• Published 27th Oct 2013
  • 1,816 Views, 48 Comments

The Roadie and the Show Stopper - Br0nyb0y123



Braeburn becomes a roadie for the Wonderbolts' "Grounded" Tour, and ends up developing a close relationship with Spitfire

  • ...
10
 48
 1,816

Chapter 2: The Performer

"Another year, another tour" I think to myself as everypony around me was rushing back and forth to get set up. I usually do two tours a year with The Wonderbolts, once every six months, and frankly, I'm starting to get bored of it. You see, I come from a family of performers, my great-great-grandparents started the Wonderbolts, and every new generation in my family has been apart of the Wonderbolts, my grandparents, parents, uncles, aunts, everyone in my family. But I've entertaining ponies since I was fifteen years old, and I've been training for two decades since I was seven, and the reason I'm starting to get bored of flying for the ponies is because, I've pushed myself to the limit multiple times, and it's starting to do a great effect on my body, and not great in a good way.

Over the course of my career, I've suffered from three broken neck injuries, two broken wing injuries on each one of my wings and a broken leg, my doctor says if I get injured again, I would possibly have to hang my Wonderbolts outfit up and retire from stunt flying. And that's kind of what I want, to retire. Due to me being the captain of The Wonderbolts, fans expect me to do my signature move, the move that usually ends a show, it's called the Spitbomb (original name, I know), and due to my past injuries, it hurts like all hell. The worst time I did it was when I was forced to do a show very shortly after I recovered from a broken neck, I had to take performance drugs in order to do so, and even when the drugs eased most of the pain, it still hurt to do so, with the speed on my neck.

So now I'm starting a new tour with the rest of The Wonderbolts, the "Wonderbolts Grounded Tour", a tour in which we all go around Equestria, except the air-bound cities, like Cloudsdale. I've been around Equestia so many times, like over fifty times, and as much I love to travel to different locations (but I ironically hate the process travelling to said of location), I've became bored of that as well, it's like when you keep going to the same place multiple times it starts to go bland on you, the same thing happened to me, but, instead of it being one place, it's the entire country.

If I do happen to retire from flying, I just want to settle somewhere peaceful. Or I still could still work as a drill sergeant at the Wonderbolts Academy, I mean I've done so for the past seven years, I don't necessarily need to fly, except tell them how to fly.

I'm currently about to perform for Ponyville, a small village which is not so far away from Canterlot. I've grown a fondness for the small town due to the Wonderbolts' biggest fangirl, Rainbow Dash. Rainbow is a little too obsessive with the Wonderbolts, but still, that doesn't change the fact that I have a grand amount of respect for her, as she has saved my life. She's also an extremely talented flyer, she's just as good as me, in fact, she is possibly even better. If I do happen to retire, I will personally ask Rainbow Dash myself to replace me. But I can't retire, not just now, not until my doctor says I can retire, because if I retire before an extremely bad injury or an underwhelming announcement, then my fans will get pissed off, and I don't want that.

Right now I'm at the other side of town, why am I here, you may ask? It's because I need to enter my show in style by flying over the field where the show is being held and land in a specific place, but in order for me to do that, I have to fly from a certain point, in order to build up speed. And from point A I'll have to do a few moves before landing swift-fully at point Z. I'm wearing the new Wonderbolt outfit, it's pretty much the same thing except without the mask attached to the costume. It feels better without the mask, it makes me less restrained in my outfit, which is great. Me and five other Wonderbolts were standing in a line in the shape of an arrow, with me in the middle and leading them on,

"You guys all ready?" I asked all of them.

"Yeah, Spitfire" They all replied.

"Does anyone need a reminder of the plan?" I asked them.

"Me, please" Fire Streak replied.

"OK, Streak, the plan is, we'll all to start fly once we see Soarin shoot up into the sky, I'll lead on, you guys follow, but remember to keep it in an arrow shape, once we make to the location and finally do all your moves before landing in your designated spot, got it, Fire Streak?" I made clear.

"Got it" He replied.

"That also applies to the rest of you, OK?" I told the rest.

"Yes, Captain" They all replied.

"OK" I got motivated, "You ready, Wonderbolts?"

"Ready!" They got motivated.

"Which bolts?!" I asked loudly.

"Wonderbolts!" They shouted.

"Which bolts?!" I asked even louder.

"Wonderbolts!" They wailed.

"WHICH BOLTS?!" I asked at my loudest.

"WONDERBOLTS!" They cheered.

I got myself set for flying I crouched slightly and looked behind me and nodded at my fellow Wonderbolts to get ready as well. I saw Fleetfoot fly up into the air at the right,

"OK, let's get set" I whispered to myself.

I saw Fleetfoot do a few twists and turns and dives through the air, before she dropped down to the ground, and then up came Soarin, which is my call to go,

"Let's ride, Wonderbolts!" I called out.

I galloped a few paces before leaping up into the air and flying over to where the show was. The beneath my wings kept me going until I flew above the middle audience stand and into the show's grounds,

"Let the entertaining commence" I thought to myself as I flew myself up towards the skyline and to perform an amazing dive.


The show was now finished for the day until the second show in Ponyville again tomorrow. Everypony was having the usual after show party, which I never attend on the first day of the venue, I usually go to the second day's party though, it's just after the first day, it's more stressful, and I just want to rest after the show. I passed by a part of our train, the largest carriage, which was were the party was being held. The train, was off the rails, so other trains could pass, and then we'd get all our Unicorn workers to levitate the train back on the rails in the morning, it's a silly process, but at least it works. I went into the carriage which is where I'm sleeping in. Once I went in, I saw Soarin and Fleetfoot getting out of their outfits and getting ready for the party,

"Oh hi, Spitfire" Fleetfoot greeted me.

"Hi, Fleety" I greeted back, "You two going to the party?"

"Yeah, we are" Soarin replied, "You should come with us"

"Nah, Soarin. You know me" I replied, "I'm absolutely shattered just now, I need to take a nap or something"

"OK, suit yourself" Soarin said, "Oh, did you see any pie when you were passing by the party?"

I chuckled, "No, I didn't, Soarin. You still haven't eaten after the show?"

Soarin shook his head, "No, but I'm pretty fucking hungry"

Fleetfoot began to laugh, "It isn't the end of the world, buddy?"

"What if it is?" He playfully acted crazy, "What if I starve!!!"

I began to laugh at Soarin's crazy performance, as did Fleetfoot, then Soarin gave into his hammy acting and laughed with us. Soarin has always been able to make me laugh, with his "relaxed and don't give a fuck" demeanor and his bizarre mannerisms, he's also a very troubled pony, for about three years, he was addicted to steroids and painkillers, he wasn't himself when he took them, it was like he had schizophrenia, it was awful to see him like that. But me and the rest of the crew helped him by making him go cold turkey and he was back to his usual self.

Next out of my friends was Fleetfoot. One of my best friends, I met her whilst I was attending Cloudsdale University, studying history, psychology and flight. Fleetfoot is a highly intelligent pony, whenever she does solo shows, she usually goes to different countries and is fluent in almost every language known to ponykind, however, she is awfully ditsy, having been lovestruck by more than one pony, most notably this dude called Big MacIntosh, she bumped into him at a funfair and apparently "fell in love at first sight", and that's all I know about that, I don't know if she went out with this MacIntosh dude or if something else happened.

But anyways, the laugh died down slightly and I took off my Wonderbolt outfit,

"Well" I said as I stretched and yawned, "I'm going to hit the hay for a few hours, I'll be up once I'm hungry"

"Alright, we're off to the party, Spitfire" Fleetfoot told me once again.

"Yeah, see you later" Soarin added.

"Alright guys" I replied.

I raised my hoof awaiting a hoof bump from the both of them, as the two passed by me, they gave me a hoof bump, and exited out of our sleeping cart and onward to the party cart. And I was left alone in the cart to my own thoughts, so I went up inside my bunk and closed the curtain that led inside for privacy, I opened the window and closed my eyes and was left alone to my thoughts. I was thinking to myself if I should still consider retiring from flying, I mean, I've been doing it for over twenty years, and I'm really starting to get sick of it. I need to find a new place in life, as my current place in it is just to be able to fly, and as much as I enjoy flying, my body can't handle much more of it. Maybe I just need to find somewhere in Equestria to settle down at, and escape the life of being a celebrity. Or I'm just over-thinking this whole ordeal and just have to come to facts that this is my calling in life. Huh, well I guess only time will tell