• Published 9th Sep 2013
  • 3,092 Views, 22 Comments

Painful Past for a Better Future - Acespadez1134



What has got Scootaloo feeling so down and why is she doing everything alone? Pinkie Pie wants to find out and drags Rainbow Dash along with her.

  • ...
3
 22
 3,092

Chapter 1

As a dim ray of light slowly started to fill a worn down dismal room, something small started to stir under some patched blankets on a lone old bed. Scootaloo pulled the covers from her head and looked around the room trying to figure out if she was still dreaming or not.

“I guess it was a dream huh?” She asked sadly to a small stuffed rabbit. The stuffed rabbit looked at her smiling with it’s single black button eye. Scootaloo glanced around the room stopping only to rub the sleep out of her eyes, “I guess no pony will adopt me,” she stopped rubbing her eyes and looked at the stuffed rabbit for a second before she answered it, “I can’t ask anypony if they could adopt me, and even if I could who would I ask?”

She sat staring at the stuffed rabbit for a few moments. She dropped her head sadly, “yeah I know you’re just a stuffed animal but, you’re the only one who knows and is willing to stick by my side.” She picked it up and hugged it tightly trying to hold her tears back, “no I can’t start getting sappy now, I haven’t even started…”

A soft knock on her door cut Scootaloo short caused her to drop the stuffed rabbit and sit on the edge of the bed quickly. The door opened a little and a tired but kind looking pony stuck her head in the room, “Scootaloo are you awake?”

Scootaloo hopped down off her bed, “yes Miss. Lilly,” said with little feeling in her words.

Lilly pushed the door open and walk inside looking down at the filly sadly, “you going to get an early start this year?” Scootaloo nodded at her without looking up at her. She looked at Scootaloo wanting to comfort the little filly, but she held herself back and pulled out a small pouch, “this was all I was able to spare Scootaloo.”

Scootaloo looked up at Lilly as she held the pouch out to her. Scootaloo held her front hooves out and Lilly dropped the small pouch into Scootaloo’s waiting hooves. It landed with a small clanging sound, she opened the small pouch revealing a few bits, “thank you, Miss. Lilly”

Lilly continued to watch Scootaloo sadly as she hung the pouch around her neck, “I’m sorry I could on give you nine bits dear but… will you please allow me to help you this time?” She leaned down and placed a hoof on Scootaloo’s back.

Scootaloo moved up and gave Lilly a small hug, “thank you Lilly but I will take care of it myself,” Scootaloo turned around and started to put her saddle bags on as Lilly watched her, feeling completely helpless. Scootaloo finished getting ready and headed into the hallway of the orphanage.

Lilly dashes to the front door as Scootaloo just stepped outside, “Scootaloo! Nopony should have to do this alone on their…”

Scootaloo turned to her smiling, “I won’t be alone Miss. Lilly, remember?” Scootaloo turns back around and walks through the large iron gate that enclosed the orphanage.

Lilly watched sadly as Scootaloo disappeared from her view, “why do you have to do this every year Scootaloo? What happened to you?”

Scootaloo continued to walk along the dusty road until she came up to Sugarcube Corner. She glanced up at the sweet shop sadly took in a deep breath then put a smile on her face and walked into the store.

Mrs. Cake was putting the finishing touches on a small but very elaborate cake when she glanced up at a smiling Scootaloo walking toward her. Mrs. Cake glanced at a small calendar hanging nearby and notice that today was circled in red ink. Her heart dropped and she smiled softly at Scootaloo, “good morning Scootaloo is it that time again already?”

Scootaloo put her front hooves up against the counter so she could see Mrs. Cake better, “yes ma’am, and I was wondering if I could get one of those small cakes,” Scootaloo pointed to a clear container with small decorated cakes on display.

Mrs. Cake nodded still holding onto a smile for the brave filly, “of course you can sweetheart,” She then walked over to the container and took out one of the cakes and wrapped it in a small box for her. She placed it on the counter and rang it up on her register, “that will be 13 bits please.”

Scootaloo placed the bag of money on the counter, “but I only have nine bits.”

Mrs. Cake counted the bits and sure enough there were only nine, “I’m sorry dear. Maybe you can…”

Scootaloo grabbed her pouch and turned around sadly, “its ok Mrs. Cake I don’t mind,” Scootaloo then started for the door, her head hung low.

Mrs. Cake watched the filly walk out, her heart felt as if it was being ripped apart, “Scootaloo!” Scootaloo stopped and looked back to see Mrs. Cake trotting towards her with the package. She handed the cake to Scootaloo, “go ahead dear, I can always make another.” Scootaloo started to take off her pouch but Mrs. Cake put a hoof on her to stop her, “it’s on the house dear.”

Scootaloo looked up at her smiling wide as tears started to build up in her eyes, “thank you Mrs. Cake.”

She bent down and hugged the filly; “your welcome dear,” Scootaloo wiped her eyes dry picked up her cake and trotted happily out of the store. Mrs. Cake turned around to see Pinkie Pie standing in the doorway to the kitchen looking at her confused, “oh um Pinkie! Is there something wrong?”

Pinkie Pie bounced over to her smiling, “is Scootaloo holding a surprise party for somepony? I bet she is. Why else would she want a cake?” Pinkie put a hoof up to her mouth, “ooh and I can help her too. I wonder why she didn’t ask me for any help.”

Mrs. Cake glanced up at a picture frame on the wall that contained a newspaper clipping in it before turning back to Pinkie Pie, “Pinkie please don’t bother that poor filly.” Pinkie pie stopped bouncing and looked at Mrs. Cake who was looking very sadly at Scootaloo as she walked away, “she does this every year and won’t allow anypony to help her.”

Pinkie looked at her with a mixture of confusion and curiosity, “why not? What is she doing?”

Mrs. Cake dropped her head and walked back into the kitchen, “it’s not my place to tell you if she hasn’t Pinkie. Just know it is very difficult for her.”

Pinkie looked out the door in the direction Scootaloo went in, “but what happened?”

Mrs. Cake stopped in front of the door, “I don’t really want to talk about it Pinkie. It was hard for everypony.” Pinkie Pie continued to watch as Mrs. Cake started back into the kitchen slowly as she glanced over her shoulder, “why don’t you take the rest of the day off Pinkie? I need to spend time with my family right now,” and with that she disappeared into the kitchen.

Pinkie Pie looked at the kitchen door, “what is going on today?” she puts a hoof up to chin, “Who could tell me what’s wrong with Scootaloo?” Pinkie Pie’s face lights up, “I know,” with that she bounces out of store.

After a few moments of looking, Pinkie Pie glanced up to see a rainbow colored tail hanging over the edge of a cloud. Pinkie Pie grinned happily, “RAINBOW DASH!”

Rainbow Dash woke up from her nap with a start and glanced around before looking down to see Pinkie Pie smiling up at her, “Pinkie Pie? Can’t you see I’m trying to take a nap here?” Rainbow Dash flopped back onto the cloud and yawned, “come back later we can hang out then.”

Pinkie looked up at her, “but Rainbow Dash I need to ask you something.”

Rainbow Dash felt a weird sensation in her stomach as she heard Pinkie Pie say that. She glanced back over the cloud and noticed that Pinkie wasn’t bouncing around; she wasn’t holding onto any crazy party related item, she wasn’t even smiling. Rainbow Dash also noticed that she was looking off towards town. Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes, stood up stretched and glided down next to Pinkie Pie who was still staring in the direction of town.

“Um Pinkie? You wanted to ask me something?” Rainbow Dash followed her gaze and noticed she was looking at Scootaloo who was buying a few small toys and a flower.

Pinkie Pie looked at Rainbow Dash looking sad, “do you know what happened to Scootaloo Rainbow?”

Rainbow looked Pinkie in the eye and noticed that her friend was quite upset about something, “I don’t know anything that happened to Scootaloo. Why do you ask?”

Pinkie Pie explained to Rainbow Dash everything that happened at Sugarcube Corner. When Pinkie was done Rainbow Dash was sitting there with a mixture of sadness and confusion, “I want to know what Scootaloo is doing and why she won’t ask anypony for help.”

Rainbow Dash put a hoof up to her chin, “I don’t know what is going on but it has affected AJ and her family too.” Pinkie Pie glanced at her but Rainbow Dash continued on, answering her before she could speak, “I stopped by to see if AJ wanted to help me out with a few workouts but AJ, Applebloom, Big Mac, and Granny Smith were all getting ready for something. Applebloom was in a small dress and Big Mac was not wearing his yoke but a tie and jacket.”

Pinkie Pie smiled at her, “That doesn’t sound that strange, maybe they were going to a party or something.”

Rainbow crossed her front legs and closed her eyes tightly as she tried to think, “Yeah that’s what I thought originally til’ AJ came out in a light blue dress with her mane and tail braided nicely, she wasn’t wearing her hat either. She told me she couldn’t help me today and also said that they weren’t going to be home for the rest of the day and the look on their faces was like they were not going to enjoy themselves.”

Pinkie Pie looked back toward where Scootaloo had been and noticed that she had moved on, “come on Rainbow Dash we have to see where Scootaloo went,” before Rainbow could say anything Pinkie Pie grabbed her and pulled her away as she looked around for Scootaloo. After a few moments Pinkie noticed Scootaloo walking towards the Ponyville cemetery. They watched as she walked into the cemetery, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash looked at each other with an expression that read, ‘I don’t know if we should go look.’

Rainbow Dash jumped over the fence and turned to Pinkie Pie, “you coming?”

Rainbow Dash felt a tap on her flank she spun around to see Pinkie Pie standing there smiling, “what took ya?”

“What... I… how did…” Rainbow Dash stuttered confused.

Pinkie Pie put a hoof up to her mouth, ”we need to be quiet unless you want her to know we’re here,” Pinkie Pie jumped behind a gravestone and crawled away leaving Rainbow Dash standing there long enough for her to facehoof before following Pinkie Pie.

After a few moments of walking Scootaloo, stopped in front of two marble gravestones where she started to unpack the things she had with her. Pinkie and Rainbow Dash watched from behind another gravestone until a voice caused them jump in surprise, “what are you two doing here?”

Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie spun around to see Applejack standing behind them with her brother and sister right beside her. Applejack was staring at them sternly, waiting for one of them to answer.

Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow at her, “what are you three doing here?”

The question took Applejack off guard, she looked sadly at her brother and sister, “we came by to visit our parents,” she said, nuzzling Applebloom who walked up beside her.

Rainbow Dash dropped her head as guilt filled up inside of her, “oh sorry AJ I didn’t mean to…”

Applejack smiled softly up at her, “its ok sugarcube, not many ponies know that three years ago today is when we lost our parents. It wasn’t your fault Dash.” Applejack watched Rainbow Dash for a few moments then looked at Pinkie Pie who was looking out over a gravestone sadly, “who are you spying on Pinkie?” Applejack walked up in between Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie and noticed Scootaloo placing the cake on the ground in front of the grave stone.

Applebloom walked up next to Applejack and also noticed Scootaloo, “What is Scootaloo doing here AJ?”

Before AppleJack could answer Scootaloo started sing to herself, “happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Scootaloo,” she brushed a tear out of her eyes before finishing, “happy birthday to you,” she took a deep breath and blew out the single candle she had on the cake.

The others watched sadly as Scootaloo laid down next to one of the stones, Applejack watched shocked at what she was seeing, “why is she here by herself on her birthday?” she directed the question at Applebloom who looked up into her sister's face as tears started to build up in her eyes.

“Sweetie Belle and I never knew when her birthday was. I guess we never really asked her,” she hung her head as a tear rolled off her muzzle and onto the ground.

Applejack bent down a squeezed her sister, “it wasn’t your fault sugarcube but, I wanna know why she is keeping it a secret…”

Almost as if she was answering Applejacks question Scootaloo starts taking, “morning mommy and daddy look at what I got for my birthday this year.” She started showing her toys and flower to the gravestones. The others hearts broke when they heard her say that but they kept quiet as she continued to talk to her parents. “Mrs. Cake gave me this cake. I can’t wait to dig into it,” Scootaloo smiled and after a couple of minutes Applejack was just about to walk towards her when she heard Scootaloo sniff.

“Do… Do you remember when you told me that I was the biggest and bravest girl you know?” The others watched as she slowly sank to the ground, “and how you told me to continue to be brave? I don’t’ know if I can…” she started crying a little harder.

Rainbow Dash was watching intently as tears started to roll down her cheeks, “oh Scootaloo what happened?” she said quietly to herself.

Scootaloo sniffed and continued on, ‘you told me to be brave but... how can I when I was the one that caused so many ponies to die?”

Applejack watched as her ear perked up, “what?”

Scootaloo closed her eyes tightly as she cried but continued to speak, “I didn’t mean to cause the fire and when Applebloom’s parents saved me then went back in for you… I… I… can’t tell her that I was the cause of her parent’s death they would hate me…”

Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie glance around at Applejack and her siblings and noticed that Big Mac and Applebloom where looking at Applejack, tears falling down their face. Applejack stood there in shock, “AJ please we don’t know what…” Rainbow Dash tried to plead but Applejack cut her off.

“So that’s how they died… because of her,” Applejack lifted her head and her expression was filled with anger, “I’ll settle this now.”

Scootaloo continued without knowing Applejack was walking towards her, “I still have the stuffed bunny you gave to me that day for my birthday, he is the only one I can talk to and feel safe for,” she buried her muzzle into her hooves, “no matter who I make friends with I will be alone. Who would want to be friends with an accident prone flightless chicken?” She was crying harder now, unable to speak through the tears.

Applebloom was crying into Pinkie Pie’s coat, “Scootaloo! Cutie Mark Crusaders remember?” Pinkie Pie started to stroke Applebloom’s mane as she watched in silence.

Scootaloo heard a sound and glanced up in surprise to see Applejack standing next to her looking down at her, her eyes wet with tears but still showed her anger, “Applejack! I… don’t… how long have you been there?” said Scootaloo as she tried to slide away from her clearly terrified at strong, intimidating mare.

Applejack glared at her, “thanks to you I now know how my parents died,” was all Applejack could say as she advanced on Scootaloo.

Scootaloo put her front hooves over her head and started crying harder, “I’m… “I’m… I’m sorry Applejack… pl… please don’t hurt me…” Scootaloo felt the powerful mare scoop her up and pull her into a strong hug.

Scootaloo was confused until Applejack spoke, “sugarcube please don’t ever think you’re alone. There are a lot of ponies that care about you,” from the way Applejack was holding her Scootaloo could see Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Applebloom, and Big Mac walking toward them from behind a few gravestones.

When Scootaloo saw them all she started to shake as she held back tears so she could speak, “but I killed your parents AJ. I messed up and you’re treating me like… like…”

Applejack held Scootaloo out and placed a hoof under her chin making her look into her face. Scootaloo looked up to see Applejack smiling softly at her, “it was my parent’s choice to save you and your family sugarcube, I would do the same if it had been me.” Scootaloo leaned forward into Applejacks chest as Applejack started stroking the filly’s mane, “Scootaloo you never have to be alone, do you hear me?”

Scootaloo nodded as the others reached them. Scootaloo looked up into Applejacks face tears still falling down her face, “but no one will adopt a flightless chic…”

Scootaloo was cut short by Rainbow Dash who walked up next to the two of them, “I would.”

Scootaloo looked at Rainbow Dash, eyes wide in disbelief, “y… you would? But why I’m nothing but a coward, I can’t even fly!”

Rainbow Dash took Scootaloo from Applejack and held her up, “you are the bravest pony I know Scoots, from now on I’ll be your wings.”

Scootaloo couldn’t hold it in any longer and she extended her front hooves and wrapped them around Rainbow Dash’s neck and started to cry into her mane, “th… thank you… thank you Rainbow…” Rainbow Dash patted her back gently and shushed her.

Pinkie Pie grabbed the cake, “come on everypony! We have a big party to set up. We’ll call it Scootaloo’s birthday slash adoption day slash welcome into Rainbows family slash…”

Applejack put a hoof into Pinkie Pie’s mouth, “let’s go with just birthday party for now Pinkie,” Applejack said with a small soft smile. Pinkie Pie nodded and turned around to leave.

Rainbow Dash placed Scootaloo on her back, “let’s go home and get you ready kiddo.”

Scootaloo wrapped her front legs around Rainbow Dash’s neck and nodded and she was still sniffing and hiccupping into Rainbow Dash’s mane. She did manage to get out one thing as they all left the cemetery, “thank you for making my dream come true, Rainbow Dash.”

Rainbow Dash wiped a tear out of her eye, “let’s go home, Scootaloo.”

Comments ( 21 )

omg good fic you made me cry :fluttercry:

twas a decent read.:rainbowdetermined2:

3180049 Thanks for reading it. :twilightsmile:

My goodness. Liquid pride was shed today. :fluttercry:

3180185 I'm glad u liked it :scootangel:

I decree this story to be awesome! :trollestia:

Okay, you already made me cry once, not gonna

nope,

nada

buck it, you got me again.

I'm not gonna cry

Not gonna...

Oh buck it you got my feels! This is too good man hats of to you!

3610735 thanks glad you liked it....:twilightsmile:

Something must gotta in my eyes. They are watering.

5146157 It's ok... this isn't even my worst story :scootangel:

I was literally in tears by the part where scootaloo was singing to herself

6179097 that was the point... i sowwy :fluttercry:

6195205 don't fret about I liked even though I was in tears

Rainbow Dash took Scootaloo from Applejack and held her up, “you are the bravest pony I know Scoots, from now on I’ll be your wings.”

That...line...right...there....*sniff!!*....so....so...*sob*..


I am not crying...

Its just....sniff....allergies...sniff...or something...not...

OH DARN IT!!!!!! :fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry:



Loved this story. Excuse me, gotta go and replace my now empty kleenex box....sniff!

9199641
And the story claims another victim :pinkiehappy:

Just don't read the real sad ones... they are much more... emotional

9199641
But thanks... im glad you liked it

Login or register to comment