, or rather a doorbell.

Once again tried to find the exit, made much easier by the constant noise emitting from the doorbell.

"Yeah yeah, I'm on my way." She said, sighing slightly. She hated ponies who just kept hitting the button when they didn't get an answer.

When she opened the door she prepared to shout down whoever it was that had interrupted her consuming of apple cider. She prepared.

But she could hardly bring herself to shout at Gears students.

"Hey there miss springs," Appleyard said cheerfully, "we heard that Mr. Gear had gotten himself into a bit of a pickle, so we thought we'd come cheer him up."

Sun couldn't help but smile, Gear had only been at the university for a day, and already he had gathered a small following. Most teachers couldn't manage such in months, even years.

But he'd pulled it off.

"Well," Shadow started, "that's not the only reason."

Vinnie however just planted a hoof directly in his sides, causing a small yelp of pain and a gasp for breath.

"Can we come in?" Fleetfeather asked, wanting his friends to stop the arguing and the fighting.

"Sure, although he is taking a bath right now, you can just sit around and wait." She said, moving back to allow them entry.

The four of them walked in and immediately started sucking in the visuals, the paintings, the decor, Shadow even picked up a small vase and started rotating it between his hooves.

Then the sound of rushing water stopped.

"I guess he's done." Fleetfeather said.

Sure enough, the brown stallion came walking into the living room, completely dry and without a single spec of purple on his coat.

"Well, looks like we have company?" He said, eyeing his students.

"You sure do," Shadow said, "and you also have a robot to make."

Gear smiled at the dark colt, "well first, what is the answer to the riddle."

This time it was the black colts turn to smile, "I'm a word no one should use, your mothers soul I will bruise, yet people use me all the time, when you are in distress I'm in my prime." He paused for a second for the dramatic effect.

"The answer is 'horse apples"

The inventor smiled at his student, it had been a pretty hard riddle, but Shadow had succeded.

"Well then, let me hear one word from you four each, and then I will base the robot off that." He said.

"It has to be cute," Vinnie said

"Practical," Ay said

"Cool." Shadow said

"Lasers," Fleetfeather said, not entirely unexpected.

"Alright," Gear said once he had heard their suggestions, "shadow, I think you've deserved to see me work. Fleetwing, if you'd like to you can join me aswell."

He turned to the two fillies, "I don't suppose you would like to join us?"

Both Vinnie and Ay shook their heads, "well just sit here and wait."

Lastly he turned to Sun, who quickly shook her head as well.

He turned back towards his lab, grabbing his goggles and his lab coat as he did.

"Well then boys," he said, smiling maniacally, "let's make wonders."