• Published 27th Oct 2013
  • 1,817 Views, 48 Comments

The Roadie and the Show Stopper - Br0nyb0y123



Braeburn becomes a roadie for the Wonderbolts' "Grounded" Tour, and ends up developing a close relationship with Spitfire

  • ...
10
 48
 1,817

Chapter 9: Moving Locations

After the party, we had to tidy up quickly, the tents had to be taken down as it was late in the night but the audience seats were still standing, other ponies will take them down in the morning. The party wasn't too bad actually, I enjoyed myself even if I was just sitting at the bar most of the time, talking to the guys. We were mostly making fun of JD and his bet and how he wasn't going to win it, he got aggravated a lot and he cursed at us....... a lot. But he gave into the jokes and just ignored us and we stopped.

The Train and the carts we were staying in were levitated by the Unicorn members of the staff onto the tracks and then we chuffed away onto the next location. I'm not sure what location we're going to for the next show, and to be honest I don't really want to know, it'll be much more surprising for me if I don't where we're heading, and it's a good thing none of us know because then they won't spoil the surprise for me whilst I lie down in my cart bunk,

"Where do you think we're all going?" Peanut asked.

"We don't know, man" JD replied.

"Canterlot? Las Pegasus? Vanhoover?" Peanut asked.

"I said we don't know" JD told him.

"Boy, if we were heading to Las Pegasus, that would be great" Brittle uttered.

"Oh yeah it would" Peanut said, "I'll be at the slots most of the time"

"That's if our employers will allow to do so" JD said.

"That will, the show will be during the day, we'll be staying in a sweet hotel with a nice casino at night as opposed to this" Peanut replied.

"Any of you ever been to Pegasus?" Peanut asked all of us.

"Once" JD said.

"I went there for my honeymoon with my ex-wife" Star said, "I loved it, and I think she liked it a little bit. Hell, if we do end up there, I'll play roulette all damn night"

"Me and Firelight and few other friends went there on a girls night out" Magenta said.

"My parents divorced when I was young and my dad moved to Pegasus. I would often visit him in the summers" Melody mentioned.

"That it? JD? Braeburn? Both of you never been there?" Peanut asked.

"Nah man" JD said.

I shook my head,

"Well. If we are going there, you guys better know how to gamble" Brittle said.

"I know how to gamble. I used to play Blackjack all the time back in Appleloosa" I told him.

"What about you, Jay?" Brittle asked JD, "Surely you must be known to gamble"

"Please, stop talking about it. It's really annoying" JD replied.

"Yeah, Brittle. Cut it out, man. He's had enough" Star told him.

Brittle sighed in annoyance, "Fine"

"Can we vote on the winner of the life story thing?" JD asked Melody.

Melody shrugged, "I don't know, it's either going to be Braeburn or Star's story anyway"

"I'll let Star win this one, his story is much better than mine" I said.

"Nah, man. Yours was" Star replied.

"This is why we need to vote" Melody told us.

If it is coming down to a vote, I'm not going to do it, I seriously can't be bothered with it, I'm too tired,

"Well, I'm not voting, I'm absolutely shattered, I need sleep" I told them.

"Oh, alright then. Night Braeburn" Melody said to me.

"You know what? I'm going to hit the hay as well" Star said after me.

"I might as well too" Magenta followed.

"So is everyone going to go to sleep?" Melody asked.

"I guess so" JD replied, "I'm really sleepy after the party"

"Well then um....I guess I'll see you all in the morning then" Melody said.

"Yeah, night Melody" Firelight said as she flicked the light switch off.

"Night guys" I said to them as I rested my head on the pillow of my bunk.


"So, my fellow Wonderbolts" Soarin began, "Does anyone know where about's we're going next?"

"I heard from Pout we're going to Filly-Delphia now" Windy replied.

"Oh Filly? You're from there, aren't you, Surprise?" Soarin asked.

"No, I was just born there, I was raised in Cloudsdale" Surprise replied.

"I've got a question for you, Soarin" Fleetfoot said.

"Ask away" Soarin said.

"Well, whilst me and Spitfire were dancing, did you or Silver manage to pull off your masculine charms on any lucky ladies?" She asked him.

I can tell already this conversation isn't going to end well, for anyone, mainly myself, they're going to mention Braeburn, I just know they are,

"Well, I didn't, neither did Silver" Soarin said, feeling ashamed.

"He's wrong. I got someone" Silver said.

"Ooh, who?" Windy asked.

"This Unicorn girl called Cherry" Silver told her, "She was nice"

"Lucky you" High Winds replied.

"I know, I have a certain charm with the ladies" Silver nonchalantly praised himself.

"Don't we all know" Fleetfoot chuckled, "Oh Spitfire.."

I don't want to put up with the whole Braeburn thing, he's just a new friend I made, my friends can't seem to understand that, or maybe they do and they just want get me annoyed. It's probably the latter, and it's achieving it's goal, it is really annoying me,

"Is this about the pony I came to the party with?" I asked her before she was able to finish.

"Yeah, what was his name again?" Fleetfoot asked.

I sighed hoping for the worst jokes, "Braeburn"

"Oh yeah, girls, you should've seen him, he's gorgeous" Fleetfoot told High Winds and Surprise.

"Really?" High Winds questioned, "More gorgeous than that Big MacIntosh guy you 'fell in love' with?" She chuckled.

"Braeburn makes MacIntosh look like Soarin" Fleetfoot told her.

"Hey!" Soarin shouted.

Everyone in our cart then began to laugh, except from Soarin. And to think I was going to be made of. After we stopped laughing there was a brief silence, I decided to break it,

"So, how come we weren't partying in the large carriage tonight?" I asked.

"Well, Pout told us that the bosses needed it for equipment storage" Fleetfoot told me.

"Ah right" I replied.

"So, you all looking forward to Filly?" Surprise asked us.

"It could be fun. I was hoping on going to Las Pegasus instead" Silver replied.

"We will be going there eventually, it's in the schedule" Soarin told him, "Let's hope you don't make stupid bets this time and almost lose all your money like you did last time we went to Pegasus"

"Yeah, I have a gambling problem" Silver said.

"I thought you 'had' a problem?" Soarin asked him.

"Nah, I'm still a gambling addict, I don't think I'm fully reformed" Silver told Soarin.

Poor Silver. He's been a gambling addict for so long. From what he's told me, he once gambled away over sixty grand in a night. He's also made stupid deals with powerful ponies, luckily he was able to pay them back, and when I mean luckily, I mean he was really lucky to have paid them back, because if he didn't, then he would've had a bounty on his head. Sounds far fetched, I know, but I believe my friend,

"Well, when me and you hit the strip, buddy" Soarin began, "I'll make sure you don't go overboard with the money"

"Thanks, man" Silver said.

"Anyone got the time?" Windy asked.

"Nah, but it's late anyway. We should all get a good night's sleep before tomorrow" Fleetfoot said.

"Yeah, let's hit the hay" I say.

Since Fleetfoot was nearest to the light switch, and then she turned the light off as we lied down in our bunks,

"Night everyone" I said.

"Night" they all replied.


Everypony was now sleeping in my cart, I wasn't though, it's difficult to sleep on this damn train, for one thing, somepony is snoring and the train is actually pretty bumpy. I sleep wearing my hat, covering it over my eyes to help me get to sleep, but even that isn't working for me. The only thing that can help me sleep is the annoying sound of the moving train.

Right now, I can think about is that Seth guy who tried to hurt Spitfire. Poor gal. Attempted rape and domestic abuse? The guy should be in jail. But again, either he goes to jail and her drug secret goes out, or he roams free and she stays safe. From the press I mean. From Seth? Not if I can help it. I don't usually like fighting, though I used to do it anyways. I used to be bullied at school and I kind of learned how to fight on my own, then ponies never messed with me again, well....until I was around twenty. Me and my friend, Tin Top, used to get into a lot of fights with other ponies in Appleloosa's local saloon, sometimes we would win, other times, we would lose. I remember this one time about three years ago, when the buffalo and the Appleloosans were at peace, I remember just having a casual cider when two buffaloes came into the saloon and began to make fun of me, ha ha ha, I remember it like it was yesterday. What happened was I got off my stool when the two were chuckling to themselves, I picked up my stool and swung it across the nearest buffalo's back, then his friend clobbered me right in my jaw, breaking it. And that was the last fight I ever got into until today.

The noise stopped, but I knew the train hasn't stopped yet. The sound of the train moving blocked up my ears, until I heard the door open and heard the sound of chugging for another brief three seconds. Who was opening the door? I looked faintly at the bottom corner of eyes, past the section where my hat was covering, I saw the pony who opened the door, and to my surprise, it's Spitfire.

"Why's she coming here?" I thought to myself as I saw her pass me, Melody, Peanut, Brittle, JD and everyone else.

I heard the door from the other end of the cart open then close, she exited it and moved onto another carriage. Usually it would be none of my business to see what she's up to, but it's just unusual to be moving to different carts in the middle of the night. FUCK! Maybe she's going to see Seth again. Maybe he told her to come to his cart or something. Fucking hell, I need to see what she's up to now.


When everypony goes to sleep in my cart, I usually go over to cart three, it's a cart with no one in it and there's booths on one side of the train, similar to that of a restaurant. On the other side, there's cupboards for the food we had this morning and afternoon and large fridges where they would keep kegs and bottles of cider, among other drinks. I usually go to this cart to think to myself, relax for a little bit, then go back to bed. I feel uncomfortable thinking to myself when I'm at my bunk in my cart, maybe it's because everyone else is around me in there.

Once I made to cart three, I simply went over to the booth and sat in the seat, with my forelegs on the table as I rested my chin against my hooves. I then began to think to myself as I looked at the gleaming moon outside the window. I was thinking about my future. My inevitable retirement. And what happened between me and Seth earlier. I really want him fired, I really do, but I don't want the press on my back about the performance drug abuse. I won't handle. The paparazzi are a bunch of scumbags, invading on celebrity lives, fuck I never asked for it, I was born into a celebrity family. It's dumb, really dumb. Last time the paparazzi was about five years ago, when I was twenty-two, after my mom died. The paparazzi never left me or my family to mourn, they just waited outside my house, my dad's house and other family member's houses, asking us repetitive questions like 'How did she die?' and all that nonsense. I just hope I don't ever get involved with the press in any way ever again.

I heard the sound of the door opening, I froze. Why would someone be coming here in the middle of the night? As the door opened I saw who it was behind it, it was Braeburn. I sighed in relief, I thought it was someone else, strangely, I didn't mind Braeburn being here,

"Oh my gosh, you gave me a fright" I said to him.

"Oh, sorry" Braeburn said as he closed the door.

"Were you following me or something?" I asked curiously.

"You woke me up" Braeburn replied, "I'm a light sleeper. Besides I thought Seth might've threatened you to come see him again, after the party"

"Seth is the kind of pony you don't usually see until you need to see him" I said.

"When would you ever need to see that guy?" Braeburn asks.

"Training" I reply.

"Oh right. So, why are coming here in the middle of the night?" He asks.

I shrug, "Usually I come here, just to think to myself" I tell him.

"Oh, um sorry. If you want to be alone, I can just...um..just leave, I guess" He apologized as he slowly jerked his head backwards towards the door.

"You don't need to. I don't mind if you stay around. Actually, it might help, talking about it with someone" I say to him, "Have a seat, there's bound to be cider in that fridge over there if you want to get a bottle" I told him as I pointed to the fridge.

Braeburn went over to the fridge I pointed to and got himself a bottle of cider,

"Do you want one?" He asked generously.

"No. No thanks. I don't drink on tours, I have a healthy diet on tours" I told him.

Braeburn then sat in the seat in front of me, we were facing each other,

"So um...what were you thinking about if you don't mind me asking?" He asked.

I let a breath of air, "I don't know" I shrug, "Stuff, I guess. I'm just thinking about my flying career, my future, about how you stopped Seth"

"Really?" Braeburn asked, "You feeling alright now after that?"

"Yeah, my head still hurts a little bit, but I'll pull through" I tell him.

Braeburn nodded contently, "That's good. Do you know where about's we're going next for the tour?"

"Yeah, we're going to Fillydephia" I replied.

"Nice" He mentioned.

"You ever been there before?" I ask him.

He shakes his head, "No, never. I've only been to three places really. Appleloosa, Ponyville, and I was at Canterlot once for a wedding, I want to see the rest of Equestria, live a little and stop doing what I've been doing for the past two decades"

"What was your job before this?" I asked.

"I was apple rancher at my family's ranch back in Appleloosa" Braeburn replied, "I've been working there since I was eight years old"

"Really? Well, I could relate, I've been training for The Wonderbolts since I was seven, I actually began performing when I was fifteen. It's a family business" I told him.

Braeburn took a sip of the cider,

"You don't say?" He asks, "Do you have any other relatives performing with you?"

"No, they all left, my dad, my uncles, aunts, cousins, they all do different stuff now. My dad and my uncles and aunts were just too old" I explain.

"What about your cousins?" He asked.

"They work in the merchandising part of the business. Shirts, caps and all that" I say.


I now begin to ask Spitfire, "So what's Fillydelphia like?"

"It's not a bad place to be honest. There's a lot of sights to see, it's a pretty town"

"Hmm. Sounds nice" I replied.

There was short silence between us for a brief two minutes, I guess both me and her were struggling to find a different subject to talk about,

She chuckled a little bit, "My friends were making jokes about me and you going into the party tent"

How ironic,

"What kind of jokes?" I ask with curiosity.

She scoffs at the thought of them, "Like that I pulled you or something"

"Funny, my cartmates were almost making jokes about me getting in as they would call it, with you" I replied to her.

"Well, you should be happy, my friend Fleetfoot called you gorgeous" She said.

I shrugged like it was nothing,

"Meh. I try" I smirked.

Spitfire giggled a little and I chuckled with her,

"One of my cartmates called you hot. Even though I'm pretty sure he said he prefers Fleetfoot to you" I said to her with a chuckle in the last sentence.

"Really? Pfft, so many men choose Fleetfoot over me, maybe because there is more strange rumors about me than there is about her" She smiled.

"I heard one of them. I heard that you killed a guy just by giving him an intimidating stare" I replied.

"I heard I can turn a stallion to stone just by looking at him" She chuckled, "With my so-called beautiful tangerine eyes"

"I think is also heard from my friends that you...." I struggled to think about the conversation I had earlier with my friends on the top of the train, "...You were a lesbian, or Fleetfoot was"

Spitfire then looked surprised, "Fleetfoot? A lesbian?" She began to laugh a lot, "Fleetfoot gets lovestruck by any good-looking stallion, she might even like you. Most time she's ever been lovestruck was when she met this guy, Big MacIntosh or something..,"

No way. My cousin?

"Really?" I asked surprised.

"Yeah. Do you know him?" She asked.

"He's my cousin" I told her.

"Really?" She asked surprised this time.

"He's apart of the apple family" I explained.

"Wait, you wouldn't happen to be related to Applejack by any chance?" She asked me.

I nodded, "Yeah, she's Mac's sister, I'm her cousin"

"Do you know Rainbow Dash?" She asked.

"Yeah, she's a great friend of my cousin, she's cool to me as well" I told her.

"Oh my gosh, I love her" Spitfire said, "She saved my life once"

"Boy, if she were here to hear you say you love her, she would literally die of excitement" I said.

"I owe her a lot" Spitfire replied, "When I retire I hope she could replace me"

"Wait, retire?" I ask her.

She then looked at me in shock, she didn't mean to say that, that must've been a slip of the tongue.


Oh no, what do I do? I accidentally said I wanted to retire to someone. Oh crud, I don't really know what to say now. I looked away from him to look at my side,

"Yeah..." I slowly said, "I've wanted to retire for a while now"

"Why?" Braeburn asked.

I sighed, "I've been doing performing for others for over twelve years, I'm tired of it. My body is rough shape because of it. I've suffered so many injuries, it's unbearable" I told him.

"Why don't you just retire then?" He asked gently, "You can do it if you want to"

"It's not as simple as that Braeburn" I said, "My fans are really loyal to me. I can't just quit willy-nilly, they'll be really disappointed. I'm counting down the days until I receive my next injury, and until then I'll announce my retirement"

I got up from the seat and paced away from there. I looked away from Braeburn but I was still talking,

"I want to settle down. Traveling around Equestria was fun at first, but I've done it so many times, it's just boring now" I explained as I closed my eyes and sighed, "I just want to settle"

Braeburn got up from his seat and then approached me,

"You know what, I'm the opposite" He told me, "I want to see the country, I've not done much with my life. I've just bucking apples here and there, I'm sick of that. I don't really know what to do with my life, so I guess I'm taking this journey to find myself"

I looked at him, he smiled gently at me, I smiled back. We shared another silence, we couldn't think of anything else to say again, so I decided the break the silence yet again,

"Thanks by the way"

"For what?" He asked.

"Saving me from Seth" I told him.

"Seriously, it's no problem" He replied to me, "Just remember, if you need help then speak to me about it"

"Okay, thank you" I said.

"You should get some sleep or something, Spitfire. I'm going to back to bed as well" He said, "Want to walk back together?"

"Sure" I smiled.