• Published 27th Oct 2013
  • 1,816 Views, 48 Comments

The Roadie and the Show Stopper - Br0nyb0y123



Braeburn becomes a roadie for the Wonderbolts' "Grounded" Tour, and ends up developing a close relationship with Spitfire

  • ...
10
 48
 1,816

Chapter 13: The Red Parish

Soarin and JD led the way to the entrance of the stadium. The Red Parish. In all honesty, Soarin was leading the way more than JD was, he knew where to go. We approached a tunnel, we were off the streets, the tunnel was long, wide too, considering we were under about ten thousand square feet of seats for the audience. I swear, this giant bowl was bigger on the inside. A long hall with several shutters at the sides and openings to the sides, one of them was open, that was our stop. I saw two ponies at the open one, one of whom was a light green Pegasus, the other was a white Earth Pony,

"You guys got boxes?" The green pony asked.
"Yeah, man," JD replied.
"Need any help unloading?" He asked.
"Yeah, that'd be great. Thanks, man," JD said.
"What cart are you guys coming from?"
"Five," I replied.
"We're in eleven!"

We turned around and the two ponies caught sight Soarin and Silver Lining, they froze in their places in almost utter astonishment,

"Shit, dude," The white pony uttered, "Is that them?"
"It is," The other replied.

The duo nudged each other before approaching Soarin and Silver, as we all unhooked ourselves from the bridles. The two of them looked nervous, me and JD noticed that as we both glanced at them,

"Excuse me, but are you two..." The green pony began to say.
"The very same," Soarin replied with a smile. Silver smirked and nodded.
"Mister Soarin..." The white one started.
"Mister Soarin?" Soarin chuckled, "Sorry for constantly interrupting you, but Mister Soarin was my father, just call me Soarin."
"Okay, Soarin," He replied.
"What are your names, guys?" Silver asked them.
"I'm Clover," The green one said.
"I'm Bianco," The white one followed.
"Nice to meet you guys," Silver said.
"Um... Soarin, Silver Lining. I'm a big fan..." Clover started.
"We're big fans," Bianco added.
"Yeah, I've got a Wonderbolts poster back in my cart, it's for my brother," Clover explained, "I was wondering if you could sign it later when you get the chance?"
"For your brother, eh?" Soarin quizzed.

There was a brief little silence, me and JD could sense a little bit of embarrassment for Clover, I thought I saw him blushing as well,

"Well, me as well," Clover chuckled nervously.
"What cart are you staying in, pal?" Silver asked.
"Eleven," Clover replied.
"You going to be at the after party tonight?" He asked.
"Y-yeah, Silver Lining," Clover replied nervously.
"If you can, come by with the poster and we'll get all the Wonderbolts to sign it," Silver told him.
"Really?" Clover asked with excitement, Bianco widened his eyes as well.
"Yeah, man," Silver replied, "Our treat."

Clover felt a sense of overwhelming joy, and placed his hoof out,

"Oh, man. Silver, Soarin, dudes, thank you so much," Clover said.
"No problem, Clover," Silver said he bumped his hoof with his own, "Could you do me a favor though, the both of you?"
"Sure," Clover replied.
"Help me and my boys with some of the lifting?"
"Oh, yeah, we'll help," Bianco said.

And so they did, me and Soarin took one of the boxes and unloaded it into the garage, the others took everything else, we got it out of the carriage and continued to lift the boxes into storage. After it was done, me and JD weren't sure what to do, so Soarin and Silver showed us around the stadium,

"You guys got to check this place out," Silver stated.
"Yeah?" JD responded.
"Yeah, JD. Go about the place, I'm sure ol' Pouty will let you two have a small break after carrying the heavy load," Silver replied.
"What about you guys? Where are you going?" I asked.
"We have a meeting with the powers at be," Soarin replied.
"What he means by that is we have to meet the owners of this stadium with the rest of the group and our manager," Silver summarized.

My ears specifically pricked up at the sound of manager, I instantly thought of yesterday, Seth...

"Manager?" JD quizzed.
"Oh yeah, tough around the edges, he is, but you know, he keeps us in order, we have to wait upstairs in the offices though, until everyone else comes back from breakfast the meeting then begins. He sometimes barks orders like a rabid dog though," Silver said.

Doesn't surprise me.

"Sounds tough, man."
"Ah, well, JD. We get paid a shit tonne of money, ha ha," Soarin said, "Seth may be a bit of a dick, but he's good with advertisement and speaking to the powers that be."
"Anyway, we'll catch you guys later, yeah?" Silver said.
"Sure thing, Silver."
"Yeah, pal. Have fun," I told Silver.

The duo nodded and then proceeded to go to the offices, leaving me and JD in the halls,

"I'm starving now, Brae," JD told me, "Dragging the carriages takes a lot outta ya, eh?"
"Nah, man," I replied, "Not for me. I think you're just weak."
"Oh, ha ha, Brae. I wasn't raised doing manual labor, bro, unlike you, you freakishly strong brute," He joked, "You know what I was doing as a part time job before doing this? I was delivering pizzas around Vanhoover."
"Hey, that's manual labor too," I chuckled, "Me and you are more alike than we think."
"Ha, if you say so, man," JD said, "Want to grab a bite?"
"No thanks, J. I think I'm gonna look about," I replied, "Sorry, man."
"Ah, it's okay, it's just getting to know your surroundings and that, I understand," He replied.
"I'll see you soon though, right?" I asked.
"Sure thing, Brae," JD replied.

We bumped our hooves together and then he made his way to the nearest exit, leaving me alone in the halls. I looked at the framed posters on the walls, of performances and event held at the Parish before. DJ PON3's Slick and Sly Tour, The Equestrian Jazz Orchestra, Cheese Sandwich, a whole bunch of Shakesbeare productions, operas and then I came across one of the Wonderbolts' previous tours, a poster for the Wingin' It Tour, it featured five Wonderbolts looking to the sky, smiling, one lone Wonderbolts speeds through the clouds, his or her face is blurred. Spitfire was on the poster, her smile managed to make the poster out to be epic yet humble, her smile was inviting, as if made you want to fly with them. I've always wanted to fly.

I smirked as I looked at the poster, then I went off on my merry way, walking down the hall, with time to kill, I thought I'd get lost within this labyrinth of rooms, halls and stairs, but it was easy to navigate and didn't find myself bored. I went passed several doors, gathering the smell of offices, I was worried that I wasn't supposed to be where I was, so I paced myself quickly, and then all of a sudden I felt myself being dragged by the tail, right into another room, the entire thing took me by surprise that I didn't buck who did it in the face.

I found myself pushed against the wall and the door shutting behind me, then I felt my hooves being held down, by magic, it tickled in the most painful way, I then found myself on the receiving end of a hoof that was about to belt me. It was Seth,

"Don't think I haven't forgotten what you did to me, hick," He said.
"What? Stopping you from sexually assaulting someone? Oh, yeah, I'm totally the bad guy here," I replied in face of danger.
"Shut the fuck up, you Earth Pony piece of filth!" He blasted.
"You're racist too? You manage to make yourself more appealing with each passing minute, Seth."
"Listen now and listen well, kid. I'm gonna let you off on something, I'm gonna get you, and I won't say when it'll come but it's coming. I'll get you," He said.
"Buddy, don't make promises you know you won't keep. What the fuck are you even gonna do to me, huh?" I quizzed at him, not batting an eyelid.
"I'll get you fired!" He blared.
"How?" I asked, "You have no damn power, you can't fire me. I'm smart enough to stop you too, buddy. Not to mention I'm pretty damn strong too, as evident from your busted beak."
"I have one thing you don't, though," He boasted as he came closer to me, "Magic."
"Well, that all depends on how you use your magic, pal," I uttered.

He looked me in the eyes with venom and malice, then I headbutt him, my head like a stone, his snout turned to mush once more, blood leaked quickly from his nostrils and I was released from the vice at my hooves, I shoved him to the wall, my front hoof at his neck,

"What the fuck is your deal, man?" I shouted.
"I get what I want..." Seth choked, his blood trickling onto my leg, "And I want Spitfire."
"You say that like she's an object!" I blared, "You can't treat ponies like that, if you do, then you're a piece of shit. And knowing you, you're more than a piece of shit already."
"I'll let out her secret, she told you, right?" He asked, he was playing games with me, "I'll let it out, even if I go to jail for assault, the secret will be let out."
"You're pretty damned determined over something so fucking small. Why put your fucking career on the line for that?" I asked, angrily yet confused.

He began to laugh, I loosened the pressure on his neck more,

"Fuck, Braeburn, buddy. Don't tell me you don't want a piece of that flank, huh?" He smirked, "Someone like you, you can get anypony you damn well please. You got the look, man. Someone like me? I don't. I know I'm a piece of shit. But I'm only seen when I want to be seen. Why do you think we're here right now? You wouldn't have been able to find me. That's why I'll get Spitfire and get away with it too. But you, you caught me off-guard, that's why I'm saying I'll get you, then her."
"I swear to Celestia, you put one slimy hoof on her and I'll break your horn off your forehead and pin you to a wall," I threatened.
"Ha ha ha, I'm sure you will. You won't kill me though, you're too much of a good man, cowpony," Seth taunted, "I mean, what's stopping you from doing that, right now?"
"I'm tempted," I replied.
"No, you fucking aren't. You got one hoof in shit already, you won't put another one in. You won't fucking risk it."

He had me at a standstill, a stalemate, I wasn't gonna kill him or hurt him that bad. He was right. I couldn't risk doing something like that, I'd never stab another pony. I let Seth out of my grasp, he gasped a little, I stood back from him, he looked me in the eye, he sniffed and wiped the lines of blood from his snout,

"You're smart for an Earth Pony, I won't deny that. And I know you'll keep anybody safe, including sweet young Spitfire. But I'll get you, and you'll be able to keep yourself protected too," He told me as he approached the door, "But if you wanna do that, then you best keep both eyes open."

He exited the room, leaving me in there, I stared at the blood on my leg, I was angry, but to Seth I wasn't angry enough, and he knew it. I exited the room too and looked down both directions of the hallway, Seth was nowhere in sight, the sneaky bastard.

Now I had blood to wash off my leg.


After going to the restroom and cleaning the blood of a scumbag off my leg, I found myself in another part of this magical bowl-shaped place, another hallway, ponies were busy, the work hour had started, ponies were earning bits, janitors were mopping up floors, others were working on typewriters sitting at desks, I honestly had no clue what they were doing, but I knew what one pony was going to do,

"Braeburn!" A voice called for me.

I turned around to see Melody, her smile gleaming like a bright star, she came over to me, in overalls, with a red plus cross sewn to her left front sleeve. She was in uniform,

"Good morning!"
"Good morning, Mel! How's it going?" I asked.
"It's been okay, how are you liking Fillydelphia?" She asked back.
"Well," I replied with a shrug, trying to find the words, "It's a beautiful place. Very lively, I'm liking it so far."
"You'll grow to love it! Trust me!" She told me, "Hey, you feeling okay? You look a little winded."

I chuckled, a little more passively than I'd like to admit.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Just... eh, it's nothing. Just uh... had a little bit of a run-in with an asshole," I told her.
Mel chuckled, "This city has plenty. That's the worst thing about this place, I'd say."
"I also gotta say, this fucking building is huge!" I said, "I'm honestly lost here and I'm not sure how to get out."
"Well, you're in luck, my friend!" She said, "I know this place like the back of my hoof, follow me."

She signalled for me to come along with her. She trotted along and just allowed me to follow.

"Oh, how is everyone else?" She asked.
"They're good! Star, Firelight and Magenta are going to help with F/X soon. Silver Lining and Soarin came to help me and JD!" I said, "It's crazy."
"Oh, that's awesome," Melody said, "Are Star and that going to see Shamrock? Is Peanut and Brittle going too?"
"Yeah, Peanut and Brittle are helping with lighting," I replied, "What's Shamrock like?"
"Ah, yeah. You haven't met him yet, have you?" She asked.
"No. Why?" I asked back.

Melody chuckled with a sly sense of surprise. She looked as if she was hiding some sort of joke. I was surprised and intrigued about who this Shamrock was.

"Who is he?!" I asked, curiously.
"I can't say anything about him," she giggled, "You'll just have to meet him and find out."


Melody managed to finally lead me out of the multi-level labyrinth. The ringing of typewriter clicks still clung to my earlobes like the opposite of a catchy song. I felt a sudden gust of wind, I could tell fresh air was approaching. Melody led me to a sterile, clean, medical bay. It was cold, breezy, something I wasn't expecting.

"We'll be out of here soon, sorry Brae," Melody said.
"It's okay. What are we doing here?" I asked.
"I need to double check first aid kits, tools, stuff like that. Making sure we have the appropriate amount and such."
"Where's the rest of your team?"

At that point, all of a sudden. Four ponies burst in, wearing the same overalls as Melody, already speaking in jovial conversation. I caught sight of two males, one a wheat coloured Unicorn, the other was a turquoise Unicorn, he was bespectacled. Also, who entered were two pretties, one was a light orange Pegasus, the other was a grey Earth Pony.

"Oh, there you are, Melody!" The bespectacled pony said, "Doing another check?"
"Hahaha, you can never be too careful, Cauchy," Melody told him.
"Yo, Mel. Who's your friend?" The orange one asked.
"OH, guys. This is Braeburn! I'm in the same cart as him," Melody explained.

The turquoise pony approached me, as did the Pegasus and the Earth Pony.

"Hey, man. I'm Cauchy!" He introduced himself, "Chief medical officer here."
"Nice to meet you, Cauchy," I said with a smile.
"I'm Nova! Pleasure to meet you, Braeburn," the orange one said, "A friend of Melody is a friend of mine!"
"Likewise!"
The grey one waved shyly, "Hi, I'm Medina."

I smiled and nodded at her. She smiled back, a little nervous. The wheat coloured pony was looking through cupboards and such, he walked into the bay without really noticing I was here. Melody noticed that, she went over and nudged him, gaining her attention, then she pointed to me.

"Oh, shit, sorry, dude," he said, "I'm Galen. Nice to meet you."
"You too, man," I replied.
"Where'd you hail from, man?" Galen asked.
"Oh, Appleloosa," I said.
"Ah, a country boy, huh?" Cauchy jibed, "I'm from Dodge City."
"Really?" I said with surprise, "Hey, it's nice meeting someone from down South, man."
"I know the feeling," Cauchy joked, "I don't understand these city folk."

I chuckled alongside Cauchy. It was nice. Melody finished her checks and nudged me.

"Hey, I'll take you to the others and that," she said.
"Oh, yeah! Thanks, Mel."

We began to make our way towards the exit of the med bay. I couldn't leave without a goodbye.

"Hey, it was nice meetin' you, Braeburn!" Cauchy said.
"Yeah, man! Likewise," I said, "It was nice meeting all of you. See you guys later!"
"Bye, Braeburn!" All of them said.

Melody led me outside into the hallway, we were at ground level and we were closely approaching the grounds to the Parish. Melody led me with a smile on her face.

"What are you so happy about this morning, Mel?" I asked her.
"I'm happy you and Cauchy just hit it off instantly!" She replied.
"Hey, he seems like a cool guy," I said back with a shrug, "All of them seem like nice ponies."
"They're lovely! A great team, really smart," she said, "We're like a tightknit little family."

I felt a more fresh gust of wind ruffled my fur. We had finally made it to the grounds of the Parish. I never felt so happy to be outside in all my life. I saw how huge the grounds were, so vast, so green. It was like three apple ranches in one. I saw several ponies working on lights, tech. Melody and I searched with peeled eyes for our crew.

We caught sight of them closely, precisely and carefully applying explosive into marked sections of the grounds. Star was jimmying some explosives on the ground until they were perfectly in place. Magenta carefully wiring with Firelight on one of them. Just in front of our crew was a white Earth Pony with a ginger mane, his eyes were as green as the grass we walked on, his cutie mark bore a four leafed clover. Melody smiled as she approached the white pony.

"Shamrock!" She glared.

The white pony turned and smiled at her,

"Ah, it's our favourite little doctor," Shamrock uttered, his voice was sing-song like, "How are our medicines and alcohol, miss Melody darling?"
Melody rolled her eyes, "Stay away from the medical alcohol, that's for emergencies only!"

Shamrock caught sight of me. Shamrock, in all honestly, looked like a pony that came from that part of the world who spoke in rhythmic tones and in belches of alcohol scented breath.

"My, my! Who is this tall, fair and handsome one you've brought here today, lass?" He asked her.
"This is Braeburn."
"Hey," I greeted.
"Well, I've heard about you, cowpony," Shamrock said, "The peeps over there only say good things about you!"

Shamrock looked to the crew, who looked nervous as they carefully handled the explosives.

"Don't you, fellas?" Shamrock asked the focused crew.
"Sweet Celestia, is the F/X stuff really that dangerous?" I asked.

Shamrock let out a boisterous laugh, he stood beside and placed his foreleg around me. Taking me by surprise.

"Nah! I just told them if they didn't handle them perfectly then they'd blow up!" Shamrock quietly chortled.
"Wait, will they?" Melody asked.

Shamrock stood there with his foreleg still around me and paused for a moment. He had a smile on his face and then spoke in a measured tone.

"I don't know actually," he said, sounding unintentionally menacing.
"What?!" I asked.
"Ah, don't worry, my boy!" Shamrock said, "I'm arsing about with you. They won't explode... yet."
Melody chuckled nervously, "Sham, tell Braeburn your secret."
"I'm an alcoholic?" He asked, even sounding unsure of his own secret, surprisingly.
"No, the other one."
"Oh!"

He turned around and faced me. Looking me straight in the eyes with his own shiny peepers.

"I'm a kleptomaniac," he said with a grin.
"No," Melody said, "You're the other kind."
"I like fire," Shamrock said with a burp, I could smell apple cider.
"Huh, you don't say," I replied.

He took his foreleg off me and then looked at Melody.

"He's an apple boy, no?" Shamrock asked.
"Yea..." Melody spoke slowly as she glanced at me, "Why?"
"I want cider," he said.
"Hey, should you really be drinking on the job?" I asked.
"I'm allowed to!" He said, damn near proudly, "Hardly any accidents happen under my watch! The alcohol makes me work better!"

Just then, we all heard a sizzle come from the small box that Star was handling, it let out a small boom and a fizzle of electricity. Everyone jumped and was a little frightened, all except for Shamrock. He stood there and laughed before saying,

"Well, most of the time there's no accidents!"

Author's Note:

Next Chapter: We focus on Spitfire, cutting between the past and the present, the next chapter will shed more light on her dislike of the press and the anxiety she feels when around them, which was something I presented briefly in her last scene of Chapter 12.

Comments ( 3 )

Nice to finally have a new chapter after waiting so long.

Yess new chapter *sqeee* looking forward to next chapters!

Please continu this story i want to see spitfire and Braeburn together :flutterrage:

Login or register to comment