• Published 25th Oct 2013
  • 735 Views, 50 Comments

The Shores of Tartarus - Bud Grazer



When Trixie tried an advanced teleportation spell, she was expecting to pop up in the next town. Instead, she found herself in a creepy research station on Mars...

  • ...
3
 50
 735
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
Comments ( 16 )

Now I remember why I faved and upvoted this. It took a while, but alas, you delivered!

And this was one fucking nasty segment of the story. More gruesome than the game.

Am I correct to guess that you're using Crash as Arlene Sanders the Doomgirl?

4766395
Unlike the game, I'm not limited by a silly graphic engine for gory details :pinkiecrazy:

And Crash is actually the first bot you fight in Quake 3 arena:
img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110517010455/quake/images/9/93/P_crash.jpg

Old school :rainbowkiss:

4766507 Eh, never had that game. No single-player campaign turned me and my brother off, and I tasted UT99 before my first Q3 online session, so it wasn't an impacting experience.

BTW, Arlene Sanders is the name of the co-protagonist in the Doom novels, and she kicks as much ass as Flynn "Fly" Taggart, the Doomguy himself :raritywink:

Great to see this update again!

Yikes, things are ramping up to eleven quickly. Bloodthirsty demons tend to do that.

Trixie's got her first weapon, the trusty pistol. She seems to be a good shot with it already. I wonder if magic helps keep the aim from slipping.

Looking forward to what comes next!

4766645
I wasn't a big fan, which is why I know mostly Crash. She was the first level and I barely got any further :derpytongue2:

I haven't read the novels. Didn't even know there were any, in fact. Are they worth reading?


4767692
I've always loved the pistol in Doom3. It just looks cool... I always play with it for as long as I can. It's manageable until commandos start showing up...

Now I don't know if Trixie's aim is that good. So far, she only shot a slow zombie and he was pretty close. But yeah... magic :twistnerd:

4768947 Only read the first one. I won't spoil much for you, but it's a more mundane version of Doom's plot and far less satanic, but if you take it for what it is, it's very enjoyable, with a consistent narrative, good characterization and action that leaves most military fiction books in the dust. :pinkiehappy:

I did hear that the games' and the novels' diverge more harshly starting on the second book, but I've never really got to read any but the first, so I have no opinion.

4769325
Maybe I'll give it a try, then, if I can find it for cheap.

4769506 Forget that, you can find it online for free!

4769509
Heh. Well, it doesn't get cheaper than that.

4768947

I haven't read the novels. Didn't even know there were any, in fact. Are they worth reading?

No. No no no no no. I own all four... the first two at least make some token attempt to follow the storyline of Doom I and II (what storyline they had) but the last two just go absolutely off the rails and become utterly ridiculous.

4771295
Hmm... Well, maybe if I get really bored, then :rainbowwild:

Now that I can properly reply to this I shall. 9 hours later

Quite the story you have here so far, you've managed to capture several key elements and points within the source material (Doom 3) that I recall from my several tense playthroughs of the game itself. And yet your also showing some parts of the base that frankly, you don't get to see much or all thereof, without making those who've played scratch their heads and go 'what?'.

That all being said I am wondering where they will go in order to make it back to Marine HQ (which for those who know, is already a lost cause), and will there be any crossing paths with either the unnamed marine, or Councilor Swann and Campbell? Will they enter the living quarters area of the base (a unexplored area that would've held numerous horrors in the game if they had it) or other known but in the game unexplored/unaccesible areas?

5352736
Well, I can't really respond without revealing too much of my plans... What I can say is that the marine won't appear in the story, since that would basically mean rewriting the game's canon. The UAC base is really big (at least, I think so), so only a small part of it is in the game. That leaves a lot of room for other survivors to run around. Also, things will move back to Equestria at some point, of course.

5355258

Fair enough, the Marine was closer to Marine HQ than the gamma labs personnel were after-all. And he didn't lollygag around either. Though I still wonder if they will run across Swan and Campbell or not....probably not if your answer is to be interpreted correctly.

I take it Trixie's PDA was so restricted it doesn't upload clearances and data from other found PDA's? Was curious why hers didnt auto-download when she found that other PDA.

That was the best and most intense chapter yet. It's so sad seeing people die when playing the game, you try to save them, only for them to die anyway.
Well I've reached the end of the current story. Probably a long shot but will this story ever update again?

It was good while it lasted

Login or register to comment